Terra Nova

The Runaway

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 17, 2011 on FOX

7.8
  • Started Good then a little down and now its getting better

Terra nova, a place wheremystery is everywhere. A young lady ran away from homeseekinga place to live and end of another great episode of Terra nova.

Maybe the act is not so good or the story weak. But I do lovedinosaur. Itskinda give me the lost world feelings. So far this is going great(for me). I Want to know more aboutthosesixers. A mystery need to be unfold. Are they bad as we are thinking or we all are wrong from thebegging!

• Episode 5..............

For me this episode was the best of the series till now and it was the most entertaining one of all i hope this series improves cuz i like watching dinos on tv and the graphics are good maybe most of you will disagree with me but this is what i felt when i watched this episode and now we have to wait 2 weeks till the next episode and these sixers are kind of like the others from lost dont you guys think anyways good episode hope the series improves but if it doesnt it will get canceled.

• Improvement

well i found this episode to be a considerable improvment over the past coulple of episodes although that isnt really saying much, one thing that was good about this episode however is that it moved the story along we found out a little more about the sixers and there fued with terra nova and we also discover that taylor may not be all he seems, so thoses aspects were rather intresting, however on the other hand we still have to dea with the incredible boring teen romances that just feel out of place an dull characters like elizabeth and jim, terra nova should steer clear of the whole happy families thingy as it justs comes of cheesy........................... oh and there was only one donosaur apperance............. whats up with that ?

• The Runaway

By the power vested in me, i now pronounce "Terra Nova" the "FlashForward" of 2011/2012 season.

In recent seasons there seems to be a standard science fiction series to want to emulate the recent success of other series of its kind and that despite a good premise, good production values, cast and competent enough to generate buzz for this internet was creating expectations for what might be like television product easily falls out of favor as soon as the episodes are revealed week after week. Within this profile found "FlashForward" in 2009/2010 season, after "The Event" in 2010/2011 season and this season, "Terra Nova".

"Newfoundland" as the other two series referred to above, is becoming a burden (Victor, will you prepare). Production values remain good and the cast continues with a very competent performance, but the use of its good premise has been limited and the initial expectations mutated into sighs of disappointment. The story is at this time, fragile and anything that wants to enhance the series seems to have enough strength to take it to another level.

In this episode, we have the opportunity to know more about the mysterious Others Sixers, whose line of argument is revealed as one that will have greater emphasis throughout this season. They are provided to us some more details about this mysterious faction that has decided to leave Newfoundland as:

The fact that there are important people in the future that are not very interested in having the Commander Taylor (Stephen Lang) in front of Newfoundland;

The fact that Newfoundland is not just what appears to be (not even the Commander Taylor);

Whoever comes to the past can no longer return to the future (honestly can not remember if this had been mentioned or not);

What the Sixers live among the treetops (which you would expect, unless they wanted to serve as a meal at any dinosaur);

That there is a mysterious box that can hold the key to some secrets.

I must say that my interest in the Sixers and its history is limited, but the strong presence that their leader has scenes that let me enter more pro-Sixers than anything else. It is unfortunate that the characters in this series are basically pieces of cardboard or we would have Mira (Christine Adams), if the same gain some more attention in history, a good successor to a ... I dunno ... Benjamin Linus (difficult, I know ... .)

For the rest ... I do not know if it is worth mentioning. As is the case in "No Ordinary Family", the fact of wanting to please Greeks and Trojans and have been thought of as a series for the whole family that lead to "Terra Nova" let easily fall into platitudes, especially in regards lines of argument by the main characters kids. And this episode was no exception.
  • Too many whiny teens, too few whiny-teen-eating dinosaurs.

Personally, I was hoping this would be more Jurassic Park and less 7th Heaven. I guess they're trying to make a show the whole family can enjoy, but that's a tough fit. If you're going to have dinosaurs, then people are going to get eaten, and that's not good fare for kids. So you have to water it down and take away from how thrilling a drama set in prehistoric times can be, or keep making it gory and take away from its family-viewing appeal. Either way, you're going to turn off one of the two audiences you're going for, the Jurassic Park audience or the 7th Heaven audience.

This episode is a good example of why the show often doesn't appeal to someone like me, who wants the Jurassic Park aspect. It's all about a runaway little girl who gets taken in by the Shannons, and her relationship with their family, and her love for her brother, with a side serving of Maddy's teen romance. I don't even remember seeing any dinosaurs. It's basically a family drama that happens to be set in prehistoric times. The dinosaurs are set dressing.

• The Runaway

The Runaway was a good episode and I enjoyed watching it however I feel the series isn't living up to it's potential. The actors are trying to hard with the mediocre material given to them by the writers who need replaced or upgraded. This episode did have some great action sequences and some of the characters, especially Jim and Mira, are awesome. I think if they pick up the pace with more revelations the sooner we can start really getting into the show. I look forward to watching the next episode to see how things progress!!!

• A little girl is found by the Colonists of Terra Nova and she turns out to be more than they bargained for. Meanwhile, the Sixers try to recover a mysterious package. Terra-ble Nova.. aimed at children to sell toy Dinosaurs and lunchboxes?

Skipping quickly past the obvious Aliens rip-off we can cut to the main story about those pesky Sixers trying to recover an important and mysterious package that they accidentally forgot when they haphazardly deserted the colony and systematically stole all those vehicles, guns & supplies right under the nose of Terra Nova security.

Digressing, I still can't get over the fact that Taylor has a mad genius brother who puts mathematical calculations at the waterfalls where very dangerous dino's hang out for lunch. Right, because, that's where Taylor would naturally look for them and despair. ???! "Khan!" "Khaaaan!"

Back to the Runaway and from our stereo-typically talkative bad-gal, Mirra, we discover that important and powerful people in the 'future world' are very cross with Taylor (the bad man) and want him thrown off a cliff.

There was lots of other insinuations thrown in with finally Mirra's daughter as the underwriters insurance. Oh, and it's back to happy families by the time the credits roll.

All new shows stumble and struggle to find their niche, their footing - for me, i feel avoiding the dreary bootlegging / treachery arc and a greater focus on the exploration of their new world and the building of a new society and we just might have a show here.

But i have a sneaking suspicion that this show is more than meets the eyes... (i.e. it's a marketing thing if you didn't get the Transformers reference)

• Some might say this episode wasn't that good, however, i differ.

Some might say this episode wasn't that good, that it might be cheesy cheesy, however, i differ.

Although it was just another normal episode, it revealed to us a story line that we might enjoy. Mira convincing Jim that he is going to be on the wrong side of history if he stays with Taylor because he's a bad guy that pissed off some really dangerous people from the future.
    She then went on to mentioned that her daughter was taken from her by those people and was promised to be reunited if she takes Taylor down.

• What's in the Box?

Another disappointing episode. The overall story arc is advanced marginally, but I found myself struggling to control my impulse to switch the channel. Ok, so we have another mystery to add to the mix (What's in the box?), and evidently the Sixers are able to communicate with 2149 in some as yet unexplained way. I'm still waiting for 2149-style weaponry and a coherent plot. I feel like Ripley in Aliens, inquiring, "Have IQ's suddenly dropped while I've been gone?" Evidently, they have. I'm still hanging on by my fingernails, but this series is on the verge of being erased from my DVR record list.

• Hi-- James Cameron called! He wants his script for Aliensback!

"The Runaway" probably is one of the stronger episodes of Terra Nova, about a little girl who escapes from the Sixers and is discovered by the colony. However, as she's cared for, "things aren't what they seem" and no one is really sure if she's a legitimate escapee or an agent of the Sixers.

Unfortunately, the episode made the same mistake as "Instinct"in that it lifted scenes and characters from another movie. Instinct ripped off The Birds; The Runaway ripped off Aliens. In fact, the scene where the orphan girlwreaks havoc in the infirmary and hides under a table is straight out of Aliens when Newt is discovered hiding in a vent and is coaxed out by Ripley. The little girl is even made to look exactly like Newt from the film, scraggly hair and all. Sigh...

When the episode is over, we learn a little bit of the "mystery" surrounding Terra Nova-- that Taylor is suspicious and maybe the Sixers are "okay." But this doesn't reveal anything that we didn't suspect already and what little advancement there was to the overall "great mystery" underpinning the series was so infinitesimal as to not sustain interest in the next few episodes.

Dialogue once again was abysmal. The orphan girl's chatter couldn't have been more simplistic, most of it a variation of "I like ____" or "I don't like _____." Reynolds actually says, "I'm courting your daughter." Courting? What is this? The Antebellum South? I could've sworn that I heard Elisabeth in a previous episode refer to him as a "Gentleman Caller." Well, ah do declare; I do believe that Margaret Mitchell is a-writing these scripts! Either that, or people from 2149 speak like characters from a Tennessee Williams play. Yeah, okay!

In any event, The Runaway as I said was a bit better than previous episodes, but honestly, James Cameron should be credited, since he was the one that created the character that the orphan girl is based on.

• Brainless characters, pathetic soapy drama, no Skye, mediocre Sixers material, enigmatic project Terra Nova but cockroach fast development (Spoilers)

And I naively thought Terra Nova could make a good B movie-like series. Damn I was wrong ! I enjoyed What Remains because it was filled with scenes you can only laugh at. Moreover for once the drama was convincing and the action was back in decent shape. Before watching The Runaway I was even planning to draw new comic strips but it was so painful that I just think the show doesn't deserve our attention. The Sixers arc has potential and the story of a runaway little girl sounded promising but all the elements that flawed Genesis and Instinct were back to spoil the fun.

Pointing out the show flaws is as easy as for a raptor to hunt down a drunken dodo. Of course it's easy to criticize but airing such a thing on TV is just wrong. My dumb, pathetic and dead boring detectors exploded under the pressure. Let's start with one of its leads, Jim. The man couldn't be more predictable ! Believing the little girl's lies the first time wasn't enough, he also had to believe her brother was in danger. The worst part is that he actually left the base alone, on a noisy motorbike and once in the middle of the jungle at night I just rolled my eyes because I couldn't believe someone had written such a silly story. He had no idea where the Sixers were but he left anyway. The perfect prey, the worst character. And to top all this Mira said she understood why the Commander had hired him ! Of course, because he's the black hole in the defense.

While watching the episode I never believed for a second that the little girl wasn't a spy. But once it was over I quickly realized how stupid the characters were to believe her. How could she have survived the jungle on her own ? Not even the Commander blinked when he's supposed to be the first colonist and know a few things about survival. That's why I suppose they decided to only feature a dinosaur because otherwise the audience would have instantly hammered their TV with a giant hairbrush ! It leads us to the little girl because she never looked like a wild child. I instantly saw she was just an other fairy princess behind her messy and ridiculous haircut. So what should have moved us turned into soapy drama again, making this Sixers-driven story a complete disaster. I also couldn't care less about Maddy and her soldier. Why don't they focus on Skye and Josh instead ? One teenager love story would be enough and at least it could be properly covered. Apparently it will develop next time but for the moment I can't imagine enduring an other installment.

Still among this disgusting pile of brainless family-friendly prehistoric poo I have to admit that the Sixers arc still has potential. It was already the case in Genesis and it's still one of the only reasons that could convince me to stick around. Of course it's reminiscent of Lost and its Others but these shows definitely don't play in the same league. As for the box what could have been an intriguing element became an other argument to doze off. Why didn't we see them trying to open it ? So in the end it was a non event. Otherwise Terra Nova itself, the project, remains a mystery for the moment because its goal isn't just to save humanity apparently. Is it some sort of failed experiment ? I also enjoyed the fact that the Commander wasn't kidding when he warned Mira and her men about coming back a third time and menacing them. But picturing a war between them already makes me laugh because Instinct proved how weak the show is when it comes to action.

All in all giving birth to such a televisual abomination would make me really ashamed. With Falling Skies it's an other demonstration that having Steven Spielberg as an executive producer doesn't prove anything. In fact next time I spot his name I'll definitely think twice about it before wasting my time.

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.