That '70s Show Forums

FOX (ended 2006)

season 7 was the last good one

pudgebyrd722

[21]Dec 10, 2011
    • level: 51
    Season 7 was better than Season 8 but still bad, in my opinion. I wouldn't of minded them ending it after Season 6 and Eric and Donna getting married, but noooo. I hated how Eric was just a lazy bum the majority of the season and Donna was okay with it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[22]Jan 18, 2012
    • level: 13
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    I hated how Eric was just a lazy bum the majority of the season and Donna was okay with it.

That's basically Eric the entire series! He was always some lazy, twitchy skinny two-bit stoner who really didn't amount to anything.

WhitneyMuse1

[23]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 1

Since I'm just seeing these; (the series for the first time) these comments are my guide to the TV show, of which I love. It's so funny and a wonderful commentary on the '70s and that era; salute to the writers, and here I thought the show 2 1/2 Men was funny and my favorite show...not anymore. I've loved this show for a few months now, and many of the show are brand new for me still! What a great discovery "It's a wonderful life" in this series has been...(can't wait to see it again) I'm a "That '70s Show" virgin....have even caught myself watching a show at 2:15 AM and that's a first for me.

drudager

[24]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'd say Season 5 was the last good one. By season 6 they were out of high school & had to venture off into their depressing world as adults. Seasons 7 & 8 were a total wash.

WhitneyMuse1

[25]Jan 22, 2012
    • level: 1
    I'm so new to this series (reruns)...noticed that I'm laughing quite a lot; looking back much of which is season 2; so I look forward to more laughs in re-run land.

mrjimmyjames

[26]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 7

I would actually argue that the season 6 wedding finale was the peak of the show. For whatever stupid reason, the writers made conscious desicion to completely de-serialize the show in seasons 7 and 8 and attempt to make the show just like it was in before when there weren't many plotlines driving the show. The problem is that when sitcoms age they need to become more serialized in order to drive not only interest-- but they also help create humor on sitcoms. Friends would be a great example of this. The way the show was done before could not be done anymore; they needed more plotlines to keep it good. They didn't and there was a noticeable decline.

However, I would say that the last several episodes of season seven (the slow buildup of Eric's departure) were classic. The beginning of season eight was also very good and I didn't even notice the fact that Eric was gone because the rest of the cast was still there and as a result it felt very fresh without him. It wasn't until after the fourth episode of season eight (when Ashton left) that I think the show jumped the shark. It was like someone flipped a light switch off. Suddenly the writing became horrible and as a result you noticed that both guys were gone.