FOX (ended 2006)

How Season 8 Could've Been Better *In Your Own Opinions*

SuperMeteor

[1]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 27

- Randy actually had funny lines

- Randy didn't date Donna

- Randy was portrayed by a different actor, a funny one

- Charlie had stayed (he was pretty funny)

- Jackie and Hyde reconciled and became an item once again

- The horrible stripper never showed up

- Eric and Donna never broke up off-screen

- Laurie returned and she starts settling down, beginning a relationship with Fez

- They found a better way for Eric to get a full scholarship, like community work or something so we could see him more often

- Brooke moves to Point Place and begins a mature relationship with Kelso

Can you guys name some way the Season 8 Massacre could've been the Season 8 Miracle?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kissofdeath43

[2]Aug 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    If Randy never existed period.

The Jackie/Fez relationship never happened.

Basically getting back to basics.

exterminator25

[3]Aug 17, 2009
    • level: 27
    i'm sorry, i watched a few episodes of season 8 and i don't understand why everyone hates the jackie/fez relationship? i understand why everyone hates randy, and why seaosn 8 was so bad (ashton k and topher g left becuase they were doing some movies, and they weren't even that good in them) but can someone please explain why jackie/fez relationship is hated so much?

Kauaimon

[4]Aug 18, 2009
    • level: 16
    I guess it was hated so much because all throughout the seasons it was always Fez loving Jackie, but her never returning it at all. And now suddenly Jackie decides she loves Fez, and Fez is the one who doesn't love her...I thought Jackie/Hyde where the best couple, and for Jackie/Fez to work out, it needed more backstory. It's sort of like they threw those two together.

soapieaddict23

[5]Aug 23, 2009
    • level: 18
    I haven't watched season eight yet, I've had it for a while but never got around to watching it because of all the negativity. But I am dreading the Jackie/Fez thing just because I love Jackie/Hyde so much. They should have just quickie reconciled in the finale, even that would have made it okay. I have never seen Randy, so I'm not sure if I'll hate him as much, but I agree they should have kept Charlie, just because Bret Harrison is awesome.

Canogaparkcindy

[6]Aug 30, 2009
    • level: 49

-Laurie & Charlie staying for season 8. And by Laurie, I mean Lisa Robin Kelly.

-Brooke & Kelso relationship.

-Randy out. Maybe could of been a one episode fling for Donna but thats it, cause basically, that was Donna's whole season plot. Eric in the beginning, then Randy the rest of the season.

-Jackie/Hyde

-Kitty never changed her hairstyle.

-Eric being in more guest episodes toward the end, like Kelso did 4 in the season.

Edited on 08/30/2009 2:47am

JCoeSr

[7]Sep 7, 2009
    • level: 1
    Eric never left. Stopped writing all those idiotics scripts. Allowing Eric and Donna to mature their relationship and Kelso reunited and making a couple with Boorke.

pudgebyrd722

[8]Sep 8, 2009
    • level: 51
    SuperMeteor wrote:

- Randy actually had funny lines

- Randy didn't date Donna

- Randy was portrayed by a different actor, a funny one

- Charlie had stayed (he was pretty funny)

- Jackie and Hyde reconciled and became an item once again

- The horrible stripper never showed up

- Eric and Donna never broke up off-screen

- Laurie returned and she starts settling down, beginning a relationship with Fez

- They found a better way for Eric to get a full scholarship, like community work or something so we could see him more often

- Brooke moves to Point Place and begins a mature relationship with Kelso

Can you guys name some way the Season 8 Massacre could've been the Season 8 Miracle?

Randy wouldn't of ever shown up if Eric wouldn't have left to play that role in Superman or Spiderman or whatever. And their excuse was Africa? Some shows have lame excuses for when their characters leave permanently or temporarily. And Kelso shouldn't of left. I usually get annoyed by the show's dumb characters, but the creators of That '70s Show actually made Kelso dumb in a way that was hilarious. I did like the fact that they brought Leo back in Season 7, though, and kept him there for the rest of the show.

jackfloyd1973

[9]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 4

* red becomes a stoner, even conservatives like ganja.

* donna goes back to being a redhead

* jackie and donna start shackin' up (comedic aspect is the main, but not sole reason)

* hyde, his dad, and leo start a local chapter of the libertarian party (the right to make money at low tax and smoke weed)

*jackie figures out that her fathers a crook, and they show her yelling at him in the prisons visitors section and says she hopes that he becomes someones b*tch

* see an entire jackie/donna chick fight, or several

* red takes bio-engineering in the hopes of figuring out how to grow more feet so he can put his feet in more asses at once

lintball13

[10]Oct 29, 2009
    • level: 10
    maybe they shouldnt even have made an 8th season. all the actors left the show and the ones that were still on at the end looked too old to have been teenagers.

meaghan113

[11]Nov 1, 2009
    • level: 2

Eric and Kelso never left. This would have made the whole season better.

Randy never existed.

Jackie and Hyde ended up together.

Canogaparkcindy

[12]Nov 11, 2009
    • level: 49
    lintball13 wrote:
    maybe they shouldnt even have made an 8th season. all the actors left the show and the ones that were still on at the end looked too old to have been teenagers.
    They weren't teens anymore, they graduated high school in S5.

dmarex

[13]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 103
    Pretty simple: Kelso and Eric never left. (I would have also been fine if they shot two-three more episodes of season 7 and completed the entire thing)

But, if season 8 has to exist and Eric and Kelso can't be there, then I guess it would go something like this:
    - Jackie and Fez would never date.
    - Hyde would get married to that stripper, but she'd try to steal from him or something in her second episode and Jackie would get rid of her or something.
    - Of course, Hyde and Jackie reunite.
    - Laurie would return (I'd love it if it had been the original actress, but the second version would work too)

But then again, season 8 just shouldn't exist period.

Alano2591

[14]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 10
    I'm agree with you If i made the show, Eric and Kelso never left and Randy never existed . Bob and Midge returned together but appeared only in two-three episodes whereas Leo never came back . He was funny but after he became annoying.

Doggo1988

[15]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 8
    Fez and Jackie > Hyde and Jackie. Hyde and Jackie were a stupid combination to start with. The only reason it worked is because of the fighting between Hyde and Kelso, other than that it was a stupid idea.

r10tp00f

[16]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 7

jackfloyd1973 wrote:

* red becomes a stoner, even conservatives like ganja.

* donna goes back to being a redhead

* jackie and donna start shackin' up (comedic aspect is the main, but not sole reason)

* hyde, his dad, and leo start a local chapter of the libertarian party (the right to make money at low tax and smoke weed)

*jackie figures out that her fathers a crook, and they show her yelling at him in the prisons visitors section and says she hopes that he becomes someones b*tch

* see an entire jackie/donna chick fight, or several

* red takes bio-engineering in the hopes of figuring out how to grow more feet so he can put his feet in more asses at once

I like these ideas!!!

Mostly though I just think that the 8th season should not been made. Just like the 9th season of X-Files, missing Mulder. 5th season of Sliders missing Quinn... probably more examples then that, but the point is it's just a bad idea to continue doing a show when the actor who plays your main character leaves. No Eric, no show. It was about him. His relationship, his friends, his family, his basement. The fact that Kelso left as well only deepened the blow, however if Eric had still been on the show, but Kelso wasn't, then the 8th still might have been good. Eric was the missing piece. the only way it would have been good is if Eric had stayed. Once Topher said he was leaving, they should have aborted, and then when Aston left, man they really should have got a clue.

r10tp00f

[17]Apr 12, 2010

Ok, a little fan-tasy... what if season 7 ended the same... season 8 begins, (a few days after season 7 ends) everyone thinks that Eric has left to go to Africa. Truth is, after saying goodbye to Donna at the airport, he chickens out last minute and doesn't get on the flight. Now he's anxiety ridden and doesn't know what to do. He tries to keep it secret that he's still in Point Place, till he feels brave enough to break to everyone. Someone, let's say Leo, finds out. After that brilliant, classic, situationally based comedy ensues, for however many episodes. After Leo, slowly all of Eric's friends and family finds out that he never left, and the secret becomes more awkward, until it blows up in Eric's face and Donna becomes the last to know, effectively driving her into the arms of Randy or something like that. Randy can guest star for a few episodes, just so Donna can rebound and cause some drama, but after that he's gone, and his lines have to be way funny for the guest spots. Rest of the season is Eric trying to win Donna back, been done before, but still would be better then the real season 8. Finally he wins her back in the last episode just in time for New Year's? Or at the very least, in the last eps we're still not sure of their relationship status, but there's hope, like in the real last episode.

As for the other characters? Sure Hyde marries a stripper, whatever keeps him away from Jackie. If you have to have Jackie and Fez get together, so be it, whatever, I didn't mind it that much. Red, Kitty, and Bob all plan to move to Florida... and do other things. Kelso might stay, or not, I don't care. Other things happen too... mostly, it would just be driven by Eric, as the show is meant to be.

This would have worked out best for fans of That 70's Show, and Spider-man. I love Toper Grace as Eric, but really as Eddie Brock? Oh I'm sorry, Eddie Brock Jr. ... right. Actually that's a whole other thing, Venom didn't need to be in that movie.

Sorry fellas, getting a little carried away.

Edited on 05/23/2010 10:51pm

mrjimmyjames

[18]Jun 27, 2010

my biggest problem of the season was the writing: it was just so awful and inconsistent. they were asleep at the wheel and didn't seem to put much effort into it.

Randy would have been a great character had he been given funnier lines. It wasn't Josh Meyers fault, he could pull off funny lines he just wasn't given any. He should have been written (and would have worked) as the sarcastic new best friend/co-worker of Hyde and Hyde (with Eric gone) should have been the center of the show. Randy should never have gotten together with Donna (because we were gonna hate whoever she dated after Eric regardless).

Donna should have dated someone outside of the group that they weren't trying to sell us on. How about a type that she hasn't ever dated before? that would be interesting. How about a mature guy with a successful job in his mid to late 20s? You could maybe even give him a kid.

The characters should have grown up a little more and maybe focused a little more on their jobs and their everday surroundings at them and taken place a little less in the basement. I'm not saying they should have abandoned the basement. Just put them there a little less. We did get that a little more with the record store and Fez/Jackie's apartment. But there should have been more; this was the producers chance to really shake the show up for the better and make it more interesting and they failed. They continued to write the show as if Eric and Kelso were still there and you could tell they were missing. That's why they needed to distract from the formula by changing up the show just a little bit and hey why not add a few more new characters? The best way to replace characters is to distract the audience's attention from them.

Other than just Randy they could have several other new characters that were funny in ways that were different than Eric and Kelso. that could have really made you forget about Eric and Kelso. My problem with Charlie is that he was too much of a clone of Eric that was going to get treated by Red and Kitty in the same way. Been there, done that and long worn out. How about another character? Fez's friend Andrew from back home was terrific and would have been a great recurring character but I'm not sure Justin Long would have been willing to appear in more episodes. But someone likeAndrew would have been great; maybe a younger Kelso brother that we haven't met yet that is funny but in different way than Kelso.

With Eric/Donna over Jackie/Hyde should have continued and become the big focus of the season. I actually liked the stripper storyline at first and thought they just dropped it too soon and didn't use her enough. She was funny in the same way that Laurie was funny and made for great tension. I wouldn't have gotten Jackie/Hyde back together; instead it would have been more like Eric/Donna in season 4. Jackie and Hyde would have constantly tried to make each other jealous throughout the season and dragged it out until near the end when they would get back together. Red and Kitty should have stayed disapproving of Hyde's relationship with the stripper and could have created tension between them (therefore replacing the difficult relationship they had with Eric). The show had dropped too many of its dramatic storylines and is one of the reasons season 8 was disappointing. It made it less interesting.

Fez should not have ended up with Jackie. Instead he should have become a major player with the ladies and found a way to suprisingly become the most popular person in Point Place. This would bring him full circle. He also should have been written better; the writers seemed to drop many of his funniest attributes during this season.

Fenton should have been a major recurring character. He was hilarious and when he was revealed as the landlord in Season 7 I thought that we would get much more of him; how disappointing.

baskok

[20]Jan 8, 2011
    • level: 9

MY problem with the 8 th season is that they could'nt replace eric and kelso. It definitly felt like the gang missed them too much. Without eric present it felt like the roles of red and kitty became less important. Know they had to deal with hyde. Who was still living at the formans for some reason. I still watched the show till the end but it clearly dropped from an A to a D ( 10 to a 5) I held on but the show was just over and they we're acting in borrowed time. did any one thought that they would make a 9 th season?

The randy character - Yes the cast could use a new member but the way he entered was too simple. for me he was too boring and definitly not as ''played in'' as the others. Wich is normal when you're in a show for 8 years. And him hooking up with Donna was a bad choice.

The lack of good storylines - Does anyone remember the fatso the clown story line? Where the 20 + year olds had a problem with the manager of the fatso burger joint. Randy proposed to steal the fatso the clown head. And later they dropped the head. Come on that's something that would have been funny in season one. And fez and jackie. ofcourse fez had a crush on jackie in the earlier seasons but i did'nt buy it when jackie suddenly became interested in fez and later when they had a fight and fez turned her hair green. He said to her know your as ugly on the outside as you are in the inside. Holy ....! Does that sound like the fez we know?

Characters too old to play teenagers - It felt like they did'nt develop themselves enough. In order to stay funny they had to be just as childish and petty as in the earlier seasons. Eventhow they we're clearly much older. kelso was like the oldest of them but still he had to remain the clumsy dumb funny guy. Even so with fez who did'nt change much.

My opinion is that if eric and kelso left they should have at least move the gang to a new surrounding. Maybe a college where donna hyde fez and jackie study. They could have new characters like a grumpy head of the school a neurotic teacher. a crazy janitor. Maybe some love interests for the gang. And even more drama like maybe donna feeling the pressure of her studies and she taking heavy drugs. Jackie who finally changes and grows up in college as she meets a new guy. Hyde who follows a mechanic course. Fez who want's to be a translater in english. This is an example of how they finally grow up. And red an kitty could be in recurring roles as visitors. Like kitty being overprotective when she sees hyde an fez sloppy dormroom and she starts to clean up. Red would be anoyed by this lame ass college and is grouchy to everyone. And maybe bob could visit donna and embarrish her for the rest of the students. This would be different then the 8 th season we know but let's face it the show needed some new impulses.

Edited on 01/08/2011 6:50am