That '70s Show

My Fairy King

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 2006 on FOX

• Hyde and Samantha's marriage hits a major complication. Red's muffler shop is threatened by a new chain store moving to town. And Jackie may just be developing feelings for Fez.

Finally, some direction!
    This season has been floundering, but now as we approach the finale, the writers are starting to point everyone towards a conclusion, and that means this episode contains three big events.
    First, Hyde and Samantha: since it looks like Hyde and Jackie are not getting back together, I wouldn't have minded if these two were able to reconcile their differences. But I didn't really expect them to do so. Anyway, the resolution fit well with Hyde's personality.
    Second, Red: this was the high point of the episode. Red decides to retire. We get some great funny Red moments and a really warm moment between Kitty and Red after he sells his business to the chain store for big bucks ("You fought in two wars, you've been working hard your whole life, you deserve this.")
    Third, Fez and Jackie: I'm not sure what I think of this. This would be the third main character Jackie would date in the series, so I'm not sure if I like that. I also don't know if I like when two characters are put together just for the finale (because there isn't time for the show to convince us that these two can really work). One the other hand, they would be an all right couple and I do want the characters to have a happy ending. At least this is more interesting than Donna & Randy.
    Since, this episode ran as part of an hour-long block, I'd like to give away some of what happens in the next episode.
    The Jackie-Fez plot was made to feel very contrived. First, Fez's girlfriend leaves him with no forshadowing whatsoever (it really made no since, and felt like the writers didn't even try). Also, when Jackie is about to share her feelings with Fez, he announces he's going to quit looking for a meaningful relationship and just play the field. Why does he want to do that? Why, to make sure he and Jackie don't get together until the end of course! I'm still interested, but I just hate this sort of "will they, won't they?" crap, because it's all been done a thousand times before.
    Oh, and finally, both of these episodes were pretty funny, and had alot of good chuckles if nothing else. They both were above average for this season (although still not as good as the first 5 seasons).
MNT