A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

The 100 S01E05: "Twilight's Last Gleaming"

After weeks of me begging for a sharper focus on the dire situation and the complicated politics affecting the people of the Ark, The 100 finally delivered in the form of "Twilight's Last Gleaming." Maybe it's just a result of this week's Earth storyline centering on the Clarke/Finn/Raven love triangle, but the Hundred's attempt to send a message to the Ark was much less compelling than what was happening up in space. Even if the Hundred had wandered into a Grounders luau and started doing body shots, I'm not sure they could've competed with the Ark's self-sacrifice story. I mean, sorry Finn, but your love for two ladies will never trump a father who kills himself so that his daughter—who's suffering optic nerve damage as a result of oxygen depravation—can live.

The 100 has spent most of its early episodes focusing on the Hundred and their survival, which makes sense because the series is called The 100, but these attractive teenagers weren't just sent to Earth to get laid in bomb shelters, and they certainly weren't sent to Earth to start a harem (WTF, Bellamy? Who do you think you are, Gaius Baltar? GTFO). No, they were sent to Earth for a reason: to determine whether the planet is habitable. The stories about Clarke and the rest of the Hundred have carried most of the series' weight until now, and that's smart because they've created a solid foundation upon which the rest of the show can rest. Over the last few weeks, the Hundred have built a wall to protect themselves, and they've started drawing boundaries and setting up a basic infrastructure—all very sensible things. But while The 100 has kept itself busy building out its world on Earth, it's sometimes been easy to forget about the plight of the Ark and the real reason the Hundred are even on Earth. Oxygen deprivation isn't a joke, though, and going into "Twilight's Last Gleaming," the show was finally in a place to not only take on this dark and serious storyline. Even better, the episode handled it very well. 

Of course, I don't mean to suggest that teens murdering each other is a "lighthearted" topic; Charlotte's leap to her death last week to keep the rest of Hundred safe certainly isn't something we should forget about anytime soon. But watching the Chancellor struggle with how to reduce the population of the Ark without causing panic was an equally heavy storyline. Kane hatched a plan to eliminate a large number of people "by accident": Close the vents of Section 17, pump in some sleeping gas, and then cut off the oxygen supply. But from what I understand, the Ark is organized by function/industry, so wouldn't people's sleeping quarters be organized the same way? Wouldn't killing the population of an entire section possibly wipe out essential personnel and a large number of people whose jobs are similar in nature? I mean, it doesn't actually matter because that's not what eventually happened—Kane's plan was nixed when Abby released the video Jake made before he died because the Chancellor decided he'd rather go down with his people (a noble, if stupid, move)—but it's something to think about. 

Abby's quick, bold thinking alerted the entire population to a major flaw in the Ark's system. Instead of inducing panic, however, it led to one of the darkest and most emotionally affecting storylines I've seen in awhile, not only on The CW, but on broadcast television in general. Men and women lined up to offer up their lives in the name of the greater good. The 100 even made me care about characters it only introduced in this episode, simply by shining a light on their relationships and on an object as inconsequential as a barrette. As a race, we humans are mostly selfish beings. Many of us wouldn't hesitate to put our own needs first—we look out for number one. But when fathers and mothers and husbands and wives began dropping their tags so their loved ones could live longer, all of a sudden, I felt like I was watching a different show. 

My first worry was that the series wouldn't go through with something quite so dark. On the ground, the Hundred had already discovered Raven's pod, and learned that Bellamy had attempted to destroy the radio to save his own ass. They were preparing to launch rockets to alert the Ark to the fact they were still alive. I definitely expected someone on the Ark to see those rockets and rush in at the last second to keep the oxygen flowing—so when that didn't happen and all those brave people suffocated, The 100 showed us how high the stakes are, as well as how far it's willing to go to illustrate the harsh realities of this world.

Prior to "Twilight's Last Gleaming," we knew The 100 was comfortable with depicting the savagery on the ground, and although this episode's mass suffocation was not a savage act, it was still a bold move. The people on the Ark have bought themselves a bit of time, and Abby and the Chancellor witnessed the rockets' red glare, which means they know Earth is habitable. But how that knowledge will come into play for Abby and her fellow Ark residents remains to be seen. It's not as if they have unlimited transportation to the ground, and both times they've sent people to the surface, their landings have been less than ideal. There are several thousand people still living on the Ark, and I suspect we haven't seen the last of the turmoil in space. Once the word gets out that Earth is once again able to sustain human life, I think we might see the frenzy we thought we'd see this week, as people selfishly fight to be the first ones off that damn space station. It would be a nice juxtaposition with the quiet and haunting imagery of self-sacrifice. 

But for now, all we can do is speculate. The 100 continues to surprise me week after week when it zigs where I expect it to zag, so it's completely possible none of that will transpire. Either way, I'm definitely interested to find out what's next.

VITAL STATS

– I avoided talking about the love triangle as much as I could, because it truthfully feels inconsequential in light of everything else that happened in "Twilight's Last Gleaming," but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention it in the notes. Clarke and Finn confessed that they both needed and wanted their heated moment of passion with each other because of what it apparently represented. And then Raven swooped in and stuck her tongue in Finn's kind-of-hesitant mouth and Clarke was all, "Can we not?" when Finn tried to apologize. He really thought he'd never see Raven again, even though he hadn't given up hope—but that's still not really a reason to cheat on your girlfriend, bro. However, I do like that Clarke didn't rage and try to set Finn's sex bunker on fire. She handled the situation pretty maturely. Unfortunately it looks like the love triangle is here to stay, so I better stock up on barf bags and mechanisms that will keep my eyeballs from rolling completely out of my head. 

– "One decision does not define a man," is what Kane said to the Chancellor in an attempt to prevent him from joining the men and women in Section 17, but that notion could also apply to Bellamy. His decision to shoot the Chancellor to get aboard the Earth-bound ship to protect Octavia (who looks like she's about to be kidnapped by the Grounders) doesn't mean he's not completely redeemable. Nor does his decision to thwart all means of communication with the Ark. But when he threw the radio into the creek, I did write a big "F*CK YOU, BELLAMY" in my notes, because I appear to have some unresolved anger issues regarding his dedication to saving his own ass.

– Clarke told Bellamy he wasn't a murderer this week, which is true, but felt ridiculous coming out of her mouth as a way to get through to him. 

– Am I the only one who got a little Battlestar Galactica feel during the Section 17 scene? And I don't just mean because Alessandro Juliani popped up again this week.

– Kane proved he isn't completely heartless this week when he convinced the Chancellor not to join the men and women in Section 17. He could've easily let the Chancellor die so that he could take the Chancellor's place, which I suspect would be Kane's ultimate dream, but he did the right thing in convincing the Chancellor to stay behind. And Kane wasn't wrong—a shift in power at this time probably would do more harm than good. I like you, Kane. I like you a lot.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You are definitely not the only one who felt all "Battlestar Galactica" this episode. In fact the finale of BSG's first season was called "Kobol's Last Gleaming", so make of that what you will. And of course Geata's on this show too, to help us all look at this as BSG's spiritual successor.

And frankly, it's getting there. This show has balls, and I'm starting to think that the only reason the 100 were supposed to be under 18 was so the show's creators could pitch it to the CW as reaching their target audience. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole angsty drama is left behind, and they conveniently forget to remind us that those 24-year-old actors are actually playing teenagers.

Paige Turco's a great start (assuming they don't kill her off), but a little more veteran star power, ala Edward James Almos, plus a revamped soundtrack by McCreary or someone equally competent, would bump this up to must-watch TV, and start getting this thing talked about.
Flag
What I would like to see down the road for this show is more Clark and Bellamy interaction. I like how the two characters challenge each other morally so far. It kind of mirrors the relationship of Abby and Kane on the ark. Plus I don't mind the pace of the show to set up character relationships and complications. It's only the 5th episode of it's debut, so I can forgive it as it's trying to find it's stride.
Flag
Yes, I too like the way they mirror Clark/Bellamy with Abby/Kane. It's important that the writers continue to show these parallels between the ship and earth. It makes the show much more interesting to see how the two age groups deal with the ongoing challenges of ethics, survival and fading hope.
Flag
This "might" sound a little strange but one thing that really got me was the boots. There were any number of terrible images from places like Dachau & Belsen one that always stuck in my mind was one of what seemed like a mountain of shoes and boots taken off the inmates. So when ethe 320 were walking into Section 17 and dumping thier boots in a big pile....
Flag
Bellamy, love, you've done everything this mess to look after your sister, and now that she has disappeared for like half a day you don't even notice?!?! SRSLY!?

Clarke, when Finn told you he were with you just to make his "first hearth sex " and not because it was into you ... MAYBE HE WERE SERIOUS! 3:)

Houston, we have a problem: I'm not an expert and maybe I'm wrong, but really three balloons launched by pseudo catapults ( made by teens with no appropriate tools) can be seen from space? Let me know, please.

Greetings from Italy
Flag
I'm going to assume the tools needed to build the rockets were supplied by Raven who pre-packed the pod to be prepared for anything. She strickes me as the type of person who would go anywhere without her tool belt.
Flag
Oh nooesss. That's like 300 people that just died there, show. That makes me sad. But hey, Kane's character gets yet another layer. He is most definitely my favourite.

I also liked the fact they made it clear that Kane and the Chancellor do see eachother for exactly what they are i.e. the Chancellor knows Kane is ruthless but also intelligent and pragmatic and - with his eyes wide open - decided that was the type of person they needed to lead them during the crisis. Personally, I think the Chancellor sacrificing himself would have been foolish and am in agreement with just about everyone except the Chancellor on that. So definitely glad they managed to convince him otherwise.

Lots of frustration with Bellamy this episode. Eurgh. So selfish, dude. The fact their plan failed and the people died anyway is probably a good thing story-wise. At the very least, it highlights to him that there are repercussions to such selfish tool behaviour (when he eventually finds out). And it raises the stakes for the entire show. I still don't feel like anybody we're attached to is in danger but perhaps they'll get there.

I want Raven and the other smarty-tech-guy (?name) to just hang out together for an episode and see what crazy and genius devices they can create.

The love triangle felt very minor this episode, so I don't really have many complaints. Apart from the obligatory eye-roll at their post-coitus sweet nothings it mostly factored into the background for me. And however unlikely that may be, hopefully it stays there.

Overall, good episode. I feel like I'm going to have to start treating this as a proper show soon rather than one I still have on trial. That's two enjoyable episodes in a row.

More+
Flag
Just remembered that Wells died and he was definitely a main character. Perhaps the fact I'm so quick to forget he ever existed says it all. Poor Chancellor, though.
Flag
How did Bellamy not notice that his sister was missing in the end?
Flag
Too stupid for me now.

First... I fail to see how these kids are surviving on Earth for over a week. None of these kids have run more than 50', climbed a tree, hunted, fished, dealt with Earth bacteria, etc. 100 teens would eat 200kg worth of food per day. Your average lost hiker isn't looking good after two days. After a week, these kids should be starving, diarrhea from the water, rashes, infections from minor injuries, poisoning from the wrong plants, hunting accidents, etc.

Second, these kids have no fear. They have never seen an insect, tree, river, etc. yet they run around like it is club med. Some is murdered, someone has a spear through their chest (and somehow lives), they are attacked by a giant river snake and a giant panther, so they build a wall and then keep going off alone in the woods alone in the dark.

Third, the romance is sickening. After 24 hours without food, the desire for sex is typically a distant memory. The love triangle is beyond stupid.

Forth, what is the chance that a capsule sent to Earth is going to arrive within a few miles of the previous landing spot? What is the chance of finding a capsule in thousands of square miles of forest? Why don't kids get lost in the dark? Why doesn't an animal attack them? Does anyone think that sending up a few homemade rockets is going to be seen by people in a space station thousands of miles away?
More+
Flag
OK, the Grounders probably already have their future king, Murphy, and now, their queen, Octavia.
Flag
Murphy better watch his back because Octavia will stab a knife through it at her first opportunity and take the iron throne for herself.

ops wrong show.
Flag
That was by far the best episode of the series for me. I'd always thought The 100 started with a strong start, with not too much of The CW's typical teen romance stuff. This episode really cemented The 100 as a more mature, darker show and I love it :)
Flag
Kane is nothing but trouble. My guess as to why he didn't want Jaha to die is to protect himself, if the people get angry, it's at him. My predictions for the future is that the people will get upset with Jaha, and either kill him before Abby tells them not to, or Kane will kill him to please the people, and put himself in charge, with him then looking like the good guy. But, he will likely be foiled when Abby encourages people to rise up against him, as long as they listen and he doesn't kill her first.
Anyway, it was a great episode, and I actually kind of hoped that Raven would find out about Clarke and Finn and then both girls would hate him. Because I hate him. Can a little girl please kill him too? And also if the grounder speaks English I will be very mad. And my guess with him is that he's not bad and helps Octavia.
Flag
The one that rescue Octavia will obviously turn out to be good. Not sure about the others through, I guessing there will be more than one group of grounders through. I doubt we will find out next episode, Octavia kidnapper will rescue our little group from the other grounders and disappear back into the jungle before they can ask questions.

Flag
I miss BSG and that scene was very it, which is great. I liked this episode it was nice to finally put a face in the grounders, poor Octavia. I like Finn and I like Clark, but I love raven some how I think and hope that the love triangle doesn't become a love triangle, Clark handled the whole thing very well and in most other shows her character would have gone all nuts and punched him then took very thing out of his bunker and went all revenge mode so I'm glad that didn't happen.
Flag
The Ark scenes definitely felt like a BSG throwback and I loved it!
Flag
They need to kill Clarke, if shes not getting full frontal scenes and only there for ménage à triangle action then float me already!!
Flag
I definitely got a Battlestar Galactica vibe out of this episode. I kept expecting a last minute save, even to the very last second. I never expected for these 300 people to die, especially not after showing them on screen. Good move!

The 100 is a really good concept for a show, I only wish it was on a network that had a better history in handling Scifi and dark themes.
Flag
I'm with you on how his show is a good concept and how a good foundation to be great, even though I like this show and it growing on me they could have gone to a much darker place which would have added so much value to the show.
Flag
HEY APPLE OF FUTURE. WHAT THE F*** HAVE YOU DONE WITH IPAD ?

Flag
Talking about Battlestar Galactica. The season one, two part finale was called Kobol's Last Gleaming. So no not the only one.
Flag
Wow, extremely strong episode for such a young show. The section 17 bit was unbelievably powerful. I'm looking forward to next week!
Flag
This is dark.
10 year old girl killing a good guy cutting his fingers and then singing over his dead body.
Then she sacrificed herself by jumping off the cliff to prevent infightings among the 100.
darkest of all , 320 ppl sacrificed their lives voluntarily to save their loved ones. never expected this from a teen show on cw.

I think this story was meant to be an adult show. the 100 were supposed to be adult criminals. CW due to its habits changed that to 100 teenagers.

Flag
I think the book that is based on IS about teenagers (I haven't read it yet). It is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-100-Kass-Morgan/dp/1444766880/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1397818045&sr=1-1

A lot of supposed Young Adult fiction is, I find, a lot more emotional and dark than a lot of adult fiction. I read a lot but to be honest, at the moment, I always enjoy the YA books a lot more than standard fiction and I am in my late 30's.
Flag
Honestly with the exception of a couple of shows, the CW hasn't really been a "teen" station in quite awhile. Now it is more Genre shows than pretty much any other network. Granted most of those have younger actors, but still, its a nice change.
Flag

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this show is going to dwell on love triangles. The book has a huge love triangle involving Clarke (even though it is different characters involved), and I don't think the Raven storyline will go away quickly. I also see them slowly moving towards a Finn/Clarke/Bellamy triangle as well.
Flag
The writers said they wouldn't dwell on it. .
Flag
I'm inclined to believe that. Every plot point in this show moves at a brisk pace. Wells' murderer was uncovered quickly, Murphy banished early on, Finn's girlfriend Raven is already on earth and the big bad secret about the oxygen depletion is out in the open. If they start doing random love triangles I think it will be the same case of not lingering too long and just moving on.
Flag
Yeah, I just hope they don't end up making the love triangles the main focus of the show
Flag
What I really liked was it wasn't even until about fifteen minutes in that I realized that the A plot was the Ark and they were totally treating the kids as a B plot. I think my only regret is that I don't imagine we are going to get quite as much of what basic life is like up there before we find most of them on the ground. I do think we are going to probably get lottery sort of stories where many people are anxious to go and how they figure out who will go and who will stay and what order. Because it seems likely that not everyone will want to really risk it, like there are some who are like it is still too early. Heck, just to keep a possible safe haven around. Or even, they are in orbit, right? There has to be a limited window when if they left they would be joining their people. And initially there will probably be an anxious need to go, but you know a radio will get down there and they will hear about the storms and the grounders and even the unusual animals and interpret that as the earth is not ready just yet, and then some people will want to stay to take care of those left behind (you could see Abby and Kane making that decision for their own reasons)

I really appreciated that they also effectively built up the tension with the kids working to get the rockets going. They did really make it look like they could get the rockets up in time.

I have a feeling that they will be sort of trading off who carries the plot from here on out. Like next week on the Ark there will be a lot of discussion probably among the counsel about the rockets and whether and how they should tell everyone and if it means what they thought it meant especially since Raven went there with a radio and how they are going to go about getting people to earth, so the more action sequence will be the kids looking for Octavia and us getting our glimpse into who the Grounders actually are (randomly, does anyone have any idea where they actually are? I don't know the Applachian, and I don't know what but that's what it looks like, mountains that well and I thought the name of the mountain Clarke et al were looking for in the pilot was a real place).
More+
Flag
"Clarke told Bellamy he wasn't a murderer this week, which is true, but felt ridiculous coming out of her mouth as a way to get through to him. "

I agree that it is weird coming from her, but it makes sense to me as to why they had her do it. She's kind of hailed as the good leader of the two, and he views her as a "princess" goodie goodie , so it means more when she isn't insulting him because its rare of her not to be. Also, he needed to hear that to remind him who he is outside of the shooting the chancellor episode.

One thing that confused me in this episode was Kane's reluctance to let the Chancellor die, when Kane had been manipulating the Chancellor's shooting accident to gain more power a few episodes previously. I like that it makes the character more developed, but I don't know if I had seen enough of Kane to think he had both sides.
Flag
Kane s not evil or even a villain, he is just a manager who functions by the manuals. Also, he is really passionate about saving humanity at all costs, even if it means taking the lonely road of hard decisions, the decisions that haunts one 's mind and soul. No matter what you might think, these people are necessary and this is what the Chancellor recognized.
Flag
I don't think he is evil at all. I think, in an odd way, the people we know in the Ark are all sort of representing the main philosophical areas most of us study in like sophomore year. Kane is kind of the Plato type (greater good) and I have to remember who the Chancellor and Abby represent but their points of view sound familiar.
Flag
I would have pegged Kane as a follower of Hobbes and The Chancellor as Lockean in his more Rousseau period. Abby doesn't really fall in any philosopher's theory as a healer but her attitude seems to follow vaguely the idea of the "leap of faith" that Kierkegaard wrote about, but I am not sure how far we can take this.
The series does seem to support Hobbes that "man is a wolf to man " and the theory of the Leviathan and tries to deny the "lost Garden of Eden" that Rousseau advocated and that people like Clarke dreams of.
Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I very much appreciate your comments :-)
Flag
Sure..thanks. I was just so reminded of conversations in a few classes (I was trying to stick to Greek philosophers for comparison sake).
Flag
How amazing it could have been if there was just the Ark, without the shitheads on the ground. Its like a two shows, forced be one. One dark, atmospheric and interesting to watch and the other dumb like its characters and the decisions they make.
Flag
so that engineer girl can repair an old pod but cant fix a radio also with the technology you need to create an ark to sustain human life they dont have satellites LOL
Flag
drop ur phone in water . let it stay there for few minutes. and then u will understand.

Flag
Lol.
Flag
She had to wait for the radio to dry.
Flag
Ballamy threw the radio in the river knowing that it will damage it permanently. That's also why he finally gave in , knowing certain parts are beyond repair.
Flag
I wonder if the rice trick would work....but I guess that leads me to my geography question.
Flag
It was soaked wet and some parts stop functioning once in water. This is why your watch says "waterproof".
Flag
They just had to throw in a love triangle, didn't they? Oh well, the episode was very solid overall, I didn't think they would actually go through with the sacrifice. I might have cried a little when they did. Anyways, I don't mind love triangles if they're somewhere in the background, and not completely driving the plot (looking at you, Vampire Diaries!). Plus, Raven is really awesome.

Kaitlin, you weren't really surprised Bellamy turned his tent into his personal whore house, did you? (Your comment totally cracked me up though, thank you for that.)
Flag
Staff
Haha. I was not at ALL surprised by Bellamy's new living arrangements. It feels exactly like something he would do.
Flag
Ha, good, I was confused for just a nanosecond about that. All this frolicking around does make me wonder when the first pregnancy is gonna strike. I'm assuming they didn't bring birth control with them on the drop ship...
Flag
Pretty good episode. Definitely liked the plot on the Ark and glad they went through with the sacrifice.

Only thing that I didn't like was the way that the Ark saw the flares... I mean, come on.. way too convenient. Just the right people saw it, they just happened to have a sky light that just happened to be facing earth and the Ark just happened to be in line with where the flares were shot... I would've preferred some system on the Ark detecting it or them seeing it in a recording later or something...
Flag
zrk is big i guess. there must be a lots of windows. many ppl wud have seen it. i think they were just focusing on showing that 2 important ppl have seen them too

Flag
Earth is big too, what are the odds that the Ark is directly above where the 100 are?
Flag
*arc
Flag
Kane convincing Dr. Burke that taking a nap in section 17 makes wonder who got Bellamy to shoot Burke in the first place. I always assumed it was Kane, but now I'm not so sure. I mean, if it was Kane, Bellamy would've been relatively safe, right? He'd be able to get Kane to cover things up or get taken down with him? And Kane doesn't appear as power hungry now as I originally perceived.
Flag
Kane and Bellamy have proved they are NOT totally terrible characters. I liked it that they have NOT portray this villains as one dimensional.

I knew for sure Isiah Washington was not going to die so when he made the decision NOT to go in with the rest, I was almost sure the rest would indeed be sacrifice but still I am glad the writers dare to go into dark territory for a "teenage" show.

I cannot wait for the people from the Ark to come down. It would be really interesting and I hope it happens fast.

Flag
that could be cliffhanger of season 1
Flag
"The CW? No love triangles? Give it time."

I wrote that in Kaitlin's "Should I Watch" article when she speculated on the possibility of The 100 breaking the CW mould. I'd say I called it, but pretty much everyone did, and no one likes the "I called it" guy. It's like, "Oh, good for you. We're all so damn impressed with your powers of prediction... jackass".

(Apologies to anyone who has written "I called it" in a comment.)
Flag
Staff
Hey, I didn't say there WOULDN'T be, just that in the pilot they didn't make the romantic possibilities the main storyline. Which was a good idea. Sigh.
Flag
Hey, I hear you. I'm just glad you seem to hate them as much as me. After watching TVD my love triangle tolerance has eroded to basically zilch.
Flag
Staff
The TVD love triangle has slowly killed us all.
Flag
I think it's really interesting, and welcoming, that so many people seem to be wary of them introducing love triangles, squares, hexagons etc. into The 100.

I don't know if the internet is to blame, or if it just makes it more noticeable, but people seem to have developed an inability to follow a TV show without tearing it apart with "ship wars", and so many TV shows seem to fall into that trap.

There are so many shows now where the only discussion about them seems to be who will end up with who. People are shouting about "endgame" and pairing people off after one or two episodes of a show! I remember I had to wait 3 years, THREE YEARS, for Joey and Pacey to start interacting on Dawson's Creek, never mind get together! People can barely wait 3 episodes now before pinning their flags to certain "ships" and investing all their interest in a show in romantic couplings.

So yeah, it's really refreshing to find a show where 1) the creators seem to be keeping the romantic dramas in the background of a better, bigger, more interesting story and 2) the fan base isn't living and dying by who loves who forever and ever, amen.

Perhaps it's a sign of bad writing or poor to non existent character development that some shows can't tell a real story without putting 90% of their eggs in the romantic relationships basket? From what we've seen so far I have faith that the people behind this show know what they're doing in this regard and although the Finn/Clarke/Raven situation may lead to complications they'll be character driven and play out in a way that doesn't negatively impact the rest of the story. Hopefully :)
More +
Flag
This episode makes me think this show has potential... the science of the show is terrible, but I can probably overlook that for the most part. Also, I'm not crazy about the love triangle nonsense, but I guess it's to be expected from the CW. Bellamy is the worst, though. I don't even get why everyone follows him without question.

Next week looks like it will be interesting. I've been dying to find out more about the grounders.
Flag
People follow him, because it is human nature. Not everyone wants to be in charge or make the hard decisions. Most people are followers and are happy to have someone give them some direction.
Flag
Another late thought...... it's weird for CW shows to have adults that are actually developed characters and relevant to the over all plot. Right? I haven't watched a CW show since the early seasons of TVD, when it was good, but even there it was like adults only existed to be wheeled out as plot points and then disposed of. The adults on this show are as important as the pretty teens. Makes me wonder was this always intended for the CW?
Flag
Reign also uses their adults and develops them (well 2 of them, maybe 3)
Flag
Nikita was an excellent spy story. No teenages in that show.
Flag
I stand corrected :)
Flag
haha, I think it's unanimous that the love triangle is LAME

Flag
Does anyone see some parallels between Bellamy and Kane, maybe?

In episode 3 Bellamy has a go at Clarke about killing Jasper. He accuses her of not being able to make the hard choices. He does this kind of think a lot, but when it comes down to his actions they speak to a completely different character. When he is faced with the hard choices, killing Adam/Atom? he can't do it. It's easy to mouth off and play the tough guy when you're not actually having to make any tough choices. He could have stopped Murphy being lynched but it would have been the harder choice, the easier one is to allow it to happen and then blame Clarke.

With Kane I kind of got the impression that he's doing the same thing with Jaha. He has no problem pushing for the culling because ultimately it's Jaha that will be the one making the call, pushing the button. When it looks like Jaha is taking himself out of the equation and all responsibility will fall on Kane he's not so sure he wants to be in charge anymore. He can make the hard choices when he's not the one at the end of the decision line, but he seems less sure he can actually be the one to press the button, so to speak. He acts like he wants to be in charge and can be a leader but again, like Bellamy, his actions speak to a completely different person than the one we think he is.
More+
Flag
This was the best episode by far in my opinion, but I'm still annoyed by the same thing since the first episode.... Clarke, don't know why but I can't stand her.. And I'm still scratching my head over the fact that a spear thrown into someone's chest on the first day of arriving at an abandoned radiation plagued world isn't fatal and can heal within days or a couple weeks.. highly unlikely..
Flag
Oh Wow! Some actual meaningful drama!

As I said: much more entertaining that Star Crossed.

Keep going please...
Flag
Forgot to say, BSG feel has been there from the beginning: the clock ticking away lives, the feeling they are the only survivors, the ragged look of the station & people as well, spacing out, etc. Finally I also thought about Baltar when Bellamy had the two chicks in bed... although also thought a wee bit 'bout GOT LOL..
Flag
I laughed so hard at the Cult of Baltar reference!
Flag
Wow......What a great episode
Flag
I got the BSG vibe also, especially when Alessandro said, "We have a hard seal," which is something he's said a few times on BSG!
Flag
I am conflicted about Bellamy. I like the character, I appreciate that he's not keen on living on the ground by the same rules as they lived by on the Ark. I love the idea of him and Octavia literally being the only people alive that share that sibling relationship (hope for more of that next week) but...... is he responsible for 300 or so people dying? I know they worked it so they all volunteered to die but would they still have had to if the kids on Earth had managed to make contact? They weren't very clear on that. The Ark knowing they're alive wouldn't necessarily have meant they didn't need to clear a few hundred people out, would it? So is he still accidentally responsible for them dying or were they doomed either way?

The fact that he didn't actually kill Jaha shouldn't make any difference either. The kids were locked up for all sorts of petty crimes and given that he's over 18, I assume, he'd still have been "floated" if they were on the Ark, right? I, like others, had assumed it was Kane that had helped Bellamy, I even wondered if Bellamy hadn't shot the guy at all, like maybe Kane caught Bellamy sneaking about and took the opportunity to take Jaha out and pin it on Bellamy, but apparently not. No idea who would have wanted Jaha dead and also had the means to get Bellamy on the drop ship. The thick plottens!

I'm so glad they mainly skipped over the love triangle thing. I don't necessarily mind a bit of tension arising from that situation but nobody wants it to become the focus for these three characters. I like Clarke and Raven seems cool too so I'd hate to see the strong characters that have been developed ruined by having them become all about a boy, and quite a dull one at that. No offense Finn.
More+
Flag
I bawled like a baby at the end. Surprised they went there, but definitely satisfied. Beautiful music too.....why is it that every time I hear a beautiful, haunting song on TV and look it up, I find it's already been used in the Vampire Diaries? I guess I should check out the soundtrack to that show.

Kane surprised me. I had assumed that he was the one who convinced Bellamy to assassinate the Chancellor, but his actions this week indicate otherwise. I don't think it was Abby, because she clearly doesn't want Kane to take over. So who?

I actually like Kane a lot, and I'm not going to lie a large part of that is because he was on LOST and I have a soft spot for all of those actors....I'm kind of shipping him and Abby, like, as a sub-sub-subplot ten episodes from now - I would rather this show not turn into a typical CW show.

Speaking of, I was proud of the show's restraint in dealing with the Clarke/Finn/Raven love triangle. Instead of dominating the ep, it was just an annoying background plot, which was a pleasant surprise considering the opening scene. There was still too much of it, but it could have been worse. Much, much worse.
More+
Flag
I thought Kane was married to Cece (Kelly Hu), a good friend of Abby, haven't seen her since the pilot though. That would make it typical CW, unless Kane get's her floated for something.
Flag
I can see it now lol.....his wife tried to assassinate the chancellor so her husband would get ahead, they find out and execute her, then Kane and Abby get together. Bam. ;)
Flag
It was Gaeta, that traitor!
Flag
Tears were flowing when all those people volunteered, and while they died. I have to give the show a nod for showing them dead and how they handled them with care. It showed a respect that was needed in this show.

I like that Abby had the guts to show the video. But what happened now (the volunteering) wouldn’t have happened back when her husband wanted to show it. The people weren’t desperate back then and it would have let to a riot. PS: told ya that Abby was to important to kill off, not enough doctors.

Also good call from the writers to have someone with more info of what’s happening on the Ark sent to earth to show the stakes and the consequences of their actions it moved the ‘make contact or not’ story line along. And now Bellamy’s character can evolve easier.

Raven’s got balls. And I still see the best friend thing between Raven and Clark. Although one sided at the moment. I agree that it was good that they didn’t do the blind rage thing and had Clark prioritize. When they were working on the red spark thingies I was thinking Raven was going to bring up the Clark-Finn thing and that she didn’t care about it as long as it didn’t happen again. But they didn’t. I just hope they don’t make it a big deal and have Raven blow up on them.

Did Clark make a wish upon Finn’s girlfriend?

The Chancellor’s face when he saw those red sparks was so telling.

Next week will be more focused on earth again and finding that stupid sister best left were she is. How much of a plot device was that clearly so faked tripping down the hill, nothing anyone sais can make those 10 seconds up to me. Although the staking of that nobody will help, is she going to get all better with the miracle seaweed medicine, please say no.

Your 'WTF, Bellamy? Who do you think you are, Gaius Baltar?' had me smiling and remembering the bloopers where he was naked and Lucy Lawless was all 'I wasn't expecting that.'
More+
Flag
Wow, that was really moving. Haven't been moved by an episode of TV like that for a while. But then I mostly avoid super heavy TV, as I'm an escapist, so I guess its bravo the CW, you tricked me!
Flag
Oh man, I actually felt bad for Bellamy because one minute Clarke's all, hey, you're not a murderer! And then it's like, oops, sorry, now you've inadvertently caused the death of 300+ people :( I agree with your notes during the river scene, but sometimes I could take my hat off to Bellamy, he's a true survivor. And honestly, The Ark mob were kind of rushing the killings/cullings. First they didn't want to bother sending anyone, then when they found out Raven went anyway, they couldn't even wait a day or two for her to try and contact them?
I kind of like the handling of the triangle. Raven's the past, even if she doesn't realise it yet. She's like the high school/girl next door girlfriend, and Clark's the next-stage-of-your life girlfriend, it's just a painful thing for everyone to slowly realise. I liked it as a lighter background narrative in contrast to all the heavy stuff on the station.
In summary, I really enjoyed the writing of this episode, you got to see so much depth in all the characters. It had all those intense themes that can make scifi great.
Flag
Was there a "4-episode test" article on this show?
What do you think, do I press play or do I press delete?
Flag
yes there was an article. . Author gave approval to show. you should see it.

Flag
5 out 5, watch the show.
Flag
The responses thus far are encouraging. Now I'm kinda looking forward to it!
Flag
The review from last week that's linked in the article included the Four-Episode Test.
Flag
Thanks. It's hard to pick up information about a show while trying to avoid spoiling it for myself so I must have missed it!
Flag
Play - definitely
Flag
I think this was the best episode thus far. I'm still not really over Charlotte jumping off the cliff. I mean what Charlotte did was brutal but her suicide is still lingering with me. So when it came to the people in Section 17 I kept thinking, "any minute now somebody is going to say they saw something..." but it never happened. And to watch the barrette fall out of that man's hand...just broke my heart that much more.

I can't agree with you about Kane though. I still think he's a jerk.
Flag
You know, people have survived this type of fall before, so is Charlotte really dead or rescued by the grounders? I wouldn't be so surprised to see Charlotte again at some point.
Flag
I, honestly, did not think about that! Will be interesting to see if this theory proves true.
Flag
I agree but you know how series are about certain of their characters.
Flag
I really like The 100 so far, and it shaping out pretty good. Let's just hope all these teen love triangles are kept to the minimum and we're good to go and enjoy a strong sci-fi show
Flag
While Kane did convince the chancellor not to die his motives are still unclear..Bellamy mentioned 'some guy' came to him and said to kill the chancellor and he would get him onto the drop ship.

Episode was moving and that father dying for his daughter was heartbreaking, and the other people who sacrificed themselves where undeniably brave.

I like Raven, shes beautiful and very sassy and smart. She will play off alot of the main characters. loved how she mocked Bellamy for being a poor shot. Not a fan of Mandated Cw triangles but so far this one seems alot more mature and better than others. Then again there are much bigger things at stake which is why i think its easier for the characters especially someone like Clarke not to make a big deal...Yet.
Flag
Well, can't continue this anymore. Way too annoying and stupid.
Flag
The people on the Arc are so stupid, if they need air why don't they just open a window?

:)
Flag
I have a feeling they don't have enough ships to get everyone on the ark onto the ground - so some people were going to be left behind to die at some point. At least these people chose to sacrifice themselves in the hopes that the others (their children) would be able to live.

Raven had a good plan with the rockets. She's pretty savvy and I liked seeing her come in and take charge and getting something accomplished. I hope some of the other teenagers learn to do the same.

Octavia has been taken by the Grounders - I'm assuming next week will most be a rescue mission for her.

This is the first episode where I thought Kane was okay - he didn't bother me at all.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC