A The 100 Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Midseason 2018)

I am being totally serious here people. I for one cannot see any way the Grounders could see 100 kids landing within their territory as being a major act of war. It would be like seeing a bunch of drunk college students at a beach as being a sign of an amphibious invasion force is coming soon. So, if anyone has any real information cough it up! I slip it people so we can talk about it!

Thanks

Your Favorite Curmudgeon!
Comments (17)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 17, 2016
It's a TV show. Seriously, this isn't not research for a term paper.
Flag
Dec 29, 2014
The grounders were already at war with the mountain men + the kids burnt a grounder village.
Flag
May 25, 2014
The grounders are familiar with territory disputes. It has recently been alluded to that there are multiple grounder tribes that fight over territory relatively regularly. Thus have a 100 people drop smack dab in the middle of ones territory can't go unchecked.
Also just from history, it never goes well for the native population, when an "explorer" type shows up wanting to join the party.
Flag
May 21, 2014
Rammstein...

Flag
May 19, 2014
I think the Grounders may fear the technology available to the 100. It was the misuse of advanced technology that created the world they now inhabit and some of that tech is still available to the 100. The Grounders also don't have any idea how large a force the 100 represent so by hitting them hard and fast, the Grounders put the 100 on notice that this is their land, they rule and interlopers are not welcome.
Flag
May 20, 2014
1) What technology available to "The 100"? Since they arrived they've shown themselves to be technology pretty similar to the Grounders in the region. That is until the last episode where they produced firearms. Other wise the new kids on the block have shown themselves to be both technologically and militarily weaker than the Grounders.

2) Actually, they know exactly how large the first forces is 100 people basically. They can send out a recon team and count the people. Why bother attacking these people unless you absolutely have to. It would be better to capture a couple of them interrogate them get as much information as you possibly can from them.

3) Guerrilla warfare works better for the Grounders since they know the terrain. They can force the enemy out into areas where they encircle them and annihilate them.

But, still we've not figured out why the Grounders believe the new arrivals to be threats. Instead you would think they might see them as potential allies???
Flag
May 26, 2014
I was speaking of the grounders not knowing how big a force might follow the 100, as Fire_Ice suggested.

A look at history will show that whenever a large group presents itself to a community unaccustomed to outsiders, conflict usually arises very quickly. It's also strategically advantageous to hit the new group hard, fast and with no mercy. This delivers a clear message: Move on, you're not welcome here.

The 100 arrived in a ship from space, a technology superior to anything we've seen from the grounders. From the perspective of the grounders, what the 100 have with them is unknown but likely superior.

Beyond this, TatraFan, I think the needs of story dictate that conflict is required. And this is a story, something not necessarily driven by what is realistic or prudent.
Flag
May 26, 2014
That's not exactly true.

You many instances of large groups of people showing up as refugees without violence. Usually, you have a violence between groups when have a clear cut issue. For example the Mayflower showed up with 102 ( 101 for The 100) and essentially had a decent relationship with the native population. Another example would be Greenland-- hundreds of Vikings showed up on the shores of the great Island and pretty much cohabited with each other. The reason why both of them could have an easy relationship with the natives-- no direct competition with each other over resources.

Technology usually isn't the issue of violence. Usually technology just makes violence on one side far more effective in use. The underlying cause is always an issue of competition for resources. Right now we don't see any real competition between the Grounders or Spacers. We need to see some form of competition for resources to make this believable.

The story is really one thing: an allegory for Western Europeans meeting Native Peoples of the Americas. The Dutch had better relationships with most of the people they interacted with in the 16th-18th centuries. Why? Because they actually didn't attempt to conquer but merely trade with them i.e. Feudal Japan first opened up only to the Dutch until 1850's forced opening by the US. So, for me I need to see some reason why they would fight for this allegory to work. I don't see why this couldn't be an allegory for the way the Dutch dealt with trading with other populations? Not to say that Dutch and the Natives didn't get into disputes-- they did but overall the Dutch were more focused on trade rather than colonization. So, I ask you why wouldn't the Grounders possibly be more interested in trading with new people instead of attacking them right away?

More +
Flag
May 29, 2014
I'm not saying ALL those people would have died. I'm saying MOST of them would have. And the ones that lived would have had a lot bigger and more immediate problems to deal with initially and may not have had time to pass on their knowledge and build on it before they died, leaving behind a younger generation that wouldn't know much at all.

As for you connecting thing to ancient times that is different. Different population size, different tech, and different history. After thousands of years, epic advancements in technology (specifically the type to kill each other), and world wars, a NUCLEAR war, we don't know how divided things could get fast. Hell look at the way people started attacking minority middle eastern groups in the US after the twin towers were attacked. People turn on each other fast when they are scared. A nuclear war would do so much more damage to trust and a sense of security.
Flag
May 29, 2014
So, you are saying that no one with a mechanical background is going to survive? Not one person who is capable of understanding simple mechanical devices?

Further more you posit that not one Chemistry, Physics, or Biology teacher will survive the blast? Not from High School or Colleges? Please, people would survive and since there are 7 billion of us today-- in another 3 years it will be 9 billion-- the odds of having people with a background in science, engineering, or just plain technically well versed is not a big stretch of the imagination. You might not have the world class scientists any more but you will people that can figure out how create a simple water mill or wind turbine for power.

As for the destruction of culture-- I wouldn't be surprised if city-states evolved in area. In fact they could have complex networks of trade and cooperation. It has happened for centuries. So to say that a bunch of people who saw themselves as part of one nation would return to tribal systems is pretty hard to swallow after a major disaster 97 years earlier. After the Roman Empire fell people thought for a good century or so in the outlining districts that they were still Romans.

And yes, after Roman fell a lot things were lost. But, not everything was lost. In fact much of the knowledge of Roman that we have to do was preserved during the Dark Ages by the only the Catholic Church. So, if the Catholic Church become the center of knowledge and focal point of all learning in the Europe in the dark ages-- why wouldn't some thing similarly occur with teachers who have survived the blasts? This would be especially true in communities that were too small for targeting for destruction. They could easily save as much knowledge as possible for future generations.

So, I don't buy this storyline one bit they are pushing right now.
More +
Flag
May 29, 2014
I think you are giving humans to much credit. Think about it, this is still 97 years later, with as you have pointed out a majority of the population DEAD. That means you have most likely lost all your scientists and engineers, the people that build those things. For the first little while they were probably so busy trying to survive radiation and all the fallout to start building complex machines. Not to mention a lot of the resources to build that material is destroyed. Also most of the people/ grounders we have seen have been young, they wouldn't have any solid concept of what existed before, aside from stories and the ruins of things,

As for conflict probably being a non issue, we KNOW because Lincoln told us in the I Become Death episode that there are other tribes and they are dangerous and at war with each other. I'm not saying it is large scale or constant, but I certainly got the impression that if one side were to cross into the others territory it would be dealt with swiftly and harshly. I mean they speared Jasper right away when he crossed the boundaries. That to me says the conflicts amongst grounders is real.

In the end we haven't really been given enough information on the grounders yet. But I am not at all surprised they are treating the 100 as hostile.
More +
Flag
May 28, 2014
You don't always know when Refugees are coming. During the Ancient Period Refugees moved around with little warning to other City-States or Empires.

You're argument doesn't hold water really.

First off the planet's populations are so small at this point that running into each other is probably not a big deal. We are talking about populations of less 2-3,000 grounders in a 1000sq miles most likely. So that means the drain on resources in any region is very low.

Secondly, it is absurd to think that humans after 97 years on the Earth would devolve back into a Neolithic State. People of today (or near future less 40 years from 2014) would probably be able to be able to see and create simpler machinery--i.e. water-powered generators and manufacturing, wind-power, perhaps they even have stockpiled solar panels. The point is that the Humans on the Earth might not have computers or other electronics but they could easily be in a technology state of the early 1850-1860's.

The make simple Steam Turbines like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBh8cHZvE9U
Flag
May 27, 2014
Yes but they undoubtedly know their history. The Mayflower may have started off peaceful but it didn't stay that way. Invasion is invasion, whether it is intentional or warranted. When people move into another group / cultures territory issues, of varying degree, are bound to spring up.
Also this is the FUTURE, a post nuclear war that decimated the earth has occurred. Clearly there has been an escalation of conflict between people between now and the future the show is taking place in, to be cautious is not unreasonable.
Furthermore, usually you know when there is a group of refugees coming your way, they aren't perceived as a threat because you are usually aware of where they are coming from and why. But there are instances of them being detained and treated poorly out of fear, before people realize they are just refugees.
The point is this is a conflict ridden planet, and now there is another unknown coming down on the grounders. It isn't unreasonable in anyway that the "native" population wouldn't want the new comers around, messing up what they have and being a burden on their limited territory.
Flag
May 25, 2014
I think Cheriebery was referring to the grounders not knowing how many people are on the arc. The grounders probably assumed that the 100 were the first wave of attackers, and they didn't know how many more could come down.
Flag
May 20, 2014
Well, the Grounders did say that the flares burned down a village, so that is definitely a threat if they have no understanding of how likely that is to occur again.
Flag
May 20, 2014
Prior to the flares-- the grounders speared jasper.
Flag
Dec 29, 2014
Jasper was going to enter the Mountain men territory.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members