A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

The 100 S01E13: "We Are Grounders, Part 2"

A lot of people look down on The CW because its shows 1.) often feature men who look more like underwear models than actors, and 2.) tend to focus on telling stories aimed at a younger demographic. However, the idea that just because a show airs on The CW, it's not capable of telling worthwhile character stories is ridiculous and offensive to everyone involved, from the writers to the actors to the fans who wait impatiently for each new episode.

Last week, Slate published an essay arguing that adults who read young adult fiction should be embarrassed, because there's so much adult-targeted fiction that's worthy of exploration, and the internet exploded in protest because that's what the internet does. But the internet wasn't necessarily wrong. There were several excellent rebuttals to the story, but Alyssa Rosenberg of The Washington Post responded in a way that I think accurately sums up the counterargument in a broad sense: 

Rather than trying to set one category of fiction against another, which seems to be the fashion these days, I wonder whether we might all benefit from a more open-hearted approach...

To simply give up on romance novels or young adult literature as hopeless categories of fiction, fit only for the weak-minded or young and incapable of improvement, is to embrace a kind of snobbery and rigidity about what is worthy and what is not.

Rosenberg's point can be applied to television just as easily as can be applied to literature, especially with regard to The CW. I won't deny that there are plenty of frustratingly silly storylines and characters on the network (in fact, I'll get to that in a minute), but the idea that anyone could discredit it simply because it's not churning out complex adult dramas like Mad Men makes no sense.

The 100 is ambitious in ways that plenty of other TV series are not. As the show has progressed, it's taken risks and ventured into territory so dark that many shows wouldn't dare approach it. Is it the next Battlestar Galactica? Of course it isn't. Was its first season perfect? No, it wasn't. But the show clearly knew where it was headed, and the first 13 episodes maintained a nice, quick pace, which kept viewers engaged and the story exciting. 

In a lot of ways, The 100 is very clearly a teen series (again, not a bad thing), what with its focus on sibling relationships and love triangles, but in a lot of other ways, the show has evolved The CW's stock themes and characters and given its relationships and ideas a purpose beyond trying to grab the attention of the network's core audience. The show has tackled adult themes in its portrayal of the brutal savagery of Earth, and it hasn't shied away from the very heavy topic of self-sacrifice.

Even the romantic relationship between Clarke and Finn—as rushed as it was—feels more refined than a typical CW love stories, because it isn't overstuffed with angst and longing looks. Since the Hundred have always been in some sort of danger, there's always been something more important on the horizon than raging teenage hormones, and even though Finn and Clarke succumbed to their urges a few times, The 100 has handled their relationship relatively maturely. The show also found a way to put it on the back burner for most of the first season in order to focus on the Hundred's survival. 

Of all The CW's heroines, I think Clarke might be near the top of my favorites list. Nina Dobrev has turned in some truly stellar performances as Elena on The Vampire Diaries, and her character has sacrificed a lot—including herself—to save her friends, but there's something holding her back. In contrast, from the moment Clarke stepped onto the drop ship in the The 100's series premiere, she's been a confident and levelheaded leader, taking charge in situations we can't even imagine. She's quick on her feet, she's able to adapt to her surroundings, and she recognizes when the good of the many trumps the good of a few. Clarke doesn't need protecting, and she certainly isn't the type of woman who requires rescued (need I remind you of the throat-slitting from a couple episodes ago?). She's resourceful and intelligent on her own, and she's more than willing to make the tough calls. 

These qualities are why I've found myself so engrossed in her arc over the course of The 100's first season. It's also why I think The CW's Reign is so captivating. Both Clarke and Mary are young, but they understand their roles as leaders. It doesn't matter that Mary was born into royalty while Clarke simply stepped up when the situation called for it; they both see the importance of ruling and/or leading, and know that it must often take priority over their personal happiness. 

"We Are Grounders, Part 2" definitely showcased some of Clarke's finer moments as a leader. All season long, we've watched her grow from an optimistic but strong and (mostly) fearless woman into a character who's not only able, but willing to let go of people she cares about—like Finn and even Bellamy—in order to save the rest of the group. We have no idea whether Finn or Bellamy survived the ring of fire, or if they escaped before Jasper was able to successfully barbecue some Grounders, but does it honestly matter? Yes, their characters are intertwined with Clarke and they are integral to the show, but The 100 has always been a series about humanity's survival, not necessarily individual survival.

All battles have casualties, but I don't doubt that both Finn and Bellamy will be back for more action in Season 2. Because they weren't in the ship, they conveniently weren't captured by the Mountain Men—who, we learned, have high-tech equipment and are most likely the descendants of the original soldiers at Mount Weather. I don't presume to know where The 100's writers will take us next season, especially because the series usually zigs when I think it's going to zag, but Bellamy, Finn, Octavia, and Lincoln are still out there in the world and not being held captive in sterilized white rooms at Mount Weather. 

And let's not forgot that Abby and Kane were miraculously on the single piece of the Ark that didn't explode or burn up during its descent through Earth's atmosphere. I'm confident they'll be around to help rescue Clarke and the rest of the Hundred (if rescuing them is even necessary; we don't know who the Mountain Men are aside from the fact that they're enemies of the Grounders, which could very well make them allies of the Hundred).

Bellamy also had quite the arc this season. He started out as a hostile, selfish, and chaos-championing leader whose every move was designed to save himself from having to face the repercussions of shooting the Chancellor, but in the end, he truly wanted to save his people. I could spend several paragraphs talking about Bellamy's transition from pain in the ass to hopeful and inspiring hero, but I'd rather discuss his relationship with Octavia, because sibling relationships are a very big part of who we are and where we come from, and this one is particularly unique. Even though brothers and sisters can be frustrating and annoying, it's very difficult to shake one's sense of familial obligation when a loved one is in danger; as annoyed as Octavia was with Bellamy playing the power card, and as frustrated as Bellamy was with Octavia disobeying him, they're all each other has. 

What's more, since no one else from the Ark has siblings, their relationship is rife with story possibilities. None of the other characters can possibly understand what it's like to have a brother or a sister, and I look forward to the continued exploration of the Bellamy/Octavia dynamic in Season 2.

The 100's first season set out to accomplish a very specific goal, which was to get the people of the Ark back to Earth. The Hundred were guinea pigs, like scouts sent before an attack. They surveyed the land, figured out how to live in the new world, and discovered the weaknesses and strengths of their surroundings. The fight between the Hundred and the Grounders was the culmination of everything the Hundred have learned, but just like with everything else, there was always something larger looming on the other side. The battle was inconsequential when you take into account the larger story arc. Yes, members of the Hundred died, but they were nameless faces, casualties of a dangerous world. In all honesty, this season was never about the Hundred's eventual battle against the Grounders, it was about how the Hundred would fare in this new world. 

Every one of the series' main characters has evolved since they first landed on Earth or, in Kane's case, since they were first introduced. The scene where the Hundred exited the drop ship the morning after the attack called back to the series premiere, when the Hundred first arrived on Earth. Consider how much has changed since that first episode: The Hundred's numbers have steadily dwindled. Clarke and Bellamy have learned how to work together as leaders and often merged their differing philosophies for the greater good. Finn has emerged as a serious hero contender after starting the series as a wisecracking idiot. Jasper has definitely matured beyond his role as comic relief, and was responsible for saving the day. So no, the battle with the Grounders didn't really matter. You could exchange the Grounders for the Reapers and it wouldn't make a difference (although the Grounders obviously have a few IQ points on the Reapers), because the story The 100 set out to tell wasn't about war or the Grounders. It was about survival on the most basic level, and it was about who these teenagers had to become in order to survive. And I don't think anyone would argue that the show was unsuccessful in accomplishing this mission.

VITAL STATS

Current population of the Hundred (including Bellamy and Raven): ??????

– My press screener for this episode was very dark—I have no idea how it looked on TV—but people were getting offed left and right during the attack. After the first guy took an ax to the face, I definitely lost count of how many people died.

– Hey, look! Vancouver is pretty!

– Chancellor Jaha sacrificed himself in order to give the rest of the Ark's population at least a slight chance of survival. It seemed like Jaha had been dying to sacrifice himself all season—both he and Kane, really—so I wasn't very surprised when he launched the Ark manually. It was sad, definitely, but he will be reunited with Wells. And after everything that's happened this season, I rather like that this marks the end of his story.

– Raven had better not die, or I'm going to be throwing punches next season. I have a feeling she'll be alright, though. The Mountain Men seem like they'll have medical facilities. And soap.

– Monty! Monty! Monty! Hey, guys, I found Monty! He's been chilling in his own white room for a few days now. I'm just glad he's alive.

– The Grounders captured Murphy! And they took his walkie-talkie, which meant they knew what was going on at the camp. Sneaky.

What'd you think of the finale? What do hope to see in Season 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

347 Comments
Comments (347)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I personally vote for Clark and Finn to become an Item... So tired of the bad boy good girl coupling. Let's see the good guy get the girl for once. I love this show... me and my granddaughter watched it every week... and she just got excited with the Clark and Finn duo... this is what I like to see her look for in a guy when she gets older... (she is 11 1/2)
Flag
I just don't get why they had to create a love-triangle.. it's such a boring cliche in TV series. One that does not, in any way, improve the quality of the show.
Flag
It took me a while to finish watching season 1, but I'm left strangely satisfied by it.

There have been a few technical improbabilities I've just had to grit my teeth and swallow, such as the Ark habitat ring mysteriously stopping and starting its rotation, without affecting the apparent gravity inside, or Murphy blowing a hole through the side of the lander without suffering internal injuries from blast overpressure, or... well let's just say there have been lots of others.

Otherwise the story and character arcs have been great. My prediction for season 2: Clarke and crew have been captured/rescued by the Mountain Men, who see the Ark survivors (unlike the Grounders) as worth bringing back into the fold, or at least exploiting in some way. Clarke will find this new life tempting for a while, until seeing the cracks, and eventually realize her people have more in common with the Grounders, trying to build a new civilization outside, than the Mountain Men (and even the old Ark society) trying to hold onto the old. This could end up dividing her people further, as some elect to drink the much better tasting Mountain Kool-Aid, than risk going back into the wild. Or I could be completely wrong on everything except the Mountain Men being a bunch of dicks. Bring on season 2.
More+
Flag
I didn't plan on watching this show. I thought it was gonna be just another teeny bopper exercise.
But a coworker of mine started me off at episode 6 and it raised an eyebrow. Then when I saw 2 Galactica veterans and a Lost actor my other eyebrow lifted! They kept the teeny bop to a minimum and let the adult themes play out! Now if CW can invest a little cash into the show they can make it look the sets and surroundings a little more crisp!
Go TEAM 100 or ..er 75..maybe 68!!
Flag
First, You commented about how dark your review copy was. Every episode I have watched has been dark to the point the the characters and their actions are difficult to see at times. Don't know if it is deliberate as a cheap way to hide cheap details on sets.
Second, As mentioned the evolution of the characters has kept this show interesting. Almost every character has displayed both good and bad and managed to stay away from being stereotypical characters.
Not Battlestar or Fringe but the show got better and I will be around for the second season.
Flag
Also in this ep, thumbs up for Miller (played by Jarod Joseph). He acquitted himself like a real soldier and ticks the boxes of being a POC (ppl were noting that they aren't many and tend to die on the show) and though he never has many lines hasn't been killed off by the writers yet. GO MILLER!!
Flag
I agree, and I hope they writers flesh these characters out more in season 2 now that they have more than 13 episodes. I'd also like to see more Harper and Munroe as well.
Flag
I just watched The Divide (2013) not long before seeing the finale of The 100 and to be honest that is what I saw to an extent when watching it.
Flag
Great finale. They sure set up a lot of plot points for next season by splintering the groups. We could be in store for some good character pairings involving Bellamy/Finn, Octavia/Lincoln, Abby/Kane and maybe even a jailbreak team up of Clarke and Anya.

And pretty clever how they made Clarke come full circle. The pilot began with Clarke locked in a cell with her art. The finale ended with Clarke locked in quarantine with art.
Flag
Cool observation re the writers putting Clarke back where she started.
Flag
Since the grounders still speak English, assumed this is not just because it is handy for the producers, I think the Mountain men are survivors of the nuclear war and the grounders are their outcasts, they were kicked out of the facility in the mountains because they were criminals. So basically the same the 100. Why they never bothered to contact the Arc is beyond me, but could be because they never thought there were survivors in space.
On the other hand they must have picked-up the transmission between the 100 and the Arc, don't you think?

Well, I hope they come with season 2 soon, can't wait to see how it develops.
Flag
In regard to transmissions - didn't Monty think that some type of jamming transmission was responsible for the drop ship crashing? Those mountain men did not want company it would seem.
Flag
It's just as likely that there are survivors all over Earth, not just from Mount Weather.

It's kind of funny though, that the show starts like the space station colony are the only humans left in the universe and they must save mankind.

Now, we realize that man kind will go on in some form regardless of the Ark residents, and the show isn't really about mankind's survival, it's instead about THIS group of people's survival.
Flag
What a fantastic show! It has firmly lodged itself in one of the top 3 new shows of the year for me. Except for the 'surfing' comment, the finale was awesome.
Flag
Good season final, season two looks promising.
"Game over man" on the walkie talkie (Aliens movie reference) was cute too.

Flag
Love the show. Ready to find out more about season 2. I haven't seen anyone talk about unity day when it was briefly discussed about the space station that was blasted out of the sky before all the stations came together to form the ark. I believe that some of the people survived the fall to earth and they are the mountain men.
Flag
From The 100 wikia
"13th Station -
According to Finn, the 13th Space Station was destroyed in a conflict and the remaining stations decided to work together in order to obtain peace. Which country it belonged to is unknown. It is possible the Grounders are descendants of the 13th Space Station, but this is pure speculation. "
You could be correct, the 13th station would probably have known about Mount Weather and they could have escaped to there after the conflict. This scenario also leads to a lot of interesting story lines.
Flag
Okay, we ended the season with: Clarke and Abby, two strong women and leaders on Earth, Bellamy and Kane now both beautifully redeemed (though I hope we still get to see them struggle with being good) also good leaders, Octavia and Lincoln, off to see the Grounder Luna ( there is a song and a pun in there somewhere) so Octavia is now a reverse Pocahontas? We found Monty, but may have lost Raven.

Bellamy and Finn are off bromancing in the tunnels, fighting off reapers. Octavia and Lincoln will be our window on the world of grounders. Maybe the Grounders by the sea will be more Pacific in nature. ( See? I knew I could get a pun in somewhere!) Clarke et al will be experiencing life with the Mountain Men, so we can once again experience the fun of a dying society.

Our reach should exceed our grasp, is great but that is a lot for Rothenberg to pull off. I really hope he does as I love this show and am looking forward to next season but it is worrisome.
Flag
Starting out a review by arguing why this show is not shitty just goes to show that this is nothing more than a guilty pleasure and you should all be ashamed for watching it. Kinda like I'm ashamed of having watched the entire season of Under the Dome (and survived the snake cringing spasms) and can't wait for more dung being flung in my eyes when season 2 rolls over the screen.
Flag
Are you ashamed? Really? I don't think you are, because you are talking about it. I mean, you know the show is bad. But obviously you find it entertaining. I think there is a major difference. I thought this show (the 100) would be a lot worse than it is. And I still went and watch the pilot because I like science fiction, and it was worth it! For me, that is. This is an ongoing debate, I have had it very often for years because I know people with high degrees of education that read a lot and believe their fictions are higher quality than mine. I look at them, and I don't see it. Maybe we just have different needs. I don't know. But ashamed? I think they should be ashamed of needing to feel so elevated all the time LOL
Flag
read irony
Flag
oooh irony reads so badly over the internet :) But I am truly glad that we are on the same page, or at least closer!
Flag
I agree, I have very catholic (small c not big C) tastes. I will read almost anything, in any genre. My taste runs the gamut from Hannah Arendt and Jane Austen to J.K. Rowling and Roger Zelazny. Most people who love reading don't confine themselves to one genre, because we are too afraid of missing something great if we don't try everything.
Flag
That is how I feel about it: you try, and if it's good, you keep going. If not, you can stop any time. I think it is good policy.
Flag
I agree with you both.
Flag
Does anyone know the details of the song playing at the end of the episode?

Flag
Oups, sorry for the others who already answered to that question. I saw it after.
Flag
The other one is very good too : Woodkid- The Other Side

Flag

I think it's : Radiohead - Exit Music

Flag
Soooo bored of hearing this track in end of season finales...
Flag
So, not only the Grounders survived the Nuclear Blast, there are another people with HI-TECH things, that made me want to see what is going to happen more, I can't wait for season 2 and I don't want to spoilt and read the book, really good season final... LOL
Flag
always love an explosive finale and loved the fatality by Octavia
Flag
A bit off topic, but I'd love to see vids on YouTube that are just about a single character.

A lot of people have posted about what great characters Raven and Clarke are and even Bellamy and Kane with their character development, but the fan vids are almost all about Bellarke with a few about ClarkeFinn.

It's beyond my tecnical skills but I'd love to see a compilation video of one of the show's kick-ass female characters unfiltered by a love interest.
Flag
A Clarke video would be good, but many of her best moments involve her squaring off against Bellamy, so it would be hard to do with just her.

Besides, heaven forfend we model a couple brought together by trust, mutual respect, an ability to communicate honestly and compromise (ummm and great natural chemistry); because movies about dysfunctional and sparkly vampires are sooo much better. I know they aren't a couple but I am so damn tired of watching bad relationships get press. Sigh.
Flag
yep, let's face it, we humans rarely ship for the boring couples :)
Flag
Great chemistry and a real reasons for falling in love almost never happen to characters on shows, so I say celebrate it. Survival means more than a fight for food. It means creating a society, and family and relationships of all kinds!
Flag
I am not against any character so far (except for that fellow that was sent away, awful person). I didn't even know that people didn't like Finn until I read this thread LOL. I am more into the other stuff, you know, the romance is fine as long as it doesn't take over.
Flag
That's pretty common with every fandom that I've seen. People mostly just make fanvideos for ships.

You can't even blame the shippers though, because the people who don't care about the shipping don't make character/group videos either.
Flag
As a non-shipper, if I can find the time I'll attempt it.
Flag
that's true - Maybe there is a correlation between interest in ships and video skills? :)
Flag
I noticed that too, when I was looking for the piece of video when Clarke's father was exectuted. Could not find more than kisses and romance LOL. I don't know how to do this neither and don't have the videos neither, so we will have to cross fingers and see if anyone else can do it!
Flag
I think I could learn to do it but I'd be slow and what I produced not as good as the work of the ppl who make the shipper vids.
Flag
Yeah, I wish I had the skill and patience to edit videos. For whatever reason most TV compilations are usually shipper related. Movie montages though can be pretty incredible there though. I highly recommend the movie vids of Clara Darko. She has some cool edits.
Flag
Kaitlin's tendency to launch into apologist rants is still grating. Of course it's a huge problem that so many adults don't extend themselves beyond young adult fiction. Rosenberg's quote is a lazy everyone should just get alongism instead of offering any substantial points in favour of young adult lit. TV is a different, less intellectual genre to books, even the most acclaimed shows deal in thrills and entertainment. In TV there's less of a gulf between the most worthy and teen fiction. That's not to say the CW's repertoire is good quality in general, it's not, but the question isn't relevant enough to TV to waste half a review convincing yourself why its okay to watch a network.

By now it's clear that the 100 has plenty enough sci fi chops to be more than a 'teen show' and much more than the quality of a usual CW show. Using the 100 to justify CW teen shows is like using the Wire to justify police procedurals - it's cheating and BS. And I don't want to be thinking about the CW, I want to be focusing on this season finale that was pretty great, gathering momentum as it went along and finishing with a first-rate cliff-hanger.
More+
Flag
Staff
"Kaitlin's tendency to launch into apologist rants is still grating."

Then stop reading? It's not going to bother me either way.
Flag
If I didn't enjoy reading these articles and think they were worthwhile overall then I would stop reading. That's not the case. It doesn't mean i can't take issue with certain parts of the articles, I'm simply expressing an opinion.
Flag
a huge problem? I think people unumployed is a huge problem... 25% in my country. I usually think people give too much importance to soccer (again, also in my country, but in the US there will be an equivalent, I'm sure). I am not sure however, that I should call that a huge problem.

"By now it's clear that the 100 has plenty enough sci fi chops to be more than a 'teen show' and much more than the quality of a usual CW show." - To be honest, I think you are saying the same that Kaitlin was trying to say in her rant.
Flag
I agree with what you said, but to be fair no one expects TV to right the problems of the world. What country do you live in?
Flag
Spain - And I still think it is not a huge problem that people are far too interested in football (or what they choose to read).
Flag
You are right.
Flag
I thought it was cool, too in this ep that Octavia saved Bellamy's life. She stood there a little too long afterwards savouring the moment and so caught an arrow. But she was the saviour. That was sweet.
Flag
so the Mountain Men came, my impression they knew that they were there and did nothing hopefully we get some answers!! overall the finale was ok deserving of a second season NOT OVER STAR-CROSSED !! now I would have left camp in the opposite direction after they encountered the first scout grounders were committed plus they should have known that they were going to attack at night they had plenty of time!! now IMO Finn and Bellamy were too injured to escape the pod lifting off!! and actually I think Clarke went right to the spot and saw nothing but Bones!!! as for all CW heroines Clarke is not in my top 15 sorry not deserving and neither is Elena Gilbert TVD could go on with out her Nina did a better job with Katherine as for the Mountain Men this is easy they are the descendants of survivors that planned ahead!!! I finished S1 highly doubtful if I'm going to watch S2 I generally love the CW its one of my favorite networks!!! and I'm well past my teenage years
Flag
Who are your top 15 if Clarke isn't in it?
Flag
I started watching the show only because the other shows I watch are on break. But, after I saw the first two episodes it amazed me. It is so good and I'm desperatly waiting for season 2. Obviously Finn, Bellamy and Raven are alive, and I think Octavia is the clue.
Flag
To be fair to CW, Nikita is not a teen series. It was well done and ran for 4 seasons.

It was a very good finale. I am saying this is a good show since episode one but they were lots of naysayers! Still I am glad the rest of the 12 episodes proves it is indeed a better than average show.

I am eargerly waiting for season two.
Flag
Ok I made some season 2 predictions earlier in the comments, but I want to add to the 1st prediction. Bellamy, Finn and Tristen survive and re-enact the Three Amigos for season 2.
Flag
Funny! Especially if one of the amigos is constantly trying to kill the other two!
Flag
Watching the first 2 episodes with friends today (me being 12 episodes ahead of them):
Friend 1: Bellamy is a dick, I hate him.
Me:*internally protesting*
Friend 2: Kane is horrible I hope he dies a painful death!
Me: *whispers* But I love Kane.
Friend 1: What was that?
Me: Nothing.... Nothing. *sad face*
Flag
LOL! What episode do you think will turn them around?
Flag
I dont know but i hope its soon!!!! Not being able to defend these guys without spoiling stuff is killing me!!!!
Flag
Hope it is soon! I got my sister hooked on it!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
That was one hell of a finale!!! I love that season 2 is going to be so different and all the questions that need to be answered!!!!
Are the Mt-Men friend or foe?
Are the Mt-Men using the quarantine area as quarantine or prison cells?
Are Finn and Bellamy alive?
Where did Lincoln and Octavia go?
Is the smoke that Abby saw, the drop ship, another surviving ark station or a Grounder camp?
Will Raven survive?
Is that cute guy that helped Kane a few episodes ago alive? He better be!!
I WANT TO KNOW NOW!!!!!!!
Clarke was amazing!!!! A million times better than Elena from The Vampire Diaries!!!
Flag
I had to stop watching TVD because of Elena. These girls are nothing alike except for the fact that they're both female leads. Clarke is amazing. She's as important to me as Veronica Mars and Buffy, like others have said.
Flag
Fingers crossed she stays that way!
Flag
We need to stop talking about Elena. Clarke might end up being the third in the Empowerment Trio of Buffy, Veronica Mars and now maybe Clarke Griffin. Fingers crossed!
Flag
Buffy and Veronica are very important to me I love them so much!!!! I would love it if Clarke could be just as awesome and important to me as thry are.
Flag
I agree! I just wish the dearth of strong female characters would end. Sigh.
Flag
Surprisingly good. I'm embarrassed to admit I am among those who occasionally see a The CW show coming out and just mentally file it next to 90210 or something of the like, but I am glad I watched this one, and gladder still that it has evolved into quite a nice little sci-fi production. I was wary of the use of Radiohead in the pre-final segment of the episode, but they actually timed the scoring extremely well. I'm a wee bit worried about the introduction of so many new 'tribes' (we have the reapers, mountain men, grounders, the 100, and now the Arc survivors all in the same field), but if they plan it out they way the did season one, we might have a show that will continue to succeed. Yeah, it's still got the pretty boys and pretty girls who should NOT be so pretty given their upbringing, or say, "I'm going to go surfing!" without admitting it's never been done for 100 years, but still.

Nicely done.
Flag
and now there is nobody in space... or maybe there are other ships that are still going to show up? LOL :)
Flag
That would be an interesting 'arc' (horrible pun, sorry), and possible, but they'd have to sell it pretty well given that all of the ships in space were supposed to have come together to form the Ark. Still, interesting idea, truth be told -- some renegade space station or one that went out of contact that comes back.
Flag
Yes! THAT is what the show needs. . . ALIENS! Lol
Flag
I worry about all the "tribes" as well. Hopefully there won't be a sophomore slump for this show. Fingers crossed.
Flag
They've played it pretty well so far, but I think they're introducing too much, too fast. Given that the show has proven me wrong in terms of being exciting and interesting (to an extent), I'll leave the CW the benefit of the doubt this time.
Flag
I think they may have a longer second season and so more time to develop the story. Can anyone confirm that?
Flag
Hey Kaitlin, I don't know if somebody mentioned this already in the preceding 220 comments, but executive producer Jason Rothenburg said in an interview somewhere that there are 49 of the 100 with the Mountain Men. I assume Raven is with them - provided she is not dead yet, but I choose to believe she's alive. That leaves Octavia, Finn and Bellamy (who have definitely survived the ring of fire, I mean, come on), which makes for 52 survivors of the original 100.

I thought the season finale was pretty good. The battle looked cool and the ring of fire was a great idea. I also feel like Jaha's story has definitely come to an end. That last shot of him was a nice conclusion of his arc (ha, no pun intended). Very curious about next season - I feel like we get to watch the show from four different points of view, and I think that would be a good idea to move the story along.
Flag
Depending on how many survived the Arc crashing to the ground, and whether they reunite by the end of season 2 the count may go back to 100. Just a thought.
Flag
Staff
Thank you for the information on the number of survivors! That will at least let us know where to start when the series returns.
Flag
Well, it will certainly give them far more scope for stories which should be good as he burns through them pretty fast. That is NOT a complaint by the way as the pacing of the show was so exciting.
Flag
Brilliant. I really enjoyed this episode it was full of all out war and hey Finn had a really good idea Pitt the reapers against the grounders and it worked for the most part any way. I was expecting it but then I wasn't expecting it I jumped when that guy got an axe to the face, in my head I was like ok something's going to happen and then POW. I'm so glad Lincoln's alive and back with Octavia maybe they can join up with the adults to rescue everybody else. I'm so happy about how they did the Mountain men and the distinctive outfits were great, and considering how scared Anna and Lincoln was of them I'm really looking forward to see how the operate and what role they'll play. I don't think raven, bellemy or Finn will die or are dead, they be fine.
Flag
Unfortunately, I think Jaha is going to live (they mentioned he had two weeks' worth of air left) and that getting him to Earth is going to be a storyline next season. I hope I'm wrong; he's just so boring.

I love Kane and Bellamy soooooo much - they're so much more interesting than Finn (who, by the way, is a terrible actor).
Flag
And how is he going to live? I don't think he's necessary to the story anymore.
Flag
He hasn't been necessary to the story for a while, in my opinion.....Regardless of whether his role actually adds anything to the story, they mentioned he would have a few weeks of air: there hangs Chekhov's gun.
Flag
he is a bit boring, I grant you that, but I think he had a certain role so far, representing the good leader - now that the other guy is a good guy, however, we don't need the boring fellow anymore (my view on this).
Flag
I don't think Finn is a terrible actor it is just that he isn't of the caliber of Clarke and Bellamy or Jasper. That said I'm glad we get to keep Abby, Kane, Bellamy and ( most importantly) Clarke.
Flag
I had no idea what this show was going to be about. All of my other shoes had just gone off for the season so I decided to see what it was about. I was immediately hooked! And I'm not real big on fiction & action. I've been obsessed with the 100 since. The season finally kept me on the edge of my seat. We don't have a clue what is going on besides Clarke & Monty are in some quarantine. I wanna know what happened to Bellamy!!!!
Flag
I have a few interesting questions about this show so far. First i want to say that I am completely ok with a show taking a story and expanding on it in ways that aren't advertised as part of the original pitch of the show, to me the show started out as 100 teens coming back to earth and survival.

My first question, how much technology and resources could the mount weather people possibly have? Of course there was a nuclear war and it was implied that the war lasted for more than a couple days, so some preparation is expected. Yet how can you explain having multiple quarantine rooms that are absolutely spotless, enough clothing to clothe clarke, monty and anyone else they took, not to mention decontamination since the people who swarmed the camp had bio suits on. They wouldn't bring people into the mountain without a decontamination process.

Second question and perhaps the question that made me scratch my head the most after watching the finale. If Abby can talk to the Chancellor on the Ark with nothing more than an old blue tooth style communication device. How did the people on the Ark not know about survivors? I could understand if it was a secret being held back from the general population of the Ark to maintain order, however we saw how the top most authorities on the Ark acted and communicated.
More+
Flag
Yeah, the Mountain Men have a lot more supplies than seems "realistic," although it's not surprising to me that the facilities have survived. It's possible they've just been very careful and very isolationist. Also, there were probably dozens if not hundreds of secret supply stations before the nuke went off, with the Mountain Men being the only people who know the locations (thus being able to replenish their supplies. That, combined with the fact that there are probably very, very few of them, makes it not quite so unrealistic.

I suspect the survivors (Mountain Men) didn't want to be known about and so did not broadcast their information. After all, why would you make contact with the Ark when they're in space and you're not? No benefit to either party. However, the Mountain Men would probably have heard the communication between the 100 and the Ark and would have therefore known that there were new people on (and coming down to) Earth. Again, there would be no reason for the Mountain Men to reach out and make contact as, being better equipped than the 100/Ark, they would have nothing to gain, but everything to lose since they would give away their position/existence. This way they are totally in control.

I'm guessing they reached out to the 100 because of the more advanced technology (flares, bombs, drop ships, etc.) that the 100 were using; the Mountain Men probably felt more threatened than they were by the Grounders or Reapers and wanted to take control of the 100.
More +
Flag
I don't think what's been depicted about the Mountain Men and Mount Weather is at all realistic.

97 years later with such pristine rooms (is there a cleaning crew)? Where is their food coming from, if they think that the outside is too contaminated (I mean they are giving Clarke a transfusion, right)? Could it be stockpiled food, 97 years later, really? The surveillance in the quarantine rooms? Clarke's clothes? The blood bags in the hallway?

Every single thing displayed in those Mount Weather scenes includes some component that would be hard to keep fresh or operable in complete isolation without access to manufacturing facilities and systems of production (including agricultural).

You'd expect their existence to be more like that of the people on the Ark, using and reusing things and rationing in isolation.

I get that for contrast, that realism isn't what the show's writers are going to give us -- maybe instead opting for showing us some kind of decay or twistedness in their philosophies even as they have so many bright and shiny things.
Flag
Maybe we will get to see the underlying decay, both moral and physical, next season. The white room had great shock value!
Flag
So the white room they take abductees to is super clean and new. When the rest of the base is beaten down? I guess that is possible. It does make you wonder what they use to clean it lol. Urine?
Flag
I think Mount Weather could become a mimic of some 70s sci fi. Think about the Dome city of Logan's Run...or the underground city of THX 1138 with their pristine white rooms. It's an interesting type of dystopian sci-fi where generations of survivors have successfully isolated themselves from the outside post apocalyptic world. But I think for this plot to work the station has to be more than some run of the mill military station or outpost. I would like to see them reveal that the station actually runs throughout the caverns of the mountain like a huge underground network.

What I wonder though is how often the "Mountain Men" actually venture outside their area? Maybe only the soldiers venture out and the rest of the Mountain population lives in ignorance that anything worthwhile exists outside their walls. And why would they take Clarke and all the others hostage instead of killing them? Wouldn't it be wild if we found out that the Mountain people have no children and that grabbing a bunch of teenagers was necessary to keep their underground society going.
Flag
Clarke is NOT food! Ewwwww!
Flag
I think that they are going to try to keep them to fill out their population. Why else would they bother to tranfuse Clarke? Unless maybe she's food as with the Reaper's. : )

The whole blood thing is sooo unrealistic.
Flag
That was my biggest hang-up with the finale, all those things you mentioned were unrealistic in a world 97 years after a nuclear holocaust.

However even with the completely unrealistic idea of mount weather in the condition it is in, it was fun thinking of ways it could theoretically be in the condition it is in. As crazy as it may be,

1. What if mount weather was completely isolated and sealed off from the grounders for decades, then a random group of lucky grounders stumbled upon it 10-20 years prior to the start of the show and they slowly learned how to use the technology again. Then warp 20 years into the future and they have basic knowledge of how to use this stuff and a decent supply of useable non-perishables.

2. What if the 100 that were sent down weren't the first people sent down from the ark? What if people were sent down before, once again maybe 10-20 years prior to the show starting. It would explain one of the many reasons why the rogue council chick was so convinced she could head to earth and everything would be fine.
Flag
I get your argument and it sounds reasonable. However is it as realistic as you say? Remember this is 97 years after the end of civilization from a nuclear holocaust. You see it as what would the mount weather people have to gain? I see their position as eerily similar to that of the people on the ark, they are isolated and alone. Why wouldn't they contact the ark if they could? Remember these people clearly have advanced technology compared to the grounders/ reapers. It would be extremely reasonable in my eyes to think they would see nothing but benefit from having allies in space. So why not communicate with the ark?
Flag
Oh, well, of all networks that tried to emulate Lost, who would've guessed it would be the CW to get closer? I was really impressed by the finale, especially the final scene. Instead of a passionate kiss between Finn and Clarke, as a teen romantic story would call for, we got much more mystery in this eerie sterilized high-tech prison.

What does it remind me of? Lost, perhaps. The CDC in The Walking Dead. maybe a pinch of THX 1138... It seems the show will start from a very interesting place next season.

I never thought I would say that, but I think the CW writers deserve to be congratulated. This is a solid science fiction show.
Flag
I thought of THX1138 too! Cool call.
Flag
This was quite a big episode but there were lots of little things in there too that this show does so well and that makes it stand out from a lot of other shows, not just CW shows.

The fact that you could hear what was happening outside even when Clarke and Raven were inside was a nice touch. It kept the urgency of the whole battle sequence going even when they cut away from the action. Clarke's feet reacting to the cold ground at the end was great too. She's been living in a hell hole for the past month and has changed so much as a person and yet that's still a very basic human reaction, and a nice little touch to add in.

Finn has finally grown on me these past 2 episodes, just in time for me to care if he's dead or alive. He's actually taken some action lately instead of standing around preaching at everyone about what they're doing wrong. He's finally realised that in order to survive there are certain sacrifices to be made, like Bellamy said it's not about who they are, it's about who they need to be to survive.

I wasn't that bothered about the Ark stuff. It was obvious since Abby and Kane were in the same station that it would be the one to land safely. I just hope Abby's other friend made it down too. I think he was in the same one Jaha was in. Thought it kind of hilarious too that Kane was all ready to make the big sacrifice but spent so long getting patted on the back for it that Jaha beat him to it :)

Bar the first 2 episodes which were very meh the quality they managed to deliver throughout has been incredible. I honestly thought this show looked and sounded awful from the trailers and previews I saw before it started and I've never been happier to be so completely wrong about something. I just hope they can keep it up next year, especially if they've got a full 22 episode order.
More+
Flag

Check out my video review of this episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diVds3uFlf4

Flag
I just watched the episode and I know two thing:
1- Bellamy and Finn are alive( it's a cw tv show after all)
2- Clarke and the others wore taken by the ''Umbrella'' people, but they will all be saved by Alice... go Resident Evil go...

Flag
seriously.... the mountain men saved monty and left everyone else to fight and be killed? many questions about all of this we saw.... They took only one person and left everyone else helpless ... I wait for the new season to see how they justify all this.....i think this series is very good suffice it to continue as it began...
Flag
I don't think they saved Monty but rather they caught him...
Flag
Didn't anyone notice the countdown timer on Clark's camera?
It started 6:27:02:34:02 Days:Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Hundreds of a second.
27 Hours a Day? And counting down to what?
Flag
Perhaps it month/year/day/minutes/seconds?
Flag
I didn't notice that it was counting down, but I did notice that her name was on the screen as well.
Flag
I seriously didn't even see that.
Flag
Since she was in a Quarantine Ward, a countdown might indicate the remaining time to be held.
Flag
What do you think it means?
Flag
Yes it could be the time left for the quarantine...

I am much more concerned about the room being absolutely white, aseptic, and the only bit of colour (apart from the cute light green band aid) is the painting that is rather disturbing... that is a Van Gogh "Starry Nights" I think it's called...

Plus it seems there are at least 3 levels on the facility... how deep underground could it be? For how many people?
Flag
Staff
The painting was interesting, because I'm fairly certain they meant it to be the original painting, which would mean that Mount Weather is also supposed to be like an archive of our world. Did they transport art and other things they considered to be important to history to Mount Weather in order to save them from being destroyed in the war? Makes me wonder what Monty's got hanging on his wall across the hall. And what other things we'll discover about Mount Weather and the Mountain Men when the show returns.
Flag

Mmm let's see... I think Monty would love this one from Salvador Dalí. It is called "La persistencia de la memoria" , it is also known as "Los relojes blandos" I think in English they call it "The Persistence of Memory" (got the .jpg from Wiki-commons by the way.)

Now, the current owner is the Museum of Modern Art, New York City. So it seems totally possible the Mountain Men might have it. Now the "Starry Night" I've just checked, is also owned by The Museum of Modern Art, New York.

So two theories:
a) Either that is the original, and they are showing off. Still it is a rather extravagant action to allow a master piece to be in display where somebody might damage it... or
b) It's not the original, and it has a deeper hidden purpose... mwa-ha-ha ... ;-P

Flag
It didn't occur to me that it might be the original, but you may be right. If so, it's pretty funny that they put a priceless work of art on the wall in a quarantine room.
Flag
Wasn't she drawing a version of it on the floor of her cell in the pilot episode?
It seemed to be her version of a starry night but viewed from the ark. It makes me wonder about the fact that they seemed to know her name (it could be that Monty had filled them in or she was questioned whilst drugged) but perhaps they know even more than they are letting on???

Flag
It was nice to finally see Clarke clean though : )
Flag
Actually it isn't Hundreds of a second.It's 00-59 scale.
Flag
Maybe it is 6 Months 27 Days 02 Hours 34 Minutes 02 Seconds and time moves faster in this "prison".
Flag
Blake is so full of herself. Lets not kill Anya who has terrorized us but she has no problem frying lots of nameless grounders. I like it but it is cliche and it is obvious exacty who is about to buy it. Octavia is perfect though.
Flag
It is harder to kill people you know and have interacted with (even if you don't like them) plus the other Grounders always wear those fearsome and dehumanizing masks.

Also, there is a huge difference between killing someone who is attacking you and someone whom you have stripped of their weapons and imprisoned. Not exactly a fair fight there.

I think Clarke also wouldn't have wanted her peeps to give into the kind of mob mentality that allows people to kick another to death.

She and Bellamy always have that "this is who we are" theme going on re their new society and I can see her definitely thinking that kicking people to death isn't who they are.
Flag
I agree. Morally/ethically even legally there is a huge difference between killing someone actively attacking you and dispatching a helpless prisoner.
Flag
Agreed, it's similar to the proposed treatment of prisoners of war in today's world. I like that Clarke tries to instigate that in the future. There's a difference between combat and revenge.
Flag
Suppose so but the burning of the grounders was pretty nasty too. Clarke is trying to be better than Anya who was all to happy to execute people.
Flag
I think one of the first things we need answered in season 2 is if cute new guy made it to the ground
Flag
Staff
BRB making a mental note about this.
Flag
I'm seeing tons of positive feedback about the Raven/Clarke moments in the finale. I really hope the writers do something with this and make them close friends. They're very much alike in many ways. When Abby reunites with them, she'll be like a mother to both of them.
Flag
I didn't like that Raven was near death in this ep but I did like the other things the writers did for her.

Before there'd been this sense that Raven had been dependant on Finn -- that because of her addict Mom she'd needed Finn emotionally and for his rations.

But this ep, the picture became a bit clearer in that Finn had obviously chosen one of the brightest young women on the Ark as his girlfriend.
Maybe it was Finn who was dependent on her.

Loved the scene when she tells Clarke that she (Raven) was always first in everything. She's just a kick-ass character. I hope she survives.
Flag
I hope so too. Sigh.
Flag
Does this mean the killing decreases?
Flag
What a great show. The 100 and Arrow really have become my favorite shows. The director of photography for this show is amazing, the last few episodes have been so visually stunning with Clarke on the two headed horse, the reunion of Finn, the battle, and the lake where the adults landed. Amazing.

I'm pretty excited to find out if the 100 will team up with the mountain men and why do the grounders fear them? What's their deal? So are the grounders all wiped out with the exception of Anya now? Was that all of the Reapers that were killed? Will Anya join Clarke since all of her people are gone?

And holy crap is there going to be a power struggle in season two! Between Kane & Abby/ Clarke & Bellamy/ Anya/ The mountain men's leader. That's going to be nuts. Will all of Clarke and Bellamy's heroics be disregarded as the adults take over? Are the 100 going to accept the adults into their group? There should still be more of 100 if only one pod made it without exploding, because they had maybe 20-30 adults on them. How's that all going to work out?

I'm betting that Finn and Bellamy got into the tunnels before the fire killed everyone. Which means that when Kane and Abby come searching for kids, that's who they're going to find and have to work with. Kane and Bellamy... that's going to be a tough partnership when they go to save the others.

I'm mostly excited to see more of Clarke and Bellamy next season. Not as a romantic couple -although I believe that has potential waaay down the road-, but as friends and co-leaders. They make a great team and frankly I just love Clarke. It's so great to see a strong female character. I really can't wait to watch her get only stronger and become a total badass.
More+
Flag
Yeah, can't wait to see Kane try to tell the kids what to do now... good luck with that!
Flag
No kidding. But Kane is a fluffy-bunny redeemed man now. I'm just worried about all our characters being split up for the season. Sigh.
Flag
Clarke is a total badass! Finally a strong woman on TV who isn't emotionally broken in some way! Halle-freakin-lujah!
Flag
I loved the axe in the face and the skeleton in the flame, good, veeerryyy goooood :-)

Flag
The finale was awesome. The show is taking the right turn. At the beginning, it looked like another show with annoying teen stories. But during the 13 episodes, there was no waist time. Conditions were harsh and they had to become adults very quickly and fight for their lives.
I think Bellamy and Finn are alive and if it is the case, the reason better be good.
The introduction of the Mountain Men is great and the arrival of some arckers on earth is great. I just hope that not only one ship survived (the ship of Clark's mum). This show has an enormous potential in its hands: new characters, reunion with adults, exploration of the US and why notof the rest of the world after that, proper settlement. I really hope they don't ruin that, but I do think The 100 is on the right path.
I'll be back next season, for sure.
Flag
Have their been casting spoilers? because i believe you could argue that bellamy is dead pretty effectively. That fire scorched a pretty large area, it would have been pretty hard for either him or finn to get out of its range.
bellamy had his story arc, they completed it, he had his whole redemption.
He also had the whole "i got this" for octavia which to me was almost a goodbye forever kind of scene
Flag
no way that Bellamy is dead :) But maybe it was on purpose that they left the story with this cliffhanger... if any of the actors decides to leave, now it is a good moment to do it!
Flag
We didn't seem them die. We didn't see identifiable bodies. Since the first ignition attempt failed, they had time to get out. I would be very surprised if they're not alive.
Flag
Eliza Taylor and Thomas McDonnell were on a European press tour I think it was last week? If only sending two people, they rarely send an actor to promote a show if his character's already been killed off. I think Finn and Bellamy are just set up to be outside the Mountain men quarantine when the next season starts, like narrative wildcards.
Flag
Nice. I like that idea.
Flag
That makes so much sense, but I hope he survived. Bellamy and Finn were near the tunnels, so they could have gotten away through the tunnels. Anyway, in my head Bellamy and Finn are hanging out in Lincoln's cave bickering and having tea. My head is an odd place.
Flag
That's a good one. In my strange head, I wondered whether Lincoln and Octavia are most likely busy making their way to his friend and her camp / village near the water (sea/lake) and it ends up being the same expanse of water the part of the Ark landed on ..... literally, ON ... squish
Flag
Yup, your head is a bit odd too. Liked the squish! :)
Flag
LOL, when I was a child, when I did not like the ending of a story: I would just re-write it in my head...
Flag
I like that. Does it work for bad tv shows? (Of which this is not one.)
Flag
It sure does! You can re-write anything... but real life I am afraid ;-P
Flag
Great ep.

About the CW: I have always felt that the network, and the WB and UPN before it, actually had great actors on their shows. It was mostly the writing that failed them, for they all followed the same formula: young teens and people in their 20s angsting over everything, and a love triangle. Nowadays, shows like Arrow, Supernatural, and the late Nikita have mostly avoided that, but it is hard to shed the past.
Flag
My hopes for season 2:
·Bellamy alive
·Finn dead (he's to annoying, let him die a hero)
·Kick ass Octavia turned grounder
·Bellamy Octavia reunion
·Raven living and finding someone better (not Finn or Bellamy)

Yeah that about sums it up, because we already know Monty's alive so.
Flag
Perhaps the cute engineer guy for Raven? The one I hope survived with Kane and Abby. They would be lovely together. I do think, that if Raven survives and has been operated on that she is likely to end up in a wheelchair. That much damage to the spine did not look good.
Flag
Why not letting Raven alone? Do all them have to be coupled?
Flag
Ok rewatching because I am sure I missed stuff... So taking notes.
We have a lot to thank Murphy for! Again Murphy's Laws! ROFL! I wonder if one of the writers just came in to the writer's room one morning and said: "Hey! Let's call one of the brats Murphy! And then we can blame all on him LOL" Why, even the grounders have something to blame Murphy for! (not telling them 'bout the mines) ROFL!
Oh! So it's "May we meet again!" I got it wrong the 1st time LOL.
Our newest hero gets the chance to prove himself again... but how embarrasing Thelonious beats him to it! So is it less "heroical" to volunteer to do something and then don't have the chance to do it?
Did one of the kids actually said "Game over, man!" Yes he did!
That background music when the Ark was burning down sounded a bit Christmasy, right?
Those reapers looked a bit like 1st generation Klingons (you know, those without ridges...)
Jasper is always plan B, poor kid.
All in all, those kids were bloody brave, especially the ones defending the gate. I think I would hear my teeth chatter (not from the cold!) even with all that noise!
Ok so 1 bubble made it, maybe 2. Let's say 'tis a possible miracle (is it probable?).
Gosh I don't even want to imagine the smell when they opened the ship's gate... all those bodies...
There is nothing that can freak me more than a totally white room LOL!
Wow! I cannot believe how action packed this ep was!

Ok reading the review now ************************

Yay Kaitlin! You tell 'em not to underestimate the CW! (Although nothing wrong with men that look like underwear models, mind.)
Ok will read the Washington Post rebuttal in a few...
Mmm yes there is a lot of snobbery going on... you don't want to see what A. S. Byatt said about Harry Potter a few years ago! :-S
For me the only filter is: is it well made? If not, it does not matter who it was made for! (The other thing I ask myself is will it entertain me? But that is a different story...)
I'd rather only Bellamy survived or then only Finn... just because!
Can't wait to see the rest of Vancouver mountains LOL!
Yes! I'd expect the Mountain guys will save Raven, she'll have a bad limp but that's nothing! She's supper cool!
Raven & Clarke! Hip hip hurray!

So how many months till next series??? Buuaaaaah!
More+
Flag
Clarke is literally the best. And I know what literally means..)
Flag
And I literally LOL
Flag
I literally agree with you! :)))
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members