A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2016)

The 100 S01E03: "Earth Kills"

Last week I lamented The 100's hesitation to make the bold move to kill off the light-hearted comedic relief character Jasper, who was speared through the chest in the final scene of the pilot. While I still think that was a mistake, the series at least tried to placate my desire for dead teenagers by at least appearing to kill two main characters this week (and probably two random teens who were introduced with the sole purpose of being killed). Both Atom and Wells bit it tonight, and both of their deaths had greater meaning to the overall narrative than the series just needing to show what a brutal environment the Hundred have found themselves in.

Atom's death did not come, as I'd suspected it might, from being strung up by his wrists overnight with a Grounder lurking nearby, but rather at the hands of an acid fog, which mostly only served to remind me of Catching Fire and why I prefer to stay indoors at all times. In a surprise move, Atom actually survived the acid fog that bore down on the camp and the forest this week, but he was so badly burned that he begged Bellamy to end his suffering. In a twist that everyone saw coming, Bellamy couldn't stomach the idea of taking his friend's life in a mercy killing. This blatantly countered what he'd told Clarke earlier in the episode, which was that she didn't have the guts to make the hard choices a leader must make, but implied that he did. Of course, he had no problem with the idea of killing Jasper, but then again, Jasper wasn't his friend.

When it came down to it, Clarke proved to be the leader who made the tough call and ultimately put Atom out of his misery. This turn of events wasn't surprising, as Bellamy was bound to learn that he lacks certain leadership skills, just as Clarke will probably also discover she lacks certain skills that Bellamy possesses. But after two episodes of Bellamy waving his weapons around in order to prove he's not to be feared, it was nice to see that he's not completely heartless.

Unfortunately, Bellamy's heart is what ultimately brought Wells to his gurgling knees. Charlotte, the young girl who experienced nightmares in which she watched her parents die at the hands of the Chancellor, finally took Bellamy's advice to slay her demons. And apparently that meant throat-slashing Wells because she saw his father whenever she looked at him. Guys, Charlotte needs lots of therapy, and also possibly a chaperone. How old is she? Whatever, that's not the point. This is the first sign that the Hundred are really turning on one another, because even though Shoulder Pad (aka Minion # 2, though he's probably been promoted to Minion #1 now that Atom is dead) attempted to kill a wounded Jasper simply because he kept moaning and was keeping everyone awake, he was not successful in his attempt. If he had been, it wouldn't have been a mercy killing. I still don't buy that Jasper survived the spear to the chest, even if the Grounders cauterized the wound and treated it with seaweed, but killing him at this point would have been a mistake.

When characters die on television, their passing usually means something. Often times, it's not even the actual death that matters, but rather how the rest of the characters react to the death and how they grieve in its aftermath. It's not to say that the person who died wasn't important or deserved to die, it's just that a lot of interesting stories are born from death. Wells' passing serves as a reminder that this world is unforgiving, and that our actions do and will affect others. Wells did nothing to Charlotte, but his father did, and she projected her hate of the Chancellor on to his son, which ultimately led to Wells' death. It'll be interesting to see how Clarke reacts to this development. As for Atom's passing, it didn't have the shock value that Wells' had, but it served the plot in that it showed Bellamy's tough-guy facade was just that: a facade. He didn't have the ability to put his friend out of his misery, and He wasn't able to do what was being asked of him. Clarke 1. Bellamy 0.

We learned through flashbacks (with the worst effing lens flares since J.J. Abrams, seriously those were retina-burning lens flares, man) that Wells wasn't the person who betrayed Clarke's father after all, it was Abby, her mother. This particular development wasn't all that exciting or surprising given how shady Wells had been in the past whenever the topic came up, but it's important to note Abby had the idea to send people down to Earth long before the Hundred were sent there. In fact, it was over a year from the time Clarke's father was floated to the time the Hundred were sent to the surface, if I understood that timeline correctly. Why wait so long? Why waste that kind of time? There are a lot of questions that arise from this new piece of information. But more importantly, now that Clarke and Wells have made up, what's his death going to do to Clarke? 

"Earth Kills" finally paid up by offing a couple of characters this week, and maybe I have no heart, but I really enjoyed it. The series purported to be a series where no one was safe, but the first two episodes didn't really hold up their end of that bargain. If we're supposed to be believe that this world is savage, that there's something like acid fog right around every corner, and that the people we should be able to trust aren't trustworthy, then I think the episode succeeded. I wish we'd gotten a chance to explore the present situation on the Ark this week rather than revisit the past through flashbacks, but I'm willing to overlook that because the flashbacks helped to explain the tension-filled relationship of Clarke and Wells.

VITAL STATS

Current Population of The Hundred (not including Bellamy): 94

– We're supposed to assume Trina and Pascal (the two randoms hooking up and lost in the forest) are dead, yes? I'll be really mad if they pop up later. 

– Where can I find one of those bottles of never-ending whiskey? Seriously. Like, five people drank out of that bottle and it never ran dry. How there was any left after Finn and Clarke started drinking it is beyond me. 

– "So we havin' fun yet?" This line is just begging me to Photoshop an image featuring Adam Scott's character from Party Down popping up out of a log, right? I know the quote isn't word-for-word, but I'll probably never be able to hear any variation of that questions for the rest of my life without thinking of that show.

– "If you were my friend, you would walk out into that fog and never come back." Drunk logic.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

208 Comments
Comments (208)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Good show concept but Dude it's clearly racist towards blacks. Half way into the show and they kill Wells (a major black character in the show) for no reason. Then later in the show a White guy pisses on black guy and then kills him too. Someone fire these racist writters please. Sounds like media saying it's okay to randomly disrespect and kill black people. Wonder why police and neighorhood watches kill blacks and get away with it? It's because Media degrades blacks and brain watches America to do so too.
Flag
this show really sucks without Wells honestly n yes this is racism, people say oh its not racist becuz he didnt die in the book... well lets do statistics for (A) who would like to read the book?1000 people.. ok.. for (B) who would like to watch a tv series?100,000.. exactly my point proven so yall can defend ur opinion but we all know the truth. wow this show could have been so much better.
Flag
The girl charlotte deserved to die, killing someone ruthlessly without a second thought should not have any sympathy
Flag
It's ignorant to think race had nothing to do with this death, especially considering Wells' character wasn't killed off in the book. He was the ONE black main character. The chancellor is a minor character. Any other black characters are minors or extras. It's pitiful that CW and other networks feel the need to meet a quota but figure they can go off and kill the only black main character as long as the quota was initially met. Stop being colorblind, people. It's not a virtue. Race and racism are real and if you can't see it in something as blatant as this, killing off the only main black character even though he doesn't die in the book, then I feel sorry for you.
Flag
man i literally just said the same when he died n what set me off is when the other black guy got pissed on out of the rest 99 other people n he dropped wow, im done with this show, n i think they killed him becuz he was the main character if you really watch with the relationship with clarke
Flag
I'm in agreement with you Aurorasparrow.

I liked Wells Character a lot, and thought his character mesh better with the show, and Clarke.
Always seeing an African American killed off early in a TV Series is getting very, very old and boring. I'm sorry! but it is now freaking boring! because you know it's going to happen.

I saw it coming a mile away, when that girl came over near Wells.
I knew base on Clarke killing that guy, she will think to do the same thing to Wells.

This is extremely, extremely, extremely, irritating

His character would have been a very strong influence on this Series!
He stood his ground against the odds. Took on all comers, stood up for Clarke, protected Clarke mother. Well hell! the world already is scarce with his type of characters, he played it well. The Actor that played Wells acted better than most! of the characters on that whole show! believe it or not! Those are the type of characters I wish to watch on the show! Not enough of those!
Why the hell! Will you kill off someone this early in the show that's helping us to watch the show, and learn the show. Another words, he makes the show very interesting to watch.

More +
Flag
token black son dead... now token black father dead...

I wonder what goes through the writers/producers' minds. This kind of thing has to be conscious. And they know we notice... so, then it's a message - a disrespect: "Ok, we'll write in minorities out of political correctness, but then we will kill them right away. What now?"

To the people saying Charlotte didn't kill Wells because of his race: lol, you can't really be that simple minded to not understand that we are talking about the _AUTHORS_ of the show choosing to have Wells killed.

Flag

Also I would like to add, that the only reason we actually get Black actors on shows nowadays is affirmative action, so know that, if you see ONE black dude in a show full of white people, that's why they are there, honestly as a black man I say fuck it, I hate when I see ONE black dude there ONLY because you HAD to put him there, otherwise, you had no intention of adding them. TV is still good and fun to watch, but man, its all about if you can "relate"
Flag
I will Agree race has nothing to do with it, but man, young wells was the only person I could relate to, I mean that was a perfect romance twist, but no, Jasper has to have two girls fighting over his balls, come on now. anyways, despite the death of the one guy I can relate to (and lets not forget the other black guy who is pissed on by shoulder pad) the show is pretty koo, I think Wells may come back tho plenty of people have survived slit throats, and being the chancellors son is too big a title to be killed off immediately, he's a cooking a something up.
Flag
Race didn't have anything to do with Wells being killed. There are other black characters on the show, she didn't do anything to them. The little girl went for the son, of a man, who caused her pain.

My cousin dated my best friend, when he broke up with, my very presence was a source of pain for her. We didn't hang out for a few months after that.

As human's we associate things or people with an event that hurts us. That's all the little girl did, was associate Wills to the person, (his father) that caused her pain.

And I agree with the other reviewer, this show has ball's! Race, gender...who cares keep bringing a show with ideas that are out of the box. So far it's the ony CW show I like.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
race? alot of persons car, gender? even more persons care. As i agree i do not believe the death of Wells was motivated by race, i believe that most persons (esp minorities) are reaching their breaking point with the CW and their one African American supporting lead per show.
Now concerning the fact that based on the original book Wells was a main character that was not "killed off" but here in only 3 Episodes he dies and then the only other supporting black actor almost dies (chancellor) you can only imagine the frustration that African Americans must be feeling of how they are represented. only one Major network has an african american lead an thats Abc's Scandal. So when all they can rely on are supporting characters and at one the most. When they finally get another Black Main Charater can you blame them?
Flag
Bit of an overreaction to the death no?

It was a decision made by the writers to actually give the show some balls. The Grounders taking him away would've made itas ppredictable as every other show out there. I'm tired of it. Exact reason Lost appealed to me.

Notice I got my thoughts in without mentioning race? It has nothing to do with race! Charlotte seen his father in him and made a decision she thought would end her own pain. She didn't think, Wells is black, I wanna kill him...

One of the main reasons tv is so dull and predictable these days. Writers take risks, audiences don't agree, show is cancelled. You didn't partake in writing it, you have no say in who dies in it. Shut up and just enjoy it for what it is, a television show made to entertain.
Flag
Your argument is rubbish nfl and nba have loads of black people because they're better; the same way how tennis has more white people or how table tennis have more asian people. Sport is usually about whoever is better will be participating.
If your were making a comparison for it to be remotely similar is if the one white person in each NBA team to be dropped after only playing three games at the start of the season for every team no matter how good that guy is. Or in athletics 100M were a white guy gets to the final and is always disqualified for some reason or another. Then yeah you can turn around and talk tripe about it happens in sport and your cool with it.

When your watching this thing and a White guy is Harpooned through the chest and he survives when all they have is seaweed, NO STITCHES TO CLOSE THE WOUND, THEY NOTHING TO STOP THE BLEEDING AND NO BLOOD TO REPLENISH HIS BLOOD COUNT. But the black guy dies when he doesn't even die in the book... F off!
One Black main character one asian main Character but you sure are colourblind if you can't notice the BS.
More +
Flag
Idk man, As I agree race had nada to DO with it, Wells didn't die in the book, but is dead n the show? they couldn't kill off Jasper?? one has to wonder.
Flag
Had no ides there was a book but thanks for the info. Always nice to see differences however. Works for the walking dead I suppose.
Flag
Flag
It must be nice to be able to ignore the race. I'm pretty sure if Hollywood had spent the last 100 years producing shows with all-black casts, and then after half a century started including one white supporting character per show -- and then almost every time the show had two white supporting characters one of them would be killed off.... I'm pretty sure THEN you'd understand what all the fuss is about.
Flag
I wouldn't care in the slightest if that happened. I watch a tonne of nba and nfl and see the majority of teams have black players. I'm a Panthers fan to further extend my point. I take no notice of skin colour but rather the results.

You guys are exactly what's wrong with the viewing public these days. Too quick to judge on pathetic issues such as how many white/black characters there are in a show. Society isn't 50/50 in real life so why should EVERY show be?

Get over yourselves!
Flag
you would care, how do I know? because if the roles were reversed like Darrinbell said, I'd be sitting at my computer typing exactly what youre typing, "I wouldn't care" not actually understanding the other side. or how it feels to BE on the other side, I agree with you it wasn't race, but one still has to wonder.
Flag
That's what i mean though, when i'm sitting watching say an nba game. I don't sit and say to myself, man there are far too many black players in nba. I'm sitting enjoying the match.

The same goes for a show when i'm watching it. My all-time favourite show was/is LOST. Look at the cast diversity in that. One of a kind. Nobody had any qualms when Boone was the first character to die (a white guy) nobody batted an eyelid when Mr Eko hit the ground dead. It's a matter of opinion and it's clear it's not going to change in the viewing public for a long time to come.
Flag
What your doing is down playing what happen for one nobody is blaming the girl (fictional character) were blaming the writers
Flag
This reflects real-life in no way whatsoever! It's a television show. People die in shows, deal with it! Has nothing to do with race at all. It was a creative decision to cause shock to the viewer. It was a character we'd learned to care for. If we didn't care, it wouldn't have had the same effect. Such an overreaction!
Flag
What does the NFL or the NBA have to do with a TV show fool? How are you such an expert on race...because you're white, since when do white people know anything about being black and not being fully represented except in sports and music. Newsflash moron; sports were segregated until owners and managers realized they could profit off of black players because of their natural physical ability, which has nothing to do with acting and do you know that the people with the real power are the managers AND owners who are predominantly white. The NBA is getting better but the NFL is horrible. Oh and have you watched the last few episodes, the only other black guy dies and the chancellor will probably die in space. The writers couldn't bare to part with any of the white main characters though...this is the problem. Equal representation!
Flag
The issue was race 'fool'. It's called using other sources to prove a point. Something you should learn before entering a discussion and ripping on something that took place weeks ago.

I never once claimed to know anything about being black. Again read before you reply!

My original point stands, we as the 'viewer' have no say who dies in a show. These decisions are 'creative' decisions made by the writers to project an emotional reaction from the viewer. It in no way reflects real life apart from in your opinion. That's right 'opinion'. We all have one so deal with mine and stop being the moron you claim I've been.
Flag
I'm still throwing a hairy eyeball at Jasper surviving a spear to the chest with enough impact to knock him completely off his feet and treated only with radioactive seaweed...BUT...if this was the payoff for that, I can live with it.

"In fact, it was over a year from the time Clarke's father was floated to the time the Hundred were sent to the surface, if I understood that timeline correctly. Why wait so long? Why waste that kind of time?"

We can add that to the other MASSIVE plot hole in that how can it be "easier" to kill a few hundred people than it would be to send them down to earth and, at worst, take their chances? Sure, they sent down 100 kids, with ZERO means of 2 way communication. Even if a bunch of their bracelets went offline for reasons nobody knows for sure, given the stakes, you're telling me they couldn't find a single volunteer who'd take a milk run down to earth to you know, take a look around and double check?

"With the worst effing lens flares since J.J. Abrams, seriously those were retina-burning lens flares"

Whoever was in charge of that needs to be fired! I seriously thought there was a problem with my television since the idea that those were done intentionally never crossed my mind.

Question: If there was a car all but buried, would that imply that there is/was some sort of road or trail around there somewhere? And by extension, some form of civilization that isn't "too" far away?
More+
Flag
Wells was too good for this world.
Flag
So The 100 has their own Lizzie, Just look at the flowers. :)
Flag
I confess that I didn't think about about Catching Fire during the fog (and I JUST re-read the book for the fourth time). Instead, I was thinking about the references to Lost. The guy wounded, in pain, making people feel uncomfortable, the talk about putting him out of his misery (the marshall from season 1); the kombi found in the woods, with alcohol (Hurley in season 2 or 3), the noises before the smoke (fog) that comes and kills people (okay, it was black in Lost, but..).
Besides that, I really liked this episode. When Atom was begging to die and the little girl came, I thought that she was the one who was going to kill him. I think this show is finally going on the right direction, especially now that they killed the guy that was in love with Clarke. Now they can forget (at least for a while, because, it is The CW) the whole love stories and focus on the caos and survive of The 100.
Flag
There's definitely a LOST feel to some scenes in this series whether it's intentional or not. The scene where Clarke kills Atom also reminded me of the episode Tabula Rasa where Jack had to finish the Marshall off after Sawyer botched the mercy killing.
I never saw Catching Fire so when I saw the approaching fog it actually reminded me of the monster sandstorms in Dune.
Flag
I don't care how you feel about this comment but to kill the black dude really really it was like 90 other people she could have killed including one illegitimate black dude she could have worked her way up to Wells. All i can say is really. Fyi my last episode of this I'm watching
Flag
Wells was my favorite male character. I'll miss him, but sh!t happens. Whenever a person of color died in The Walking Dead, people would complain that the writers were racists. Even though 10 times as many white people died. So the translation i get, is a show can only kill white characters. That sounds like bigotry to me. Though i will admit, that there are far too few, minority characters on sci-fi/ horror/ fantasy shows overall. Not just black characters, but a lack of Native Americans, Latinos, Asians, Indians, middle eastern people as well. But that doesn't mean that anyone should be untouchable, in a post apocalyptic story.
Flag
Ten times as many white people died, but that's because in the first couple seasons, there were about 30 times as many white people. The reason people thought the writers weren't conscious enough of race (not that they were racist) was the show was set in and around Atlanta to start with, and Atlanta has far more black people than were represented either by the living or the zombies. But the Walking Dead writers have done a great job in that regard the past couple seasons.
Flag
its all about ratio! every show only has a limited amount of black persons as main characters so if you have 2 blacks and one dies it will be obvious, as opposed to having 7 whites and 2 die its not that traumatizing.
Flag
I agree shit happens but i don't know if you heard or not but if the same shit keeps happening then its not a coincidence, and that's why they're main characters to be untouchable
Flag
And out of the 90 other people, how many of them were also the son of the man who killed her parents?
Flag
That was the writers' choice, to make the only black regular character on earth the son of the man who killed her father. It's the writers' choices people are complaining about.
Flag
This show it's a silly joke.
The managers behind this scam need all to be fired.
It's a shame that WarnerBros/TheCW CEO and board members want to cancel other good and very good shows to keep producing this crap.

Flag
This show was pretty good. But then you killed the two characters that ment the most to me. Like seriously? Wells? Why would you kill the only black character that had a great background story that could have gone to something? By a stupid little girl even! This show is to brutal for me to watch it anymore! I will tell everyone I know that this show is NOT something they show watch.
Flag
I do not care if wells is black. My issue is that they killed off a character that had a good storyline and could gave been developed more.
Flag
You should care that he was black, because it was precisely because of his skin color that the writers had no problems throwing a decent character with a strong storyline like yesterday's trash, when keeping him on the show would've been better for the series in the long run.
Flag
The best thing about this show is that it's being released on Netflix on the day that the new ep comes out!

Also, I was very pleased with the ending. I hated Wells and his lovesick puppy thing. By the end, the survivors on this show need to be savages.
Flag
This episode pissed me the fuck off. the only black character on the ground was killed. I knew somehting was fishy when all the posters of the 100 snd Wells was nowhere to be found.

I hope the gorunders take him and heal him and he comes back in a later episode, but he is black and that wont happen.

The Cw is really racist. I mean most people on the Ark hate Well's dad so he will get killed by the end of the season too. The 100 is all ready white washed and they kill the only black kid was just so pointless. They could have made their point with any other random extra or Jasper.

Cw is just racist and i swear i am not even that excited to watch the show anymore.

They were just against Wells from the start of the show. Everyone hated him and now they kill him. If i was that actor i would have made a case to continue on the show.
Flag
On the plus side, Wells being the only brother on the ground means that there must not be many black folks in prison...err, right? Isaiah Washington is the HNIC and according to the credits, there's at least 2 more on earth.

As ridiculous as the CW can be with it's lack of diversity, at least killing Wells had a substantive reason behind it that had nothing to do with race.

Their other new offering on the other hand, Star Crossed, I find beyond offensive given their liberal borrowing and interpretations of the Little Rock 9
Flag
yea it does mean not a lot black pepople in jail because when they do something they prorbaly got floated
Flag
Good point. Oh well, at least there's more Black folks in this future than there was in Star Wars ;)
Flag
Welp....there goes the only character I identified with (and I mean in ways besides the pigmentation of his skin). I saw it coming a mile away, but I was hoping I was wrong. And the way he died too, so brutal. I just hope the others DO find out about this, and I hope it comes back to bite pretty boy leader. I'm ashamed to say after this episode, I was hoping the little girl would be executed. This might be the first time a show actually made me want a child character to die (and I don't mean in the typical "this character is annoying, just get eaten or something" kind of die, like in the Walking Dead). When the episode ended, I was hoping that in the next one, that the girl's punishment would fit the crime. That sucks. So, The 100, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.
Flag
Would it have been better if the girl little crazy girl was black and Wells was white? Or how about if it was brown on yellow? Red on green? Why not effing purple on pink? And yes Im just naming colours, because thats what it is, just colours. Though black is technically the abscense of colour (smileyface to convey its a joke)
Now if the writers actually thought "we need a black character we can kill" then yes that would be effed up, but I guess Im just an optimist assuming thats not the case.
And I actually thought the Blake siblings were hispanic, but apparently according to a lazy google search Bob Morley is filipino/ausralian and Marie Avgeropoluos is "plain vanilla". Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, it's really important to get everyones race down right(segment also written facetiously
, in case of readers overeagerly jumping to silly conclusions).
Let us all just enjoy the show, or not, without seeing everyone just skindeep.
Also, was Clarke made chestier this episode or did i just not pay attention before?
Flag
It's very easy to be color blind when almost everyone on tv looks like you.
Flag
"Would it have been better if the girl little crazy girl was black and Wells was white?"

No, what would've been better is if the show had done what so many had suggested--somehow left Wells alive by having the Grounders take him. Ranting that no one should've complained about him getting killed off because the alternative would've been so much worse (having a black girl kill a white guy) shows how desperate you apologists are to deny what happened.
Flag
Could the writers not have killed him off? Sure, wouldnt have been too hard to change. But I'm saying there was a reason why she killed him and he didnt just happen to arbitrarily die because he's the token black guy.
Flag
Shut yo a$& up
Flag
Ouch
Flag
Pretty sure that Wells's death was 100% Bellamy's fault. Obviously the guy has some issues with his judgement. Who hands a knife to a traumatized little girl and tells her to "slay" her demons?!
Also his lines are ridiculous. I chuckle every time I think about "Whatever the hell we want". "Screw you, I'm not afraid" just adds to the list of super lame things Bellamy says.
Flag
This was by far the best episode. Funny enough i caught myself thinking: "How f.ed up would it be if the little girl just went and killed the black dude like blondee did with that other kid". Then I said to myself: "dude what the hell is wrong with you. she is just a little kid."
And as i was saying that and being ashamed for my random thoughts of violence the girl pulls out a knife and stabs him in the neck.
Awesome WTF moment!!!
Flag
I am done watching the show them killing Wells did it for me, and I will not promote and tell others to watch it. I mean you let him die but someone get hits with a spear and live. I wanted to see more of Wells and I wanted to know where they story went, but I guess I will not know now. I will no longer watch this show and I will remove it form my hulu list!
Flag
I hesitate in writing this because of the reaction but I look froward to the day when we aren't arguing over how many black/white people/role models or gays aren't being represented. We are all equal or at least should be in everyone's eyes. Yes I was shocked when Wells was killed & yes I hope Charlotte is caught & punished as she should be & not given any leniency because she is a young white girl. Everyone who commits a crime regardless of race should be punished.

Flag
Acid fog? Is someone a hunger games fan?
Flag
Yes because the hunger games nvented the idea of acid fog. It has never been done before, in a book, Tv show or a movie!
Flag
Come on, it's obvious the show is evoking Hunger Games. The pitch was probably "It's Hunger Games meets Lord of the Flies, meets Lost."
Flag
lol! you're right. it was just a comment my daughter made & I happened to agree even though I know it's been done before.
Flag
I wonder when the group finds out that Charlotte is the killer will they kill her? I would find it disgusting if they did, but at least it would be consistent. It will be interesting to find out how brave the writers really are.
Flag
Brave having the killer be Charlotte, maybe it is Walking Dead's Lizzie in disguise, lol. Wells is redeemed then dies immediately! The floating of people in the space station is so casually evil. At least it would be fairly quick. The acid fog seems controlled. I think some people are underground or something.
Flag
Acid Fog or Are The Grounders US Chemical Weapons against the Space Living HUMANS??? It looked a lot like Mustard Gas Mixed Chlorine Gas-- Burning the skin and attacking the mucus membranes in the victims... I'm sure it is acid fog-- but I like the idea of the humans left on the ground gassing the off world humans!

This episode managed to be both silly and pointless at the same time. It was magnificent in its ability to create totally nonsensical reasons to kill off Clarke Father-- are the reasons in the book this nonsensical too?

Flag
I mean someone has to ask the question: Is Wells really dead? Sure at one point I guess he was, but is he still? I mean if that other dude survived getting a spear drilled thru his body, and he surely looked dead eyeballing the big stick pointing out of his solar plexus. Does anyone know for sure? Anyone know if that guy who played that Wells kid only had a contract for three episodes? And what we briefly saw in the promo for next episode was that the grounders had taken the body!! I am asking my self this because that would still be some kind of cool new world superglue dead pass, instead for this really strange early main character assassination!

Flag
That's a great question! Wells might not be dead. Who knows though. I will say I was surprised by his death, and if he isn't dead I look forward to seeing how he returns. And everyone keeps forgetting Adam died too. I wasn't expecting his death either.
Flag
They kill off the only major young black character on the show, f**k them. I know that white characters die also, but almost every person that speaks on the show is white, so it is not the same. I'm finished with this "Hunger Games" wannabe.
Flag
The guy's father is still alive. At least Wells was an interesting useful character unlike most of the others.
Flag
Wow! there is one more black character on the show, so that is more than enough. His father is not on the earth by the way. I had a feeling that one of them would be killed off anyway, because we all know that two is way too many of those kind of people.
Flag
I'm not disagreeing with you, out of 100 I'm sure more characters are non-white we just have not seem them. I'm more concerned about inbteresting characters than a quoto of races and most characters are dul or irritating except for Octavia, Jasper and a few others.
Flag
It is not about a "quota". It is about even if this show is set in a fictional future it is written by writers that live in our present day that have the same racial issues that we all do in this society, unless you really believe that there are none.

In most of these shows there are very few non-white characters that get any development at all the others are just window dressing, as you say "not seen"

Maybe your group is well represented, so you don't worry if some of them are killed off. Lucky you :-)
Flag
calm yourself
Flag
Why calm myself? It was not just that he was killed, but he was slaughtered like an animal, it was disgusting. How about his killer, will she be killed or will she be allowed to skate, because she is a little blond girl? In the real world if your victim is black you are much more likely to get away with killing them, why should it be any different in fiction.
Flag
Oh come on! Why does race always have to come into play. She didn't kill Wells because he is black and he wasn't slaughtered! Adam's death was more of a slaughter than Wells.

What is sad, if the little girl had been black, it wouldn't have even been a big deal! Sad, but not a big deal.

Oh and dude accused of killing Wells, getting his butt kicked and hanged...now that's a slaughter!!
Flag
I'm so sorry. I keep forgetting that it's best not to feed the trolls. Not interested in arguing with you.
Flag
You're an idiot. You must have been looking in the mirror when wrote that one, Mr/Miss "I'm black". Yeah right.

You see how name calling ends a conversation, but does work when are not able to defend your position. Peace!
Flag
Flag
I'm black as well and I have to say this is an embarrassing overreaction ('he was slaughtered like an animal' Dear God). I brought this same black guy dying first trope up in a comment below but I really don't find it necessary to take it so intensely seriously. It's a CW show. I really doubt the writers chose to kill him off in that way because of the colour of his skin. So yeah, calm down.
Flag
Thank you man. I am so happy u posted this because i literally was pissed the fuck off from this epsisode. I legitimently thought about stop watching the show because of what happened.

Everybody hated Wells since the begining and now they just go and off him like that by some annoying little bitch that just came from nowhere, and she was white.

I knew he was probaly gonna die but i thought he would survive by the end of the season.

The Cw is so racist with its shows toward blacks and other races. Im surprised they cast a black lead for the supernatural spin off, but i guarantee he will be hated on the show because of what he is.
Flag
I'm really interested to know what you are embarrassed about? Are we related to each other, or is that you assume that I am black? If it is that you believe me to be black, somehow you have a need to be feel responsible for my actions? That is really crazy.
Flag
I don't know what, or care what the race it is that you are claiming to be a member of. You saying that you are black is silly, because it does not make your opinion any more or less valuable.

Why should I "calm down"? I did not insult anyone, I did not threaten anyone. i have just stated what my feelings are about this show.

There are so few positive images of people of color, especially young black men, in the media, so you have to take it "seriously". There have been many studies showing that those images are very important to people in the real world. Educate yourself.
Flag
Flag
How can they have all this technology and not send one radio to earth with the 100... I mean seriously your gonna put bracelets that track vitals but no radio.
Flag
The radio was destroyed by the people free-floating in the dropship when the parachutes were deployed.
Flag
Surprisingly loving the show, but the end of this episode was ridiculous! Why?? Of all the people that should have been killed of. I find it hard to understand. It just doesn't make any sence.
Flag
Just to add, I hope Charlotte dies in the most horrific way!!
Flag
This episode was all around captivating and I ain't saying that lightly. I liked the first two episodes, but they had a ton on problems. This one was legitimately good and the acting was great.
Flag
Very good show so far im enjoying it. I was really surprised that they killed wells though I have read the first book and he does not get killed in it. The second book has not come out yet. Although the little kid who killed him is not in the book if memory serves correctly. There are somepetty big differences but I expected that.
Flag
WoW!!!!! Just wow!!! Im Faaar from the "angry black guy" but it sits VERY uneasy with me that one of two of the ONLY black people on this revisited earth just got killed off. I know that a white guy died also but he wasnt one of freakin' TWO!!! Writers have to see this sh*t when they are writting. I refuse to believe that they are all this clueless. Wow. Im still over here shaking my head.
Flag
Maybe there are only 2 black kids on Earth because only the white kids are criminals ;)
Flag
Thank you so much for making this comment I was thinking the same thing!!
Flag
Staff
Unfortunately none of the other characters were the son of the Chancellor. His death had to really mean something. I understand the frustration though.
Flag
I had the same reaction.
Flag
That ending!! looks like we might have another "Lizzie" and glad Jasper is still alive.
Flag
So, if we hear any creepy humming we know what's coming next. I guess none of the writers read medical journals or even watches any cop shows;, because stabbing someone in the carotid artery leads to pints of blood pulsating out in seconds and not a mere trickle.
There's radiotacive/acid waves of rain passing about the lands like a whirlwind and the foliage and animal wildlife eating it survive? Further, the latter is edible to a populous of teens who've lived in a germ free environment since conception?
Some on here are complaining about a lack of 'people of colour', what about other than American/Canadians? I recall seeing alternate flags on the space station at the start but are we to assume all other nations were spaced? And what of the Grounders, are they to be the Native American Indians in this show?
Flag
OK. I'm done. This show sucks. Like all US sci fi, the one, unbendable rule seems to be 'kill the black guy.' They had a chance to be dark and edgy by killing Octavia in the river and leaving Jasper dead. But, no: 'kill the black guy.' This was my last episode of this garbage. Next!
Flag
Didint like 5 white people die before him? I dont remember for sure since I dont care so much about the skincolour of people...... Clearly u do, to much.....
Flag
5 oh wow its like 60 white people its was only 3 blacks on the whole show 1 if the three being insignificant you kill 1 of the two black people who have some kind of role. Get real with yourself
Flag
When most of the people on show are white it is a bit different when the only major black character on the planet is killed off.
Flag
Well, they did kill off both a white guy and a black guy in this episode but most of the 100 look white and Wells was the only character (on Earth) who was black (thus far). Maybe they'll introduce another character now that they've killed some off - we'll have to wait and see.
Flag
A white guy died as well.
Flag
Lmao
Flag
I don't know, I'm really surprised by how compelling this episode was. The acting was.....good! The writing was....good! Not just for a CW show either, just genuinely, empirically not bad. The show is actually enjoyable. I'm kind of freaked out really.
However-
1. Lol. Someone gets speared straight through the chest, survives, but true to the TV trope, Wells, the black guy is dead three episodes in (the actor had a hilariously singular facial expression though, he wasn't great) .That leaves two (more we haven't seen?) minority main characters now, and one of them has hardly been characterized. I don't actually particularly mind either way; it's just worth commenting on. And to be fair, a bunch of others have died before him, including the unfortunately named Atom.
2. The Lens flare. God the lens flare. It brough back some really scary Star Trek into Darkness on IMAX memories.
3. As much as I find his survival nonsensical, I like the Jasper character and I like the fact everyone seems to like him as well (except what'shisface). I particularly look forward to the development of his relationship with Octavia.

Flag
I hope they do find out that it was Charlotte who murdered Wells. From the promo it looks like they're suspecting everyone but her. Wells being killed off so early in the show took me by surprise because I thought he might be a main character so I was surprised he was killed off already. In hindsight I should have known it was coming since Clarke forgave him and realized it wasn't his fault that her dad had been floated. They were wrapping up his story this episode and I only realized it at the end of the episode.

Someone dying by that poison gas (or whatever it was) was a good writing choice. They can't just keep getting out of things alive - so I was glad they did kill off someone so that now hopefully these teenagers will be more aware of the danger around them.

I haven't read the book(s) and I know nothing about what happens in them. In fact I didn't even realize that this was another CW show based on a book when I started watching it.
Flag
did anyone notice the never ending bottle of whiskey hello where did that owner get that

Flag
when wells died I was sad because I liked him he would be better than finn and think charlotte should die but jasper keeps the show funny he is comic relief no more deaths except for charlotte and bellamy for that advice but nope all will die at the hands of the land
Flag
I really like that Wells died. From what I have heard, he was a main character in the book (books?) that inspired the show, and this move shows that no one is guaranteed safe. Then again, I've also heard Finn was a created character, so maybe his purpose was to take over Wells role once he died.
While I agree from a logical standpoint Jasper should've stayed dead, I'm glad he didn't as he is one of the few characters that I already like and want to see more of.
Flag
By your logic if they really wanted to show that no one was safe, the person they should have killed is Clarke. But if they did that, you would not find out what shirtless guy she will hook up with. My point is that that is not a deep show, so why do they need to insult part of their audience trying to be something that they are not.
Flag
I didn't say what they do or don't want to their show to be. I was just expressing why this particular move keeps me interested in the show. An d as you just said, its not a deep show, so the fact that people end up insulted by it is a bit extreme. Its a CW show everyone knew their would be some degree of teen angst.
Flag
About Jasper; well obviously he should stick around, Rodrick does rule.
Flag
Just 1 book and the show had covered pretty much everything in it by the end of the pilot. Hurray for total deviations, maybe this show'll do a TVD-about-turn as well.
Flag
Thanks for the clarification on the book issue. The way I have hard people talk, it was unclear. And yeah deviations can only help a show like this, especially when they only have 1 book to work with.
Flag
Clarke and Octavia are hot, that is keeping me watching. Most characters I don't care about at all. This is what happens when you send teams down. Why not send trained adults with an actual plan. Everyone will die anyway eventually if they don't repopulate the Earth.
Flag
Agreed, Clarke was quite tidy looking this episode! It is baffling that few seemed to have had any survival training perhaps the criminal element that comprises the crew just aren't the brightest cookies from the ark. Perhaps expectation of quick radiation death prevented risking any knowledgeable adult but Clarke's mom is into sacrificing family members for the greater good and Wells was in love so those two were the only well educated in the bunch.
Flag
Clarke is nice but I like Octavia more, she is more interesting. Clarke is more the angry good girl every guy falls for. I'm surprised at the stupidity of most of the teens though. If they worked together and split into groups (hunting, gathering, shelter etc) they could actually be safe.
Flag
I like this show, it has potential. HOWEVER - Jasper looked utterly dead when he got speared, it's like keeping him alive was something they decided after they filmed the pilot episode. And whoever was in charge of the lens flares in the flashbacks should actually be fired and not allowed near lighting devices ever again. I don't hate lens flares at all, but this was like someone standing next to your TV shining a flashlight in your eyes while you're trying to watch the show. Who does that?!
Flag
"but this was like someone standing next to your TV shining a flashlight in your eyes while you're trying to watch the show."

I said exactly the same thing. So obnoxious! They need to fire whoever was responsible for that.
Flag
Wow. After only 3 episodes, this show can only claim to be "loosely" based on the book. It's gonna be another Game of Thrones thing... some people complaining about spoilers, and others saying even though the book goes east, the show may go west, or north, or south, or straight down to hell.
Flag
GoT isn't just loosely based on the books. Mostly coz there's a ton of material they can pick & choose while the 100 has one book. Anyway, what I meant to say is 95% of GoT-the-show is from the book while 100-the show shares the title, character names and the nuclear apocalypse with its book.

Also, please don't compare GoT with a CW show. Even one channelling Lord of the Flies. Ever. Please.
Flag
You go ahead and try to tell me what not to do. Let's see how that works out. But if you've some intelligence, you'll realize I'm not comparing the shows. I'm comparing the reaction of fans to book/show spoilers as the two storyline diverge.
Flag
Defensive much? I didnt realize u were comparing the book-fans bcoz like I said, there was one book released (meaning what spoilers? everything they kept from the book was covered in the pilot). If you want to compare fan reactions, there are much better parallels out there.
TVD, for example, diverged from the source material, has book-fans who find these divergences annoying, has show-fans who think its an improvement, likes to bring up love triangles and is on the same level as this show (same audience, network, lack of layers, random villain of the week/month, redemption arc of said random villain, lack of logic, actors with the inability to emote etc).
The reason you picked GoT as a fan-reaction comparison (again: one book = what fan-reactions? *), I'm betting, is nothing but a really sad piece of name-dropping. Sad bcoz, noone here cares what you watch/read. You want to share ur opinion, great but share one that makes sense instead of one cobbled together with a couple of random references with no connection.
Btw, yes I'm making a ton of assumptions here about you but you have to understand, the gloves came off when you decided to insult me & my "intelligence" and over what? The defense of your "honour"? Your freedom to make an ass of urself? Really, what do you think I "attacked" in my extremely nicely worded (if I do say so myself) reply to you where I hinted that maybe the 100 and GoT are literally incomparable? You can't draw parallels between things that have absolutely no common factor. Again, I get it now that you were comparing the fan-reactions but really, why on earth would you think they were anything at all alike?
* PS. if you say the fan-reactions to the Wells-death then what character on GoT-show died and is still alive on GoT-book? Bcoz otherwise I really dont see any reason to use GoT-fans as the example instead of TVD-fans. Apart from the "I watch GoT and can't think of anything but that" angle.
More +
Flag
If you had some intelligence you would realize that "...please don't compare..." constitutes a request, not a command.
Nobody is trying to tell you what to do, you're just making an arse of yourself.
Flag
I really thought Wells was going to be a major character
Killing him off was a big surprise, I am really looking forward to where this show will go.
There is however a lack of POC in the show btw!
Flag
What is POC?
Flag
Haha! This is American TV! The rule is that if a POC male touches a white woman you best bet he'll be deaded quicker than a Star Trek red shirt
Flag
This is a CW show that didnt need an incompetent witch or a former-slave-turned-vampire. What'd u expect?
But in defence of the Wells-murder. The guy couldn't emote to save his life. Literally.
Flag
That's because when you put POC in a show as criminals, people get all uppity about it. I mean, srsly, make up your minds!
Flag
But at least a minimal representation wouldn't be amiss don't you think?
Flag
SMMFH
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members