We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

That '70s Show Forums

FOX (ended 2006)

DVD complaint

BrianSolo

[1]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 8

Does it bother anyone else that FOX didn't shell out the necessary dough to keep all the great songs used in That 70s show? The only ones they keep are the ones with which that the characters sing along (Bad Bad Leroy Brown, The Grand Illusion, etc.). Obviously, it was to keep cost down, but how much more would you be willing to spend to have the episodes as aired, music in-tact? I'd probably pay $5-10 more per season...anyone else? And should they consider this for future, possible, re-releases?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sockstar

[2]Oct 19, 2010
    • level: 12
    This is a massive issue, across most TV shows from the mid 90's to early 2000's.

The problem in 99% of these cases is that the music rights were only ever purchased for the airings on the show, and that buying them again would cost way too much. Now the rights get bought for all potential and future formats so it's not a big deal.

It is a a financial issue and one that's bigger than just '$5-$10 more per season'. Another show with huge issues with this, Daria (the animated comedy), basically was financially non-viable whilst the issue of music rights remained.

BrianSolo

[3]Oct 21, 2010
    • level: 8

sockstar wrote:
    Another show with huge issues with this, Daria (the animated comedy), basically was financially non-viable whilst the issue of music rights remained.

Maybe, but the show with the BIGGEST issue is The Wonder Years. We have been starved of its greatness far too long.

Canogaparkcindy

[4]Oct 21, 2010
    • level: 49
    BrianSolo wrote:

sockstar wrote:
    Another show with huge issues with this, Daria (the animated comedy), basically was financially non-viable whilst the issue of music rights remained.

Maybe, but the show with the BIGGEST issue is The Wonder Years. We have been starved of its greatness far too long.

Oh I Know! In "Going to California" the original song was "Wouldn't it be Nice" by The Beach Boys (When Eric & Donna were running to each other on the beach) but now it's just some other random song. It sucks.

r10tp00f

[5]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 7

From the first night, that the first episode of That 70's Show aired, I never missed an episode of the show through to it's end, and if I did my VCR (whatever the hell a VCR is, don't even know what I came up with that term) was programmed to record it. Also I have all the season on DVD, 1-7, since the show ended at season 7 *cough*... ahem... Anyway point is, perhaps I'm just so use to the dvds, but I don't remember any songs from the original airings that aren't there on the dvds. If I still owned some sort of machine that played those "VHS" tapes, then I would pop one in and then compare it to the dvd, but unfortunately I don't own a "VCR", once again, whatever that is.

Can you give any specific examples of an episode in which there was a song in the original airing and on the dvd it is removed? I'd like to try and job my memory. Also, did the tapes stay the same (songs stay in) when episodes aired in syndication on TV?

Stig14

[6]Jan 25, 2011
    • level: 56
    r10tp00f wrote:

From the first night, that the first episode of That 70's Show aired, I never missed an episode of the show through to it's end, and if I did my VCR (whatever the hell a VCR is, don't even know what I came up with that term) was programmed to record it. Also I have all the season on DVD, 1-7, since the show ended at season 7 *cough*... ahem... Anyway point is, perhaps I'm just so use to the dvds, but I don't remember any songs from the original airings that aren't there on the dvds. If I still owned some sort of machine that played those "VHS" tapes, then I would pop one in and then compare it to the dvd, but unfortunately I don't own a "VCR", once again, whatever that is.

Can you give any specific examples of an episode in which there was a song in the original airing and on the dvd it is removed? I'd like to try and job my memory. Also, did the tapes stay the same (songs stay in) when episodes aired in syndication on TV?

Well, one example has been given already... "Going to California" where it's originally the Beach Boys song "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" and in syndication/dvd it's just generic music. Another example that I can come up with off-hand is the one where Donna comes over to sleep ("Sleepover" season 2, ep. 8 ) with Eric, and it's the scene where Eric is cleaning up his room in preparation for her visit. In the original, it was "Undercover Angel' by Alan O'Day; this was replaced in syndication/dvd with ...generic music.

This is the case for many of the episodes; it's a money issue. The rights to the songs were usually purchased for original airing and first-run reruns only. Once into syndication, the original music was removed, as the rights were no longer there to use it. The same goes for dvd release.
    Edited on 01/25/2011 10:52pm

mrjimmyjames

[7]Jun 2, 2011
    • level: 7

I believe SNL had the same problem. They had to give up on selling full seasons on DVD after the first five seasons because of the cost of acquiring the rights to music in those episodes.