A The 100 Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning February 1, 2017)

The 100 S01E11: "The Calm"

I'm going to be honest, "The Calm" was not my favorite episode of The 100. Or my second favorite. In fact, I'd place it near the bottom of the list. It's not that it was a particularly bad outing for the show, it's more that it was a pretty straightforward set-up episode for the final two hours of the season, and those can become tedious as you watch the gears turn and wait for everything to fall into place. But I suppose we knew this would happen, with an episode title like "The Calm." You know, as in "the calm before the storm." And now that Finn's been taken off to die, Monty's been captured (maybe?), and Clarke is strung up in a tree, I'd say we're definitely in for some serious bananapants stuff next week with the Grounders. 

As for what transpired this week—Clarke and Finn were kidnapped, and Clarke was forced to perform yet another makeshift surgery—it wasn't boring per se, but it felt a bit repetitive after nearly a whole season of Clarke playing Doogie Howser to the Hundred. This time she was forced to save the life of a young Grounder who was injured in last week's bombing of the bridge. When Clarke asked Dichen Lachman's Anya WTF a young girl was doing out on the bridge, Anya informed Clarke that that's how the Grounders train their kind to be warriors. Pushing young men and women into battle to teach them how to fight makes about as much sense as throwing them into the pool to teach them how to swim, but it's not necessarily surprising, is it? That's exactly what the Hundred have been doing all season long—learning how to survive after being dropped into a series of life-or-death situations. Maybe it seems silly to us as viewers that the Grounders would force people to fight without any guidance, but the Grounders lead a rather primitive lifestyle. It's not as if they have boot camps for their soldiers to attend. Just as the Hundred have learned a few things since arriving on Earth, so too did the Grounders. So Clarke should be less judge-y, I think.

Clarke, of course, failed to save the young Grounder, which is why Finn was taken off to die—the Grounders clearly subscribe to the "eye for an eye" school of life—but what will the show do without its main hunk? Just kidding, Finn is going to be fine, y'all. As ballsy as it would be for the series—which has made a name for itself by killing pretty teenagers—I simply don't see the series offing its main male love interest. I can think of at least five reasons why I'd like to see it, because I think there's great potential for stories for both Clarke and Raven as a result of his death, but Finn's purpose on the show is much bigger than just what's in his pants. 

Finn is the show's resident optimist, and he's the sole outside force keeping Clarke from slipping completely into the savagery of the world they've come to live in. She's still more level-headed than Bellamy, but she's slowly leaning more and more toward his way of thinking. After Finn was taken off to meet his maker, Clarke easily slit the throat of a Grounder and then watched the life fade from his eyes in order to escape, so I'm not sure Finn's doing all that great in his charge as the angel on Clarke's shoulder, but she's also just becoming more realistic in her approach to life as she adapts to this new world. Finn refuses to acknowledge his worldview has no place in the world in which they live, but the show needs that. Without his rational thinking and confident hopefulness, the series (and Clarke) would probably fall head first into the darkness within.

Which brings me to Miles. The scenario in which The 100 has found itself after 11 episodes is one that doesn't necessarily happen too often. I'm not talking about when Clarke slit the Grounder's throat—though that certainly qualifies—I'm talking about when a series is limited in its location and cast and only focuses on a small handful of individuals, leaving everyone else to shuffle around awkwardly in the background or just out of frame. Lost was faced with the same situation, and it tried to introduce other survivors in Season 3, but the writers soon realized that no one really gave a damn about the new characters because A) viewers were already heavily invested in the established characters, and B) they were boring. That's how I felt when The 100 introduced the innocent-enough Miles this week.

We've already encountered several new faces on The 100, but up until this point, they were introduced as redshirts, dying quick, mostly meaningless deaths. The series didn't waste time developing them or forcing us to sit through painful exposition about how they haven't really had a chance to hang out with the leads since landing on Earth, because their characters served little purpose other than to illustrate just how dangerous this world is. Earlier this season, I complimented The 100's ability to take a previously unknown character on the Ark and turn him into a real character within the span of one episode, so that we felt his pain when he later sacrificed himself for his daughter. His death had some weight to it, in contrast to the teen deaths on Earth. The show has never given the ground characters the same courtesy.

We know there are still plenty of unnamed faces wandering around as Clarke and Finn spend each episode dealing with the newest problem to affect the Hundred, and we know why we haven't gotten to know them, but if the series wants us to care about new people when their numbers are inevitably called—and I feel like the fact that Miles survived "The Calm" means that we're are supposed to care about him—the writers need to work harder to smoothly introduce them. There's no need to awkwardly have him point out that he hasn't spent much time with Clarke and Finn, because that's obvious to anyone who's been watching the show, and also because the series could've used that time to let us get to know the real Miles, the one who got himself shot full of arrows. It's too late to do that for Miles, but I hope the series will do a better job with the next guy. It makes sense to not spend much time on a character if they're going to die in the same episode they're introduced in, but doing so would never be considered a bad thing, either.

We finally returned to the action of the Ark this week. Its presence was definitely missed last week, and I think by taking the time off at this point in the story, it actually hurt its credibility. I don't pretend to understand how the Ark's systems work or even how long the men and women of the Ark would have been able to survive as their oxygen levels continued to plummet without the CO2 scrubbers doing their thing, but if they're on the same timetable as the ground, then it's been a couple of days since the incident involving the exodus ship. Are we supposed to believe Kane was knocked out for that long? Are we supposed to believe Cute New Guy (who was he? Did anyone catch his name?) had his arm stuck in the door for several days? By focusing solely on the ground last week, the storylines feel out of sync. 

Despite the confusing timeline, what transpired this week in space was far more interesting than what happened on the ground, even though the show didn't spend much time there. Kane once again subverted my original expectations for his character as he continued to play the hero, rescuing men and women who were trapped, ignoring the Chancellor's orders to leave him for dead, and eventually making the risky climb through a very hot ventilation shaft to rescue more men and women, one of whom turned out to be Abby! No one really thought she was dead, right? At this point, I would watch a show only about the happenings on the Ark and with Kane as the lead. Henry Ian Cusick is doing so much with very little screen time, bringing a depth and gravitas to a character I never expected to love quite as much as I do. Honestly, if Chancellor Jaha died, I wouldn't be too upset if it meant a more prominent role for Kane. #TeamKane

Like I said, this was very much a setup episode, the last one before what will surely be an explosive and exciting finale as the Hundred do their best to rescue their comrades, while also protecting the small world they've spent at least a few weeks building when the Grounders attack. There's also the fact that there are now only 1,000 survivors on the Ark and they're all probably dealing with various degrees of oxygen depravation and facing the possibility of death. Next week's episode is titled "We Are Grounders - Part 1" and I can't wait to see what's in store, but I hope we'll at least continue to explore the politics of the Ark next week, too. I'd like to see the show really achieve a balance in terms of storytelling there, because while I do think its possible to have episodes that focus solely on what's happening on the ground, it's not making it easy to sync up the timelines when that happens.

VITAL STATS

– There was a discrepancy in the comments last week about the current number of survivors, and I meant to look into it more closely, but I forgot, so let's just say no one from the Hundred died this week and I'll hopefully have a better answer for you next week!

– How many little Bellamys are going to be running around in Season 2 when all the ladies he's been banging this season inevitably end up pregnant? This week, Raven attempted to numb the pain she felt as a result of Finn's feelings for Clarke by sleeping with Bellamy. I kind of wished he'd been like, "Yeah, no, girl. Put your clothes back on." But then he wouldn't be Bellamy. Remember, he's the guy who appeared to have a harem a few weeks ago. And Raven sleeping with Bellamy is only going to backfire, because it's only going to make her feel worse.

– "The air is a message!" I liked that Cute New Guy (seriously, what was his name?) was like, "Yeah, Kane, you're talking crazy talk right now." Also, for some reason I have the words Cute Boy Brigade in my notes re: Kane and this character, so I hope that continues.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

Next Episode

AIRS ON 2/1/2017

Season 4 : Episode 1

278 Comments
Comments (278)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This episode finally brought the ark storyline back. I don't mind them taking a week off, to build some suspense about what was going on up there. I don't have a problem with the timelines either, as the scenes could be viewed as bringing us up to date on what had been happening there. I DO have a problem with a few points of basic science though.

The power on the ark apparently went off during the lander launch. We know this because the lights were all off, and the air circulators and heaters had stopped working. This should NOT have caused the habitat ring to stop rotating though, as shown in the exterior shots. This rotation should have continued indefinitely due to inertia, until some force was applied to stop it. Stopping the ring's rotation, without tearing the whole structure apart, would take a controlled effort, applied over time. It would not happen as the result of a power failure. Did the show's creators think there was a big motor that needed to keep running to keep them spinning? And if it had stopped for some reason, the characters should have all been in zero-G, which they clearly weren't. It's supposed to be SCIENCE fiction. Why can't they hire someone who knows some basic science to advise them on details like this?
More+
Flag
The gravity thing really bugs me too. From the outside shots, it looks like maybe 10-15% of the station rotates, meaning the only part of the station that should have gravity based on the principals of the O'Neill Cylinder. Then when all motion stopped, for whatever reason, the entire station should have gone zero G.

At least Star Trek explained gravity in space by some mysterious device called "Gravity Plates" that when installed on the floor created a gravity environment.

One hour spent on Wikipedia could have given the writers enough basic knowledge to at least appear to be scientifically plausible.
Flag
Right. Science Fiction only works when you can suspend your disbelief in the "fiction", attributing certain impossible things to advanced future "science". When they get BASIC scientific principals wrong, things we've known about since the time of Isaac Newton, it makes suspension of disbelief nearly impossible.
Flag
Finn better not die
Flag
"...if they're on the same timetable as the ground, then it's been a couple of days since the incident involving the exodus ship."

I took this as a, "Meanwhile, back on the arc" sort of timeline where what we saw coincided with the events on the ground from last week and that it had only been a few hours since the arc's systems shutdown...though thinking back, I had no reason to think that other than, "Well of course they haven't been lying unconscious for several days."
Flag
#TeamKane all the way "bruthah" LOL

Yes, i feel that the Ark story lines are really good... is that because I am much older that the target audience? LOL

Let's see how this ends!
Flag
It sounds like this season ender will be the end of the Ark. I hope not as I enjoy the Ark stories and actors, plus I love the potential Deus ex machina story lines available with Ark technology!
Flag
Yeh I was wondering about the death toll too. Did they say 14 dead last week? (well some, if not all of them were killed by banished boy)

So is that 90 - 14 = 76 (plus 2, Raven and Bellamy) = 78?
Flag
And what about the overall death toll for the series so far? It must be one of the bloodiest first series ever, apart from BSG.

26 of the 100 + the 300 (?) who volunteered to die to save air + one or two floated + several Grounders + however many died in the Exodus drop ship (was meant to hold 700) + however many of those remaining on the Ark have died (did he say about half of 2,200 people?) = approx 2,000 people ???
Flag
I don't think Miles was meant to be anything but a glorified extra. I actually thought his initial little line "Did I ever tell you how I got on the prison" and then cutting away was a nice little writer joke acknowledging that yeah there are dozens of other people on the ground with their own stories, but we're not following them. He likely only survived solely so he could pass a message along to the others when they stumbled upon him. If he was meant to be a real character, he probably would have been taken too...or if he was meant to be anything but a plot device, he would have logically been killed by the Grounders, but then he wouldn't have been able to say that the others were captured when the rescue party came.
Flag
Forgot to say, I actually was thinking Lincoln might save Finn, weirdly enough.
Flag
Oh, and eventually I would quite like to see Kane and Bellamy have a sit down conversation. They're both carrying the guilt of being responsible for literally hundreds of people's deaths and it's a dynamic that I think could be very interesting. Season 2, maybe.
Flag
This was quite possibly my least favourite episode:

1. I find Finn so unlikable it's actually become distracting. It's got to the point where the Grounder threatened him and my instinctive reaction was 'yes, kill him please,' even though I know that's not likely. His scene with Raven at the beginning massively rubbed me up the wrong way.

2. It's a fictional show and almost all get these things wrong and Clarke isn't a doctor but still.. There was so much wrong with almost every medical thing she said this ep that I found suspension of disbelief a lot harder than usual. But that's my own personal issue and at least they didn't claim her actions saved the girl. I fixate on those issues more than the average viewer but I do still like Clarke.

3. Kane's been getting rather heroic. What a brilliant character he is. Welcome back, ark-storyline. Missed you.

Flag
Nope, I'm also bothered by the writers not being able to get very simple medical points correct. But like you, it somehow doesn't keep me from still liking Clarke.
Flag
I saw it too, Clarke was just spouting off things. Especially about the blood transfusion, the wrong type would kill the girl anyway. I find the adult characters more intersting especially Kane, he knows he was wrong but is trying to make amends, I thought he'd be the bad guy in the show and am gladly mistaken.
Flag
Okay, good. Glad it's not just me. I'm secretly hoping when Abbie gets to the ground she turns to Clarke and says, 'I appreciate you've been trying your best but what were you doing? This is all wrong! Maybe go back to being my helper.'
Flag
What really bothered me was the fact that Clarke thought about blood transfusion but nobody even attempted to do CPR when the girl stopped breathing.
Flag
so who else called red shirt as soon as miles came on the screen?
Flag
When they found him in the bushes I was like, hey, red shirts aren't allowed to live! But then when he opened his mouth to say one line that happened to be information essential to moving the plot forward, his survival was excused, lol.
Flag
maybe he'll get it in the next episode? lol
Flag
Okay, I'm going to put something out there and I want to know what you all think: Clarke.... And Bellamy?

Seriously, they are amazeballs together! They are trying to keep everyone alive and the way that Bellamy cares for her... I mean, if he's Adam, he clearly sees her as Eve: the spiritual "mom & dad" of the group. The ones who keep everything going. Who both carry the heavy burden of every decision, every loss. I couldn't care less about Finn, to be honest. Clarke-Raven-now Clarke again? All in barely two weeks or something? Whereas Clarke & Bellamy are slowly but surely really building something, a sort of tentative trust, possible of growing into something real. I can't stand instalove and Bellark seems like a good move for the show to make? Any thoughts?

Other than that: good episode, but I agree with the recap. Easily the "worst" yet - but the show has been amazing, so The 100's worst is still pretty damn good - especially with the ark not being included last week. I also don't buy people lying there for several days and that they're just now waking up. Just seems really far-fetched. And it's just plain old weird in this show, which has done everything possible so far to look believable. Oh well, I'm still totally hooked and I'm excited for next week!
More+
Flag
Your Adam and Eve thing is icky. We should be happy that we have a strong male character and female character that are working together (and acting more maturely towards each other every week) without having their stars-crossed, and on the CW no less! Honestly the romantic relationships on this show have been so poorly done to date why are you so eager to disrupt the very effective platonic and professional relationship Clarke and Bellamy have grown. It's so very important for TV to show non-romantic relationships between males and females, this is one of the few instances of it being done well, let's not jeopardise that.

Having said that I'm not complelely opposed to them get involved sometime in the distant future, that would be silly, but boy if they're going to go down that road they'd better earn it.
Flag
Poll

Flag
Yes I think Clarke & Bellamy should get together but like in season 3...
Flag
The throat-slitting was a very Jack Bauer moment for Clarke, the way she was shushing him as he died lol.
Flag
I believe they specifically said it's been two days since the Ark lost power. And the young engineer's name is Wick.
Flag
Staff
Thank you!
Flag
Agree that this was a messy episode, and more of a set-up for the finale two-parter than a solid stand alone.
So glad Abby's alive, but I heard a sitcom she's in got picked up. I hope they don't kill the character off :(
Kane could have lat least put a jacket on, or wrapped fabric around his sleeves, before crawling through burning pipes. It doesn't take a genius to cover bare skin when facing potential burns. Am I right?
The guy with his arm stuck in the door is the lady from Charmed's baker boyfriend on Pretty little Liars. (There's a sentence you don't see every day.)
If Finn's dead, I'm out. He's my favourite character. (I don't get into Bellamy and Raven because in real life those kind of personalities drive me up the wall.)
I liked Octavia the most I ever have in this episode. I also liked that Murphy kind of digs her. She has proven to be a consummate survivor.
What's interesting is that everyone seems to comment that romantic relationships 'weaken" the strong female characters. That seems to be a conundrum facing tv writers these days. I mean, they're teenage girls, in a reall-y scary situation and everyone's relying (for the most part) on people they don't know. I don't think romantic elements "weaken" a story. To be honest, I think they're extremely realistic. But it's odd that we see heroic female characters as "diminished" when they act, well, like emotionally inexperienced teenage girls. (Possibly too long/complex an idea for a comment, but hey.)
In reality, Raven's actually handling things pretty well. I like that they're not downplaying her pain. She has no family and from what she can tell, no real friends. Finn was literally IT, from childhood. She has no other connection to the world/life/people. Anyone whose ever seen a person "break" that kind of relationship (like Finn did) knows that one of them generally ends up on suicide watch. It's intense. So what we're seeing here is someone with nothing anchoring them. Sleeping with Bellamy was attractive, not just because Finn hates him, but also because that's the only way she's ever anchored herself to life - through a sexual connection. But it didn't work, & now she's got a lot to face... So I actually liked that writing.
I hope Monty's getting his own storyline, and not a death sentence. He's an interesting, under-utilised, character.
Loved the forest ending, it felt chaotic and having the characters in the dark really emphasised their isolation.
Agree that it's weird to think I spent the first half of the series hating Kane and wanting the Chancellor to float him, and now I wouldn't mind if he became Chancellor.
In all the drama at the end I almost forgot that guy saying all the kids would be dead the next day. OMG. Was going to say I can't wait till next week, but I think the wait between episodes 12 and 13 will be So. Much. Worse!
More+
Flag
Staff
The guy with his arm stuck in the door is the lady from Charmed's baker boyfriend on Pretty little Liars.

Holy crap. I did not realize it until you said that! Good eye!
Flag
It's my life skill, sadly. "Hey, that guy making the coffee had one line as a taxi driver seven years ago in Supernatural and also played a dead girl's father in Castle 3 or 4 seasons back". Only impresses people at parties who actually watch tv, lol.
Flag
Especially agree with your romance comments. It is human nature to form relationships (family, friends, and romance) and it would be weirder to not have them. It seems like some sci-fi fans are afraid they will get cooties if two characters start kissing or something. As a 'mature' CW viewer (not remotely close to the teeny bopper years), a little romance along the way is fine with me.
Flag
I agree, plus once the food and shelter situation is handled, sex really is the only entertainment they have. There is a reason that most kids were conceived in winter. Not a lot to do in snow storms, just sayin'.
Flag
I'm confused the last time we saw Abby she was on the doomed drop ship wasn't she?
Flag
Evidently, she got herself thrown off off-screen. Or escaped?
Flag
Maybe we should be thinking about incorporating soap opera rules for this show: if there's no dead body, the character ain't dead (yet)?
Flag
I liked this episode, Clark killed another person and it didn't seem to worrie her at all, like seriously no hesitation went into slitting a mans throat. " if you die can I have your shoes" :) I love that hot tech guy hope he sticks around.
Flag
Well, I liked the episode beacuse the prevoius one was just classic teen drama show.

Of course, return of the ARK story ark :) helped

Also, I lOVE when Clarke gets to be badass and slit throat without hesitation.
Flag
"Lost was faced with the same situation, and it tried to introduce other survivors in Season 3, but the writers soon realized that no one really gave a damn about the new characters"

Lost introduced new characters each of the first 4 seasons.
First, we got the beachers. In season 2, we met the tailies. In season 3, we met the Others, and in season 4, the Dharma crew.

Adding characters is actually one of the things Lost did RIGHT.
Flag
Staff
I was talking more along the lines of Nikki and Paulo re: the Lost comments. They were created specifically because fans wanted to know why the show didn't focus on the rest of the survivors.
Flag
I got you were referencing Nikki and Paulo. I think it's hilarious that their names have now become synonymous with horrible new characters that came out of nowhere. They both stuck out like a sore thumb.
Flag
Who made everyones clothes, fitting and stylish? Did they have a sweatshop on the Arch or are they hand me downs? These small, but huge, questions bug me into an uninterest of the set up. I actually think teenagers are way smarter than this bunch. They need to ask question, lay proper ground for survival and stop jumping eachothers bones. Unprotected sex, however the beuty of young people, usually always end up in pregnancy. Will "Teen Pregnancy" magically appear doing a reality show about teens 100 years after? Who knows. Shape up the story line, please. Get realistic,
Flag
Deep Space Nine was about to fall apart in space when that show premiered.

And you know what? That shithole still came with a good tailor. Doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

The space station has a little old lady growing marijuana on it. Someone making clothes isn't that strange.
Flag
Hahaha
Flag
Aww stop nitpickin'. You know almost all tv shows have tailor made wardrobes these days. the clothes fit perfectly. In fact men's shirts are so well fitted it seems the buttons with pop off at any moment.
Flag
I wondered about that, too. I could see the Ark having a clothing industry, which would turn out about 5 basic garments, from which the Arksters would choose. You certainly wouldn't dress your prisoners like they just stepped out of a 97-year-old mall... even if the rest of the Ark wasn't stuck with one-size-fits-all jumpsuits, the prison population would be.

If you didn't really believe that they could survive anyway, why send their clothes along with them? (I know, network television isn't quite ready for "the naked 100"... but the wardrobe department really should have been handed a MUCH easier job to do for this show.
Flag
Uhm, most of the clothes look ragtag to me, most jackets the 100 wear seem all the same or very similar with only color variation. Most stuff has holes and wear and tear in it, Clarke and others wears several different kind of stockings and stuff thrown together.

Sure, it looks stylish but certainly not fresh out of the mall and also not a lot of variation in there other for things the kids apparently did to their clothes themselves to make it look cool or stuff being broken.
Flag
Oh and just remembered:
a) the 100 apparently had their standard clothes in the cells so they probably just have no prison clothes and don't waste thought about it

b) They got additional clothes before thrown into the dropship so while the adults are harsh in their laws they were simply not assholes thinking the survival chances are 0%
Flag
Yes, I think people have one outfit (additional clothing if you're a guard) that they just keep getting repaired.

I agree, I don't think they issue special prison clothes. People wear their one outfit in there, too.

The Ark wouldn't have sent the kids down at all if they thought there was 0% chance of survival. If there was to be hope, however, the kids would need clothing, so they sent them in what they were wearing. I don't think they got extra clothes.

Remember that the Ark leaders' plan was to monitor the kids with the bracelets to see if any of them would die from radiation poisoning (which isn't usually instant). You can't do that if they die of exposure first.

Re clothing industry: Remember that Bellamy and Octavia's Mom's job appeared to be seamstress and most of her work involved repairing existing clothing.

It isn't unrealistic to have clothing last for 97 years. If the original Ark residents each had three outfits for example these could be mended and repurposed repeatedly and augmented with clothing made from any other materials they could find (tarps, industrial materials).

Mending is almost a lost art now, but many of our ancestors would have had clothes for years and years and just kept mending them.

The thing that would stretch incredulity for me is that (and the representation probably isn't realistic given the conditions on the Ark) the Ark residents are shown as coming in all kinds of shapes and sizes -- that would be harder to accommodate with existing clothing.

Style doesn't necessarily equate to efficiency of use when it comes to using fabric. There are creative, zero-waste ways of cutting familiar garments like pants and shirts. So, the Ark residents, if they do make new clothing could well copy existing styles efficiently rather than resort to jumpsuits. In terms of efficiency, they'd have choices.

At any rate, I think the costume choices for the show were strategic, if impractical. We're supposed to get that reference to the past; that the kids are surviving off tattered left-overs in a post-apocalyptic world.
More +
Flag
I don't think any of the sexy times will lead to pregnancies.

It's possible, given their restricted diets and living conditions, that none of the ladies are in a good enough biological condition to actually get pregnant....... maybe? I mean it's a reasonably scientific way to explain why nobody gets pregnant.

I hope to God nobody gets pregnant. Unless it's some random background character and we don't have to deal with it week in week out.
Flag
"I hope to God nobody gets pregnant."

It seems likely that they have contraception implants. Since the penalty for too many children is death, I'm guessing parents would get their kids fitted at the first sign of puberty.

Of course, contraception implants wear off with time...
Flag
What you're saying is totally reasonable which is why I think what they've presented to us doesn't make much sense.

You can't have the punishment for having an extra child be death because the Ark can't support extra people and then leave family planning up to the individual.

This is why the whole Octavia story doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The hidden child, her floated Mom and the responsibility for her that her brother feels are really compelling -- but just doesn't seem like something that would really happen given the rest of the story.
Flag
I know it's a teen show and teen fans are generally told pregnancy is bad, but these people are fresh off the ark, literally. Unless the show plans on all 100 dying, "be fruitful and multiply" isn't just a good idea, it's the law (of survival). :-)

Oh, speaking of that, the 100 are dying a little faster than one per show on average. I can't imagine the cast is looking forward to their series' 100th episode milestone.
Flag
Lol, the rehearsal for episode 99 will be the writer's saying to Bellamy and Clarke (as the only surviving cast), "So, it's time - one of you has to go before we hit the 100th episode".
Flag
Apologies but "good enough biological condition"?
While this is not the venue for discussing the facts of life, I do suggest that the 100 could easily become the 100+1
Flag
Given the lack of midwives, obstetricians, and antibiotics, there's a good chance a pregnancy ends with the population going down by one.
Flag
Well, Bellamy is practically a midwife. : )

Unless there are complications, birth is a pretty straightforward process. And they seem to have clean water now, so that's a plus.
Flag
"Unless there are complications, birth is a pretty straightforward process."

Back in the days of yore, a LOT more women died in childbirth. And most of the kids didn't make it, either.
Flag
Low body fat % can have an impact on your fertility. Usually this would be due to being super fit, exercise also affects your hormones. In this situation though it'd be down to poor diet and exposure and other factors that would result in the body knowing it's not capable of carrying a pregnancy so it doesn't allow one.
They'd have to be really hard up, food wise, for this to happen, but it is a get out of jail free, or un-pregnant, card if they felt they needed a way to explain why nobody gets pregnant.
Flag
Well, it's only been a little under two weeks, right? But I think it is definitely weird that the pregnancy/birth control issue has never been addressed esp. since an important part of the plot was the Ark's one child policy.

You're right about the impacts on fertility you mentioned but people are also adaptable and conditions on Earth are actually better for the 100 than they were on the Ark where food and water were strictly rationed. On Earth, they've had some relative feasting, they can drink lots of water (I think they were limited to only a few ounces a day on the Ark) and even snack (remember Bellamy with the apple).

In real life, it may be just the time when many people's fertility, before this point dormant because of hardship, would come online.
Flag
Oh, Raven :( You don't go to bed with Bellamy. That guy is like STDs reservoir. Also chances are you're pregnant now.
Flag
( and boys and girls have whispered thus and so) and girls with boys to bed will go. Sigh. Hopefully Raven has gotten that out of her system and can settle down to being awesome with real story lines to enact!
Flag
I am really starting dislike Finn. He is stunting Raven's character, she's seems cool and capable, the type of girls a lot of guys fall for, this storyline is turning her into the girl who was dumped because she isn't as special as the "main girl"

Flag
Finn just simply didn't care that Raven had dumped him, he was already trying to be friends with her again which annoyed me. I mean give the girl some space, she's actually upset about your break up. Then after he stopped bothering Raven he went straight back to trying to flirt with Clarke decided it'd be a good idea to go off on a hunting mission with her and the extra.
Flag
I agree, he's doing that trying to have your cake and eat it too thing. He needs to let go.
Flag
Finn is on drugs! As cute as Clarke is, Raven is a friggen Unicorn! That elusive non-existant girl you find only once in a lifetime.
Flag
Agree, Raven can do better than Finn anyway. I don't like the way they weaken her character, in actual life she would be killing it in the guy department.
Flag
I agree that this episode was definitely not at the levels of the other episodes. I hope that Finn is dead, but I really hope that Monty doesn't die because I want to get to know his character better. But, his comments to Raven about his family make me think that in the next episode either we will find out that he is dead, or see him die.
Flag
To me, this was another exciting episode. I am really glad we finally saw Abby. I knew she was not dead but I am still happy we get to see her.

I liked Raven too and her actions in this episode make sense. I think both Bellamy and her will put it behind them.

I know many are team kane now. For me still not so much.

I just did not buy this part. Okay perhaps he is not the hungry for power guy I thought he was or maybe he was but he changed. Still to make him a hero that was willing to sacrifice his life for others so fast is just weird.

This guy was willing to kill hundreds of people just a few episodes ago.
Flag
I think he was hungry for power because he was SURE he was the person who could save the human race. His goal has always been saving humanity, he was just super-pragmatic and assumed to save a small group you'd have to sacrifice the majority. So saving the Arc survivors is actually in character, it's just that Kane's perspective is a bit different.
Flag
I think the fact that he was so gung-ho about killing so many people and then finding out he was wrong after they had already died is what changed him so much. I can't imagine knowing the deaths of hundreds of people are on your shoulders when they didn't have to be not changing you..
Flag
I agree that his regret/guilt has impacted him greatly. Kane thought his actions were justified. He thought his executions were righteous kills. Now he knows different. If he had only listened and believed, then some deaths could have been avoided. Now he is trying to make up for that.
Flag
I guess both of you are right. Perhaps they did not spend much time on it and did not leave a lasting enough impression on me to feel the impact.
Flag
No they didn't spend much time on Kane's change of heart, but that's seems to be the norm for this show. Every sub plot and characterization moves at lightning speed. If Jack Bauer were a character on this show he would have saved the President 20 times by now ; )
Flag
Read the first lines of this review, "I'm going to be honest, "The Calm" was not my favorite episode of The 100. Or my second favorite. In fact, I'd place it near the bottom of the list." And then I stopped,In my opinion this was the best episode so far, and I am finally looking forward to the next one.
Flag
I didn't dislike the episode, but I do understand what Kaitlin means, the 100 has had so many really strong episodes that I felt were better - this one felt like a filler episode. I'm excited to see what happens next week!
Flag
I can't wait to find out what Monty saw and where he's at. Whatever it was was jamming their radio signals.

I'm with everyone who loves the new Cute Guy! He has changed the mood on the Ark for the better. They were a little too uptight.
Flag
I think the Mountain men use radios.
Flag
There are several things I like about the show. One of them is that no matter what Clarke does that could possibly build a constructive relationship with the Grounders, it backfires and only makes things worse.

This time it was a makeshift surgery. For a moment I thought she would save the Grounder girl and that would build temporary peace to the situation, but no. The girl died, and when Clarke was being guarded by a warrior that actually admired her, so he didn't seem to be that bad as a person, she ended killing her. And now Anya wants Finn dead. I thought it wasn't possible to make things worse, but they are now.

I like Clarke as a character. She's calm and composed, but not afraid to do what has to be done, or at least she's learning to be that way. She's strong without being aggressive, totally unlike Raven. And, also unlike Raven, she's concerned with important things, now with that silly love triangle. I'd say the writers made a good choice there for protagonist.

On the other hand, Raven seems to be the character writers created to make the girls crazy. She's so "cool and awesome." She oozes forced coolness and awesomeness. Even her name is cool and awesome. And she's sexually in control. Just what the target demographics wants. But if that were toned down a few notches, the character would be much less of a cliche.

Her scenes with Bellamy are a typical example. When told Finn and Clarke are still missing, she rolls her eyes, just to remind us someone still cares about the silly love triangle. I mean, she does. Then she wants to leave, and Bellamy advises her not to and she goes, "I do what I want. You don't tell me what to do," in a typical rebellious teen fashion that talks back to her parents. Wow, so strong and independent! Really?! And finally she says she has only been with Finn her whole life, but sexually behaves like she sleeps with a different guy every week. She certainly wasn't shy about it.

In the Ark, we finally got to know what happened after the forced departure of the Exodus ship. And Kane is turning out to be our new hero.

Kane: "How can I reach the other section?"
Random New Guy: "Through that shaft. But it'l be unbearably hot."
Kane: "I have to save the chancellor. I'll go. Now... Where's my cape?"

One last thing. I really don't think Diana is dead. I mean, she's too good a villain to kill off, and off screen! No, sir, she's alive, and plotting something very nasty which only serves her own interests.
More+
Flag
Re sexuality, I was thinking that I remember when it wasn't assumed in teen shows that everyone was sexually experienced and having sex and someone's first time might be part of a the storyline. But with this show I don't even know if Jasper and Monty are virgins. I'm not being judgy about it, but it just makes for a very different landscape -- as others have said, they are late 20 and 30 somethings playing teens who in many ways act like 20 somethings.
Flag
I can't stand Raven for shutting Finn down when he wanted to talk out the love triangle. I know she has her issues and this is very nitpicky of me, but it would have solved so many problems if she'd just bucked up and dealt with the fact that Finn wasn't obligated to love her.
But of course, she's a teenager so I guess she sort of gets a pass. Eh.
Flag
That's a thing, you know. Is she really a teenager? I mean, she's not part of the The 100 group. Was it ever stated that she is a teenager? I always thought she was a young adult, older than the so-called "kids."
Flag
I think she is supposed to be the same age as Finn. Abby did mention she was the youngest zero g mechanic in 50 years. Just because she was not with the original 100 doesn't mean she's not a teenager, it just means she didn't get arrested for breaking the rules.
Flag
I think that's still a little vague.
Flag
Old enough to have a job, and to be good at it. Not a teenager.
Flag
Maybe all the Ark teens have jobs, especially the working class ones who aren't studying or apprenticing further.

It would seem really wasteful to have functional people sitting around, eating and breathing the air but not contributing.
Flag
I agree with everything you just wrote. Awesome.
Flag
Me too. Those were good observations mad-pac posted. I especially agree with the comments about Raven's character being crafted with that sort of fake coolness. It reminds me of Faith in BtVS. I always found the Faith character a bit over exaggerated...but many fans seemed to prefer her over Buffy because she wasn't bound by morals. Personally, I prefer when characters struggle with morals and inner turmoil....which is why I find Clarke such an interesting study.
Flag
Interesting, considering I'm not in the target demographics. I thought I'd hear a lot of backlash from Raven fans. Something tells me she is a fan favorite.

Anyway, the important thing is that the show is in the right direction. I used to watch The Tomorrow People and was sad to see it go, but ultimately the network made the right decision.
Flag
I too thought they were finally having some peace with the grounders and it got worse surprisingly ! Kane is becoming a hero ? ! This show sure have enough twist.
Flag
Oh, one more thing. Not much Octavia this week. But we all have to admit that the little she was in, Octavia was smoking hot! See what I did there?
Flag
Word Play Award goes to... mad-pac!
Flag
Haha, yes, I've been thinking about the birth control problem as well. Another thing that came to mind this week: they don't really have clean underwear, do they? (Yes, I know I should not be thinking about this kind of stuff, but I guess I have to agree with Kaitlin here: this was not my favorite episode and I found myself distracted a couple of times.)

I finished the first book last weekend and I have to say, I think the series is much more interesting than the book (which is a rare thing to say). The book, for instance, doesn't have Raven. And even though all she seems to be focused on is Finn, I still really like her character. There seems to be a lot more to her than just the smart tough girl.

Also, the book doesn't focus on the adults, and their storyline continues to captivate me. Kane is a badass. Hope we will see more of his development. Also, Grounder Anya really intrigues me. And Cute Guy was awesome.

Anyways, I do think the episode set things up nicely for the final two episodes, so I am definitely looking forward to that!
Flag
They do have water and soap is easy to produce, so in theory they could be washing their clothes even though their general grubbiness doesn't hint of this.

I know my thoughts when Bellamy and Raven took off their clothes were "Wow, their bodies are way more clean than they should be in those clothes and for the way they've been living."

I could smell the raw meat and smoke on Octavia this episode. Definitely not sexy : )
Flag
I swear Clarke's found a push-up bra somewhere in the forest since she landed.
Flag
Which brings to mind another question: do you think they used to eat meat on the Ark? We've never seen animals there...
Yes I am overthinking this again. :)
Flag
I doubt it. I thought they ate some kind of nutritional wafer or tablet.
Flag
Ok I have a problem with the comments regarding Raven. Her deciding to leave the camp or hooking up with Bellamy is not a sign of weakness. She is still a strong character that is trying to deal with how drastically her life has changed in a matter of weeks. That's a lot to take in at once, and just wanted to escape the situation. I also think Finn could have given Raven some space, but instead he hovered over her forcing her hide her feelings. Talk about behaving like a bunch of teenagers...wait they are teenagers!
I have hope that some of what's left of the survivors make it down to earth, however I'd like to see them land in a completely different part of the world. Then you have the challenge of reuniting with the others as well as introduce other tribes with cultural differences.
I thought the way the Grounders initiate their tribe members was very much like a gang. The marks they get for each kill, like when a gang member gets a tattoo of a teardrop. It made me think that perhaps these particular Grounders are decended from a more criminal ancestry.
Flag
I agree with you about Raven not being a weak character. I don't think I personally would have tried to exorcise the ghost of my ex by hooking up with another guy, but though this was maybe rash, it made sense in the context.

In real life, there would always be the risk that the guy you hook up with after the hook up no longer takes you seriously or that interactions between you get awkward, but I don't think that's where the writers are going with Raven and Bellamy.
Flag
Agreed, I think Bellamy knew exactly what Raven was trying to do but was very up front about his position. He basically said he was not going to get dragged into her drama with Finn, but not going to say no to a little fun in the sack either as long as she understood where he stands. In fact they were very matter of fact about it. And I don't see him losing respect for her either because I think he gets where she's coming from. In stressful situations you just need to let off a little steam ;-)
Flag
I think more than going for a little fun that he was willing to sleep with Raven because she was so determined and maybe because he was trying to help her (by getting Finn out of her system or by getting her to realize that she would have to find another way to move on).

Bellamy is sometimes a dick, but you didn't get the sense this time that he was taking advantage of Raven or getting anything more out of it than a physical release (there wasn't a lot of joy or fun there on either side).

At base, despite the screwed up elements, he's a protector character.
Flag
Exactly what I was thinking but you said it better :-)
Flag
I really like the new character they introduced on the Ark this week, the guy who had his arm stuck in a door (I didn't catch his name either but I refuse to call him Cute Guy). Scenes between him and Kane were the best parts of this episode.
Flag
Staff
HIS NAME IS CUTE GUY! (But seriously, can someone please figure out his name?)
Flag
Pretty sure his name was Hick's.
Flag
I thought it was Wick.
Flag
Ok, I think the actor is called Steve Talley, but couldn't find the name of the character.
Flag
yup wick the engineer or mr. wick
Flag
Staff
It's settled. He will now be known as Hick Wick until I finally look it up.
Flag
I thought it was Wick too.
Flag
Sometimes I feel like I'm watching an episode of Star Trek. Two main characters and someone we've never seen before go off into the woods, take a guess who's going to die?
Flag
Luckily the 100 still has about 80 red shirts left to kill off!
Flag
I'm actually pretty sure that they're going to kill off Finn - on the IMDB page, they've always been careful about not listing the actor until the episode has passed. Also, I agree, unfortunately, with MACYLIGHTFOOT below - Finn sounds good on paper, but we never really connect with his character. I've kept waiting for some explanation about why he's sort of opaque, in general, but I think at this point it's just clear that there's something missing in between what his character is supposed to portray and what is actually present on-screen. The actor is really pretty to look at, but his inability to project more nuanced emotions is really jarring in comparison to all the pretty incredible acting that's happening around him.

Here's to hoping Hicks sticks around longterm - when I saw him, actually, I was like, this may be a Finn replacement - really pretty, really snarky, definitely "good." (Though, The 100 could always be pulling the wool over my eyes with that "good" part...)
Flag
Having watched interviews with the cast, the actor who plays Finn doesn't compare that favorably with the ones who play Clarke and Bellamy - Eliza and Bob are much more thoughtful and cerebral in their responses and seem to have thought a lot about their characters and what they're doing with them.

The guy who plays Finn, in contrast to Finn actually has a more choppy presentation and more trouble talking about his character -- though to be fair, he does seem like a nice person and his difficulty in talking smoothly or in much depth about Finn could be because as everyone's been noting, there isn't much for him to go on with the character yet.
Flag
Are you referring to the Youtube interview clips? Because I watched a couple of those interviews of Thomas McDonell there and he seems like a total space cadet when he speaks. And after watching those clips I think his Finn character sounds/acts too much like him. That is in sharp contrast to Eliza & Bob who can deliver a performance that doesn't reveal their own personal traits.
I hate to rag on actors, but I feel like McDonnell just doesn't know how to sell the character to the audience. I think Finn is suppose to be a charismatic, thoughtful and passionate character but he just comes across as a dopey dreamer who is clumsy with relationships.
Flag
Yes, the Youtube clips. I found him scattered in the interviews. I wouldn't say he plays himself because I think Finn is flatter and less all over the place (maybe the benefit of lines) than the actor seems to be , but I get what you mean.
Flag
I wouldn't be surprise if Finn disappears until season 2.
Flag
New guy's name is Hicks...the Sinclair guy (guy who is usually Abby's assistant) said it at some point. I am also all for him sticking around if for no other real reason that he helps really humanize Kane and if Kane, and honestly I am for this at this point, wants to assert leadership once he is on the ground (I am presuming the number reduction means everyone can go on another exodus ship, I presume 12 arcs have more than two exodus ships), Kane needs a right hand man. I have also this whole theory that there seems to be an apprentice/master dynamic and its possible he was Raven's.

I had that thought about pregnancy too. But then I also (as I was realizing I still had my contacts in) wondering that no one wears glasses. Or apparently needs to shave or wax. I mean, presumably there had been technological advances and certain things just happened (ie, like me, you start squinting when you are twelve, you get lasik) or maybe there are required IUDs until a certain age (though you would think if they could make women wear those before childbirth, then Octavia wouldn't be an issue, since there seems to be a one child rule for at least the length of the 100's lives)
More+
Flag
(I am presuming the number reduction means everyone can go on another exodus ship, I presume 12 arcs have more than two exodus ships),

Perhaps. But you'd want to leave behind people with critical Ark-repair skills until last.
Flag
Yes, the one child policy without any seeming enforcement of it beyond floating people who have more than one child seems very strange.

You'd expect forced sterilization, birth control and abortions since keeping population numbers low is really crucial to everyone's survival. Why leave things up to chance?
Flag
Birth control implants seems most likely. You'd expect people to take care of it on their own (since people can still decide when to have their one child) and you wouldn't want to sterilize people, in case their one child passed away.

More troubling is the math. If each woman can have only one child, the population will decline. Replacement rate says two children per couple (one child to replace the father, one to replace the mother). Even that might lead to a declining population, if people get themselves killed (by accident, murder, or punishment for crime) before they reproduce.
Flag
I see what you mean about the math -- though the Ark residents would have two concerns:

1) Replacing people who die

2) Being able to keep numbers at any given time at a level that they can support (given that the life support systems on the Ark are declining).

It's no good allowing people two children (one to replace each parent) if both parents will live into their 80s and in the meantime their children will also have had children.

Re implants:

Maybe they don't have the pharmaceuticals or tech to create those kinds of implants. The drugs they have seem to be tightly controlled - although Monty's parents were mentioned as being tasked with growing plants to create drugs.
Flag
I know, that's why I would think an IUD would be enough, both to assure that everyone who could have one child could have one but then not risk others. So, sort of like at the first well baby check up, or some other baby check up date, part of that visit is reinserting the IUD. Sure, you are risking some Irish twins there, but, that doesn't happen nearly as often as you would guess. But when it was more enforced in China, other than more rural families doing something to the child, I am not sure how it is/was enforced or punished if violated. I actually presume there is some sort of fine.

But grossness of grossness, how do the ladies deal with....I mean, I was a late bloomer so I was kind of erratic then.
Flag
My understanding is in China that some women have been sterilized without their consent right after their one child's birth, that there is a lot of pressure (social and from the government) put on women who become pregnant a second time to have abortions and that at any rate the abortion rate is very high.

And that yes, there is a fine and other sanctions for carrying a second pregnancy (in the city) to term like your family members losing their government and party related jobs, possible loss of housing, etc.
Flag
I hadn't considered the glasses issue, but I've been watching these people hooking up and thinking about how disgusting that is after not bathing in a few weeks.
Flag
Geez, I was still stuck on the guys never need to shave (the girls rarely don't have coats on) that I never even got to the bathing issue. I am not even certain of their water source since the river seems a bit far away.
Flag
The river is also full of "don't go in the water" monsters, so they aren't bathing there.
Flag
I assume that they're drawing water from it though. That scene with Octavia and Raven when Octavia is washing Lincoln's bloody rag shows a full container of clear water.

You can just as easily draw water to sponge off, if not take a full basin bath. They all look really grubby though, so probably they are just happy in their filth (it's what they've grown up with after all).
Flag
This is just a theory obviously, but I think it would be cool if who ever took Monty was one of the Mountain Man that Lincoln warned about.
I think it would be cool if the Mountain Men referred to descendants of a military unit, that perhaps come from MOUNT Weather. It would be awesome because they could have military tech, like radios or something that interfered with the ships signal making it crash, and with Monty's radio before he got kidnapped.
Cause honestly the second they said the ship crashed because somebody messed with the ships computer I was like ohhhh Abby did that, and than when they said there were survivors in the mechanic bay thing I was like great (eye roll) Abby is alive. I was not impressed cause I really wanted her gone, for no reason other than I don't want parent drama, I think she would get boring fast once she makes it to the ground. But anyways.....
I think it would be cooler if Abby had nothing to do with the ship crashing and it was actually one of the tribes on the ground that have access to the military base at Mount Weather and are screwing with people. That way even if people from the Ark manage to get to the ground they will still have to compete with other people with military power. AND because I love the actress that plays the lead grounder, Anya and her people will join forces with the 100 to fight the more dangerous grounder tribe, you know the enemy of my enemy is my friend type thing.
More+
Flag
I think the mountain man is the scary looking skulls Clarke and the groups found in episode 2, they're not really human, maybe because the radiation made them look like monsters, the drawing in Lincoln's book look scary too
Flag
I predicted this last week. The Mountain men are descendents of the military force that was in the shelter when the bombs hit, and they still have their tech (including the ability to jam the flight controls of the lander.
Flag
You could be right about Monty. The rest probably not so much :-)
Flag
Raven, why is your first & second response to your problems sex and running away? Was there really no other way to get over Finn. For some reason I hoped Bellamy had more restraint. I however did love the scene when he reminded her of her awesomeness, when she’s not being stupid.

I’m happy I’m not the only one who thought Murphy set the fire. He saw an opportunity at sabotage and he took it, there was a fallback guy in place (just like when he killed that kid and they would blame it on the biological attack). I still think he got wowed by the grounders (and I got even more convinced after they tried to ‘keep’ Clarke + the dead in two days fact).

My biggest wtf moment this episode: the guy put his arm in there to keep the doors open which I’m thinking will decrease your blood flow to that limb, no? If we go by the timeline on earth it’s been two days, so he’s been stuck there for the same amount of time and his arm/hand is perfectly useable, not even a cramp?

How many times has Abby escaped near dead already? Why can’t they surprise us in actually killing her, like they surprise us with other deads. They should really give us more information on survivors on the ark, I want precise numbers.

That grounder should have know better than to get distracted by a pretty face and a time to show off his killing scars. Clarke crossed a line again, killing and looking him in the eyes while he died. (Does she now have more kills than Bellamy and the other 100? Afterthought: the grounders do a lot of killing in battle, who are they battling with and why are only Anya’s people attacking the 100 )

Monty please be okay. Finn, I don’t care but you’re probably alive.

When you die, can I have your shoes?
They’re much to stylish for you.
More+
Flag
Haha. When they showed that guy stuck in the door I immediately was like, "Oh great. Here's an interesting character (because I've seen him in other things), and they're going to kill him off by having him fall victim to crush syndrome."

I'm so glad that wasn't the case.
Flag
Yeah I thought the same thing in terms of cute guy (I think his name is Wick?), after having his arm stuck in the door for presumably days I wondered if he'd have a crush type injury due to reduced blood flow. If that were the case then it would've been dangerous for Kane to open the door but because it's TV he was fine and was helping Kane move objects shortly after. Tbh I was fine with them not spending too much time on the fact that his arm should've been damaged because his snark and smarts were much appreciated
Flag
If that guy was stuck there for two days, it would mean that "Desmond" was unconscious for two days. Not very likely, in my opinion.
Flag
So I really liked that new guy with Kane, did we get his name? I just hope he isn't secretly evil, like one of Chancellor lady's evil undercover minions.
Flag
The 100 is getting somewhat better. I feel like they finally found direction and are moving forward, just get rid of the love triangles, polygons, etc. . . The addition of Dichen Lachman is a big plus for me.

I was thrilled to see Steve Bacic in the credits but slightly upset to have him get killed after a few lines. I was hoping for the show to get Kevin Sorbo and Lexa Doig and have an Andromeda reunion. Hey, they already have two Continuum actors so why not Lexa?

This was a solid episode, except for the love drama. Anyone else suspect a Kane/Abby hookup? The looks that Kane gave when he thought that Abby might still be alive in the hangar and then when he rushed over to her. They are the next couple. I can't wait for the conclusion. I might try to wait until they are both released so that I can watch them back to back, but I doubt I can wait that long.
Flag
They are having a neighbours reunion with Dichen Lachman and Eliza Taylor

Next we will have Karl and Susan kennedy showing up to bring order to the camp.
Flag
How amazing was that scene when Clarke killed the grounder? Eliza's acting was top notch during that. You feel proud of her for being able to take that guy down and save herself, but then you feel sad that she's having to do something she's so against. Her eyes told the story. This is getting to her, changing her. It's haunting.

I really love the character Anya. I hope we see much more of her.

Glad that Monty got more screen time in this episode. He's a series regular so they should treat him like one.

Raven Raven Raven. So smart, so cool. It just pains me that her storyline sucks. Enough with the pining for Finn. Just be single and badass and forget boys for a while. I don't want her and Bellamy together as a couple. I want her single for a while, but later on down the line if they have to pair her up I think she'd be cute with Jasper or Monty, Or someone new.
Flag
That was a very good scene. I feel that I have to say that because I think this show is hilariously stupid most of the time.

I totally agree about Raven as well. She has a lot of potential, but her decision to leave was one of the moments that I felt was hilariously stupid this week. I also didn't like that random hookup. It would have been less annoying if she had chosen anyone but Bellamy. He's just too much of an a-hole. I liked how Bellamy handled it though. That was the reaction that made the most sense.
Flag
Raven needs friends and some fun! Jasper and Monty to the rescue?!
Flag
Clarke killing that guard was... intense! I love that these kids are dealing with adult issues, it makes such a great story.

We all know Finn is still alive. .. or hey... maybe we'll get lucky and they will kill him off, but if they do that we'll see it. Clarke or someone else will be witness to it, because it's about that time in the season someone gets killed off.

Bellamy and Raven's hook-up was perfect. It didn't make her feel any better and he even pointed out to her, that he's not the type of guy that would push her away because she's upset. She's a big girl, making her own decisions and he seemed pretty happy to be used. Although I was expecting him to make some snarky comment about being objectified.

It will be interesting to see how Bellamy leads without Clarke. Has he learned anything from her? Will he try to go after their "princess" again? or will he revert back to the major dick that he was in the first episode?

So who do we think captured Clarke? The grounders or the mountain men? When they said that Clarke's people would all be wiped out by the time she gets back to them, how do you think that would go down??
Personally, I don't think we'll see the mountain men until the season finale, as they'll be next season's big bad.
More+
Flag
We got to see Bellamy in strong leader mode while convincing Raven to stay. Fingers crossed he stays strong, but the episode descriptors have Clarke begging him not to do something, so I have a feeling that War-monger Bellamy will come to the surface again, sadly with Raven's help?!
Flag
I just don't like Finn. I feel like 11 episodes is more than enough time to make up my mind about a character and yeah.... he just doesn't do anything for me. I have to be honest, I think it's the actor. On paper Finn makes perfect sense, as does Finn and Clarke's bizarrely fast and intense "love story". However, none of that is coming across on screen, at least not for me. Eliza Taylor sells Clarke's feelings just fine, she's broken my heart a few times, the guy playing Finn though is just reading lines off a page. How do we know he loves Clarke? Because Raven said it, or because someone else hinted at it. I don't see it from him at all. In fact I see nothing emotionally from him. I'm not trying to be horrible here, it's just irritating me that there's this huge week link in the centre of one of the main subplots of the show.
The same thing goes for his relationship with Raven. She's heartbroken, he's..... well he's making me wonder has he ever even met Raven there's that little emotional recognition in his scenes with her. Even Jasper and his anti grounder stick seemed more emotionally connected than Finn does with anyone.

Anyway.... this episode.... Clarke straight up murdering that guy was intense. I know she's killed before but that was cold, Clarke! She watched him die, she stared in his eyes until he was dead! Damn!

I liked Bellamy and Raven's hook up, well liked is probably not the word. It was a useful plot point. I feel like Raven has gotten all of her self worth from Finn throughout her life and now that he's gone she's completely lost. She seemed so happy with herself when Bellamy told her she was smart and useful. It's just a shame that she then turned that into meaningless sex, which clearly didn't work for her. So hopefully now we'll see Raven develop as an individual and find a role for herself in the group. The other week when Jasper said to her that they all had each other now it seemed a foreign concept to Raven. She invested so much of herself in her relationship with Finn she never needed anyone else. Let's see her get some real friendships going and proving to herself that she's more than just Finn's girlfriend.
More+
Flag
I agree 100% about Finn, I have hated his character from day one, now that you point it out I do notice the lack of connection with the rest of the cast that he is supposed to care for.

As for the Bellamy and Raven hookup I was not thrilled, I'm a Clarabell shipper all the way, and from the books you know they are end game. But I agree I hope that this allows Raven the chance to realize how awesome she is without a guy, cause honestly I loved her till she landed on earth and became all Finn crazy.
Flag
Wait. Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

There are books?!?! Why did I not know this? I'm an avid reader. Are they titled something else? Who's the author?

So. Many. Questions. Though, I probably shouldn't read them, because I always prefer books over other media. So, I don't want to ruin this show for myself, since I actually enjoy most of it.
Flag
Haha yes the first one is The 100 by Kass Morgan and the second one is 21st Day or something and it comes out in September. But to be honest the book kinda sucked it was really hard to get through. The show is better. In the book there are more character points of view, like Glass and Wells. It is really mopey love crap and not a lot about the Ark politics. Honestly, I usually love the books over the movie or tv show too, this is the one instance where it was the opposite.
Flag
There's only been one book and they shared one kiss, from what I know. Plus I don't think Finn even exists in the book so I don't think you can take anything from the books as indicative of where the show is going.
Flag
Yah the 2nd book doesn't come out till September. But the show is way better than the books. My point is more that they set Bellamy and Clarke up as the relationship in both, after they moved away from Wells.
Flag
I still don't understand why they don't start searching the area around them. Why stick to that one place? Make an away-team and start exploring.
Who knows there might be some buildings somewhere you can use? When Raven wanted to leave I was thinking : YES!!! someone is going to explore, but no, she stayed.

It's a wonder they aren't getting sick from being in the wet forest all the time. Not even people with a cold.

Oh, and a little tip for Finn and Clarke (or actually the writes/director): if you are going to use a syringe to take someone's blood, I don't think you go in with the needle straight down in the arm.
Flag
"I still don't understand why they don't start searching the area around them. Why stick to that one place?"

They did that, in episode 1, and it did not go well.

There's human-eating things in the river, plus you get speared for crossing it. Meanwhile, where they are, is the lander and all its remaining resources.
Flag
They have fears. I recall them talking about a hunting party some episodes back.

But they probably stay there because:
  • Acid fog. That thing came up pretty quickly
  • Enemies they know. They're not really that equipped to handle them.
  • Enemies they don't know.
  • Wild animals that might overpower them
Flag
At first I didn't like Bellamy because he made it look like the show was gonna be a new version of Lord Of The Flies.But now I do because he acts like a real leader.
Flag
That may be in part due to Clarke's influence.
Flag
Towards the end of the ep Murphy is gutting fish. If there are fish and even that monster eel creature in the river that seems like a way more reliable and safer source of meat than traipsing around the forest looking for mammals.

If you need mass quantities of fish you can net or even poison them. Oh well, so much for logic.
Flag
Depends on how many fish are in the river. The Pacific Northwest natives used to harvest significant amounts of salmon from the Columbia river.... during the time of year when they're actually in there.

And not all fish are edible. Fugu, anyone?
Flag
True on the fugu. But most river fish are.

Plus, they don't need a fish per person. They can dry what they catch and ration it out in small pieces - even shred or powder it and make a pemmican like mix.

They are all used to eating very small amounts on the Ark.
Flag
As someone who has fished and know several people who work for fisheries, you would need a large net and time to construct the net. Keep in mind that season 1 is supposed to take place approximately 21 days. Plus they've been distracted by the grounder attacks. Also to poison fish you might as well eat the poison yourself so I wouldn'd advise it. However if they don't have a fishing net constructed by season 2 then I'm going to be very disapointed with their earth skills class.
Flag
There are natural poisons that stun fish but don't harm humans -- Native Americans used them as well as chemicals that would do something similar but dissipate.

They could have devised nets from materials from their dropship as they have everything else. This would mean that their fishing net wouldn't be a classic knotted cord net but that doesn't mean it couldn't be effective.

If we can believe that Raven is able to whip up workable walky talkies from a few components in a few hours then we can also go with them working out an efficient fishing method.

Capturing that one nasty eel creature that bit Octavia when they first arrived would feed them for months.
Flag
"Capturing that one nasty eel creature that bit Octavia when they first arrived would feed them for months."

If it's edible.
Flag
They ate the panther and it didn't look like anything I'd want to eat -- according to Miles it tasted nasty.
Flag
Given the size of the river that we have seen, I seriously doubt it could support all 100 of them for sustain period. Plus the river is effectively the border between them and the grounders. It not the kind of place I hang fishing all day long.
Flag
Oh, and can I hope that Hicks isn't secretly a bad guy or whatever? They need likely Raven's supervisor (I'm guessing) and sort of a representative of the age between the adults and the 100 up there. He provides not so much levity, but it allows Kane to actually embrace his good guy mode and his need to do something to make up for his role in the culling. And seriously, he was singing 100 Bottles of Beer when he was trapped.
Flag
I like the plotlines of the series BUT... this 'teen angst and love triangles' is just plain distracting.
Seems like the script writers have got it mostly right but are kowtowing to some idea that we could really care about soap (?)
Flag
This is the CW, formerly the WB. They love angst, period. Also, there is a love triangle, square, hexagon and/or so forth in 90% of their programming (SPN is the exception).
Flag
That's because on spn they just kill all the women.
Flag
Did Murphy burn down the meat smoking shack? Anya tracking Clarke and Finn seemed premeditated.

Flag
I think he did, Clarke said that all they had left was onions and nuts, but you can see Murphy eating a fish (the camera really lingers on it) later on. when he's talking to Raven.
Flag
I think the fish he was gutting is what he caught during their hunt.
Flag
yeah that could've been it, still I reckon he did it.
Flag
Oh I think Murphy is 100% on the grounders side. Even if he isn't I think he is still sabotaging the 100 so the grounders can kill them and than he will run off or something. But he is totally screwing with them all on purpose.
Flag
It sure look like Murphy burn down the hut.
Flag
I bet he did, I'm thinking he's gone over to the grounders side, and they made him look like he was tortured so they could get the virus in. Now that that crisis has passed he's sabotaging other things.
Flag
Inaccuracies: The scene with Clarke trying to save Triss was the worst because it would have been so simple for the writers to have gotten the medical details right, but they didn't.

1) Blood type is critical to giving a transfusion. Doesn't matter what tribe a person comes from. Triss and Anya aren't even visibly from the same ethnic group, though at this point in Earth's history where everyone has been so mixed it's not like ethnicity maps perfectly to blood type anyway. How hard would it have been for the writers to have Finn say "Take mine, I'm an O/a universal donor." I'll add that blood typing is more specific than major blood groups now, but that would have been good enough.

2) Bleach in the Grounder med kit? How? It's shelf life is pretty short, certainly not 97 years and its not something you can produce easily at home. Splashing bleach over what looked like an extremely filthy needle that you're going to inject into someone isn't going to do much. You'd really have to take the components apart and wash it thoroughly. If Anya doesn't kill him Finn will probably die from the dirty needle : )

3) Septicemia -- a blood infection. They'd already established that Triss didn't have any external wounds and that she had been injured internally by the blast. Blood poisoning is something that happens usually from an infected wound. I suppose we could assume that Triss had some pre-existing wound (like on her foot) that had gotten infected or that she had a pre-existing lung infection (and was still riding into battle) , but...
That said they got the symptoms of septicemia right.

Kane: I'm loving his transformation. He's just Action Jack now.

Abby Not Dead: Yeah!! Though this kind of doesn't make sense since I thought the whole issue with the Exodus ship was that it ripped a hole in the Ark as well as compromising its systems because it was still linked into them. So, finding people in the service bay near its launch point doesn't make much sense.

Clarke killing the Grounder soldier in complete cold blood. Wow!

Did the Mountain Men blow up the Exodus ship - or force it to crash with their interference noises (the one's Monty heard just before he was disappeared)?

Is Finn dead? It's so easy to kill people, you'd think he would be dead already. There doesn't seem to be a reason for Anya's men to hesitate.

Raven and Bellamy sex scene: Just about one of the least sexy sex scenes I have seen in a while. Yes, Raven is lovely but the whole situation was neither hot nor romantic..

The reduced Ark population: So now there may well be few enough people to make the exodus to Earth -- though obviously now they'll face way more technical challenges.

Weird that Anya was provided with a second to train, but they have no backup Healer?
More+
Flag
I totally agree with you about the medical stuff. There was no way for Clarke to know what the girl's blood type or the blood type of anyone else was. So I guess she was hoping to get lucky. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if none of these people knew their blood types. The grounders didn't even seem to understand what Clarke was trying to do with a blood transfusion so I doubt they would know what their blood-type was. I think I'm O positive - but I'm not 100% positive.
Flag
My comment about blood type wasn't so much from the perspective of the characters as a critique of the writing.

I agree that the Grounders don't even know what a transfusion is - but in terms of crafting a script that doesn't insult the viewers' intelligence it would have been fairly easy for the writers to raise the blood type issue in Clarke and Finn's comments since it's a crucial and basic medical issue.

Clarke: She needs a blood transfusion. There's no way to find out her blood type, but we can't wait.

[When the Grounders resist Clarke taking their blood]

Finn: I'll do it. I'm a universal donor.

[ They show Clarke actually pushing the syringe into a vein, instead of jabbing straight down into Finn's arm as they did in this ep.

Clarke is a doctor's daughter and has done rounds with her mother. Adequate blood supply is probably an issue on the Ark and it would be reasonable that she and maybe everyone on the Ark would be aware of blood types (their own and the issue).

For viewers -- I'd think that it's common knowledge that

1) you can only share blood with someone who has the same blood type or who is an O (though blood typing nowadays is even more detailed than that) -- and this knowledge could come from countless hospital dramas or CSI.

2) I would even bet that a lot of the viewers know what their own and/or family members blood types are -- so it's not like this is high level knowledge.

It was just sloppy writing.

On a personal note: I remember doing blood typing in high school science lab. I know my blood type and those of my family members plus the Red Cross is always calling some of my family members for donations because they are Os. So, again, it's not like this is some crazily esoteric issue.

I don't want to slag the writers off. I love the show. I just want them to do better.
More +
Flag
I was expecting them to bring up blood type in their conversation too. I really thought either Clarke or Finn was going to say they were O negative.
Flag
Just putting my hand up bc I am a geneticist... the science in this program is pretty lazy ;-)
Flag
This show is a lot of fun, but sometimes the writing is just downright lazy. I mean, why put Murphy with your food supply?

I know he helped out with the outbreak, but still... he's freakin' Murphy!! Also, the guy that strung him up mysteriously died (no mention of that either)....Just sayin'
Flag
Clarke doesn't trust him. In a strange turnaround from last ep, Bellamy seems more open to trusting him now.
Flag
Yep.
Flag
Of course Clarke is only seventeen....
Flag
But she's had some sort of medical training, and they probably watch a lot of old movies and TV shows up there. She had to know about blood types.
Flag
But blood type is really, really basic as is the knowledge of sterilizing things properly (though I'll cut slack given that they were in a hurry and that she initially wanted to take the blood from one of the Grounders) and her Mom is a doctor whom she's shadowed on the job.

My seven year old knows about blood types.

The bleach and septicemia are writers issues. I would have believed alcohol or even ammonia in the Grounder kit because those are easy to make - the bleach just didn't make sense. The blood poisoning didn't make sense with the info we'd been given.

Fingers crossed that they'll make fewer of these mistakes next season. I don't know that it would cost them that much to pay an EMT, nurse or emergency room doctor to help them vet medical details in the scripts. And they should do something similar for technical and science issues.

One of the problems for me with the show overall is that the show's world feels slapped up.

In science fiction and fantasy a great deal of the writers' time needs to go towards world building. Here it's really hard to even get an idea of where they are (either in terms of on the continent or locally -- where is the bridge? where is the 100's camp in relation to where the Grounder's live?

Two headed deer and panthers? Giant eels in the river? It's like they haven't really thought out the location, flora and fauna properly. The same is true on the Ark. We know that people have living quarters and work spaces yet this ep Kane just randomly encountered ppl in what looked like hallway spaces and Jaha talked of whole stations being lost (did any of us have a good idea of how the Ark was laid out?).
More +
Flag
@Stelamon If you get the blood type wrong when you transfuse blood the patient can get extremely sick and is likely to die. Triss is already very compromised - so a major risk.

Clarke may not know the blood type of anyone present. But to make things realistic and not play the viewers for fools the writers could have had her mumble something about blood type (so we know she knows that matters) and when Anya refuses to let her use her blood and Finn volunteers have him say "Use my blood. I'm a universal donor."
Flag
Exactly, it is basic and Clarke made a comment about using someone from the tribe as the 'best chance', but they wouldn't allow it and since there is no way for them to test blood at that time and with the patient dying anyway, I have no problem with them trying it as a last ditch effort. Frankly, I thought her attempt to use another grounder implied that they weren't ignoring the blood type issue; I don't need the show to spell out every detail to me, especially on something that I thought was pretty obvious.
Flag
World build seem to be a lost art amongst TV writers at the minute.
Flag

Felt bad for Raven once again. She can't catch a break because all the boys, except Monty!, want Clarke. Bellamy and Raven were both using each other as stand-ins for who they really wanted (Bellamy, like us, has no idea what Clarke sees in Finn and when she's gone she is all he is thinking about.) and that was a rather depressing sex scene. When Bellamy asks Raven as she is leaving the bed, "Did that make you feel better?" and she just flat out says, 'No.' She can't help it, she knows THIS GUY wants Clarke as well. The actors played that difficult scene rather well. Fingers crossed they don't make her a jealous foil for Clarke because that scenario has been so played out on teenage dramas and Raven has to be a better character than that. One can hope.

No Dave, er Lincoln, this week meaning next week perhaps we are going to have him trying to save his main man Finn. (Who he earlier stabbed with a poisoned blade) 'Cause you know those two aren't going to quit each other.

So why did they keep 'John' around the camp? He's not showing any signs of changing his ways. He's just around camp throwing shade in every direction and its been kind of funny. Then the food storage burns down with him at the center of the action. No one is suspicious of him except Bellamy and maybe Octavia. Can't wait until his true motives come into focus - he is a fun character. Richard Harmon kind of plays the same role - the guy you can't figure out if he's on your side but who is most likely evil - in everything I've seen him in. The first time I remember him as that character was in 'Caprica'. (The best of these I think is his 'Julien Randol' on 'Continuum'.)

So now Kane is the most awesome selfless dude on the Ark! Thank you show because I really wanted to like that character especially when you cast his dearly departed mom so well. Christine Willes is a favorite of mine, ('Dead Like Me') and it was depressing when they killed her off. The fact that Abby lived worked. And I'm glad she lived because someone needs to get the rest of these people to the planet and Kane needs help. (That and the potential for 'Kabby' remains ;) )

This show is starting off very well. Its working as well as another show I love did in its 12 episode first season ('BtVS') except I think this show found a better petite blonde lead. Yeah, I think Eliza Taylor is better than Sarah Michelle. She has way more range and can hit every beat on the emotional scale and make it look easy. 'Clarke' is written pretty well (they are giving her some good stuff) but its the actress that makes the character so compelling. Ms. Taylor is playing this part very good. This show needs to be smart and figure how to make Clarke and Raven move past the boys and become buds. They need to talk to 'Anya' about how to get the boys to just serve the women. 'Anya' has those dudes in line - under her thumb - in her camp.

Can't wait to see where we end up. Still have fingers crossed that 'Abby' stuffed Kate Vernon's 'Diana' into the seat behind her!

More+
Flag
Actually Finn's the one who wants Clarke. Yeah that kid last night ad a little crush on her but he seemed just as excited to hang out with Finn. He sees them as celebrities. While most viewers want Bellamy and Clarke together, including myself, we can't say for sure Bellamy wants Clarke just yet. He cares for her, but is it romantically? I hope so but we just don't know.

Octavia's the one who all the guys fall for. Jasper. Atom. Lincoln.

I feel bad for Raven too. Poor girl. I'm just so over her main storyline being about love drama. Let's move on. Let her get over Finn and stay single for some time.
Flag
Amen baby!
Flag
I hope they hold off on Bellamy/Clarke for now. I'd rather see them develop a strong foundation now and work together and then wait a while before they get them together (it's the CW - they're get together at some point).

A lot of the hooks-ups just feel so random to me (Finn/Clarke, Bellamy/Raven). I'd like to see them develop an actual realtionship between two characters instead of having yet another hook-up.
Flag
Yah I honestly think the only reason she said that was because Klaus got his spin-off, as ogechiwosu pointed out. Plus I think they wanna play with the Stefan-Caroline relationship now. But really, I don't think even Julie knows what she is doing with, or wants to do with that show anymore. It is all over the place and terrible now, since the end of season 3.
Flag
Yes that would be a better idea. Because as you point out it is the CW, if they get put in a relationship it won't be long till the writers try to exploit relationship drama. Than we will end up with break ups, cheating or some other crap equally annoying.
I'm worried though if they take too long to develop the relationship it will end up like Klaus and Caroline from the vampire diaries. There was so much build up and fans wanted it so bad that when it actually happened it was kinda a let down and hard to sustain in a natural way.
If they have them smoothly transition from friends to a romantic relationship, but don't alter their interactions too drastically it will work. But if they shift into romance hardcore and make it lovey dovey or even too physical I think that would ruin it. They just need a good balance.
Flag
Julie said in an interview that had Klaus stayed on the show he and Caroline would have hooked-up but they wouldn't be together. She had no plans to actually put those two characters in a relationship so even if Klaus was still on the show he and Caroline would not be together.

I don't know, it sounds to me like she only said that because, a) he is on a different show now; and b) dealing with the backlash from putting the show's biggest villain with the show's most popular (yet most self-righteous and judgmental) character seemed like a chore. (Yes, Klaroline was popular, but he was a bad guy back then and she wasn't).

Back to this show, I have a feeling that they won't waste too much time putting Bellamy and Clarke together.
Flag
That was a different situation though because Klaus got a spin-off so he left. Julie said in an interview that had Klaus stayed on the show he and Caroline would have hooked-up but they wouldn't be together. She had no plans to actually put those two characters in a relationship so even if Klaus was still on the show he and Caroline would not be together.
Flag
You are right, but Klaus and Caroline were hot! Though to be fair Caroline makes everyone she is with more interesting, like she is a catalytic chemistry booster! :))
Flag
I agree! I really want Bellamy and Clarke together. I know Bellamy hasn't made any moves yet but all the glances he gives Clarke give me hope. Plus, I was pretty impressed with his relative resistance to sleeping with Raven, I mean yes he still slept with her, but he didn't seem that into it either.
Flag
Most people wouldn't have been that swept away. Yes, Raven is beautiful but the love scene was a dry transaction and both of them knew it.
Flag
I'm not a shipper for either side but I've got to think that Bellamy has so many other things to think about besides Clarke in a romantic way (he has a whole set of tangled issues all his own).

BTW, he isn't the one who is worried about Clarke's continued absence (despite the fact that everyone knew that they needed to be back by nightfall and that it isn't like responsible Clarke to go off script like that). Monty notices that they are missing.
Flag
They might have thought Clarke and Finn were in their not so secret anymore sex bunker, like Raven assumed. So nothing to worry about.
Flag
I don't think they would have done that with so much at stake.
Flag
LOL, I forgot about the sex bunker! Awesome!
Flag
Exactly, Bellamy showed very little reaction of any kind to Clarke's presence or absence in this episode. Even when it was assumed that Finn and Clarke were probably dead his first reaction was to console Raven.

I get why people like Bellamy and Clarke and I'll admit they have great chemistry but it's beyond annoying when people start reading in things that just aren't there. He didn't sleep with Raven as a stand in for Clarke, he did it because she offered it up on a plate. I'm glad he had the decency to let her know he knew what she was doing and gave her the opportunity to change her mind.
Flag
I don't think he slept with Raven as a stand in for Clarke. The guy just loves sex. We've seen him sleep with 4 girls already.

However, he obviously does care about Clarke. Saying he doesn't is denying wants canon. I'm not talking romantically. In the beginning of the episode he tried to stop her from hunting because of the grounders. He's shown concern for her and protected her several times already.

He had to go back to camp because Miles is injured. They can't drag him along a on search. Also he's not going to put Octavia in danger, who will always be his first concern.
Flag
I'm not denying he cares about Clarke in some way or another but I don't think it's in anyway romantic. In fact I think what we've seen over the last few episodes is that Bellamy actually cares about everyone in his own way. It's understandable given how he was raised once Octavia was born. He took care of her, that was his only role in life and it's started to seep over to the other characters now too. Obviously Octavia is still his main priority but he has changed his attitude as a leader since the start and has shown concern for a few of the other characters, Clarke included.
Flag
I agree, though ultimately I am rooting for Bellamy and Clarke because it would be a TV sin to waste such great natural chemistry!
Flag
Absolutely right, he didn't notice, but he is turning into a strong leader. He wasn't thinking about Clarke when Raven was all "here you go". Man, the writers need to stop messing with Raven, but I loved that Bellamy knew what was going on. He was a dick, but aware and acknowledged it. Progress.
Flag
So Lincoln was their healer I take it? Once the little girl died, I was really hoping we would see grounder princess shank Finn (no offense to Finn, but it would have made for a really shocking and cool scene).

Loved the Ark scenes, and Kane and the engineering dude bonding. It's been really brilliant what they've done with Kane's character -- allowing an experience we see on the show to impact him so much, over a period of episodes, completely changing his outlook. We get to see the evolution of calculating villain turning out to be selfless hero.

I don't know Bellamy, I think Clarke was always a badass. Because the second she looked at that scalpel and syringe, it was like, yup, grounder warrior's gonna die, I wonder what method she'll use. Ahh, the classic Clarke carotid artery method, nice.
Flag
Yes Clarke has been a badass from the start. A person doesn't need a gun to be one.
Flag
Kane is my favourite character on the ark at the minute.
Flag
boy they really did a 360 on this character. In the beginning I thought Kane was a cartoony villain and that Henry Ian Cusick was ill suited for the role. Kane is so much more interesting and multi faceted now...and Cusick is portraying the character shift quite well.
Flag
Yeah, the way she stared into his eyes, as she drained the life outta him was chilling!!!Great job by the actress
Flag
Yes yes yes. Everyone keeps forgetting about the Clarke that put a serious beat down on those two guards in the first episode and I've been dying to see more of that Clarke.
Flag
Clarke killing the guard was shocking! It was well done. Clarke is sneaky, lulling the guard into complaisance before killing him?! She is ruthless, but he said the grounders were going to kill all her friends, so she needed to get back, and he was standing in her way. I bet the grounder princess won't underestimate her again!
Flag
Also she ended up finding out just enough about him to know that he's a killer. He showed her his kill scars.
Flag
She also got him to tell her his weakness. He bragged that he got half his marks AFTER his knee problem. She promptly swept the leg.
Flag
Ahhh, good point! She killed a killer!
Flag
I wonder where does all the "Finn-loathing" come from?? I get that Raven is an amazing character with all her engineering and weapon-tech abilities (quite useful in this setting) and good looking as well. It wasn't a nice of Finn to betray her, but seriously guys?

After having a (probably) very long relationship with her and thinking you might never see each other again, is it really that unlikely to forget about your moral compass for a sec and fall for somebody else? Especially when this somebody is Clarke, who does a fine job herself in being a "healer", a natural born leader and pretty courageous besides her angel-like looks. Things like that just happen and we shouldn't forget that these folks are still bloody teenagers!

I am a Finn-shipper by heart: He is cute, brave and one of the few to fight for a peaceful path regarding the Grounders - and, honestly, common sense dictates that being at war with a tribe that has the advantage of location and consists of perfectly trained warriors is just downright stupid...
Flag
I'd actually like Finn if that whole "peace-loving" aspect of his character was his major selling point. However, I feel like the writers are just using him as a tool to further the romance/angst on the show. Whereas, they could do so much more with him.
Flag
Possibly, but how strong an actor is Finn? The directors are probably giving him what he can handle. He doesn't seem to have the timing and technique of Clarke or the emotional vulnerability/accessibility of Bellamy so . . . What to do, what to do?
Flag
You are right as well. I like Bellamy and Clarke in all ways, but I really like Finn as leavening. He stands for hope and peace which make a lot more sense than trying to kill each other's tribes! Hopefully next season the grounders and the Arkers will join up to defeat the Mountain men.
Flag
People don't like him because he's dull and contrived, played by a flat actor. At least, that's why I don't like him. Scenes where he's being sensible and helpful (like thinking up the bomb), they made me like him a little better. But I can't really stand him as anybody's love interest. That crap is painful to watch.

And honestly, I can't figure out how anybody in this camp, not having taken baths for weeks and being dead tired from all the work, has time or is even in the mood for sex.
Flag
I like the idea of Finn but unfortunately I think you're right about the actor playing him as flat.

The scenes you mentioned where he's helpful, I think, are the main purpose for the character. I don't find him exciting as a love interest, but he is portrayed as a nice person who weighs actions based on their impacts on others (including the Grounders).
Flag
I think you are right. The actor isn't as strong as the others, but I like what he stands for. The problem is that Bellamy and Clarke are stronger actors, have more natural chemistry, more complex characterizations and greater possibilities.
Flag
I think there's also an issue of the writers just not giving the actor as much interesting material. Almost every scene he has is on the periphery of another character's, whether it's emotional (love triangle) or social (treaty, bomb). We rarely get to see Finn drive his own story so he comes off as very flat. Jasper and Monty suffer similarly but are at least able to bounce off one another and have friendly, casual interactions with other characters. Finn is almost always used as a plot device.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members