Terra Nova

Nightfall

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 07, 2011 on FOX

• Nightfall

"Uh, I've been alone out here for so long, I've forgotten my manners. Thank you, thank you for finally getting your act together and doing what you were sent here to do."

Answer me honestly: how many of you wished that this meteorite was the "it" or not "such" be at least sufficient size to be reduced to Newfoundland to ashes? Was it a rest, would not you?

However, in spite of the meteorite is not giving me the happy ending I wanted for this series, brought at least one thing: the best episode since the pilot. What is not saying much, for the sake of truth, but ready, we give you this ...

The fall of a meteorite in the vicinity of Newfoundland and the shock wave released by the event are the starting point for several storylines. The problem is that, as happens time and time again in this series, we present the stories are inconsequential and of no great appeal. The Maddy (Naomi Scott) and her boyfriend are "stuck" in the middle of a forest full of dangers? Go up a tree during an entire episode. A friend of Skye (Allison Miller), our almost unknown but it is like a brother to her, went to eat something he should not? They spend most of the episode rolling a parasite that the boy is in the intestines. Jim and Zoe end trapped (more ...) in a virtual room somewhere? Let's find a way to give some attention to the little girl creating an outdoor access where only someone of his size can move (and worse, put the parent to do the soundtrack of all time). Due to an electromagnetic pulse technology throughout Newfoundland (including weapons and vehicles) is disabled? But does anyone doubt that there would be any person in the whole colony that easily solve the issue!?

If "Terra Nova" was a show that wanted to be taken seriously, had a good opportunity here to take the leap. Along the path of technological equipment and explore the need for a people entirely dependent on this technology have to survive simply because of its ability to "desenrascano" could be a course in history that would enable him to more depth. But "Terra Nova" is not this series. It's a television product that does not want to take risks and just let yourself be comfortable that gunk that is to want to please everyone (kids, grownups and everything else).

Still, "Nightfall" deserves some recognition. This episode had some value, although not more than value "flavored popcorn" (the good style of "Popcorn", in which content is of little interest, what matters is entertaining). The banality of the stories above were not harmful to the episode in order to have it become boring and the Sixers plan to retrieve the mysterious box was able to provide some moments of good humor, they have been created voluntarily or involuntarily (this series to work and comedy, taking into account the laughing providing ...). And in the end, even had the right to a turnaround and everything: the recipient of the box, after all, is nothing less than the missing son of Commander Taylor (Stephen Lang)!
  • With a big power outage, a large dinosaur in action, the return of the sixers, a romantic picnic gone awry and a dosage of action and humor that feels about right Terra Nova FINALLY feels closer to the show one would have expected initially. SPOILERS

When a meteor impacts not far from Terra Nova the resulting EMP shockwave fries all the electronics in the colony: Communication is down, those fancy shockwave guns stop working (I guess there's something to be said for gunpowder after all), the advanced medical equipment goes offline and their vehicles stop working (I guess there's something to be said for gasoline engines after all).

An interesting side note is that we learn that the perimeter is also down so there IS some sort of (electronic) defense that usually keeps large predators away from the colony.

The power outage leaves the members of the Shannon family all with their own little adventures:

Maddy is on a romantic picnic with her soldier boyfriend Reynolds when they realize that their communication and their car stopped working. So they need to head back to camp by foot but are unable to do it before nightfall, which is when most of the predators come out, e.g. some raptors...

Elizabeth has her hands full with a lot of wounded after the sonic shockwave of the meteor impact has reached Terra Nova leaving Skye to pull out a large tapeworm out of a friend of hers.

Jim and Zoe are stuck in an interesting computer database room whích only features a manual release for the door on the outside (so people breaking in don't need to bother using a pin code).

Mira and the sixers also try to take advantage of the situation and manage to finally steal the strange unknown object the Terra Novans had in their possesion. To achieve that they scared something that looked like a spinosaurus with fire towards Terra Nova where - luckily Taylor had anticipated that a wooden fence might not be a good protection against large predators when the perimeter defense and the weapons don't work...

The episode did have it's flaws and logic holes large enough to fit the mentioned spinosaurus right through it (how does one repair a fried computer chip to get a computer chip fabrication device running if he does not have any electronic means and obviously no other way of chip fabrication?). Leaving these flaws aside "Nightfall" was still far from being perfect. But it was a huge leap in the right direction. It did build up some suspense, it did have action, it did have dinosaurs, it did do the setting justice and it seasoned the mixture with an appropriate amount of humor. I really enjoyed the episode and I believe "Nightfall" to be the very best episode of Terra Nova this far.

With some revelations about the bad guys and someone they work for in the end Terra Nova finally seems to be headed into the right direction. Let's hope they continue and we can see Terra Nova become the show we all expected after the first trailers and a show worthy of the somewhat unique setting.

• great show!!

i really enjoyed this episode, and the ending was a great cliffhanger because we finally found out who taylor's son was, and that the box wasn't really mira's it was taylor's son's. I believe this is the best terra nova episode so far!! :)

• Nightfall

Nightfall was a superb and very entertaining episode of Terra Nova and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it had a lot of action and some good dinosaur scenes, drama with the relationships and natural disasters, and clues revealed about the purpose of Mira and the sixers along with Taylor's son. There were some gross moments in the infirmary as a patient had a large parasite living and growing inside them, and there was some good character and over all plot development. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!

• not that bad

this wasnt the worst episode of terra nova that we have had so far but lets face it thats hardly saying much this episode still had so many flaws and disopoinments, the storyline with maddy and her boyfriend could havee been exciting but it simply wansnt i mean it was obvious that nothing was going to happen to maddy, and as for herr boyfriend i dont even remeber her name so i couldent care less if he was chomped on in fact i think i would enjoy watching it, the other storyline with the worm thingy was completly boring and utterly useless, the ongoing storyline seems to be picking up the pace a bit , but i am sick of this whole thing with josh wanting his girlfirend it is so boringgggggggggg

• Tech fail episode but overall fun episode to watch.

Tech fail. Backing up a computer chip maker with the same chip that will fail. You dont back up your home in case of a backup with a torches that need to be connected to the same power grid. You use batteries powered torch or candles as backup.

But nothing's beating Charlie's Angle's satellite. lol

• A slight improvement

5.5

spoilers----

To all of you who are still bearing with me through this 'show' I think I can say it is one of the 'better' episodes. Still very flawed, which I'm almost certain about that it will not get much better than this.

Again terrible special effects. Come one now...

The kids are all annoying...again. Especially the youngest one...again. They made an effort to explain why they had a third child (because they really really wanted her). I was hoping for something more interesting but hey it's Terra Nova the realm of the simpel ones, so I guess that will be THE explanation.

Then the sixers go and torture that poor ugly animated dinosaur. Those bad guys! Well at least they don't cut into one's belly when they are still alive... oh wait that was last week.

Everyone keeps on running around the jungle like there is nothing dangerous out there. Furthermore the sixer with the box was trying to run away by jumping on a roof and backtracking, making a lot of noise while at it, so Jim would have certainly heard where he was at. (those writers....*sigh....)

And the annoying kid is able to pull an emergency switch... (they are obvliously not child proof in Terra Nova either).

I can go on and on about all the flaws (can you say CHEESY) but let's just get to the 'okay it's worth a 5,5' part.

The ending was okay. I want to know what happens next with the box and the son. And there is a gun that can actually shoot bullets and hurt someone other than a dinosaur.

Now it has become a joke. I wonder what in the world they could come up with next. This show needs some serious adult stuff added. This needs to be sexified asap (I'm still angry with the disappearance of that hot Egyptian guy from the pilot!! He would have been much more interesting than freaking Zoey!)

• For Terra Nova to succeed, it needs to embrace its setting.

That's not all it needs to do, of course, but a show needs to have some kind of personality or selling point, and "colony in dinosaur times" is theoretically a damn strong setting.

Tonight's episode was still a little short of being a success, but it's certainly the episode that has most fully embraced its setting. A set of meteors hits near the colony, which has the effect of a mass EMP explosion, frying most of the circuits that provide power to Terra Nova and its technology. The members of the family and Commander Taylor are split up and each have to deal with different aspects of this, which sort of fits my prescription of how the family conceit could make the show work.

Which is not to say that they all work. The chief culprit against quality in Terra Nova this week is Maddy's storyline, as she sneaks off for a date with her hunky soldier suitor. I can't imagine a worse thing to say about anything than that it reminded me of the romance from Star Wars Episode 2, which is exactly what I'm saying about the opening of tonight's episode, as hunky soldier and Exposition Maddy exchange bromides in a flowery field. They're among the first to see the meteors and, oh dear lord, actually spend the night in a tree.

I suppose a blatant Jurassic Park homage beats an Attack Of The Clones homage, but both are just not interesting. It's televised relationship-building at its most insipid. And that's frustrating, because Maddy could actually have a good story: a repressed nerd and ignored middle child, coming of age in a world where intelligence is valued over conformity. Instead, we get a girl meeting a boy, and both being boring.

Skye's relationship with Josh is slightly better, thanks to the existence of a tiny amount of tension, but I still wouldn't hold it up as a model. I still like Skye as a character, though, and for the first time since the end of the pilot she actually has some screen time away from Josh. She goes along as her friend Hunter goes to the hospital when he has excessive indigestion, but that's quickly revealed to be a massive parasite that Elisabeth has to do an old-fashioned operation on. After the recent episode with Maddy trying and failing to work in the hospital setting, having Skye show up and competently handle the work provides a nice parallel and one that's relatively subtly handled by the show, since it's not directly mentioned. The surgery and parasite effect is also fairly fun, in a creepy/silly X-Files fashion, but also a good demonstration of the dangers of living in a new world.

Meanwhile, Jim and Zoe are off playing with new technology, which as Todd tweeted right as I was getting to watch and thus couldn't avoid thinking about, was basically an exciting future version of Wikipedia. I'm sure this magical room of knowledge will become important in the show's overarching plot and this was just a convenient way to bring it up, but it also served as a way for Zoey to become slightly more of a character and less of a symbol of hope. Giving her a fear of spiders isn't exactly in-depth characterization, and I doubt the "Go Away Spider" song will outsell Glee this week, but at least it was an attempt.

The most fun, however, came from the Taylor-Sixer plot, thanks mostly to it finally, finally, finally making dinosaurs a specific relevant part of the story instead of merely a random monster. The Sixers have a giant dinosaur they use as a diversion, guiding it towards the colony with torches and screaming. I'm not sure if this is what I want Terra Nova to be, but it's definitely a much better than the show's been. And I remain impressed with the action sequences; the fight choreographers and stunt doubles on this show might be the people doing the most/only consistently great work on the show.

There are still massive problems here. The conspiracy feels tacked-on, as do many of the familial interactions. The writing generally lacks imagination or spark. But this was the first episode since the pilot that made me believe that Terra Nova was on the right track toward realizing its potential instead of doing plots done better elsewhere.