Terra Nova

What Remains

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 10, 2011 on FOX

• Running out of steam already?

Well, I'm still watching, but, honestly, the writers are going to have to seriously up their game if I'm not to give up on this one soon.

We're only two episodes in and it already seems that they've exhausted the potential, have no fresh, interesting ideas, and are rehashing old, cliched plots that were done to death decades ago.

Last week, we had the poor rerun of Hitchcock's The Birds and now the sad and tired device of a lone outpost suddenly going dark, a small band of rescuers sent to find out what's wrong, a mysteriously deserted outpost, a virus on the loose...ho hum, yawn.

If they can't be more original at this stage, things aren't looking hopeful.

Added to these reservations, this episode relied heavily on most of the characters acting thick as two planks. Elisabeth should have known medical protocols for such situations mean you don't go rushing to open the room that most of the people have been locked into. And it took her a ridiculously long time to figure out that the cold was the cure - even with her impairment.

Of course, I'd figured it out the moment Zoe turned up at the hospital. Which was, of course, the main problem with this one. Being that it was such a hackneyed plot, done to death so many times before, there were no surprises. Every single plot move was telegraphed well in advance and easy to spot coming up.

I hope things get more interesting soon.