A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2016)

The 100 S01E06: "His Sister's Keeper"

Well, we couldn't avoid the love triangle forever, guys! After last week's very dark, very mature storyline about the problems facing the men and women on the Ark, "His Sisters's Keeper" focused on the relationships between the Hundred on the ground. I suppose it was only a matter of time before the series had to explore The CW's mandated hormonal teen angst, as well as Bellamy and Octavia's complicated sibling relationship, but neither of the two storylines in this episode were as interesting as they could've been. And they certainly didn't carry the same weight as what we saw in "Twilight's Last Gleaming." 

To be honest, after Octavia was kidnapped last week, I thought we were going to spend more time with the Grounders and discover more about their primitive society, but most of Octavia's scenes in "His Sister's Keeper" featured her climbing through tight spaces while wielding antlers as a weapon. I'm not saying I expected to be invited to the Grounders' next council meeting—although I'd like to talk to them about where to buy chains and locks—but we didn't learn much of anything about them this week. In theory, I'm cool with having the Grounders remain mostly a mystery, but before long, they're going to have to do something "serious," because right now they're the Hundred's main enemy on Earth and they don't feel all that dangerous. Especially when they're just picking off faceless nobodies.

In "Twilight's Last Gleaming," the writers made us care about characters we'd just met shining a light on their relationships; unfortunately, they haven't extended the same courtesy to the teens on the ground. If you're on The 100 and your name isn't Clarke, Bellamy, Finn, Jasper, Octavia or Monty (what happened to Monty? Where are you, Monty?), you're pretty much disposable. New characters are introduced—maybe they're given a name, maybe they're not—so that the writers have people to kill off, and while I applaud them for continuing to showcase the brutality of the world these folks live in, at some point they're going to have to try to make viewers care about the people who die. We know they can do it, and we've seen how great the series can be when they do it; that's why The 100 will never fulfill its potential if they just keep murdering people we're not invested in. 

Intercut with the action on the ground this week were flashbacks to various points in both Bellamy's and Octavia's lives on the Ark. We already knew it was illegal for people on the Ark to have more than one child, and we already knew their mother was floated once Octavia was discovered, but we never knew the specifics of her discovery. Since the series premiered, Bellamy has been Octavia's protector, and he always seemed like a willing participant in that regard, but as we learned this week, he often feels burdened by her existence. "My life ended the day you were born," he told her after rescuing her. That was kind of harsh, but it's easy to see why Bellamy might've come to resent Octavia over the years. He's been unable to live his own life because he promised his mother that he'd look after his sister and protect her. 

It's obvious that, despite Bellamy's protests, he would do anything for Octavia. He took her to the masquerade party (which was ultimately how she was discovered), and he shot the Chancellor just so he could board the dropship when he learned she was being sent to the ground. His resentment of her is unique on The 100, where no one else has siblings, but ask anyone who was burdened with a younger (and cuter) sibling and they will tell you how much better their life was before said younger sibling came in to being. It doesn't mean we don't still love each other at the end of the day, but siblings can definitely be a pain, and they do come to resent each other for things that seem completely ridiculous to outsiders. It happens. My brother is still mad at me for deleting his progress in Zelda in 1995, and that's not even that bad compared to what happened between Bellamy and Octavia. What I'm trying to say is, siblings are crazy, guys!

Over in the teen romance section of camp was Finn, who was torn between his lifelong friendship with and love for Raven and his newfound friendship with and love for Clarke, the latter of which he's not sure he's ready (or even able) to stop. Last week I commented on Clarke's maturity in her reaction to Raven's history with Finn, and that mostly carried over to this week as the two ladies returned to the sex bunker to find something Raven could use to fix the broken radio. For her part, Raven didn't respond too well to the news that her boyfriend basically since forever had only waited 10 days before getting into another girl's pants—which, fair enough. Finn has all the makings of the hero, diving in to save his fellow survivors without a moment's hesitation, but that doesn't mean he has all the answers or only makes good decisions. Karma finally caught up to him this week when he was stabbed by a Grounder during Octavia's rescue, and I obviously don't believe the series will kill him off (especially after attempting to clean him up with a haircut), but he definitely needs to sort out his priorities once he's healed.

It should come as no surprise the love triangle is still the least interesting part of The 100, but I think that if the series develops Finn beyond the obvious hero archetype, and Raven beyond the scorned lover (she was pretty awesome when she was working with Abby on the Ark), the love triangle will feel more integral to the series and viewers will be more accepting of its existence. Now that we know a bit more about Octavia and Bellamy's background growing up on the Ark, I feel like I at least understand where each of their characters is coming from. I still think Octavia's an idiot for even thinking of running off on her own again, but at least understand her motivations. And if The 100 insists on never fleshing out any other members of the Hundred, the least it can do is flesh out the ones we already know. The show is off to a good start, it just needs to keep at it.

VITAL STATS

– Current Population of the Hundred (not including Bellamy or Raven): 90

– Bellamy was recruited to shoot the Chancellor by a member of the guard (the guy who's also responsible for Octavia being arrested and Bellamy losing his place as a cadet). MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY! I really can't wait for the mutiny storyline take hold on the Ark. The show is setting it up so well.

– Raven: "Do you love him?" Clarke: "I hardly know him." See? Even Clarke is like, "Develop the characters more, show!

– What the Grounder was doing with Octavia still isn't really clear. She wasn't locked up at first, which I found odd, but after she escaped and he recaptured her, he chained her up. Was he really saving her from the rest of the Grounders? He did blow the foghorn to drive them away from the rest of the rescue team. He seemed like a cool guy until the Finn stabbing, but he's just been bopped on the head and was about to be killed, so it's kind of understandable he lashed out first. Either way, I really want to know more about the Grounders! 

What did you think of "His Sister's Keeper"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
&If; you're on The 100 and your name isn't Clarke, Bellamy, Finn, Jasper,
&Octavia; or Monty....

Be careful. The last time someone said something like that, Lost gave us Nikki and Paulo.
Flag
I thing the show is becoming weak.

Flag
After the first episode, I went on kind of a rant about population biology based off of Octavia/Bellamy's irritating behavior, in that they had no right to be the amount of butthurt they are about their mother being executed, because Octavia shouldn't even exist and their mother HAD to have known that before she got pregnant again, and that her having a second baby was pretty much the most selfish thing she could have done because without population control all of civilization would die. So score for my prediction there!
But I still have a lot of unanswered questions: HOW did her mom get pregnant again - aren't there any birth control/ abortive options on the Ark? I still think that there has to be, otherwise everyone on the Ark would have to commit to being celibate/sterilized past having their first child, because no birth control method is 100% effective. If the mom had come forward as soon as she realized she was pregnant, would she still have been punished, or would they have helped her? Accidents happen. Who's Octavia's dad, and why wasn't he also punished? It's not like Octavia's mom immaculately conceived, and I can't imagine they wouldn't ask that question before she was floated. Unless maybe it's that creepy guard guy? Was she raped? I got the feeling that the mom only started that relationship because it was necessary to keep Octavia safe and hidden. Plus all of my more general questions of how they keep track of genealogy on the Ark - are they at the point where you are only allowed/forced to marry certain people in order to keep the kids from being inbred? A population size of only 4,000 (now 3,700) is pretty damn small, especially considering a good chunk of that has to be over the age of fertility. Just so many questions about how this is all supposed to work to preserve the gene pool of humanity balanced with controlling overpopulation to not overtax the Ark.
More+
Flag
wonder if there will be a cannibal grounder group
Flag
I liked it. The Bellamy/Octavia storyline in particular. I did not like the cliche, 'storm's coming,' final line but will breeze over that because at least from the preview seems an actual storm is coming.

I felt slightly guilty at the end because the whole ep I'd be thinking, 'Wow. Everything is Bellamy's fault.. Almost every death so far in the show, Olivia getting captured. So much.' Then Olivia said it and I'm like - 'Hey, Olivia. It's not that simple!' Bellamy was just as harsh but that whole scene made sense to me. However much they love eachother (sometimes because of how much they love eachother), siblings can be the worst. I am glad we got those flashbacks too because it gave the entire relationship much more weight. And I though the show aged them down well but maybe it was just that Flashback Blakes had showered.

The grounder that saved Olivia is played by Ryan Naysmith - an attractive dude - and this is the CW. For that reason alone, I assume he will ultimately be a good guy/?love interest depending on the age he's playing. I feel like it's too early to get much information about the grounders so am glad this episode didn't spill too much. If they turn out to speak english in the exact same way as the Arkfolk though I will rage.

And I'm glad the love triangle nonsense is out in the open so quickly. I didn't understand how Raven could be so in love with Finn so was good to get background on that at least. (Finn grates at me; I can't help it).
More+
Flag
*Oops. Octavia.

Also - grounders grabbed Jasper and Octavia, patched them up and sent them home. Grabbed Random Dude and Random Girl and killed them instantly. It's almost as if the Grounders know which kids are our main characters. Jeez, show. Won't get away with that a third time.
Flag
They've only eaten once in 10 days... and that was a panther? split between 100ish people. How are they still alive?
Flag
They subsist on teenage angst and drama.
Flag
Well Bellamy has aged remarkably well. And it's no wonder he has anger issues.

Soooo much lens flare. This show makes it look like JJ Abrams showed restraint.

Glad we got the love triange drama out in the open at least....I'm actually pretty pleased with how the CW is handling it. I was expecting the secret to drag on for weeks.....Now maybe we'll get a "The Other Woman" relationship between the two :)
Flag
Luckily the lens flare is limited to flashbacks. According to the Youtube clip I saw of Jason Rothenberg(producer), episode 6 was the last of the flashback episodes.
Flag
I really liked the Octavia/Bellamy story, but the love triangle on the planet's surface seemed completely forced. It's definitely too early for "Do you love him?" questions, and things like "If you think you're special, you're wrong." Wake up and smell the breakfast, lady! People are being killed in droves in the Ark (as far as they know), the Grounders or radiation or starvation may kill the delinquents sooner than later, and life is basically sh*t for everybody and she's concerned whether Clarke loves Finn? Have some perspective!

The story in the Ark, on the other hand, was much more compelling. Just imagine spending all your life in a room, and sometimes in a small compartment under the floor, which was getting proportionally smaller as time went by. That would be enough to drive anyone insane.

And... Octavia was the prisoner of a Grounder and some extras died. Honestly, that barely registered on my radar. Which shows the writing is inconsistent. I knew Octavia was in no real danger, after all this is not Game of Thrones, where anything can happen to anybody.

All in all, the show still holds my interest.
Flag
i don't know about the "this is not game of thrones..."

I really liked Wells and was genuinely shocked by his death.
Flag
I think show is well-written even around the annoying love triangle.

The writers have set things up so that we see how harsh life is on the Ark, especially for working/lower class people like Raven. Life isn't pretty for higher ups like Clarke, but they aren't scrounging for rations either.

Finn has literally been Raven's life-line (imagine what sharing his rations with her from an early age would have meant when those are already restricted) for most of her life. She doesn't appear to have known her father and her mother was an alcoholic who traded Raven's rations for booze -- plus, when we first met her character she had figured something was up re the prisoners because her daily visits to Finn had been interrupted. She got in that rickety spacecraft to Earth because of Finn. It makes sense that she would react the way she has - completely in character and context, even if it's annoying to watch.

Finn not wanting things to be over with Clarke is understandable, too, she's really charismatic and on the Arc because of the class structure would have been completely unapproachable. On Earth she treats him like a super hero equal. Plus, he hasn't dated anyone else and has been on Raven lock-down forever, so his reactions make sense.

Still, I hope the Love Triangle doesn't compromise characters I love. Clarke is a strong female lead - so smart and capable -- so, I really don't want to see her diminished by mooning over Finn or cat fights with Raven.

Octavia and the Grounder: Liked the parallels here. Here is someone who has spent years being hidden away in a compartment in the floor of her family's quarters being hidden in a hole in the ground and the second time around chained up by her Grounder. It may be that he had good reasons and it was for Octavia's own protection - but Octavia, understandably isn't having it anymore.

Loved the flashback scenes with Bellamy and Octavia's unnamed mother. She was intense.
More +
Flag
@mad-pac The love triangle element they introduced (to my surprise) this latest episode was Clarke feeling that she needs Finn emotionally. I hope that's not a signal of a spiral into real melodrama. I hope it's just some temporary trauma filled stuff and not a trend. I like Finn, but surely he's not that important. Though I guess, this may also have to do with Clarke losing her best friend and her anger at her mother.
Flag
"All in all, the show still holds my interest."

I feel the same way. Plot holes and lack of realism aside, this show nicely fills a void in my current viewing habits. The fact that it doesn't fall into the overcrowded category of doctors, lawyers, cops/detectives/FBI, comics or supernaturals is a plus. Offering a different kind of story is probably the strongest point of The 100.
Flag
This show would be a hit on a major network cw doesn't have the budget for this type of series,Also how did these grounders survive a nuclear winter?
Flag
I think they are two group of grounders.

One that wants to kill them all off. Another one (could be just one) who might not necessarily want to kill them off just yet or could be friendly.

I liked the Bellamy and Octavia back story as it explains the character motivations more.

I am still quite excited to watch the show and the pace still fast enough.

I do think they need to balance the story on the ark and the story down below a bit more in each episode so viewers will have it more interesting.

Despite negative reactions from some, I am still enjoying this show and Crisis. Crisis is especially good this week.
Flag
Those camera glare are seriously annoying.
Flag
Staff
THE. WORST.
Flag
CW folks: "These lens flares are awesome and make people think of Star Trek."
Viewers: "Ohmygawd STOP. THE. LENS. FLARES!!!"
Flag
Staff
When they basically white out the scene for a minute, you know you've gone too far.
Flag
I don't think anyone should get too upset about the grounders being mutes, because mute Ricky Whittle is vast improvement on the non-mute version
Flag
The question I have is: What did they do to the grounder? Last we saw he was knocked out by Jasper with a stick with nothing on it. Did they kill him or leave him? I would have expected them to tie him up and bring him to the camp as a prisoner to find out what is going on.
I think the grounder was kind of lonely. His cave didn't seem to offer room for more than 1 or 2 people and he didn't appear to be exactly friends with the other grounders that he scarred away with his horn. Interesting, let's see where this goes.
Flag
Yeah they just left him there (presumably to get Finn back to sanctuary).
Flag
I haven't seen a TV.COM writer do a review on Star-Crossed in a long time which by the way a million times better than the 100
Flag
That's funny. I watch Star-Crossed - it's nice light entertainment, but the 100 is better written and has more interesting premises.
Flag
Did anyone else think that the "Grounders" understand English??
When Octavia said that she can't walk the grounder carried her, and then Octavia said some words followed by her statement that he can't understand her like if the show runners are subtly telling us that they(or at least the grounder who was with Octavia) totally can
Anyone else get that feeling?
Flag
he read her body language and he knew our leg bone broke so...I hope they do not do that person finds beautiful girl to teach him new things storyline
Flag
I kind of thought so. When she said "You can't understand me" I thought he kind of gave her "Really?" look :D
Flag
I have to say, though - seriously, when did the CW decided that every show on their network needs a love triangle? And they don't give them time to develop, either - within the first couple of episodes, bam, love triangle. And nobody cares, because we don't know the characters well enough to care yet! Seriously, is Julie Plec to blame for this, because I know she's got her fingers in a lot of the CW's pies.

Obviously Vampire Diaries is the big example of this, but while the triangle on TVD has become tedious recently, it actually didn't crop up right away at the beginning of the show. Damon was pretty much a straight-up villain for a while - I don't think they even really hinted at a love triangle until about halfway through the first season. Damon was too obsessed with Katherine and torturing his brother to care much about Elena. So TVD actually took time to develop that triangle.

But every show since then - I look at both The 100 and Tomorrow People, and they introduced these insta-triangles, before we gave a crap about the characters. And both times, in order to create these triangles so quickly, they had to create these unbelievable insta-loves to do it, because the characters involved had just met! So you get Finn/Clarke, which cropped up very suddenly, and on TTP you had Stephen/Cara, which popped up very suddenly. I do think the 100 is handling it better than TTP so far - the best thing that can be said about TTP's triangle is that the writers completely dropped it a little ways into the season - but seriously, why the need to establish triangles right away?

And on shows where there are more important things at stake, why establish them at all? They end up just seeming very silly and out of place. Reign has done a triangle too, but Reign is a period soapy show - a triangle isn't out of place on that show, and again, they took more time to develop the triangle.

More+
Flag
To be clear, I'm also sick of love triangles, but it isn't the case that this one popped up out of nowhere.

Finn and Clarke sparked as the landing ship was about to crash and there was that triangle with Chancellor Jaha's now dead son. Clarke used Finn then to push that guy away and as back-up against Bellamy.

We learned that Finn went to prison for doing something reckless, but also came to find out that he's smart, capable and can be reliable and supportive.

The writers used this, coupled with killing off the Chancellor's son to bring Clarke and Finn together. I didn't feel that their hook-up was rushed as it had been building up to that from Day One.

The Raven component was a bit of a surpise though that piece of things was well set up in the ep where Clarke's Mom enlisted her to re-build a drop-ship. I think the writers have given enough reason in Raven's backstory for her to be possessive of Finn and likely to go all Jerry Springer on any competition. I don't want to see that happen because I think Raven is a cool, strong character and a good addition to the team. But we've already seen her too distracted by her emotions to work on building a radio, so fingers crossed...
More +
Flag
As for the TVD love triangle, TVD is based off of books and the books include the love triangle. To keep up with the books in the 1st season, they had to keep up with the love triangle. While the books and show are not even closely related, I believe they had to have that aspect in the show for L. J. Smith to accept it.
Flag
Oh yeah. I'm not saying TVD shouldn't have a love triangle - I actually think TVD is a good example of a love triangle done well (at least at first - they developed it well). It's just that since TVD, the CW seems to think all their shows need love triangles, and they don't even take the time to develop the characters first, like they did in TVD.
Flag
CW is a teen network
Flag
Yeah, and I read a lot of teen books. A love triangle is not a requirement of the teen genre. Romance, arguably, is, but you can have romance without a triangle.
Flag
I think the problem with the TVD is once Elena got involved with Damon is they didn't allow Stefan to move on from Elena. They decided he had to remain in love with her and they had to continue to have some sort of relationship instead of really allowing the characters to grow and move on with their lives - so they're just stuck. I know TVD was loosely based of the books and I know that there was a Damon/Stefan/Elena love-triangle and in the books so it was going to happen on the show - but the show has veered so far off what happened in the books that I think it's beyond time to let it go.

The CW really needs to move away from the love-triangles though. I think Reign even invented a fictional love triangle that never existed in real life just to make the show more "dramatic" - which is one of the reasons I decided not to watch it (it's too historically inaccurate for me).
Flag
Oh, I love Reign, but I did have to accept that it's essentially alternate history :P Yeah, I agree about TVD - I don't think it was a mistake to do a love triangle on that show initially, but it has gotten rather stuck. They need to find somewhere new to take those characters.
Flag
Supernatural doesn't have a love triangle :D
Flag
Supernatural is originally a WB show and the protagonists are older and loners,
Flag
Ha! It should. Let's get some Sam-Cas-Dean angst going on :P
Flag
No wait, I think I like Sam-Crowley-Dean better XD
Flag
Sam-Crowley-Ghost!Bobby

And for the shocking mid-season finale: Gabriel returns to claim what's rightfully his!
Flag
Octavia didn't run away at the end - she started to head out, but after she told Bellamy "You can't keep my locked up forever," she went back into the camp.

I agree that the love triangle is the least interesting part of the show, but I've actually been pretty okay with how they've handled it so far. When Raven found out and started to go off on Clarke, I was like "Here we go," but then Raven backed off (of Clarke, anyway) as soon as Clarke explained that she didn't know about Raven. Which, thank god, because I've never understand why girls always go after the other girls their boyfriends were cheating on them with, rather than the boyfriend - especially when said other girls didn't know the guy had a girlfriend. So I was really glad about that, and then really glad again when Clarke said she barely knew him.

I actually found Octavia and Bellamy's story really interesting, including the flashbacks, although I was wondering if we were going to find out more about the grounders. I'm okay with still not knowing much - seeing this lone grounder save Octavia did make me wonder if he's on his own, or if there are warring groups of grounders, etc - so long as they don't drag it out too long.
More+
Flag
I thought she might be going back to her Grounder friend. But I think she was just flexing.
Flag
Mmm... just finished watching right now...

OK so the elder sibling syndrome... yeah been there... you do not know how it twists you until you surprise yourself sounding like your father/mother... Some times it takes some betrayal feelings to release your younger siblings... the only problem is that sometimes it takes a long time....

Anyway... Gosh living what? 15 years in a room!!! She should have the complexion of a mushroom poor thing... And she should have that boiled red lobster look the poor thing, after the 1st couple of days on Earth LOL, although the grime helps a bit I guess.

Ok so apparently we have two tribes of people (Grounders?), not counting our group of merry castaways. Or maybe we have a violent tribe and a lone dissenter? How did he get his hands on a padlock... with a key!!! What brand is the padlock I will go straight away to the hardware store and get a dozen for my prepper cache LOL!

Entertaining ep but not half as good as the last one!

Flag

Bellamy is definitely the most interesting character on earth right now. He has had lots of things going on in his life since he was a child. Nothing normal. A huge sense of responsibility, resentment, guilt... I think it's pretty understandable the way he is right now. Also, I don't see him as selfish. Actually, he is the least selfish of all because he is the only one who understands what it is to have a sibling. Bellamy would do anything for Octavia. He would even give her life to protect her. The rest of the 100 only care about themselves and if they think about the people in the ark it's just for fear of being left alone with the grounders. Even Clarke is just driven by her personality and her strong sense of justice. The only character driven by love and putting someone before him is Bellamy and that's exactly what clouds his judgement sometimes.
Flag
Agreed for the most part, though I think Jasper might put others over himself.
Flag
Yes, one of my favorite parts of this ep was when they go looking Octavia and are confronted by the skeletons on pikes. Everyone is visibly shaken, including Bellamy. But then you see him swallow and say 'My sister, my responsibility,' and head out.
Flag
Just because Bellamy would do anything for his sister, Octavia, including kill, does not make him selfless. He has a personal stake in Octavia. She is HIS sister. HIS ingrained responsibility. HIS only family (that we know of, watch this ass be Kane's asshole kid). HIS guilt trip. She is his, his, his! Even psychopaths "love" and "like" certain people on occasion (Hello, Hannibal), but it doesn't negate their other behaviors. Sure, the others don't have any siblings, but they do have families. And since it seems they've all grown up in the same communal and for the greater good geared society, selflessness shouldn't be a foreign concept to any of them. I don't think Bellamy is a psychopath, but I don't want his janky ass behavior being confused with noble actions.
Flag
This is turning into something very strange. Premature dialogue, weird confrontations, unlikely choices constantly being made and the endproduct gets more and more....I cant find a word for it. Pretty teen Barbie camp is losing my interest.
Flag
I definitely think this show is improving. The love triangle is silly, and I hope it's resolved quickly, but it hasn't been as annoying as I expected (yet). I was hoping we'd find out more about the Grounders but I suppose they're saving that for later.

I think the Grounder who found Octavia was kind of fascinated by her or something. He definitely saved her from the other Grounders and I think he went back and blew the fog horn so he could save the rest of them. He probably only chained Octavia up to keep her from running off and getting into more trouble.
Flag
it feels like a filler ep. the show goes on whether we know of Octavia and Bellamy's backstory. It didnt really change that much.
Flag
Whenever you have an ensemble cast there is bound to be an exposition episode thrown in for specific characters. But I get what you mean about Octavia and Bellamy. Their backstory didn't quite have the same affect as Clarke's. We saw how Clarke's dad died and how she blamed her best friend Wells...then in the present we see Clarke come to the realization that Wells wasn't the traitor. This truth completely changed Clarke's opinion of her mother from then on out. The viewer didn't get the same kind of payoff with the Octavia/Bellamy flashbacks....but it did at least show who recruited Bellamy to kill the Chancellor and why he didn't feel like he had any other choice but to take the deal.
Flag
exactly. I mean, we know that they are close. Theres really not much of a necessity to explain why an older bro and a younger sis is close. Its only if they werent close then we need to know the backstory. And the worst part is, now Octavia is kinda trying to get as far away from her bro because of the things hes done so far, which doesnt fit the story they are portraying because since he always look out for her, shouldnt she show some understanding and appreciation?
Flag
I suppose, but people are complex. Octavia feels like a prisoner or an ex-prisoner whose brother's attempts to protect her feel like hackles, plus we saw with this ep that she blames Bellamy for getting their Mom floated.
Flag
is it me, or are there commercials every friggin FIVE mins of the show! 5 Mins of show, 3 mins of commercials ... 5 Mins of show, 3 mins of commercials ... WTF?
Flag
I really liked this episode, yes it had some rough edges but it was good.

Commander Shumway (can’t believe I didn’t recognize him from Continuum) responsible for the Chancellor!!! Going back to the pilot we knew he was ruthless, he suggested to kill some people while the Chancellor was indisposed and Kane said no. Back then we didn’t pay him any attention cause he’s was just a side character and Kane was more evil, boy where we wrong. What was he going to do to get rid of Kane so he’d be in charge and how many people did he get rid off for that commander post?

Are there two sides/ groups of grounders? is there a turf war going on that the 100 stepped into. That grounder that fixed her up and kept her safe just wants a girlfriend.

How cute was little Bellamy back in the day. Quite disturbing watching your mother give birth in front of you at that age. His mom sleeping with old guy to know when they’re inspecting and pushing her son into a carrier he doesn’t want all to keep little-miss-ungrateful safe, and then she’s giving Bellamy major guild when she was the one wanting to go out and endanger her family. I get why Octavia wanted to go out, but guild tripping your brother for something he’s not responsible for isn’t necessary unless she’s projecting her own guild on him. Bellamy got the guild card from 3 women today, hard times on earth for him.

Finn’s haircut looked pretty good, mechanic and hairdresser, Raven’s got skills, she’s a keeper.
The love triangle didn’t bother me. I liked that they didn’t drag out Raven not knowing what happened between Clark and Finn. We got the realization, confrontation and already a part of accepting the facts and moving on. All that without a big blow up scene. So they’re going over it fast and moving on with the story line.

And now my girly moment: OMG how hot was that grounder (the one that saved Octavia).
More+
Flag
I think Shumway asked Bellamy to do it on Kane's orders. No way a Commander would have the guts to do something like that on his own accord.
Flag
I loved the, "He could have waited... 10... days," line. True CW! and proof that this show is basically just 90210 in a somewhat barren SF future. Still, the show is a guilty pleasure, and I admit I look forward to watching it each week. The story-line with the Ark is great, and believable. The storyline with the kids on the ground, is not. We saw them in ONE episode set up traps to collect rain water, and in the pilot were told to go to Fort So-and-So to find food reserves, but then when and where have we ever heard them mention being hungry, talk about setting up some kind of cultivation, or taken a bite of anything but each other's lips? (save mention of a 90-year-old expiration date on the food in the sex bunker). It's entirely unrealistic that these kids, all criminals and having lived in confined spaces in space all their lives are suddenly so stylish and good looking and have relatively few problems sanitary, food, or health-wise on Earth. Granted, there's the grounders, but it seems pretty clear to me it's the kids themselves setting up their own problems there. Yeah, okay -- the grounders threw the first spear for trespassing, but they were quick to make up by healing the kid, and it seems at any time they could take the camp if they wanted to.

Anyway, the best part of this episode was the fact that they only time they went back to the Ark was for back-story, and there was no immediate follow up on the Chancellor and Abby seeing the rockets. I say bravo to that. And there were a few other good lines on the ground as well. "I hardly even know him" was a nice dose of reality.
More+
Flag
I just keep thinking that there will be babies since there was a lot of presumably unprotected sex going on those first few days -- including Bellamy with two women at once.

In real life things would not be glam - there's water rationing on the Arc so probably not a lot of washing going on and many of the ex-prisoner were from lower classes and have been on meager or shared rations (in the case of Finn and Bellamy) their whole lives -- there's no toilet paper, no feminine hygiene materials -- it would not be gorgeous.
Flag
Yeah, this show is fun. But it's pretty unrealistic in many ways... Some of which you pointed out above, and another pointed out by Kaitlin. The non-main character 100's are like potato chip red-shirts. No personality whatso-freakin-ever. It's lazy writing. and if Bellamy says, "jump off the cliff!!!" They're like, "which one?'
C'mon show, herd mentality a little too much...
Flag
The most unrealistic thing about this show, imo, is:
These kids seem healthy and fit... and have no problem with Earth's gravity. I read somewhere that living, or just visiting space for extended periods of time, causes a lot of bone density loss. So, yea, the 100 are doing pretty well for having lived their entire lives in space.
Flag
Exactly! Hence my "90210 in the future" comment. They should be meek, scared, and not very well built or fit.
Flag
ZeroCals: It's a fun show, regardless of any criticism I've aimed at it, and I will tune in so long as it's on the air. The Lord of the Flies stuff was never really there save the first two or three episodes (where it was heavy handed), and is gone with the introduction of the 'grounders', more or less.
Flag
Yea. I guess the show's only excuse is that it's on the CW, and good-looking youths is what the CW is known for.

Honestly, I enjoy the show and look forward to it every week. Though I know it's not perfect, I find the Lord of the Fly parallels of the 100's storyline fun to watch (though I'll admit, like most of the posters here have said, the Ark storyline is pretty awesome, dark, and definitely more realistic).
Flag
I don't know, deleting Zelda progress is pretty unforgivable. how do you sleep at night you monster??
Flag
Staff
It's taken years of therapy.
Flag
What level was it?
Flag
As much as it was triangle-ish I give it props for not going full teen drama on me. It wasn't dragged on for episodes upon episodes, it was confronted and they hashed it out with minimal snark.
Bonus, Clarke was seriously like "okay too much drama, I'm over this, bigger things to worry about".
Plus I like Raven and I hope that the way she handles Finn isn't going to make me dislike her.
Bring on Grounder storyline.
Flag
I was very interested in finding out more about Bellamy and Octavia's relationship given they're the only 2 people alive who share a sibling relationship. What we saw was interesting but I would have liked to see more. Are we to assume one of the guards is Octavia's father? There was no sign of any Papa Blake there and Mama Blake was getting tipped off about the "surprise" inspections, presumably from a guard?

It was great how Bellamy was hell bent on saving Octavia and she was begging the Grounder to help Bellamy but then when they're both safe they tear strips off each other and obviously bare a lot of resentment towards each other. I think Bellamy's resentment is more understandable, although Octavia never really had a choice in things either. They should double team their dead mother with their resentment. She didn't even seem that nice to Octavia!

The only part of the love triangle that bothered me was Finn trying to talk Clarke into making it more than it was. She obviously feels more than she's letting on but at least she's trying to just put it behind them and concentrate on surviving. Raven has a right to be upset too, 10 days!!! And he never even mentioned her existence!!! That's cold, Finn. I could deal with an underlying tension between Clarke and Raven despite the fact they should obviously be besties but Finn's attempts to make it a full blown love triangle is a big no for me. I can only assume the grounder had been spying on them and his stabbing Finn was his response to the triangle :)

Speaking of... I'm not sure he had entirely nice motives for helping Octavia. He may not have wanted the other Grounders to get her but he didn't seem like he was just going to return her to her own camp either.
More+
Flag
Here is how I see it playing out:

The Grounder who saved Octavia, (I will call him Silent G) has been banished from his tribe and lives the life of a loner. Silent G will end up working with and protecting The 100 from the other Grounders.

John (Richard Harmon) who was banished from The 100 will end up working for the Grounders and help them get into camp, kidnap certain people, etc.

Or maybe Silent G just wanted some female companionship and saw that some one tossed out a perfectly good female teenage and just took her. Finders keepers, losers weepers. :-)
Flag
I laughed so hard at that last part!
Flag
From a similar quote from the John Cusack movie "Better of Dead..." (1985)
Flag
Ha ha, 90 of the 100 left :-) Terrible name they chose, it no longer works, and what about when eveyone else lands. A name that works for 1 season only :-)
Flag
Wait! Does someone have a body count? This is similar to Lost in that way.
Flag
Staff
According to the writers, The 100 was also the name of the mission to Earth, not just the number of people, so I guess it still makes sense.
Flag
Perhaps they should rename it to The 100 90, scratch included. And then go changing it.
Flag
I thought it was a good episode, I enjoyed it more than this week Arrow and they handle the love triangle well. I'm looking forward to see more of the grounders, hopefully not to much though but enough to see what they are up too because let's be honest if they want to kill all 100 of them they could have done it by now.
Flag
Yeah, after last week's gem, this episode feels clunkier. I felt bad for Raven since Finn is more all-the-family-she -has than just a boyfriend, which makes everything awk-ward. The search seemed to take up too much screen time, since it wasn't offering much story-wise? Even Octavia's struggles and crawling around seemed to take much longer than it needed to. It was like a third small narrative arc (ha, pun!) was missing from the episode, so they let every shot run longer, to fill time? Sure, Bellamy's childhood sucked, but his choices/responses still say budding sociopath... I hope The Grounders are interestingly written because they're getting a lot of build up, but I agree, somehow they were less menacing this week. (And when that girl got speared through the chest, I was like, pfft, Jasper survived that, it's just how they say hi!). I noticed the lack of Abby and Kane, for sure.
Flag
The Grounders came, they saw, they killed, they fled at the sound of a horn flared from the mysterious save you one minute kill your brother the next dude.
Felt alot of sympathy for Bellamy in this one, He has a point the moment his mom had Octavia his life pretty much ended. and he had no choice in it. He looked about 7 and he was already witnessing his mother give birth (kinda creepy) and taking care of a newborn.
The sibling dynamic is quite an intriguing one and i hope the writers can expand and deliver further on it in future.
I understand the reviewers annoyance with random unknowns dying (redshirts) but sometimes this works just as well as a built upon character death like last weeks father. Not every character that dies has to be built up just so its more significant when they die.
IMO its a mistake to focus on either too much. So far i think the show has balanced well between random redshirt deaths and more built upon character deaths (Wells, Charlotte) even John Murphys banishment.
Dont like the mandated triangle but so far its not irritating, each character is understandable from their POV. So long as it doesn't get too melodramatic and is handled maturely it could work.
More+
Flag
The Octavia birth scene was pretty full-on and realistic given that his
mom had to hide it. Props to the writers for not shying away from doing it. You got to really see how intense things have been for Bellamy.
Flag
Pretty sure the kidnapping Grounder is a loner who's at odds with the rest of the Grounders and will act as some sort of an ally for the 100 at some point.

What I kept thinking about was how the Grounders and the 100 will communicate. That one guy never responded to Octavia and his foghorn had weird symbols on it which leads me to think they don't speak English, or maybe any current language. Which itself is silly, it's only been what, 100 years? Why would a language die out in 100 years?

And even non verbal communication, if one of the 100 was to hold a finger up to their lips in a signs we understand as 'shhhh', would a Grounder understand that?

I get this isn't a highly detail oriented show but I wouldn't be uninterested if they looked at this idea a bit. Although it'd be nice if they didn't do it via the medium of a love triangle.
Flag
Yeah exactly, very lapse when it comes to details. I like to know the details. The more plausible the story is the more you get into it. Like, how many people live on the Ark exactly, how many did at the start, how much oxygen did they have and how does it all work eg. they have a farming ship and hydroponics, so plants can recycle CO2, but how does it all (supposedly) work. Why were that many ships and people in orbit before the nuclear war? Why had radiation diluted/disappeared enough after only 97 years? Etc.

Why that Grounder didn't speak I don't know, coz you can guarantee they can speak, and speak English too no doubt, so why drag it out. It will likely be that there's two warring groups of Grounders, and that guy who was banished will probably end up leading the bad Grounders and attacking the 100.
Flag
I'm disappointed we didn't get more on the Grounders. I also don't understand why Octavia was kept alive and those other teenagers were killed.

I did like that Clarke admitted she barely knew Finn. Too many CW shows have a love at first sight plotline where the main characters fall in love within the span of three episodes so I was glad we didn't see that here. Finn & Raven obviously have known each other for years and have a deep conenction, but Finn & Clake just met. I could see both sides. Clarke had no idea that Finn had a girlfriend and Raven was hurt that it only took Finn 10 days to move on from her (I guess that means it's only been 10 days since the pilot episode).
Flag
Shows need more threesomes, less love triangles. Seriously. Finn can die, if it means the end of this hatefulness.

Well, I had one of my questions about Octavia answered. I wondered how a life long shut-in became an indiscriminate sex-kitten. Apparently, she learned how to interact with males by listening to her mother strategically ho it up from beneath the floor boards. What a shitty childhood these two had.

Jasper and Octavia meeting like Romeo and Juliet? Foreshadowing?

Baby Bellamy was adorable. Those freckles, omgosh. Big Bellamy is still a selfish dick. Why are people still following him again? They know his dirt , right? They don't know about the volunteerism, so they would assume that 300+ people just got murdered, possibly their family members and friends because this dude has sabotaged their ability to communicate with the Ark multiple times. "Help me find my sister, " he demands. And people just go with it. Dumb. There should be a mutiny on the ground by now.

I want the Grounders to speak through interpretative dance.
Flag
That's what I said above. Why does anyone listen to him? He's the toughest of these so called criminals...yeah, ok....
Flag
"I want the Grounders to speak through interpretative dance"

LOL LOL LOL
Flag
I missed the grown ups we know (hey what else I have seen that guy who blackmailed Bellamy into shooting the Chancellor?). And god, so the kids lives just kind of suck right now? Other than Octavia recognizes Jasper as second to her brother, did anything good happen? I mean, I am a little unclear about the guy who was holding Octavia. I'm not sure, he did seem to be helping but he was also holding her prisoner, or was he just making sure she didn't run off again. And he is the one who warns them, so he was protecting the other kids too it seemed and I will guess the stabbing was just a reaction. Maybe he is a different tribe or whatever? I wonder what language they speak...again, I have no idea where in the world they are, so its hard to guess what language might have survived among the people who were left behind. And it is kind of odd, isn't it? That is four generations since the bombs right?

I am glad Raven recognized that Clarke didn't know about her and was telling her the truth and there is another person she should be mad at...but Clarke, you don't need to make excuses for him because otherwise the girl will know you were lying in that last question.
More+
Flag
The guy who blackmailed Bellamy is also in Continuum!
Flag
Curtis!
Flag
I knew I recognized the actor! I wonder if we'll see even more actors on this show who also appeared on Continuum.
Flag
I wouldn't be surprised. Especially Canadian actors...because you know...they get tax breaks for hiring Canadians :) I wonder how long before Tahmoh Penikett shows up in a cameo. That guy ends up in anything filmed in BC.
Flag
I thought that maybe (and now since its him and Julien, I am going to be really looking for more Continuum secondary cast members)
Flag
Those Freelancers can't be trusted.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members