A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

Hello from the Television Critics Association summer press tour! Mark Pedowitz, president of The CW, bravely stood before critics and fangirls like myself this morning to discuss all kinds of CW-y things, like how Beauty and the Beast survived the chopping block while Carrie Diaries and Star-Crossed did not, why The 100 will have a relatively short run in Season 2, and whether a Supernatural spin-off is still a possibility. Here's what he had to say:

On Beauty and the Beast's surprise renewal:

In a cruel twist of fate, the widely panned drama Beauty and the Beast was the subject of more questions than any other show, thanks to one reporter who brought it up so many times during the session that Pedowitz offered to send him the box set. As for the reason Cat and Vincent managed to escape death this season, it essentially came down to the fact that Beasties be crazy (and also money): [The show] has a very engaged fanbase," Pedowitz said. "It has a very big international following. We brought it back because... it's a very profitable show for everybody." As for what's to come in Season 3, "[Cat and Vincent are] out in public. They're a couple. They have to find a life together. [Executive producer Brad Kern] has a really good place to go in terms of their discovering cases, working together as they go forward. He is a medical doctor in the show. And you know what? He'll get his license back."

On Hart of Dixie:

The heartwarming dramedy's fourth season will run for only 10 episodes as opposed to the usual 22, and while Pedowitz didn't explain the reason for that, he did say that Season 4 won't necessarily be the end for Bluebell. The network is waiting to see how the midseason shakes out before they schedule the series. "We’re excited to see what happens," he said. 

On The CW's ratings:

Pedowitz joked that he's "just happy to have viewers," but noted he's been trying to move away from being a network just for teenage girls. "Arrow was the first step to that," he said, noting that with the addition of Whose Line Is it Anyway, the network's ratings have been skewing slightly older in recent years. But he has a firm grasp on what viewers want from his network, which is "interesting characters in serialized form" and not standard procedurals.

Speaking of Whose Line Is It Anyway?, it's renewed!

The CW has ordered a new cycle of 24 half-hour episodes to debut in 2015. 

On why The Carrie Diaries, Star-Crossed, and The Tomorrow People were canceled:

As is the case with most cancellations, it all comes down to ratings. Pedowitz said he wishes he could've given The Carrie Diaries another season, but despite performing well digitally—which is why the show was renewed for Season 2—the ratings weren't there and streaming numbers didn't make it economically feasible to renew it for Season 3. As for Star-Crossed, Pedowitz said he appreciates the fans' passion and understands that's what makes shows work, but there weren't enough of them to keep the show going forward. The Tomorrow People simply didn't generate the audience on air or online to warrant another season.

On why The 100 found success:

Pedowitz believes in the power of the midseason and credited showrunner Jason Rothenberg for the series' rise, citing the show's grittiness as the reason it found success when so many other shows did not. "He made a gritty show out of something that was maybe not unique at first, but we made unique to ourselves." He also noted that The 100 has a solid fanbase, as well as a strong digital presence. Season 2, which premieres Wednesday, October 22, will run for 16 episodes (an increase from Season 1's 13 episodes, but not a full 22-episode season) in order to keep the story tight.

On the future of Supernatural and why Supernatural: Tribes failed:

According to Pedowitz (and probably everyone with eyeballs), Supernatural: Tribes "creatively didn't get where we wanted it to go." The network is open to another spin-off, however, and waiting to hear from producers Jeremy Carver and Robert Singer regarding another story. "I would love to get a Supernatural franchise done," he said. "I think it’s a great franchise and has a lot of legs." Pedowitz also said he sees Supernatural OG continuing beyond 10 seasons.

On whether The CW is interested in doing even more shows based on comic book characters, including Wonder Woman:

Pedowitz is open to picking up another show centered on a DC Comics character. "If there's one there, we will do it," he said. "At the moment, there's no development on Wonder Woman. We do know that Wonder Woman will appear in the Justice League movie. We do not know whether or not she'll become a TV character again. If she is, and we can get the rights, we will do it."

And finally, on the potential for totally obvious crossovers:

As long as it's organic to the story, Pedowitz said there's a possibility for future crossovers between The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. He also said that Arrow and The Flash will be introducing more villains from the DC universe, and that you might see characters shifting back and forth between the two shows.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I was hoping for the 100 getting a backorder for a full season for the second season i am upset

I Love this show i also want the 100 to get renewed for more future seasons i love this show so much

I am also wondering if the cast and the crew of GG 90210 and One Tree Hill can do some cw spin off shows too

one tree hill did a Wonderful job but they just left out unanswered details to Scott family we don't know anything about Dan's father we still don't know about Keith's mom Well Royal and his wife had a son dan and ever since when he lost his wife and got remarried to Keith's mom because he felt that dan need a mom. Keith's mom lost her husband some time ago and she got remarried to Dan's father because may felt that Keith needed a father

Yes Dan and Keith are full brothers but with a twisted story because Royal had another wife before he met Keith's mom Keith's mom had another husband before she meet dan's father

Flag
Supernatural tribes had the energy of being a show about "Dean Winchester braids his hair!" and seriously who the f**k would want to see that? Maybe if he took those braids and then strangled some creature with it, then yes.

Tribes failed because it looked like Supernatural 90210 and also because Dean didn't kill every creature on it. Want a SPN spin off? Take a leaf out of your "the 100" season and make a gritty show and it will stand a chance.
Flag
The CW is doing it right. It's finally doing mid-season shows and some cable sized seasons. It's going to do nothing but good for them to move from only having an option of 9 shows to follow all seasons.

10 episodes for HoD surprises me though, that's really short.
Flag
Beauty and the Beast has a fanbase?

Also I dont why Spn: Tribes was made in the first place, Why make a show that doesnt feel like the og with little to know ties to it? It seemed more like a TVD spinoff than it did Spn.

I like the way CW is going though, all they need now is shows reminiscent of Everwood, Gilmore Girls and 7th Heaven.
Flag
I agree with gilmore girls
Flag
"But he has a firm grasp on what viewers want from his network, which is "interesting characters in serialized form" and not standard procedurals."

Smartest thing anyone working in the industry has said all ever.
Flag
The reason BATB was renewed was because it has a big international following

Really? And The Tomorrow People and The Carrie Dairies don't?

The 100 is not doing a 22 episode season to keep it tight.

That is truly smart move. I definitely it will do better with a shorter season.

"interesting characters in serialized form" and not standard procedurals

That is another smart move. There are procedurals on so many networks already.

Flag
""
Really? And The Tomorrow People and The Carrie Dairies don't?
""

Not enough for the likes of Channel 4 in the UK to write bigger checks to CW in the US to cover the costs of producing the show and low advertising income.
Flag
Whose Line is an interesting situation, it draws attention but leads into nothing that can cross over with its audience. We flipped whatever new sitcom they had off within a minute last week. This is why The CW can't have more nice things. It's nice to see a pickup, but why wouldn't it? It costs almost nothing to produce. Now find another show that it can lead into and build a block of programming!
Flag
The best news in year-Thank God ( and of course Mark Pedowitz) for even possibility Hart of Dixie that Season 4 won't necessarily be the end for Bluebell !!!!!!!!!!! Hope the fans will do something about it and that we have a chance for enjoying a Bluebell for many years to come!
Flag
Glad the 100 writers and producers won their argument for keeping the episode number, CW is original said to have wanted 22 episodes.
Flag
Hopefully they're not making the BSG mistake, which went from 13 to 22 episodes after season 1 and got flabby in the story telling. Also as The 100 is based on a book triology, fingers crossed it's three good seasons and done.
Flag
Also remember Ron Moor admitted to making up BSG storyline as he went along, there was no plan at the beginning of the show, which explaines why it ended up such a mess by the end, fail to plan is planning fail and did BSG fail in so many areas.
Flag
Thank god The 100 is going solid, It got me hook line and sinker I love it. I'd love a few crossover episodes between TVD and TO I'd like it if maybe Caroline went to New Orleans.
Flag
An not just in the US either, it doing solid business in the UK, where it open the E4 biggest audience ever for a new show.
Flag
Glad to hear 100 is doing well, it's a great show, as is the Arrow, and Supernatural. I'd like to see a spin off where the lead character is a female hunter with a little sister and brother, who hunt with her. Maybe she could somehow release Adam from Hell and he could join them too.
Flag
Where are there fans of Beauty and the Beast? In mental hospitals?
Flag
It's just 6 fans total, but they have a lot of Nielsen boxes.
Flag
Yeah, they used to be Secret Circle fans. Speaking of which, anyone know if The Secret Circle did better than Beauty and the Beast in the same ways Pedowitz claims?
Flag
"We do not know whether or not she'll become a TV character again. If she is, and we can get the rights, we will do it."

They're not gettin' the rights. WB is very protective of the Big Three in regards to television. That's why we get shows based around Huntress and Commissioner Gordon instead of Batman. CW could ask for it, but in response they'd get a Steve Trevor series where WW only appears in silhouette once per season.

Oh, whoops -- I forgot WB almost let NBC make that terrible Wonder Woman series. Well, never mind.
Flag
Plus, WB co-owns The CW, it'd be in their best interest to do that. But they don't want to confuse audiences, they think audiences can't tell the difference between a movie and tv. That's why we got Smallville, because it was original a Batman origin story until they started developing Batman Begins, so they just changed gears to Superboyman.
Flag
Disney owns both ABC and Marvel, so they made a TV show to "encourage" fans to go to see the movies the weekend they come out.
Flag
Supernatural could've gone with a spinoff around the excellent Mark Sheppard's Crowley but has shown of late, for me, just how much he was needed to keep the original alive. Why people give the suits credit for wanting franchises, as if it's a hand-out to viewers, cracks me up though.
Flag
Wonder woman is better for Arrow than Flash.
Flag
I could see a series working, but it's tricky, and Arrow is already taking the path that would work best for Wonder Woman (intercutting between present-day America and a past on a mysterious island.)

Plus, how does she maintain her secret identity? They'd really need to go with the approach the first X-Men movie did... "What'd you expect? Brightly colored spandex?"
Flag
Good to hear about 100 and continuing of supernatural. Only wish that tomorrow people and starcrossed were also 😢
Flag
It's funny that the use the rating as reason to cancel Tomorrow People, , Carrie and Star Crossed when they renewed the show with almost the lowest ratings of the network!
Network presidents should be more creative when answering to questions!
Flag
Beauty and the Beast's season 2 finale ratings were abysmal, 0.3 in the key demo with a total of 0.76 million viewers.

The Tomorrow People's ratings were 0.4 key demo with 1.01 mil total viewers.

Star Crossed and The Carrie Diaries had similar ratings to B&TB's. So this is almost certainly A) about the cost of production, the show with the least actors wins; and B) proof that Kristin Kreuk has ample blackmail photos of the entire CW executive staff.
Flag
According to the article, it was because BATB had big international following. What BS.

I am sure TCD and TTP had just as big international following.
Flag
If they didn't have them in their first seasons, they probably would have built them by their second. But the foreign market shouldn't dictate what airs here.
Flag
Foreign sales will probably save more marginal shows in the future.
Flag
So happy that BatB lived! They seem to have enoug plot to warrant another season at least. I am also glad The 100 survived.
Flag
Would be kind of hilarious to see the network pick up a Wonder Woman show. Just change the name of the network from the CW to the JLA and be done with it.
Flag
Very glad that the 100 was picked up, it's the first show I've really liked on the CW since Smallville.
Flag
The 100 over the other three that were cancelled was a no-brainer. The 100 was good, the others...not so much. I love Hart of Dixie, but if it goes, it goes. It wouldn't be like losing Bunheads or anything. Oh, and I knew not to watch The Carrie Diaries--didn't think it would make it. As for Supernatural, it's Sam and Dean who make this work so well--figure it out!
Flag
I hope CW does not over-saturate itself with superhero shows. I love superheroes but if they start flopping, then we won't see superheroes in TV for quite a while.

No one beats Sam and Dean. If they can create interesting and charismatic main characters like them, then they make a Supernatural spin-off. Having a story that ties into the original also helps.

He didn't say anything about Reign. I know it was promised a 2nd season but I hope it sticks around for long.
Flag
Agreed on the first part, Im pretty satisfied with Arrow and the upcoming Flash show
Flag
Men of Letters seems like a promising spin-off for Supernatural. The mythology is established, but there's still lots of story lines to explore. The set is even built!

Supernatural could continue for another 10 seasons if the actors are happy to stay. The fan base is dedicated and viewership is growing because of Netflix and syndication.

The Vampire Diaries won't last much longer and Supernatural is the top rated show. The CW will keep it going as long as they can. But I hope Arrow and The 100 get higher ratings. I think all the shows would have higher ratings if the affiliate channels stopped preempting shows with sports games :/
Flag
  • The Men of Letters Idea for a Spin-off of Supernatural is a good idea, along with many others. They(the writers) have many ideas in mind & that sound great & that further delve into characters & other things that have been presented throughout the series. With that, & all the great visions they have, & stories that could be told, I think it would be best for them to do a spin-off that works like "American Horror Story," with *each season telling a different story! Example, one season could be (on) "The Men of Letters", & another season on….. Then they wouldn't be limited to having to choose & commit to "one" idea, & be able to tell all those many stories they have thought up(& as I have read about)!!
Flag
Men of Letters is one of the many ideas in the show they could build from. But apparently Mark Pedowitz told the producers and writers they they couldn't use any of the characters already introduce into the main show. It a shame no one ask him whether that requirement have now been dropped.

Flag
Given my above comment/reply, that would really suck if Mark Pedowitz really wont allow them to use any characters introduced into the main show. That could severally limit the writers. But I wonder if he means they cant use any "main" type characters (say Crowley, Castiel, Etc...), or if even characters as Henry Winchester are off limits? If so that would be really lame of him!
Flag
I think most all fans love the idea of a Supernatural spinoff, but Tribes (or Bloodlines, if you prefer) was just an absolutely horrible direction to go. in 9 seasons they've had countless characters and opportunities come along that would have been great to go with, but they skipped over every single one of them! To be fair though, most all of those characters got killed off along the way, often horribly.
Flag
Mark Pedowitz forbid them to use any characters that have been previously introduce into the show.
Flag
Do you know the reason? That's too bad because the show had so much great characters during its run. I'm still mad they killed off Adam. He would have been a fresh and interesting addition to the brothers.
Flag
No I don't know the reasons. From the episode that aired it seem the reason was so that he could turn it into vampire diaries clone but that just me being cynical.
Flag
Lol. No I agree. The Bloodlines episode that aired was horrible! & exactly what I would expect the CW to spit out! Even when given a great show like Supernatural, with so many great directions they could go in, they instead took away everything that's great & different about supernatural & packaged it into yet another "teen" targeted, unoriginal show, that is basically the same as all there other shows.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Benny too! He had some awesome lines with Cas!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members