A The 100 Community
Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning April 24, 2018)
The 100 has recently been regarded as one of the best shows that’s currently on television by critics and fans alike. As a 100 fan, it’s encouraging and great to hear when new viewers decide to check it out and become instant fans of the show. Although there are some factors that deter people from trying it (like the fact that it’s on The CW and that the first episodes were fairly mediocre), the following 10 reasons would hopefully encourage people to give it a chance or to stick it out for some who gave up on it early on.

Warning: Mild spoilers ahead!

1 - It Has an Interesting Premise

The first thing that piqued my curiosity about the show was its premise when it was first introduced during pilot season. The 100 is set 97 years after a nuclear apocalypse had ravaged Earth leaving no apparent survivors. Fortunately, some people had managed to escape the destruction by seeking refuge on a space station called the Ark. 97 years later, the Ark sends down 100 juvenile delinquents to see whether Earth was survivable for the rest of the Ark’s inhabitants. As a fan of sci-fi dystopian stories, it’s no surprise that this show was interesting to me. Likewise, the premise sounds like something that would draw in fans of this genre.

2 - Its Portrayal of Strong and Powerful Female Characters

Clarke, Raven, Lexa, Octavia and Abby are The 100’s staple of strong female characters with some of them holding ultimate positions of power. Although the show portrays them as kickass women, it’s also not afraid to show their vulnerable moments that demonstrates to us how human they are despite their appearances of power. For example, Clarke’s breakdown in front of her mother after Finn’s death was heartbreaking as viewers don’t often see her reflect on how much she’s had to go through from the second that she first stepped on Earth.

3 - The Acting
The cast continues to impress acting-wise. Initially, I was a little skeptical of some of the acting of the younger characters given that I wasn’t familiar with any of their previous work aside from Eliza Taylor (Clarke) and Bob Morley (Bellamy) both from Aussie soap Neighbours. However, as episodes went by, I was pleasantly surprised by the demonstration of the depth of their characters. But if that’s not enough, then the portrayers of the adult characters such as Paige Turco (Abby), Isaiah Washington (Jaha) and Lost’s Henry Ian Cusick (Kane) should reassure you with their consistent and solid performances.

4 - The Evolution of its Characters

Every character has managed to go through some growth for better or for worse and the great writing has ensured that the character development feels natural. Even though Kane and Bellamy started off as selfish and antagonistic characters, by the end of the 1st season, they were heroic in their actions on Earth and the Ark. Clarke and Finn began as upstanding characters but each ended up committing atrocities in the name of war. Additionally, Octavia began as a free-spirited girl who transformed into a hardened warrior and Jasper was the show’s source of comic relief who turned into a broken person still reeling from Maya’s death. Even Murphy became a likable character considering how insufferable he was in the 1st season which really speaks of the strength of the writing.

5 - Its Expansive Mythology

One of the great things about this show is how its world keeps expanding. The 100 in its first season was fairly limited in perspective since it only showed us the occurrences of the 100 on the ground and the Arkers in space. The introduction of the Grounders early on hinted at the dangerous world that the 100 found themselves inhabiting. Season 2 continued to build on the Grounder and Reaper mythology in addition to the official introduction of the Mountain Men. Season 3 so far continues to expand the Grounder culture by focusing on the Ice Nation and introduces viewers to the City of Light.

6 - The Historical Influences

Any history buffs out there would appreciate the historical influences that certain events on the show evoke. Season 2’s massacre on the Grounder village is reminiscent of the My Lai massacre during the Vietnam War. Additionally, the scientific experiments unwillingly conducted on the 47 Arkers and the captured Grounders inside Mount Weather is eerily similar to how prisoners were treated in concentration camps by the Germans during World War II. The nods to various historic events does lend the show a sense of authenticity and a certain weight to the characters’ circumstances.

7 - The SHIPS!!!

Of course Bellarke, Clexa and Linctavia are the most well-known ships of the show if you happen to visit Tumblr. However, there are other platonic and familial relationships that are equally interesting that don’t get enough acknowledgement. Bellamy and Octavia’s relationship is unique since they’re the only pair of siblings among the Arkers, affording them a dynamic that’s different from any other relationship on the show. Monty and Jasper’s deep friendship is currently fractured due to recent circumstances and Abby and Clarke’s mother/daughter relationship is rife with past betrayals and the parallels between their leadership styles. Although the romantic ships are a fun added bonus of the show (Bellarke FTW!!!), the other relationships makes up so much of who the characters are and are equally important to the show.

8 - It’s Morally Complex
“Maybe there are no good guys” – Abby
The above quote in relation to the morality of each character could not be more accurate. Just as there are no good guys, there are also no bad guys. There’s no clean cut villain or hero since the characters are multifaceted (perhaps with qualities of both villains and heroes). The show operates in shades of grey as every character has reasons for their actions that viewers may or may not agree with which makes the show all the more compelling.

9 - Trigedaslang
In maintaining a sense of authenticity in regards to the Grounder culture, a whole new language was invented thanks to David J. Petersen (also credited with creating the languages of Dothraki and Valyrian for Game of Thrones). Called Trigedaslang, it was introduced in Season 2 and cements the multilayered nature of the Grounder culture. Plus, it’s fun to learn a new language (even if it’s made-up)!

10 - The Scenery

The 100
is filmed in Vancouver and that provides the show with some stunning scenery shots. Although most scenes feature the woods prominently, shots of lakes and mountains occasionally appear that really grounds the post-apocalyptic nature of the show.

If you managed to make it to the end of this longass article, then congratulations! I hope that I’ve done my duty successfully in getting others to give this underrated show a chance. May we meet again.
23 Comments
Comments (23)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 24, 2017

Does it have nudity/sex or any of those graphic scenes that Christians shoould avoid?? That's what I currently want to know before I reccomend it to others
Flag
May 07, 2018
Since this is not a show on HBO or Showtime, you can rest assured that there won't be any sex scenes. However, some scenes can be pretty violent. Thanks for taking the time to read it!
Flag
Mar 02, 2016
I have only finished the first 11 episodes of season 1 and from some of what I have read about season 3 I may change my mind but to your 10 reason list I would relist them 2-11 and add a new #1. The belief is a caring and forgiving God. As a Christian and sci-fi fan it is difficult to find a show that bring the two together in an honest and correct way. As I have told my Sunday school class and other Christians there are ways to work in the message in any place without an in your face view. The 100 did a great job in season 1 episode 5 "Twilight's Last Gleaming" and season 1 episode 7 "Contents Under Pressure".
Flag
Mar 02, 2016
It's great to hear that you've watched this amazing show. These reasons are placed in random order so there's no specific and strategic reasoning behind the placement of my points.

You raise up a good point as to how The 100 brings in religion and the way that they seamlessly integrate it in the Grounder culture and the lives of the Arkers. At first glance, you wouldn't think that this show is very philosophical but once you dig a little deeper into the decisions that the characters make and the reasons behind it, it surprisingly is.
Flag
Feb 27, 2016
I have a week down time due to a mild heart attack. No fear no damage to the heart at all. God was watching over me. I had been looking for a new sci-fi to watch during my time down. I had looked at this and passed it by. (I have Netflix) I may go back to it. And don't worry about people like TatraFan. They are just sad and in need of prayers.
Flag
Feb 28, 2016
It's good to know that I was successful in encouraging you to give The 100 a chance.

Thanks for checking this article out and thank you for your kind words in regards to TatraFan below. Also, hope that you feel better from your heart attack. :D
Flag
Feb 26, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Feb 28, 2016
I don't know if you're being deliberately mean or not. :( Btw, the A stands for the first letter of my name.
Flag
Feb 29, 2016
Ontologically speaking I exist therefore I am at least for is finite amount of time in the state of being. Now if you want to attribute other things like intention to my actions that opens new issues.
Flag
Feb 26, 2016
That was just too much fun-- easy, but, fun
Flag
Mar 02, 2016
No you are just a sad person.
Flag
Mar 02, 2016
I am very happy actually... Thanks for asking.
Flag
Feb 23, 2016
Perhaps, if you're trying to get someone new to watch a show, don't include or spoilers and character deaths in your speel. It kinda takes the edge of episodes upon episodes of drama and tension.
Flag
Feb 23, 2016
It kinda takes away from the points that I'm trying to make if I don't include at least a few examples from the show spoilers or not. But thank you for taking the time to check out the article! :)
Flag
Feb 22, 2016
11...Multiple massacres every season
Flag
Feb 23, 2016
It certainly keeps the tension up and leaves you feeling a massive amount of dread at what'll happen next.
Flag
Feb 22, 2016
Nice! One of the first things I tell people is that in the first few episodes I was like "Ugh, teen drama," but that it's so much more than that. The adults are main characters, too, and a lot of the teen stuff "grows up fast".
Flag
Feb 23, 2016
I've been watching CW shows for years so I was desensitised to the whole teen drama (*cough* Gossip Girl *cough*) but yes, surprisingly, it's perhaps the most adult show on the CW that's left me wondering whether it should be on AMC or Showtime. Thanks for reading this article and providing your thoughts! It's greatly appreciated! :)
Flag
Feb 22, 2016
Great article! I totally agree with you about the mythology and trigedasleng being part of what makes this show great. It really feels like a fully formed world. Btw it's trigEdasleng, not trigAdasleng. Tri + geda + sleng.
Flag
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you for taking the time out to read it! Also, thanks for the error in the spelling. I'll edit it now. :)
Flag
Feb 22, 2016
All soild points that should definitely get more people invested in this crazy beautiful heartbreaking show.
Flag
Feb 23, 2016
It's kinda frustrating that not a lot of people are watching this show and because of this, I'll always be worried whether it'll be cancelled or not. Sad that I can't do anything to help ratings-wise since I live in Australia.

Thank you for taking the time to read it and provide your thoughts. :D
Flag
Feb 24, 2016
I also live in Australia and can't actually watch it to give it ratings I have to watch it online which does nothing, it's the same with teen wolf it doesn't air here except on FOXTEL I think but that's way to expensive to have. I worry as well about both shows as people don't realise what there about they judge the shows by the names and season synopsis which isn't exactly inviting.
Flag
Feb 24, 2016
Foxtel is such a huge rip-off and yet, it has the best shows from the US that you can't get access to on free-to-air television where we end up with horrible reality shows like I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here or My Kitchen Rules. Ughhh!! That really leaves us Aussies with no option but to watch it online or download it.

Lol, I haven't even seen this season of Teen Wolf yet but will definitely check out Crystal Reed's return episode. Excited for that.
Flag
Feb 24, 2016
that's surprising
it's a really good show, so I hope it becomes more popular
Flag
Feb 24, 2016
Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones took about 3 seasons before it started to get universal acclaim and I think that it's the same case with The 100.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members