TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

That '70s Show Forums

FOX (ended 2006)

Do we REALLY like Jackie with Hyde?

GenericWit

[1]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 3

Or is it because we all love Hyde?

Anyway, I've thought about this a lot because, honestly, I don't like Jackie. However, the second I watch the episodes again and notice her with Steven, I fangirl squee and am super happy and suddenly like her.

I brought this up with one of my friends while watching, and I asked her why the That 70s Show community, as a majority, seemed to like Hyde with Jackie, and the best answer I got was the "opposite attracts" sort of thing... which I'd like to point out, is actually false according to my psych textbooks... but that's not the point.

Before I blabber on anymore, I want people here to think about it carefully and answer:

Do you really wish that Jackie had ended up with Hyde?

Do you really ship Jackie/Hyde?

Or do you just want Hyde to be happy?

Do you just want Hyde to not end up alone?

Is it because you think Fez can handle being alone better than Hyde can?

My answer is: I hate when Hyde's alone because I automatically relate it with being unhappy. Going back and rewatching the first few seasons, I noticed how many Fez/Jackie moments were dropped in, and now I don't hate the ending so much... but then when I revert.

So... yeah. Even if I'm wrong here, I'm just speculating anyway for kicks. I think it's an interesting thought.

Edit: And to add, before anyone else adds it in, I know there are similarities between Jackie and Hyde: their insecure yet cocky and some other things, but fundamentally... Jackie, imo, is just another fleck in the consumer cesspool, something which Hyde fundamentally shouldn't/doesn't like. Oh gee, by saying that, I'm opening it up to a lot of rabid Jackie/Hyde fans to come in here and kill me, but hey, like I said, when I get to the later seasons, I'm right there with you wanting to see them together (because it makes Hyde happy?).

Edited on 07/22/2008 2:01am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vanlord_52

[2]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 5
    I always liked Jacke and Kelso together better.

LuckyTaly

[3]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 5
    vanlord_52 wrote:

...I think I did too.
    They were dysfunctionally cute, and they had their moments.
    Thinking about it, NO, I never really fell in love with the Jackie/Hyde relationship. She wanted to change him- that's not cool. :/

GenericWit

[4]Jul 23, 2008
    Yeah, I hate to dash people's dreams here, but I started watching from the start, and after I realized I didn't like Jackie/Hyde together, the season 2 part where he goes to jail for her and the after episodes already make me cranky and icky inside.

I hope I didn't ruin the later seasons for me. :/

soapieaddict23

[5]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 18

to be honest, yes I loved them together. I love the seasons when they're together more than others.

The reasons for this were because it let us see a softer side to Hyde. He was way more sweet when he was with Jackie. I mean, he was still awesome and all, but he was also cute and vulnerable. Kelso and Jackie were useless together, they just continually effed up their relationship. I haven't actually watched the last season because i havent got it yet, not sure if its out in australia, but i dont think ill like fez and jackie. and i love jackie, she'sfunny. spoiled andeverything, but you know shes just trying to act all tough because she's vulnerable.

GenericWit

[6]Jul 23, 2008
    Rewatching, I'm noticing a lot of things leading up to the big Fez/Jackie moment, and I kinda dig it. I think the "vulnerable" side of Hyde we saw shouldn't be a reason the viewer should like the couple. There's a girl out there for him who actually... *shares* the same views and possibly beliefs... who doesn't stand for so many of the things he hates and thinks are wrong with society.

Just because we don't see her on screen doesn't mean she won't be there after the show. I know that's speculation, but I think the glimpse of a softer Hyde made us want him to be together with someone, and obviously, we watched six people on screen, down in the basement, for so many years. Yeah, we'd be partial to have them end up with each other because we know them.

For example, it didn't matter if the most intelligent, most goodlooking, most respectful and mannered guy came into the last season to be Donna's love interest: we still would've been waiting for Eric to come back, imo.

jimbo_001

[7]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 56
    I hated Jackie with Hyde. It's one of the reasons I think season 5 was considerably worse than than the first 4 (season 6 is a lot funnier so that saves it for me). The show is always entertaining (though arguably season 8 begs to differ) but when the show became completely about couples, rather than the gang of friends hanging out in a basement, it just wasn't a funny as before.

Jackie and Kelso were a great couple, mainly because their interaction was hilarious, and Kelso never learning being a great running joke, but underneath it all, there was heart there which made the emotional moments between them work.

The whole Jackie having a crush on Hyde thing in the first few seasons while Hyde found her an annoying spoilt brat was hilarious and add Fez hitting on Jackie and her ignoring him, and meanwhile Kelso dating her was quite funny, with the love... square.

I would have been fine if the Hyde/Jackie thing was just a fling for the first few episodes, but once they became a couple, it just got boring, Hyde never being as funny as he used to be, and the plots between the two became dry and boring. When they broke up at the end of season 5, I was thinking 'finally' but then they're brought back for another two seasons. The couple got old fast and the show was never as entertaining as it was when Kelso and Jackie were dating and breaking up every few episodes and the show being about the gang's adventures and circles, rather than the couples' fights and dates.

Don't want to seem like I'm complaining, the show was funny the whole way through but I think Hyde's character got duller when he was with Jackie and the relationship lasted way too long, which is why I was relieved that Jackie ended up with Fez rather than going back to Hyde at the end.

Kingcool7789

[8]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 39
    vanlord_52 wrote:
    So did I.

GenericWit

[9]Jul 25, 2008
    Kingcool7789 wrote:
    vanlord_52 wrote:
    So did I.

Nice add...?

Anyway, I agree with most of what you said, vanlord. I think the only couple stuff that added to the humor of the show, which is what most of us watched for, was the Eric/Donna losing their virginity stuff and the Kelso/Jackie growth (or lack thereof).

I think Hyde became duller because being Jackie made him that way. I don't think it was a balance as much as... her trying to kill him from the inside. *shudders*

I'm also upset that it lasted so long, but it wouldn't have felt right to me ending it because Hyde made a mistake. I think it should've ended on the terms it finally did end on... I just wish it had done so early season 6.

DuckythePoet89

[10]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 6
    I loved Jackie with Hyde. They were so cute together mostly cuase I think they were such opposites, but Jackie was the best thing for Hyde, besides Hyde was hotter than Kelso in my eyes. He had the whole tough guy thing goin on instead of the whole pretty boy thing.

Kingcool7789

[11]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 39
    GenericWit wrote:
    Kingcool7789 wrote:
    vanlord_52 wrote:
    So did I.

Nice add...?

Anyway, I agree with most of what you said, vanlord. I think the only couple stuff that added to the humor of the show, which is what most of us watched for, was the Eric/Donna losing their virginity stuff and the Kelso/Jackie growth (or lack thereof).

I think Hyde became duller because being Jackie made him that way. I don't think it was a balance as much as... her trying to kill him from the inside. *shudders*

I'm also upset that it lasted so long, but it wouldn't have felt right to me ending it because Hyde made a mistake. I think it should've ended on the terms it finally did end on... I just wish it had done so early season 6.
    Thank you...

GenericWit

[12]Jul 26, 2008
    DuckythePoet89 wrote:
    they were such opposites, but Jackie was the best thing for Hyde, besides Hyde was hotter than Kelso in my eyes.

Well, okay... It's not a hotness thing, imo. I think Jackie sucked the life out of Hyde. I guess that some viewers viewed the changes as a positive thing whereas I viewed them as he tightening the leash.

---

And yeah, kingcool, that was totally sarcastic cuz you didn't actually contribute anything to the discussion.

uglybetty511

[13]Jul 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    Well... my favorite character is Hyde but... I think someone more like Donna would have suited him better than the jackie-type

Canogaparkcindy

[14]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 49
    jimbo_001 wrote:
    I hated Jackie with Hyde. It's one of the reasons I think season 5 was considerably worse than than the first 4 (season 6 is a lot funnier so that saves it for me). The show is always entertaining (though arguably season 8 begs to differ) but when the show became completely about couples, rather than the gang of friends hanging out in a basement, it just wasn't a funny as before.

Jackie and Kelso were a great couple, mainly because their interaction was hilarious, and Kelso never learning being a great running joke, but underneath it all, there was heart there which made the emotional moments between them work.

The whole Jackie having a crush on Hyde thing in the first few seasons while Hyde found her an annoying spoilt brat was hilarious and add Fez hitting on Jackie and her ignoring him, and meanwhile Kelso dating her was quite funny, with the love... square.

I would have been fine if the Hyde/Jackie thing was just a fling for the first few episodes, but once they became a couple, it just got boring, Hyde never being as funny as he used to be, and the plots between the two became dry and boring. When they broke up at the end of season 5, I was thinking 'finally' but then they're brought back for another two seasons. The couple got old fast and the show was never as entertaining as it was when Kelso and Jackie were dating and breaking up every few episodes and the show being about the gang's adventures and circles, rather than the couples' fights and dates.

Don't want to seem like I'm complaining, the show was funny the whole way through but I think Hyde's character got duller when he was with Jackie and the relationship lasted way too long, which is why I was relieved that Jackie ended up with Fez rather than going back to Hyde at the end.
    I definitely agree. I think Kelso & Jackie were good together.

GenericWit

[15]Jul 30, 2008
    uglybetty511 wrote:
    Well... my favorite character is Hyde but... I think someone more like Donna would have suited him better than the jackie-type

LOL Yeah. It reminds me of that episode where Eric and Donna broke up, and Eric wishes they were never together. That always gets me giggling. I really refuse to believe it would have turned out that way. Even the writers make Hyde more of a punk than I think he is. Heh.

But yeah... I would've liked to have seen Hyde and Donna hook up once Eric left the show. Would've been interesting.

kevagroove

[16]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 2
    hmm... no i think that they should brake up cuz like jackie and hyde all they do together is makeing out and and i think that jackie and kelso look pretty good together

CharmedOneP391

[17]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 19

I liked jackie and hyde together...only becuz it made so much sense. the whole opposites attract thing really stood out. I thought hyde kept jackie from being too much of a bi+ch and she kept hyde from being the guy who feels nothing. idk..i liked seasons 5-7... a lot becuz of jackie & hyde.

but i dont care as long as im looking at mila kunis and her sexy self.

Edited on 08/01/2008 12:20pm

123KK

[18]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 10
    I love Jackie and Hyde toghter that is like my favorite couple ever IDK why I guess they made sense toghter and whenever I saw them toghter I could tell they really made eachother a better person

JannyNJiberty

[19]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 13
    I like kelso and jackie alot more then jackie and Hyde. I do understand why Jackie and Fez hooked up. They had alot of build up throughout the seasons so it wasn't random in my opinion.

Do you really wish that Jackie had ended up with Hyde? No

Do you really ship Jackie/Hyde? No

Or do you just want Hyde to be happy? Don't care

Do you just want Hyde to not end up alone? again, Don't care

Is it because you think Fez can handle being alone better than Hyde can? No

Aria427

[20]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 7
    I always liked Jackie & Hyde together, but deep down I always tought that it should be Jackie & Fez.