Thank God You're Here Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Thank God You're Here Opinions

julsief1991

[1]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 4

I enjoyed it a lot or i am enjoying it as we speak hahahhahah its really funny i thought that they did a really good job it kind of reminds me of whos line but funnier kinda

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

antdude

[2]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 27
    julsief1991 wrote:

I enjoyed it a lot or i am enjoying it as we speak hahahhahah its really funny i thought that they did a really good job it kind of reminds me of whos line but funnier kinda

I only liked the superhero in the first episode. I watched it online.

tvaddict_10

[3]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 59

I love this show, man it's funnier than anything else on tv. Hopefully it gets good ratings and NBC keeps it around. This is NBC's second best new show, right after Heroes. This show is genius.

EJamison

[4]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 17

I have never liked improv and this show didn't change my mind, but I wanted to see Jason Alexander.  I was disappointed that he wasn't on.  I won't watch future episodes but I will keep an eye out for the sketch that was on the promos.

I suppose, even if I did like improv, I would probably like them to get rid of the Dave Foley position.  Nothing against Dave... I just don't see how it adds to the show.

antdude

[5]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 27
    EJamison wrote:

I have never liked improv and this show didn't change my mind, but I wanted to see Jason Alexander. I was disappointed that he wasn't on. I won't watch future episodes but I will keep an eye out for the sketch that was on the promos.

I suppose, even if I did like improv, I would probably like them to get rid of the Dave Foley position. Nothing against Dave... I just don't see how it adds to the show.

Yeah, dang NBC tricked us with Jason Alexander preview. I love Star Trek and him, but no show tonight. It's next week. I am not going to watch this show anymore on TV. Second hour sucked. I will just watch the skits/parts on TV of my actors I like/know on NBC's Web site so I can skip the boring skits and actors.

quiksilver_16

[6]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 12
    I thought the show was good. Some were much better than others. Some of the sketches in both two episodes were hilarious and the other ones just didn't seem to know what to do and ended up boring. I'll watch again, Black Donnellys is gone anyways.

SoylentYellow

[7]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 21

Judging by early reviews, either you absolutely love this show or hate it.  There isnt much middle ground.

Though it is a good way to eliminate some of these actors from future failed sitcoms.  A good example  is Richard Kind - he was very good on Spin City as a supporting character but clearly isnt cut out for a lead role.  A guy like him is best in small doses. This show was not KIND to Kind. 

brosa0

[8]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    I found with the Aussie version (yes I'm in Aus) that the first couple of episodes they took a little while to get the hang of it, but this was definitely one of my two favourite shows last year.

Some of the stars naturally 'got' the show and were able to make it hilarious from their first skit, and we were lucky that these occurred in some of the earlier episodes. Whereas some of the actors weren't quite so good and only did one or two episodes. Once they sort out the stars that really make it funny it should be a hoot. Those that are on more regularly will be able to build a bit of a rapport with the supporting cast regardless of what scenario they're in, which should make things bounce easier once they know how each other work. Also keep in mind that a lot of the scenarios in the first couple of episodes are direct copies of Aussie ones... so hopefully if the show gets on a roll NBC will come up with original scenarios that can't be compared with any aussie counterparts!

kay-est

[9]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 1
    I didn't hate or love the show. It did seem a lot like Who's Line Is It Anyway, but it wasn't funnier, not yet at least. The guest stars seemed to be trying too hard to be funny instead of letting it flow, causing lots of pauses. Once they get used to the setup it will probably be much funnier.

FalconPain

[10]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 13
    The Monique skit was the part where I decided to turn it off.

One thing I liked during the first episode was how they gave each actor a decent chance to ad lib in a humorous manner, and then went along with it as they continued the scene.
    The game show sketch ruined it for me, though, with the high number of "no, that's not right" lines. This show should be about improv, not trying to make the celebrity as uncomfortable as possible.

kurby123

[11]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 19
    FalconPain wrote:
    The Monique skit was the part where I decided to turn it off.

One thing I liked during the first episode was how they gave each actor a decent chance to ad lib in a humorous manner, and then went along with it as they continued the scene.
    The game show sketch ruined it for me, though, with the high number of "no, that's not right" lines. This show should be about improv, not trying to make the celebrity as uncomfortable as possible.

Yeah, I stopped watching at the gameshow skit as well. I turned it back to see who the winner was... and it was Monique. So I guess I didn't miss much.

hawker_au

[12]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    Improv is by far the best theatre / television out there. Long been a fan of 'Theatre Sports' - it shows you how talented an actor truly is, it's all well and good to learn a script, go in, do it, move on to the next scene...

I admit that some people just can't get the hang of it, the first series in Australia showed a few, but some of them are just brilliant: Shaun Micaliff, Matty Newton, Josh Lawson etc etc...

chaz_almasy

[13]Apr 11, 2007
    • level: 7
    this is one of those shows i htink that has A LOT of potential to become amazing so long as nbc gives it a long enough run to build a viewer base... its extremely funny but as with the nature of the show its gonna have a lot of growing pains while it gets started... once it gets past that ugly pimply stage it will mature into a sexy tween with a lot to offer... oh yeah and that guy that said they should get rid of dave foley... screw u man... dave does add a nice deadpan aspect to the show and besides... he's dave foley... aka the S**T... anything hes on he escalates... if u dont beleive me check out the wrong guy or ANY kid's in the hall ep... hes an amazing comedian and deserves as much airtime as he can snag...

pjhasham

[14]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 17
    I saw the Monique skit and it destroyed my hopes that US TGYH would be as good as the Aus one. I saw Arj Barker on Aus TGYH and he was the best in the episode. But the American support cast don't know what their job. Contradicting everything a contestant says does not count as forcing them to think on their feet.

kurby123

[15]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 19
    pjhasham wrote:
    I saw the Monique skit and it destroyed my hopes that US TGYH would be as good as the Aus one. I saw Arj Barker on Aus TGYH and he was the best in the episode. But the American support cast don't know what their job. Contradicting everything a contestant says does not count as forcing them to think on their feet.

Actually they only contradicted everything that Monique said because they were afraid that Monique wasn't being funny enough. The whole skit wasn't funny anyways, so whatever.
    One guy I recognize from the cast is Chris Tallman. He did work on the first season of The Jamie Kennedy Experiment.

nathiel

[16]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 7
    The first episode I found quite funny, the second less so. I was sucked in by the commercials, but on the whole I'm not that impressed. I'll give it a few more episodes, but it's looking bad.

geoking66

[17]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 6
    The most recent episode (aired on 18 April) was hilarious. I think that Shannon should have won because her vodka rant rocked (escpecially the Britney jokes). The whole orgy at the end was hysterically funny, especially with George getting in on the frenching.

alexlips

[18]Apr 20, 2007
    • level: 51
    No offense but Australian humour is so much better and down to Earth than US humour.

spacedkane

[19]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 41
    I enjoy watching it and having no script gives these wonderful actors to really stretch their own imaginations. So many times I wonder if I enjoy the character because of the lines written or the actor and with this show it is all on the actor's head.

Phoenix911983

[20]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 9

I just saw the show tonight and I really liked it I thought it was a unique concept for the show except for 2 things

1. I don't like David Alan Grier

2. And frankly though I like Dave Foley as a comedian, I don't know why he's there