A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

Every network seems to have a supernatural drama on its schedule these days, but it's been a hot minute since the world of television had a strong, hard science-fiction series with a sturdy premise right out of the gate. It's not an easy genre to break into, but The CW is definitely doing its damnedest with its new midseason drama The 100. It the show worth clearing your viewing schedule, or will some space in the corner of your DVR work just fine? Perhaps you should skip it all together? All good questions, and I'm here to answer them for you in this latest round of Yo, TV.com, What's the Deal With This Show?

Okay, so The 100... Is it "The One-Hundred" or "The Hundred"? 

Glad you asked, because it's definitely the latter, and if you mispronounce it, not only will series star Isaiah Washington publicly shame you in a room full of your peers (which totally happened at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour in January), but a leprechaun will appear out of nowhere, kick you in the shin, and then run off screaming. True story. 

Got it. So what's the show about? A hundred what?

The 100 is a science-fiction series based on the books by Kass Morgan about the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse that wiped out nearly the entire human population. There were 400 survivors lucky enough to be orbiting Earth on 12 separate international space stations at the time, and they've since banded together to form a super-sized space spation known as the Ark. They've been able to survive for 97 years by carefully controlling the population and implementing extremely strict laws, including capital punishment for even the smallest crime. But despite these rigorous efforts, the Ark—which is now home to 4,000 people—is running out of resources. So in an effort to save the human race, 100 juvenile delinquents are sent back to Earth on a mission to determine whether the planet is hospitable again; they are "the Hundred," a bunch of attractive teenagers who will serve as the canaries in a possibly radioactive coal mine. Meanwhile, back home in space, their parents and elders will get wrapped up in their own drama.

Who are these teens, and who's calling the shots?

The 100 was adapted for television by newcomer Jason Rothenberg and is executive-produced by Elizabeth Craft, Sarah Fain, and Leslie Morgenstein (all from The Vampire Diaries) along with Gina Girolamo (The Lying Game). Eliza Taylor (Neighbours) stars as Clarke Griffin, a natural leader among her fellow exiles and the daughter of Paige Turco's (Person of Interest) chief medical officer. She's joined in her mission to save the Ark by Thomas McDonell's (Suburgatoryrebellious Finn, Devon Bostick's (Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules) lighthearted Jasper, and Christopher Larkin's (Squad 85resourceful Monty. Rounding out the younger cast are Bob Morley and Marie Avgeropoulos (50/50) as siblings Bellamy and Octavia Blake, and Eli Goree as Wells, whose father is the Chancellor of the Ark. The aforementioned Isaiah Washington (Grey's Anatomy) plays the aforementioned Chancellor, and Lost's Henry Ian Cusick portrays his shady second-in-command Kane. And I'd be a terrible sci-fi fan if I didn't also mention that Battlestar Galactica's Alessandro Juliani appears too.

When does The 100 land on our TV screens?

The 100 is taking over the post-Arrow time slot previously held by The Tomorrow People on Wednesday, March 19 at 9pm on The CW. (Meanwhile, The Tomorrow People moves to Mondays at 9pm starting March 24, now that Beauty and the Beast is on hiatus for a bit.)

Who will like The 100?

This should probably go without saying, but this show is tailor-made for fans of science-fiction and post-apocalyptic adventuresBattlestar Galactica, The Hunger Games, and the like. Yes, it's on The CW, but it isn't the slap-a-pretty-face-on-it-and-call-it-a-go standard fare that many people see when they look at the network. 

What's to like about The 100?

A whole damn lot, actually. The series is surprisingly adult, not to mention brutal for being aimed at a younger demographic. It has a definite Lord of the Flies feel to it, and it isn't shy about the dangers the Hundred face on Earth. If The CW wants to move away from its typical, love-triangle-driven shows, The 100 is definitely a move in the right direction. It's a "harder" sci-fi show than its new network sibling Star-Crossed, and although the pilot hints at future romantic pairings, those potential relationships don't drive the story. 

What's more, the pilot spends a fair amount of time on the Ark itself, exploring a society that's dealing with the challenges of overpopulation while literally running out of oxygen and other necessary resources. It's clear that the adults in the series will play a larger role than they have in some of The CW's other fare, which is a good thing.

All right, so then what counts against The 100?

This is me just being picky because I enjoyed The 100's pilot, but the Hundred are sent down to Earth with no food or water, which forces them to fend for themselves immediately. Sure, the Chancellor can argue that he didn't want to waste such valuable resources on teenage convicts who might've died as soon as they stepped off their ship, but he and the rest of the Ark's population are banking on these young men and women to survive and report back on whether Earth is a viable place to live. Would it have been so hard to stuff a few brown bags with PBJ sandwiches and bottles of water just to give the Hundred a tiny energy boost? After all, it's not like snack boxes were available for purchase en route. And yeah, that's about my only complaint.

So, should I watch it?

Yes... 100 percent yes. 

Hey well if you're so excited about it, let's take a look at a trailer!

You got it: 

thekaitling:list:the-100-will-you-watch/

The 100 premieres Wednesday, March 19 at 9pm on The CW.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

117 Comments
Comments (126)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
They were supposed to land on Mt Weather which had plenty of food for them on it, but they landed off course
Flag
If I was on my twenties I would probably dislike it because I used to had a repulsion for teenage series. Fortunately I'm twice that age and I lost that kind of bias. I tried it just to see what happened and discovered there's a good plot behind the teenager carcass. I'm really enjoying the scifi side of the series.
Flag
I am 57 and have watched all 4 episodes twice now and I can't wait to see the next one. Cliche? No way! It is a refreshing new type of plot and the characters are so engaging. I love this show and hope they don't leave us with a cliff hanger then cancell after just one series which is the problem with falling in lovw with a TV series! The Hundered is great and realistic!
Flag
Haven't seen it yet, but I fear a Terra Nova repeat: awesome pilot, rubbish family/teen driven episodes after that. And no, I am not a "all teen shows suck" grumpy old fan, even if I have been around since the X-Files ruled the Internet. Having just binged rewatched Veronica Mars, I know it is still possible make intelligent shows with bearable actors under 20 post Buffy.

But such shows are rare. So forgive me for my scepticism.
Flag
If you a teenager and like cliches maybe you'll fancy it... on my early 30's this is sound pass...
Flag
every time I saw the preview, it got weaker and weaker this is a big pass for me!! I gave Star-Crossed a shot and its actually very good, !!
Flag
Don't watch unless you like shows that are one cliché followed by another, with the same old same old stereotypical teenagers and leaders.

That was a waste of 45 minutes I can't get back.

Flag
You probably should stop giving advice. A bit stereotype ok, but the show is well put together with a good storyline.
Casting is decent as well as scenery and fx.

But you must be a busy man ^^
Flag
I made that comment after episode 1. I wasn't the only one who said similar things.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
it's the 99 now :-)

Only saw one episode, but I like it. I just hope they didn't cut down on budget after the pilot and keep coming with the changes the planet underwent after the nuclear fall out.
Flag
Nope, Battlestar Galactica and Hunger Games does NOT belong in the same sentence.
Flag
I watched the pilot.
If you enjoyed Terra Nova, you'll love this!
It has the same shallow, predictable characters and the same stupid plot-holes and unlikely events. And why do you have firearms on space-stations?

Flag
They don't all have phasers or lightsabres ^^
Flag
Does anyone know why the show did not air in the Buffalo, NY area?
Flag
should have been 2 hours long, way to many commerciasl, reminds me of a updated version of Lords of the flies, could develop some redeeming qualities and a niche as a keeper
Flag
I was enjoying both The Tomorrow People and Arrow both together on Wed then they had to move it. I will give this a try and it better be at least on par with TTP.
Flag
Excellent sci-fi concept, even though it's the CW. But yes, I'll be 100% watching this.
Flag
Hmmm...nuclear apocalypse and things have cleared up in less than a century, huh? Assuming I can either overlook or have some sort of quasi scientific explanation put on that...I'll give it a shot.

If this is indeed as good as advertised, I'm going to have to seriously re-evaluate my perceptions of TV networks. TVD, Originals and Arrow all being way better than they should be plus some pretty entertaining fluff on The CW. The fantastic Banshee along with the upcoming Hunted and Knick mini-series on recently discovered Cinemax...what the hell is going on here?!?!?

Do I need to accept that The CW isn't a tween network and that Skinimax is a now undeserved moniker?
Flag
Radiation is a funny thing. Three months after Hiroshima, readings taken at ground zero, showed no more radiation than any other major city. People were and are living there, and growing food that was not and is not contaminated. I know we all grew up hearing 20,000 years or some such, but that is not the case.

On the other hand, results were very different for an island, that the USA did repeated H-Bomb tests on. Scientists thought it was safe, to allow the indigenous population, to return after a decade. Radiation had seeped into the soil, and plant life. They had to be re-evaculated. Readings showed high levels of radiation, in any food grown. Other studies, showed mutations in some animals. For example, a shark had damaged genes causing it, and it's descendants, not to have any dorsal fin.
Flag
Kinda feeling like an idiot now, thanks a lot...LOL

I was thinking more Chernobyl and less Hiroshima/Nagasaki. But with that in mind, I can clear what would certainly have been a nagging bias from a show that has potential...but only because Kaitlin gave it two thumbs up :)
Flag
It's going to be hard for me to care about people who are such bad parents that all of their children are criminals. And after 97 years, they have no advanced technology? I'll pass.
Flag
I actually read some of the reviews on the show and a lot of the kids that are "criminals" did things pretty minor that could be attributed to them being kids.
Flag
Yeah, they send everyone to prison if they disobey the strict laws (or know too much) and they are killed when they are 18, I believe. Don't know for sure, but this is what I've heard. They had to control the population, this is their solution.
Flag
Yeah in the book it's mentioned that minor crimes were being treated like something major (and it was causing some discord on the Arc). It's eventually revealed that they wanted the jail's filled so they had an excuse to use teens.

(Some of the adults don't want to return to Earth and expect the teens will be killed. Thus 'proving' the Earth is inhospitable. They have their own reasons for not wanting to return but I don't wanna spoil too much.)
Flag
This is about the most glowing review I've ever read for a CW show. I had not intention of watching, but I'll check it out.
Flag
Even @TimSpot said it looked good (or words almost as positive as that) which, for a show on The CW, is a glowing report from Mr. Surette!
Flag
I was surprised to see the name Isaiah Washington as one of the cast. I had liked him on Grey's so it was unfortunate that he had some issues that hurt his career. He deserves a second chance.

Flag
Planned to watch anyway but hearing that it is 'hard' sci-fi makes it an even higher priority. I hope that it is written for adults rather than the fluff like Terra Nova and to some extent 'V', Revolution and others that tried to reach too wide of an audience that only turned out to turn away it's core audience.

Flag
I always thought it would be a good show. I also believe that when giver a chance, CW shows usually deliver. Just have to move past the teenage drama sometimes. I just hope it will be a hit like the VD was back when it started. There isn't a lot of sci fi worth watching on tv right now.
Flag
I'll be giving the show a shot. It's definitely a cool concept, but my warning sensors go off with any CW show.
Flag
One of the riveting artifacts of BSG was President Roslin's whiteboard with its tally of the surviving humans. I wonder if there's some way to count down the hundred as they succumb to various lethal threats. (Yeah, I'm morbid that way.)
Flag
Staff
I might have already decided to keep a tally myself....
Flag
If you're going to be reviewing the show you've already found your final "Note:"

Flag
Maybe the title should be renamed "And then there was one"
Flag
As long as it doesn't end up like After Earth I'm down.
Flag
No Shyamalan involved. It's safe to watch.
Flag
The show logo so reminds me of the 4400. Hollywood must be missing a load of waitresses and bar keepers because of this show... Yes I'll give it a go!
Flag
I've been waiting for The 100 since I read about it last year. I can't wait!
Flag
YES!!! So excited, I'm like 5 again! hihi
Postapokalyptic, scifi, Desmond, survival, teenagers eaten by mutant animals - tell me people is this real? Am I still alive?
Flag
Desmond.
Flag
I can't remember one cw show that I actually liked. Smallville was ok. There are some ok shows, but its all teenage crap. The production work leaves too much to be desired.
Flag
Supernatural, Arrow, Hart of Dixie, Beauty and the Beast, and The Originals are not shows about teenagers.
Flag
beauty and the beast and the originals both suck. never seen dixie and arrow failed the 3 episode test. if I don't like it I'm not watching it.
Flag
Supernatural first five seasons - one of the best shows ever and I don't say that lightly.
Flag
Supernatural has lots and lots of fans and its been on so long its practically an institution, so I get that lots of people love it. Its ok. just not something i would follow. There's less than 3 network tv shows I'm following now. Hannibal, Sleepy Hollow, and Law and Order SVU (which has gotten so cheesy and predictable I sometime choose to skip it). I may pick up Almost Human again.
Flag
I liked Smallville and Angel. I am also loving Arrow. Though it took me over a year to try it. I dropped The Tomorrow People, and never watched The Vampire Diaries nor The Originals. I'll give this the four- six episode test. I love Sci-fi, and there's not much of it on tv.
Flag
I liked Angel too. In fact I liked it a lot, but I hated Buffy. Of course I only saw it on TNT. I didnt even know it came from CW but I knew tnt wasnt its original network. I watched the first episode of tomorrow people. It was ok, but I wouldnt follow a show like that. I like sci-fi too, and tv is known for making some of the worst sci-fi in history. I liked "V" and "The Event" and both got cancelled.
Flag
There'll be another "V" remake, called "The Visitors" on ABC (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3487410/)
Flag
Nice. Looks like its being completely repackaged. Unfortunately without Morena Baccharin.
Flag
I have been looking forward to this.
It seems like it ticks all the boxes I like.
Flag
I will definitely give this show a chance. I fear that it will be a bit too shiny for post-apocalyptic sci fi, but if everything else is good, I can live with the shiny. Post-apocalyptic sci fi is one of my very favorite genres, so I'm looking forward to this.
Flag
As long as the cast has more chemistry than Tomorrow People I am in! (Can't stand no chemistry)
Flag
I get nervous to jump right in to CW shows because I've been burned with hard to swallow cancellations so many times (THE SECRET CIRCLE I'M LOOKING AT YOU). I have a fear that if I get attached, it'll get canned, which makes me not want to watch until I know it's renewed, which makes it more likely to be cancelled! It's a viscious cycle.
Flag
Staff
Oh good. NOW I'm just thinking about The Secret Circle again. Sigh.
Flag
Sorry love! Don't worry, my wound is fresh. STILL. AFTER TWO YEARS. I blame the CW and this cancellation for most of what's wrong with my life. Probably misplaced, but it seems fitting.
Flag
I just don't understand why they didn't send some adults down as well? I mean, if The Ark is running out of resources, they don't have much of a choice; returning to Earth is their only real option. Yet they pin all their hopes on 100 juvenile delinquents to be able to survive in the wilderness?
Flag
Staff
They consider them expendable since they're criminals so it doesn't matter if they die on their mission. The adults are presumably more important because they keep the Ark running, etc.
Flag
Desmond.. in space! I'm there!
Flag
Desmond in Space... that's the title they should've went with.
Flag
Hey, brutha'!
Flag
It's had a better chance than star-crossed from the minute I heard about it. But please TPTB, do not turn this into a love triangle show. I'm done with those.
Flag
So this is Earth 2 meets Terra Nova? Pass.
Flag
I liked Earth 2 and Terra Nova. I also loved Battlestar Galactica and Bablyon 5. I'm really looking forward to seeing the first ep.
Flag
So did I. My point is the same story doesn't need to be retold.
Flag
I have a feeling that this show will be more teen melodrama than SF. Are we going to see any dinosaurs, or at least giant radioactive spiders? Is the planet populated? If they've only got to deal with themselves then the show could get dull fast.

What is the goal of the show? What are they looking for? One would think that a quick sweep with a few sensors would tell if the planet is safe or not so why just send a bunch of kids down when it would be more effective to send a trained team to prepare for a proper landing. Earth2 had people traveling. Ark2 had people traveling. Logan's Run (especially the TV series) had people traveling. Post-apocalyptic shows tend to favor exploration. But they also tend to have a high failure rate.

I also have a feeling that the ending of the show will be the ark landing. Or a quick cancellation.

Flag
Staff
No dinosaurs. Spiders a possibility. Certainly malformed animals of all sorts.

A number of your other questions are answered (more or less) during the pilot.
Flag
Staff
Spiders? F that. I'm out.
Flag
Staff
I'm only guessing! I'd expect cockroaches, too. Those things, after all, will survive ANYTHING. Heeehehe...Now I'm imagining those pretty "teens" fighting CGI giant cockroaches...Hehehehehehehe
Flag
As much as I love the idea of the teens fighting CGI giant cockroaches the very idea of the show spending money on unnecessary "special" effects gives me a bad case of the 'Terra Nova's'!
Flag
From the trailers I've seen, there are still other people alive down there. And why would there by dinosaurs after only 97 years? Or, since they've been extinct for millions of years...why would there be dinosaurs at all? Also, The Ark may not HAVE sensors, at least not in the way we think of them from shows like Star Trek.
Flag
100 times yes.
Flag
So only teenagers are convicts! Bravo adults and shame on you teens,
Flag
I could be wrong, but I saw an extended scene last year that seemed to imply that adult convicts are killed immediately, while teenage convicts are killed only after they hit 18, so the only convicts alive to send on the mission would automatically be under 18.
Flag
Staff
This is true. All adults are immediately "floated" a.k.a. sent out the airlock for all of their crimes.
Flag
It looks ok, and there is Henry Ian Cusick - and I love Lost and BSG - so I'll have to watch it....
Flag
Staff
I'll second Kaitlin's endorsement of The 100. There's some clunky, pilot-y dialog between the teens after they land, but it's a pretty solid first episode overall.
Flag
Yes'm.
Flag
I hope it will be more Lord of the Flies than the Hunger Games. The first episode will probably be enough to tell if it is worth watching or not.

And about the no food no water problem: they only wanted to see if the place is habitable. Sending a group of death row convicts with a transmitter sending back "still alive" signals to test it would probably suffice. And being without food or water will press them to check out the resources at hand faster too.
If you are not a human rights activist, then the problem of a something being poisonous or not can be easily solved if you expose someone condemned to death to it.
Flag
This is why I'm looking forward to the first ep. I'm all about Human Rights in real life but how deliciously wicked to send these teens down without supplies. Even though it's called the hundred, I'm thinking there has to be a casualty or two in the first few episodes.

I hate the adults already and I've not watched it yet.
Flag
It looks like people will be dying all the time on the show. Maybe it should be renamed " And then then was one"

Flag
I was thinking along the same lines. It is probably called "the hundred" and not "one hundred" because the title would have to count down every episode. - I really hope they won't show an actual countdown in the show, that would be so lame.
Flag
Paige Turco? Count me in!
Flag
As good a reason as most.
Flag
At least 100 deliquent for only 4000 people. Criminality is high those days!!!
Leprechaum really and why not giagantic marshmallow too??? :)

I'll be watching the 1st episode at least.
Flag
This show has such great potential but I'm a little put off about the producers of the show. But I'll watch it and give it a chance.
Flag
It looks good but I'm a little worry that most of the producers are from TVD.
Flag
That is my thought as well.
Flag
Seems too teeny for my liking (and demographic) shame as I love sci fi but a show about a bunch of pretty teens running around has come about 15 years too late for me ;)
Flag
This is actually the CW show I've been waiting for the most this season, solely based on trailers. There's potential for great stories when people are sent back to a planet that has been untouched for almost a hundred years. I know I was burned by Terra Nova with a similar premise, but my hopes are still up for The 100.

And I don't care what you say, I will call the show "The One-Hundred" because...OUCH!! Damn it, leprechaun, where did you come from?!
Flag
When i first saw the trailer i got really excited, then i saw all the comments about it being another dystopian, hunger games, CW-stylized rip off.
I have to say that those people didn't deter me, it's easy to disregard it because of the current trend but the trailer said a different story, it seems to be darker and honest and i honestly don't think that it will fall to any of the traps the other teen shows fall.
Also the world seems too bleak to leave room for any teen drama!
Flag
I'll give this a chance. I'm hoping it goes into a battle royale situation.
Flag
Somehow this has become my most anticipated show of the entire TV year, and it's a CW show! I haven't watched a CW show regularly since The Secret Circle, if The 100 is as good as TSC I'll be happy.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members