A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2016)

The 100 S01E09: "Unity Day"

The 100 finale won't air for several more weeks, but the show is already laying down track for what's certainly going to be an exciting—and probably deadly—end to its freshman season. Though, to be fair, you could probably say that about the entire season up until this point. The CW renewed the series for Season 2 last week, and I'm very glad we'll be able to continue exploring its world, because it continues to tackle subjects that most teen dramas never even think of, including war, survival, and the brutal honesty of being a leader and having to make the hard decisions.

In "Unity Day," both the people on the Ark and the Hundred on the ground were celebrating, well, Unity Day—the day when all 12 space stations came together to form the Ark. Naturally, as teenagers are wont to do, their celebration included getting wasted on Unity Juice, and for Octavia, it meant having sex with Lincoln, the Grounder who saved her life. That feels awfully sudden, but if we look at things from Octavia's point of view, it certainly makes sense that she would be impulsive in her decision-making. I mean, wouldn't you want to live a little if you'd spent so much time locked up, either under the floor or in a cell with only your mother and brother for company? I'm just not sure her ladybits are going to be what successfully bridges the very wide gap between the Hundred and the Grounders.

Finn, ever the nice guy and optimist that he is, wanted to make peace with the Grounders before any more danger could befall the Hundred's camp, and before the first ship from the Ark arrived on the ground. The plan was for that first ship to be loaded with soldiers and weapons, so that a more "real" settlement could be established before the rest of the Ark (or rather, the people who were lucky enough to secure passage) descended, and Finn wanted to ensure that the first group didn't just show up and start a war. To kick off his peacemaking efforts, Finn returned the knife Lincoln stabbed him with (is Finn too forgiving?) and asked Lincoln to set up a meeting between Clarke (Lincoln saw Clarke, not Bellamy, as the leader of the Hundred) and the leader of the Grounders, played by Dollhouse's Dichen Lachman. As the show has done time and again, it took everything we thought we knew and flipped it. The 100 takes pleasure in making viewers reevaluate their opinion of this particularly savage world, that's probably its greatest strength. Well, that and killing people.

The Grounders, who until now were viewed as aggressive attackers who'd murdered several of the Hundred, saw those horny teens as invaders! The flares the Hundred launched to alert the Ark they were alive actually ended up burning down a Grounder village—which, to be fair, most people would see as an act of war, no matter the intent. Add to that the fact that the Hundred kidnapped Lincoln and tortured him, and it's very easy to understand the Grounders' mindset. So it obviously didn't help that Jasper fired the first shots at the Grounders in the trees, which erased just about any hope of a truce between the two groups. Just when I think I have this show all figured out, it turns a corner and surprises me and makes me look at everything in a new light. 

Most series would have painted the Grounders as your typical enemies with no redeeming qualities, but villains who are villains for no reason are not nearly as compelling as villians you can (partially) relate to. The 100 excels at showcasing both sides to every story, just as it shows that there are two sides to every person. We often look to Bellamy when we think about a character who's changed considerably since the series premiere, and who's proven himself to be more than just an angry leader championing chaos. And as he's changed, so has Clarke. She's morphed into another character as being on the ground has forced her to adapt who she is and decide what kind of leader she wants to be. Right now she's still holding down the middle ground between Finn's optimism and Bellamy's pessimism, but with each passing episode, she's leaning more and more in one direction.

As the Hundred were facing their own problems on the ground, the adults on the Ark weren't in any better shape. They held a nice Unity Day celebration that ended with six people dead—including Kane's mother—after an explosion that was meant to kill Chancellor Jaha interrupted the proceedings. Fortunately, Jaha had ended his Unity Day remarks early and escaped any real harm, but the damage was done. The mutiny on the Ark was a seed planted in the series premiere when Jaha was shot, and it's been a slow burn ever since. At the time, I assumed Kane was calling the shots, because he had all the trademarks of a jerk who was tired of sitting on the sidelines. He was the obvious choice as the person desperate enough for power that he'd stage a coup. But just like Bellamy, Kane is proof that you can't judge a book by its cover; he's just a man who was placed in a very difficult stituation. 

The scene where Kane said the prayer over his dying mother was probably some of Henry Ian Cusick's best work on The 100 to date, and it only adds another item to the list of reasons why Kane is my favorite character. I never know what to expect from him—unlike Diana, who's so easy to read it baffles me how neither Jaha nor anyone else ever saw her as anything but a mutineer. She's so desperate that she launched the ship to the ground without taking the proper precautions, and now the entire Ark is without power, which means she might've just doomed everyone on it. Thanks a lot, Diana! Of course, she's not necessarily in any better shape, as the ship didn't deploy its parachutes as it headed toward Earth, and appeared to crash upon impact. Clarke's mother was on board, and it's going to be a very long week as we wait to find out whether or not she survived the crash. Poor Clarke, dude. First her father died, then she found out her mother was responsible, and now her mother might be dead, too. I do not envy her!

"Unity Day" was yet another surprising and exciting episode in a long line of them, as it moved The 100's story along and took it to places I never saw it going, or even dreamed that a show on The CW would be able to reach. I assumed we'd see an altercation between the Hundred and the Grounders before the season was over, but I never thought the Hundred would be painted in a negative light as the attackers. Of course, few people ever see themselves as the Bad Guys in a conflict—and the Hundred did go into the meeting with as good intentions as they possibly could have, given the circumstances—but the way the series has embraced the duality of human nature, and its belief in giving voice to the Grounders, is what makes it exciting to watch week in and week out. 

Until next week! When Shoulder Pads returns! 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

247 Comments
Comments (247)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
In before Clarke and her Melia complex...
Flag
what is the guy's playing drinking game with clarke name ??
Flag
Slowly but surely, this show is establishing itself as some quality brain candy. Just enough substance to keep you from developing cavities, but not so much substance that it requires any level of thought. Just sit back and enjoy.

Most interesting part of the 100/Grounders summit was (after the "You won't be able to stand against our weapons") the revelation these aren't the first people to come face to face with the Grounders and (presumably) they defeated others. Does that leave open the possibility that the spear that Jasper took to the chest wasn't actually from THESE grounders but from another group(s)?

Side note...

WOO!!! Canadian are alive in the future, eh!

"I'm just not sure her ladybits are going to be what successfully bridges the very wide gap between the Hundred and the Grounders."

That made me giggle more than it was probably meant to
Flag
I'm a bit surprised about the three flares burning a village to the ground. When seen from the station, they passed straight from one end to the end of the window of the space station. The distance would have been important. How far do these grounders leave ? The probability that the flares hit a village should have been very low since there are surely not a lot of people on the ground: because these villages would have been noticed from the space station. This is the main criticism I can make so far, I'm surprise by the show and very happy to follow. It is a bit too much about teens, but it is well done.
Flag
I loved Jasper's unity-day song :')
Flag
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to like Bellamy a lot more now, and liking Clarke less and less. I think a lot of that is having a better understanding of what Bellamy has gone through to be where he is and who he is, whereas with Clarke, even knowing her backstory, you still sort of find her very whiny and annoying, especially when she keeps making stupid choices in the name of maintaining order amid the chaos.
Flag
okay where to start, BELLAMY has more bad, stupid uncaring choices than CLARKE by a long shot!!! Bellamy made the choice to string people up, not to give them food unless they took their bracelets off, take the radio, take the gun and shoot Jaha shall I go on I don't think so!!! granted he as his moments, now CLARKE what bad choices are u referring to!! CLARKE has been right more times by a long shot!! I'm not saying that all here decisions were right, their not going to be, nobodies will be they are in the unknown!!! bottom line decisions have to be made right, wrong bad, good u cant waste time, u have to learn from all, now I will grant U Bellamy has grown , and learn from his decisions but so as Clarke, even Bellamy recognizes that Clarke is more than a leader than he is!! I'm not a fan of Bellamy maybe because he is the villain on the ground and maybe that is the point!! both of their back stories are important, but Clarke is far from whiny , NOW UP AT ARK there is nothing but whiny bitches up there!! overall I'm not fan of this show!! I really don't care about the characters the only one with caring for is OCTAVIA, do to the fact she has done nothing wrong!! think about she has not!!! but that is moot point I have already made the decision not to finished the season!!
More +
Flag
You need Xanax, lots and lots of Xanax. And you have no business claiming you don't care about the characters after a rant like that. You do know it's just a show right? RIGHT???
Flag
I have read larger rants than mine, that have ripped Bellamy,Clarke Octavia etc or any other show !!! but can you disagree with any have my statements? U CAN'T U are pissed because I disagree about Bellamy boo hoo the best U can come with XANAX sorry I know it just I show !!! its a show that I don't like after nine episodes so here is another point!!!! its MY OPINION fine its obviously you disagree with my OPINION I RESPECT YOUR COMMENT (I NEVER DISSED YOUR COMMENT) BUT HAVE THE COURTESY RESPECT MINE
Flag
You need a few more exclamation points and capital letters to get your point across.
Flag
I only understood about half of what you just wrote, I'll just assume the other half was mindless grumbling. And yes, I can disagree with pretty much everything you said, simply by your own argument that its an opinion, so thanks for ruining your own argument for me! Perhaps some Aderall with your Xanax?
Flag
Sometimes this show goes and tackles issues and from such objective angles, I almost wonder if the CW executives understand it or maybe they don't think we do. But then they are putting a lot of effort behind Arrow and its creative team so I give them some credit as Arrow deals with social conflict and injustice as well (yes, not as well as some people want it to but it acknowledges it) and the whole killer v. hero debate.

Honestly, the only mistake I really saw the 100 making there was Bellamy choosing Jasper of all people to be on his back up team. I mean any of Bellamy's remaining thug crew would probably have been better than the guy in your community who actually has a legitimate beef with the Grounders (I have been presuming Lincoln was the one who did the poultice) and technically besides the actual invasion, that was actually the first act of war.

I actually gasped when the bomb went off on the Ark. I really really hope that someday, and I know this is probably a second season wish, that we get some historical perspective episodes. I mean even if it is a matter of like Finn and Clarke getting captured and telling their history while their earth bound captors tell their version of events. We might have three different viewpoints since Clarke likely accepts the message given even if she understands some of the spin of it, Finn thinks it is bullshit propaganda, and well, I am almost wondering if the story of the nuclear bombs might have been untrue.

Was anyone else waiting for Jaha to just yell back to Diana, that information is something every chancellor has known for x number of years, you could have easily told anyone since you were chancellor before me. But, I'm guessing she is probably dead now, or totally dependent on Abby who seems to be on the same fence her daughter is on.
More+
Flag
taking Jasper was the right decision, I'm not fan of Bellamy at all but he is observant!! Jasper like Octavia big time, and would do anything to protect her!!
Flag
From the Grounder side the acts of aggression:

- Landing in their territory. They seem to be or have been at war with others before. Anya referenced this and there has to be a reason for warriors like Lincoln, the booby traps and hanging skeletons

- Trying to get into Mount Hood and probably also their exploration of the supply bunker where they found the guns.

- Setting off the flares that burned the Grounder village to the ground.

- The fortification of the 100's camp and the militarization of its residents (armed watches, hunting parties, etc.). While these serve a protective purpose it also looks like an acknowledgement that you are at war

- Capturing and torturing Lincoln

- Bellamy and company charging into clearly marked off Grounder territory looking for Octavia (the Grounders wouldn't have known that is what they were doing).

- Generally tromping around the Grounder's territory as if it is the 100's/ all of it is open for exploration (and maybe more importantly exploitation)

- Now, Jasper shooting first at the bridge
Flag
I gotta admit, I was kind of insulted when Israel wasn't one of the twelve states, we are one of the only countries with current ability to launch spacecrafts...
but actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we were the 13th country, and we were blown... We do have the tendency to get on other countries' nerves...
Flag
How do you know the Germans didn't nuke Israel for fun and profit?
Flag
"Nobody suspects ze Germans."
Flag
I do.
Flag
hi again,
this is the picture that shows part of Clarke's cuff :-)
http://img2.tvtome.com/i/u/2fc8691964854ceeccbc893eaadee694.jpg
Flag
That would be her Dad's wristwatch. The one he gave her before he was floated and that she nearly wrestled the guards for when they came to tkae her to the dropship.
Flag
Looks like a wrist watch to me.
Flag
Hi,
Does anyone know or would be able to confirm what Clarke is wearing on the Unity Day episode? I thought she wore the same thermal type shirt on every episode, but the last episode I swear she was wearing the Free People Kyoto cuff thermal? The thermal does indeed have a split neck design vs what this picture shows.
http://www.freepeople.com/we-the-free-kyoto-cuff-thermal/_/searchString/thermal/QUERYID/537607248570a3698d00027b/CMCATEGORYID/683d4023-53f5-4900-b5ce-ecf465df31a9/SEARCHPOSITION/0/STYLEID/28678753/PRODUCTOPTIONIDS/F41043CA-B93C-4663-9E51-620B10B9F1F6/
let me know - thx :-)
Flag
To me what she wore this ep looks like the same shirt she wears every day or is meant to since I think the idea is that they all just have one set of clothes.
Flag
I was thinking that too, but also thought maybe she had pieces of cloth around her wrist in some of the earlier episodes when she didn't have a jacket on and that's why I didn't notice it then. This last episode it really did look like the Kyoto Free People thermal. - pin stripe design on one cuff in the episode still I posted and the other cuff you can see the crocheted part of the cuff and how it splits. I know for other WB shows like Vampire Diaries they confirm some of the clothing that's worn, brand etc, so I wasn't sure if anyone knew or was doing it for this show :-)
Flag
Hmm, maybe you can find the costume director's name on IMDB and with luck s/he is on Twitter or FB and you can ask.

I would imagine that whatever you are noticing has been there from the beginning or is an established part of the set of clothes Clarke has because of the nature of the show, but it would be interesting to know.
Flag
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know I found a website that confirmed she's wearing the Free People Kyoto cuff thermal in mushroom. I had bought this thermal last Fall and didn't get to wear it. It's sold out now and hard to find :-)
http://sceneon.tumblr.com/page/2

Clarke Griffin (Eliza Taylor) wears a Free People Newbie Thermal Kyoto Cuff in the color Mushroom in The 100 Season 1 Episode 8 “Day Trip.”

*Note* The costume department trimmed the bottom hem of the thermal and added it to the top to make it look like a placket.

Flag
good idea..you'll laugh - I don't have a facebook or twitter acct, lol
Flag
I would like to know how this show got the go ahead for season 2, and The Tomorrow People was canned.
Flag
Well, to be honest, TTP was very teen-focused. The 100 has its share of that, to be sure, but it also has other main characters and plot that appeal to a more general audience.
Flag
It wasn't between The 100 and The Tomorrow People. It was between The Tomorrow People and Beauty and the Beast. The dumbass executive went on record to say it wasn't about the numbers (the Tomorrow People outdid Beauty and the Beast)...it was about the international market. Apparently other countries like Beauty and the Beast. I thought that was a horrible thing to say. I thought we were about ratings here.

With that said The 100 is performing better in the same time slot Tomorrow People had.
Flag
I was not a fan of the tomorrow people but you're right, it was a horrible thing to say. As well as making financial decisions, network executives are also spin doctors and sometimes outright liars. It almost certainly has nothing to do with the international markets (or the passion of the fanbase, or whatever else he said).
Final decisions on renewals/cancellations never have anything to do with 'the international market' except it's something like Hannibal that's being FUNDED by international bodies. It's very likely more to do with the politics going on with the CW/CBS.

Flag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWiyKgeGWx0
Flag
Well if the other countries are making more money for the show than domestic numbers-- it doesn't matter where the money comes from just as long as it comes into the coffers!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
There were a lot of things I liked about tonights episode:
-Clarke's mistakes, which are making her more human instead of holier than thou. Even if I like her less, I actually find her more interesting.
-Bellamy, who even though he wasn't actually at fault (for once), still managed to be responsible for the cock up by giving a machine gun to the drunk/hungover abused-by-the-enemy PSTD kid... seriously, think it through.
-I liked how the leader of the Grounders noted Bellamy was the warrior leader. That would be a fascinating romance, like unstoppable force meets immovable object...!
-I have no feeling at all for Lincoln. His relationship with Octavia creeps me out a bit, and he's kind of blank in my mind, but others seem to like it. (Octavia seriously needs a therapist.)
-I'll admit, I cried when Kane's mum died. Wish they'd stop randomly killing characters, but at the same time, it is kind of like real life, which makes for great television. I hope Kane takes the tree to Earth (if they get there.)
-Jasper attempting to flirt with Raven was kind of cute. I like the lighthearted moments in the midst of so much chaos.
-The guy playing the drinking game with Clarke got enough screen time to let us know he's either a new regular minor character, or he'll die next week.
-Finn missed keeping an eye on Clarke while injured/recovering, and is only now realising that it left a window for Bellamy, and that has influenced her. And let's face it, that happens in life. I mean, Finn's relationship with Raven is altered because of the window of time he spent with Clarke. So I kind of liked that bit of writing (almost a tin-y bit of a karmic loop, you could say!)
-The Grounder's version of events made me laugh very wartime propaganda. Skipped past their initial atrocities to focus on what The 100 did wrong. Clarke held her temper pretty well... Did even ONE of the Grounders bother to attempt to talk to one of The 100 before attacking them? Do kids usually invade weaponless? Lincoln and the loss of the village were WAY later in the story.
-I like watching the happenings on The Ark but that mob are so bad at their job I don't feel that bad for them... I feel worse for the kids. I kind of feel bad for the kids that they have to put up with the adults, landing in fact.
-Favourite lines were when Finn talking about the Ark and trying to explain to the Grounder how the Ark just murders people who don't do what they're told. It reminded the audience that it's not the same as our culture, that we can't assume to understand how The Arkers think. Nice writing.

More+
Flag
RE the Grounders -- I think just as we can't assume that the Arkers think as we do, we can't assume that the Grounders do either. They have their own history and culture.

They seem to have had or to be having a war with another group and it's as if the 100 have dropped down in the middle of it.

Post-nuclear war they have formed some kind of tribal society, that may well have taboos that don't have anything to do with the usual strategic concerns about where people can go. Mount Hood may have strategic significance and that's why they speared Jasper, but it could also just be a place only certain people in their community are allowed to enter -- so it wouldn't matter whether the kids were armed or not for that to be received as aggression.

There's also no reason why the Arker's presence wouldn't really freak the Grounders out. They seem, so far, to live a really low tech lifestyle and the collective memory of tech (the cause of the nuclear war) may not be positive. In that scenario, would they receive ships falling from the sky well?

Bellamy and company's trip into clearly marked Grounder territory in search of Octavia may have been seen as an escalation by them. They would not necessarily know that he was only searching for his sister.

From their perspective the kids are not only tramping around their lands (eating of their plants and animals) but have also now built a big fort in the middle of it.
More +
Flag
I still found Anya's attitude pretty rich. Nobody considered talking to Jasper, between spearing him, and tying him to a tree? I think they just reflectively extended whatever war they're having with another group, onto The 100. Or more accurately, projected their cultural attitudes onto the kids. It was a nice set up, having Anya and Clarke speak, because the show is good at making characters who appear aggressive "baddies", like Kane and Bellamy, into more complex characters, once their motivations/histories are presented, and I think they've started laying the groundwork for that with the Grounders, especially by implying there's more than one group... season 2 should be fun. Also, am I the only one who kind of likes the Kane/Abby chemistry?
Flag
Finn the voice of reason. Stupid kids just started a war :) this show is reminding me of Battlestar Galactica and I love it. Octavia and Lincoln :) :) :) I like it. I can't wait for next week.
Flag
I really hope, while it would be a bold, and therefore great, step for The 100, that Clarke's mother didn't die, as she is, in my opinion, the best character on this show.
Flag
Unity Day was one the better episodes, but it might not be enough to finish the season!! I will not be tuning in to S2 by far the CW worst show
Flag
I thought that honor went to Heart of Dixie or Star Crossed?
Flag
both Hart of Dixie and Star-Crossed 1000+ times better than the 100
Flag
Really, you think Star-Crossed was 1000+ times better than "The 100"? I think that is optimistic. I'll give you this Star-Crossed was the alien terrorist fighting teenaged 24 that should have never been. And Heart of Dixie is well unintelligent version of Northern Exposure. But to be honest they are so close in quality it is hard to tell which one is truly a standout show in the worst show of all time category.
Flag
Northern Exposure was just more intelligent. However, it had the same exact formula as Heart of Dixie-- Jewish doctor moves (in this case to repair is his medical school debt) to small town Alaska where hilarity ensues do his total inability to blend in. Of course he falls in love for the hard-harted bush pilot with a track record of dead fiancees. And so and so forth as he slowly is accepted into the tight knit and quirky town of Sicily Alaska.

Now of course Hart Of Dixie takes that same premise and instead of making Hart a slick city doctor trapped in a financially imposed gulag--she is more like a perky sophomore in High School trying to figure out herself before she goes off to college.

The problem HofD is that while the characters are innocuous and generally benign in nature. They also tend to be boring and act as if they stuck in the high school lunch room trying to get a date for prom.

In Star-Crossed they acted as if they were super agents in high school fighting a secret war. Star-Crossed would have been better if they made them older in College. You know they could have set this series in the early 2001-2002 time period and made the characters being shunned Muslim and deal with current issues of ethnic hatred in America today.
More +
Flag
100 is CW worst show of the 13-14 season not of all time or history!! what makes Hart of Dixie, Star-Crossed so much better in quality is very simple u care for characters, on the 100 I simply don't care the only one worth caring for is Octavia, now I don't compare shows on different networks I think CBS had Northern Exposure which I never watched, I didn't start getting in tv shows until 1997 with BUFFY then from their it grew I wont waste time listing them!! so I will not question you that NE is better or not but if it was on CBS I'm sure it was better

OH SIT EMILY OWENS MD CULT RINGER, were worst than the 100
Flag
I have to say when they showed the fleet of alien ships-- I was sad Star-Crossed bought! I wanted to see Aliens Kick Ass!
Flag
I think the writers are trying to reconcile an excellent show which may turn out to be the next big thing since Lost with a silly teenage drama as required by the CW rules and regulations. Finn and Clarke hold hands, closeup of Raven and she sighs. Octavia and Lincoln kiss, closeup of jasper, and he reacts. And then I sigh and barf.

But I'm glad the writing was clever enough to integrate Jasper's jealous streak with the story's outcome, since it was a trigger-happy Jasper that precipitated the events that may have ruptured the last vestiges of Grounder-Hundred unity. But please, no more teen jealousy, please. it's just beneath you, show.

Another thing. What's the deal with American sci-fi and the number 12? 12 colonies that formed the Ark, 12 colonies founded by the people from Kobol in BSG, 12 electric pendants in Revolution... All we need now is a TV show/remake of 12 Angry Men and another one of The Dirty Dozen.

OK, it is confirmed. Diana is definitely a Cylon. I didn't want to believe it, but what more proof do you need? Mr. Gaeta, what do you have to say?

I think the Exodus ship crashed so that only the core characters survive and they get rid of the "dead weight" of extras. My bet: Diana, Abby, and maybe the ginger hothead will survive and that will split the One Hundred. Abby, Clarke, Finn, Raven, Bellamy, Octavia and Jasper will be on one side, and Diana will round up a bunch of Hundred extras and we'll have more internal conflict on the ground. And the Grounders will take advantage of that. And in the end Diana will sell out the One Hundred to get favors from the Grounders.
More+
Flag
Actually, BSG had 12 colonies only because the Thirteenth Tribe was lost hence EARTH! Hebrews had twelve tribes-- than misplaced 10 of them. OOPS!!!!

Flag
Isn't it the same story on this show? Bellamy said that they blew one of the stations (the 13th?) up in a skirmish before deciding to unite into one big station.
Flag
Ok, 12... 13... I'm honestly going out of my mind with that.
Flag
12 signs of the zodiac, 13 Original American colonies... In the end it always comes to that.
Flag
There's actually 13 signs of the zodiac, too. I think the most prominent cause of 13-ism is 13 at the table at the Last Supper.
Flag
13 members in the the quest in the Hobbit. Friday the 13th was a bad day for the Templars.
Flag
"OK, it is confirmed. Diana is definitely a Cylon. I didn't want to believe it, but what more proof do you need? Mr. Gaeta, what do you have to say?"

"So say we all!"
Flag
I'm interested in what Anya said about "others" trying to attack them before, she seemed to indicate that there are others survivors with possibly more advanced technology than the grounders we've met.
Flag
Im on the verge of not watching anymore. I just think its kind of stupid. Time will tell.
Flag
Of course it is stupid--that is what makes it so fun to watch. Each week they do the opposite of sane and than wonder they have problems.
Flag
You would think that if the powers that be wanted to send 100 kids to the planet to survive-- a) they give them some tools for simple survival, b) they would train them for surviving on the planet (i.e. how to manuals for the construction of simple housing structures, simple boats, and possible fortifications better safe than sorry right?), c) navigational aids, d) perhaps, book of edible flora and fauna and finally e) back up communication equipment. Instead they pretend that people would just throw these kids into a space ship send to the ground and say well good luck! That seems like a total waste of resources if you ask me.
Flag
They didn't give them any of those resources...because they couldn't be spared. The whole premise was to get rid of the criminals....with a small glimmer that maybe they will prove that Earth is survivable. But the truth is... if they hadn't killed those 300 some people..THEY WOULD'VE KILLED THOSE KIDS FIRST :) The best case scenario was sending them to Earth in a "Hail Mary"
Flag
Your logic like that of the writer of the source material is not very well developed...If I'm going to kill 100 people why waste things like: Fuel, O2, and a Drop Ship. If you don't have any evidence that Earth is more than a glimmer of hope to survive. How is it you justify the loss of ship that could help save 100 at a later date. You just cannot justify that sort of waste of resources. While you can justify eliminating 400-500 people at this point in the hopes that in 10-20 or maybe 40 years in the future you can send 800-1000 people to the surface to build a community and help build a new society. That is realistic.

This scenario is senseless and stupid. First off all the people on the Ark would have to away to monitor the conditions on the planet. It is necessary to see how the planet is recovering from nuclear exchange that occurred during the war. So, that would mean they would have means to understand the conditions on the ground. You wouldn't send kids down to find out the conditions of the planet and in the process waste a drop ship, fuel, and the O2 in it for the survival of the crew. It is nonsensical.
More +
Flag
If you think they're all gonna die right away from the radiation, sending them any resources at all is a waste.
Flag
TatraFan:

It does seem that they picked the landing site for the 100's drop ship carefully. The Council didn't go into details about how the site was picked (whether they had monitored the weather and radiation levels) but we know the site was chosen because it was near what they thought would be a fully stocked, protected bunker.

They didn't send the kids with supplies because not only did they not have them to spare but their thought was that the 100 would be able to get to that bunker (I think the drop ship was slightly off course when it crashed). The Council did provide the 100 with a map of the area.

If the Ark's faults were fixable, I would agree with your assessment, but the show has made clear that they aren't so all killing the kids in the prison section (without attempting to send them to Earth) would have done is buy every one a little more time before they died because of the Ark's total failure.

Sending down the dropship did use up some fuel and oxygen but they probably figured that was worth it, if the ground was habitable. Chancellor Jaha already knew that they didn't have enough dropships for everyone -- that huge problem remained the same whether they sent the kids down or not.

Also, my understanding is that the Ark's problems seem to center around life support and not so much around fuel. They are producing diminishing amounts of oxygen and water.

Diana's ship, before it left charged itself from the Ark's power supply but the 100's dropship seems to have solar panels (remember the cables Raven used to torture Lincoln?) which may have been what was used to power the 100's dropship. Though it did also have fuel canisters (maybe as boosters) that they used for flares.

Quite a few things about the science in the show don't make much sense:

- I think you've noted that the Ark has strangely limited satellite monitoring capabilities -- able to see the weather but not monitor heat signatures or see images of the ground

- You'd think that water and oxygen production would be part of self-sustaining loops

- It's still not clear to me how the Ark is powered - solar? nuclear? You'd think they would have run out of fossil fuels and have no access to a new reserve, years ago.

But it is what it is.

That aside -- Killing more people on the Ark only buys time which only makes sense in the context of being able to either 1) repair the Ark; which has been firmly established as impossible and will be more so now that Diana has damaged it further and 2) if that time can be used to prepare to go someone else (in this case Earth).

Given that the Ark's problems cannot be fixed, I can see a case for sending down all of the drop ships blindly, packed with as many people as they could hold since whether or not the Earth is survivable everyone on the Ark would die soon anyway, but not for not sending down anyone at all.
More +
Flag
Ummhaniyyah:

I don't think anyone would send a group of kids down to the planet totally blind. It would seem to me that one of the first things these inventive people on the Ark would do is get there hands on a couple of weather Sats and a Spy Sats and combine some of their functions. You need a sat system that can monitor trends in the weather, radiation, and of course give you nice clear images of ground using Synthetic Aperture Radar-- you need to pick save places to land your ships again. Remember, in 97 years nature would reclaim a lot of the ruins of the cities. However, that doesn't mean landing on the ruins of a well built municipal building won't kill people.

This entire idea that these people are just guessing about the conditions on Earth is rather hysterical. They don't have the resources to send kids down to Earth like a bunch of Canaries to see if the planet is safe.

Also, with synthetic aperture radar of today they resolutions much less today than 12 inches. They would be able to pick up the Grounders and see where they are.
More +
Flag
TatraFan -- Because the Ark was dying. You're right, they could have just killed everyone in the prison section, but without the trip to the ground they would have no way of knowing whether Earth was habitable.

The kids wouldn't have to survive for years or even months-- just long enough to let the wrist monitors' data signal that the people on the Ark could evacuate it and live on the planet.
Flag
You have to figure they thought was totally pointless send them to planet-- then they wouldn't waste the drop ship in the first place. If you can only take x amount of people down to the planet any way why make that (X) - 100 people who don't plan on surviving any way? It is better to remove the oxygen from the prison section and declare it system failure and the child died in their sleep. So you figure it has to be better 75%-80% livable at this point or their would be no reason to send any resources to planet. So, if you want to maximize your potential for life on the planet with a 75%-80% chance they need tools.
Flag
Why is the cw network promoting unsafe sex did you all see octavia and lincoln having sex ughh no condoms wtf ,so the ark was a collection of major countries it does not look that diverse lol clark has changed I have never seen a characters development align so perfectly I knew it was going downhill as soon as they discovered the automatic guns.so the culture of the grounders have a woman in charge this is interesting im thinking a royal monoarchy
Flag
Thanks for the good laugh.
Flag
sex .. nasty! Pfft, really, grow up! If you have ever been a teenager (or are indeed, still one) I doubt very much that (in the heat of the moment) they were thinking about contraception. Especially someone as sheltered as Octavia had been.

I do like the idea that they have implants / injections however, which would make sense on the Ark. Maybe it was even in the water (which they wouldn't realise may no longer protect them).
Octavia's Mom may have avoided drinking this perhaps if she had known (easier than getting out of mandatory contraception)
Flag
I just assumed that, with the uber strict reproduction laws on the ark, that all the ark kinds a mandatory contraception implants in them. or else Octavia and Bellamy wouldn't be the only siblings on the entire ark. They'll wear off, eventually, but the strongest of the modern day contraception implants last six months, so they might have a ways to go yet before they have to worry about unplanned pregnancies. I was more worried about venereal disease when it came to Linctavia. On the Ark with such a controlled and small population, it wouldn't be a leap to say they've pretty much eliminated STIs in the population - but the grounders?
Flag
If they are implanted or given injections, which makes sense (as would forced sterilization after you'd had your first child) -- how was Bellamy and Octavia's mother able to get around that?
Flag
Good idea about the contraception...except..they had just discovered Octavia. She in theory shouldn't even have one.
Flag
that's what I was thinking as well

Flag
Octavia had been incarcerated for over a year before she was sent down in the drop ship (it was mentioned in pilot) so I'm guessing one of the first things they did when they caught her was give her a check up and the usual jabs/contraception.
Flag
TatraFan Historically...werent they being subsevient to a creator they did not have a choice as for your ascetic comment I am an agnositc lol
Flag
Women are subservient to a creator? I think at first it happened because guess what if you don't do your part in a small subsistence living operation you don't get to take time off to take care of the baby only. You have to take care of the baby while you work or you just don't eat.

Flag
many cultures woman are subservient to men
Flag
You know, I didn't actually see Octavia and Lincoln having sex because that would be porn. So I didn't see if his junk was covered or not.

Obviously all the latex condoms on earth would be expired. However there are a number of alternative options used throughout the centuries prior to invention of the modern condom.

I would think presenting the viewers of the show with a range of makeshift condom ideas would promote kids to believe they do not need to use real condoms.

Disclaimer - I do not think teens would go and slaughter an animal rinse out its intestines and have sex using it as a condom just because they saw it on a CW show. Or as suggest below, use a tent as a condom... That one sounds incredibly painful for everyone involved.
Flag
It's set in the future, on a ship with rigid reproduction laws so obviously all the women would be implanted with contraceptives from a young age and inoculated against STDs.
Flag
Ship?have you watched the show? the women are not implanted with contraceptives or octavia would not have been born but that is a good idea this show is supposed to be in the future yet they have the same technology
Flag
Sorry, meant station. I just think population control would be a massive issue on the Ark, considering their circumstances, so a lot of focus would have gone on that. And contraceptives slip up. I think it's more that Octavia's mother managed to carry full-term that was shocking, since I imagine breaking the one child law would result in State ordered abortion.
Flag
How would they come up with that technology? All they have is what was on their ships when the Earth went nuclear. Have you seen their clothing?
Flag
so Octavia took her shirt off why Lincoln could just see them? It was implied lol
Flag
It was absolutely implied, they had sex. There is no doubt about that. however we didn't see the entire act, the fact there was no Implication of protection, does not mean they went without it.
Flag
Except for the fact they live in a world where latex condoms are not exactly around the corner and they didn't seem to bring any hormone injections with them either.
Flag
Yes but it could be suggestive to young peeps oh well I just looked at the ratings demo and it is 18-49 so I dont know haha I guess I was just hypersensitive because i just watched the Americans on FX and Clark hands Martha the condom to throw after they were done having sex I just thought that was authentic and the writers were meticulous
Flag
By them? I presume you are speaking of those glorious mammalian evolutionary adaptations we call breasts. Those wells of life giving sustenance that sustain our humanity during our nascent stages of life... That provide endless wonder to out erotic fantasies? If those are the them you refer to than I know not what you speak of in that scene!
Flag
Personally, we didn't see enough of Marie's glorious mammalian protuberances!

Flag
You are correct your this time
Flag
I was just saying that at least making Lamp Skin Condoms is possible-- hell you can buy them on Amazon.com. I didn't say they would do it. I just said I would believe that scenario long before kid puts a nylon tent on his Boppin' Bishop...

And what is wrong with a little Adult Material?
Flag
I'm sure if the CW showed more adult material it would be easier to get my husband to watch it with me.
Flag
I'm sorry to hear that.
Flag
Where do you condoms in a post civilization future?
Flag
Flag
they could have cut a piece of fabric to create a barrier sir
Flag
They would still get pregnant among other things. Latex is better but it isn't 100%. Only thing that does prevent pregnancy 100% is abstinence. See my comment below on latex. If steel wouldn't survive the conditions on Earth latex definitely wouldn't either. These people have never swam in water, never seen animals like horses. Did you miss where Clarke comments about the horse on Unity Day that Anya rode? Forgive if that's not correctly spelled. I too make my share of mistakes.
Flag
TatraFan - I'm not Catholic and acknowledge that neither of the methods I mentioned are good for teenagers if there are other choices.

Pulling out: If there is sperm in the pre-ejaculate, as there often is, this can be a fail.

Planning around the woman's cycle: Requires a regular cycle - something teenage girls often don't have and probably wouldn' t have given the stress of their lives in this show and lack of basics like food; being able to track it and abstain during the ovulation window.

It's just weird for none of them to be concerned about it. You'd think the last thing you'd want in their situation is a baby.
Flag
steel would not survive what? they have guns haha
Flag
Ummhaniyyah I think the Billion Catholics in the world can attest to the fact that the Rhythm method is highly flawed... And Pulling out is way too hard for a teenage male to do actually even contemplate-- trust me on this one. Sure you think you can pull out but than you get lost in the moment and ooops you creampied your girlfriend... Not mention what about Onanism? You wouldn't want some poor teenager's soul damn to hell for spilling his seed on the ground? Remember how that turned for Onan?
Flag
There's always withdrawal and rhythm method, though I can't seriously believe any of that was going on.

Octavia could already be pregnant anyway since she had sex with Atom.

Then there is Bellamy with his threesome. In real life there would be a whole lot of babies soon enough.
Flag
I think Rape doesn't fall under abstinence since one person wasn't actually obeying the wishes of the other. How isn't abstinence 100% effective if everyone agrees to that policy? I'm not a Phd in biology but I'm pretty sure unless one person is putting his sperm into a turkey baster-- and some other person putting said baster into vagina there is little hope of a child to be born if no one is having sex with each other. And in my example yes, they may abstain from tradition human sexual procreation practices in favor of artificial insemination it is hard to say that this wasn't some sort of way of dodging an abstinence policy. Clearly, anyone doing this understands enough about biology to circumvent the no-sex rule in question. So, I think we can say that as long as people agree to not have sex or knowingly artificially inseminate each other-- there is no way a consensul act of sex or birth take place in this society.
Flag
First off, abstinence isn't 100%, and babies can be conceived of rape. Secondly, there IS something that has a better success rate: surgical excision of the reproductive organs.
Flag
Well they might not have seen a horse but supposedly they have a database on the ark and have been using to teach the kids earth survival skills. Which doesn't include building a log cabin apparently.

Well, yes latex isn't 100%. But it is better than using an old sock or using the intestine of lamb. Myself, I say wing it they need the population any way!
Flag
Sure, they could do that and they have how much cloth to waste on crappy wannabe condoms?
Flag
It would have been better to say they could use the intestines of the small critters they kill for condom material. Like Lamb Skin Condoms. However, the neither one of these options would stop viruses or bacterial infections but they would stop sperm.
Flag
look at the tents they have and they could reuse it rinse in water get creatvie
Flag
DICHEN LACHMAN in charge no problems here!! but great great point on unsafe sex!!
Flag
I think all they need to do is get Lachman some nerd lovin'...

Flag
Whoa I am not a misogynist i am a feminist you have quickly concluded that I am a misogynist just because I was being pragmatic I think the women would be limited in their contributions WHILE pregnant geez
Flag
You're theories are wrong... Historically speaking women have worked through out the ages while pregnant.
Flag
Hey wait a min hold up. Don't be hatin on nerd love. That's the good stuff right there!
Flag
Hey I'm not saying anything against Nerd Lovin'-- I just wish the clip had the line-- "Hey, this is so bad--- He's a sailor we get him laid and were fine..."
Flag
Why worry about catching a disease that may kill you several years in the future when there are plenty of ways to die in the here and now?
Flag
not just diseases but having a kid that would make all the women unproductive for nine months and then when the babies are born that would create a new set of problems but perhaps the women wouldnt mind killing their babies
Flag
Why do you believe that pregnant woman are unproductive? In fact the "nesting" urge woman feel during pregnancy would probably be incredibly helpful for a burgeoning civilisation.

But I'm not too sure how "all the women" got pregnant. And then as a group they decide to commit infanticide...
Flag
the pregnancy could perhaps have unforeseen consequences since they have not been on earth before what I meant by unproductive was hunting and gathering resources but they could serve the other people food or make stuff I suppose and talk with the arc
Flag
I've come to the conclusion that Jacobwrith984 is a misogynist myself. And perhaps a total ascetic as well. So I wouldn't take his comments seriously.

To claim that pregnant women aren't productive is nonsense. Just look at any agrarian society in the world today... Women who are pregnant are very productive.
Flag
Perhaps they still have calendars in the future, and Octavia can count to 30?
Flag
Uhmmm where in 100years of the planet being destroyed were they supposed to get latex? Not saying they were right to do it I'm saving that the show wouldn't make sense when cars and metal was rusted and look how convenient to find a 100yr old 12pac of Trojans right by Lincoln's bed on the night stand! Seriously? You really thought that would happen?
Flag
The Art Supply store.
Flag
fabrics condoms dont have to be latex ugh
Flag
Fabric? You are definitely not female
Flag
I know how the body works I think the pleasure would mitigate the pain lol
Flag
Someone else suggested the material they use for their tents. Eeeek!!!

Re abstinence there is also forgoing penetration and using hands and mouths.
Flag
that's what i was thinking!!! these people have been having sex from about the day they got to the ground- did they bring protection with them??? it could only be a matter of time before one of them gets pregnant or worse catches something!!! (remember Bellamy and his multiple partners- my guess is that things are a lot more contractable when you have less than 100 possible partner; and thats not even considering their sexual preferences).
Flag
How could they possibly catch something? There would not have been any STD's on the arc. It's population is too small and it had very strict medical rules. Really it's even unlikely that the grounders would have STD's. Less tech and control but still tiny populations.
Flag
Depends on which STDs -- human papilloma virus that causes genital warts is pretty ubiquitous and a lot of people carry it around asymptomatically. Yeast infections are also pretty common and can be transmitted between partners.
Flag
Haha, nice point. Hadn't even though of that. But, it makes you think about what kind of contraception they had implemented in The Ark in the first place, their resources are limited after all.
Flag
Apparently, they used the airlock method of birth control.
Maybe, they just have super-immune systems from future medicine technology. After all, none of them have been sick since they landed. Disease decimated the first English settlements on North America, and STDs plus smallpox ravaged the native populations.
Flag
What I found the most interesting was Grounder Princess saying that Clarke and Co weren't the first enemies that had tried to eradicate her people and the reference to the thirteenth ark, is it possible that it didn't explode and is still floating around somewhere? Possibly thinking too much into it.
Also, Jasper should not have been allowed to handle bullets after consuming that much moonshine, or be a backup guard for negotiations.
I really hope we get to see the Grounders society- I reckon that will be fascinating and also to figure out who Lincoln is exactly that he can warn the 100 and get away with helping the Grounder's 'enemy'
Flag
A 13th space station still existing? I can see that happening if they want to follow the template of Hunger Games and all that District stuff.
Flag
can you explain what thirteen ark you are talking about?
Flag
Finn mentioned the 13th space station at the beginning of the episode when he was talking to Clarke about the history of Unity Day.
Flag
Finn mentioned there was a 13th station that was blown up because they started a war.
Flag
I am probably mistaken but I think the twelve space stations joined after the thirteenth was blown out of the sky but why mention the thirteenth at all?
Flag
The possibility that the 13th station wasn't destroyed in space, but rather, landed colonists dirtside.
Flag
I think Jasper really screwed them. He shot first.

Clarke also has no authority once the adults get to the ground so I can understand that she and the 100 would like peace, but she was being realistic enough to know that she would probably just be ignored.
Flag
well the deal was no weapons, even though Clarke told Bellamy, Jasper and Raven join, Anya guards had weapons plus their was at least four grounders in the Trees plus Anya was packed so IMO THE GROUNDERS had no attention of keeping the peace, plus @ZeroCals made a very good point they speared Jasper first

****CLARKE will be in charge regardless nobody will survive that crash landing and rest of the Ark has no way to get down since when to pod tore itself for the Ark it did a shit load of damage at least that is how I understood it!!
Flag
I hate to say this but-- the kids have the guns-- so as Mao said "All Political Power Grows From The Barrel Of A Gun..." So really who has the power on Earth? The Kids. They can restructure the society any way they damn well please because they the fire power to make their political ambitions real.
Flag
There's guns in space, too. Bellamy shot the chancellor on the Ark. And those guns are less likely to jam and more likely to have good ammo., plus be handled by people who know how to use them.

... when or if they show up, that is.
Flag
Where do you practice shooting in space? How many guns could they have in Space??? Think about you have x amount of mass you can lift into space with a rocket. Do you think if you're leaving Earth after nuclear war you're going to put guns and ammo on it or food, supplies, and tools? What is more important to you in the immediate future? I think food, water, repair supplies for the stations.

Also why are those guns less likely to jam? Have you ever shot a gun?

The guns in space handled by the same inexperienced people as on the ground. The only difference is that on the ground they can practice and become better with them. Finally, they also can control the engagements by knowing the terrain and how to use it their advantage. In short if you know the drop ship is coming down you can surround it and take everyone prisoner as they attempt to leave the drop ship.
Flag
I think the Grounders screwed themselves when they speared Jasper in the pilot... which was waaaaaaaay before the 100 launched any missiles (resulting in the accidental burning of a village), let alone Jasper going into a full blown PTSD shooting spree (that's how I see his actions at the end of this episode). They were the initial aggressors, and anything that has happened after the fact has been because of their initial attack on the 100.

Also, even if the 100 burned that village to the ground intentionally (which they didn't), did the Grounders think they could get away with spearing a member of the 100, and leaving him for wild animals, without instigating a violent response?

I think the writers are doing a shoddy job of making the Grounders seem sympathetic. Also, the whole Octavia&Lincoln thing is kind of disgusting to me. Dude looks like he's 25-30 and she's 16-17. Not to mention it's her falling in love with her kidnapper...
Flag
Dude he is a year younger than my brother so good guess but you gave him too much credit. The actor Ricky Whittle aka "Lincoln" is 33 and Marie imnotgointoattemptherlastname (I have a bad short term memory loss problem and will misspell it wrong) aka "Octavia" her badass self is about to be 28. Any female you say is 10yrs younger than she really is should kiss you and thank you from the bottom of her heart.
Flag
Haha. Dang. That's some interesting info. I mean, I usually assume actors and actresses portraying young people are at least 5-10 years older than their characters, but it's nice to know their actual ages.

I guess the problem I have is that the guy playing Lincoln looks pretty close to 33; whereas, the actress playing Octavia looks closer to her character's age... which has to be under 18 (because she would've been "floated" otherwise, since her existence was a crime in and of itself on the Ark).
Flag
You're assuming that the spearing was condoned by the entirety of the grounders; it might have been done by a panicked individual, or someone who had orders "nobody crosses the river" but those orders were only intended to apply to other grounders (who knew that the river was a boundary) and surprise! the orders didn't include "unless they're kids from space" because nobody had a plan for that.
Flag
You make a valid point. However, if seems like the Grounders have been aware of the kids for a while now. If they really wanted peace, they probably could have initiated some kind of contact between their respective parties in between the time period of Jasper's spearing and the 100's accidental flare attack.

I don't know. I just really feel like the Grounders have been the aggressors in this whole situation, and that this surprise news that the 100 somehow burned down a village is the writers pulling anything they can out of their asses to make the Grounders seem more sympathetic (when there are probably way better/easy ways to do that).
Flag
Nope, the show runner has said in interviews that the 100 have unwittingly done a number of things that to the Grounders seem like aggression and that there is a reason why the grounders are as militarized as they are -- that they are already used to being at war.

The writers have written in a bunch of things that the 100 have done that seen from the Grounder side wouldn't make you want to reach out to them. I think we also shouldn't underestimate how freaky a spaceship landing with "aliens" might be for the Grounders.
Flag
sotckholm syndrome duh she is accustomed to a man taking care of her bellamy
Flag
That's immediately what popped into my mind, but the writers are playing it off like it's some kind of epic, "forbidden love" romance. Whereas, to me at least, it's disgusting.

Whenever I see someone (not you) talk about them being cute together, I want to say this to them:
Imagine if someone, who is part of a group of people that you've had bad (understatement) experiences with already, found you in an incredibly vulnerable moment. They end up taking you back to their place, where they lock you up. You escape, only to witness said person's companions murdering people you know. The person saves you, but then immediately takes you back to his place and locks you up for God knows what. Then, when people you know show up to save you, the person stabs one of your companions. You get back to your "home", but any attempts to save your companion are met with futility because the person who stabbed him poisoned his weapon... and won't explain what they used. Torture ensues, and nothing is gained. You then poison yourself, with the same weapon, and immediately get an answer from the attacker... because that's how obsessed they are with you, who they've only just met face-to-face.

So, at what point in all of that do you fall in love with the person? Does the fact that the person is attractive change the stalker-ish/rapey aspect of everything that's already happened?

I legitimately want to ask all the Lincoln&Octavia shippers that.
More +
Flag
hmm no responses It is sort of like those disney classics where the women are told that all women are to aspire for a man to be happy I really hate that and most women today think that because that is how they were subconsciously influenced to think they need a man to be happy and that is the women's only purpose to find a man to take care of her
Flag
She's been in Jail on her own for some time.
Flag
Good point about having more sympathy for the grounders. Clarke annoyed me again this week so by the time they started the conversation, I was more concerned for Lincoln and Octavia. Great episode though :)
Flag
I really liked this episode much better than the last one with teenagers mostly hallucinating.

I liked it that the 100 showed us how difficult it is for two sides to trust each other and to have a peace treaty. So many examples of that in our real world. To bring it into this show and make it so real is a job well done.

I liked it that Diana called Jaha out that he was still NOT telling people the whole truth.

This show dare to move their stories on instead of going in circles. Well done !

I am still not sure if what Jasper saw was true that he had enough reason to fire the first shot or was he still hallucinating ?

So nobody die on the ground this week? Are we still counting? Is it still 90?
Flag
I thought Diana only called Jaha out on not telling everyone to get them to stop jamming the door.

The reality is that she's known about this plan from the time she was Chancellor at least and didn't tell the people.

You've got to wonder at her motives as well in that not only did she not tell the common people but she knows that powering up the drop ship quickly will put regular ppl's lives at risk, she knows that it is still coupled to the ship and so leaving will rip a hole in the Ark and kill a lot of those people, but she doesn't care.

She also told her henchmen after the Unity Day bombing that since Jaha wasn't dead that they probably should have built a bigger bomb (which would have meant the death of many more people).

So, she doesn't seem like a hero to me.
Flag
I definitely mean to say Diane is a hero. She is our main villain now. Sorry if you misunderstood me. I just like it that she is a smart enough villain to call out Jaha at the right time. Fact is Jaha still chose to lie to the people right after he make a speech about not lying. It is difficult for him to be chancellor, I appreciate that. I liked smart villains.

All the people on the drop ship are just as selfish as Diane. They all agree with her plan.

Flag
I want to know what those nuts really were. Like are they super sized poppy seeds for example? It would make perfect sense but they should stock up for those injured.
Flag
This show is a guilty pleasure, and this episode a little more fun than most of the others.
Flag
"That feels awfully sudden, but if we look at things from Octavia's point of view, it certainly makes sense that she would be impulsive in her decision-making. I mean, wouldn't you want to live a little if you'd spent so much time locked up, either under the floor or in a cell with only your mother and brother for company?"

Um... No? I would be a underconfident outcast who doesn't know how to talk to people because I've never been able to practice my social skills... People would scare me because I've been told my entire life that they would hurt me if they found out I was alive, and when they found out, they proved that to be true... I'd hide a lot, be an introvert, and definitely not trust random strangers I meet on a toxic planet.

Octomom is one of the worst conceived characters I've ever seen. Did the writers do ZERO research into what prolonged isolation does to a person? It's borderline insulting.
Flag
Agreed. Octavia is the character that I can't stand the most, followed closely by Finn.
Flag
I'm so happy the show is being covered by tv.com again. It's the only CW show (except maybe Reign) that keeps me thinking more than five minutes after I watch it. I also appreciate how you kept the discussion of the love triangle nonsense to a minimum.
-You are completely right about Diana's motives. Since we met her, she has done all but scream "I WILL OVERTHROW YOU" at Chancellor Jaha's face. I don't understand why anything she did in this episode was a surprise to these people.
-Dichen Lachman was great in the few moments we saw her. I totally agree- five minutes of dialogue with the grounders and I was reconsidering the way I'd thought of the whole structure of the show.
-Speaking of Dichen Lachman and her greatness, I also really like how evenly this show attempts to balance the power and abilities between both genders: Jaha, Abby, Bellamy, Clarke, Raven, Diana, Kane e.t.c. It feels almost like a show that cast these characters gender-blind sometimes, and that is awesome. The only thing that still frustrates me is the lack of minorities that aren't just place holders (like Monty and those black kids we showed that time, remember), but that's a whole different story. I know the show does have some diversity (Jaha, Raven, Lincoln (?), Bellamy is half Filipino I believe), but I forget this sometimes.
-I'm impressed with how they've handled Clarke's character. Raven is also a very good character, when not bringing up the love triangle no one wants. I'm impressed with the actress. I generally think the young people have been handled much better than I originally expected. Bob Morley has impressed me as Bellamy- appropriately charismatic, but able to portray his internal struggles. But this is why I feel very sad about characters that have ultimately failed for me: Octavia and Finn. Octavia started off as just fanservice, but then it seemed they were revealing more intriguing layers to her, but now I'm not sure. I know, I know, because of the way she was raised, she has to be immature about relationships, but even knowing that, I haven't been too impressed with her these last few episodes. The star crossed (ugh) love story would have been tolerable for me if done well, but it wasn't. Also, once he started to speak English, I realized that that Lincoln actor is not great. Finn has actually gotten better as a character for me, and his conviction (although he was wrong) in this episode was admirable, but he's still the worst.
More+
Flag
I agree about Octavia & Finn being the least interesting. When I saw Octavia in the pilot I thought she would be an active group member. She is more like a side character that they use to transition between scenes of importance. Maybe it would help if her character had more interaction with the girls--Clarke & Raven. Most of Octavia's scenes have been with guys(Atom, Jasper, Monty, Bellamy, Bellamy's minions and now Lincoln).

Finn does seem to be getting better. In the beginning he reluctantly tagged along with Clarke on her missions. Now he makes missions of his own...like the peace plan in this episode. The only thing that still bugs me about Finn's development is the actor. I'm beginning to think he doesn't get a lot of lines because his acting isn't very good. There were scenes in this episode where his line delivery felt like he was trying to recite the lines from his head. He's way too stiff and expressionless when he acts.
Flag
100% agree.
I really like what you said about Octavia needing more exchanges with other girls. I mean, I guess it's consistent with her character to prefer hanging out with boys, which is fine, but it wouldn't hurt at all for her to develop a normal, healthy female friendship or two.
Flag
Octavia's relationships are so creepy, when you think them through. She has a love/hate relationship with her brother, who helped their mother lock her under the floor (for her own good, but still). Then she met Atom, whose job it was to keep her restrained/confined to camp grounds, and made out with him asap. Then she met the Grounder, who saved her before chaining her to a cave wall, and she's already sleeping with him. GET THE GIRL SOME PSYCH ASSISTANCE!
Flag
I don't think Finn was wrong in this ep. True the Grounders brought back-up soldiers, but so did Clarke and co. It's pretty common to have negotiations like that with respective security present. It's not like when Israel and the Palestinians or Sinn Fein and the UK government meet they do so without armed security. Anyway, Jasper fired the first shot.

The actor who plays Lincoln has had very few lines and he's playing a character who is conflicted in this situation and the strong, silent type anyway, so I feel like I don't have much to judge him on.

I agree with you about seeing more POC - though I suppose they could have cast Anya as white but didn't. I'd add Miller to your POC list - he really doesn't get many lines but he's been a constant presence these past few eps.

I don't really mind what we've seen of the Octavia-Lincoln romance. As in, it's one-dimensional/hormone-fueled trysting in a situation that you'd think would demand more. I know that if Lincoln were suddenly my man, I would have lots of questions to ask him about EVERYTHING. Octavia doesn't seem the least bit curious. And we haven't had them talk about what it is they are doing and/or their future together.

Were I Octavia I would probably go to live with Lincoln. He knows what he's doing, can find food and my chances of surviving the winter and maybe living a freer life out from under the thumb of my brother and the Ark people who will be coming to Earth and bringing their rules, are higher.

I like what you had to say about how the show has handled gender.
More +
Flag
You're right about the omission of Miller. In retrospect, actually, I don't think the show has done a bad job on diversifying its cast. It's better than a number of CW shows. I think I was maybe just still smarting from Wells, since he's such a significant character in the books.
Flag
The complaint that television doesn't have enough minorities is a complex one. There's a bit of a self-reinforcing feedback loop in play... minorities aren't cast very often because there aren't very many minority character actors, and minorities don't pursue acting because there aren't very many roles for them.

The complaint is that TV shows about white people living in America appear in a "television America" with not very many minorities in it, which doesn't match the real America, which has got plenty of minorities, with more arriving every day.

In a SF show, however, that complaint doesn't apply as much. The survivors of the Ark are made up of NOT America, but America's space program (and other space programs, of course). Space programs are dominated by Americans and Europeans. China's just now getting into the game, 40 years after America stopped going to the moon. Look at the space program's history: How many of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo astronauts were minorities? Right up until the shuttle orbiters were decommissioned, what was the ratio of female:male astronauts? Of whites to non-whites?
Flag
I rewatched the episode with subtitles. That little girl in the beginning did mention the names of 2 space stations before the bomb went off. She said "Mir floated by Shezhen". Mir is a defunct Russian space station so I assume the Russians may have built a new one? And Shezhen would imply the Chinese succeeded with a station in space. At the very least this show should have more Russians and Chinese on the Ark. I'm also disappointed there's no robots in space! In the future they should have a life size version of Kirobo(the Japanese robot astronaut). :)
Flag
It actually isn't true that there is a dearth of POC actors.

In this case, I don't think the casting has to conform to look like some accurate reflection of the current space program (though I'll add that re the US, NASA hires a diverse pool of scientists with many women and POC among them - even the JEL isn't just for white males anymore) .

In some shows, the actors' race/ethnicity may have to be strictly defined (as in a period drama set in the middle ages in the northern Scotland), but here I would think that it would be fine to make the cast diverse, like the viewership.
Flag
When the grounder leader came out I thought, wait a minute I know who that is... glad to know it was Dichen Lachman. I really liked her on Dollhouse, and I hope we get to see much more of her on The 100. I am so glad they didn't make the grounders ignorant savages. They are much more interesting than I expected them to be.

I had a feeling Diana was behind Jaha's assassination attempt. Now she's responsible for lots more death. I hope her allies take a good look at her.

Flag
You feel that Diana was behind it... Did you miss the episode before last night? She is absolutely behind both attempts on Jaha's life... You should check out the episodes on the CW because they didn't hide anything about Diana being the mastermind behind both assassination attempts. The only mystery is what exactly is Diana's end game.
Flag
What? I sad "I had a feeling" (past tense) she was behind it, meaning to imply that my feeling occurred before they made it clear. I've seen all the episodes...
Flag
They made it clear in the first episode they showed her that she was the one behind the attempts.
Flag
Okay, I disagree that they made it clear on her first appearance, but it's alright with me if you think so. They made her seem suspicious right off the bat, which is why I said "I had a feeling". We didn't have a review last week to discuss it, so I was acknowledging that my feeling turned out to be correct. Is that alright? I'm not sure what you're after here.

Flag
its not going to matter, anybody on that pod is dead, came in way too fast, faster than FLASH SUPERMAN etc plus the parachute did not deploy!!!
Flag
What they saw fall could be the section of the Ark they showed breaking off when the drop ship ripped away from the Ark.
Flag
not very likely. yes the pod ripped away from the ark and pieces were broken away, but the pod had a rockets or what ever had a head start and was already going down none of the potential pieces were head down, granted their is shot in the dark , but not very likely, even Clarke knows it was the pod!!
Flag
Wouldn't it be funny if the space ship that forgot to break, landed exactly in the middle of the Grounders camp, killing most of them leaving the survivors to start hunting The less-than-hundred?

Oh, can someone explain to me that taking the ship by force is so much better than not telling the people not everyone is going to fit on it?
Flag
The fun thing is... that apparently, the drop ship was not full (only some of Diana's people). So not only was taking the ship not better than not telling the people it also caused them to have even less space for the remaining people. Not that she'd care... she KNEW the ship was still connected when they launched and that that would take out half the station. That makes Diana the biggest bad on the show.

However from the size of that explosion when the dropship "forgot" to break I'd figure that no one survived that crash. The trailer for next week did not show anything about them anymore.

But you're right about one thing: It would be pretty funny if the dropship happened to smash into another grounder settlement. ;-)
Flag
Yep. Also either Jaha or Kane asked her "Is this how you want to be remembered?" and she said "I won't be remembered at all." Which I took to mean that the rest of them wouldn't be alive to remember her.

They need to give us some kind of backstory on Diana and her people because right now other than just being stereotypically evil, I just don't get the depth of her motivations.
Flag
I do wish Clarks mom somehow survived the crash. I wonder if Clark is going to take a look.
I would like that anyway, instead of sticking on to one place, they should start traveling to see if they can find a better place to stay. Maybe some old town or city. All kind of adventures can happen then.
Flag
Yes, more forest trekking adventures please. I would be surprised if Clarke didn't make an attempt to visit the crash site. She's usually the first one to suggest these types of things.
Flag
They're not evil. They're the people that have gotten the short end of the stick for the last 97 years. If only 1/3 of the people on the Ark could be taken to the ground, they decided not to let someone else decide if it would be them.

(Imagine 97 years of "OK, we need someone to be boss of the station, and we need someone to be down in the sewage tanks making sure they work correctly. Guess which job YOU get?")
Flag
Hmm, but it seems more selective than that. It's not like they gathered up all the working class people on the Ark.

Diana only took her followers -- leaving lots of empty seats that could have been filled on the drop ship and presumably meaning the deaths of many other ordinary folks she left behind on the Ark.
Flag

Kaitlin, I missed you last week, prayed you didn’t give up on reviewing this show and I was so happy to see this post. Thank you.

I liked the episode; I almost fell out of my chair from fright and shock when that explosion happened.

Diana really doesn’t care about anyone but her ‘people’ does she, she killed innocent kids. She just led more than 1800 people to their dead by taking that ship and she only took with her 50 people. Somehow I expected Abby to do more, something better than just that pressure thing. And I agree with the others who commented before me, that crash was a peace of the Ark and not the ship it would however have been poetic justice if it was Diana.

For some reason I don’t trust Clarks drinking buddies.

The conversation Finn and Clark had at the beginning was nice, felt like a couple of friends talking but it couldn’t last. Just when I thought the awkward tension was left behind, we get the close talking, the looks to Raven, the let me see your wound. Stop that already, we don’t need more friction.

The flower trail was kind of sweet. And Lincoln did live in a nice cave, good set-up, close by for easy acces, no noisy neighbours and surprisingly well lid.

Smiled when Lincoln said, ‘not him’ about the leader. He knows who’s got the power.

Loved Jasper drunk, he had his flirt on. My hart did break for him when he saw the grounder and Octavia, nice reactions from the two others too. Don’t get why the Grounders didn’t see them, Raven’s jacket isn’t the best for hiding. After they got back from the Grounder meeting my hart broke again, Octavia no need to get angry with Jasper, he had a right to shoot cause those grounders don’t miss unmoving targets (and to me, they were taking aim to fire). And then Finn told Clark ‘you had to trust me’ seriously? Clark should have called him out on trusting the boy who cheated on his girlfriend cause I sure as hell would have. If you look at it differently trusting Finn wouldn’t have helped them, he’s got no say over the Grounders. His trust was worth nothing cause they had weapons in plain sight and hidden ones to.

Prediction: There will be a peace, between the 100 and the grounders ones they take on Diana and her people together.

Why do you need them for?

Your boyfriends being an idiot.

And Raven hands over a stack of bullets. Without further questioning ha.

Next week looks awesome.

More+
Flag
Man, am I glad this show got a second season and you reviewed this baby again Kaitlin. I agree, The 100 is not about the usual C-dubs stuff (though Raven as a scorned lover is starting to bother me a bit, which I really dislike, because she was so awesome when we first met her).

Giving the Grounders an awesome warrior princess who does not shy away from telling Clarke what's what makes me very happy. I am all for getting two sides of the story. Also, hopefully Bellamy will think twice about handing out guns to just everyone next time. Poor Jasper. Those Grounders really got to him (and understandably so).

Next week's promo looks very intense. Is anyone else seeing parallels between the 100 arriving on earth and the settlers arriving in America? (Okay I might be reading too much into this.)
Flag
lol the Indians vs the Settlers correlation is getting annoying tbh. Stop rehashing old shit CW
Flag
I'm assuming it wasn't the drop ship that Bellamy and Clarke saw crash, it was more likely a bit of the ark that came off when the drop ship tried to launch.

I really hope that the drop ship lands safely, or relatively safely, because I LOVE the idea of the people who arrive not being the help that the kids were expecting. Instead it's a ship full of mutineers who have a very different agenda to Jaha and co.

I loved getting to know more about the Grounders too. Obviously there's something else down there that the Grounders have fought with before. They're not afraid of the Hundred, or their weapons and seem quite happy to carry on as they are.

Really glad this got renewed. Best new show I've seen on any network this year. True story.
Flag
Of course, since the ship dropped early, it was over the wrong piece of dirt, and came down thousands of miles away. At least, that's how it works when physics apply.
Flag
I do all my best dating when I kidnap my girlfriends and hold them against their will... You know it really is the secret to dating I've found-- that and AdultFriendFinder.Com... I actually watched that scene twice this morning at 3:30am (thanks to a Baseball game I could careless about I was forced to watch in the wee hours of the morning) once straight-- and then once with some material juxtaposed against of the adult nature-- and it oddly was pretty much a PG-Rated Adult Scene.

The only thing that would have make it funnier--

I'll forgive you for holding me hostage once you give me a little lovin'!

Flag
I thought it was funny actually because so far there has just been one sex scene on the show repeated with different couples, I think three times now. It always involves the woman taking off her shirt while astride the man.
Flag
I think Finn was on top with Clark, the first time (and ironically that's the only coupling that was later viewed as a "mistake").
Flag
Maybe they just think Cowgirl is sexy like they do in the adult industry! Also I think the writers feel that if they use this position it makes seem like the woman is in charge of the sexual encounter and instead of being dominated by a male figure. So, it is sort "oh, look we're showing strong women... see she took charge of that bronco and rode him until gave up..." However, if watch the full encounter and build up you will see things like "stalking" and "kidnapping" as the means by which our female lead ends up in the arms of male co-star.
Flag
If the girl's on top, you can shoot a good picture of her in her bra. If the guy's on top, he gets in the way of shooting a good picture of her in her bra. It's as simple as that. What's the point of hiring a good-looking cast if you can't take lots of pictures of them as close to naked as the broadcast standards will allow?
Flag
While it is true that you can get a good bra shoot. I'm seriously doubting that her bra was the only issue... Since you could get good bra show from behind, sideways and few other positions. I think sincerely since I'm actually working on a MFA in film-- that filmmakers sincere believe that it seems less exploitative to the audience to have the female intiate the sexual encounter.
Flag
I think that scene between Octavia and Lincoln alone set women's lib back 150 years!

This is how the romance between Octavia and Lincoln started out:

and this is how it is ending up:

And to think they already killed on Romeo and Juliet rip off this season will the CW get to axe another one next season????

Perhaps his what they need to look for in season 2:

I'd dig it more...
Flag
So you are truly disgusted by the Lincoln-Octavia storyline because of the "stalking" and "kidnapping?" Not that I condone or like "stalking" and "kidnapping" but given that the Grounders consider themselves at war he couldn't have introduced himself and in the ep, it seemed that he grabbed her first because she was wounded and he could help and the second time round because she was unwittingly walking into a battlefield. Given that he spoke English he could have/should have communicated his intentions better -- but the writers used his not talking to heighten the mystery and drama around his character.

If the setting for the show were different, the progression of the relationship would annoy me, as well.
Flag
Flag
I was frustrated with this episode. Maybe because it was so depressing, with all of the characters now headed off to very bad places.

Also, too because there was so much stupidity that ended in people's deaths. On the ground, a lot of it maybe could be chalked up to the fact that our main characters are teenagers, but that didn't make it any less frustrating.

Team Ground essentially lost their chance at peace with the Grounders because Jasper was drunk and jealousy and mistrust were everywhere on the Ark refugee side.

I really liked Finn in this ep, as he was really mature in being able to see past any anger or mistrust he might direct at Lincoln to what would need to be done to secure peace. Too bad none of the others could.

I'm beginning to dislike Clarke, who was my favorite character, at this point because she has let her feelings about Finn cloud her judgement as it relates to what should be done for the community.

I was afraid that if she did end up with Bellamy that it would compromise her. Now I see that even though nothing physical has yet happened between them that she's morphing into Bellamy, which I think is a big problem for all of the kids on the ground.

I'm not a Bellamy hater, but with Clarke taking on his views, there is no longer any balanced leadership.

As we were treated to Octavia getting it on with Lincoln I kept asking if she's taken the time to ask him about his life and world. She's the person amongst the 100 most poised to essentially learn more about their situation. But it's Octavia, so I don't hold out much hope.

I was really saddened by Abby's apparent death and what must be a dire situation on the Ark.

I still don't fully grasp Diana's motivations. My guesses: 1) Class resentment and mistrust and 2) her own desire for power. Given that they haven't given her much of a back story those reasons don't seem sufficient enough to leave thousands of people behind on a crippled Ark to die.

More+
Flag
I will admit that Clarke is starting to lose some of the qualities that made her an impressive leader early on. Her strained relationship with Finn and her growing camaraderie with Bellamy are having a negative effect onher decisions. But I also believe the impending arrival of the Ark leaders was affecting her too. She knows her leadership role is now limited...that she is basically in a place-holder position until the real big shots arrive. That is why her negotiations with Anya were going south, because she didn't have the power to promise anything of substance. I think that was also a reason why she was angry with Finn. Finn made this hasty arrangement directly involving her without any prior discussion or prep time. It's no wonder things blew up. It would have been better if the camp team got on the same page before meeting up with the Grounders.

With the Ark disabled/dying and the Exodus ship in limbo, I think Clarke will probably regain her old form leadership-wise. When she finds out nobody is coming to help them her survival instincts and quick thinking will hopefully kick back in .
Flag
Yes, I agree with your assessment of Clarke in this ep. It was very like she'd given up.

I've noted that Jasper was drunk, but Clarke probably was, too, which can't have helped negotiations.

We saw her downing shots -- bizarre since in the ep when she, Wells and Finn discover a bottle of booze in the old car they shelter in, she seems to have never had a drink before. In that ep she drinks because she's angry and upset. I'd imagine emotional turmoil fueled her time with shots of Monty's moonshine this time around, too.
Flag
The 100 (minus some) feel like they've created this whole new society, and it feels like The Ark is still on the old page, not the new one. To be honest, the kids don't need the adults anymore - that society is cold and structured and aggresively policed and dictatorial and classist. Most of this, yes, is a requirement of living on a space station, but it seems like they're going to bring that aggressive, controlling, smallmindedness to Earth, and The 100 have passed beyond that. Next season should see some interesting clashes. You kind of see it foreshadowed in the communication scenes- the Chancellor still expects to be instantly obeyed and the ones on the ship kind of talk down/are dismissive when communicating with the 100. It's obvious they still view them as juvenile delinquents, but they're not anymore - now they're survivors. I don't think Clarke and Bellamy and co are going to find it as easy as they think to simply hand over the decision making.
Flag
The structure of life on the Ark is oppressive. The whole family's reunited thing is nice but the writers and cast have done a good job of showing how unpleasant the thought of the strictures of the hierarchy on the Ark are to the 100, who -- I think you're right -- have passed beyond them.
Flag
You're right about Diana. She's kind of the big bad and her motivations are unknown which makes her one of the weakest characters. She's basically wrecking everything for everbody else and we don't have a clue why. All the other characters actions can be understood to a certain degrees... her's can't.

As for Clarke becoming like Bellamy: It was to be expected that she'd take on some of his views - after all they're in a hostile environment. However she has become very, very shortsighted. How could she even get the idea that bringing armed hotheads to peace talks could even begin to be a good idea? Also she did come of as pretty arrogant when she talked to the grounders. "Our people will kill you all you don't have a chance when they come down" - not a good way to negotiate as she was threatening them further. I think in that situation an honest apology could have gone a long way in getting to peace. Then again - that wouldn't be very exciting for the future of the show would it?
Flag
I didn't see Clark as being arrogant in that scene. I feel like she was just being her normal matter-of-fact self. Then again, that arrogance you saw might have just been a form of enthocentrism on Clark's part.

Still, I doubt an honest apology would have done anything. The Grounders showed up with weapons and backup (like Clark's people did), so there was clearly not enough trust (on either side's part) for any meaningful truce to be called.
Flag
I thought it was funny when Jasper said that the Grounder Princess looked pissed and Bellamy said "Our princess [meaning Clarke] has that effect."

Re Clarke's arrogance. I think the writers highlighted class more in this episode, given Diana's mutiny.

You see it in the discussion Clarke and Bellamy have about Unity Day. Bellamy is cynical about it and feels like the real history of what happened has been hidden. Clarke acknowledges that it has been hidden but that doing so is good for the [masses] people. Spoken like a true "Princess."

Bellamy seems more focused than she does at first on the restriction of freedoms they'll experience once the first dropship, laden with guards arrives. Not from the privileged class like Clarke (and given his family's history) he has felt their oppression. For most of her life before her father was floated Clarke probably hasn't.

I thought it was strange that she would throw the threat of the guards in Anya's face at peace talks but then I thought that it's in keeping with an upbringing in which her family always knew what was best for the others and as part of the ruling class used the threat of violence to enforce it.

Abby, Clarke's mother, is a benevolent character who really does care about the people of the Ark, in general but (in-fighting aside) she's also in a very privileged position aboard the Ark. Her place on the first drop ship is never in doubt and while she cares about them, it takes her a long while and her husband's death to come around to the idea that the ordinary/working class people on the Ark should know the actual situation (that the Ark is dying).

You'd expect Clarke to display some ruling class qualities. I'm writing this while thinking that Diana's beef may be more complex than simply getting frustrated with the workers always getting the dirty end of the stick.
More +
Flag
It was silly to assume that either side would come unarmed. It's pretty normal to have armed ppl with you when you're negotiating in a situation of conflict.

The Grounders in the trees were there to ensure their side's safety just as much as Bellamy and crew were there to safeguard Octavia, Clarke and Finn.

In a situation like their's where they are in this mess because of misinterpretations of each others actions and when people have already died you have to just be willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and take a leap of faith as Finn did for the cycle of mistrust to end.

You don't trust them but have to be willing to behave, in that setting, as if you do so that you can start to talk.

If Anya had wanted to capture or kill Clarke, knowing the terrain better the Grounders could probably have ambushed Clarke's crew on their way to the meeting place rather than actually come out to meet them.

Flag
If you can't get the whole peace, you ask for a smaller piece. If you can't get "please stop killing us", you ask for "please stop killing us when..." and you build on that as best you can.
Flag
I usually call that a negotiated peace.
Flag
Yes, totally agree with what you've written..
Flag
I want to see Octavia with a Lincoln Bastard Child!
Flag
by Lincoln-- I mean litterly pop out a mini-Lincoln circa 1980.
Flag
This will bring all the humans together... like Erasmus said-- even an enemy is made powerless by a baby! Dichen will be Auntie Entity and teach him the power of Two Men Enter One Man Leaves Philosophy for Social Justice!
Flag
I was thinking what sort of "fall out" irradiated male sperm might have... even after almost a century... (and am no talking necessarily 'bout the nukes, I doubt the rip on the ozone layer has been fixed) although Lincoln looks pretty normal to me... at least on the exterior LOL

The other guys looked scary but probably because of the masks? Although I would say that if you do not have all 10 fingers/ toes and regular number of eyes & heads maybe you do not get to have children... that would be the most prudent to say the least...
Flag
The ozone layer must be mostly OK... not one of those kids seems to be suffering from sunburn, and you know they didn't bring any sunblock.

They'd actually get more radiation in space, so the irradiated sperm is less likely to be a problem than a damaged egg.
Flag
I thought they were just brought up in a society that idolized Slip Knot???? Well we have survived the detonation of about 2500 nuclear weapons ranging from 1.5Kt to 57mt (the Tsar Bomba 1964)... So, we haven't had too many major birth defects due to the nuclear radiation associated with those explosions.

The Bravo Castle device, the biggest US detonation was a 15mt above ground detonation in the Bikini Atolls. That hasn't seemed to really cause too much damage in the South Pacific and Pacific US Territories.

I
Flag
The reason the detonations at Bikini don't affect people is because the people were all relocated.

Try a search on "Hanford downwinders" for some fun.
Also, the Soviets' results from nuclear testing are so severe that some are proposing "genetic passports" to determine whether the people who lived near the testing ground should have offspring or not.
Flag
Surely you are forgetting Hiroshima mate!
I can tell you that survivors were shunned for a least a couple of generations...
Flag
I don't think it was the alcohol that made Jasper flip out so much. It had been night when they left the camp and morning when they reached the bridge. Whatever alcohol he'd imbibed would have been processed by then and the most he'd have is a hangover - no, I think Jasper had a PTSD episode when he saw the javelin in the grounder's hand in the trees by the riverbank.
Flag
The writers underscored that he was drunk in that scene with Raven, even focusing in on his hand releasing the cup of moonshine onto the table as they left. Depending on how late at night it was when we saw them partying, it may only have been a few hours from then when they have the meeting with the Grounders.

But your theory is really valid.

He also was affected by seeing Octavia with Lincoln. While that wouldn't have made him consciously decide to shoot a Grounder, his anger/sadness might have made it easier for him to do so.
Flag
It's weird how people how people pick up different things in a scene. For me, the fact Jasper immediately started shooting when he saw the grounder raise his javelin through the scope, made my mind immediately jump to PTSD, which has basically been a subtext in his characterisation since he got a javelin in the chest in episode one (also on a river bank!)

As for timing, it was night when they left the camp, day when they had the meet, and them night again when they got back to the camp (and they were running!) Logistically, I think that means there was a pretty big time gap/distance between the river and the camp.
Flag
Fair enough, I'll have to rewatch that sequence. To be honest, I didn't see much detail re what/who was in the trees.

We'd probably agree that Jasper shouldn't really be first pick for missions though. : )
Flag
Very difficult to have a mature political view at 18. Mostly one has good intentions and a general idea of what ones wants... I thought it was very realistic.
Flag
Yeah, I don't think this is the case. Also, Bellamy is at least 23.
Flag
I've been an Anarcho-syndicalist since I was 18!
Flag
I agree that Bellamy is a leader.

I just think that he isn't that good at seeing beyond immediate needs and is impulsive.

Up until recently, Clarke has been more of a long range planner and more level-headed. Finn is an idealist.

In earlier episodes, I thought that the group benefited from all three of those influences.

Now the Triangle, Clarke learning of her Mom's betrayal and the impending arrival of new people from the Ark has eroded this.
Flag
LOL I am sure you did not have 90+ kids to lead...
PLUS you think you are sooo clever at that age...
When you hit 30 you wonder how you "managed it"
When you hit 40 you tell yourself you were just a kid
When you hit 50 you smile fondly (forgive yourself) and remind people that being 18 is not that easy... ;-)
Flag
George Custer was 23 in the Civil War and a General. In fact the US Army during the Civil War had a hand full of these super young generals. Alexander the Great started his campaign to the conquer the world at 20. Napoleon was 24 and General.

My 2nd LT was 22 because he was just out of College. Graduated at 21 and was in the Marines for 1 year. He was a dick...

So yeah historically speaking people achieved a lot more before their mid 30's.

Flag
"So, being 18 and in charge is not that big of deal."

But your 2lt was at least 22 before he was given a command.
Flag
I'm not saying that Bellamy, Clarke and Finn are following orders--I'm saying that it is relatively easy to get people to follow orders once they believe in you. We've already seen Bellamy lead--he's been leading since day one. So really all he has to do is keep doing what he already is doing.

Sure, he might have to manage a few personalities like what he did with the whinner. However, for the most part he has a perfect scenario for leadership. He has vision and simple clear cut goals, he has an adversary that frightens the rest of the group into following, and finally he has a population that is already used to following a leader in an undemocratic manner. So they aren't going to question his role in authority. All he has to do to prove it is maintain their relative safety.
Flag
Though TatraFan, Bellamy and Clarke (and to a certain extent Finn) are being called upon to give the orders. To be four star generals, the Pentagon, the Commander in Chief not just follow orders.
Flag
I think you are giving more arguments to my side LOL...
Flag
Dude the military isn't that hard. I joined up because I was bored and wanted to play with a tank.

The training isn't exactly all that difficult. If you can teach people how follow orders you can lead. The show already has Bellamy as a natural leader. Now all needs to do is learn a few minor tactical doctrines.

I was made a corporal very quickly because they give you an entrance like exam called the ASVAB and I scored a perfect score on it. So right out of Bootcamp I was pushed into the roll of Corporal... But even that test was a joke. Let's put this way the military is not so much about critical thinking at first as it is about obeying orders like they were the word of god.

So Bellamy already knows how to get people to follow him. He knows the power of blind obedience so he would be good junior officer in the modern military.

When I left the Reserves in 2003 for medical reasons I was almost 24 years old and my Lt was 22 years old almost 23 fresh out training. He was a total dick too... A real chip on his shoulder about something. We had one captain that was about 28 and two others that were in their early 30's. So usually you find that some of the best combat leaders are people a) too young to realize that they are really playing with people's lives and b) too convinced that they able to do the right thing no matter what. These are the people that don't freeze up under combat stress.
More +
Flag
Correct me if I am wrong TatraFan, but weren't you trained first as a soldier?
You didn't just joined, were given a weapon, and put in charge, right?
PLUS you were following orders I presume until you proved to have enough sense to be made Corporal right?
Flag
I was in the Marine Corps when I was 19.... I was Corporal by 20. I was the number two guy in a Tank. By the time I was 21 I was Sgt. And I commanded a tank and group of tanks. I was number two guy under a Lt. in our tank platoon of 40 tanks. I was in charge of squad about half that number. Depending the mission we might break the squads up to 4 elements of 10 tanks or 2 elements of 20 tanks each.

So, being 18 and in charge is not that big of deal.
Flag
Excellent review. I agree that exploring the different sides of human nature is the most compelling part of the story so far. Traditionally story telling in T.V. has groomed the viewers to acept characters as two dimensional beings that are either on the side of good or on the side of evil. That every problem gets solved by the final credits and everyone loves each other and joins in a big group hug at the end. But human nature is not as concrete as that and I'm happy to see the CW support a show that is willing to capture those themes in it's story telling.
Flag
"That Escalated Quickly" was the title of this week's Supernatural review. Apparently tv.com reviewers are not paid for originality. But other than that it was a good review.
Flag
Mygoodness, this show is so amazing! Every week it twists and turns into this phenomenal BEAST of a show! I love absolutely everything about it! From Kane's heartfelt words to his dying mother to Octavia's sexy sizzlin' with ablicious Lincoln.

P.S. I believe one can never speak of "the tortured grounder" or just "Lincoln" anymore. The ablicious must always be included from now on. Thank you for this consideration.
Flag
The reason the whole Ark is imperiled is because Diana's commandeered drop ship wasn't properly decoupled from the Ark when it launched.

Her stealing power from the Ark to charge the ship's power lowered the temperature in parts of the Ark and put people in danger that way, but Jaha and Kane were evacuating the affected sections.

The bigger problem was that by launching without de-coupling, she essentially ripped a hole in the Ark.
Flag
Plus, of course, she took a whole bunch of people who actually do things on the Ark.
Flag
Hey @thekaitling! Thank you! ;-)

Yay, lots of action for this ep! Really nice! Good decision to renew the series!

Yeah, Henry Ian Cusick was good in that scene! Good for him that he actually got a good scene to sink his teeth in.

Erm... "why Kate is my favorite character" Kane?

[Side note: I wonder how long it took Henry Ian Cusick to come up with a decent American accent. I just found out that he speaks Spanish (Yay!) so maybe that helps because poor David Tennant is apparently having a hell of a bloody awful time getting rid of his for he US version of Broadchurch...]

Yes I think that while Clarke is becoming more extremist, Bellamy is coming back from that "edge."

Enjoyed ep very much!
Flag
So the grounders are matriarchal. There leader is female and they see Clark as the leader of the 100. Would make sense as the power of women grow in civil society when men go off to war. I hope they stick with that and back off on that.
Also I thought that pod that was falling down was a piece of the ark not the evacuation pod with the mutineers, because no one would realistically survived that crash and that would be a waste of a lot of interesting characters.
Flag
Interesting point about the command structures... because power women did play heavily in this episode's outcomes. You can even throw Diana into the mix as well. She is now the self-proclaimed 'Chancellor' of her little rebel group. Can you imagine how badly Diana will clash with Clarke or Anya? yikes
Flag
Or they just happen to have a woman in charge of negotiations right now. A few years back, the USA was in that situation, and it certainly is NOT matriarchal. Lincoln didn't want Bellamy to be the negotiator because, having experienced both, he believed that Clarke was more likely to, well, negotiate.
Flag
"So the grounders are matriarchal"

Didn't think of that... but why does it have to be the extremes again? Why not something more equal?
Flag
I hope they stick with that and Don't back off on that
There really should be an edit feature.
Flag
I second that motion about the piece of the ark falling down instead of the actual pod. No way that something so vital to the show ends up completely lost. Red herring cloaked as a cliffhanger! ;-)
Flag
I third that notion, that's exactly what I thought the second it hit in a big explosion. Though this show surprises the hell out of me so often!
Flag
I'm not sure how the Grounders view the Ark refugee's command structure. Lincoln suggested Clark to meet with his leader most likely because she's clearly in charge but isn't Bellamy who tortured him. Finn chose her because he thought he could sway her. He'd have had no chance with Bellamy.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members