Terra Nova

The Runaway

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 17, 2011 on FOX

7.8
  • Too many whiny teens, too few whiny-teen-eating dinosaurs.

Personally, I was hoping this would be more Jurassic Park and less 7th Heaven. I guess they're trying to make a show the whole family can enjoy, but that's a tough fit. If you're going to have dinosaurs, then people are going to get eaten, and that's not good fare for kids. So you have to water it down and take away from how thrilling a drama set in prehistoric times can be, or keep making it gory and take away from its family-viewing appeal. Either way, you're going to turn off one of the two audiences you're going for, the Jurassic Park audience or the 7th Heaven audience.

This episode is a good example of why the show often doesn't appeal to someone like me, who wants the Jurassic Park aspect. It's all about a runaway little girl who gets taken in by the Shannons, and her relationship with their family, and her love for her brother, with a side serving of Maddy's teen romance. I don't even remember seeing any dinosaurs. It's basically a family drama that happens to be set in prehistoric times. The dinosaurs are set dressing.