A The 100 Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Midseason 2018)

We are about halfway through the first season of The 100, and a lot has happened so far, and it's been great! So far, over 330 people have died, and that's only in 7 episodes! And the episodes have been both action-filled and emotion-filled. And, because it 's on the CW, love-filled with the occasional sex. Now some of the relationships I just don't care about (that whole love triangle) while some I think are so cute (Jactavia. Is that the official Jasper + Octavia name?). The best part of the show though is its deaths.

Three deaths stand out from the rest (counting the 320+ killed on the Ark as one death because they all died in the same event). The first was Wells' death. At first you don't really like him as much because he got Clarke's father killed. But, then you find out that he actually took the blame so Clarke wouldn't hate her mother. Wells is amazing. Then immediately after that, he is killed. Next, it's Charlotte's suicide, which tops her murder of Wells. When her and Bellamy arrived at that cliff, I knew that someone would go off it, and most likely Charlotte. Charlotte is a murderer, but she is not evil. The third even tops Charlotte's suicide, when 320+ brave people on the Ark sacrificed their lives for the others. I actually cried during that, it was so indescribable and amazing.

The adult actors on this show are so good. Abby is my favorite character, but Jaha and Kane are also really good, especially in the most recent episode. On the ground, Bellamy, Octavia, and now Raven stand out. Clarke and Jasper are also good, and so was Wells. Monty we really don't get to see enough of to judge, but he's been good in what we have seen. Finn is the one character I really don't care for. Like at all. He's boring and uninteresting. I feel he's only there for romantic and attractiveness purposes.

Most of the episodes of this show have been really good. The main exception to that though is episode six. Honestly my favorite parts of that were Bellamy's flashbacks. Episode seven was up and down, but overall I'd say it was good, and episode two didn't stand out in any way. The best episodes are four, due to Charlotte, and five, due to the death of the 320+ on the Ark. I'm very excited for the rest of this season.

Also, one more thing, on the location of The 100. In this last episode, there was a hurricane, which means, obviously, that they are somewhere where there are hurricanes. There was a brief glimpse at a map when connection was getting difficult between the Ark and the 100, and they said that the storm was right above them. On that map, the hurricane sat on top of Florida, the Bahamas, Cuba, etc. There are people that survived, which make Florida and Cuba both very unlikely locations. This makes me think that they may be in the Bahamas. Also, this is supported by the fact that the grounder we have met is black, and 90% of the population in the Bahamas is black, and that they speak English in the Bahamas. In the first episode, they were trying to get to Mount Weather. The highest point in the Bahamas is Mount Alvernia on Cat Island. While this mountain isn't very high (it isn't even really tall enough to be considered a mountain), we haven't really seen if Mount Weather is that high either. So, my guess is that the 100 are on Cat Island in the Bahamas.

Now that I'm done nerding out, I am looking forward to the remaining six episodes of this season, and to future seasons (renewal is very likely for The 100). I hope that a lot of people continue to die, and that the people on the Ark continue to be awesome.

What are your thoughts so far on The 100's first season?
42 Comments
Comments (42)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 17, 2014
Actually the location where "the 100" landed has already been revealed in the pilot and it's not even a wibbly-wobbly location, it's pretty exact. And Cat Island isn't it.
Take a look:

The first is a screenshot from the pilot where Clarke looks at a map trying to figure out where Mount Weather is. The second half is a screenshot from Google Earth. Mount Weather is NOT a fictional place and there even is supposedly a fallout shelter below the installation, which happens to be an operations center of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

It is in Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains right at the border between Clarke and Loudoun County, near a town called Bluemont. All these details can be seen (or are hinted at in the case of the Blue Ridge Mountains - only the Rudge is visible) in the map shown in the pilot and can be verified with any map tool. The blue line in the Google Earth screen shot is the county border between Clarke and Loudoun and as you can see it is exactly replicated in the map from the pilot. Also like in the show there's a lot of forrest around it.

So we're definitely in Virgina, not in the Bahamas ;-)
More+
Flag
May 05, 2014
I like Bellamy's character, good and bad at the same time, is starting to look like Damon Salvatore more and more...
Flag
May 05, 2014
I love this series and I'm no teenager/young adult. A few gripes though. The scene where Jasper gets speared is ridiculous. Hit in the chest with a spear that size would have split his sternum, collapsed his lungs, etc. Death would be imminent and a little goo and a leaf wouldn't heal him. Also someone, set coordinator, whoever, seemed to be confused about ground location. They've dropped them into forests that resemble the redwoods of the west, yet they are showing a screen with a hurricane over the southern US and you think they are on an island that has jungle habitat. Location is complete screwed and they need to do something about that. That was a really bad mistake on their part. I love the new 'ground' character they brought in played by Whittle. He's perfect. And the take he's got on his character is spot on. I hope they make him a regular. He could really shake things up. I do think they should lighten up on Clarke's constant intensity. It's all ready getting a little old. Quit picking on Finn, guys, he's there to fill in some of the gaps and round things out. Clarke and Raven I see forming a solid friend/partnership. Both are intelligent and passionate characters that compliment each other. They don't seem to know which direction Bellamy's character is going to move toward, protagonist/antagonist? I just hope the writers don't get crazy and start throwing in impossible and improbable scenes that ends up making the series just plain stupid. Right now, it's really good.
More+
Flag
May 05, 2014
I definitely like this show, it's fun to watch. It's not too thought provoking, just entertaining, which is what I need to watch after a hard day's work.

I like Octavia's character the best, she has great chemistry with Dave (or Steve) the Grounder.

Clarke needs to quit being so impatient with everyone, although love that she's a strong female lead.

Not impressed with Finn or Bellamy.

This show is not in the Bahamas, review your Geography and logic, or just read TatraFan's post below.
Flag
May 04, 2014
my biggest fear is , when others come down they will land on some other part of earth . and show will waste a season or half in attempt to re unite them . that will be so boring , i hate these reunion and separations which are stretched out . like separation of starks in season one , and they havent been united yet its been 4 seasons ( Game of Thrones) and that sucks. I wish they dont take obvious route and for once just unite kids with their mums dads and other elders.

Flag
May 04, 2014
I guess Geography isn't your strong suit right??? When was the last time you saw large pine tree forests in the Bahamas? Also the Bahamas are known to be low and flat with the highest point about 207ft above sea-level. Not to mention the real Mt. Weather is located in Virgina. Even if this stories Mt. Weather is some other location other than Virginia-- no way is it in the Bahamas. Also storms move up the coast of the United States thanks to the Gulf stream. So not one of your inferences in this case makes sense. Not that the series itself made sense with the Hurricane just magically forming out of thin air in middle of Virgina (or some other coastal state of the US)... THAT IS WHY THE CW SHOULD STICK TO THEIR TO BREAD AND BUTTER STUFF-- TEENAGE SEX!
Flag
May 03, 2014
Poor Finn. Nobody likes him :P

I don't want him written off just yet. We have seen other characters develop more facets to their personality. He just needs his turn. As it currently stands I don't have much of an impression of him when compared to the others. All we know about Finn is what? He's supposedly good looking. Raven is his longtime friend and girlfriend. He likes to chill out in a bunker...and he can make origami jewelry. That's a pretty shallow profile considering we're 7 episodes in. And based on the previews it looks like Jasper will be a focus character in episode 8. Monty still needs his time to shine too. This is one of the drawbacks of having an ensemble cast this large. Some characters will slip through the cracks early on.

As for deaths...I expect there will be many more. The producer hinted the finale will be crazy and he actually used the word Braveheart to describe it. I can only assume this means a huge battle between the 100(or whatever the count is) and the hostile Grounders is coming. Oh yeah, and he said no character is safe.
This is really turning out to be a fun series to watch.
More+
Flag
May 02, 2014
This show is very good and really starting to grow on me more and more. As any good series there are characters I want to hug because I love them so much (Octavia, raven, hot grounder person who I call Steve) people I want to punch in the face (Kane, bellemy, new council lady) and people I want to die in a fire of death ( Murphy ). This show is starting to remind me of Battlestar Galactica and it's great the culling of the 320 was so BSG.
Flag
May 03, 2014
Kane was less punchworthy in this last episode. I daresay he actually showed real emotion and regret. So what's up with him? First he convinces Jaha not to resign as Chancellor and then he feels remorse about his own handling of the oxygen crises. I think he's still a jerk but no longer the prime suspect on the assassination attempt. The new suspect has to be Diana(the council lady).
Flag
May 03, 2014
Right on all counts. Thanks I just couldn't remember her name it always escapes me.
Flag
May 02, 2014
Very good discussion. I agreed with most things you stated. Though I think the people on the Ark is coming down to earth very soon and I actually looked forward to that. Bellamy issue with the law on the ark is also interesting. I hope they find a clever way to deal with that and not mess it up.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members