Terra Nova

Vs.

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 2011 on FOX

• Season 1, Episode 9

Over the coming weeks and the course of the series, though doomed to see a Franciscan poverty almost always had hope that one day "Terra Nova" show that really was worth the sacrifice that was almost see the waste of a good premise episode after episode. And behold, arrived in the ninth episode of the season, the series finally reveals some of the potential that has fallen asleep.

"Vs" was a fabulous episode? No, far from it. But it was an improvement over the other? Without a doubt. You can not enter into the history of television, but may well go down in history of the series, possibly either by marking a turn (which I doubt, but there is no harm in having hope) or at the very least, because it is the first sample that this series can be more than what is shown during the initial episodes that mark this first (and possibly last) season.

As the episode title indicates, "Vs" confronts the two most dominant forces in the series: the protagonist of the story, Jim Shannon (Jason O'Mara), versus the character who has more power in history, Commander Taylor (Stephen Lang). The strengthening of the relationship between them during the first eight episodes of the series was one of the highlights in the characterization of both characters and this is truly put to the test the first time.

Taylor has always been a somewhat ambiguous character of this series. Although until now has proved largely as a "hero," one of the "good guys" always had a percentage of mystery to surround it left a feeling that there could be a villain out there (or at least a anti-hero) concealed. And this episode proves that there really was any truth in this sentiment.

With facet of Police Jim to come to the fore again, and after Boylan (Damien Garvey) to reveal inadvertently that Taylor is hiding something from his past and the answer is buried next to the "Pilgrim's Tree", one of iconic places of Newfoundland, there is the starting point for some important revelations to the core of the story that the series has been proposed in this first season, and ranging from how Taylor became and remains an undisputed leader until such time as they took the break point in his relationship with his son (who now reveals himself as his great opponent).

But should we believe everything that Taylor told us? I do not know. What was clear to me is that there was there was an attempt (successful) to convince Jim to join / remain in the fight for the cause of Taylor. Initially, I thought Taylor's plan, after being threatened by the investigation of Jim, had the intention of trying to silence, but since he decided to release without major commitments in the end, it all seemed an effective form of political propaganda, an effective way to keep Jim at his side. At least for now.

But was it really what happened or am I reading between the lines more than what's there? I do not know. But what I know is that even when the story finally manages to arouse some interest in it means you are doing exactly that which is its function. And this episode, amaze the most skeptical of skeptics, could do this. Finally I can say that 40 minutes of "Terra Nova" was not a total waste of time spent watching television.

That said, it should be noted that, as this episode demonstrates, the series does not need to prove appealing dinosaurs, just able to create scenarios and work minimally interesting characters by giving them more depth. That's it.