Thank God You're Here Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

I saw a taping

Gary_B

[1]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 1

I saw a taping of the show on 2/19/07.  The guest celebrities were Shannon Elizabeth, Tom Green, Chelsea Handler and George Takei. 

Chelsea Handler came out in a wedding dress and walked into a wedding reception scene.  She got up and gave a speech about being pregnant and suggested that the best man might be the father.  She was pretty funny.

George Takei came out dressed like a surgeon.  When David Alan Grier introduced him, he called him a "vet".  George took this to mean that he was supposed to be a Veterinarian and started acting his scene that way.   David simply meant that he was a veteran actor.  George also jumped the gun and he said "Thank God I'm Here" when he walked in the room.  The rest of the time he was more confused than funny, which I guess is funny in itself.

Shannon Elizabeth originally did a Star Trek skit where she was supposed to be the captain.  She was wearing a blonde wig, black miniskirt and go-go boots.  She wasn't happy with her performance I guess, so she asked if she could do another one instead.  She put on a dress and walked into a corporate meeting where she was asked to give an advertising pitch for a new type of vodka marketed to children.  She did better on that one.  The Star Trek skit will probably never air, or they may reuse the set for a different episode with a different celebrity.

Tom Green played a handyman/plumber with a mullet wig and a big toolbelt.  He walked into an attractive lady's apartment and proceeded to destroy half the set while fixing this lady's plumbing.  Dave Foley hit the buzzer too early and interrupted it (I guess he thought Tom was getting out of control).  The director decided to edit that out and continue shooting more of it. 

The final scene had all four celebrities dressed in Viking outfits.  This scene was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.  The audience was in hysterics.  I can't even begin to describe it.  You'll just have to watch. 

I wonder what time slot this show is going to be in?  There was a lot of adult humor in the show and unless it's on at 10pm, they might have to cut a lot of it.

Edited on 02/21/2007 10:47am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tv247

[2]Mar 18, 2007
    • level: 20

Sounds cool, I can't wait to see it. Isn't Fran Drescher on this show?

SoylentYellow

[3]Mar 25, 2007
    • level: 21
    Gary_B wrote:

I saw a taping of the show on 2/19/07. The guest celebrities were Shannon Elizabeth, Tom Green, Chelsea Handler and George Takei.

Chelsea Handler came out in a wedding dress and walked into a wedding reception scene. She got up and gave a speech about being pregnant and suggested that the best man might be the father. She was pretty funny.

George Takei came out dressed like a surgeon. When David Alan Grier introduced him, he called him a "vet". George took this to mean that he was supposed to be a Veterinarian and started acting his scene that way. David simply meant that he was a veteran actor. George also jumped the gun and he said "Thank God I'm Here" when he walked in the room. The rest of the time he was more confused than funny, which I guess is funny in itself.

Shannon Elizabeth originally did a Star Trek skit where she was supposed to be the captain. She was wearing a blonde wig, black miniskirt and go-go boots. She wasn't happy with her performance I guess, so she asked if she could do another one instead. She put on a dress and walked into a corporate meeting where she was asked to give an advertising pitch for a new type of vodka marketed to children. She did better on that one. The Star Trek skit will probably never air, or they may reuse the set for a different episode with a different celebrity.

Tom Green played a handyman/plumber with a mullet wig and a big toolbelt. He walked into an attractive lady's apartment and proceeded to destroy half the set while fixing this lady's plumbing. Dave Foley hit the buzzer too early and interrupted it (I guess he thought Tom was getting out of control). The director decided to edit that out and continue shooting more of it.

The final scene had all four celebrities dressed in Viking outfits. This scene was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. The audience was in hysterics. I can't even begin to describe it. You'll just have to watch.

I wonder what time slot this show is going to be in? There was a lot of adult humor in the show and unless it's on at 10pm, they might have to cut a lot of it.

I read it too fast and thought you said "George Takei was wearing a wedding dress"    now that would have been funny.

Either this show will be a suprise hit or a total bomb.  I dont think there will be much middle ground.  Saw a commercial for it on NBC just now.

tjaman

[4]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 32
    It's sort of a different approach to "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" which improv show ran forever on ABC, so it may do just fine -- especially with some of the folks I've seen on the promos. * shrug *

marvelfan89

[5]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 39
    Sounds like a really stupid show but the Tom Green part sounds worth watching.

pjhasham

[7]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 17

I've seen some clips on youtube, and I think the Americans have missed the point of the show entirely. The professional improvisers clearly have no idea what they're supposed to be doing: the supporting players are supposed to let the guests be right on as many details as they can, not correct everything they say to confuse them. I wasn't impressed with MoNique's sketch, however it was not her fault. I had had high hopes for this show until now, especailly after Arj Barker's performance on Aussie Thank God You're Here last year.

However, Tom Arnold's restaurant sketch was good, and even better than the one which Ahn Do did on Australian TGYH.  

brosa0

[8]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    Gary_B wrote:
    >I wonder what time slot this show is going to be in? There was a lot of adult humor in the show and unless it's on at 10pm, they might have to cut a lot of it.

There were a lot of dirty jokes and sexual references in the aussie version which was shown at 7.30pm each week. Obviously America is different but I think one of the reasons the show has done so well here is that the network doesn't treat the audience like idiots and doesn't try to shield them from those more adult jokes.

dorkeyONE91

[9]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 6
    tv247 wrote:

Sounds cool, I can't wait to see it. Isn't Fran Drescher on this show?

yeah thats what I read that she was gonna be..I cant wait, she's so amazing