That '70s Show Forums

FOX (ended 2006)

Whats up with Topher, in the final goodbye he just leave. why ?

madsinorway

[1]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 1
    i was suprised when he didn't say goodbye. he really is a dumbass.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Doggett75

[2]Sep 30, 2008
    • level: 5
    I think you mean jackass. He got super popular from that show, left and went on to do a great movie in Spederman 3. plus I heard he came back durning tapings of the movie as well.

chriseternal

[3]Oct 1, 2008
    • level: 32
    He did do Spiderman 3 but don't forget his first movie after leaving the show was "In Good Company" with Dennis Quaid and Scarlett Johannsson. That is if I'm not mistaken. Don't think that I am but feel free to correct me.

krestin

[4]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 9
    Ashton Kutcher at least seemed like he wanted to be there. And Kutcher was more famous than Grace was. Topher Grace comes off as ungrateful asshat.

e30mily

[5]Dec 5, 2008

krestin wrote:
    Ashton Kutcher at least seemed like he wanted to be there. And Kutcher was more famous than Grace was. Topher Grace comes off as ungrateful asshat.

I looove Topher Grace. He's such a great actor. I can't think of any other actor with the kind of comedic talent that Topher has. His movies are awesome! I wish I could meet him!

gahzridian

[6]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 3
    that 70s show was way better than spider-man 3 for sure.

stylecutter

[7]Jan 5, 2009
    • level: 7
    i second that...

seinfeld111690

[8]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 25
    gahzridian wrote:

How can you compare a television show to a movie? Topher was the only one who knew how to quit while ahead, the rest of the cast wasted their time with that dreadful eighth season.

mr_snakeabee

[9]Feb 7, 2009
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    gahzridian wrote:

How can you compare a television show to a movie? Topher was the only one who knew how to quit while ahead, the rest of the cast wasted their time with that dreadful eighth season.

I agree, season 8 was terrible. It was hard to watch.

skchaudhary

[10]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 2
    Seriously, This is not expected behavior, when you are in the centre and leave like a cow.

13_Candles

[11]Feb 21, 2009
    I agree. I was watching the Final Goodbye on Youtube and it was introducing all of the characters but was waiting for Topher but he was never called. I hate when characters do that-let popularity get to their heads and just leave.

baskok

[12]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 9

I know what was up with that? He was in the last episode! But youdidn'tget to see him! The cast was reading their final lines and hewasn'tat the table? Maybe he left in a fight or he got tired of his role it could happen. Remember, they we're playing teenagers for years. Maybe he got tired of his role of the geeky mama's boy who always was the underdog.

That70showlova

[13]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 3

I was so upset when he left! Eric was such an awesome character! Is it just me or when he left; the show went to crap! Seriously, the 8th season was just awful!

r10tp00f

[14]Dec 25, 2010

Actually Topher did attend the wrap party, and the Final Goodbye taping, and all of that, only we, as the at-home audience didn't see this, and the reason for this was to maintain the element of surprise. The Final Goodbye special aired a week before (I think) the final two part That 70's Finale. The producers and the network wanted Topher's cameo in the final episode to be a surprise to the fans. In order to maintain the element of surprise for the at home audience, they couldn't include any footage of Topher in the behind the scenes goodbye special. So I don'tnecessarily think that this was a case of Topher being a jerk or anything.

But yeah... I have to agree that season eight never should have existed. I've said it so many times. The show belonged to Topher. Eric was the not only the main character, but the best character. If Topher wanted to leave the show, then the show should have ended.

mrjimmyjames

[15]Jun 2, 2011

r10tp00f wrote:

Actually Topher did attend the wrap party, and the Final Goodbye taping, and all of that, only we, as the at-home audience didn't see this, and the reason for this was to maintain the element of surprise. The Final Goodbye special aired a week before (I think) the final two part That 70's Finale. The producers and the network wanted Topher's cameo in the final episode to be a surprise to the fans. In order to maintain the element of surprise for the at home audience, they couldn't include any footage of Topher in the behind the scenes goodbye special.

I don't know that I can necessarily believe that. I think of a lot of the hatred for Topher is a bit over the top. I can't blame him for leaving after all he had several great film roles at the time and it's not like he can just go and hang out over there all of the time when he's filming movies. It's a bit ridiculous to expect him to keep coming back constantly after he left. The truth about season 8 was that it was going to suck if Topher came back anyway. The format of the show and his character were both worn out. Topher knew this and was ready to move on. The only way season 8 would have been good is if the writing and story planning/casting would have been done better. It was a chance for the show to be fresh again by shaking it up and adding new characters. The writers failed miserably at that and barely looked as if they had tried. I do however wish that Topher could have at least worked out some time in his schedule to at least appear at least in one episode during the season (prefferably in the episode in which he breaks up with Donna). And he definetely should have appeared in the last episode for at least twenty minutes. Don't get me wrong it was very exciting the way they brought him in at the last minute and the scene with Donna was excellent. But I would have liked to have seen him interact with other characters for a longer amount of time.

Edited on 06/02/2011 5:36am

Soccaluvr

[16]Jul 7, 2011

Both Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher expressed interest in leaving the show after season 6, but decided to stay for season 7, which was supposed to be the last season. Due to the show's stellar ratings, Fox decided to renew it for another, eighth, season, without the aforementioned leads. The major reason for Topher's departure in season 8 was his participation in Spiderman 3. A huge lifetime fan of the Spiderman comics, Topher - when offered the role - jumped at the chance to play a character in the franchise. Fortunately, he was able to schedule time (around filming the movie) to appear in a few last scenes in That '70s Finale, thus giving at least some closure to his character. Due to scheduling conflicts with Spiderman 3, Topher could not participate in the Final Goodbye.

mrjimmyjames

[17]Jul 13, 2011
    Soccaluvr wrote:

Both Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher expressed interest in leaving the show after season 6, but decided to stay for season 7, which was supposed to be the last season. Due to the show's stellar ratings, Fox decided to renew it for another, eighth, season, without the aforementioned leads. The major reason for Topher's departure in season 8 was his participation in Spiderman 3. A huge lifetime fan of the Spiderman comics, Topher - when offered the role - jumped at the chance to play a character in the franchise. Fortunately, he was able to schedule time (around filming the movie) to appear in a few last scenes in That '70s Finale, thus giving at least some closure to his character. Due to scheduling conflicts with Spiderman 3, Topher could not participate in the Final Goodbye.

Not sure why I keep seeing this confusion. Spiderman 3 had nothing to do with why Topher left the show. He landed the role of Eddie Brock after leaving the show to do films. They were not connected; no causation. Topher had long announced (along with Ashton) near the end of season 6 that they would not renew their contracts that were due to end at the end of season 7 in order to pursue films full time. Topher had long built up a low key yet critically successful film career (Traffic, Mona Lisa Smile, In Good Company) while on That 70s show and he (according to E! True Hollywood Story) felt like the character had went as far as it could go and was dying to branch out and do movies. He would have left regardless of whether or not he would have been offered the role of Eddie Brock in Spidey 3.

pudgebyrd722

[18]Jul 14, 2011
    • level: 51
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    gahzridian wrote:

The eighth season was only dreadful because Topher and Ashton left and Josh Meyers as Randy came in. Honestly, I don't know any more storylines they could of added for a Season 8, maybe just of ended it after a few more episodes of Season 6 with Donna and Eric getting married.

luv70s

[19]Nov 7, 2011
    • level: 4

What I disliked the most about his situation was they completely destroyed Toph's character because he didnt want to sign for an 8th season. It all went to hell when he was approached for a 7th season. See he and Ash signed up to s6 like someone upthread said and both Ash and Toph wanted to move on. Some of the cast/crew took that personally and I believe one of them went to the producers. Toph signed last and said no more than s7. Long story short Mark (who was featured a lot in THS) didn't take this well and completely taking it out on Toph's character. They treated him like crap and BSed their way thru the True Hollywood Story. He ONLY returned to close out his character in the series finale with two conditions. They abide to his other contract S3 and that he would didn't have to do the live show, just pretape his scenes. So how that whole he wasn't there for the finale worked out for THS is because truthfully he wasn't there BUT he was there for the wrap party.

mrjimmyjames

[20]Apr 15, 2013

pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    gahzridian wrote:
    The eighth season was only dreadful because Topher and Ashton left and Josh Meyers as Randy came in. Honestly, I don't know any more storylines they could of added for a Season 8, maybe just of ended it after a few more episodes of Season 6 with Donna and Eric getting married.

Yeah, but it would have been dreadful anyway if Topher came back. They had done all they could with the character and setup of the show. Honestly the show just needed to change at that point to something fresh if they wanted to continue at that point. Season 8 was going to be in decline either way. What really caused the last season to be bad was simply the writers; they were terrible. There wasn't much of an attempt to add anybody different to the show to replace Eric and Kelso, other than Randy (who I'll get to in a moment). The biggest mistake made that year was to completely throw Jackie/Hyde out the window. Terrible decision, I have no idea why they did it. I had no problem with Hyde getting married (it was interesting, Sam was good at being a Laurie facsimile) but they should have kept the tension between Hyde and Jackie and usedthis love triangleto drive the show. The show needed a relationship to replace Eric/Donna as the focus of the show.

They really needed to have the characters grow up a little in season 8. It should have been more about them being adults and having jobs. Having Fez and Jackie live in an apartment and Hyde run the store counts but the idea that the cast would still hang out with the Red, Kitty, and Bob so much seemed ridiculous. Not that I'm saying they needed to get rid of the basement (Hyde lives there, he's basically Red and Kitty's son). Just have them out a little more.

Randy was bad but Josh Meyers isn't. It's not his fault they gave him bad material; Josh Meyers clearly had a good delivery. And I do think he would have fit in as a friend/co worker of Hyde's (if they gave him funny lines) and not have him date Donna. I do think he was perfect for the show, just not executed well by the writers. And they clearly should have added more people than just him. What happened to all of the recurring characters? You'd think they'd have plenty to make up for Eric and Kelso not being there.

And I think its pretty clear in 2013 that they missed out by not making Jim Rash (Fenton, Fez's landlord) at least a recurring presence. He's won an Oscar and is now on Community.