A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

The 100 S01E07: "Contents Under Pressure"

A lot of TV fans hate bottle episodes because they confine actors to one set. And on a show like The 100, where the forest surrounding the Hundred's camp is just as much a character as Clarke or Bellamy, they can be especially trying. "Contents Under Pressure" could've easily faltered by keeping the Hundred locked inside the drop ship. But between the radio connection to the Ark, Clarke saving Finn's life, Bellamy's torture of the Grounder, and a well-timed hurricane going on outside, the episode was not only entertaining, it managed to pull off some impressive character development, too. 

Let's start with Clarke, because as we've come to realize, the world of The 100 revolves around Clarke. In need of her mother's medical expertise, Raven was finally able to establish a radio connection to the Ark; this was both good and bad. It was good in the sense that Abby was able to walk Clarke through the necessary steps to save Finn's life, but it was bad in that it meant Clarke had to address the giant elephant in the room: that she knows her mother was responsible for her father's death. But choosing to confront the issue sooner rather than later was a wise decision, because Clarke needs to work through her complicated emotions. After all, it's not like she's had much time to sit around and come to terms with this relatively new development. Immediately after she discovered the truth, Wells was murdered, and when the murderer was identified, she chose to commit suicide. Clarke tried to bang her way to peace of mind with Finn, but then Raven arrived, Octavia was more or less kidnapped, and Finn was stabbed. This show hasn't slowed down even for a minute, and while that's wonderful from a storytelling perspective, it's gotta be crazy exhausting for the characters.

Earlier this week, at a screening of this episode that The CW held for reporters, The 100 creator Jason Rothenberg said he believes the entire first season only covers approximately 22 days, which made me feel really happy to lead a boring life. Not only do I get to sleep a lot, I'm almost never stabbed by strangers. Poor Finn made it out of makeshift surgery alive, but the knife the Grounder used was poisoned, which led to a pivotal moment for Clarke. After Bellamy kidnapped the Grounder who rescued Octavia, Clarke—the same Clarke who's usually a voice of reason in this crowd full of crazy—actually supported Bellamy's use of violence as a way to get the Grounder to reveal the antidote. No one was surprised when Bellamy jumped right into this particular method of "interrogation," although it was clear that the moment changed him and I have a feeling we'll soon be seeing a different Bellamy because of it. Same with Clarke—when she endorsed Bellamy's use of torture, her character was forever changed. She can longer play the High and Mighty card.

"Contents Under Pressure" provided another example of how The 100 isn't afraid to challenge its characters and test their limits in this brutal world. However, I take issue with the use of Clarke's feelings for Finn—which still feel rushed, given the short amount of time she's actually known him—as the reason that she radically changed her calm and rational demeanor. Love makes you do the wacky, but does it really make people condone the use of torture? Was there another way for the series to force Clarke to see that being a leader sometimes means making tough calls? Maybe, maybe not, but her feelings for Finn are still the weakest link in an otherwise exciting story. It's the one instance in which the quick pace of the series is a hindrance rather than an asset.

Back on the Ark, Kane was feeling the weight of his own guilt over learning the Earth was habitable not long after he'd pushed for the death of 320 people. It was a strong performance from Henry Ian Cusick, and in the same way that Bellamy is being humanized as time progresses, so is Kane. It looks like Kane might not be the villain we once thought he was, which is fine with me. It makes him a more complex and flawed character. Plus, it looks like there's a new villain in town now that former chancellor Diana Sydney (Kate Vernon, another Battlestar Galactica alum!) has conspired to gain a position on the Council in the wake of Abby losing her place. For the record, I am 100 percent behind this decision. The politics on the Ark continue to be as exciting, if not more so, than the action on the ground, and her presence is bound to kick up more dust as The 100 attempts to decide which of 2,000 people on the Ark will make it into the 700 seats on the drop ships. 

The limited setting of "Contents Under Pressure" didn't limit the episode in the slightest; instead, its smaller scope resulted in some good character moments, and its dark subject matter pushed those characters to reexamine what they will and will not do when faced with dire circumstances. Clarke and Bellamy will be forever changed by the choices they made this week, just as Kane will probably be forever haunted by the knowledge he has the blood of 320 people on his hands. It's true that not everyone is going to survive this journey, but right now that's what's making The 100 an exciting ride.

VITAL STATS

Current population of the Hundred (including Bellamy and Raven): 92

– The Grounder speaks and understands English! He's remained silent until now, content to observe the Hundred, knowing they'll eventually tell him what he wants to know if he stays quiet. While Rothenberg said he'll probably never be reciting Shakespeare, he will eventually get more lines.

– Despite making the tough call to torture the Grounder for the antidote, Clarke was back to  acting like her same old self by episode's end as she chose to let Raven have Finn. I could complain about how The 100 is making Clarke appear to be good and sacrificing her own happiness for someone else's, but that's such a cliché. I'd almost rather see her take a stand if her feelings for Finn really are that deep.

– Isaiah Washington's performance when he told the people on the Ark that he'd lost his son: A+ (I'm also glad that wasn't dragged out and that he knows Wells is dead. I have a feeling he won't find out just how Wells died for awhile though).

– The Octavia/Grounder connection is a bit weird, but I'm willing to at least wait and see where it goes. And it's only 60 percent because of his abs.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

181 Comments
Comments (181)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I hate watching a series with teenagers (or anyone else for that matter) rummaging through a forest/jungle/desert/whatever, blah blah love-triangles, and generally silly behaviour.

But I'm hooked.

I know I'm late to the party, and I've only watched 9 episodes, but I'm hooked. There, I said--hooked as a gutted fish. That's me.

Binge watching ahoy!
Flag
I gave up on Star-Crossed after about 6 episodes I think. (Sorry, CW!) I just didn't find the characters compelling or the romance that interesting. But I have to say - after 7 episodes of The 100, I am here to stay. This episode turned me from "I'll watch another episode and see..." to "Okay, I'm hooked!" I am loving this show, and I can't wait to see where it goes next week. I really hope it gets renewed for a second season.
Flag
I am the opposite the only character on the 100 that is compelling is Octavia, Star-Crossed is so much better, their is a story that make sense, you actually care about the characters and not just the main ones Taylor as a example!! the story on the 100 especially on the ARK is over the place, no organization/ mumbo jumbo horrible on the ground much of same!! the CW is very under rated they really can't compete with the big four NBC,CBS,ABC, FOX hell even some basic cable shows get better rating, now THE TOMORROW PEOPLE, ARROW, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, HART OF DIXIE SUPERNATURAL, REIGN, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES,THE ORIGINALS, STAR-CROSSED AND THE 100 I watch and the 100 is the WORST BY FAR
I will not be watching S2 actually I will not be watching the final four of this season
Flag
Clarke/Finn: I've come to the conclusion that they are totally boring together. A love triangle is not the problem. Their love is the problem. Clarke is a complex character and the fact that she is developing a leader role in such a difficult situation is much more interesting but when it comes to emotions/love, it would be more challenging if we had to see her struggling with the fact that she has fallen for a "bad guy" such as Bellamy. Her inner fight between reason/feelings would be more bearable to watch than Finn's puppy face everytime he has to be with Raven instead of Clarke.
Flag
If it were just about Clarke's love life that might work but Finn and Bellamy really represent different perspectives on leadership and what the 100 should do.

Bellamy is reckless, impulsive and generally short-sighted.

Clarke has spent episode after episode literally getting in his face, pushing him, etc. to talk him out of bad decisions. Whenever she hasn't been able to, it has meant bad things for everyone.

Finn was usually Clarke's backup in dealing with Bellamy. Doe-eyed as he may be, Finn cares about people and is thoughtful (able to see bigger pictures and the longer term).

I'm not anti-Bellamy because I agree that he's a complex and interesting character. I just don't think we can expect anything good besides sexual heat when he collides with Clarke.

**SPOILER FOR NEXT EP**

Now Bellamy has guns, Clarke is all Team Bellamy and is unwilling to talk business with Finn because of the Triangle. That will have big ramifications for all of them.
Flag
I thought that now the Ark knew the Earth was survivable that the premise of the separated worlds would be over but I guess there will be the decision of who gets to go to the Earth. I'm but can't they just attempt to build some kind of shuttle that could return like a ferry? Or is that too much to ask?
Flag
Innocents aside, at this point I'm kind of hoping that the Ark people aren't able to land or land far away from the 100 because of the crazy political games and treachery that are happening in their government and because I feel like when they show up they will put in place the kind of rigid rules they had on the Ark. It will be the end to freedom. Plus, they'll come with an army, which will mean more conflict with the Grounders.
Flag
The stuff you can put into space is designed for entirely different hazards than reentry. Their trouble will be having stuff to build heat shields for. In space station construction you don't need them and they are heavy to bring into space so in fact they lack the resources because they are not the same resources you need to run a station.

Also those rockets on the space shuttle with that massive orange fuel tank aren't for show: That's what you need to get a ferry back into orbit. Falling to Earth is comparatively easy.

There is also the possibility they lost more resources in those 100 years than the original plan hoped for in rocket fuel and pods.

Flag
Cool thanks!
Flag
first where are they to be getting smashed by a hurricane , okay granted Nuclear war could have changed things a bit but I don't think so we have seen nothing bout trees and a huge cliff where Charlotte took a nose dive, no oceans!! second honestly Finn should be dead the knife was barely moved via Clarke when the pod got rocked and Finn and Clarke went separate directions!! Finn would have been gutted like fish!! third we no very little about "the Grounders"" obviously this grounder is fixated on Octavia because she reminds him of someone in is past!! or he doesn't like the way Bellamy is treating her!!!!!! now the story up at the ARC is just BULLSHIT is unreal!! nobody is listening period!! and out of nowhere Diane (kate vernon) spurs some words of wisdom to Jaha (washington) then he finally gets it , then rallies the troops!!! I can go on but I wont!! and the revelation at end 2000+ people on the Ark and only room for 700 on the drop ships no offense if you can get the Ark up into space and if the plan was to return to Earth increase in the population should be accounted in the equation!! the 100 is very bad, the writing makes no sense at all this episode just might be the straw the broke the camels back and I stop tuning in!!!
More+
Flag
A single missing heat tile in the space shuttle's hull did destroy one so if we imagine big drop ships they still might easily be too compromised to use. They might leak, they might have compromised heat shields, their electronics may be shot to control the descent. All would be causes to sabotage a vessel for reentry because it takes very little to burn up a space ship in that phase.

They possibly had to cannibalize dropships to make others operational. At least this explains the one child policy. It possibly was a last ditch attempt to bring the population down within a generation.

Flag
The Arc was originally a space station, like Space Station Mir (for example), orbiting the Earth to do research when the nuclear war happened on the ground.

It was never intended as a facility from which ships went back and forth to the Earth or as a permanent home.

The people on the Arc were isolated by the nuclear decimation on Earth and had to make do with water, air and food produced by the Ark.

You can see that they've employed a one child policy to keep the population down with the plan/hope that they would be have longer to prepare for a return to Earth (in real life, and though it's not been underlined in the show, I think even for its characters 97 years isn't enough time to make a radiation soaked Earth safe for human habitation) and be able to keep the Ark's systems going for longer.

Finn had almost removed the knife and was on her last yank when the storm knocked her off her feet. Gutting would definitely be a possibility in that situation, but not the only one.

I'm not sure why you think the Jaha story line is bullcrap. I can see how you may have written something stronger - but what happened with him and with the new Diane character wasn't outside the realm of possibility at all. Harder for me to take in was Kane's meltdown. That seemed to come from nowhere since he was an unrelenting Big Bad up until then -- though maybe making him Mom such a kumbaya spiritual guide was the writers way of giving us a hint that there was more to him than they'd first made apparent.

Re the numbers: I was annoyed about the discrepancy between the number of people on the Ark and the number that can be accommodated in the dropships, not because I think it's ridiculous that they find themselves in that situation. Like I said before, the Ark wasn't part of a planned exodus to Earth orbit -- they just happened to have a front row seat to the destruction on the Earth below and then need to try to survive on their own. It was annoying because now there may be a lot of drawn out hand-wringing about who should live and who will have to be left behind to die.
More +
Flag
Bob Morley, who plays Bellamy on how he sees his body
He grew up mixed race (his Mom is Filipina and his Dad who died when he was a toddler was white Australian) in a small, rural, mostly white community in Australia. He's had a lot going on - which he probably uses in his portrayal of Bellamy. Cued up to 13:44.
Flag
This episode was all about decisions and consequences. I think it was nicely summed up by Bellamy in the end with that one sentence:

"It's not easy being in charge is it?"

Clarke, Bellamy, Kane, Jaha and Abby all struggled with the choices they made either in the past or present. Each of them made those choices because they were backed into a corner and needed to step up and make a quick decision. The battle between a logical decision and an emotional or moral decision is constantly being played out in this series in both settings---the earth and the Ark. I think the producers are doing an amazing job of exploring these themes within the 2 settings.

I continue to be impressed with the Clarke character. Yes, she can be very overbearing at times....but as pointed out in Kaitlin's review Clarke has been dealing with a whack load of problems since the opening frame of this series. She is really stretching herself thin trying to save people both on Earth and on the Ark. She has always been vocal about her frustration, but now we are starting to see signs of exhaustion and desperation affect her too. It's a good thing she has co-leadership with Bellamy now, because neither of them have what it takes to go it alone at this point.
More+
Flag
Re co-leadership: I think you are right. Though, Clarke's part seems the more exhausting side of their partnership because Bellamy is always wanting to do crazy things that she has to rein him in from doing with a huge expenditure of energy. Or she's unable to stop him and has to try to mop up afterwards. He on the other hand, really benefits from having Clarke there to balance him.
Flag
I'm totally loving The 100 so far, but I'm becoming a bit confused about the show's longevity. They have established contact with the Ark awfully fast and even with the complication of the limited transport to Earth, isn't the show kind of over once people from the Ark touch down? Can't imagine how many seasons they can possibly drag it all out. Maybe they are counting on a short-ish run.
Flag
In TV-land anything can be dragged out. All you have to do is keep throwing obstacles in the way of characters. Personally, I think the drama on the Ark can continue for some time. They have a lot of logistical problems to deal with in addition to the assassination plot and now Diana(who seems shady) being on Council. Even when they do eventually abandon the Ark it's possible the escape pods will all land in different parts of the Earth (due to malfunction, storms etc...). The plot of survival/re-unification can remain the same with the various groups trying to make their way to each other on the ground.
Flag
Yup, and the action on the ground can also shift with our main characters there going off on various quests or facing new baddies.
Flag
I don't see Bellamy and Clarke AT ALL. I like that they're making his character more understandable, but it doesn't really condone some of the terrible decisions. Worse, Bellamy doesn't learn from them & he doesn't accept responsibility. Like The Grounders journal- the guy's obviously been watching the camp, but cataloguing the deaths doesn't in any way make him responsible. Bellamy constantly skews his interpretation of reality to rationalise his own actions; the character needs a lot of therapy and really should be in prison. Makes for entertaining television, but as a romantic option for Clark, that's just too far-fetched for me to even imagine.
(Clarke and Octavia need to find some henchmen. Seems like Bellamy only gets his way because he has a couple of muscled guys around whenever anyone argues with him. Hench up, ladies!)
Not really a fan of The Grounder. He could see how much these people loved Finn, and the antidote was there, but he didn't care. When it was his crush that was on the line, oh, suddenly he's all communicative. Torturing him for general info was stupid and just another example of Bellamy's character basically peeing everywhere in crazy territorial mode. Torturing him to try and make him point at a vial in the minutes left to save a loved one's life seemed more relatable.
Felt sorry for Clark this episode. She lost Wells and almost lost Finn. Basically, they were the closest she had to henchmen! Also, Raven's pretty el loco... still think she suits Bellamy more than Finn.
The politics on The Ark were cool. Now there's a new viper in the nest!
More+
Flag
Yes, Finn is Clarke's henchman. When she's squared off with Bellamy in the past he's been there to back her up (physically, too, if need be). Jasper and his friend (the herbalist) also back her up.

There's a big difference between Clarke and Octavia though. Bellamy (who I guess sees Octavia as his property - "My sister, my responsibility") regularly has Octavia restrained and tossed around by his minions but those guys move out of the way for Clarke and are generally reluctant to put their hands on her.
Flag
I think Finn being Clarke's back up/henchman/friend is pivotal to her continued success on the ground. When Clarke said "I can't do this without you" or whatever....I don't think that was really about being in love with Finn. It was more about Finn being the guy who had her back and was also her sounding board for venting. Besides being her physical protector he also shares his observations with her. If it wasn't for Finn pushing the issue, she may never have questioned Wells' betrayal.

The problem with nobody taking Octavia seriously is partly Bellamy's fault but also a flaw in her own personality. All those years living in isolation(a room, under floorboards, juvie prison) have stunted her emotional growth. Octavia lacks the social skills needed to sway people to your side....which is kind of crucial when you are trying to survive. Having tantrums, jumping into dangerous water, and running off with guys or to look at butterflies are all things that indicate her level of maturity is lacking in places. What she did with the Grounder in this episode was the first sign of her being observant/useful in a tense situation. Unfortunately she had to follow that up with a childish zinger at Clarke about saving Finn.
More +
Flag
The grounder relationship is dangerous though. It's not really clear what his agenda is, so even this choice is naive and immature.
Flag
The Clarke/Bellamy thing is just something fans are pushing for and not pre-planned. If you listen to any of the interviews with Eliza Taylor, Bob Morley or Rothenberg...they are generally surprised that people would suggest Clarke and Bellamy should hook up in that way. I thought it was kind of funny in Eliza's Wondercon interview that she had never even heard of "shipping" before.
I personally don't see a romantic angle either. I just think they have screen chemistry because they are both Australian and get along well. And I must say both actors do a good job covering their accents.
Flag
I really don't see the sexual chemistry other fans have mentioned around Clarke-Bellamy either. They look at and engage with each other a lot and both are compelling main characters but I think that's to be expected given their roles and the power struggles they get into.

I'm guessing though that since the fans keep shipping them that it may happen.

I really hope that if a romance happens that it is no time soon because of the stuff Gill1138 mentioned. Waving away the horrendous things (300 people's deaths) someone has done maybe works with vampires (e.g. Damon on Vampire Diaries) because they are just all damned -- but since Bellamy is a regular human he would have to go through a lot to redeem himself enough to be a good partner for Clarke.

Plus, given that Clarke and Bellamy always struggle over leadership and control, Clarke sleeping with Bellamy might compromise her. Look at how Bellamy treats his sister. Better that he keep a healthy distance between himself and Clarke.
Flag
I didn't see it myself until this episode - I was going to make a comment to see if anyone else saw the beginning of a possible Clarke/Bellamy relationship. It was at the end, when he sort of held her hand and commiserated with her about the tough choices that sometimes have to be made. I could see them being equals in a relationship, since they're already co-leaders of sorts. I think the change we're starting to see both of them go through might make them better balanced personality-wise. Though I agree that with his possessive attitude towards his sister (not to mention that harem of his!) a romance might seriously complicate things. Bellamy needs to go on a bit of a redemption arc, and Clarke needs to get her hands a little dirtier before I think it would work.
Flag
why is everyone saying a 100 yrs 3 generations is 75 they should explain how everyone got on the arc and why they had to leave in detail
Flag
If 3 generations is 75 then every woman needs to get pregnant at 25. That was probably the average age a couple of decades ago, but not today, and who knows about the future. Say the average age is 33? that would be 3 generations in 100 years.
There were manned space stations in space when the Nuclear War broke out. They were not sent there to be saved from the war, they just happened to be there when it broke out and survived because they were there. That's how everyone got there. Well, except for those who were then born there.
Flag
so they had satellites to see a hurricane but couldn't use thermal imagery to see movement?so they had to sacrifice people to stay on the arc and now only 700 people will be able to leave ha the chancellor should have told those commoners only a minority will be able to go to earth and what is the former chancellor planning ? I thikn their are two factions of the grounders and I think some grounders are living at the facility the 100 attempted to reach in the pilot what do you guys think?these grounders seem tribal say I presume they see people tresspassing their land a major insult and a declaration of war
Flag
Re appearances: Interesting how all the male characters are well-shaved. Even the Grounder guy knows his way around a razor. Ha ha ha.
Flag
Re Bellamy and Clarke: I don't think we should forget that Clarke still blames Bellamy for the death of 300 people on the Ark. We know they volunteered but no one on the ground does -- besides, if Bellamy hadn't ripped Raven's radio out it's very likely that they would have been able to signal the Ark and prevent the deaths or postpone them anyway.

These are the same 300 deaths that Kane is flogging himself so, so it's no small deal. I'm not sure if that's sunken in for Bellamy but Clarke definitely gets it.

The writers may choose to disregard all of that and give us a quick hook-up between Bellamy and Clarke anyway. But I hope that if they do end up connecting that they make him work for it.
Flag
I'm sorry but I'm finding it exceptionally hard to believe that Octavia's grounder speaks English. His tattoo's and t-shirt- both which probably should be impossible to obtain on a post-nuclear Earth aside, considering that Grounders and Ark people have been in different settings for nearly one hundred years, both forms of English should be unrecognizable dialects for the two separate groups.
And the assumption that he didn't even speak English meant Bellamy torturing him for information was a waste of everyone's time.
Also the Ark claimed that they were supposed to have one hundred years to handle the lack of drop ship problem? Well they're at ninety-seven years now and apparently have done jack-all, they're the equivalent of a uni student starting an essay the night before its due. I get that this will be a fascinating story line for the show to explore but come on- that level of procrastination is criminal!
Flag
Although it's true that the English dialects of the Grounders and the hundred would've diverged over those 97 years, they wouldn't be unrecognizable to a point communication wasn't possible between the groups. The show doesn't seem to be taking into account evolution of language over time, but the same could be argued that the people of the Ark would speak a strange dialect of English from our own. Essentially, you're nitpicking over something trivial and making it sound like it would be a buffer deal than it is. Also, I don't know how much you know about how tattoos are done or clothes are made, but no, they wouldn't be impossible to come by on that earth. All you need for a tattoo is a sharp object and dye. We've been processing material and manufacturing clothes for at least the past 150,000 years. Neither of these are modern inventions requiring advanced technologies. I don't know where this assumption that an apocalypse and 97 years separation would lead to the earth dwelling people regressing into the stereotypical "primitive caveman", but beyond "97 years passed", there doesn't seem to be a lot backing up this argument.
Flag
@sd_addiction: Agree on the tattoo comment. Disagree on the T-shirt. As someone who sews, a shirt like what the grounder was wearing isn't something you produce with simple needle and thread and the knit fabric it is made of also can't be produced with simple implements.

What you wrote would fly if he'd been wearing a woven hemp tunic. But with the t-shirt it would have to either have been salvaged from a pre-nuclear cache or recycled (passed down through his family) or produced in a factory/on industrial machines.
Flag
It's only been 97 years. The landing site is in America. Why wouldn't he speak English? I posted this earlier but I had grandparents who were born in the 1900s and in the late 1880s -- they spoke English and I do as well now.

I have distant cousins who share an English-speaking great-grandparent but whose families ended up living in a non-English speaking country and that branch of the family has been there for about 100 years (so 3 or 4 generations).

They and their parents all still speak English (it's the language they speak at home) even though that's not the primary language of the country they've lived in for 100 years.

The reverse is also true. I'm sure we all know of families in America and Canada who have lived here for 100 years or more surrounded by English but who still speak Spanish, Cajun, Ukrainian or French.

If some people survived the nuclear decimation you'd expect them to live in small groups. In that situation you'd learn to speak the language your family speaks -- which given that this is America is likely English (or Spanish depending on where you live). If your parents taught you to read (there are probably still books around -- not to mention signs and caches of labelled stuff as in the bunker that Finn and Clarke found) it would be in English.

Don't get why people find it so hard to believe that after 100 years ppl still speak English. It might be strange after 1000 years. But 100 years isn't that much time linguistically.

Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales in the 1380s -- it basically needs to be translated now. Shakespeare wrote his plays in the late 1500s and while they can be a tough read with some work and footnotes are intelligible. Dickens wrote in the 1800s and while some of the vocab is different isn't hard to follow. Henry James writing in the late 1800s pretty easy to understand. Even more so for something like The Great Gatsby written about 89 years ago from today.

So, if this were real life there is no reason to suppose the Grounder wouldn't speak English. But since this is sci-fi -- ??
More +
Flag
I understand the evolution of languages but in one hundred years of separation between Grounders and Ark people, the English language for both would have evolved until they would more resemble two different dialects, also their accents between the grounders and arks would be different as well as slang etc. Comprehension of each other should be difficult for the two groups.

And there is a vast difference between people emigrating and post apocalyptic societies, where the population would have been severely decimated and the grounders in question would have suffered from the radiation meaning possible mutations/ complete breakdown in society which we could assume would affect the language, the low number of grounders shows that survival has been difficult for the last ninety-seven years, there is no architectural or agricultural evidence as yet of anything other than a nomadic society- at best- having built which would contribute to the change or evolution of the English language and communication in general would have suffered, the other grounders also haven't shown an ability to speak.

When Finn and Clarke found the shelter they figured that the people who had built it hadn't likely ever made it to the shelter-97 years prior.

More +
Flag
Comprehension wouldn't be that difficult. It would be like me trying to communicate with an Australian or someone in the UK. Some words both groups used wouldn't have the same meaning to the different groups, they would use slang or new words that didn't translate well, but basic structure/syntax would remain in place, and words that are commonly used no matter what happens to the people speaking a language, something like "thank you", would still be there because it has persistent utility.

It's an interesting assumption that the Grounders would've been subject to radiation, that could have caused mutations. That doesn't necessarily mean that ability to communicate would be affected. Most mutations caused by radiation would've led to death, either because the baby wasn't viable, or was hindered too greatly (by mental retardation or severe deformation) to survive the harsh environment -- therefore, those mutations are unlikely to be passed on to future generations. Radiation exposure wouldn't cause immediate mutation in an individual, they'd just get cancer or acute radiation poisoning and die.

We don't know how many Grounders there are. We've seen what, two? Three? Hardly enough to estimate a population size. As far as we know, there are probably numerous societies of people living all over what remains of the American continents of varying population sizes. There could be well over several million people living in the Americas alone.

Also, the Grounders aren't nomadic. The complex traps set up throughout the forest that the Grounders used to kill those red-shirts a couple episodes back are indicative of a sedentary group. You wouldn't build those kinds of traps if you were constantly on the move. They need to be maintained, checked, cleared daily of any corpses from poor unfortunates that walked into them. Due to how they were used by the Grounders, it's likely they're some kind of gauntlet built around a fort or stronghold of some kind. The skeletons staked in the ground outside the Grounder territory further evidences this, and suggests that the Grounders that attacked the hundred in that episode are at war with another group or several other groups of Grounders. Also, the Grounder kept Octavia locked up in a permanent structure that looked to be used often. Things seem to point towards a sedentary society, at least in regards to the Grounders Bellamy and his group encountered that episode.

Having a nomadic society, however, or a smaller population of individuals, would not have caused "communication to suffer". It would change the evolution of language, yes, but probably not all that much, considering it's remaining in the environment in which English evolved in the first place. Grounders wouldn't need to come up with new words for things they already have words for: trees would stay trees, sky stays sky. Some words would be lost over time that aren't utilized a lot, like...obsolete would likely become obsolete. But as I already said, "thank you" is a high utility phrase and isn't likely to be on the chopping block in the apocalypse. It's more likely that the English of the people on the Ark would've changed more drastically than that of those on Earth.

And what do you mean the other Grounders haven't shown an ability to speak? The only other Grounders we've seen were too busy running down one of the hundred to say anything.

Though...why wouldn't they have an ability to speak?

I think you're making way too many assumptions, most of which are unfounded, and blowing way out of proportion the fact that the Grounder said "thank you". For all we know right now, maybe he doesn't understand most of what's being said and that's why he doesn't say a whole lot, he's just trying to keep up with a conversation that's going rapidly over his head, but he did understand that Octavia was trying to help him, and used the one phrase he and she both understood.

Also, it's a CW show. Their budget is minimal and their audience is a bunch of hormonal teenagers that'll rate anything five-stars if there are well-toned abs invovled. I think you're expecting way too much from it.
More +
Flag
@sd_addiction I agree with your post below. I do think the show can appeal to a wide audience. Wasn't meaning to suggest just "horny older women" LOL

Though I think even on shows that do attract women in their 30s and 40s the attractions go deeper than male characters who are easy on the eyes.

I can see this particular show appealing to women because it has some compelling and strong (heroic) female characters.
Flag
@ummhaniyyah Sorry, I meant the "hormonal teens" comment glibly. I'm not a hormonal teen, some of my rant may evidence that, other parts of it probably not so much. My dad also watches the show right now and he's very much not a hormonal teen. But now you're painting the audience as horny older women - same difference, right?

I think at the moment that's what's setting this show apart is that it can appeal to a wider audience because it isn't relying on sex and attractive actors (tho the one playing Bellamy does make it way easier to look at the screen when he's on it) to sell, but has a fairly solid storyline involving bigger picture things going on.

I think as far as the linguistic argument goes, you made the far better point of highlighting our own English and how it contrasts with previous versions throughout the centuries. It really hasn't changed a whole lot over the centuries.

Also, language is something we're increasingly finding is inherent in humans. That's kind of why I scoffed at the assertion that a nomadic lifestyle would lead to a degradation in language/communication, and there are a lot of reasons I dislike the inference that Grounders shouldn't have the ability to speak. There is no group of humans on this planet that does not use language. Children born deaf and not officially taught language develop their own sign languages that follow the same structure and emergence patterns as children born with hearing and taught to speak a vocal language.

To be perfectly honest, I would be disappointed if the show didn't have the Grounders speaking some kind of Pidgin English, though not so much that I'd rant about it on tv.com. And unlike EmmaDanks0, I would've been peeved if the show had the hundred crash into the Pacific North Americas and encounter Grounders that spoke a completely different language incomprehensible to the hundred. The process that she's talking about, and she's stressing it like they'd be speaking different languages, not different dialects - there are a lot of different dialects in the US but we all manage to communicate -- it takes a lot longer than a hundred years. Also, a hundred years is not much. It's only about three, maybe four generations.
More +
Flag
I don't assume the viewership for this show is necessarily teens, though. Look at The Vampire Diaries -- a lot of its viewers are women in their 30s and 40s.
Flag
@sd_addiction I agree totally with what you've written. I also think that in a decimated society one of the things people would probably try very hard to pass along to their children would be language so they can communicate.

The show may be hinting at some language divergence in having the grounder say 'Thank you' in the way he did. It seemed to be difficult for him -- kind of like when you're speaking a language that is rusty for you or maybe he'd taken a vow of silence or something.

Did anyone else notice that the grounder's notebook is a leather bound book with paper pages. How'd he get that?
Flag
I am constantly being surprised by how much I'm liking this show and how good each subsequent episode is proving. Though, I agree with comments made by others that Finn is currently a week point in the series. I'm really disappointed that Raven and Clarke are managing to both maintain feelings for the jerk, when Raven put it best "he could've waited longer than 10 days" to move on from her. However, the subtle hints towards Bellamy/Clark in this episode had me somewhat excited that the show might actually be going this direction. Hopefully somewhere farther down the line, neither of their characters are really ready for it, but I am really liking how their relationship is developing. It is starting to look to me like Bellamy is developing a soft spot for Clarke: the way he kept looking at her after she'd condoned the torture, telling her she didn't need to be there for him taking the torture farther as though trying to protect her despite knowing what she's capable of dealing with, and that final scene between them when he took the bloody screw thing from her hand and told her "who they were and who they had to be to survive" weren't the same thing. I don't know, maybe I'm imagining things that I want to be there.

Not digging the Octavia/Grounder thing. There's nothing really interesting about it. He saw a pretty girl that he wanted to hook up with, end of story. That fact that he's cool with the rest of her people dying, even having a hand in it, so long as she lives and can make babies with him kind of notches the whole thing to disturbing for me. Probably just because I like Jasper more. Jasper is the only reason Octavia seems at all redeemable as a character to me.

Also, this episode finally gave me a reason to accept Wells' death as a worthwhile decision by the writers (all this time I've been thinking, "Why couldn't they have killed off Finn instead?"). Isaiah Washington's delivery of that one line, "I lost my son" was so perfect and powerful it brought me to tears. I can't wait to see how his son's loss further lends to developing his character.
More+
Flag
I agree with you about Finn, Bellamy, and Clarke. I really liked Finn at first, but I am losing interest in his character. Bellamy, on the other hand…well, I started out hating him, and now I can’t wait to see where his character development will go from here. I didn’t think I would say this before, but after this episode, I actually would love to see an eventual Bellamy/Clarke romance. But that said, if it happened too soon, I know I would hate it. Both (especially Bellamy) need to go through quite a bit of character development and familiarity before a relationship would be both believable and satisfying.

I disagree with you about the Octavia/Grounder thing though. It actually is one of my favorite developments so far. We know that he has been watching them – and her in particular – so I don’t think we can assume right now that he only saved her because she is a pretty face. I think it reasonable to speculate that he saw something in her that made him curious to connect with her. If they both have been trapped in some way within or from their respective societies, they might actually have quite a bit in common. I also didn’t see him having a hand in trying to kill anyone except for Finn and Bellamy, and that was only while he was being attacked in his own home. Granted, he had chained up Octavia, but still – we don’t know why he did it. He could have been trying to keep her safe from the other Grounders while he left to blow the horn to stop the attack on her friends. And of course, maybe I am speculating too much and he really is a bad guy. Either way, I am intrigued enough to be excited for this plot line to continue.
More +
Flag
This most recent episode demonstrated nicely in the first truly terrible line of the series all the reasons I am deeply disturbed by the Octavia/Grounder thing, "I'm sorry. This is all my fault. If only I hadn't freaked out so badly when you chained me up in that cave none of this would've happened". Seriously, for a show that's been getting so much praise for it's "strong" female character, this one line quite possible undid it all. Either Octavia has the quickest onset and most extreme case of Stockholm syndrome in the history of TV, or she's really just that desperate to rebel against her brother. She's also quickly being painted as the most shallow of the characters - so far this is two guys she's been drawn to simply because they have pretty faces. It doesn't matter to me now if they spin the story that he really wants to save the 100, his intro and the inexplicably fast development of a connection between Octavia and the Grounder has turned me off to the whole thing entirely. The creators of the show are touting it as a "Romeo and Juliet" situation, I wasn't a fan of Romeo and Juliet either. Love at first sight is BS. You don't fall in love with someone's beautiful personality and quirky sense of humor when you first see them -- you fall for something else entirely, and that is not love. You like it, you're happy with it, that's fine. It is not a trope I'm a fan of.
More +
Flag
This is wrong I know, but I wanted Finn's death, It wouldn't be so bad, really.

They have shown us Clarke as a very strong willed person, I don't think she needs Finn at all, sure he is an ally and maybe more than that later on, but I don't think she would break to the point to giving up just for Finn's death.

If they are planning a love triangle I hope they solve it in this season, anything beyond that would make me care less for the show.

Clarke and Bellamy, now that's something I would "ship".
Flag
The grounder is my new favourite character because he's sweet on Octavia and, wow, those abs.
Also... No, I think it's just the abs.
Flag
I really wouldn't have blinked twice if Finn died. Seriously, would not care. He's cute and everything, but he's dull. I'm pretty sure killing him off would open up a lot of directions for all kinds of character development. Take one for the team Finn!

I understand the weirdness happening between the grounder and Octavia, but actually, it's kind of sweet. Unless we find out she was going to be used in a tribal sacrifice or something it seems very simple and protective. He saw this girl who somehow caught his undivided attention and decided he wanted to shield her from the eventual mass murder of her people. I mean, we can assume thats what his little tally marks in the journal meant. Besides, he has caused some interesting division between Octavia and Bellamy and, really, the rest of the 100.

Clark's reaction to Raven and Finn was incredibly mature and I'm very glad the CW has decided to represent their main heroine in that fashion. Clark demonstrated the difference between expressing your feelings in order to be honest and keeping them to yourself when it isn't your place. In the instance of Finn and Raven, they are dating and Clark (no matter what happened between her and Finn) has no business getting in the middle of that. She's not a home wrecker. Her declaring her feelings, no matter who it destroys in the process, would be very childish. If Finn isn't happy with Raven it's on HIM to make that right, it's not up to Clark to make it an easy decision for him. Anyways, I would be thrilled if neither Clark or Raven end up with Finn and the two of them just decide to move past him and become best friends :) Besides, Clark and Bellamy make a MUCH more interesting pair.
More+
Flag
I agree that the seed is there for a Bellamy-Clarke relationship.

I'd say Clarke's decision to not try to take Finn away (as immature as that would be) is also because she can see that Raven is really emotionally dependent on him. Raven would definitely lose it if Finn rejected her or if something happened to him.

I was annoyed that the writers had Clarke voice something this episode about not wanting Finn to die because she doesn't think she can do things without him -- since it was one step closer to a weak heroine and a soppy love triangle.

I like the Grounder/Octavia thing, though I imagine that Jasper won't be a fan. That should be interesting to watch.

I thought it strange that our 100, maybe with the exception of Octavia, who's smitten, continue to treat the Grounder like a savage -- when the vials of antidote, his skillful drawings (some of places we haven't seen yet on the show and that they should probably wonder about), the well-crafted knife and even his tally marks tell another story.

I found it interesting that the Grounder was wearing a (95 year old?) t-shirt underneath his armor.
More +
Flag
I actually liked when Clark lost it and started crying over Finn. Wells is dead, her dad is dead, Raven's helping her but keeping a watchful eye on her & Finn, Octavia's busy with her own kidnapping/Grounder drama, Bellamy's upstairs running a torture chamber, her mum's on the radio but they've got severe ISSUES... Finn might have lied about his girlfriend, but I think she has to grade on a curve here because he ALWAYS backs her up. Sometimes I feel so sorry for Clark, she always has to struggle against everyone and manage these complex difficult relationships with those closest to her. Add in surgery on the guy she loves, and it's no wonder she cracked! Finn's the only person who goes along with her plans without needing a speech/argument to convince him. So I didn't see it as weak, I saw it as very humanising. Clark isn't a super hero, and I think the writer's wanted to remind us that she's very much alone.
Flag
I feel bad for her too. Raven has Finn. Octavia has Bellamy(whether they appreciate each other or not) and Monty & Jasper are best buds. Where does that leave Clarke? Alone, and she knows it.
I too am glad they showed her vulnerability in this episode. It's too much pressure making these decisions. We've seen it in Lost with Jack, BtVS with Buffy and in Firefly/Serenity with Captain Mal. It's tough when people look to you to solve problems and then argue against your choices.
Flag
Ok. I see what you mean.
Flag
I didn't like that smile on the faces of both Sydney as that guy in the crowd. It makes me feel he helped her getting that free chair on the counsel.
Another detail... the nuclear war was 97 years ago. the grounder wears clothes!!! Where did he get them? He clearly must have been born way after the war. He even spoke English. Even if he is learning English on the spot, how would he know to say "thank you" and what it means? I wonder what is going to happen with him although I'm sure Octavia is going to set him free.
Flag
In the face of devastation and change, languages are kept alive through the spoken word and are preserved through the written word. The grounder had books in his lair, which tells me that he probably has been taught how to read. Since books have likely not been able to be published since before the war and it is probable that books were also brought to the Ark, I think it very reasonable to believe that he would be able to speak and understand basically the same English as the 100.
Flag
I think the 100 landed in North America somewhere (Pacific Northwest?) so the Grounder speaking English would be normal. My grandparents were born in the 1900s and spoke English. I still speak English now.

The t-shirt is trickier, though I suppose it could have been salvaged from a cache like the one that Finn and Clarke found.

At some point, you just have to suspend disbelief though -- because, for example, the people on the Arc (all 2000+ of them) are clothed in normal (most likely 97 year old) clothing that even with salvaging (from people who died or were floated) and repair would be unlikely to stretch to provide for what we've got to assume (even with the one child policy) is a multiplying population.
Flag
The 100 landed somewhere in the Florida-Bahamas area, as that's where the hurricane was shown on the map we briefly saw on the Ark. The only problem with that is that there are mountains around, and the highest point in Florida is about 500-600 ft above sea level.
Flag
Do you by chance have a screen shot? Weird choice for placement -- also because you'd expect the eastern seaboard to be annihilated by nuclear strikes.
Flag
If I got the coordinates right from the image (a little bit blurry), they are at the east coast of Mexico.

Google maps

Flag
Sorry, I don't have a screenshot. I find it weird too, but the hurricane thing does make sense then. The fact that there's mountains and that people in that area survived doesn't though.
Flag
More white people torturing people who aren't like them sigh 😔
Flag
more subconcious white supremacy in media haha
Flag
I have mixed feelings about this because it's nice that a POC actor got a part in a show like this, but sad that he's being painted as a savage and a villain. We'll see. My fingers are crossed as to how his character will develop.
Flag
Although isn't the actor playing Bellamy also a POC?
Flag
Yes - Filipino and white. There's also Raven Reyes, Jasper's friend, whose name I can never remember and of course Isaiah Washington and Shumway. But still have the same observation about the Grounder and it bugged me that they killed off Wells like that.
Flag
Yeah, the Wells thing bugged me too. And the way they set up the torture scene was icky - although I'm still holding out hope it's going to have an interesting twist. I don't think Octavia's grounder is as 'savage' as he appears and I have a funny feeling we're going to have two types of grounders. The 'human' grounders like the one in this episode, and the mutated version ,like in the drawing and like the Skull Clarke found in the pilot episode. I could be totally off base, however; it wouldn't be the first time.

Flag
This time just one word: AWESOME.

Greetings from Italy.
Flag
However, I take issue with the use of Clarke's feelings for Finn—which still feel rushed, given the short amount of time she's actually known him—as the reason that she radically changed her calm and rational demeanor. Love makes you do the wacky, but does it really make people condone the use of torture?

You'd be surprised how many people would condone the use of torture if one of their own was dying and someone that you didn't know had a way to save them. The 100 probably don't even see the grounder as a fellow human being since they pretty much don't know anything about him. I believe Clarke would have done the same thing even if she just likes Finn as a person rather than loves him, especially since she didn't have to be the one actually doing the torturing.
Flag
I think what you've said @Thanatos360 is true in general. I don't think Clarke would normally have allowed it though on behalf of just anyone.

With her it does seem to matter who is involved.

For example, I don't think she would have felt as personally compelled if the person whose life was in danger were Bellamy or that guy they banished. She might have been convinced to do it for those two for some political reason or reason of morale, but she wouldn't have been rushing to do it the way she was to save Finn.
Flag
I agree, I didn't think that was weird at all. I'm pretty sure most of us would pretty alright with torturing someone (who's supposedly bad) if the life of someone we cared about was in danger. And I would imagine feelings would develop very quickly with someone like Finn when your surrounded by a bunch of criminals out for no one but themselves and people die just about everyday.
Flag

I’ve been wondering about their ages, I know it’s a small, unimportant detail but I can’t help it; I wanna know.

We know Clark was a month away from being 18 and from the pilot turning 18 means dead, if you’re a criminal, otherwise she wouldn’t have been fighting and shouting about still having one month left. This means everyone that went to earth is underage or will turn 18. Except for Bellamy. Someone mentioned last week that he looked about 7 when Octavia was born and she spent 16 years under the floor, we can assume she’s 16 or 17 depending on how much time was between discovering her and sending them to earth. This would make Bellamy 23 so he’s been sleeping with jailbait.

Comparing looks of the Grounder to Bellamy, the grounder looks older, 25 maybe. I don’t think Bellamy will appreciate his sister falling for a guy who’s his age or older. (Not to mention a grounder)

I want to know the ages of the others, anyone any ideas?

Flag
I am curious about ages too and had about the same estimates as you do. But if you think about it, ages mean something different to different people in different times and in different cultures. My own grandmother was married at 17 to a man in his mid-20's, and they were in love for the entire 50+ years of their marriage. Even after she died, my grandfather never thought of remarrying. When you are dealing with a post-apocalyptic world where kids grow up fast and the number of people in the world are limited, I think that age doesn't have the same meaning. If a 17-year old in a modern television show fell in love with a mid-20-something, I would hate it. But in a show like this, call me crazy but it could actually be sweet if they handle it well.
Flag
In a world where there are around 2000 people left in the world, and due to executions anybody can dissapear at any time i'm not sure our rules apply. So you cant call "jailbait" like it would be something awful for them to do in their world
Flag
My thoughts exactly @CodrinStavri. It seems like in both the Ark and the Grounder world, life is often brutal and short and people have to show usefulness to survive. To rule about needing to be 18 to be killed in a nicety -- when we know that for example, on the Ark water and food consumption is really low for everyone and we had Abby examining that little girl going blind from oxygen deprivation.

Re Bellamy-logic: Atom was presumably closer in age to Octavia and yet Bellamy didn't want him touching her either. No one will ever be good enough for Bellamy's sister.

I don't strain too hard to figure out ages from looks, since on these CW shows many of the people playing high-schoolers are always in their late 20s and 30s in real life.

Witness the actress who plays Hayley on The Originals who said she was happy to be written into that show as on The Vampire Diaries the setting was more high school and she felt she'd been playing a teenager for too many years already. The lead actor who plays Roman on Star-Crossed is 30 or 31. I could go on. I haven't researched The 100's actors but I'm sure I'll find something similar. So, I think you can't really go on looks.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Aside from the lovey stuff, I'm mostly enjoying The 100. So yes, even in this episode, I enjoyed everything except for the Clarke-Raven-Finn drama, and the Octavia-Grounder drama (also, Octavia isn't all too bad looking, but how is it that she's ALREADY had like 5 guys obsessed over her?).
Flag
She chose the guys from the 100 that she's hooked up with -- like Atom.

Jasper and his friend (who was strangely absent in this and in the last episode) are being portrayed as nerdy, so she provides the contrast (though I think the ep with her backstory shows that she's maybe one of the strangest among them).

Octavia goes off on her own a lot near their camp -- as like that time that she found the glowing butterflies -- so it's likely that's how the Grounder got to watch and like her.
Flag
she is hot and her personality is kinda awesome. I am not sure why you think guys wouldnt like that. Lets not forget that having only 99 people to chose from, it is easy to stand out
Flag
No, I figure guys would like her. I acknowledge she's physically attractive, and I suppose she's got a nice personality -- I'm sure I'd like her too in their situation -- but it just feels like they're hitting me over the head with it when every other episode, a new guy is in love with her. It's getting to a point where that should become the main plot of the show -- Octavia will be the Bachelorette choosing one from a hundred suitors, including the girls and some Grounders.
Flag
You may be right about the writers being too heavy-handed about Octavia as everyone's love interest. Though I guess that's the con of having a show in which there is the pretence of having a cast of dozens but the reality of only focusing in on a few key characters.

Octavia is one of three teen women the show focuses on. Raven is taken and Clarke is doing the circle or the square. That really only leaves Octavia in terms of creating romantic interest.

Also, I think the show tries to keep up the friction between Bellamy and Octavia and the quick/cheap way to do that is to show Bellamy annoyed with/worried about Octavia going after guys and Octavia using the interest she generates to annoy, escape and rebel from Bellamy's rule.

Re her personality -- truthfully, I don't think I've seen enough of it to say that I would understand what about it would attract. She's a strong character in terms of fighting to survive and not wanting others to oppress her, but her scars and lack of experience make her reckless and naive.

I also get annoyed with her when she clashes with Bellamy (though I fully understand why she pushes back on him) because I feel like she's often way too hurtful and unfair with what she says to him -- selfish, really.

She's a lighter character, than say Clarke (who almost never smiles or takes the time to smell the flowers and play with the butterflies) -- but given what they are facing, that's not necessarily a good thing.
More +
Flag
Flag
We also haven't seen any Grounder women. Maybe there aren't any or haven't been many in awhile or something. Usually it's the other way around, with male babies being more likely to die, but maybe not in this world.
Flag
Quite happy about this show since the beginning, even after 7 episodes. I'll stay ...
Flag
Excellent episode. I do not understand why some people do not like the show.

I do not feel Clarke feelings for Finn was a weak link. Teenagers in love have strong emotions. It was good writing that the heaviest torture came with Raven. She kick ass by the way. I loved her character and the actress too.

She was the one that had the strongest emotional ties with Finns and she was the one who came in and use electric torture to save Finn. Bellamy actually looks weak comparing to the girls. Ha !

I was actually calling for them to just stuck the poison knife into the guy so he would reveal the antidote to save himself. I wonder why they did not think of that - bad writing? That was the first idea I got even before Bellamy started his torture. Perhaps they wanted to show Octavia was the smartest and most willing to sacrifice herself.

The weak part for me is actually Kane. I did not see any slight indication that he was at all guilty in the previous episodes. The show seems to have deem him to be ruthless so I find it hard to believe for a moment he would feel regret now.

At least Bellamy's motive was for his sister. Kane seems to be about his own power and why would anyone like that feel regret?

So happy to see Kate Vernon on the show and playing a Villain. Looks like our writers are hiring all the BSG alumni.

I would rather see her character Diane work with Kane.

PS: For those naysayers who had been asking why only 100 was sent to the ground, there was your answer tonight. The ark have very limited resources and as it is can only bring 700 people down. I assume it was 800 - 100.
More+
Flag
I liked that Kane wasn't cardboard cutout evil, he just deeply believed in the science that stated the Earth was uninhabitable. The religious childhood was a great backstory because it meant at the core he has a devout personality. He had cut himself off emotionally to "save humanity"; that became his religion. I don't think it ever really occurred to him that the teens would ever survive. He's basically lost his entire belief system. There's a big difference between seeing yourself as the tough love hero saving humanity (from itself, sometimes, to his way of thinking), and the person who was completely WRONG/EVIL and needlessly executed hundreds of people. Kane's ideology has been destroyed, which is why you see him head for his childhood solace ie his mother and the beliefs he was raised with. I think the audience saw Kane as the "baddie", but the episode was trying to show us that Kane saw himself as a true saviour. That kind of transition in perspective shatters people's sanity. So it might seem contradictory, but it's actually great writing, on a deeper level.
Flag
@Gill1138 Great observations. Hadn't looked at Kane that way before.
Flag
I understand what you are saying. It actually does mean the show interesting that he is not cardboard evil. I just wish they show more of that in the first few episodes. Still it does show the 100 is not a simple teenage show that some claim it to be.
Flag
They did introduce his mother and the tree people give water to early on and have him sneer at her and them. This set-up this episodes pay off when we see him share his water with the tree and return to his mother's arms. That construct is why I think @Gill1138 is right about how Kane saw himself and his old beliefs being shattered.
Flag
I am always happy to hear the show runner of my favorite shows think through the whole season. I hate it when these writers make up stories along the way.
Flag
Yeah, I think that's the one downside to trying to get your show renewed nowadays- The 100 didn't get 24 episodes upfront to set this stuff up, they have to really push things through in the first six or seven in hopes of scoring a second season. I get what you mean about a more gradual build of character elements across more episodes, it would be more subtle. The price of being a mid-season experiment, I guess.
Flag
I heard the show-runner talking about the writing. He said that he'd laid out the whole season already and already sketched out an outline for Season Two. He essentially said that it didn't matter to the storyline whether Season One was long or short, he was going to tell the same story anyway and that in a shorter season it might be more impactful because each episode has to do more.

That makes me think even more that what you've said about Kane and his development may be correct -- in that that stuff was thought through by the writers but because of the constraints of the shorter season much just has to be hinted at.

I get the sense so far with this writing team that they are deep thinkers and thorough planners.
Flag
Flag
I think the reason they didn't stick the knife in the grounder to him to tell them what the antidote was is because he was ready to die rather than give them that information. That's why the torture wasn't working. He just didn't want Octavia to die. It's probably why he took her to his cave to protect her while the others took out the rest of the 100.
Flag
I know he was willing to be tortured. I am guessing he assumes they will not kill him as long as he did not reveal the antidote. I am just not sure if his life was immediately threaten he would have reacted the same.
Flag

The grounder wouldn’t have revealed the antidote to save himself. He could withstand torture, he didn’t fear his own dead.

Flag
I am assuming the poison would killed him.
Flag
Really enjoying this show. These episodes are so intense and dark.
Also really like the dynamics between Clarke and Bellamy and I think by now they've come to respect each other's decisions and judgements instead of just butting heads like they were doing in the first couple of episodes.
That love triangle unnecessarily rears its ugly head ... but I think so far they've handled it well, although it would do good to not mention it again! =P
Flag
I liked that you could see the distastefulness of the torture in the actor who plays Bellamy.

It's not like he went at it with glee and at a certain point you can see that he's exhausted by it and wants to stop but thinks that he needs to continue (similar to how even when he was afraid he forced himself to keep looking for Octavia).

Kudos to that guy for playing Bellamy with depth and nuance.
Flag
Yes, that is completely correct. The acting is pretty good so far. Bob Morley (Bellamy) really portrayed the conflict his character was going through while torturing and only went ahead because of Clarke's desperation.
Eliza Taylor's Clarke too was really good in the scene when she breaks down when confronting her mother about her father's execution.
Flag
Flag
Flag
I'm still sort of impressed by this show, really. I thought it would be some light teenager experiment that I would not care about (cause I'm no teenager, you know). But it is working very well for me so far.

I agree that the weekest part right now is that love triangle. It is ok that is there, but maybe it is being given too much importance. Other than that, the pace is great, a lot of important things are happening and there is space for so much more! I guess I was so disappointed by, for example, Revolution, that I didn't expect much from The 100 in terms of science fiction raw environment. And I am pleasantly surprised, for once.
Flag
I really like this show. I like that Bellamy seems to recognize that Clarke is also a Leader of the 100. I loved how she kept telling Bellamy's "guards" to get out of her way, AND that they'd listen! You tell them!
I don't think I would mind if Bellamy & Clarke have a romance of some kind. Finn is fine but he's taken and I think it would make him think about his future, and about who he is Now, not who he was in the arc, to see Clarke with someone else. Raven is starting to bug me. She seems very clingy, Whilst Clarke is independent, no wonder why Finn is smitten with Clarke, his gf can't leave him alone!!
I also really like the Grounder and Octavia chemistry they have going on. Yes he has some Pretty impressive abs! but there's more to him and I look forward to finding out.
I LOVED Isaiah Washington's performance. Right after it happened I let out a: "WOW". I don't really care for him in the show, but that was Awesome. Made me feel bad for him that there will be all this bs of backstabbing due to the ex-chancellor. I think they should put all the names in a bowl and pick 700 names, the rest to live on the arc until it dies.....no?
More+
Flag
I guess I think they should pick who have skills they think they will need -- with some preference given to younger people in good health.
Flag
maybe it's just me but the Octavia/Grounder pairing seems quite reasonable.
Until Octavia got to earth, the only guy she was ever around was Bellamy before she was found and imprisoned. I'm not surprised that she seems to fall for anyone who pays her attention or helps her in the slightest (she spent an entire day with the grounder- he saved her life and she probably spent more time with him than any other guy besides Bellamy).

By the way, its about time we came across a female grounder (they must reproduce SOMEHOW). Maybe the female pool is small giving the grounder and Octavia that whole silly Disney connection.

I agree about the Clark and Finn pairing being slightly weak though. Her agreeing to torture for him was a little too out of character.

Besides that i'm really loving the show- the performance of the adults on the ark is terrific. The show almost makes me wonder what i'd do if i was part of the 100- probably die by the 3rd day!
Flag
That's a really great point actually. So far Octavia becomes entirely too interested in any guy as soon as they give her any attention at all regardless of any kind of social barrier. So why would the grounder be any different? Especially after he saved her life? Make perfect sense to me.
Flag
Staff
I can confirm that we WILL be meeting some female Grounders before season's end.
Flag
I read somewhere that the Australian actress from Dollhouse plays a female Grounder (not sure how reliable that info is, though).
Flag
"The Octavia/Grounder connection is a bit weird, but I'm willing to at least wait and see where it goes. And it's only 60 percent because of his abs."

Hmm the abs.. actually his figure is pretty good..

anyways, i find the connection is not 'a bit weird'. its totally weird. I mean they were basically doing the same thing, cleaning the palm wound, is it really that different whether its Octavia or Clark? I cant figure out the interest for Octavia, whether did the grounder likes her in a boy-girl way (which is totally not suitable, he seems a bit too old for her) or is it like brotherly thingy or uncle or father.. the writers have a bit of explaining to do..
Flag
Since we know he can understand them and they made absolutely no attempt to hide what they were saying -- the Grounder knows that Clarke gave the go-ahead for Bellamy to torture him. Even though what she did is maybe understandable even to him -- why would he give her the satisfaction of allowing her to clean him up afterwards. Besides he clearly likes or wants to appear to like Octavia.

The writers could go in several directions here. It could be that the Grounder (who is more sophisticated than he is letting on) has decided to get closer to Octavia so that he has a better chance of living or because he wants to find out more about the 100.

I get how Octavia would be drawn to him but I don't think even though he's been drawing her in his notebook that we can assume that his only agenda now is getting her love.
Flag
Totally agree about the Clarke - Finn romance being the weakest link, but I'm really enjoying everything else. Glad Kane isn't going to be a super villain and I really hope Diana isn't going to be all bad. I hope it turns out she wants to make sure it's not only the elites on the Ark who get to go to earth. I have a feeling she is behind Bellamy's assassination attempt on the chancellor, though.
Flag
Staff
The show's best strength is the way it portrays the many sides to humanity. No one is all good or all bad. And I think, or at least I hope, that will also extend to Diana.
Flag
I think Clarke would have made the same decision no matter who got stabbed. She already risked her life to save Jasper.

She did do something dark, but at the same time, there was no other option. Either they let Finn die or they try to get the antidote out of the Grounder.

I don't understand the comment that Clarke was back to her old self with letting Raven and Finn be together. Did you expect her personality to completely change? I think when Raven asked her if she loved Finn she realized that she barely knows Finn(like she said) and what happened between them happened way too fast. I think Finn might have also been her first "boyfriend", so maybe she's confused about her feelings for him. Also, she's focused more on keeping everyone alive than anything else.

I too feel the Finn and Clarke are too rushed, and I think that's why the majority rather would have Clarke and Bellamy together, Besides the fact the Finn is just not interesting and the leading lady should be paired with someone more dynamic.

Love how Bellamy and Clarke bonded more in this episode. They respect each other and listen to each other. Bellamy waited for Clarke's permission before he started torturing the grounder.

Octavia was very brave but she annoyed me. She tried to take full credit for saving Finn. No. Raven and Clarke played just as big parts in saving him. Without the fixing the radio, Clarke wouldn't have been able to get the help from her mother. Without Clarke removing the knife and figuring out he was poisoned, they wouldn't have known he needed an antidote. Octavia seemed more concerned with the Grounder's well being than Finn's.
More+
Flag
Re Bellamy and Clarke. I get what you're saying about the mutual respect (though Clarke always points out to him in these conversations how she didn't do X or Y for him, etc.) but I think the other reason Bellamy waited was because he was a reluctant torturer and didn't want the weight of the torture to fall only on his shoulders.

Liked that he acknowledged at the end (though in a backhanded way) that Clarke is in charge.
Flag
Wow, Isaiah Washington when he told screamed that he lost his son. It was only one line, delivered in a time span of max 3 seconds. But what powerful seconds they were...

I'm kinda also really digging the Octavia-handsome Grounder-pairing. I know it's silly, but damn... Abs. Hot, piercing eyes. More abs. Need I say more?
Flag
all the people left on the ark right now should die and then skip the scen at the ark and let the show be about the kids on the ground and not jumping to the ark and trying to come up with excuses why the people cant go dont to Earth and be with the 100, and if they are going down with the 100 then the kids are just put aside and the grownups is in charge again, so the 100 and the ark cant reunite, so having the ark in the show is just pointless
Flag
I doubt it's going to be as smooth as all that. They aren't ready to come down right now according to what Jaha and Diana said. And if all of the ships are in the same shape as the vessel that the 100 landed in people could die in the descent.
Flag
They can also really draw out things like continued or accelerated failure of the Ark's systems, disease, as well as the usual political intrigue.
Flag
and draw out is exactly what the a show dont need.. just booring on what to se what they come up with to not go down there and the show dont need that
Flag
Octavia is having a Stockholm Syndrome affair with the Grounder. Oh, hell, maybe they ARE in Stockholm, who knows?

Each time I see Lt. Gaeta, I think he's going to shout "Cylon attack! Cylon attack!" Especially now, with Kate Vernon (Battlestar Galactica) and Hiro Kanagawa (Caprica). The irony of it all is that Gaeta was eventually "floated" in BSG for mutiny.

Did Finn drink all the antidote? Did they remember to leave a little for Octavia? Speaking of antidotes, whenever they use the "mysterious antidote" plot device, I think my next questions would be, "OK, here's the antidote. How do I administer it? Drink it? Inject it? Inhale it? Use it as a shampoo?" But they always drink it.

Meanwhile, in the Ark... I'm a little confused. So, they did float the 320 people after all. Weren't Jaha and Abby among them? As for the Titanic situation, Iw as expecting something like that to happen. I'm even surprised they have the resources to transport 700 people, which is a lot.
Flag
Jaha decided not to volunteer to be floated at the last minute because Kane talked him out of it.

For some strange reason, even though she committed a bunch of offences that should have sealed her death, Abby was only put in lock-up and then stripped of her councillorship.

The antidote thing was weak, since many, many poisons don't have one -- but instead have processes (often long) through which the poison can be removed from your body.
Flag
OK, thanks!
Flag
K just finished watching... I have to say that it continues to entertain so that's great...

Now, one thing I didn't like was Clarke 'losing it' Was it me or the characters seem... out of character or maybe what they are trying to do is paint them 'grey' but the attempt has been a bit... unsuccessful?

I don't know if I am explaining myself:
+ Clarke & Bellamy seem to have a deep understanding now. Bellamy even respects & appreciates Clarke's input.
+ Kane doesn't look so 'evil cartoonish' now but he completely collapsed
+ The Chancellor is having a second air
+ There is a new variable in the mix: a new character that was presented a bit awkwardly but already feels cartoonish...(can't remember her name now, the blonde woman)

Still: now we know less than 1/3 of the people on the ark can go down to Earth... this is going to be interesting...
Flag
Oops clicked on Submit before reading your comments Kaitlin!
You got the new character's name: Diana Sydney. No wonder she looked so familiar: she was in BSG! :-D

Another actress that I did recognize right away but forgot to comment on last time is the amazing Christine Willes from one of my beloved series "Dead Like Me" where she played the hilarious Delores Herbig (she was also in Reaper but I did not follow that show much at the time)

Anyway: we both agree that the series has been rather entertaining so far...
In my opinion much more than "Tomorrow People" (I couldn't go past 4 eps) and "Star Crossed" that I still watch in a hurry and just out of curiosity to see where the storyline leads...
Flag
Staff
It's been killing me (but not enough to look it up, apparently) to figure out where I knew that woman from. I watched/loved both Dead Like Me and Reaper. I can't believe I couldn't place her right away.
Flag
Is she the one who plays Kane's mother. If so, I thought she was well cast, as they look alike.
Flag
Also, the time frame thing is interesting. In the pilot when Clarke thought she was about to be floated she was shouting about her not being old enough yet, she still had another month before she was 18. I was wondering would her birthday come up again on Earth. It's probably not important, at all, but I wondered about it. If there's only 22 ish days in the first season then probably not.
Flag
I like that they've started to blur the lines a bit on the main characters. Last week we saw how Bellamy became the way he is on earth and there's hints that original recipe Bellamy is still in there. This week we saw Clarke blur the lines a little bit. I agree with the comments about her feelings for Finn being the weak link in her characters story. However, I kind of look at it a bit like Bellamy and Finn are the angel and the devil on Clarke's shoulders. Not talking anything romantic here, just in general. If it had been someone else that was stabbed Clarke would have been against the torturing but she would have had Finn backing her up. Like him or not he seems to hold almost as much sway as Bellamy and Clarke do. With him incapacitated Clarke is left to her own devices and when she wavers there's nobody there to push her to "do the right thing". I can buy her telling Finn she can't do it without him in this respect. She is aware of decisions she's capable of making and knows she needs Finn to help her make the better decisions, she's maybe a bit afraid of what she's capable of if he's not there to persuade her to take the high road. I'm probably reaching there but it makes more sense to me, in the time frame these events are taking place, than her being madly in love with Finn after a few days.
I will lose the plot if we get anymore scenes of Clarke telling Bellamy off though. She was very hypocritical in allowing him to do it to save Finn five minutes after telling him not to do it. I think Bellamy summed it up pretty well at the end. Who they are and who they need to be to survive are two very different things. You can't make decisions based on any normal rationale down there. It's not normal day to day human living.

All in all that was a super intense episode. I was laughing hysterically when Raven came up and brought out the electricity to torture the guy! I couldn't believe it. Every time you think you know how it's going to go they do something like that. I was expecting her to maybe have a heart to heart with the guy about how important Finn was, a sort of second hand way to make Clarke feel bad, but nope! She ripped those wires right out and zapped him!

I'm 50/50 on the Ark stuff but hopefully now this madam is on the council things will kick off a bit. She's clearly not to be trusted.
More+
Flag
Thumbs up on the Bellamy comment as well. Though -- there is lots of evidence that torture seldom works and that it wins you enemies more than anything else. So, in this specific case, I think Clarke was right to begin with.
Flag
No, I don't think you're reaching. You are right that Finn is Clarke's backup (sometimes physically) against/with Bellamy.

I hadn't thought about the functional friendship aspect of things with him when she said her line about not being able to do it without him.

The romance angle seems hollow -- but what you put your finger on makes a ton of sense.
Flag
It definitely makes more sense than her just being incapable of functioning at all without Finn around. It's not that unbelievable that these kids would form intense relationships pretty quickly given where they are and where they've come from, Clarke having been in solitary for a year is bound to have an impact on her social interactions too, but.... yeah.....

Even Bellamy's comment about it not being easy being in charge seemed to reflect Clarke's struggle with making decisions. Even though they disagree on almost everything they do Bellamy is the other person besides Finn that Clarke interacts with most and that one line, to me anyway, was kind of summing up what Clarke was feeling in regards to Finn. I think... or I hope. I can buy that Clarke's feelings are confused when it comes to Finn but I have to think there's more to it than just being madly in love with the guy after 2 weeks of knowing him.
Flag
Let's hope so. From the interviews I've seen the show runner is smart and thinks a lot about the plot and characters. Making it instant love on Clarke's part would really cheapen things.

I think for Finn the attraction might be that he gets to be more than he otherwise would be with Clarke. He's like her lieutenant. Plus, Raven is really clingy and controlling (the haircut is a good small example).
Flag
Very true. Again, Finn and Raven's initial relationship developed in a very specific situation. I would assume Finn would never have interacted with someone like Clarke on the Ark, and his and Raven's relationship grew out of her needing him and she seems to still need him, which is not necessarily good for him. Having had a taste of life away from that perhaps Finn isn't as reliant on Raven as she is on him. I suppose it's a bit like Bellamy and Octavia's relationship. It developed in a very specific situation and taken out of it's original setting it's full of holes and they're drifting further and further apart.

I agree about the show runner. He seems to have a very clear idea of where it's all going and so far I've seen nothing to make me doubt that he knows what he's doing.
Flag
This show is stealthily creeping up my top 10 shows list :) Clarke is on the brink of being annoying to me though, due to wandering into 'whinge' territory a few too many times. All the characters are balancing each other out nicely though. Also, If Kaitlin is allowed to comment on Grounders Abs then I'm allowed to say Octavia is hot!
Flag
Octavia is super hot ! Marie Avgeropoulos the actress is already 27 but she looks 17. Since she is 27, we can ogle at her without guilt. Ha !

Lindsey Marie Morgan who plays Raven is also hot ! she is 24.
Flag
No way, 27?! This world is upside down sometimes. Think I need a lie down *scratches head*
Flag
Well according to wikipadia, that is how I found all that data.

.wikipedia - Marie
Flag
I agree with you. Even tho it's fair to say that there's really nothing new on TV, I find The 100 to be a refreshing take on a well used storyline. This one has good cast chemistry along with pretty good writing. I can see so many possibilities for this show and I can't think of any that wouldn't be interesting to watch.

I hope it gets a 2cd, full series. So far they have delivered in every episode and I can honestly say I'm excited for the next one. Pretty rare these days....
Flag
You're right. I like how they're not trying to do anything groundbreaking, just making damn good sci fi! Has it been renewed yet?
Flag
Not yet but I think likely too.
Flag
From the moment Clark dropped the poison knife on the ground I said : Octavia should just stab herself with it and the grounder will tell you the antidote, no torture needed. It took her a really long time to figure that one out.

Clark condoning torture is a big step in her development indeed, but I don’t think it’s only because of her feelings for Finn. She would have done it for anyone else she interacted with, she gave herself the responsibility to keep ‘her people’ safe and she’ll stop at nothing to do so. Not completely the same but with Jasper she went into potentially dangerous water to safe him without thinking. They’re losing more people and she knows she has to step up and do better to keep them all safe no matter what the cost is.

The grounder has some drawing skills, though his portrait skills need some work, Clark and him can start giving art classes.

Giving the manipulative bitch back the Chancellor position was such an idiotic move from Jaha. Who wants to bet that she told Commander Shumway to kill the Chancellor, and he gave the order to Bellamy.

Ow, Wells could also make animals from left over’s, not origami ones though. Also, ex- Chancellor Jaha is going to stay behind on the Ark. He’s got nothing to live for anymore.

After saving Finn they still had 10 minutes left, just to give us emotional fall out. Personally they should have cut at least 5 minutes of it but that’s just me.

Next week’s promo gives me the creeps.
More+
Flag
I immediately thought the same thing, about the knife. Also, they could have used it on the guy himself. I bet he would've pointed out the antidote in that scenario as well.

I also agree with the Clark assessment (that she would've condoned that for any of the 100, because it's her character) and your theory on who gave Shumway the order to offer Bellamy that deal (as soon as Kane started to get humanized, and that lady was introduced, it just made my head go there).
Flag

He could withstand torture, he didn’t fear his own dead, so I don't think stabbing him with the knife wouldn’t have made him ‘talk’.

Flag
*would have made
(woeps, need to re-read better)
Flag
Balsy move allowing the communication from the ground to get through. Once I heard them saying, "We don't know what the flares were" I thought the question of whether or not the 100 had survived was going to get dragged out for a while longer on the ark. This episode was relatively well done.
Flag
Oops! Just noticed it should be 'ballsy', and not 'balsy'.
Flag
I like Clark she's growing on me, I liked raven ever since she flew through the airlock and well Finn is just loveable, a ass but loveable. It was great to see the grounder half naked he is hot and the tattoos were cool don't know how he got them but I don't care, I'm wondering if he had a sister or daughter and lost then so he sees Octavia as someone familiar and someone he can protect that would be nice. I swear when I saw Kate Vernon I couldn't help but yell at the tv saying "don't trust her, please don't trust her". I loved her in Battlestar even in there I didn't trust her.
Flag
Do you think Jaha and Kane bought Diana's speech and trust her? She got Jaha at a vulnerable point, but I hope he isn't that stupid.
Flag
Hopefully I think he knows he can't trust her but see her as a means to an end.
Flag
Flag
Kate character just feels so slimy.
Flag
I have a feeling they're setting Clark up to jump from one "love triangle" of herself, Raven, and Finn, to Finn, Clark, and Bellamy. -what kind of names are these???

Octavia's jungle love with the grounder is going to totally end pulling a move from the Disney movie Pocahontas. There will be war between the 100 and the grounders, and it'll be "their true love" that united both tribes. blah, blah, blah.

What are these kids eating by the way? Are they surviving off of their good looks alone? What happened to getting to the mountain to find dusty preserves? Is that a story we're going to resolve? ... Probably not.

I don't know. It still needs something to give it more spice. I know! What if the acid fog killed you from boils and then had some kind of chemical potency to bring you back as a zombie. Boil Bog Zombies. The 100 Zombies.... now we're talking :D
Flag
it's more of a love square than 2 love triangles
Flag
In the 10.5 days that the 100 have been on the ground there has been at lest 2 hunting trips. the first one was by accident when they went to rescue Jasper and then there was the wild boar hunt. I'm assuming that's how they're eating.
Flag
Wasn't the boar hunt aborted??
Flag
Yes, but... There's 100 of them! A boar would be great for maybe 20 people.. but 100??? nope.
Flag
I totally agree, there is a new love triangle with Clarke and Bellamy in the horizon... and I love the chemistry between those two!!!
For me... Finn can be with Raven, not problem at all!!!

This show is totally growing on me too, it's serious, adult (even if they're teens) and I think that they're focussing on the right side of the show... not teens nonsense but exploring the "new" land, the way that they're building the new society...
Definitely I like this show!!
Flag
I like Clarke. Her reasoning to join in the torture would have been annoying if the Grounder who has known Octavia for a few hours was willing to go through that much pain only to change his mind when she cut herself.
Although their Octavia and the Grounder DO have an intriguing connection, She must remind him of his long lost girl or something.

Still waiting for Bellamy and Clarke to just admit it...They have chemistry even while dismissing each other.

Finn, Raven, Clarke triangle so far is being handled fairly well.

Torture is cruel but Raven looked so hot and badass when she started electrocuting the Grounder.

Chancellor with his pain over his son, Clarkes mothers guilt and the Kanes existensial criais were all superbly acted.

Didnt realise that there where so few humans left as a race..Just over 2000...and less than half will make it.. WOW

I do like the human nature dilemmas this show throws at the characters and then seeing the consequences play out is pretty good TV. i.e Kane in this episode.

Flag
I have no qualms about the acting... but I feel in this ep it felt rushed for me or maybe the script was clumsy it still does not click with me.
Now the ep where the 300 people decide to commit suicide to allow people they love to live was cooked just perfect.
Flag
Kaitlin: "Not only do I get to sleep a lot, I'm almost never stabbed by strangers. "

-???
Flag
Well it's actually a fact: poor Kaitlin (and other staff writers on this site) take some heat from trolls and other extremely impolite characters... (I do not want to say morons but that would do to.) Job hazards? ;-P
Flag
Staff
You know how it is.
Flag
I loved this episode but I don't remember Jasper dying.
Flag
I read an article that Jasper was supposed to die in the pilot,but I guess they liked him and decided to have him survive.
Flag
I don't think he's dead. I think I saw him in the promo for next week's episode.
Flag
WHAT??? Jasper dies? I am gonna have a mild panic attack now. I knew I shouldn't have read this before watching the episode, but I can't watch it till tomorrow :( not Jasper.
Flag
we don't see jasper die and i thought he was alive at the end of last epsiode right. They say they are doing something for the people they lost and they mention jasper and we don't see him this epsiode but i don't remember him dying.
Flag
I hated this episode!now people are shipping Octavia with a grounder?Gross!
Flag
That is one fine @$$ grounder! A(b)+ for Amazing CW!
Flag
with what things have been said about what happens in the next couple of episodes,I don't think you'll be seeing him much longer.it went from last episode to episode 10 talking about him.then in episode 11,it just goes back to an episode about Finn's life being in danger
Flag
Grounders are still 100% normal humans, I don't know why Octavia and a grounder would be gross, unless there is an extreme age difference.
Flag
"Grounders are still 100% normal humans." Are they though? What I mean is: is that guy really a Grounder?

Maybe he's just a normal human, but who's to say those things he drew in his book are actually human? Remember the weird skull the 100 found earlier in the season? It's not like there has to be just one group of people/things out there.
Flag
Hmm not sure but I'm sure all will be revealed. Maybe the skulls are another group, regardless this guy looked pretty normal. That skull might have been from the first generation after the nuclear war stuff and in that case they would have deformities. I'm not a science major or anything but I'm pretty sure it takes more than 97 years to get rid of radiation side effects, but this is tv and that guy looked unaffected so I'm gonna say Octavia and him are fine in my books, grounder or some other random tribe, doesn't matter he still seems human thus far.
Flag
As far as the radiation is concerned, the people left on earth would either die of cancer/poisoning or they would survive. Looking at the survivors in Japan that were affected by the nuclear bombs, there were no significant birth defects in those who had children after the radiation. Not all DNA mutation would be passed on to future generations, it's only a specific type of affected cell that would pass it on.
Flag
It wouldn't work like that. Radiation causes permanent DNA mutations that could be carried on to future generations. Also, it's not like there has been a break in the high radiation levels and these would continue to cause random mutations in DNA.

I guess we're supposed to believe that whereever they've landed is far from the site of any bombs (though in a real disaster you'd also have to contend with the melt-down of the now untended to nuclear power plants and research facilities). That's the only thing that would explain such robust life and no signs of direct damage in the forest around them.

It could be that the Grounders are part of a population that lived for a long time in bunkers. Still -- 97 years isn't long enough to make a radiation soaked landscape safe. And even if your local area didn't take a direct hit what would protect you from the contaminated rain and wind (and even wildlife and waterways) from other areas?

I've suspended disbelief.
Flag
He seems young 20's defiantly so if they were than ok but I don't think this is where the shows going with that.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members