That '70s Show

Burning Down the House

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 07, 2000 on FOX

• Jackie attempts to throw a small, classy dinner party but Kelso, her beloved boyfriend, ruins it. Red runs in on Bob removing his toupee.

Jackie dreams of throwing small, classy dinner parties later in her life with Michael Kelso as her handsome, but also smart and classy husband. Donna laughs at these fantasies, saying that Jackie expects too much out of Kelso. She wants him to do things that he probably doesn't even know how to do. I agree with this point made by Donna, but also say that she herself expects too much out of Eric, although he has his share of mess-up's too, just like Kelso does. Anyways, Kelso invites Hyde and Fez, which is already horrible enough, because Jackie doesn't want them there. He also invites about thirty other people, innocently thinking that a bigger and more fun party will make Jackie happier. But it doesn't, and she storms off with Donna to her bedroom to rant about how immature Kelso is and everything she expects out of him. While she and Donna are having an important conversation, Kelso is actually, seriously, worried about his situation in his relationship with Jackie. He unknowingly throws a cigar in a trash bin and doesn't realize it's on fire until it's too late. The whole house doesn't burn down, like some people think, but it does a significant amount of damage to the living room. Actually, it just destroyed the bin. The messiness of the room is more of a result from all the chaos from the other people at the party, including that guy who we see every once in a while trying to get attention from people. This time, he took off his pants while proudly saying, "Hey guys, I'm gonna take my pants off!" Kelso tries to put the fire out with some alcohol, lots of different kinds of it. When he finally realizes that alcohol is flammable, he tries putting the fire out with a pillow, as you see feathers flying out from the cushion, making things even a bigger mess. That is when Jackie and Donna re-enter the room. Jackie gives a big scolding to Kelso, then leaves after saying the words, "I have a lot of things to think about." You know what I realized? Jackie is already a grade behind the rest of the gang in Eric, Donna, Hyde, Kelso, and Fez. But also in the Halloween episode, Kelso admits that he had to repeat a grade, so he's all sad about a girl two years younger than him that he lost. I think he can do better, older, taller, and hotter. Meanwhile, Red and Kitty have to play an uncomfortable game of Scrabble the same day that Red walked in on Bob removing his toupee in his kitchen sink. There's awkward silence the whole game until Bob finally admits it to the whole gang. He says he's ashamed of himself, and decides that he's done living a lie. He takes the toupee off, but less than a minute later, Red, Kitty, and I burst out laughing and Red determines that yes, Bob really needs the toupee! Great episode, but I'm not really a fan of Kelso chasing after Jackie. I like her better with Hyde.
TVLAND