A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

The 100 S01E10: "I Am Become Death"

At the rate The 100 is burning through storyline and killing off characters, I fully expect the population of the camp to be 10 horny teens and a heap of scrap metal by the end of Season 1. Murphy—sans fingernails, dignity, and his trademark shoulder pad—returned to camp this week after being banished several episodes ago. He brought with him a nasty virus that caused a hemorrhagic fever that spread like herpes through the camp. As if that wasn't bad enough, several characters had their hearts broken this week, including Monty, whose bromance with Jasper was on the rocks after Jasper's rash decision to attack the Grounders last week made him some sort of hero amongst the rest of the camp and he dumped his former BFF for notoriety and a bigger tent. #TeamMonty

Murphy's probably only been gone 10 days in the timeline of the Hundred—that's how quickly the show moves—but it was enough time for him to be captured and tortured by the Grounders. Quite unsurprisingly, exactly zero people were happy to see his bloody visage staring back at them when he arrived at the gates of the camp, and they were even more angry when they discovered he'd unknowingly been infected with a virus and unleashed it in their very safe, very quiet home. Just kidding. Compton is probably a safer place to live than the Hundred's base camp right now. 

Honestly, a viral outbreak was bound to happen sooner or later given that these teenagers grew up in an artificial, contained environment away from the natural world. I'm surprised no one experienced some sort of infection—or even the most basic allergies—before now. They grew up on a space station, their bodies wouldn't have the same antibodies that ours do because they wouldn't have had the chance to develop them. They wouldn't be immune to the things we are, or that the Grounders are. What I'm trying to say is: The Hundred have been lucky up until this point, even if their track record doesn't necessarily show it. And the fact that only 14 people died as a result of the biological warfare unleashed by the Grounders is also a bit of a miracle. Viral outbreaks can be incredibly dangerous, and if the show didn't necessitate that at least some of the Hundred live to see Season 2, it wouldn't have been all that unbelievable to think the virus could have wiped them out entirely.

The goal of the virus, however, wasn't to eliminate the Hundred, but to weaken them and give the Grounders an advantage when they eventually did attack. Recognizing their weakened position, the Hundred opted to build a bomb with the highly unstable substance Raven found leaking from the Ark debris (just once I'd like a TV show to introduce something like that and just forget about it as if to say, "Screw you AND your gun, Chekhov! I do what I want!"). Given the state of TV today, a landscape in which teenagers are constantly pushing the envelope in terms of drama, where they're involved in everything from murder investigations to forbidden love affairs with their teachers, building a bomb—a weapon with the ability to destroy lives and homes in great number—honestly, didn't faze me. It's possible that Game of Thrones has numbed me to the actions of violent children, but more than likely, it's that The 100 has been constructing a brutal world and telling very adult stories through these teenagers since its premiere, and their age feels like an inconsequential piece of trivia after 10 episodes.

But at the end of the day, they are just kids. They might be toting guns and quarantining a viral outbreak, but building and unleashing a bomb—even if it was just supposed to blow up a bridge to buy them time to recuperate—was a ballsy move, one that most adults would struggle with, and it's likely to have repercussions, not just in terms of their ongoing battle against the Grounders, but for themselves. Clarke referenced Robert Oppenheimer's own reaction to seeing the successful detonation of the atomic bomb in the New Mexico desert after she saw their bomb's mushroom cloud. Oppenheimer, who's often credited as the "father of the atomic bomb," was actually quoting the Bhagavad Gita when he said "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Let's not forget why these teenagers are here in the first place. Human existence was destroyed in a nuclear war 97 years ago, forcing those who remained in orbit to band together in an attempt to keep the human race from dying out, and here come the Hundred building a bomb with little to no hesitation for the irony of the situation.

If the Hundred can build a bomb and detonate it, what's to stop them from doing it again? Access to supplies notwithstanding, once you've done something one time, it's much easier to do it a second time. They may have done this in the name of protection, and it maybe have been away from their camp giving it an "out of sight, out of mind" feel for many, but they've crossed a dangerous line here, not only with the Grounders, or the Mountain Men Lincoln told Octavia about this week, but with themselves. There's no going back now. 

On the relationship front, things were just as unstable as bomb this week. Raven said Finn hesitated before volunteering to transport said bomb to the bridge, which she then used as the basis for her argument in breaking up with him, claiming he didn't hesitate to catch Clarke when she collapsed from the virus. The romantic relationships are still the weakest part of The 100, if only because they still feel very rushed—Raven believes Finn loves Clarke after only knowing her for a couple of weeks—but in Finn's defense, most people would hesitate before agreeing to transport something that could blow them up, and furthermore, it's a natural human reaction to try to catch something or someone that is falling. I'm not discounting the argument that dire situations bring people together quickly or that Finn believes he's in love with Clarke, but this love triangle still feels rushed and forced. We haven't witnessed any real reason to believe his feelings go that deep, the only evidence we have is the show continuing to tell us they're that deep. Maybe if the writers spent a little bit of time showing instead of telling—and catching someone when they fall doesn't count—I'd be more inclined to believe them. It is possible to weave a romantic storyline in to a bleak tale of human existence, but right now, The 100 is failing with what is its main romantic triangle. 

Jasper's ongoing infatuation with Octavia is a far more believable storyline, and it's had far less screentime. He's pining for her while she's making googly eyes at the tall, handsome man with a six-pack (and who, coincidentally, took off for parts unknown this week), and it feels real. Maybe it's because it's the only thing that feels remotely teenage about the show, but it might also be because we've seen it from the point of view of others, which helps to flesh it out. Where the show tends to do very well in terms of human relationships, however, is the ongoing relationship between Clarke and Bellamy. They're still adversaries much of the time, but they've struck an understanding and they continue to work together to lead the Hundred despite often coming down on different sides. I'm far more interested in that relationship than whatever romantic touchy-feely nonsense is brewing between Clarke and Finn, but if the writers let it breathe and develop it naturally, it could turn out to be a strength rather than a weakness.

"I Am Become Death" was an important episode in terms of The 100's freshman season. They built a bomb and blew up the bridge—both literally and metaphorically. Raven dumped Finn, Octavia chose her people over Lincoln, and Murphy returned and appeared to have had a change of heart before straight up murdering the man who strung him up from the tree several episodes ago. Was this a single act of vengeance, or is Murphy just a giant bag of douche who's returned to rain fire down on his former people? Personally, I kind of hope it's the latter. Everyone loves a redemption arc, but this show is far too young for that. Being held captive and tortured by the Grounders could have changed Murphy, but he's so good as a villain—and having a villain who's not a member of the Grounders adds another layer of drama to the series—and I hope he continues this two-faced act. 

If the episode left me wanting for one thing, it was answers about the Ark and the piece of the Ark that exploded upon impact with the Earth at the end of last week's episode. It's far more probable that the ship carrying Clarke's mother and the rest of the mutineers was able to disengage from the larger piece of the Ark before it exploded, than believing one of those charred bodies was Abby's, but we spent no time at all with that storyline this week except to inspect the wreckage so we still don't have answers. I guess if there's one thing that I dislike about The 100 so far, it's that it continues to struggle to balance the two worlds, having to shift focus back and forth between the action on the ground and the politics on the Ark. It's frustrating to watch it play out this way, but it does create a sense of anxiety that pairs nicely with the stories being told. 

VITAL STATS

Current population of the Hundred (including Bellamy and Raven): 77

– Raven mentioned that the Ark had gone silent, which makes sense considering the last thing we saw, the entire space station went dark as a result of the giant piece breaking free and crashing to Earth. Still, I wish we'd gotten more reference to what's going on on the Ark than this.

– Monty saved the day when he arrived with another gun for Jasper. Super glad those BFFs patched things up because I was upset about it for a few minutes when Jasper was being Douche King of the Castle. I still think Monty deserves more screentime.

– Who are the Mountain Men? Sasquatch? 

– Is this the last we've seen of Lincoln for awhile? Please say no!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

272 Comments
Comments (272)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am very much delighted to every viewers that is reading this,i want to inform the whole public of how me and my lover got cured from herpes simplex virus,i was diagnosed of herpes since 4years ago and also find out that my herpes virus also effected my lover,this disease started circulating all over my body, and i have also taken treatment from my doctor,few weeks back i came on the net to see if i will be able to get any information as to curing this disease, on my search i saw various testimony of someone who was healed from herpes simplex virus by the great man called Dr SILVER and i told my lover about it and without any hesitation, i contacted his email: drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com i wrote him and and he guided me,i asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for the both of us and indeed 1week after me and my lover started using the medicine, we were completely cured no dot was found on my body and of my lover,so dear viewer why wasting your time living with this STD infection you can contact him now he is able to cure any kinds of disease,contact his Email drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com
More+
Flag
"their age feels like an inconsequential piece of trivia after 10 episodes"

That's exactly how I feel.
Flag
I was suffering from HERPES Simplex Virus, i suffered until i meet Dr Harrison the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can visit his website for more information. www.sacredspelltemple.wix.com/natural-remedies or send him an email SACREDSPELLTEMPLE@HOTMAIL.COM you can also add him on whats-app +2348079540032. you call or email me on +1989-541-7345 or email me on simranmendy@gmail.com
Flag
Testimony about Dr. Salami the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes simplex virus, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like Many people have the herpes simplex virus cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Salami via email, salamihealingspelltemple@gmail.com I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Fedex Online Service delivery, he gave my details to the Fedex Office, they told me that 2-3 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 1 week after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes simplex virus negative, if you are herpes simplex virus patient do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: salamihealingspelltemple@gmail.com thank you all and be blessed
More+
Flag
You're right. The love triangle seems forced and inbetween they show us Clarke and Bellamy fighting before each worry for the other again. He's mad at her and tell her "they will have problems" and later in the episode he's looking at the hammock like his beloved dog went missing. Mixed signals.
How did Bellamy even got infected? Did he touch anyone of them?
Flag
I've just discovered this show and I love it, but I totally agree- the relationships are rushed, forced, and therefore really not that interesting. I also find it frankly ridiculous that everyone is running around sleeping with each other- they were sent down without supplies, so no contraception! In a world where you're only allowed 1 child each, these kids must have had some serious sex education. I can't believe they'd be so foolish! I'd really like to see a teen show that discusses sex like real people do...
Flag
"They grew up on a space station, their bodies wouldn't have the same antibodies that ours do because they wouldn't have had the chance to develop them."

C'mon, this is still a CW teen show. While they might do well at life events, interpersonal relationships and entertaining levels of angst...stone cold scientific reality, that's not in their wheelhouse.

I don't expect them to address these kids being super pumped, high as a result of the oxygen rich environment they now live in making up for what must be a massive lack of cardio.

Just some good old fashioned popcorn fun.
Flag
The only thing I came here to ask is: Was that Kevin Tran who had the bleeding eyes outside of the "Quarantine Hut"??
Flag
I think the mountain men is the scary looking skull they found in episode 2, they're half monsters.
Flag
And just who are these mountain men?

(fade in banjo from Deliverance)
Flag
Honestly i think romance is a weak plot point for the 100 because they are focusing on the wrong pairs.
Like Jasper and Octavia could have been slow burn or Bellamy and Clarke with their antagonism and clashing ideals!
I think in general human relationships should be more in focus, like i love bellamy and octavia, Jasper and Monty bromance. But a little bit more of fun Clarke or maybe even Bellamy Raven friendship wouldn't be amiss!
Flag
There's probably a split in the viewership then because I'm just not that interested in the romantic angles, whichever pairings they focus on.

I like the sci-fi aspects and want to know more about the new worlds and external challenges the characters are encountering.

I think that preference is reinforced by the fact that everything is on such fast-forward that, for me, there hasn't been enough character development on which to base any sort of interesting relationships in which I could feel really invested.
Flag
this show started out with promise but like so many is really getting silly!
there are so many things that just dont add up--Like the Dome!
Ill keep watching but it really has lost a lot on my priority list!
Flag
I was really liking Murphy this ep until the very end. The bit when he gave up the hammock for Clarke, when he helped the others with wiping away the blood and giving water, and just that small nod Clarke gave him and the subsequent smile near the end of the ep made me really think Murphy was a changed person.
Guess not. Oh well.
Flag
Prediction: The "mountain men" are descendants of the miliary force that occupied the shelter Clarke was trying to find back in episode 1. They're well-organized, well-equipped, and don't like visitors from the outside.
Flag
I thought this episode was one of the weaker ones. I'm not really fond of "contagion" plots because they feel very gimmicky and gross. Almost every drama across the spectrum does an infection episode at some point and I'm surprised that The 100 would resort to one this early in their series.

The absence of the Ark characters was another drawback. I believe The 100 works best when they run the parallel storylines. The drama is more compelling when we see how the issues on the ground often mirror the same issues on the Ark. And the Clarke/Bellamy interaction is a good one to contrast with Abby/Kane.

The biggest plus in this episode was the breakup of Raven & Finn. Thank goodness that drama is over. Maybe there will be less eyerolls, side glances and frowny faces between the 3 of them.
Flag
Actually, I like that they did the virus. I'd actually been wondering how none of them seem to have caught even a cold or something, considering the foreign pathogens etc their immune systems were exposed to after their whole lives on the Ark. Just my two cents :)
Flag
On top of that I'm surprised nobody has pollen/grass/weed allergies. Not even a sniffle or red eye. If I was in the middle of that dense forest I would be dying for antihistamines. :P
Flag
I think they are there in late fall (they have spoken of impending winter and we've seen characters munching on apples)-- so not pollen season -- and most of the trees seem to be conifers so probably not risk on the pollen front -- though mold could be a problem.
Flag
My cynical thought is that one of the objectives of this ep was to make the viewers miss the Ark storyline (as the parallel storyline model is often questioned). Post this ep, a lot of fans are craving its return.
Flag
My take on the mountain men is this: The Grounders are a like Eloi (although a bit more violent) and the Mountain Men are the Morlocks (from HG Wells - Time Machine). The Mountain Men may be mutated or may be military soliders and scientists living in a bunker watching and experimenting on the Grounders.
Flag
Not to be super nit-picky, but I think your current population count is off by one (there should be 76 remaining), there were 91 at the start of the episode including Bellamy and Raven (your last count was 92 to include Raven and Bellamy in the recap for Contents Under Pressure, but in Unity Day's recap, it failed to include Dax the Teenage Assassin's death at the hands of drug addled Clarke, making the start of the episode I Am Become Death 91 instead of 92). 91 minus 14 and the 1 additional revenge murder by Murphy makes 76.
Flag
Pleased to have Murphy back. And as much as I love a redemption arc, I agree I'd rather he do lots of dastardly things and cause general chaos. Part of me hoped he'd be gone for longer though - long enough to get indoctrinated into the Grounder ways and sent back as a double agent. I feel like the few days he's been gone isn't enough to make that a realistic possibility. If he's just out for himself and loyal to nobody though, I can get on board with that as a storyline too.

Jasper was awful, annoying, infuriating, and I'm glad the show dealt with that in this episode. I too demand more Monty. And was good to have Olivia figure out where her loyalties lie or at least recognise that there's more to their world than her little love bubble. Had begun to find her very unlikable.
Flag
I actually wished that Olivia had left with LIncoln. Her life with him would probably be better and more interesting. That said, it was good writing to have her actually go and see him to tell him she wasn't going instead of just not showing up.

I agree that Jasper was irritating and Monty endearing.

I guess Monty killing Connor at the end was supposed to show us that he's up to no good but I hope we're not going to be treated to him killing off everyone who wronged him one by one. That would just be boring.
Flag
Her name is Octavia and it's a good thing she didn't.First of all,she barely knew Lincoln.Why run away with somebody you just met?Plus he would end up realizing it was a huge mistake to betray his fellow grounders and run off with her.They were going to live with Mountain MEN!All one of them has to do is save Octavia and be interested in her.Then she'll be wanting him and forget all about Lincoln.Think about that.
Flag
In real life, you'd be totally right but as this is fiction then anything is possible.

I'm not that interested in the relationship between Octavia and Lincoln or Octavia and anyone else.

The sci-fi, adventure and new worlds aspects of the show interest me far more.
Flag
I don't agree with the "whore" assessment but do agree with the thrust of what you said. I think that at this point, Octavia is one of the weaker characters.

The writers have attempted to show us more from her character -- as in the flashbacks in the ep where she was missing and when she slices herself with the poisoned blad to get Lincoln to point out the antidote.

To be fair, I think her willfulness and freeness with her crushes and sexuality is supposed to link back to her immaturity and the life of imprisonment she's had on the Ark and steel grip that Bellamy tries to have on her. Her reactions do make sense, I just don't think they make for compelling TV

I think she should be more than a love interest or Bellamy's reason for doing things. As a character, she has potential, but I don't know if the writers will exploit it.
Flag
I'm just saying that one of the reasons that it's good she didn't leave is because she ends up becoming interested in somebody else after they show interest in her especially if they save her life.She was interested in Jasper after he saved her life only for him to be kidnapped and for Atom to show interest in her which caused her to be interested in him until he died and Jasper came back.Then Lincoln came in and saved her life along with showing that he was interested in her which made her go after him.If one of the Mountain Men did the same thing,she wouldn't want Lincoln anymore.It's like they're turning Octavia into a whore or something.
Flag
I think you meant Murphy killing Connor. Monty is the good guy :)
And I agree, they better not make Murphy some murderer randomly offing people in camp. One of my biggest pet peeves with TV or Movie fiction is when there are too many villains running about. One menacing threat at a time please. They still have the Grounders to deal with and no way is Diana dead.
Flag
Yep, oops Murphy. : )
Flag
Maybe this is cruel but I was kind of hoping that Raven would end up sacrificing herself. I was really hoping that Finn wouldn't get to her in time. I don't know, just something about the character.

I missed seeing what was going on on the Ark after all the drama last week. I kept waiting for, at least, one scene. And I'm also not completely convinced that Abby is dead. I kept waiting for her to come walking out of the woods or something.

This was a decent episode. I just missed the back & forth, compare & contrast parts.
Flag
I agree with you on all the points you made. It seemed like now that the writers have shown that they have no trouble sacrificing seemingly major characters like Abby and Diana that they might have let Raven go, as well. Triangle problems solved.

Though I guess there was some closure in having Raven live and then (maturely) break up with Finn.

I found the episode to be okay though a bit of a downer because there were so many sad notes -- the crashed drop ship, the silence from the Ark, Lincoln being banished and then Octavia saying goodbye to him, 15 deaths in the 100 camp, Murphy killing Connor, Jasper's character development (still think his character is careening off a cliff), blowing up the bridge (literally and figuratively, because Grounders will have died or been killed in the explosion), the spectre of the Mountain Men (whoever those may be), Raven breaking up with Finn...
Flag
Random complaints:
Why do all the kids have clothes that look like they came out of a mall circa 100 years before they were born? Does the Ark have a mall? Given limited resources, wouldn't everybody get a choice of, like, 3 outfits? Why does the clothing part of the Ark produce all those different styles of clothes that they wouldn't need on the Ark in the first place?
Whoever did costume design should have had an easy job... everybody gets plain jumpsuits, which are then altered to reflect indivduality. Chancellor Burke has his perfectly clean and pressed, the adults have various mostly intact jumpsuits, and the 100, as juvenile delinquents, have cut holes and stripes and whatnot into their coveralls.
Several SF authors have suggested that space-dwellers will be nudists, because you can just adjust your artificial habitat to make it confortable, and clothes just give you a cleaning problem, and can catch on things. Obviously, for TV, that becomes bikini swimsuits for the ladies and brief trunks for the lads... good thing all our TV space-folk are telegenic... but what possible use has an astronaut for a hoodie?

Flag
Given that the population has grown, the continued abundance of clothes doesn't make that much sense even though they are all very dirty and have been mended a few times (that was Bellamy and Octavia's Mom's job) as well as passed down when someone dies or is floated.

Though maybe it's more logical if the original Ark-dwellers each had 3 or 4 sets of clothes and these are what have been passed down to the 2000+ who live there now.

Nudism wouldn't work on the Ark because it's life support systems are faulty - we've seen that it can get very cold on board and then there is the solar radiation.

I haven't seen more than one outfit on the kids. They didn't come down to Earth with packed bags. They were sent in the clothes they were wearing. For most of the women that's a bra and panties, pants, socks, boots, an outer shirt (some women like Raven and Octavia have an undershirt, as well) and jackets.
Flag
But why are those clothes there in the first place? Astronauts take astronaut clothes, not mall-walking clothes.
Flag
Yes, but the founders of the ark were people that were living up in the space stations, they would have been normal people, in a controlled environment, and they could wear whatever that wanted. The people that lived up there originally probably had full closets of anything they wanted to wear.
Flag
They might well have had a couple of outfits.
Flag
It's incredibly expensive to deliver mass to orbit. It's not wasted on wardrobe. Th original colonists would not have had full closets.
Flag
You could say that the reason they never got sick from ordinary colds is some combination of the following plausibilities:
1) they get antibodies that are artificially created on the Ark, which give broad-spectrum immunity to diseases known as of when they took off.
2) ordinary diseases died off because there weren't enough live bodies to host them. (The reason there's no smallpox in Antarctica).
3) Luck. It's clearly not cold and flu season... yet.

Flag
My complaint is that they know how to build a bomb, but they've no idea how to knock down a bridge. A bomb on the deck expends most of its energy into empty space. A bomb UNDER the deck puts its energy into the bridge's support members.
(And if, as originally intended, you want it to ALSO be an antipersonnel device, you need a source of shrapnel.)

Then, there's the bridge. We don't get a really good look at it, but what we do see suggests that there's no reason losing it should really slow down the grounders. It's not that long, and not that tall. What's it bridging, the flaming moat of impassability?
Flag
It could be the carnivorous river creatures that make a bridge desirable for crossing, although not likely to cause much impediment to an advancing mob.
Flag
Totally! I was like, ah, aren't you supposed to take out the supports? And isn't she an engineer? O_O
Flag
Staff
I would like to see the flaming moat of impassability become a real thing, please.
Flag
True dat.

I don't have a good idea of the geography at all. Lincoln doesn't seem to have any trouble getting to Octavia and Octavia doesn't seem to need to cross the bridge to get to his quarters. So, it didn't seem to make any sense to me that the Grounders would (have to) come across the bridge at all.
Flag
I think having to go around the bridge wouldn't stop them at all (it doesn't even seem to be that far down?!) but I think it was more about scaring the grounders into thinking there was more to them then there actually is
Flag
That one's easy. Lincoln lived on this side of the flaming moat of impassability, and the other grounds live on the other side. Lincoln's just an antisocial dude.
Flag
I get the feeling that there are two different types of people on earth besides the 100.

Take Lincoln for example, either he is merely a lone wolf (there is evidence to suggest that ). Or he isn't completely with the other grounders, he has a cave in the middle of no where, a cave he is clearly living from alone. The cave is small and clearly looks disorganized in general considering the head grounder woman mentions grounder villages.

Also in the first episode of the show Jasper gets speared in the chest by a grounder, from the side the rest of the 100 was on. They never fully addressed that, other than to say the mountain was off limits. Clearly now we know that is the mountain men's area. We also know how the general idea of a shelter/ bunker played out in this world.

I am guessing one of two possible explanations for having separate tribes or entirely different groups of people, perhaps even racially so.

1. The grounders we have physically seen are in some way or another the losers of the war that caused the end of civilization. So they could be random survivors from far points of the planet that weren't directly impacted by the nuclear explosions themselves. Remember the 100 are in Florida and Lincoln clearly mentioned going to the ocean and crossing it to join a different tribe. So some type of ocean going technology still remains. They could be the ones repopulating the world while the hypothetical 'winners' of the nuclear war are the mountain men.

2. If the only people who survived the nuclear war were in bunkers or well protected shelters than we have a potential high end and low end bunker survivor theory. 97 years is long enough to see the full effects of things like radiation poisoning on multiple subsequent generations of exposed individuals. It is also long enough to create an intelligence/ technological gap between the high end survivors and low end survivors. Think the presidential bunker vs a home made storm shelter that has moderate protection against radiation.

I like the first option best myself, it allows for more freedom in the storytelling and makes things far more compelling. Remember we saw unusual glowing things and a deer with two heads very early in the season, which haven't been as big a part of the story recently, i think that is all about to change with the destruction of the bridge and the bomb.
More+
Flag
The 100 are in Florida? But there are no mountains in Florida.
Flag
Staff
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 100 are in the Virginia area.
Flag
Did a little math; when Abby asked Raven to work on the pod, Raven noted that it was from the year 2102 and mentioned that it was 132 year old piece of junk. So add the two numbers together and the current year is 2234 minus 97 years and the war took place in 2137. Now factor in the trend of climate change and shifting continental plates and by this time in our future Florida may not exist at all and is somewhere at the bottom of the Atlantic. This can also change weather patterns and have hurricanes where historically they never occured. Also Clarke did note as they were making their way to Mt. Weather in Ep. 1 that the river was not on the map. So it is reasonable to presume that how we view Earth geographically now is not the same in The 100's reality.
Flag
You and ummhaniyyah have a good point, i would like a clear date at which all of this is happening. I think it would put it into perspective. Also some information about the nuclear war itself would be helpful. FYI i had no idea where Mt Weather was.
Flag
Well the real Mount Weather is in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia so I think it's a fair assumption.
Flag
Overall, I respect the show's writers, but satellite image and hurricane seem to have been mistakes or examples of writers not looking at things in as detailed a way as viewers do.
Flag
I should say they showed the hurricane going directly toward and i think over Florida. Then the person on the arc said it was heading right toward them, or it was right on them etc. Agreed, we didn't need a satellite image to confuse people. :D

So now I assume Lincoln is literally crossing the ocean to Europe? lol :D
Flag
It looks like the plan to blow up the bridge a successful delaying tactic. They managed to post-pone the Grounder attack.

I'm now curious about the Mountain Men. I'm assuming that they're some other group of humans that live up in the mountains and are different than the Grounders.

It didn't make a lot of sense to me that the illness the Grounders infected them with wasn't more fatal. I know 14 people did die, but I'm surprised they didn't pick something to try and wipe them all out since the Grounders were planning on coming to kill them anyway.

This is the first episode where I don't think we've seen the Ark.
Flag
They kill people with spears and you're surprised they don't have more effective biological attacks?
Flag
I assumed that they are sportsmanlike and have some values around honorable kills. Biological warfare is hardly honorable. They are okay with weakening them with the virus (how to they maintain fresh samples?) but feel it better to actually kill them in person.
Flag
This was one of the best episode of the show. I am loving it more. Glad it has been renewed for season two.

I was thinking we have lost count of how many of the 100 was dead then in the end, they had to come and tell us that 14 died. I think the show want us to keep counting.

The only thing Murphy learn from being captive is how to be a two face villain. He is still a villain but not the straight in your face kind anymore like he was before being captured.

The writing is not as bad as many made it out to be. At least the writers acknowledge that there is another clan living somewhere else. Lincoln wanted to bring Octavia to join them. That makes sense. Earth is big and the grounders are not the only humans left. I liked the world of the 100 is expanding and hope they will explore more of it in season two.

I wanted more of the Ark stories and desperately wanted to know if Clarke's mother or Diane survived. Please let us know soon.

Flag
This ep's death count is 15, including Connor whom Murphy killed at the end.
Flag
I think they should have a new clan every season and have like different kinds of survival skills.That would make it more interesting.They'd be all "we got rid of the grounders.Now we don't have to worry about any more deaths" only to find out another group is coming for them as the cliffhanger.
Flag
well this was the episode that I have feared (before I saw the show) whole show was gonna be like.....predictable teen drama
i hope next week they'll be back on track
Flag
Poor Jasper. Octavia would drive me crazy too. She's the kind of woman who would do that. Still, it was silly of Jasper to turn down the affection of that random girl. Imagine how much his self confidence would improve after a night of sex, and perhaps he would get less obsessed. Not to mention that this other girl doesn't have a violent brother.

The actors are in their 20s, and the characters make decisions, but their behavior could be that of people in their 20s living under a very stressful situation such as this. I think the idea they should be teens was just to sell the show to its audience according to the CW standards. But that's becoming less and less a factor.

When Lincoln mentioned "Mountain Men" I had to laugh. "You gotta be kidding" is what everybody in the camp must be thinking. After they deal with the mountain men, what's next? The Valley Girls? The Desert People? When are the One Hundred going to have a break?

Nice sound effects. I was watching the episode with headphones and I heard barfing noises come from all directions, even seemingly behind me.

I didn't miss Ark scenes because I understand that's how the show operates. Next we'll have n episode dealing (mostly at least) with the Ark situation, and another possibly about the crash survivors. Just like Lost.

Wow, Murphy is a real douche. And he managed to kill the other black dude! The saddest thing is that this crime will most likely go unpunished, unless Raven got to witness the event. When will they realize Murphy is a plague that has to be exterminated?

Oh, well, Raven broke up with Finn, and, now, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

All in all, a great episode. I thought it would be another bottle episode with people falling ill and getting better after some unexpected cure was found. But no, a lot has happened. Well, we all knew Jasper was going to make that show, but the situation felt suspenseful enough, even with the right shot with the last bullet usual trope.
More+
Flag
Haha its so true; barf noises were everywhere!

The scene with Jasper making the shot had me all on edge because this show could feasibly make him miss. I like the unpredictability they've set up here.
Flag
Well, in terms of black guys, there is still Miller.

Caught up in the melodrama -- Octavia didn't bother to ask Lincoln about Mountain Men.
Flag
The CW always hires actors in their 20s (sometimes even in their 30s) to play teenagers for whatever reason.

Most all of their shows have actors who are 25 pretending to be 17 from what i can tell.
Flag
And often behaving like, well, peole in their 20s... Ironically.
Flag
i used to like jasper (episode 1).. but lately, he's getting a big head and i don't feel for him anymore.. so im glad that octavia aint giving him the time of day.
Flag
Indeed #TeamMonty! Love the character & the kid! (well I've no idea how old the actor is... maybe he's 30 LOL)

Mountain men sound to me like a more powerful tribe and maybe not that friendly... Crazed survivors that came out of the shelters? Hope we won't have to wait much to find out!

BWT: how many eps left? 2-3?

Flag
There will be 13 episodes for the first season, which is actually pretty standard for shows that start mid-season like this. There are three episodes left - last one airs June 11th.
Flag
Smoking The Good Stuff Aren't We?
Flag
Disrespectful to Oppenheimer given the premise of the show. She takes too much credit. He made it possible to destroy cities, she ordered the building of one bomb with preexisting technology. Even as an analogy, Raven would be Oppenheimer and Clarke would be FDR. Clarke is having delusions of grandeur. She might be mentally ill.
Flag
I've seen that quote used probably more than a hundred times in fiction, and it's always taking responsibility for opening said "box". I've never seen it used as poorly as this.
Flag
Well, they did open Pandora's box. Clarke didn't personally do it, but she Bellamy, Finn and Raven agreed to setting the bomb.

They've set off the first bomb in 97 years -- killed/injured a bunch more Grounders and incurred the wrath of the mysterious Mountain Men.

With only three episodes left things are accelerating. I've no doubt that it wasn't used as well as it was in the works of fiction that you've read.

I really don't get why that one quote was the nadir for you.

Flag
Coz it was also the episode title.
Flag
So, too heavy-handed a use, then? Fair enough.
Flag
Yep, she wasn't referring to herself. Whenever I have heard people use that quote even though it's a first person quote they are always applying it to the situation -- trying to highlight that Pandora's box has just been opened/bad things are coming -- NOT referring to themselves.
Flag
I think she was just quoting a cool, applicable quote, not imagining herself as some brilliant scientist.
Flag
"Jasper's ongoing infatuation with Octavia is a far more believable storyline, and it's had far less screentime. He's pining for her while she's making googly eyes at the tall, handsome man with a six-pack (and who, coincidentally, took off for parts unknown this week), and it feels real. Maybe it's because it's the only thing that feels remotely teenage about the show, but it might also be because we've seen it from the point of view of others, which helps to flesh it out. Where the show tends to do very well in terms of human relationships, however, is the ongoing relationship between Clarke and Bellamy. They're still adversaries much of the time, but they've struck an understanding and they continue to work together to lead the Hundred despite often coming down on different sides. I'm far more interested in that relationship than whatever romantic touchy-feely nonsense is brewing between Clarke and Finn, but if the writers let it breathe and develop it naturally, it could turn out to be a strength rather than a weakness."
Everything said here yes yes yes.
Flag
Completely agree with everything Kaitlin wrote in her review. She said exactly what I was thinking.
Flag
Totally agree about romance on The 100 being the weakest part, and about Clarke and Bellamy's relationship being one of the more interesting things. I like that even though they have different ideas about doing things, they still seem to respect each other.

I'm not with you on Murphy, though. I was hoping we'd never see that guy again. I'm not interested in watching him go around being two-faced. Hopefully that won't last long.
Flag
the reason he's back is because they like the actor and thought he could still be around longer.plus I've I've heard in interviews that although he's one of the scariest guys on the show,he's one of the nicest guys in real life.
Flag
I think your running total should be 85, not 77. 10 died previously (as seen in Lincolns book), 4 died from the fever, and the guy Murphy killed. Makes fifteen dead. Clarke mentioned fourteen graves, plus the final scene.

Flag
I thought 14 graves were for the people killed in the outbreak.
Flag
Staff
The question is whether she meant 14 graves total or 14 graves from the virus. I assumed she meant the latter, and wasn't including those who'd already died.
Flag
I agree it is 14 from the virus but did you included the last guy that Murphy killed in the end.

I think the show want us to count. I just wished they did the numbers thing in the beginning like BSG or at least put it at the end of the show.

Any way you can ask for an official count from the writers?
Flag
...or they should create a widget on their site that tracks the number of survivors. Come on CW marketing people, interact with the audience. :)
Flag
Yep, it was pretty obvious this ep that they want us to count. Which I took to mean that many more will die (insert evil cackle here).
Flag
It would be cool if they made The 100 logo crumble more and more as people die.
Flag
Staff
My count did include the final death at the end. I'll try to get an official number from the writers to verify.
Flag
I thought she said 14 died from the virus, but that wouldn't make sense because when they were dragging the people out of the bunker there were only like 2 bodies, so there couldn't have been that many more who died afterwards.
Flag
you forgot to add two for raven and bellamy for consistency with the above count
Flag
You are correct - Total would 87: 100 + 2 (Raven and Bellamy) -15 (10 previous, 4 illness, 1 final scene).

Flashback to high school math problems. When does the train leave Chicago?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I see Finn as the idealist who has this naive veiw of how people should live. He's a dreamer who's sence of morality and humanity is slowly being chipped away. His failed attempt at peace talks and now he is the maker of bombs as Bellamy pointed out to him. Finn was The Hundred's version of Oppenheimer in this episode who had peaceful intentions but who's actions have led to more violence and destruction.
There are a lot of fans out there who want Bellamy and Clarke to come together romantically (heck I'm one) but I think it's in the best interest of the writters and the overall story to take their time with it. I would rather see them develop their friendship first as it should be a natural progression. I also like the subtle hints that Bellamy is not just a soldier or goon with a gun. He knows his history and he thinks stratigically. It was Bellamy this time who warned about crossing the line with bombs. I also sometimes forget that Bellamy is the oldest out of the survivors even though he's at most 20 yrs old. That makes him the only adult.
It was great to see Murphy back and he is turning out to be quite the psychopath. I would love to see his back story played out and why he was imprisoned on the Ark.
More+
Flag
Totally agree with you on this. I like your thoughts on Finn, and the development of Bellamy and of Clarke.
About Bellamy's age, I think it was mentioned his sister is about 17, so that would make him even older, maybe as old as 25. The little kid in the flashback when his sister was born looked anywhere from 6-8 years old, added to 17, would make Bellamy 23-25.
Flag
Yep, I think Bellamy is at least 23.
Flag
"Clarke referenced Robert Oppenheimer's own reaction to seeing the successful detonation of the atomic bomb in the New Mexico desert after she saw their bomb's mushroom cloud. Oppenheimer, who's often credited as the "father of the atomic bomb," was actually quoting the Bhagavad Gita when he said "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Let's not forget why these teenagers are here in the first place."

This isn't completely true.

First off his name is J. Robert Oppenheimer. Secondly the quote about "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds" is questionable because in different interviews Oppenheimer claims to have both said it aloud and to merely have thought it to himself. So there is some question as to exactly what Oppenheimer said during the trinity test in 1945. However, two things are for sure: 1) Enrico Fermi was sarcastically taking bets on how much of the atmosphere they would destroy and 2) they did have a running pool on the yield of explosion. So, they only tested one nuclear device the implosion design... They felt the gun design was so simple it couldn't fail.
Flag
True on his name but it's more common in the US to just refer to him as "Robert Oppenheimer" even though most people who know who he is, know that it was J. Robert Oppenheimer. [I remember you saying that you're writing from Brazil].

I'll add that it's common for someone who goes by an initial for their first name + middle name + family name to be called by their middle name by other people. When you make your first name an initial but spell out your middle name it puts emphasis on that second name.

Ex: You sign your checks and formal documents F. David Crane but everyone calls you Dave or David and may not even know what the F is for. My partner is in this situation.

You're right that the attribution of the quote is questionable but nevertheless when one hears that quote one thinks of Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb automatically (it's just part of the popular culture) -- so that's why the writers used it and it does fit the context.

Using that quote also allowed them to slip in that little back and forth between Clarke and Bellamy with Clarke beginning to explain to him who that is and him saying that he knows (the implication being that Oppenheimer is someone that educated people know about).
More +
Flag
I'm not from Brazil. I'm from New York State.

Well actually, people called him Robert Oppenheimer when they spoke to him in person. However, he is pretty much universally spoken of in all historical materials as either "Oppenheimer" or "J. Robert Oppenheimer", I have never seen an author of any historical work call him merely Robert Oppenheimer unless they are reprinting one of his correspondence.

2: I'm not actually questioning the the pop-cultural reference ability of the quote itself. I'm questioning why the author of this review does not actually set the record straight about how this quote while commonly attributed to Oppenheimer was not stated in the present form until a 1964 television program about the first test of an implosion device.

3) Three just because the writers don't do the leg work to make things accurate does that mean we should accept these facts? After all I watched an episode of Revolution where they said a one tanker trailer of gas was equal to 1000 tons. Which is absurd given the molecular mass of Mustard Gas is so low that it would require literally thousands of tanker cars to make a gas cloud 1000 tons in mass. Not to mention the fact that due to the low mass of gas and its ability to form to any container-- unless liquified we normally speak of gas in volume i.e. cubic feet, cubic meters or so on.

So, I'm not sure what the point is about what the value of the Clarke and Bellamy interaction really is. Plus it is pretty stupid to compare a small explosion with that of a Nuclear Bomb. Clarke and Bellamy don't even know if the enemy doesn't have explosives themselves. Explosives are not hard to manufacture and have been around for centuries. The earliest being Black Powder which was invented in 9th China (the commonly accepted date) so that is 1100 years at least. SO why wouldn't the people who survived on the ground not be able to use explosives as well?

More +
Flag
Sorry on placing you in a different location than where you actually are. I must have confused you with another regular poster.

Yes, I know he's always written about as J. Robert Oppenheimer but as this was a conversation versus a term paper, I thought Robert Oppenheimer was appropriate, especially since they were going for a pop culture reference (if we agree that it's uncertain that he even made that statement).

I don't expect scientific accuracy from this show. Once we've accepted that they are walking around just fine on the surface only 97 years after nuclear annihilation (of which there are few signs around them), then I suspend my disbelief.

I agree that it might be fun, nonetheless to point out inconsistencies but I can't get indignant about them or shame the writers because of them -- since, it is what it is and by continuing to watch I'm accepting a certain baseline of inaccuracy.

Re using the quote in reference to a relatively small explosion: Context matters.

97 years after nuclear war the characters all feel the weight of that in a place that nature seems to have taken back. The Grounders are using spears, knives and arrows - the 100 are the only ones so far to escalate the level of the war to guns and now explosions.

Presumably, too the bomb they set off is the first bomb to go off in the world since 97 years ago -- so it feels significant to the characters.

They've also grown up with really strong history lessons about the dangers of war.

The writers made an attempt throughout this episode to parallel the 100s' discussions around escalation, deterrence and war with the decisions that had been made in their past.

I understand if you feel like the use of that quote doesn't fit with the relevant lightness of a CW teen drama but in the context of the script I don't think it came out of nowhere.
More +
Flag
Tatrafan -- Like I said, if inconsistencies and implausible situations are upsetting then lots of fundamentals of the show will be intolerable because they simply don't withstand scrutiny.

It's not just the smaller elements.

I'm not sure the writers anticipated the interest and detailed focus they've gotten from sci fi fans (versus the CW's teen drama demographic) or renewal for a second season.

I hope that they step their game up for Season 2.

Re technology:

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you want to or are willing to and some ideas (you can look at the flush toilet) come up more than once before becoming accepted and taking off. Nor is every invention, however brilliant and effective, universally valued (small example -- conflicting preferences for toilet paper vs. washing with water after relieving oneself).

Anyway, we'll see where they are going with it - but I think the Grounder's level of tech is a decision, not evidence that they couldn't do better.

It may be something their leadership decided to prevent more war, an engrained spiritual/religious value or it could be something forced upon them by others (such as the Mountain Men -- since Lincoln implied that setting off the bomb would draw their wrath).

I know I've been wondering about the cache of weapons that Clarke and Bellamy found -- why the Grounders hadn't exploited them and why the guns were all together at the bottom of steel drums (not the usual storage containers for weapons).

More +
Flag
I can get indignant about inconsistencies because it shows laziness on both the writers' part and on those of the viewers. So then it is up to the audience to stand up and say "no" to accepting these problems.

Military History-- the first things propelled by gunpowder (black powder in this example) were bolts from cross bows. In Ancient Greece they used Greek Fire (the exact formulation is still disputed) , however, they used it like Napalm from a flamethrower.

So, why wouldn't we have enough people with knowledge in the 97 years to keep certain elements of society intact? This entire concept that society has fallen back to the days of neolithic technology is rather silly. if you ask me. Technology in these little pockets would probably depend on several factors:

1) The skill sets of the survivors.

2) The type of Infrastructure that survived.

3) The type of resources available to the survivors.

4) The type of resources they stockpiled.

So, it is completely possible to conceive of a group of survivors who have electricity, manufacturing capabilities in a limited sense, have stable forms of government, and even a pretty high level of education.

This entire back to the neolithic days is rather unbelievable actually.

More +
Flag
I'm always pleasantly surprised by this show. I agree that these teenagers face many adult and serious problems, and I love the show for that. It easily could have stayed stuck in the teenage rebellion and angst stage of the first two episodes, but it didn't.

Clark's quick evolution has me very invested. I'm unsure how I feel about her making the hard decisions and quickly losing the girl who saw things strictly in black and white, as she now mentally lives in a grey area. She sides more with Bellamy than Finn, which is why Finn is probably going to lose her.

I also don't really see why Clark is the leader. I'm not complaining, but it really doesn't make sense. Bellamy is a leader because of brute force, alpha male... that's real and makes sense, but Clark.. why? Because she's their "princess" with medical skills? She's doing a good job, but I don't see why she was elevated to that status in the first place. I guess it's because she's more of a political leader, where Bellamy is the muscle... they're two halves of one coin.

As far as relationships go, I'm mostly invested into Clark and Bellamy's relationship as leaders, and possible romance. They make a good team. Finn would be a great friend to them both because he still holds on to that positive, "maybe we can all get along" philosophy. I also would love to see Clark get a gal pal. The women on this show are very strong, but they're so secluded from each other.

I could see Clark and Raven becoming friends, especially since it looks like Clark and Bellamy are going to get together, which would alleviate the whole Finn thing. Raven is great, I saw other comments where they didn't get that she was like "thanks for saving me on the bridge, I'm dumping you." That actually makes a lot of sense because of her character. She's lost everything, her family, home, and now the one guy in her life. Or so she feels. So she pushes him away to try to keep it from hurting her. That's also why she was willing to sacrifice herself on the bridge. In her mind, she's lost everything. She's a great character and I hope she and Clark become friends.
More+
Flag
Clarke is smarter than most of the others and has a broader base of knowledge and skills than many of the others. Not surprising since she comes from the ruling class and probably has been being groomed for a leadership position.

She's also a leader because she took that mantle upon herself and the others accepted her as leader (maybe at first for class reasons but also because it quickly became obvious that she's a clear thinker and knew some things that would help them survive).
Flag
She was probably groomed by her parents. Her mother was on council and it seems feasible that Clarke would one day fill her shoes. It's interesting to note that in the pilot before Clarke was tranqed and carted away....her mom alluded to the leadership void. She specifically said "your instincts will tell you to take care of everybody else first...just like your father." I think her mother knew she could lead, but Abby obviously didn't anticipate Bellamy sneaking aboard and causing all those problems early on.
Flag
Most people are followers; it is human nature. Clarke was leading from the start when she led that exhibition to find the mountain in the pilot. Being accepted as a leader for the whole group took longer and was helped along by other factors already mentioned by other commenters.
Flag
Bellamy accepted her as a co-leader --- that was her key to becoming a group leader. At first they were always butting heads and then she was the leader of a faction of the 100 but once he accepted her she became a co-group leader.
Flag
It takes more than brute force to be a leader. Clarke is able to see the multiple sides of an issue, and she is able to keep the big picture in mind.
Flag
Bellamy became a leader because he took it.. by brute force. Which is common, people will normally accept someone who proclaims being a leader, because that's apart of our psychology.

But my hang up, was why has Clarke's leadership been handed to her. She didn't take it, she was given it. Yes she does possess all of those things you mentioned, but that's something we saw after the fact that we became a their leader.

Before that, she was more focused on individual missions and making googly eyes at Finn. Looking back, I guess it was when she mercy-killed that one guy, that Bellamy couldn't. He then said, give Clarke anything she needs. That was when he handed her power and she became his council and partner in leading the others.

They make a great team, they have a good cop, bad cop thing going on. Also she makes the decisions, and he carries them out. It'll be interesting to see who else, if anyone, they let into their council.
Flag
Part of the friction recently has been around Finn being accepted into their (Clarke and Bellamy's) leadership circle. They may accept him now that the bridge bomb thing was a success.
Flag
Neither Clarke nor Bellamy expected them to succeed, so we'll see.
Flag
Clarke from the beginning is not overly interested in being the leader, her driving force has been to keep everyone alive. Bellamy enjoys the power, true but he also wants everyone alive and realizes that Clarke is essential to that survival. Clarke earned his respect and the respect of the 100 because she is brave and willing to put others needs ahead of her own. She forced Bellamy out of his power trip and into a real leadership role. Clarke earned the respect with which she is treated.
Flag
I think you anwsered your own questions regarding Clarke. The moment Bellamy decided he would include her as an equal leader, that was when everyone else accepted her as a leader. However I don't quite see Bellamy taking the leadership role by brute force, as he didn't physically fight anyone for that position. More like he used his natural charm and charisma to win over key people that can influence the rest. He is always thinking stratigically and as they settle into their new environment his circle of those he makes decisions with changes and becomes more defined. His brute force comes into play after he secures his position in order to maintain it. Even Raven is becoming a trusted member of his circle.
Flag
He forced people to remove their monitoring bracelets and he was always surrounded by thugs (Murphy among them) who would do as he said.
Flag
Clarke is a leader because she is very educated compared to the others with good overall knowledge from both parents and medical education from her mother which none else has.

I take it people also consider her family high status because both her parents were leaders and thus assume the same goes for her.

In the early episodes they don't want Clarke to be in charge but essentially already treat her as special because of her mother. When her ideas then prove better and she steps up to the plate as Bellamy condones it they essentially automatically accept her.

So in essence she is born to be a leader because her family is, Bellamy took the leadership by force. Two different origins.

Flag
-Clarissa29

I also said that. They don't want her to be a leader in the initial episodes but already imply that she has special status and think she'd lead.

In essence Bellamy's popular uprising against the "Rich" is what keeps that sentiment alive for a while but when he stops that Clarke quite quickly becomes accepted as a leader because of her skills and relationship to the Council.
Flag
Charissa29 - It's more complicated than that. Yes, being a councillor's child is a mark against Clarke initially but it's still something that carries weight. Her mother is also a respected councillor member because she the main healer on the Ark. The writers have constructed a world in which the Ark is socially stratified -- common people the class divide but are also accustomed to doing what the higher ups mandate and probably have ingrained ideas about those people being smarter and more educated. So it makes sense that while they hate what she represents that they might be more willing to follow her leadership -- it's what they are used to and for some it will be the first time that they are in close proximity to one of the privileged.
Flag
I respectfully disagree, Mangalore. Being a councillor's child was a mark against her. Early on Bellamy, Murphy etc. used the "Princess" nickname in a derogatory way. I rather like that Bellamy and the camp use "Princess" with affection and respect.
Flag
The ‘give her everything she needs’ was a part of it but in other episodes you see him backing up her commands. Before the torture, the guard was blocking Clarke’s way but she told him to move and then Bellamy said move to the guard, which lead to them obeying her too. Also Bellamy looked to Clarke for permission to torture Lincoln, he gave her the power (and responibility) (this last moment was also why Lincoln chose Clarke as the leader for negotiation purposes). And he’s done it in other situations, Bellamy listens to her. The others are taking his example and they’ve also come to respect her for everything she’s done for them, saving someone’s live will do that.
Flag
I agree with you. It looks like a leadership triad is developing with Clarke as the pragmatic fulcrum and Bellamy and Finn the opposing sides she has to balance. Bellamy and Clarke work well together, but Finn's optimism is essential for keeping brutality at bay.
Flag
It has a lot to do with Bellamy gaining mega respect for her, and realizing that it would be kind of useful to have her (rather than somebody like murphy) in charge with him. It is perplexing that he kind of gives her co-leader status rather than second-in-command at that time.

However, as we can see in this past episode, she still doesn't have everybody's respect, as the random guy pulled a gun on her. I don't think anybody would have done that if it had Bellamy sick in that moment.
Flag
You already said it. Bellamy respects her. She has more moral, emotional strength than he does. Clarke has never followed him, or had plans too so 2nd in command won't work. She challenges him, she makes him face when he is wrong and acknowledges her own mistakes. How many of us our so open about our mistakes?! I'm just sayin'. :)
Flag
@ummhaniyyah
I think Bellamy is also secretly really happy and relieved to have someone he can trust and rely on his side. You can notice a subtle change in him since he started working with Clarke. He's more relaxed, smiles more, and isn't always yelling.

SHE'S TAMED THE BEAST! lol

Maybe that's one of the reasons I find their relationship the more intriguing, is that he is trying to be a better man and leader, which is inspired because of her. He can let down his guard around her... it's a great romantic set-up. Maybe not the most healthy relationship, but in a dystopin world, I guess you take what you can get ;)
Flag
Bellamy is racked by guilt and a sense of responsibility. It makes sense that he accepts Clarke as co-leader because then he doesn't have to bear these things alone.

Now if they decide to kill someone or risk something big, the responsibility of those decisions falls on both of them, not just him, so that totally makes sense.
Flag
Ps. Sorry for misspelling Clarke.
Flag
As for the antibodies: babies do get some of their mother's antibobies in the womb, and also later on through their mothers milk. And they didn't spend hundreds if generations in space, so those will work on pathogens that hadn't evolved since then. Also the Ark is not a sterile enviroment. We heard a lot about outbreaks from the beginning. I'm usually the first one to throw stones at stupid things like this, but in this case I have to disagree.
Flag
I think that now that they've established contact with the grounders, disease will become more of an issue. Viruses usually need to be carried, usually by touch or close quarters. Sure, they could have been extra unlucky and come across a Rabies type virus that can cross species but they're not that common. Having said that, Octavia was definitely playing it fast and loose by sleeping with Lincoln and disease can go both ways! (And viruses mutate constantly, so what someone from the Ark calls a cold and what a grounder calls a cold could be two very different things. It's how the flu keeps making a comeback!
Flag
Staff
But couldn't you also argue the Earth they returned to was not the same Earth their ancestors came from and they're therefore not necessarily immune to THAT Earth?
Flag
I'd agree with you. Even someone who lived in the US all there life and visits Europe or something, they often times catch a bug.
Flag
Forgot to say - I actually wondered if Jasper, Finn and Octavia were completely immune to the virus because they'd all been treated with Grounder medicine at some point in the past that had altered their immune systems.
Flag
That was my thought too, I'm surprised it didn't come up.
Flag
Wow, good catch! I didn't think about that. You're ritght, their immunity was different than the others, who had to overcome it. Wonder if they'll address that and if it'll come back to bite them.
Flag
Yeah, I want more Lincoln, hope he's not gone for too long or worse, for good. That's where the show is doing romance well - even though they were only together for a few episodes, I bought into his and Octavia's romance, and I'm equally invested in Jasper's obvious feelings for her.

I second that the relationship between Bellamy and Clarke continues to be very interesting, too.

As for Finn, I like him a lot now, now that there's more to his character than being involved in this triangle between Raven and Clarke - but I agree that that drama continues to be the least interesting thing about him, and that I, too, still don't really feel that there's much between him and Clarke.
Flag
Yea. He and Octavia's "romance" is so believable.

I wish I had their dream relationship. All I need to do is kidnap some injured girl, be a part of a group that kills her friends, and lock her up without talking to her. Than, when her friends come to rescue her, I should just stab one with a poisoned weapon, refuse to help figure out how to fight said poison, and then reveal I could have talked to the girl the entire time I had her locked up... but didn't.

What an epic romance. Right?
Flag
I mean..he's hot so that's all moot
Flag
Haha. I was waiting for someone to respond with something like, "But... but abs..."

Honestly, I get that different people like different ships... but I just get so riled up by how this whole Octavia/Lincoln thing has transpired. It's not so much the ship as it is the ship's origins, and everything that's transpired since said origins.
Flag
Can I call you Snarkmeister? I agree that the premise of Lincoln and Octavia is hard to buy, but you have to admit the actors did a good job of it. To be fair Octavia has the attention span of the irradiated butterflies she is always playing with, so who knows how long it would have lasted anyway?!
Flag
Haha..I'm glad you got that I was being lighthearted.

I actually agree with you, guys that do weird/crazy shit over girls actually really irks me. In real life, those kind of guys are dangerous and girls will often not realize it because they think "he acts like that because he likes me soo much"

It is insane and I think you see that represented by Bellamy's reaction towards their relationship.
Flag
LOL! Rude, but funny!
Flag
This show makes its characters face the consequences of their actions. This show is on the CW. Should I belt in for the Apocalypse?! Just kidding, but if am stunned to see real world in show consequences. You banish psychoboy and he comes back like a particularly malevolent two-faced penny. PTSD shoot out of grounders? That lands you with a virus laden Trojan Murphy! Wonderful!
Flag
My thoughts on this episode:
-Agree, definitely need more Monty time! He's a great character.
-When Jasper called that girl low hanging fruit, that was HARSH.
-I think Abby and other survivors (including evil wanna-be Chancellor lady) survived the crash and were taken by the mysterious Mountain Men.
-My Bellamy tolerance is so low, I barely make it through the episode. I loathe that no one is ever allowed to point out his past errors and mistakes (of which there are almost THOUSANDS) but he constantly verbally attacks everyone around him and implies mistakes even where there weren't any (ie with basically any suggestion Finn makes, despite the fact those ideas are almost always more sound than any of Bellamy's). Frankly, if I was Finn I would probably have shot Bellamy by now. He's the worst kind of bullying personality. "Dishes it, but can't take it" pretty much sums him up. For example, his attitude to Murphy - the monster he created when he gave him power and watched him constantly abuse it, remember? Doesn't he also remember that his pivotal decision to let everyone string up Murphy just as a crowd pleaser was a major factor kickstarting the whole mess? Once again, Bellamy's blame is erased from the story, just like always.
-I wish they'd give Raven some people to hang out with. She always seems so separate.
-Bellamy deciding Finn and Jasper would ruin the job was hilarious, since he ruins every job allocated to him, yet somehow everyone keeps pretending he doesn't...
-This week's episode was the most I've liked Octavia so far. I want Octavia and Clark to be better friends.
-I'm a hopeless romantic; Finn catching Clarke was, let's face it, swoon-worthy. I don't think it can be dismissed a reflexive when Raven's screaming "nooo!" in the background and everyone's carefully keeping their distance from the diseased. Plus, he walked forward to catch her. Someone risking a horrible, vomity bloody death like that is quite the compliment.
-Speaking of which, saw bloody vomiting on others twice this week strangely enough, it was in Penny Dreadful too, the chick with consumption vomited blood on Dorian Gray during sex. Let's hope it's a tv trend that doesn't catch on...!
-Love the promo for next week and Grounder Anya's continuing blinkered perspective that makes everything The 100's fault. She's blaming them for the kid getting injured when they blew up the bridge? Injured while they were crossing with the intent of murdering the whole camp?? She should totally marry Bellamy, they're a perfect match. They could rewrite history together.

More+
Flag
But we already know that Bellamy is really, really messed up. The writers have done a good job of showing this AND how he got to be this way.

Sometimes he irritates me - like when he stubbornly blocks really reasonable Clarke or Finn plans but since he didn't do that this episode I was good with him.

The one place where he was irritating was when he wanted to shoot Murphy. But as it turns out he is right. Murphy is bad news.
Flag
I'll be unpopular and say that I'm glad Murphy is back! He's a wildcard at this point considering everything he's been through and done. Who knows what's going on in that twisted mind? Looks like he's on a vengeance path and so far no one suspects. He might be planning on taking out most if not all of the Hundred for what they did to him.
Flag
Staff
If Murphy had never come back, I'd have been cool with it, but since he IS back, I am definitely looking forward to him being a wildcard and causing drama.
Flag
Oh btw, I'm shipping Raven and Murphy. XD
Flag
Well, he didn't kill her when he had the chance -- so that's a good starting point, right?
Flag
This was by faaaaar the weakest and my least favorite episode of the shows young history. Didn't help that I was trying to eat my breakfast either....

The last few episodes were so strong, that I'll give this one a pass. Not sure about what I saw from next week, so I'll be patient and wait n see..
Flag
I don't think the ep was that bad, but as you say "The last few episodes were so strong" that this one was a bit of a let down. I would say that it was even meant to be maybe philosophical and what not... but somehow it didn't cut it! Pity, they miscalculated... it misfired? Like one of those old bullets from the shelter LOL.
Flag
I don't think Clarke said 14 died from that virus. 14 of them have died since they landed on Earth.
Flag
Oh that is a good point... will have to re-watch that bit then... hold on...
-----------------
Well let's see! Clarke says "14 graves" and looking at the scene I can count at least 7 and they look fresh... But it's unclear really! 14 graves plus the kid that jumped to her death?
I have just tweeted @elizabethcraft if I am extremely lucky she might answer...
Flag
Oh btw, I love how amazing the women on this show are. I love Clarke, Raven and Octavia. Especially Clarke and Raven - They need to become friends, I already see the start of it. They respect and care about each other.

They were so badass in this episode. Loved that shot of Clarke shooting the gun to shut everyone up.
Flag
Really great episode. I agree that it's only natural for your gut reaction to catch someone who's about to fall. Who wouldn't hesitate about the thought of getting yourself blown up? I don't fault anyone for thinking about it for a few second. I mean...LOL.

ABBY'S NOT DEAD. I refuse to believe it. She'll be back for the finale, I'll bet on it.

Wonder if their going to use more bombs in the future... BTW how is Raven still able to make bullets whenever they want. Where is she getting the materials?

The writers need to just stop with Finn and Clarke. I never see anyone rooting them. Nobody ships them. Everyone sees the much better potential for Bellamy and Clarke. Now that would be interesting. They're already the most interesting relationship on the show, romantic or not.

I think it's about the time the main women start interacting more and becoming friends.
Flag
Raven won't be able to make more bullets. In this ep they said that they are out of gunpowder. They found a cache of ammo at that supply dump but many of the bullets were duds (gunpowder was expired) -- so she had been redistributing the powder in the live rounds. Now she won't be able to do that anymore.

This is why at the end Monty's gun only has three bullets in it. They are having to ration the bullets.

I hesitated when Bellamy asked who was going to plant the bomb because 1) He never asks, he always tells and 2) He clearly wasn't willing to do it himself.

All of these seemed strange. It also didn't seem fair to me that after all that work assembling the materials for the bomb that Raven would even be on the table as a choice to plant it.

You'd logically think that Bellamy would choose one of his peons to do the work. So, I took Finn's hesitation (which I didn't notice at the time) as part of thinking about all of that.

Catching Clarke was more natural, though the fact that he was so intent on her was telling.

I'm fine with Finn and Clarke or Finn and Bellamy or both -- perhaps a new triangle? I don't care that much about the character's romantic entanglements.
More +
Flag
I agree with a lot you said, though I ship Bellamy and Clarke but I want it to take a few seasons. Clarke is into Finn right now, and as it has only been about 3 weeks on Earth, she should be able to play with him for awhile. What I really find fascinating is what will happen to the kids when they realize that no-one from the Ark is ever coming down?! Will the show be able to create an outpost, a town for them to live in? Will they be able to trade with and form a symbiotic relationship with the grounders? Or will it devolve into " Oh this is the monster/problem/dangerous animal we have to fight this week!"
In other words will it stay complex and find an interesting, dramatic way to build a society ( I love the idea of Clarke and Bellamy sitting down with some grounders in a Founding Fathers type episode! Of course, that is just me and I'm weird.) or is it just going to become a survival procedural where every few weeks the characters switch partners. God, I hope it stays good.
Flag
"It also didn't seem fair to me that after all that work assembling the materials for the bomb that Raven would even be on the table as a choice to plant it."

Well the bomb was her idea, she got all the ingredients, she prepared the bomb, in my opinion since she is the one that knows how that really works it is only natural for her to plant it. The second part of the plan, shooting at it that's different.

When you are a tech/mechanic and you have an idea to modify a system you follow through with all the process, including testing the prototype or new piece of machinery...
Flag
I see what you're saying but given their situation, another way to look at it would be that Raven is too valuable to the group to risk on that mission. She's the only one who knows how to do many things that could keep them alive.

The instructions needed to place and set the bomb were pretty simple. As long as the assigned person didn't trip and break it (which Raven nearly did) they should be able to carry it off.
Flag
I wasn't crazy bout this episode, still really like the show...but I agree that Raven is being a little ridiculous...Finn saved her, and she's like, "thanks, I'm breaking up with you."
Flag
I'm glad that she broke up with him. I don't necessarily agree with her assessment but he does clearly have feelings for Clarke and that makes continuing to be Finn's girlfriend untenable for her. I get that.

Frankly, I prefer that she break up with him now (MATURE) vs. that she fight Clarke to the death for him or continue to scowl every time she sees Finn talk to Clarke (which he needs to do for the sake of the community).
Flag
I disagree. The love triangle went on long enough and was boring in the first place.

She knew their past relationship wasn't working anymore for several episodes now so she just needed any reason to break up. It wasn't ridiculous it was just that she doesn't want to be second fiddle in Finn's affections so she breaks it up and not just stays with him because he saved her.

Staying with Finn just because he saved her would have been very weak and self deception.

She has been a cool character and her not being tied down in the love triangle can only further that because she can cease the moping about.
Flag
I think Raven had her fill of ambiguous looks from Fin LOL. I feel a tad sad for the character since it was probably her very first love, but... carry on woman!
Flag
I agree with you, and I'm so tired of everyone bad mouthing Clarke! Clarke and Raven are both fabulous, but watching Clarke and Bellamy's moral, ethical, and emotional struggles to keep everyone alive are my favorite part of this show. That said, Clarke and Raven should find a coffee plant, grind some beans and have some awesome chats.
Flag
So I am not scared of a little blood or anything. But that one girl straight up vomiting blood into people's faces made me go eeeewwwwwwwwwww.
Flag
So who is keeping count by the way? Are we down to 80? Or something like that?

Flag
Staff
Depends on whether or not Clarke meant 14 people have died since they arrived or 14 people died from the virus. Need to rewatch the episode to figure it out.
Flag
Yeah, just did and I feel it's like 50-50 because those graves look very fresh to me... but I am not sure.
Flag
The writers of this show need to appear on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" :D Who blows a bridge by placing a bomb on the bridge? and what did they accomplish really.. it looked like a small bridge and certainly there are other ways to get to the camp.. It's not as if they are on an island !
Flag
They did it to buy themselves more time. They said so in the episode, that at the most, they'll be able to slow down the grounders from coming to their camp as well as hopefully make them think that The 100 have a few more bombs lying around.
Flag
Yea. The bomb placement had me laughing; however, if the explosive used is strong enough, would that make up for the terrible placement?

I mean, if you dropped a nuke on a bridge you wouldn't need to hit any of the bridge's support structures to take it out. So, maybe the ordinance they were using was strong enough to blow the bridge without needing to be placed strategically?
Flag
The placement they used was the kind of placement you'd use to kill a large number of people versus blow up the bridge. But there wouldn't have been that much drama and logistically the shoot would have been harder if they'd done it from under the bridge.

The chemical they used hydrazine is real (used in jet fuel) and is unstable, flammable and actually very toxic (so Raven touching it with her bare hands, probably not a good idea).
Flag
The blast looked quite powerful but sadly they didn't show the result of the explosion... So I guess we have to assume that a really powerful bomb built out of a bottle of hydrazine can do that..
Flag
I did keep wondering why she kept going further on the bridge (I decided to blame her fever and that she didn't have a clear idea where she actually was).
Flag
I still don't understand why she took the bomb -- maybe she was planning to kill herself/sacrifice herself because Finn doesn't love her enough anymore.

I also chalked up the decision ultimately to fever delerium.
Flag
Yeah, I figured as she cited Finn's hesitation at taking the bomb later as sort of the impetus to breaking up with him, her fever delirium took it in a different direction. Just the POV angle and her expression, I have been there. The worst flu I've ever had was around winter finals freshmen year of college and there was a huge snowstorm and they had relaxed parietals (our rules to keep boys and girls apart) and collapsed the few remaining of us who had last day finals into my dorm. We put together a movie night and then security said we had to move our cars (the whole day was shuffling our cars around). Me and one of my guy friend were the only ones left and while I was clearly sick, it wasn't a big whoop sitting on a couch in our dorm common area. However, as we were walking I suddenly grabbed his arm and could not stand up right anymore and the whole world became very narrow. I don't actually remember anything after that, but apparently he picked me up and just moved both of our cars and returned me to my dorm room. The only reason I remember any of this is that it freaked him out to no end and he would always talk about the incident (generally when I would otherwise refuse help on something or another)
More +
Flag
Erm I don't know why I expected a little bit more from this ep...

Ok so they resolved the main triangle but I really feel for Raven...

They made a point of showing us just a couple of skeletons here and there and of course that does not look like the ship blew but one bit of the main ARK that came crashing down... we'll have to wait I guess...

Murphy is annoying, I hope we get rid of him quickly before he kills more people in their sleep LOL.

I missed getting news from the Ark...

Flag
I theorize you were hoping for more because for the next little while this and Orphan Black are like the only new shows on.
Flag
LOL... your premise is partially true...
Flag
They needed more action like this:

The Third Battle Paschendale was nasty....
Flag
Reading the comments, i thought i was the only one who didn't like Clarke at all. They shoved her down on us from the beginning like she was going to be the one in charge and the most responsible but honestly whenever i see her in such position it just looks unnatural and contrived. And also, seriously, do we really need all these love stories mess. CW has always a way to advance a female character by attaching her romantically to a male; It's one of their most common used formulas. I like Octavia and i know she can do much more than falling in love with some boy. The show is still enjoyable but it's also mostly irritating.

And i still can't believe they Killed Wells and guys like Finn is still alive.
Flag
She's actually my favorite character. I don't like Finn/Clarke but that's not because of Clarke. It's because I find Finn to be the weakest link in the cast and their relationship is too rushed.
Flag
I agree with you again! Clarke is my favorite character too. I am actually enjoying the show as a whole. I didn't think that was possible with a CW show!
Flag
Clarke has been my favorite character up until recently. I also like Bellamy as a character, though as a person the character is fairly messed up -- makes him interesting to watch.
Flag
Be prepared it sounds like Bellamy and Clarke will have some upcoming disagreements! Should be fun!
Flag
I made a comment a long time ago about this very thing. I got nothing against Clarke, but Wells was an awesome protagonist. From the beginning he knew what needed to be done to survive and knew how to be an effective leader. Clarke had been too focused on going on missions and whatnot and while she did that enabled Bellamy's rise to power and caused the issues they have today. I get the desire to want to get food and supplies from that supposed base, but order needs to be established first and Wells understood that.

He was the one I was most behind. Killing him wasn't a bad move necessarily, but I just wish he was one of the chief protagonists because I liked him from the start.
Flag
I read an interview with the show's creator where he was saying killing Wells was more about showing that even the son of the Chancellor, the most powerful man on the Ark, could suddenly die.
Flag
Did you know Wells wasn't supposed to die.? They were really going to kill Jasper off, but they ended up liking the actor so much they changed their minds. They wanted to kill a main character to show us that anyone can die, so they had to pick someone else to kill off. Poor Wells died so Jasper could live.

I would have loved to see Wells and Clarke as a team.
Flag
Jasper could have gone as far as I'm concerned. But he is the most teenage character and so maybe for that demographic he had to stay.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members