That '70s Show Forums

FOX (ended 2006)

Should the 8th season be better off as a spin off?

baskok

[1]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 9

In my opinion the 8th season was very poor. After eric left it felt like there was no good reason for the kids to hang out at the formans household. Here's an idea for a spin off series. It is 1979 and the town of point place is loosing a lot of work due to the oil crisis. Now fez,hyde,jackie andDonnaneed to apply to a local college. Here's adescriptionof the known and new characters.

Donna - She studies journalism know and shares adorm roomwithJackie. She takes her studies very seriously and sometimes she uses a drug to stay awake. this could be a big problem for her during the season.

Jackie - She studies cosmetics and is a litlle bit less serious then donna and goes to a lot of parties. But later she meets up with a new guy and she becomes less snobby

Hyde - Lives with fez in a dormroom. He studies mechanics and he owns a bike know. He still feels like he becomes a conformer.Sometimes he doesn't study hard enough but he gets by.

Fez - He studies english to become a translator. He still has a crush onJackiebut later in the season he meets a girl from his country.

Principal Rudy - a some what tight ass who checks up on his students a lot. laterDonnaandHydeget troubles with him.

Lunch ladyNorma - a nice sweet lady who has to serve crappy food. Fez has a crush on her.

Teacher Paul powers - A some what neurotic man who runs a tight schedule.

TeacherSarahWalters - Agood lookingwoman and love interest ofHydeand fez at first. Later on in the season they find out she married.

JanitorSergeikolorov - ARussianman who acts strange at times. he might be a spy. butHydeand fez continue tosubconsciouslyspoil his plans of spying on the students. ( opening up a door whenSergeitries to contact the motherland and he falls into a dumpster) Maybe later the find out that he is a s.vjet spy and have to stop him.

JasonClearwater- The love interest ofJackiehe is cool and very different from her but he finds her not so **** as she claims to be.

Ritaconstanza- The girl from fez country. She is alittlebitgulliblebut fez stands up for her.

Recurring roles - Red , bob and kitty who visit the kids from time to time. Redof coursesees this is a lame ass college. Kitty is overprotective and brings them fruits and vegetables. Bob want's to stay on campus after seeing Sarah. A few episodes he hides on campus.

This would be a great start for aspin offcalled that 70's show the college year. The gang is growing up and characters change gradually. Not unlike the 8th season we all know. A continuation where it felt likeEricand kelso never left.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Canogaparkcindy

[2]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 49
    baskok wrote:

In my opinion the 8th season was very poor. After eric left it felt like there was no good reason for the kids to hang out at the formans household. Here's an idea for a spin off series. It is 1979 and the town of point place is loosing a lot of work due to the oil crisis. Now fez,hyde,jackie andDonnaneed to apply to a local college. Here's adescriptionof the known and new characters.

Donna - She studies journalism know and shares adorm roomwithJackie. She takes her studies very seriously and sometimes she uses a drug to stay awake. this could be a big problem for her during the season.

Jackie - She studies cosmetics and is a litlle bit less serious then donna and goes to a lot of parties. But later she meets up with a new guy and she becomes less snobby

Hyde - Lives with fez in a dormroom. He studies mechanics and he owns a bike know. He still feels like he becomes a conformer.Sometimes he doesn't study hard enough but he gets by.

Fez - He studies english to become a translator. He still has a crush onJackiebut later in the season he meets a girl from his country.

Principal Rudy - a some what tight ass who checks up on his students a lot. laterDonnaandHydeget troubles with him.

Lunch ladyNorma - a nice sweet lady who has to serve crappy food. Fez has a crush on her.

Teacher Paul powers - A some what neurotic man who runs a tight schedule.

TeacherSarahWalters - Agood lookingwoman and love interest ofHydeand fez at first. Later on in the season they find out she married.

JanitorSergeikolorov - ARussianman who acts strange at times. he might be a spy. butHydeand fez continue tosubconsciouslyspoil his plans of spying on the students. ( opening up a door whenSergeitries to contact the motherland and he falls into a dumpster) Maybe later the find out that he is a s.vjet spy and have to stop him.

JasonClearwater- The love interest ofJackiehe is cool and very different from her but he finds her not so **** as she claims to be.

Ritaconstanza- The girl from fez country. She is alittlebitgulliblebut fez stands up for her.

Recurring roles - Red , bob and kitty who visit the kids from time to time. Redof coursesees this is a lame ass college. Kitty is overprotective and brings them fruits and vegetables. Bob want's to stay on campus after seeing Sarah. A few episodes he hides on campus.

This would be a great start for aspin offcalled that 70's show the college year. The gang is growing up and characters change gradually. Not unlike the 8th season we all know. A continuation where it felt likeEricand kelso never left.

It's a good idea, the spinoff, but I just felt like Donna's storyline was a bit too dark and it's been done before on Saved by the Bell. Also I don't think anyone would be worried about her since they do "drugs" all the time. I wouldn't have liked it to continue to be honest, and if this was a spin off. I definitely would not call it That 70s Show: The College Years. Since it's 1979, and if the show was successful, basically, you'd have to cram 5 seasons in that one year. Most of what you put down for the characters like Hyde & Fez, and the janitor just down pertain to That 70s Show's comedy. Obviously the spin off would be by the same writers, so I don't think it would be THAT kind of comedy. Most of what you wrote down is something I'd see on a different show. Sorry, but I can't really see this as a spin off.

baskok

[3]Oct 20, 2010
    • level: 9

You've made a flaw it's called the college YEAR ( read carefully before you make comments ). It's a spin off off course and i already remembered saved by the bell before writing this piece. The main reason to move them to a college is because they could stay together. During the 8 th season i just got tired of that forman household. It felt like the role of kitty and red was over. It would have been nice to see some new surroundings and some new cast members.

Donna's character might change during the season. We do need a serious storyline and shes the most normal character on the cast. She feels presured by her studies maybe even get the feeling that shes not going to pass. so she taken heavy drugs ( not the weed your probably thinking about)

This might be a logical continuation of the show taking place in one YEAR .Of courseit's not entirely original but still logical.

mrjimmyjames

[4]Jul 13, 2011
    • level: 7

Yikes. Baskok, move the setting to a college? I can't see that possibly working. One of the best aspects of the show is that they mostly ignored showing them in school period. I was more of a believer in simply just making the characters grow up a little more by showing jobs, apartments, which they halfway did- butlet's notsimply abandon the basement completely. But that's why the writers were so bad in season 8- they halfway did everything. Yes, more of the show took place at Hyde's record store or Fez and Jackie's apartment- a good decision, but not enough of it took place there. The show needed to treat the characters less like teenagers and more like people in there 20s. This reminds me of the terrible episode where the entire gang goes to the fair with Red and Kitty. Just when I thought they had let them grow up a little they do something rediculous like that. Why not have Fez become a hilarious womanizer (which they barely did- eventually), which would have been a great new twist on the character. Why not keep the same tense relationshipRed and Kitty had with Eric by simply transfering it to practically adopted son Hyde. We got one episode like that after Hyde married the stripper and it was great, it worked, and it made the show interesting. Yet immediately Red and Kitty let it go and no longer did they feel like characters needed on the show. Let's not forget the great misuse of the stripper that Hyde married, she was great at first and seemed like the replacement for Laurie (same kind of jokes were made about her) that the show had always wanted. Yet another half decison when she barely appears afterwards. I thought she was great but that leads to my biggest problem which was why did the show completely abandon the tension between Jackie and Hyde? I was all for a love triangle between Hyde, his wife, and Jackie, yet the writers seemed to not want any major continuous storylines which could have made the show much more fascinating. They needed the tension to continue (and to eventually lead up later in the season to another Jackie/Hyde reconciliation) in order to replace the Donna/Eric tension that was always at the forefront for seven seasons.