That '70s Show Forums

FOX (ended 2006)

Something I Noticed About The Show

pudgebyrd722

[1]Jul 15, 2011
    • level: 51

I noticed something about the show that I thought I'd throw out there. The first few times they wrote off characters, it seems like the writers forgot to make episodes describing how they left by the time they were already gone. Think about it:

1. They waited like 6 episodes of Season 4 until they finally wrote off Midge, who wasn't in the episode.
    2. Jo Ann wasn't in many episodes before they finally announced she had broken up with Bob, who wasn't in the episode, either, just "on the phone".

3. When Leo left, we didn't figure out what had happened until the middle of Season 5, and had to wait nearly 20 episodes I believe it was. Again, he just "left", and wasn't in the episode.

4. When Laurie was written off because she went to beauty school, she still had a relationship with Kelso, so the writers had to end it somehow. Remember on the Valentine's Day episode, Kelso goes up to her a room, a guy comes out, the relationship ends, and Laurie was never in the episode!

Obviously they wrote both Eric and Kelso out in the same episodes they left, but just saying about something weird about the first few times the show has handled writeoffs.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[2]Jul 20, 2011
    • level: 7

pudgebyrd722 wrote:

4. When Laurie was written off because she went to beauty school, she still had a relationship with Kelso, so the writers had to end it somehow. Remember on the Valentine's Day episode, Kelso goes up to her a room, a guy comes out, the relationship ends, and Laurie was never in the episode!

I've seen this written on the internet all of the time but no episode ever actually wrote her off the first time (season 3). She never left to attend beauty school, she attemptedbeauty school while living at homein only one episode, but it was never established that she was going to have to leave in the future to attend beauty school. That would make no sense; i've never heard of someone having to go away to beauty school. She was never actually written off the show the first time she left, the only thing they wrote off was her relationship with Kelso. For a while it seemed as if the Formans had forgotten they had a daughter; she was not mentioned for at least a season. It's not until season 5 when she returns that we found out that she was living in Chicago.

Most of these people who were not present in the episode that they were written out in simply left before the writers got the chance to explain their departures. Of course Lisa Robin Kelly was fired abruptly over drug issues in season 3 and mysteriously quit after filming the first episode of season 6 (the actress who replaced her refilmed the scenes).

Edited on 07/20/2011 1:48am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.