A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

The 100 S01E04: "Murphy's Law"

Another cast member was voted off the island this week in "Murphy's Law," and unfortunately it was Charlotte, the young girl (emphasis on girl) who was last seen slashing Wells' throat in an effort to slay her inner demons. The Hundred just assumed he'd been killed by Grounders while on watch, but then Jasper and Octavia found the knife (jeez, Charlotte, where did you learn to murder people? You should never leave the murder weapon behind!), which served as the jumping-off point for this week's big discussion about right and wrong, when it's okay to kill a fellow human being (apparently, the answer is "sometimes"?), and chaos versus regulation.

I don't want to downplay the importance of Charlotte ultimately jumping to her death over the guilt and shame she felt as a result of killing Wells, because that's a very big deal, but the real discussion has to be about what transpired because of her actions. For every action there's a reaction, or consequence, and there's no way that Charlotte's throat-slashing of Wells was going to go undetected, let alone unpunished. Charlotte used Murphy's knife to do the deed—a knife Bellamy had given to Charlotte during the acid fog—which gave Clarke an enemy to direct her anger toward. And Bellamy, God help me, did the right thing when he told Clarke not to confront Murphy. Now, he didn't warn Clarke away from Murphy because he remembered giving the knife to Charlotte—Bellamy looked equally shocked when Charlotte confessed to killing Wells after the group had already strung up and tried to hang Murphy for being a dick—he did it because Murphy was his bro. But he wasn't wrong to want to keep the knife detail quiet, perhaps recognizing that making the news public would result in a lynch mob. And what do you know, when Clarke confronted Bellamy in front of the entire camp—where everyone was busy building a wall for protection after Wells' death—there was indeed a lynch mob!

In Clarke's defense, she had no reason to believe Murphy hadn't killed Wells. It was no secret Murphy hated the guy—a lot of people hated Wells because of his father—but he'd already tried to kill Wells back in Episode 2. Murphy was a jerk, plain and simple. He was hungry with power. He'd just peed on someone a few minutes earlier in a display of dominance. I'd have probably jumped to the same conclusions as Clarke and the rest of the group, because all the signs pointed to Murphy and his Shoulder Pad of Doucheyness being the killer. Unfortunately, the problem with jumping to conclusions in this setting is that problems and arguments escalate very quickly, which is why Murphy was hanging from a nearby tree branch in the span of a few minutes. The group skipped right over judge and jury and went straight to executioner, and Bellamy—the self-appointed leader of this ragtag group of survivors—made no move to save his minion, instead choosing to blame Clarke because she had the audacity to ignore his orders and confront Murphy in the first place.

Bellamy's protective nature regarding Charlotte is no doubt a result of not being able to protect Octavia growing up. It makes him feel human and when coupled with his inability to kill Atom last week, makes you wonder what kind of a person he really is underneath the facade he's built. But he can't go around picking and choosing when to let chaos reign and when not to. And he certainly can't go around blaming Clarke when he could have easily calmed the mob of people trying to hang Murphy for his alleged crimes. He's proven several times now that he has command of the Hundred, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, and by staying quiet, he allowed chaos and revenge masquerading as justice to win out over the truth and common decency.

The Hundred is struggling with how to govern themselves on the ground, and it's an interesting thing to watch take shape. They were all for killing Murphy because he's treated them poorly, but very few people jumped at the chance to kill the young girl who actually killed Wells. That's a pretty effed up double standard, in my opinion. No one wants to murder a child, even if she is a murderer. It's much easier to blame the douche bag who's been barking orders and pissing on people, than taking the life of an orphan girl. Tensions are still running high in the group, and now that Murphy has been banished from the safety of the base they've set up, it'll be fun to watch how Clarke and Bellamy plan on working together to set up some sort of boundaries and rules regarding life on the surface. They don't decide who lives and dies, but they can help form a society that isn't completely based on ruling through fear. 

Perhaps the most interesting development from where I sit is that these are all teenagers who've been imprisoned, some of them for harmless crimes. From our perspective, you'd think that people who've been wrongfully imprisoned wouldn't be so quick to jump to the harsh punishments of the Ark, but then again, that's also all they've ever known. It doesn't appear that there's any sort of judicial system on the Ark. If you're deemed guilty of committing a crime (probably by the council?) you're either floated or, if under the age of 18, locked up. Growing up in this kind of society would definitely warp an individual's mind and sense of judgement.

Back on the Ark this week, Abby was facing her own dilemma as the escape pod needed a pressure regulator before they could launch for Earth. Once Clarke removed her wristband in an effort to punish her mother for essentially murdering her father, the timetable was moved up by two days. Raven did her best to have the pod ready, but Abby ultimately took the fall after their shady business to secure the regulator was discovered by Kane. Abby will be punished for trading morphine for a (busted) regulator, but Raven was able to set off for the surface on her own. 

I'd still like to explore the government structure on the Ark more than we have been able to, and I'm pretty sure I don't care about Finn and Clarke hooking up in a moment of anger and loneliness-inspired passion, or that Raven is definitely Finn's girlfriend and is now headed to remind him of that fact. The relationship drama that's probably about to hit the fan is only going to complicate the good thing the show has going right now, and I'm not sure I'm ready for it. I'd much rather watch a show that explores the guilt of a young girl who murdered an innocent man and her subsequent suicide than have to watch Finn explain why he was allowed to hookup with Clarke because he thought he'd never see Raven again. "Murphy's Law" managed to make many strides in terms of story, I'm just not sure the show can handle the relationship stuff on top of the heavy material it's already working with.

VITAL STATS

Current Population of The Hundred (not including Bellamy): 93

– This was Episode 4 of The 100, which means it's time to declare whether or not you should stick around after tonight's episode. I'm going to go ahead and give this one the thumbs up!

– Did Clarke hoard all the Pantene Pro-V when they reached Earth? Somehow she manages to have hair that looks freshly washed and silky smooth while the rest of the Hundred appear to have the unclean, greasy look you'd expect them to have after however many days on Earth.

– Finn's got himself a little bunker full of goodies, and apparently that bunker belonged to Emily Thorne because there were enough candles in there to light an entire mansion in the Hamptons. Honestly. who told Clarke and Finn to light every single candle? Conservation is key, folks!

– Where do you think Murphy is going to go? How long can he last on his own outside in the forest?

– I like that Monty's attempt to contact the Ark failed. It's more realistic that he fried the rest of the wristbands rather than open a line of communication on his first try.

– Do you think it's sometimes okay to murder people as long as they're really big dicks?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

242 Comments
Comments (242)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Now, he didn't warn Clarke away from Murphy because he remembered giving the knife to Charlotte—"
No, he didn't warn Clarke away from Murphy because he too, genuinely believed that Murphy had done it. Because it was Murphy's knife, that Bellamy NEVER had! Come on!
Flag
"Charlotte used Murphy's knife to do the deed—a knife Bellamy had given to Charlotte during the acid fog—which gave Clarke an enemy to direct her anger toward."
This is incorrect. John Murphy throws his knife into a log after he and Bellamy have a small grievance in episode 3, season 1: Earth Kills.
After the acid fog, Charlotte finds Atom dying in the woods, and gives Bellamy back his knife so that he can put Atom out of his misery.
Flag
The girl confessed to save Murphy and he in turn chases her down. How about a thank you. This episode was stupid. Murphy is an asshole and Bellamy is a dumb shit
Flag
Hypocrites. Neither should be hung that quickly, but I mean if they were so quick to string Murphy up, then so should the fate of Charlotte been. It's only fair, by their own "rules." I think the only person I hated more than Murphy was Charlotte. Boom, there I said it.
Flag
And then they had the nerve to banish Murphy who didn't even do anything. I mean, that's such BS.
Flag
I'm watching this now (I'm late I know) and I really like it. Couldn't bring myself to care about Charlotte (?) though, so many great characters already but she was thrown in my lap like 'she's small!! and scared!! CARE' and maybe I'm just a bad person but I really couldn't bring myself to. and yes it was so fucked up how they hanged murph just like that because yeah he's a massive douchebag and needs to be idk medicated and counselled, but then showed no reaction to the girls confession! and she had no reason to just kill him (I'm terrible with names) like that, idk man I don't think she was young enough to justify her "misunderstanding" bellamy like that. she was a messed up kid. but yeah just no murphy being a real Shit doesn't mean they can just string him up with no evidence like?? and it just bothered me. I like this show!
Flag
Thumbs up!!!! LOVE THIS SHOW. its amazing and ive been watching it all scinse the beggining. stuff the haters. though how is kicking people who have "murdered" others out of the group a smart idea? surely when and if they ever have to confront the grounders they will need that violent spirit? i dunno. the situation between clarke and finn was undenaiable sinse the beggining. i saw this coming 50 miles off. ever scinse the beggining. i cant wait till the next episode!
Flag
If this was a two episode test then it would have been thumbs down but the show has grown in the past couple of episodes (I am watching on DVR).
The characters are showing a little more depth and are a little more difficult to label as the good guy/girl or the bad guy/girl.
I am still bored by the space station storyline but at least they had better lighting where we could actually see the characters clearly.
Flag
The plot and storyline is soooooooooooooooo shitty and stupid.
Flag
well too bad YOU couldnt make something half as good as this
Flag
And I am smart enough to not try when I know I am not even half as good and spend it doing good at something else and give me the chance to sit here when I am chilling to be a side line critic who is spot on.
Flag
what a dumb ass show. So they ... banish murphy for being pissed that they beat him, and almost killed him wrongfully? or for expecting everyone to be held to the same standard? Absolutely RE TARD ED. /shakes head
Flag
you might wanna rethink that :( thats not what happened
Flag
@thekaitling
I think you're right the idea of the show and the topics are emerge from it are interesting ( the birth of a new society ,how to manage punishment ,how leaders are created ,what is to be human ,etc) but treated in a poorly shallow manner.I think the show has to foccus on his target demographic .Is it teen- oriented ? Putting romance over the top is going to make it more shallow and confusing.
I think that the show is biting off more that he can chew.
Flag
i agree. appart from the last part
Flag
Things keep on getting darker and darker although I think Charlotte survived. Maybe the grounders will save her or something.
Flag
grounders dont "save" people. they kill.
Flag
well Lincoln saved Octavia
Flag
This show is trash. Somewhat watchable trash though.

Just a few thoughts about the show in general:

Sending 100 fertile women down to Earth with vials of sperm from every male on the Ark would save the human race. Full stop.

12 separate nations went into the creation of the Ark. Not one kid has an accent and there appears to be no transference of non-English words in their vernacular. Unbelievable.

These kids are obviously full of nano-tech due to their superhuman healing abilities. Wells' ankle, Octavia's snake bite, and Jasper's collapsed lung/shattered ribs/impaling! Hopefully, the nano-tech prevents pregnancy too, because these nitwits can barely feed or house themselves at the moment.

Why are the little canaries following Bellamy again? Is it because he is the oldest? Wasn't he essentially a nobody on the Ark? A janitor? Barring some political, financial, or familial ranking system as to a person's station in life on the Ark, I'm gonna assume Bellamy is a half-wit and his pushing a mop was justified.

Bellamy is a half-wit AND a coward. He should be the next to go. How is keeping all the folks with all the fabricating ability/medicine/and weaponry on the Ark going to help the folks on the ground in the long run. Excluding the grounder/mutants, the apx. 100 don't have enough genetic material to repopulate the human race. They can't even expand beyond their little area due to always needing shelter from the acid fog they can't protect themselves against. He acts like the groups can't separate into factions after collaborating for a time.

His sister is bizarre too. She was kept hidden for the entirety of her life. Had no human interaction other than her sibling and mother, then her jailers, but she pops out of confinement for the first time in 16 years and she's a horny sex kitten, flitting from one dude to the next. What? Was Bellamy giving her the bad touch or something? Weird.

Clarke is obnoxious. She's one of the few level-headed ones in the group, but she's such a waffler. Maybe I'll like her better once she becomes more confident and seizes more control and takes that whine out of her voice every time she speaks.

Since Jasper and Asian kid (with lines) are supposed to be besties, I need to see more of that and less Asian kid looking on third-wheel style as Jasper gets the fickle attention of Octavia.
More+
Flag
I agree with most of these points, but I would like to put forward a theory about the language and accents. We could assume that they are all speaking a new language, which would not be recognizable to us as it would be an amalgamation of all the languages. Spanglish on steroids. And assuming there was total integration through all cultures there is no reason for accents within such a small area as the space station
Flag
I'm pretty sure Bellamy isn't thinking about how to help all the folks on the ground in the long run. If I remember rightly, it was made clear in a previous episode his motives are entirely selfish. He doesn't want those people from the Ark to come down and become that nobody-janitor again, especially not a nobody-janitor-wanted-for-attempted-murder (or maybe murder as he doesn't know the Chancellor is still alive). He cares about himself, he cares about Olivia, he seems happy to manipulate the others to get his away. And I find him far more interesting (although occasionally frustrating) as a character this way.

So sure, you could call him a coward, or selfish, or just really bad at seeing the big picture but I honestly wouldn't consider him a half-wit. It's worth noting Clarke balances him out somewhat as she absolutely can see the big picture.
Flag
I don't know that Clarke balances Bellamy, but she is certainly the narrative counterbalance to Bellamy. Big picture vs. myopic vision doesn't lead to flourishing prosperous societies (real world). It's going to provide plenty of drama for the show, just like the real world. Where one group is working to build things up, while another group selfishly tears things down. One is going to have to win out and soonish because myopia is going to lead to their collective deaths on the ground and in space PDQ. That goes for Kane too.

Maybe Bellamy, can stop being a dick and not because he has a sudden hard-on for Clarke, or maybe he should follow his own damn law and banish himself.
Flag
Sure.. he could. But as he's clearly about self-preservation that would be very out of character. I certainly agree with the other part of your comment though. Very little makes me roll my eyes harder or infuriates me more than a character changing purely for a girl/guy. Extra rage if this is portrayed as healthy and/or desirable.
Flag
The Tell/Don't Tell fight on the Ark is stupid. This should be an all hands on deck situation if there ever was one. People should be asked to volunteer to float. People should be cobbling together drop ships. There should be ongoing calculations as to how many people can survive on the ship and how many can be floated or deposited on Earth in quick order. They are wasting time. Die for sure on the ship or possibly die on the Earth? Hmmm.

I'm not interested in the romantic angles. Frankly if everyone is only allowed to bear one child per lifetime, then forced sterilization and free flowing sexual partners should be the norm. The young'uns should be buckwild with their schlupping and Raven coming to Earth shouldn't devolve into hysterics of the, "That's my man, hussy!" variety.

I hated the Clarke/Wells bullshit, so that was the only upside to his death. His "nice guy" schtick rumbed me the wrong way. Everyone knows that fake nice guys are just guys too cowardice to come at a woman directly and go through a whole beta male routine in the hopes that eventually the girl that sees them as nothing, but a friend since their first interaction onward, will someday open up her heart or at least her vagina to them. Yuck.

I do speculate that Clarke's mom and her bestie are lovers (are gay couplings allowed on the Ark? Are they allowed to raise children?), that's why Kane is constantly trying to kill her. Kane and wife don't seem to have contributed to the next generation and that might also be a reason why Kane is gung-ho on killing all the people he deems unnecessary. I think Chancellor Burke wasn't creeping on Clarke's Mom (what is her name?), but was sadcakes because he had obviously lost his spouse in some manner.
More +
Flag
i totally agree. apart from the romance part. and the Clarke/Wells stuff
Flag
Like you're going to get people to volunteer to die that easily... Please. you want 300 or 400 people off the station it is simple. Tell them that we believe the Earth is safe again. You can make up new data has just been discovered and make it up. But the point is you give people the chance to feel as if they at least have a chance to survive you will get more than 300-400 volunteers. All the disenfranchised members of the society will want out and take the risk.

Flag
I can think of three groups that would volunteer to die: First the suicidal, second parents that want to ensure that their children survive, and third the "elderly". They seem to be several generations in to a communal good perspective, so with the right pitch some would volunteer.

I doubt if they find out Earth is viable the council is going to be interested in shipping the riff raff to Earth. Remember just killing off a chunk of the populace isn't going to fix the air problem on the ship, it'll just delay the deaths of those on board for a little while longer. The Ark is a machine and the machine was going to fail eventually one way or another and I don't see them mining passing asteroids for raw materials or anything, so I imagine the best and brightest and the well connected would make the trip to Earth because entropy is inevitable. They've already wasted a 100 person capacity ship on a bunch of Australians criminals. I could see them telling everybody on board about the problem to get them to work on the effort to make more ships, but then culling the angry mobs when word got out who would actually be making the move from the Ark.
More +
Flag
You only have 4,000 people roughly total... On a planet with a surface area of 510 million square miles. So, you can easily distance yourself from the undesirables. Besides and more importantly-- you need CHEAP LABOR!
Flag
This show is a lot better than the other show with the superpowers people. This is very teenage based, but still ok for adults to watch, I think. Plus it has a lot of the good old science fiction elements. I have just catched up with all of it, joined the community, and I look forward to more episodes! So far, so very good.
Flag
the less of teen angst and relationship drama the better, and hopefully the crash landing of the third corner to the triangle Finn-Raven-Clarke won't ruin the whole show. They should definitely keep this part of the show as low as possible and concentrate more of some more serious stories. If they do this, I definitely will continue watching the show. If it turns out as just another Star-crossed version, I'm out as soon as Raven hits the fan
Flag
I'm glad Clark finally got some! She's always looking after/worrying about everyone else. And Finn's had her back since day one, she would have been kind of screwed without him (no pun intended). I liked his meltdown, he's been all calm and collected so far, I thought his freak-out (and wanting to freak out in private), was authentic. If Clark can find Bellamy attractive after he let that guy hang just so he could say "I told you so" then she needs some serious therapy. He might admire her, but it doesn't come across as going both ways (thank God). I think he would work with Raven actually (also because they both seem older). As for The Ark, that whole society is aggravating. Not being able to procure one piece was just RIDICULOUS. Why not tell the person in charge of counting the parts what the hell is going on?! And is it just me, but now that they all need healthcare, and they're going to float all the unimportant citizens, they're suddenly all coloured or latino looking?? What is that about?! All that aside, totally watching onward. I've heard eps 5 & 6 are the best from the early lot, and I'm already really enjoying it. Oh, and hilarious call on the candles- my first thought was, guys, come on, unless you're planning a bee colony, you might want to save some.
More+
Flag
Yes, I am sticking with it. It is progressing into a watchable show. The pilot was way too jumbled and I almost quit, but I am going ahead. Its just not one of my "must-sees".

I was thinking Octavia was hoarding all the product. Her hair is always glossy and flowing.

I wonder if Murphy will try to join the grounders. Or will he find Finn's man cave?

Monty's attempt failed. He did not use enough coconuts. And the girls needed to be pedaling faster.

Bellamy seemed to realize that they have to have some rules, Murphy was still a bully and needed to be exiled.
Flag
I'll hold my judgement on this series until I see episode 5. Episode 5 is described as "mindblowing" by those who have seen it.
Flag
Ehh, it's better than The Secret Circle, but only because they didn't strip away the one thing they promised. (In TSC, that would be magic; they never promised intelligence or logic). 100 kids are dumped back on Earth like canaries in a coal mine, and hijinks ensue. They never said it would make sense once we watched it, nor did they ever say they'd have the sense God gave an elbow, and have the scientists work out the difference betweeen a dead criminal rebellious teen, and a criminal rebellious teen who just took off their bracelet as a final middle finger. This is a CW show, and Plot Twist trumps Logic pret-ty much every time. We have a pretty good idea of what we get into whenever we keep one of their shows on our screens, and for those of us who don't, it's this.

At least here, the pretty-much-the-same-small-blonde-chick-whose-name-also-begins-with-a-'C' is relatively smart, even if she usually finds herself standing around until right after something should've been done. Fortunately, when it counts, everything seems to sit around and wait for her to catch up, be it jaguars, impaled friends, friends painfully dying after being impaled a day or two before, hanging douchebags, confessions, etc. Often, being able to cry over spilled milk is much more important for character development than trying harder to keep the milk in the glass.

Soo, this paragraph isn't (comparatively) too relevant, but I watch General Hospital. My mom got me hooked when I was a child, and though it is almost literally the worst show on television, it often does for me what most comedies can't. Aside from that, it keeps me both grounded and prepared when the Worst Case Scenarios happen: such as confessing something loudly over phone, while turned away from the one door (because having your lips read by someone you can see coming is much more likely than being overheard by someone you can't), or sleeping with someone you like (or don't) riiiight before one of their actual partners shows up, etc. Basically, Bo from One Live To Live described characters in shows like this, like this: "They're stupid when they need to be." (Side note: The actress playing Raven was on General Hospital last year. Her character was stupid, but she was alright.)

Soo, I was prepared that the guy with the goggles whooped and hollered for anything within a five mile radius to hear. I was prepared when the Chancellor left the guy to pretty much run the Ark after trying to kill him and the woman who saved his life. The same woman he's in love with (because show, right?) Same for the guy tripping over his own feet Bella-style while running from acid clouds...and staying on the ground Horror Movie-style so he could show us what death looks like. Why get his leg stuck, or why just make the cloud too fast for the guy in the back? They never promised logic.

Yeah, so after all that, I was certainly prepared that the day after losing the best guy Clarke had ever known (I like to think she figured that out, even if he was as exciting as a goldfish), she hooks up with the first Mr. Inevitable...riiiight before his girlfriend builds an escape pod on The Ark and plops on the foot of their bed...give or take a few miles. I get it: they're 16-18, I was that age a few years ago, and I know that you have to have long (we assume) meaningless sex after you've been bummed out a few times. What happens on Earth, stays on Earth. They were obviously doomed forever once the Asian kid broke everything, I mean, why would intelligent people try their last hope again, but with a radio? Immediate sex on a CW show...hope of rescue...immediate sex on a CW show...

That girl had to die. I get that on a CW show, Teen = stupid, and Child = stupider, but you can't just be a proven psychopath and just walk around like nothing happened. That like a kid stabbing a Governor's kid in the neck because the Governor executed their dad, or something. Sympathy only goes so far, but on a CW show, people should really watch what expressions they say to children.

So, this is watchable so far, but I'd barely put it above Arrow, and I only stubbornly stuck that one out the first season in case Barrowman was gonna fight some more (Parkour goes in the 'Pro' column). So with that said, this might actually last a few years, but I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if it didn't.

Oh yeah, I write before I rifle through earlier posts, so I'm sure someone's reamed the OP already for this, but the knife Bellamy gave that kid is not at all Murphy's knife, nor did they look anything alike. If you're attentive, you can notice cameras cuing on characters' faces when something of value happens, and what you did not see was a hint of guilt on Bellamy's face, nor a spark of recognition that Charlotte was the killer. That was the "Ah, she's got him" look. This is a CW show, and they're not gonna toss something like that in the story without trying to squeeze every last bit of guilt or any other emotion out onto our screens before we forget or no longer care.
More+
Flag
Good call on the knife! I thought that, but then I thought maybe my memory was just bad? I actually liked that Bellamy being nice for ONCE backfired sooo incredibly badly, it was kind of a dark humour moment. (On an Arrow note, once he started sleeping with Sara, I was out. That storyline drives me up the wall completely.)
Flag
Sara...is that What's-Her-Face's sister, or Canary? Hell, both? Aside from Felicity, I don't think anyone's gonna appear for him that anyone else is gonna like. Just a bunch of lolHuntresses.
Flag
This show is really violent and grimy - for a CW show. I like! Thumbs up from me too.
Flag
lol
Flag
I haven't watched this show yet but I do plan on checking it out. The general concensus seems to be that its rather decent. I'll be my own judge. However this review didn't give me anything on why I should or shouldn't watch just seemed like a recap/review of all that's happened up until this point.
Flag
Why you should watch: It's about two groups of people in very interesting situations.

Why you shouldn't watch: It's really stupid. Sometimes so stupid that it makes you laugh.

If you enjoyed season 1 of The Following or Under the dome, then you should give this a shot.
Flag
It is a very passable show so far. I am pleasantly surprised.

The 100 has a historic opportunity to be both a good scifi show and a CW-made-for-the-teens show :)

Unless they go the other way and start with typical teen show c rap, of course

But I think that , if they want, the producers can make it serious/good enough and still keep its audience, due to a show premise - 100 teenagers in the wild...
Flag
So what if it had a 100 adults in the Woods??? Would be doomed? Or is that not basically what AMC has with The Walking Dead???
Flag
Of course not, as we saw it withh the Lost... my point was that cw's target audience are young adults
Flag
God I hope don't give us another love triangle to soon... we have enough of those already... although I have to admit there's a spark growing between Clarke and Bellamy... sorry Finn, I like you but I just don't see it, even if you scored first...
Flag
I like this show, I'll keep watching till the season finale but please please I don't want more love triangles! God knows we don't need more of those.
Flag
It's been 2 days, so if any1 is still reading....here goes....this show is really pretty good. Good cool concept. and I am defintely gonna keep watching. HOWEVER, I wish the writers would make the other kids (that aren't main characters) actually have personalities, instead of being cardboard cutouts...

I mean like soccer chant kid, first he's like "float him, float him!" then he's like "bellamy, belllamy!" but when the shit hit the fan, he was nowhere to bee seen.. Shocker!!!! Cuz his character served his purpose. He's not a real person, he's a plot point.

....and it's like that with Continuum kids bff's who abandon him at the drop of a hat at the end. They had torches!! They coulda set Bellamy ablaze and just said "ok, we're in charge now!" Now I know not everything is GOT, but c'mon some personality in these kids would be nice. Instead of potato chips dressed in human clothes. Thast all I'm saying...
Flag
You know I was thinking the same thing... Damn those writers why just have pretty faces playing anonymous hotties with over active libidos! Let's give them names like Madison Ivy, Jesse Jane, Jenna Haze, Dani Daniels, Mick Blue, Erik The Red, Mr. Pete and so on... Then they will certainly have personality right?

Let's dress them up like Motely Crue circa 1983... It would be like Mad Max crossed with Robin Hood meets Seymour Butts!.

Let's get serious for a second this isn't a Tolstoy novel-- so we will never get to know all 90+ characters in the universe. First off you just don't have enough screen time to do it or it will look like an AA Meeting. Secondly, most of them are only their to remind us that his first wave of people is actually comprised off 90+ people. Thirdly, the budget won't handle any thing like real lines for these characters. If they give them lines individually that means they have to start paying rate. I don't think this production has the budget for 90+ rate pay actors on the screen at all times. So they will only chant things in a group so they can get around the entire actors guild pay scale rate. And finally, most of the 90+ people are probably played by different extras week to week. So it wouldn't be practical to have 6 different Jeremy 1's and Sally 2's.

However, I do agree they do need to create a good group of recurring members to symbolize the different factions in the community. However, again this is a costly proposition so I wouldn't count on seeing any really well developed dynamics between as many possibly factions in the society as they might otherwise have in reality. It will probably be focused on two camps: Clarke's Egalitarian Democratic Camp and Bellamy's Authoritarian-Dictatorship. A bi-polar society is much easier and cheaper to portray in this sort of story instead of delving into the nitty-gritty of all the potential political schemes that could be represented. Also it frees up time for HOTTIES IN ACTION!
More +
Flag
Much to my own surprise this passes my 4 episode test for now. I thought the pilot was a jumbled mess and the 2nd episode was only slightly better. But I like what they have done with the last 2 episodes. Based on the subject matter they are tackling, you can sense they are trying to be more than just your average teen fare. Yes, the Clarke/Finn hook-up tagged at the end felt like typical CW bait...but I think it was also thrown in to end the episode on a lighter note considering how dark it was up until that point.

I'm so glad Murphy won't be in camp now. While I don't agree with the earlier mob violence, I think it was fitting for the gang to banish a guy who has tried to kill 4 people (Wells, Jasper, Charlotte and Clarke). Perhaps with Murphy temporarily gone there will be less animosity in camp and more focus on you know...surviving.

Disappointed there were no signs of Grounders in this one. I hope they pick up that plot thread soon.
Flag
I'm sorry , Finn , but there is much more chemistry between Clarke and Bellamy. IMHO. Greetings from Italy.
Flag
really? i mean, i see your point but bearing in mind Finn scored first...
Flag
Poor Charlotte. I hope she somehow managed to survive that leap. Damn that little kid was brave.

Murphy. Ugh. Such a dick. He sure changed his tune after Charlotte skipped off the cliff, didn't he? "Oh shit, she's dead! Let's talk this out, Bellamy!" What the hell did he think would happen if he did anything to her? Unfortunately, I imagine this bag of dicks will turn out to be more like a cockroach. He'll probably turn up episodes later in charge of a group of savages. Because why not?

Bellamy's not so great either. The show keeps trying to paint him as a softie on the inside, but GD, is he an idiot or what? He keeps effing things up for everyone.

I'm gonna keep watching, but something needs to change.
Flag
I actually liked Murphy's reaction, because even though he was so angry and everyone assumed he was going to kill Charlotte (including him), I don't think he would have actually done it. Like When Bellamy couldn't kill Atom- there's a difference between being angry, beating someone up, being a dick, and actual murder. When she jumped over the cliff you could see that brutal moment where Murphy was as horrified as the rest of them, because deep down he hadn't really intended to go THAT far. Richard Harmon's a pretty brill actor like that.
Flag
I loved this episode it was great, poor Charlotte even though she had a brain snap and killed someone she still didn't deserve what that asshole was going to do to her. Well raven is Finns squeeze back on the boat and now he's having sex with Clark, I wonder how that's going to go down when they find her, I can't wait.
Flag
Murphy is a weasley mofo, surely the remainder of his role will mostly involve him obsessing over his revenge.
I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually works his way up the ranks and leads the grounders to kill off the 100 (93) that exiled him.
Flag
I figured he had to disappear for a bit because the actor's also contracted to Continuum.
Flag
And... Fortunately, Charlotte landed on Pillow Forest.

Any excuse is good to kill douchebags, especially with Murphy's facial expression.

hey, weren't they supposed to get supplies in the pilot? They are not even trying anymore? It's not like they can take the luxury of doing without them.

The voice-over in the opening credits says that the One Hundred is the Ark's last hope. Methinks if I were in charge of the Ark and we were, like, dying, I'd send a group of the bravest, most dedicated and capable officers to the surface and try to make things work no matter what because, you know, Ark's last hope! Now I'm sure the people in the Ark can take comfort in the fact their fate is in the hand of 100 juvenile delinquents.

Despite that, the show is enjoyable. But I couldn't care less about the Clarke-Finn-Raven love triangle. Come on, please!
Flag
Even though I liked the girl, especially since she stabbed and killed someone, I would be thoroughly disapointed if she is not dead.
Flag
I would've told the girl to look at the flowers. Look at the flowers!
Flag
The problem on the Ark is their leadership council has no common sense. Nobody supports Abby's theory that the Earth is in a livable state. Instead of sending valuable scientists down there they would rather send a bunch of "expendables". Those kids are basically canaries in the coal mine. However, if Kane finds out that the earth is livable I wouldn't be surprised if he volunteered to take a team down there to "secure the planet". And when he finally leaves the Ark he will likely make it so that nobody else can follow. Then it becomes a battle between the kids vs. Kane's forces . The Grounders can be the wild card.
Agree about the supplies. What have they been eating?
Flag
If the kids are canaries, the Ark government would need better ways to monitor their condition. Send a couple volunteers as guards, a last but necessary sacrifice for the collective. They would radio the Ark and tell them what was really going on. The bracelets would be useful only to get the Ark the delinquents' medical data.

The kids may be canaries, but what options do the people in the Ark have in case Earth turns out not to be viable? The Moon? Mars? No, there are none. It's Earth or bust! So, I maintain that they should their best to Earth, open a new pioneer front and hope for the best, or die trying, because death is the alternative to failure in any case.
Flag
Considering the last time they invaded the Grounders territory it resulted in Jasper being impaled with a spear and used as bait they probably decided not to risk it to try and get the supplies.
Flag
Yeah, nobody said it was gojng to be easy, but it looks like they don't have much of a choice.
Flag
Murphy is going to join the grounders.
Flag
its a kind of cliche that is really predictable by now...

considering the circumstances :/
Flag
Agreed. He's going to come back as their new king and absolute ruler!
Flag
I can't be dealing with Richard Harmon on my screen for both Continuum AND The 100. His face drives me into a weird rage that I can't explain. I just want to punch him right in the kisser. Yes I know issues probably.
Flag
I know right he has a punchable face and his characters both here and on continuum invoke a powerful rage inside, much like how I feel about Daniel in revenge every episode I'm coming up with new ways to plot his death.
Flag
Fellow psychos unite to punch mean looking fellas in the mouth!
Flag
lol WTH
Flag
YES! He has that kind of face, doesn't he?
Flag
Ironically by frying the wrists brands Monty's did what needed to be done, he sent a signal to the arc that they are still alive, no other explanations to what the technician saw would fit, someone fried the bracelets, and someone would have to be alive to do that.

Then again they weren't smart enough to figure out that teenangers might remove the bracelets just to be rebellious brats.

Mr Kane the dictator isn't going to let that little inconvenience to stop him from trying to seize control of the station and slaughtering a few hundred people through.

No it not okay to murder people because they are big dicks but there an exception to every rule, shame we can't ask Charlotte to do the honour and murder Bellamy for us.

I will be sticking around for the show, which is much much better than TTP.

Flag
Logical recourse is still to send all 300 plus people to Earth no matter what. The simple reason-- if you send them two Earth they at least have the potential of survival. That is a lot better than telling people we're going to have a rigged lottery that disposes of 300 people who aren't exactly on Kane's Good List! So that means trouble makers, low level workers, and political adversaries the sort of people that contradict Kane's plan to take over the Human POPULATION!
Flag
My theory on why don't is that they would to cannibalise the station to build enough ships to send them all down to the earth.
Flag
That is a good point. But you would figure this you need to get 300 or more people out of the space station within 6 months. The question is this if you even suspect the Earth is the least bit capable of supporting life than it makes sense to send as many people as possible to the surface. The more you send now. The longer the rest of the people in space have to figure out how to support themselves and survive.

Also the fact that space stations are dying means that humans need to go Earth any way. It is a better chance to survive on the Surface than to walk out an airlock. So usually given the choice between certain death and possible death-- humans are oddly optimistic about these mattes. You could find hundreds of people will to take a risk on Earth instead of being pushed out of an air-lock certain death!

Also by giving people the chance to survive on the Earth's surface the survivors in Space now have a means to relieve the guilt of surviving. So, everything points to idea that getting people off the space station as the best way to maintain the society.

At this point I'm not clear why Clarke's father would be killed. It makes more sense to put him in charge of developing a exodus mission of say 1000 or perhaps even 2000. Reducing the population of the Space Station by 1/3 or 2/3s is the best way to ensure the space population survives. Also with 1000-2000 on the ground it allows you to build and construct a viable ground presence.
More +
Flag
May be sending down more than the 1 ship they had ready to go would make the station unviable to the rest of the people aboard the station, any more than that one ship and perhaps the pod an it a all or nothing proposition. Personally I suspect they haven't got enough space crafts to take more than 400 people down to earth.

Why would nations needlessly expend resources putting more space return vessels into orbit than they need. An I don't see where they would get the materials from to build more.

Council kept the secret that the environmental systems are failing perhaps they also kept the secret that only a 400 hundred of them could ever return to the planet in the first place.
Flag
Great show acturally. Much better than many shows on the CW network.
Flag
Up until the last couple minutes I would have said this was a really good episode but Clarke and Finn hooking up just felt too shoe-horned in order to contrive relationship drama. And the risks Raven is taking for him suggests she and Finn had a very serious relationship (side note: Raven is badass). In that case, doesn't the fact Finn has been flirting with Clarke since the moment before they stepped off the ship make him kind of a tool? I assume we're supposed to think part of that last-scene freak out was him upset he'd never see Raven again but - really? He hasn't even mentioned her. Unless they're broken up and Raven is just really bad at moving on.

As this is a CW show, I assume Clarke and Bellamy will eventually hook up. Obviously, I'm in no hurry for that to happen (love square? no thank you) but I'm starting to think they'd actually be quite a good match. And I liked the growth of Clarke considering that there are downsides to 100% disclosure (and that maybe she and her father were wrong to want to expose the Ark's oxygen problems), and also accepting that Bellamy was right about not inciting a lynch mob. She was far less annoying this episode.

Before this episode, I was going to drop the whole show. Now.. I like Raven. I like Bellamy. I like Octavia and Jasper. The adults are interesting. I feel like that's enough to make me come back.

Also, I thought it was appropriate and kind of heartbreaking that the kids jumped straight to 'float him' as punishment. It's all they know, and what a warped life they've led.
More+
Flag
I dropped the show completely... but after reading your post, I'm going to give it another shot. What do you think?
Flag
Well.. I'm not at the point where I can fully recommend it. But it definitely seems to improve and as long as they continue not to play up the soapy, cliche teen romance aspect, probably worth another whirl. This latest ep was genuinely entertaining.
Flag
Yes it was. I also prefer Bellamy and Clarke. Finn has been on her ass from before they landed. I just can't seem to like his character (Finn).
Flag
Actually, Finn and Clarke was one of the only honest things I think happened in the entire episode... Don't you remember being 16-18 years old? If you had half a chance to spend most of your days naked with a member of the opposite sex-- what do you think you would do? I know what did given half that chance!

Flag
I appreciate the fact you posted a version with lyrics. Just to really emphasise the point.

If after this, Finn and Clarke honestly agree it was just meaningless, horny-teenager sex then most of my objections will dissolve. My pet peeve is when characters are thrown together and I'm told they have a deep, profound connection despite me not seeing much evidence of it on the screen. Sure, Finn and Clarke seem to have become good friends and like eachother. I haven't really felt enough chemistry though to justify the sudden tearing off of clothes at the end. Intercut with Finn's girlfriend sailing down to Earth, it feels particularly contrived.
Flag
Well, sadly it actually doesn't have the lyrics...

However, let's be honest if you're a 17 year living on your own in a highly dangerous environment--you feel a little attraction towards someone else well you're going to act on it. And meaningless or not you're going to continue to act on it until some one breaks it off for some reason. Now, of course we know that reason is Raven. But you know what this kid has no reason to believe that Raven will show up on his door step in a 100 year old Russian Escape Pod. Nor does anyone else know what might happen after all their wrist bands go dead. So people are going to act as if they have nothing better to do but, the person next to them.
Flag

You just know that kid who floated herself off the cliff isn't dead.. sighs.

Sure they have 100 brats and can afford to cull 90+ but they won't cull the ones they introduce with dialogue.

Its the "Star Trek" syndrome. New ensign take the helm because by the end of the episode to make this show feel intense, edgy, your dead.
Flag
I'm Team GROUNDERS!!!
Kill the kids, drink their blood!
Flag
If the grounders were that evil they wouldn't have warned the kids about the fog.
Flag
I liked this and I am sticking around. Crisis is better and I would be watching that as well.

The 100 has lots of potential for new exciting stories so I am looking forward to that.

How will Clarke and Bellamy set the rules on earth? Who are the grounders? I am suspecting they might adopt Murphy and he will come back to take revenge on everyone especially Clarke and Bellamy.

Will Raven able to contact the Ark once she is down on earth? How are politics in the Ark going to play out. I am suspecting the 2nd in command is going to drive a plot to be number one but it is kind of stupid since the ark is dying with only months left. What is the point of ruling for a few months?

Only does he know another way to save the Ark but is keeping quiet for now? The lady who betrayed Clark's mum and Raven is also an interesing character. I hope they bring her back.

So many areas that can be explored. I hope the writers eventually will.
Flag
Kane said he would kill everyone until they were down to the last adam and eve to preserve the race.
Not only is he insane, he clearly has no concept of genetic diversity either and inbreeding isn't such a good idea for preserving the human race.
Flag
I suspect the lady who gave Clark mum up will be one of Kane first victims he line up when it time to choose who is to die to preserve the station.
Flag
The show is ok for now, nothing "super exciting" but watchable. Perhaps it could go into the "Lost" direction at this point to make it more exciting, but so far it has only made a weak attempt at it.
Flag
I didn't give it four episodes, only 2 & 1/2.
Flag
I'm sorry, I don't get why TV.com is so excited about this show. It's fine, but still nothing special. The characters are so 2D. Okay, yes, compared to some other CW shows, it's not bad, but that's not a good scale.

Reign is great! I also think The Tomorrow People is a better show than this as well.

Star-Crossed is one of the worst things I have ever seen.

And I'm so over TVD and The Originals.

Anyways, not a fan, not really sure why people are into The 100. Sorry, don't mean to bash, just don't understand the hype.
Flag
Reign is great. The Tomorrow People is better.. but it wasn't always. It was completely dreadful in the early episodes and I think the 100 has got off to a stronger start (which is a shame, as I'd rather TTP was renewed of the two).

Star-Crossed is one of the worst things I've seen too.

I'm over TVD but The Originals is kind of fab. Whether they can maintain it without Rebekah? Jury's out.

Arrow is currently the best show on the CW by a mile.
Flag
Star-Crossed is like Xanadu crossed District Nine... Played out with Teenagers... I personally love the fact it has "Miss Teen California 2009" Runner Number 1 or 2 or 3 (whatever) Chelsea Gilligan which makes it extremely watchable in my opinion-- my dirty old man scale hit 11 out 10 to quote from Spinal Tap!
Flag
What about Arrow? I watched the first two episodes but couldn't get into it. When did it officially pick up?
Flag
I didn't like it at all at first either. (That seems to be a pattern with me and CW shows, which may be why I'm more willing to give the 100 a few more episodes). Then one day I realised I wasn't just putting it on in the background and ignoring it but was actually paying attention and interested.

The bad news is, it takes a while. I can't remember exactly but I feel like it isn't until episode 8 or 9 it picks up (or any time Felicity Smoak is on screen). And in my opinion, S2 has (mostly) been even better. No sophomore slump on that show.
Flag
Hot Sexy BEEFCAKE PEOPLE!!!!
Flag
I think Murphy has the most potential for dramatic change. I'd like to see exactly what it takes for him to shift from blame to acclaim.
Flag
I dont like the actor playing Murphy and for me he could be killed off. He is mean looking and typecasted. I would however like to see him in a completely different role in another show.
Flag
Why? I think he is really rockin' as the molested individual with a grudge against everyone!

Flag
True, he does those roles fairly well, here and on Continuum.

On the other hand I would like to see what he can do with a "positive" role.
Flag
This is a pretty good show, though I admit I probably wouldn't have started watching it if so many of my other shows weren't on hiatus, and I was home sick this week with nothing to do. I like some of the characters, though none of them have hugely grabbed me yet, except maybe Raven. I'll stick with it for now.
Flag
I'll keep watching. Still entertaining. And... love triangles and teens exploring sexuality while alone and somehow hopeless about their survival in a post apocalyptic world don't bother me at all. That's just another ingredient to the show. As a matter of fact, it'll be interesting to see how they manage to develop those relationships. For instance, this whole Finn/Clarke thing is natural because she was definitely going to fall for the "rebel&sweet guy", but at the same time it's kind of boring, so I think it would be interesting to make her notice Bellamy. It is kind of predictable too, but at least he represents the challenge, the love and hate emotions, the fight for the leadership... That always pays off.
Flag
I still don't know how I feel about this show. On the one hand, there's all the sci-fi stuff on the space station that is fairly compelling. On the other hand, there's all the shit on Earth that is just dull and cliched and full of CW tropes. Honestly, Wells was the character in which I had the most interest, and with him gone, there's little on the planet's surface to appeal to me.
Flag
I will be sticking around but I hope the show focuses more on story other than the romance aspect because they don't need that to drive the plot.
Flag
I was hope for more romance myself... Nothing says TEENAGE APOCALYPSE LIKE A LOVE PYRAMID!!! I think the casting agent took a look at Dr. Strangelove before they cast the female leads:

Flag
Clarke uses the dry shampoo method, obvs.
Flag
I really don't know what to make of this show. I really appreciate what they're trying to do, I'm just not so sure about their execution.

"Charlotte used Murphy's knife to do the deed—a knife Bellamy had given to Charlotte during the acid fog"

That isn't the knife Bellamy gave her. That one was a "traditional" shiv unlike the yellow wrap around style knife they found. It's hard to tell, but I'm not even sure that's the knife she stabbed him with. There's either a massive continuity problem or there's more to the story. As soon as I saw the knife I presumed that somebody was setting up Douchey McShoulderpad...and Charlotte didn't strike me as the one to do it. But then it was never talked about again, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

So, last week, the only Black character in a speaking role on the show gets killed. Within the context of his character (and his father) I get it. This week, random background Black dude gets pissed on? WTF?!? I'm not one to draw connections where there aren't any, but...once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence...if there's a third, it will be a trend. At this point, I'm just glad the other random background Black dude wasn't the one accused and was strung up from a tree. That would have been my breaking point.

I like the progression of Clarke and Bellamy as well as Clarke and Finn...but my favourite pairing is Jasper and Octavia. It only took near death for him to get a little play...but I'm guessing he thinks it was worth it. Nice, fairly light relationships with the potential to grow, but within the context of their environment. Perfect. Bellamy's girl/wife showing up to create a love triangle was clearly going to happen from the moment she insisted on being a passenger in the pod. We'll see if they turn this into a soap.

That said, I don't know if I'm gonna be around to see it. This is a pretty borderline series for me. Maybe I'll float it from my schedule and if I'm bored one rainy summer day, I'll pick up from where ever I left off. And hopefully by then, they'll start giving the brothas some respect...or at least basic decency.
More+
Flag
So I'm guessing that Prussian Blue isn't on your Ipod? What a shame-- I was so hoping for a Cameo of the Prussian Blue Twins as the Mothers of White Supremacist Grounders! I guess I'll have to put that in the spank bank along with Pryanka Chopra ... But ask yourself this why is the primary female lead a blue eyed and blonde Aryan Goddess... MIEN FUHRER... I CAN WALK! And Little Herman CAN STAND TALL WITHOUT ANY BLUE PILLS!!!! NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST REALLY AROUSES ME! BRING IT ON MIEN FUHRER!!!!

I think the bigger problems:

1) Who Cut Off Wells' Fingers? Charlotte Stabbed Him-- She wasn't disfiguring the body!
2) Air Pressure Regulator-- well, why not just use SPACE SUITS?
3) Black Marketeer-- giving up evidence to Kane who already suspects her of wrong doing... can you say airlock mate for 20 seconds. Besides if they put them in the air-lock they would probably remove all the o2 before opened the outer door... Otherwise they would waste 02.
4) Where do you get ink in space?
5) Charcoal-- is made from wood... in fact it is made from burnt wood! Who is going to be stupid enough to burn wood in space? Fire in a space station is one of the greatest fears. Like a submarine--except you cannot surface to replenish your o2 supply.
6) It takes the brainiacs all episode to think of Banishment.
7) How many people in this society would really care about Wells' Untimely Death? Not many he is the totem of the Ark Power anyway and I would bet his life was numbered any way.
8) Bombshelters that manage to last without repairs for hundreds of years.... yeah right

More +
Flag
Could it have been the knife he threw into the tree just before the end of the episode? Maybe she pulled it out from the tree and used it.

I honestly don't recall what the knives from the previous episode looked like.
Flag
I think so. Charlotte returned the original knife to Bellamy when they needed to kill Atom. I'm pretty sure she took Murphy's knife from the tree to use on Wells.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I thought she was Finn's.
Flag
You thought who was Finn's?
Flag
Ravin.
Flag
No problem. Next week is going to be interesting...
Flag
Correct, my bad
Flag
The ratings aren't very promising for this show so it might not matter whether it's worth sticking with or not.
Flag
Ratings or not, I believe the show has been renewed for a season 2.
Flag
Where did you read that?
Flag
Here: http://www.classicalite.com/articles/7201/20140403/cw-s-new-100-renewed-star-crossed-cancelled-predictions.htm
Flag
That article just says they're predicting it will get renewed - it hasn't actually been renewed yet.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members