That '70s Show Forums

FOX (ended 2006)

How Season 8 Could've Been Better *In Your Own Opinions*

  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [21]Jun 2, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 419

    soapieaddict23 wrote:
    I have never seen Randy, so I'm not sure if I'll hate him as much, but I agree they should have kept Charlie, just because Bret Harrison is awesome.



    I agree that I would have liked to have seen them keep Bret Harrison because he is a great actor to add to the show, however his character was awful. It was obvious that Charlie was being setup to be a "replacement Eric" for the show to center around, which just couldn't end well. I've seen this before! A cheesy setup to replace lovable but dorky everyman Eric with an even dorkier character who was the son of Red's old navy buddy (I guess they were afraid to make him Eric's cousin). Talk about lame! I was actually glad that he was dropped because that would have allowed them to simply not change the show (by that point it needed to be shaken up) and they probably would have simply kept the same tired formula only with Eric's name scribbled out and Charlie in the place of it. Harrison was a huge get for the show (he was chosen from the scrap heaps of another Carsey Werner sitcom, Grounded for Life) but he was just given a bad role and they should have not attempted to turn him into "replacement Eric" but instead just into another friend who joins the group. I actually think that Charlie probably would have been better as a polar opposite brother of Kelso but not as the center of the show. However all of this changed when Bret Harrison chose to do "The Loop" instead of joining the cast of season 8.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JamieGardner2

    JamieGardner2

    [22]Jun 4, 2011
    • member since: 06/04/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Season eight was an epic failure!


    I hated Randy.


    Randy was a replacement for Eric.


    It was too odd how they basically lived in Erics house while he was away.


    I don't want to hate on this show because it was my favorite show EVER.


    It gave me lots of laughs.


    I just pretend there was no season eight.


    I'm also a fan of Jackie and Hyde,but I don't complain about Jackie and Fez.


    My only real problem was Randy.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [24]Jul 13, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 419

    JamieGardner2 wrote:


    Season eight was an epic failure!


    I hated Randy.


    Randy was a replacement for Eric.


    It was too odd how they basically lived in Erics house while he was away.


    I don't want to hate on this show because it was my favorite show EVER.


    It gave me lots of laughs.


    I just pretend there was no season eight.


    I'm also a fan of Jackie and Hyde,but I don't complain about Jackie and Fez.


    My only real problem was Randy.



    Randy was actually considered by the people running the show to be a replacement for Eric and Kelso.


    I don't see what they problem was with them still being at Eric's house while he was away, after all Hyde lived there as was considered a son by Red and Kitty. Happy Days did the same thing with the Fonz after Richie left the show.



    The problem with Randy was really with the writers. The writers were horrible that season. I actually like Josh Meyers and think he was a great addition to the show. He has a great delivery. The writers gave him the worst lines imaginable for some reason. They also put him in a immediate relationship with Donna (talk about polarizing). The first person she should have dated should have been outside of the group because obviously everybody was going to hate this person. They always seemed to have him sort of driving the conversation in the group for some reason and obnoxiously acting as if everything he said was funny (the audience didn't think he was at all) and obnoxiously making statements about how gorgeous he was(the audience didn't think this either). Before the season started, the writers declared that they loved how he supposedly was being used to replace both Eric and Kelso because he was sarcastic and allegedly great looking (I've never heard of any female declaring him to be that way). Looks aside, I think he can deliver a line very well it was just that they gave him terrible ones. Many of the characters during that season seemed to be having the same problem. Hyde would be off on his jokes some days and Fez no longer said "I said good day". The episode that showed best what the writers should have done with him occurred near the end when he was not in the center of the show, not dating Donna, but spending the episode at the record store as a sarcastic sidekick to Hyde. Now give him some funny lines and that is how they should have treated his character.

    Edited on 07/13/2011 9:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [25]Jul 14, 2011
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    Canogaparkcindy wrote:
    lintball13 wrote:
    maybe they shouldnt even have made an 8th season. all the actors left the show and the ones that were still on at the end looked too old to have been teenagers.
    They weren't teens anymore, they graduated high school in S5.
    Technically they were. Which is also what I don't like is how the time works. The gang all graduate in 1979 and Eric celebrates his 18th birthday then after turning 17 in 1976. So apparently they're all 18 then (except for Kelso who admitted he was a year older, but he's still a teen)

    And in 1979, Jackie also had her senior year and graduated? Then more months passed by until the finale?

    I'd love to see a That '80s Show or That '90s Show with the same cast today and maybe start a little earlier in the decade, like '84-'94?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [26]Jul 16, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 419

    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Canogaparkcindy wrote:
    lintball13 wrote:
    maybe they shouldnt even have made an 8th season. all the actors left the show and the ones that were still on at the end looked too old to have been teenagers.
    They weren't teens anymore, they graduated high school in S5.
    Technically they were. Which is also what I don't like is how the time works. The gang all graduate in 1979 and Eric celebrates his 18th birthday then after turning 17 in 1976. So apparently they're all 18 then (except for Kelso who admitted he was a year older, but he's still a teen) And in 1979, Jackie also had her senior year and graduated? Then more months passed by until the finale?


    Agreed. I don't understand why they had to keep dating the show with the license plates in the credits when it was obvious they were attempting to stall the ages of the characters on the show. They could have dropped the license plate years by season 3 at least. On top of that, why have so many holiday episodes every year? In my opinion, the show should have started at least a year or two earlier (in the 70s) so that by season 8 the cast could at least have hit their twenties.


    I disagree on the idea of a That 80s show with the same cast. This cast in the 80s would not have worked as a full series. I would have rather seen the producers do a better job with the actual That 80s Show that made it to TV and bombed on Fox. I also would have loved to see an 80s spinoff from the show to follow up directly after the show ends (but not with the same cast, but with characters set up in the last episodes of the show).


    Edited on 07/16/2011 7:06am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.