A The 100 Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2017)

The 100 S01E01: "Pilot"

Television series depicting supernatural and fantasy worlds are nearing their saturation point in the current landscape, but genre television still has plenty of room in the often mocked, often misunderstood realm of science-fiction. Lost is one of the only series in the last decade to exist in the realm of science-fiction and gain a truly massive following that included even the regular television viewer. Series like Battlestar Galactica were popular, especially among critics, but the general population still sees outer-space as the home of the nerds. They ignored the series because they didn't see it as a well-written allegory for a post 9/11 world, but as just another weird sci-fi show that probably only attracted overweight losers who lived in their parents' basements. 

But science-fiction is about more than the extraterrestrials lifeforms or artificial intelligence that most associate with the term. The genre can encompass futuristic settings and technology, time-travel, space-travel, parallel universes; the world of science-fiction is truly limitless, which is entirely the point. Outside of BBC America's clone-centric Orphan Black, it's been awhile since a series in this particular genre has found a home on popular television, but The CW's The 100 makes a very strong case to change that.

Right now, I know you're scoffing because I just said The CW has a really good television series, but it's true. The 100, which is pronounced "The Hundred," is a truly exciting science-fiction series set 97 years after a nuclear apocalypse wiped out the entire population of Earth. The pilot gets most of the clunky exposition out of the way early on with a voiceover by the main character, Eliza Taylor's Clarke Griffin, which allows it to jump right into the action and the drama, but the short version is that the 400 people aboard the 12 space-stations in orbit during the attack were the lone survivors of the human race. Now, three generations later, the Ark—a giant space-station assembled by combining the original 12— is dying. Despite a very strict form of population control that limited couples to having only one child, and using capital punishment for even the smallest of crimes, there are 4,000 people aboard the ship. Save for the people in charge of the Ark's government structure, and Clarke, the daughter of the now-deceased engineer who discovered the flaw, no one else knows the truth about the Ark.

In order to save the human race, 100 juvenile delinquents (anyone over the age of 18 who commits a crime is immediately floated," or sent out the airlock, which is what happened to Clarke's father because he wanted to tell everyone the truth about the Ark) are sent to Earth's surface to determine whether or not it's inhabitable once again. They were chosen because their crimes made them expendable, and even if they didn't survive the journey to the surface, their departure from the Ark at least bought the rest of the population another month of life. This is the harsh reality of The 100

The pilot truly begins once the 98 passengers—two of the teens died upon landing because they weren't strapped in to their seats (CLICK IT OR DIE, GUYS)—arrive on Earth and begin exploring the radiation-soaked forest in which they've landed, which, because of a malfunction with the ship's parachutes, is about 20 miles from the military base that was their drop site. The ship's computer was fried during their descent to Earth which means the only thing connecting the children on the ground to the adults in orbit are the wristbands reporting their vital signs. 

Almost immediately a conflict arises from the two different mentalities among the survivors. There are those who want to complete their mission, save the human race, and see their families again, and then there are those who want their freedom from the harsh reality of their former lives. Clarke's natural leadership instincts kick in as she leads a small group of teens to Mt. Weather, the military base supposedly stocked with supplies, while Bellamy, a janitor who would like to ensure the rest of the humans don't follow them to Earth because he wants his freedom, leads the other, larger group. There's also the little instance of him having shot the Chancellor in order to gain access to the ship headed for the surface. Whoops. The fraying of the group is still in the early stages in the pilot, but the growing tensions between the two will continue to build, inevitably leading to a greater discussion of the self versus the group, individual freedom versus structure. Will the teens surrender to their more basic animal instincts and allow chaos to reign or will order prevail? It's very Lord of the Flies, and it works quite well.

The pilot proves The 100 is not your average CW series, although it is in fact aimed at a younger demographic. A few adults, including Isaiah Washington's Chancellor (and the father of one of the Hundred), his second-in-command Kane (Henry Ian Cusick), who believes in a more strict no tolerance policy, and Clarke's mother Abby (Paige Turco), the Ark's chief medical officer, all play important parts as the situation on the Ark begins to deteriorate and ideologies clash, but the series is definitely focused on the teens and the action on the ground. That being said, it's a testament to the series that it's not afraid to show the brutal, realistic side of this world. It's dangerous and children die. After Octavia escapes the weird river monster with barely a flesh wound, it wrongly appears that maybe the series isn't willing to go to the depths of such a grim reality that would normally exist in this situation. But then Jasper is speared through the chest at the end of the pilot and it's obvious the show isn't your average teen drama in which everyone is guaranteed survival simply because they're playing for the right team. The children aren't alone on Earth, which only heightens the danger and elevates this drama from most of The CW's lineup. 

Some of the best moments of the pilot are the small moments in which viewers are reminded that these teenagers have never experienced life without the hum of machines. They've never breathed fresh air, felt the wind on their faces, or experienced the warmth of sunshine on their skin. Everything we take for granted, these children are experiencing for the very first time. Their excitement at having seen a deer is marred once the deer turns its head and they see it's deformed and has two faces as a result of radiation. It serves as a harsh reminder that they might not be so lucky having reached the surface. When Jasper gets shish-kebabbed through the chest, it's another item to add to the growing list of reasons why this world is more dangerous than anything they've experienced thus far. 

It's been a long time since a real science-fiction series has been worth watching, and yes, there's a bit of exposition in the pilot, but it's necessary for viewers to understand the bleak reality of the world in which these teenagers grew up. The pilot hints at future relationships as Finn teases Clarke or Jasper attempts to woo Octavia by acting the hero, but whereas some series, like say Star-Crossed, would make these romantic pairings a major plot point, The 100 uses them to enhance the story rather than be its driving force. And it makes sense given the stakes at hand. It isn't wrong for series to explore these natural human relationships, but if the teenagers landed and love-triangles and googly eyes immediately appeared, one would have to wonder what Stephenie Meyer novel it was born from. I haven't read Kass Morgan's series on which The 100 is based, but if the source material is as highly engaging and exciting as the series, I might have to start.

VITAL STATS

Current Population of The Hundred: 98

– My biggest complaint about the pilot, having watched it a few times now, is the use of contemporary music rather than a score. The songs can be distracting and often result in removing the viewer from the episode. If there's one obvious example that this is a show on The CW, it's definitely the music choices. They'd have been better off going a strict instrumental route rather than say, using Imagine Dragons even if the song is called "Radioactive." And a side note: how many different shows on The CW has that song appeared in now? I'm pretty positive it's been in The Originals, too.

– What's up Kane's butt, man? It he power hungry? Just a dick? You have to love him though, because otherwise lines like, "If we're going to kill hundreds of innocent people, we're going to do it by the book," won't work. I'm very interested in seeing a splitting of ideologies on the Ark mirroring those happening on the ground. Also, I like me a good mutiny storyline!

– As a big Battlestar Galactica fan, I might have gotten a little too over-excited at seeing Alessandro Juliani back in action in whatever the command center is for The 100. Gaeta lives! And every mention of floating made me picture Laura Roslin giving orders to send someone out the airlock. 

– The subplot involving Wells, the son of the Chancellor, is interesting, because he only got himself arrested to go to the surface with Clarke, who was only arrested as punishment for her father's "crime" of wanting to tell the truth about the fact that the Ark is dying. Naturally, Wells believes in order and following orders, and the scene in which his wristband was forcefully removed was actually quite upsetting for me knowing that his father would think he died.

– Who put a spear through Jasper's chest? Is he dead? 

– I like Clarke acting as if she understands how far 20 miles actually is, given that she's lived on a space-station her entire life. Also, they got there pretty fast for having no provisions. Just saying.

– Octavia was arrested simply because her mother had the audacity to have two children. She spent most of her life hidden from everyone, and once her existence was uncovered, her mother was executed and she was arrested. Octavia and Bellamy are the sole siblings in existence. 

What'd you think of The 100's series premiere? Will you be back for Episode 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 16

463 Comments
Comments (474)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Is this writer seriously bemoaning the fact that there is exposition in the show? How are you going to tell a sci-fi story set in the future without exposition? Or any other story, for crying out loud? If anything, there's not enough exposition in the pilot.
Flag
what's the song in the "end" of the 5th episode?? anyone?
Flag
Hayden Calnin- For My Help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE92-dRwjjM
Flag
thxx :)
Flag
Everybody is welcome to enjoy a Brazilian groups on facebook about The100!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seriethe100/
Flag
Gotta disagree with the music point. I thought it was a nice touch. Especially when Ben Howard's "Promise" was playing. Such a beautiful song. Everything else in the review sounds spot on, well done
Flag
so.............i just watched all three episodes in one sitting and
questions about this plot.........:

What happened to all the other nations? Didnt they have seperate ships?

And if all the different nations came together over time why does everyone have a distinctly american english diction?

Why is everyone so clean after countless days in the wilderness? Only like 3 of them have actually even seen flowing water.

how did the kids' bodies adjust so quickly to such a dramatic change in oxygen levels and all the other free radical chemicals in the air?

why did the cave save them from the gas?

why did the black guy get killed first?

Why are the tools so primitive. its the FUTURE and they have a shovel and some axes? We dont even use that now.

all 6 of the kids were drinking that one tiny bottle of whiskey for 2 days?

Is this actually a comedy? if so then its actually pretty good.

Flag
why does everything have to be Politically Correct for you. So sad.
Flag
lol i feel sad for you....
Flag

Why would they not educate the child offenders, so that they could become beneficial factors to the success and survival of the species?
Why would they instead keep children prisoner for numerous years to use all of the extremely scarce resources just to kill them at 18?
Why do only five of the hundred kids care about surviving to the next day?
Why does the doctor know nothing about science? Why is she an expert surgeon and also in charge of exploration missions? How exactly did she put his intestine back together?

Flag

How is it that over a hundred years in the future, the "scientists" aboard the arch have constructed fashionable bangles that can perceive and analyze the chemical composition of the children's' blood stream and the slightest fluctuations in their vitals,BUT they do not posses any device that would be able to, perhaps, detect radiation levels in the environment (something we have right now btw). This is especially interesting considering the plan was to go back to earth. Why would you even have the first thing if you could just use the 2nd?

Flag
I finally watched the pilot. I think the CW went overboard running this one through the beautification machine. There's an interesting concept here...they don't need to "punch it up" with good looking people, nice clothes and modern music. I think if they really wanted to portray a dystopian post-apocalyptic future, then they should have had the 100 (juvenile delinquents) clothed in some type of prison uniform. A drab uniform would be more representative of the oppressive society they supposedly lived under.
I'll watch the next few episodes to see how it goes. My biggest worry is that the camp will just end up being a teenage version of Under the Dome. Bellamy is already acting like the "Big Jim" of this show.
Flag
I don't know if anyone else made this connection, because I'm honestly too lazy to read through the 448 comments below, but I saw this right away. The ship left with 100 young delinquents. Two died during the landing, and now Jasper is dead leaving 97 on earth. The humans were not supposed to return to earth for a hundred years, but because the ark is dying they sent 100 down early, 97 years after the nucular apocalypse. So now there is one person for each year the humans have not been able to return to earth. I don't know if the symbolism was done on purpose, but I like it.
Flag
Ok correction, should have read the episode synopsis before writing this. Guess there's still just 98 on earth. However it's still early in the series.
Flag
Soooo...how did the janitor kid have a GUN? On a space station? I'm fairly sure none of the people in space when Earth got cooked would have been carrying projectile weaponry - that's just dumb.
So the survivors, having seen what happens to a society that has nuclear weapons, decide to allocate some of their very few resources to small arms manufacture?
How long did it take to get all 100 teens into a shuttle, and then to launch it? How long did the descent take? Why did nobody notice their boss had been shot earlier? If the wound was that bad. Why hadn't he bled out already?
Why was the vine swing clearly made out of rope? Where did they find it?
The footprint was clearly a bootprint. Did the monkeys evolve and learn cobbling?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
In a pre-apocalyptic world you think no one would take a gun with them into space? How the Janitor got the gun and attempted the assassination would make for an interesting flashback episode, but its plausible. And presumably the Janitor shot the Chancellor just before launch so he could escape on the ship. The launch would had to have happened inside a narrow window to land them near their target zone, which would shorten the time of decent to minutes, meaning the Chancellor wouldn't have bled out before being discovered. Hope this timeline helps you out!
Flag
Yes, actually, I think a lot of science fiction has featured the theory that bullets fired inside space ships/stations is a very bad idea. These are not military behemoths like BS:G, these are civilian stations that are barely working.
They were obviously not expecting the world to explode beneath them when they went into space, or they would have been much more prepared. Therefore there is little reason for the original 400 people to have taken guns. Except, I suppose, "'Murica! Guns just make sense. Want to put out a fire? Better have a gun handy!"

It currently takes an hour for a shuttle to land on Earth, from the point of thruster ignition to landing. That is excluding the time (about a day) it takes a skilled crew to navigate to the point of ignition. Of course some of the safety checks wouldn't need to be done, it being a bunch of durn kids on board, but I still maintain that the Chancellor would have died long before he was discovered.

Of course, the Janitor hasn't actually SAID he shot the Chancellor, he just said he did something bad, and Kane was the one who pointed the finger. My timeline could be correct, but who actually did the shooting could be somebody different.
More +
Flag
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'd sneak a gun aboard so its not a stretch to think someone else might. And yes, while it does take time to land a shuttle it takes little time to drop a capsule, which is part of the reason we continue to use them. Remember also, this takes place in the future, so there is no telling what advancements were made to the capsule concept.
Flag
Haven't you seen the Monkey's in the Wizard of Oz?

Think Flying Monkeys dressed as Bell-hops crossed with this Jan Michael Vincent and George Peppard classic Post-Nuclear classic: Damnation Alley (1977)

Now this is what I'm hoping happens to the 100!

Flag
Cw have the masterpiece that is SUPERNATURAL under their belt, so I will try any show they air
Flag
I like it cause this series has potential for a lots of drama and action.
Clarke also looks like an interesting lead, mostly cause she thinks ahead and i supposedly getting sh*t done.
How in hell is Jasper alive?
Flag
I think the show is really good and excited to see where it goes. I hope it goes to a regular series this fall or at least come back next mid-season.

2 things: I hope they done kill off the only black guy on the show, they already injured him so i hope he at least lives for the season.
I'm sorry but those kids clearly don't look 18 or under except for Jasper and Wells and more or less Octavia.

What kind of girl's name is Clarke????
Flag
That was awesome! Finally a sci-fi series to get excited about, hope the quality continues.

Nice review but I think your count is wrong, with the janitor sneaking on we should have started with 101, so 99 or 98 depending on if Jasper is dead or not...
Flag
"Current Population of The Hundred: 98"

But what about Jasper? His death makes it 97?
Flag
In the last shot of him he looked pretty dead.
Flag
He's alive in the promo for next episode, though:)
Flag
Really? Wow. Wouldn't have thought that. Well, I guess I was wrong then.
Flag
I'll be back next week anyway, I still have hope (very little hope in fact) that it will get better. For example, I think a way out would be to see most of these characters getting killed by some horrible animals or even humans. With all the Spartacus-like gore effect. The Jasper's spear in the abdomen for example was too quick without any blood and Octavia should have lost a part of her (beautiful by the way) body in this encounter with this big animal.
Flag
The pilot was lame and weak. The story was stupid and the acting was quite bad. To begin with, if the survival of the human race is at stake, you don't send a bunch of unprepared teenagers. They may be part of an expedition, but certainly not on their own. Regarding the acting and discussions, well, not all is bad of course. But, most of it. The discussions is what you would wait from teens. Regarding the special effects, they were also very weak.
I don't understand how you can talk about BSG and this crap show alongside. BSG was great, very intelligent, with a great cast. So I don't agree with you Kaitlin ...

Flag
If a wrist band can send all of that detailed info into orbit, why not include a small Geiger-counter that can do the same. Radiation is, after all, the most pressing concern.

On the other hand, that scene where the kids, who have spent their entire lives in a grey metal box, open the hatch and step out in to a sun-lit forest, was very well played. I could almost feel their euphoria.

The whole 'stay or go' thing was just too dumb. Why turn it into a debate? The girl with the map says 'food's this way' and starts walking, anyone who wants to eat can follow. Anyone who wants to stay is too dumb to have around, so good riddance.
The food store is, most likely, a fortress, whereas the landing site is just a crashed lander.

OTOH, getting rid of the wrist bands was a good call, IMO.

Apes having evolved to the point of using metal weapons in just 97 years, even with increased radiation? Unbelievable. More likely is that not all human life was extinguished in the war.

"– I like Clarke acting as if she understands how far 20 miles actually is, given that she's lived on a space-station her entire life. Also, they got there pretty fast for having no provisions. Just saying."

They didn't get there, did they?
More+
Flag
Excellent point about building a Geiger-counter into the wrist bands, but I disagree about the debate regarding who is going to Mount Werner. Remember the "radioactive forest" between them and the goal? Who would risk that? Plus, you're walking into the unknown and I imagine the fear factor would make most of them want to wait with the ship. Sending a small team to the base and back makes a lot of sense. If they come back you know more about what is out there, and if they don't, well, that tells you something as well.
Flag
How is the forest they are going to walk through any different from they landed in? They are already in the unknown. The only 'known' element in the whole scenario is Mt. Weather.
Once some (or all) of them get to the mountain, leaving it is the last thing they should do. Going back through the forest, carrying precious food, would be completely idiotic.
Flag
I'm very excited about this show. It still has CWy elements to it but it's trying very hard to take itself seriously which is good. The music was a little distracting. I found it hard to believe that such a large sea monster would exist in a river ecosystem where most of the animals had been wiped out but I'll give it a free pass. The throwing the stone distraction and the credibiiity of the rope swing however were dubious at best but I'm glad they were the only things I could really nitpick. I think this one's a keeper.
Flag
The "river monster" may have been a large worm or leach, which wouldn't cause a lot of damage to the beautiful Octavia in the short time it had her.
Flag
Go do down the Amazon and you will find very large snakes in the water...

Flag
I will
Flag
Unbelievably predictable. And I won't even get into the fact that it's the apocalypse and there's make up for imprisoned teens.

Just because it's better than what the CW usually does, doesn't make it good. The sets and special effects are not enough to keep me interested. Will not be returning.
Flag
What do you mean unbelievably predictable... I believed before I watched it that I could predict most of the plot ploys-- I was correct! So, I see no reason to lambast it because it is a poor man's Red Curtain Theater Production... Sure we have all liked a little musical number in the middle and a nice bit of 3-D graphics-- but it is the CW so we have to make many concessions to the low-budget nature of CW's productions. Sadly, we won't be seeing Leo or Kate anytime soon swooning to the sounds of El Tango De Roxanne under the careful eye of Baz Luhrmann.
Flag
The problem isn't the low budget: it's the low writing and acting. I guess I TV.com was building it up way more than it should, so I was expecting it to be much better. Or not boring and blend, at least.
Flag
You totally missed the point I was making fun of the show.
Flag
So, then hopefully you got the fact that I despise Baz Lurhmann's work as well? My point was that this series is in fact a low-budget Baz Lurhmann type affair.
Flag
No, I got that.
Flag
I was kinda impressed. I wasn't expecting much but it went better than expected and looking forward to the next episode. I agree with the music choices thinking about it. But this is where they try and grab the younger audiences I guess. A cool soundtrack. I swear much of the music choices though I hear in every other teen show these days. I hope it finds its stabilising feet. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Flag
I will watch a couple more episodes as the setting is very compelling. But the actors were miscast in my opinion. Too many beautiful faces for a group who was raised in space under dangerous circunstances. There is lot of potential and I hope it develops to be more than just a cute teen showing off show. CW could really have taken this a step further and made it a bit more grim and serious. And the exposition was kind of overwhelming too, they could have washed it down a lot by spreading the info throughtout a couple of episodes. I´ll come back, but my expectations are not very high.
Flag
Some of the acting was a bit hammy and made it hard to believe the kids' prior situation, but still not bad for a premiere. I'll keep watching for sure.
Flag
I was impressed, I'll definatly stay with it and see where it goes. I like the characters of Clark and bad boy cutypie ( I forget his name, I'm sure after a few episodes I'll remember ). I didn't see that spear coming though I new they were being watched but still that was horrible and how discusting was that deer, yuk. Overall not a bad pilot.
Flag
bunch o' inbred kids looking pretty with perfect hair in an apocalyptic world. equally inbred grown-ups with holes in their clothing and perfect hair above with no idea of how to work scientifically. if it wasn't that ridicioulus it would just be sad. so sad. And is it just me but I am wondering, why the freak is the blonde the only blonde? why do the "bad" guys look like Nazis? why did the boy with glasses (goggles) die within the first Episode and why did I know it the first time I saw him? and why oh why did someone make this series?
Flag
I actually thought it was horrible. I didn't enjoy it at all. I thought it had bad acting, stiff lines and a familiar concept that didn't really feel new at all. I guess it might deserve a second chance just because it was a pilot and all, maybe it'll get better? But so far it has done nothing but make me shake my head in disbelief because it was just that bad.
Flag
Not a bad start at all. It was an ejoyable mix of Lord of the Flies + LOST with a healthy dose of teenage drama. Will give this season a go.
Flag
Having caught some of the previews for this I thought it might be worth a try - I've been waiting for a good BSG-esque show since it finished. The 100 simply isn't it.

Firstly, if I was pitching a show like this I would not go with the CW. We're now exposing ourselves for a "sci-fi" version of the OC meets Lost: angsty teenagers looking pretty while some mysterious forces leave them in great peril. Nope, doesn't work for me. Had the cast been made up of characters in their mid twenties or above, this might be decent watching. I just can't find them believeable otherwise.

Secondly, I must have missed the logic in sending 100 kids down there like canaries. Yes, I get that there's this thing that the arc is slowly dying, but your grand scheme to save everyone is to send 100 kids (who have proven they have questionable ethics anyway) to the surface so you can...what? See if they die? Are there no research scientists left? No radiation suits for a small team of qualified scientists to actually provide useful information from the surface? Srsly??

I am no longer hopeful. Not sure I will even give this the 4-episodes I would usually allow, which is a shame. :(
More+
Flag
The idea was that the bracelets would provide the scientific information.
Flag
You make good points and now I wonder why they don't have adult prisoners. Do they get exterminated as soon as they are guilty of a crime and the teenagers are re assessed as soon as they turn 18 or something? I do expect some plot holes. I can't believe no one even once thought that they might try and take the bracelets off. That was a bit stupid. Really clever doctors and engineers and no one thought of that. They can't even tell if its radiation thats "killing" them or they got eaten by a bear. That was pretty stupid. But I did enjoy the first viewing so will continue for now.
Flag
The grand scheme is to send 100 expendable people away so that don't use up air or water or whatever. That way people that are still on Arc can live longer which gives the engineers more time to fix the problem.
Flag
Too early to tell for me.... For now it was just OK, we´ll see.
Flag
the population control on the Ark is not original, bytheway. It is kind of similair as in the movie (and tv show) "Logan's run".

Flag
I guess they have a lot of doctors on the Ark if Kane is so easy to kill the chief medical officer. It would have more diabolical if he wanted to kill one of the assistants of the doctor because she couldn't be missed. She would then have the punishment of getting someone killed because of her actions.
But that didn't happen....

I hope they won't put the story too much on who is in charge and who want's to be, neither on the Ark or on the planet. After the pilot it is pretty certain there will be at least two groups, so I hope it will not be a show that is always about them fighting each other. In my opinion that is what killed Stargate Universe. The preview of the season looked promising so I'm definitely going to see the next episode.

I also hope they didn't get spend a big budget on the pilot and a low one for the rest of the season, because that would mean the show is going to be bad.
Flag
We're back bitches ,that's the first thing you said after humankind is 100 years outspace ?
Forget the radiation , the ridiculousness of deploying brats as first expedition; I liked to see lost's Desmond and , Lt Gaeta (Battlestar galactica).
The blonde is more a control freak than self appointed leader and why does she have a map?
"Whatever the hell we want" stops at the first toothache,apendicitis,or cruel winter.
The doctor was wrong for using more medication than she was allowed.I only assume she must have weighted the odds for Chancellor's survival .
Flag
Do you think people wouldn't get into the Mt. Weather's super secret mountain layer facility??? The first thing people who survived the bomb blast would do is try to find facilities like Mt. Weather and raid them for supplies. And frankly, they would succeed if they didn't have any people in them. So, basically the Mt. Weather Facility would already be plundered. And if if by some miracle it wasn't, than you have the issue of the fact that MRE's (Meals Ready To Eat) the standard military ration doesn't have a 97 year shelf life. The max shelf life for most MRE's is 60 months at like temperatures of 40-50 degrees F. So you try eating a 100 year old MRE and see if you don't get sick on it.

As for blood-- well that is one resource you can get plenty of. You just have a damn blood drive. The harder problem is synthesizing anesthetic drugs (but you could use variations on LSD to create a dissociative state-- that is if you have the proper stuff), finally if Chancellor Pardoned the Doctor the question-is obviously how can he let Kane live? All Kane needs to do is let it slip out that the Chancellor is playing favorites and in that sort of society it would tear itself apart.

"I applaud the anarchist statements myself". I, however would replace whatever the hell we want with "whatever the hell our Anarcho Syndicalist System Wants!" That is just me however.
More +
Flag
You seem to have some information on MRE's, does your assessment take into consideration sub-zero refrigeration under vacuum products?
I imagine that successive Chancellors were given a list of places and some information about eventual landing sites, and this is one of them. For all we know, maybe these places have sensors which the generational ships can sense (?)
Flag
I've eaten some in training. Sure sub-zero would extend life span. But Vacuum would be pretty redundant since they are already vacuum sealed. However, the contains of the food still has stuff that spoil. The food still has moisture and it is hard preserve anything for a 100 years. Unless you flash froze them with nitrogen I don't think you could preserve them for 100 years. Certainly standard MRE's wouldn't last. And if you do have them in sort of cryogenic chamber you need to maintain that system with power. Once the power goes off and it would in this sort of scenario they would defrost and root.
Flag
I was wondering about the power grid to these places too. It would be moot to say anything before they show us what this Mt Weather looks like.
Also, about the MREs, since this is the future, maybe they came up with a way to keep the food fresh, but you are right that it would be a difficult one to explain. The only way I can forsee and I admit it is far-fetched, are extreme GMO seeds that can grow at amazing speed.
Flag
I agree with military supplies ,but as for medical supplies I disagree. There 're a lot of supplies you need when you need to resucitate and make damage control on an gun fire abdominal wound,not only blood.
Flag
That is why would never throw away people into space. You would harvest all the organs from them as form of punishment..
Flag
OK I call BS Lost is Fantasy and anyone telling you otherwise needs to sit down and truly think about why they would ever put Lost in the Sci-Fi Category. As for The 100 I think it looks fine don't know what all the hate I see on the interwebs is particularly about.
Flag
Our cool Space Station orbits Earth since 97 years ... and since it was so cozy in our sardines can we never bothered to observer what is going on on the surface. Lets face it, we'd have 100 more years before we could attempt to get back down ... too bad ... someone made an oopsie and we only have 3 months more of supplies ... instead of sending people down that have a chance to build something like an outpost, lets send our children down without any form of preparation, etc ... sounds legit ...
Apparently lack of oxygen up there made more than a few brains out of order ... not like the people on earth behave much smarter ... There are so many logical flaws to this series that I can't bear watching it.
There are so many interesting settings in some of this years new shows ... but the plots are just too shallow ... TO ME! If you like it, that is fine ... each his own opinion ...
Flag
Wow, great pilot: Entertaining, promising sci-fi-factor and pleasant enough eye-candy to look at... I am thrilled about that new show!
Flag
Damn, i'm not cool nor young enough to watch this show...
Flag
Hmm, a group of stranded people, no communication, no food, no water and dangerous animals in the woods. Small goup expeditions and dividing group dynamics. All of that reminded me of some fairly large shooes that need filling:

Lost.

Ok, Lost wasn't SciFi but the basic setup seems VERY similar.
Flag
Dangerous animals in the woods-- the spear was thrown by nuclear holocaust survivor... Think Planet of The Apes' sequel "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" Let's all pray to the BOMB!

If only the mutants of The 100 will be so cool as these were! And who gets to play NOVA?
Flag
Staff
Lost was totally sci-fi.
Flag
For the Love of God and all that is holy, stop comparing this with Lost. Lost was a metaphysical enigma with layers of mythological symbolism and subtle references to the science fiction and post-modern canons.This series is a jioke pastiche which makes no sense except for some perverts who will masturbate (yes, I am saying it) in the basement of their parent's or worse, their grandparent's , house.
Flag
Both start with a crash, then basic human survival mixed with attempted move into hierarchy. Both worlds (The 100 AND Lost) find out that they are truly not alone, both have a bunker they're trying to get to, and both have their own version of the smoke monster. Tell me again how we should not compare these two shows.......
Flag
Lost is a masterpiece.
Flag
oh, and both have Desmond
Flag
Lost was diggleberry on Plato's Rear!...
Flag
Let's agree to disagree on that one.
Flag
I'm not saying the quality of both shows is the same.

I'm just saying that part of the basic setup is similar. That does not mean that rest of the series will develop to be anywhere close to Lost. Not in the quality of the writing, the acting, the casting or the overlaying mythology.
But you can't deny that, taken purely from the pilot of 100, there are those similarities to Lost I listed above.
Flag
Well, in the first season there was absolutely no indication of that. Even most of the early Dhara-Initiative stuff could be considered just 'fiction'. Later on they added some science that is fictious, so I guess you could call it SciFi after all. But if you apply that logic, everything that is not based and rooted in our real world, would be sci-fi. No dragon flies, no vampire lives and no magic happens without some sort of fictious science.
Flag
Lost began as a drama/mystery/fantasy story. Later on (beginning in S2), it adopted a few sci-fi elements, but it was still a drama/mystery/fantasy story. If anything, even as it adopted a few sci-fi elements, it became more rooted in spirituality and mythology, and less rooted in science.

It was not Sci-Fi.
Flag
It is a good premiere ! Judging from the number of comments here and the ratings being released, it looks like CW might have a new TV hit series !

The concept and politics seems very good. The dying of the Ark and population control are harsh but realistic. The politics on the Ark looks interesting already.

The kids on earth, the group dynamics and the "lord of the flies" feel to it might just work.

There are lots of potential as we don't know what is on earth now and there are a lot of stories that can be told.

It does seems stupid they did not armed the kids (perhaps lack of supplies) or sent some adult leaders with them (perhaps short of manpower). They did explain why 100 as it would buy the Ark another month.

If Jasper died then it would be 97. I would be counting too. It will definitely be a smaller number when the season end. Yes. I am a BSG fan too.

Flag
I think they didn't send any adults because there aren't any in prison. They get executed quite quickly after their trial. They didn't kill the kids for their crime simply because they are kids.
Somehow they did get a machete they were using to get the braclets off.
Maybe they didn't get any weapons because they didn't want to waste them as nobody was expected to survive?
Flag
From the preview of things to come, there were AK-7 and the like.
Flag
You mean AK-74 or AK-47 actually both of them are more commonly found in the AKM variants in world wide production.
Flag
That's fascinating. I was just trying to figure out what gun you were talking about actually? I figured it was a typo. The Bofors company makes the Swedish Service Rifle the AK-5 I thought you might mean that one for second and then I went with the most common AK Rifles in the world the 47 and 74 series guns.
Flag
Ignoramus when it comes to weapons, but I can still tell you what kind of missile is sent my way and where it will blow. I can also tell you how much kilos of TNT where used in the latest car bombing when I first heard it. After all, I was through one civil war and six common wars. ;-)
Flag
I understand that but they could still send a few adult guards to oversee the kids. i guess its hard to find volunteers or as I mentioned, they are short on manpower.
Flag
those kids were expelled from their acting schools clearly. seriously, the worst acting i've seen in a long while. it is just the pilot though, so here's hoping that'll improve. other than that no complaints.
Flag
It wasn't the acting that was so bad-- it was the fact they actually had to try and be 17 year old angst ganstas from space!!!!
Flag
O and the legal system on the arc is a joke. It's kind of cool to kill everyone for anything but seriously? Kicking a can more than four consecutive times = death penalty. Loitering = bam! Death penalty. Offensive staring = You bet! Death penalty. ha ha. Humans.

Flag
Before I watched the pilot I thought that they would regulate the number of population by killing off those who reach a certain age, make up laws that deal out harsh punishments, and they would only allow a certain number of childs to be born to sustain a certain equlibrium between the young and old. That would be the most logical approach, but most of the people would not be able to shallow it, even if it is for their own survival, or for the survival of the human race.
So instead of brainwashing everyone and creating a kind of cult, where it is normal to kill those who are less useful, the story goes with a one child per family and lethal penalty for crimes to prevent overpopulation. From a psychological standpoint it is beneficial, because those who execute and those who let others to be executed can deal with their sense of guilt.
But as we can see this was not the right answer as the population grow from 400 to 4000 in 97 years and the Arc is already in a state where it can not sustain the people in it.
Flag
The harsh punishment for any crime is still too little to impact the numbers. Regulating birth, "mysterious outbreaks and poisoning", unexplained accidents and when you turn 55 you face the big open...
Problem was I guess that the space station contains the last remains of the human race so at the same time future re-population of earth had to be considered...
Flag
Like it or not no current space station planned could ever support the population they have of 4,000 people. The human population by design of our space stations would never be able to grow above 30 people.
Flag
Any imperfection in the mirror would mean that you lose efficiency, which is only a problem if you want to work with something that has a high melting point. Achieving the parabolic curve with slightly bended small parts is easier than filing out the component from one piece and will result in less imperfections, if you don't have the right tools.
For an even bending you can use space's vacuum (as there are possibly no pressing machines) after that you add coating with electrolysis.

Not all the films can be 2001: A Space Odessey. Kubrik made the scipt together with Clark, but usually they would just hire a trending screen-writer to rework the book into a film, that can draw in a wider audience. The moving picture companies have been destroying the genre since long ago, and after a time sci-fi became the equivalent of fighting in space; fighting with aliens or something viewed as only tech and space nerds would watch. Just see how was SG Continuum first recieved. The fans found the life of the crew on a crumbling alien spaceship boring and demanded more action scenes and fighting with aliens. Not that it was the greatest show ever, but I liked it even without the alien threat.
I gave up grumbling about the imperfections long ago, so I could find some entertainment in them. I'm not saying that any garbage should get a pass, but being too hardcore about it would only deprive you from possible enjoyment. Altough good sci-fi is always welcomed.
More +
Flag
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY wasn't smoke and mirrors for science fiction.

As for mirrors... Well you need to collect and focus the light correctly to create the heat.

All television series in space destroy science. But, the point is that why do we let these writers get away with it as an audience? Myself, I won't standby for that any longer (by that I mean I've been on my little crusade since 1999).
Flag
Yeah, space factories are a must if you want an actual space colony. Always sending things back and forth would be the same insanity, that I mentioned before, just backwards.

For the mirror you just need to hack the Hubble apart. Just joking - wrong kind of mirrors in that one. But you don't really need a perfectly made mirror set in space as there is no annoying atmosphere or ozone shield to hinder the rays of sun. You just need the right type of coating and you are good to go. Or they would probably use something similar for space mining and use that. (using heat to fracture stone is known for man over thousands of years)

Please. All the sci-fi series and movies are a bit smoke and mirrors. They usually just mention (if they do at all) a sort of artificial-gravity machine, and there is an even gravity in the space ships' floor. In some cases they can even turn it off partially in the hangars. Or just see how they ignore inertia as those small fighters dog-fight while shooting their "laser" weapons.
This show only had one episode so far, so give it some leash. And it is titled the hundred, so actual space station matters would probably be toned down to the level of supporting the story of Survivor Australian Avatar Radiation Jungle. I don't even expect much, even if it looks more interesting and the actors that stayed up there are doing a better job.
More +
Flag
Well you would need a very precision set of mirrors to make a solar furnace work. So you need a lot of machine tools.

Actually, I think in about 200 years factories in space will be a reality. As will long term space living. The problem with this series is that it hasn't taken the time to make a believable environment for the drama pieces to exist in. It is all smoke and mirrors that really don't cover up the glaring inaccuracies of the basic premise of this story.
Flag
I think keeping alive 400 people in space in the long run is already a stretch. If you consider it possible, then you can give the 4000 pass too.
For refining materials you can use solar furnace, which is big, but not so hard to make and doesn't weight much and there is no energy problem with it.
Experimenting with it doesn't mean that any sane person would cosider putting up a factory in space.
I doubt that they could scrap togather the necessary equipment to start manufacturing microchips. Even if they could, they would need to reverse engineer the chip itself to replicate it.
Flag
Actually, microchips made in micro-gravity have fewer QC issues.. They've done a lot of tests on this during Space Shuttle Missions. The issue would they have the equipment on board to build all the components they need for a microprocessor?

Mining Asteroids requires fuel. Fuel in space would most like come from water- hydrolysis break done into hydrogen and oxygen. But how do you refine materials? You need a foundry. Foundries are heavy and large and you don't want to put them in space. Not to mention the amount of power they need to operate with is insanely high...

Well even if it is hundred years in the future from now when the bombs go off... You would need such a radically more advanced infrastructure in space support 4,000 that I just don't see it in this show.
Flag
But the story is set in the future. How far in the future it is not mentioned, just that they spent 97 years in space. I believe that sending up 400 people into space stations without solving the basic problems that comes with it would be a tad irresponsible.
Lets say they used space junk and mined asteroids to buff up the possible sustainable numbers, but there will still be a problem left: the electronics. It is hypothetically possible to get the basic elements and make simple stuff out of it. Making a polyester shirt is not space science, but making a microchip would be on the level of impossible. You can't grow them on a tree and salvaging is not a valid option.
Flag
dude, why are weezing on the details... They made them out of old parachutes, poo, and used Soviet Space Junk. Luckily someone brought up some Purple Sticky Punch so they used Green Plants to filter the air. Not to mention make some excellent Brownies!
Flag
And where did they get all the clothes? And water, air, meds ...
Flag
Logan's Run...
Flag
Yeah, but in that a computer managed the population, but in this scenario all the responsibilities would fall on humans who have all those annyoing things like conscience, compassion and egoistical behaviour. It could become tricky when it's your turn to take one for the group.
Flag
Sure, Logan's Run had a computer do the hard work. But basically you need the same thing in society. A Lottery of people who do their patriotic duty of giving themselves up as natural resources to sustain the life of the rest. To me that is a more interesting idea to explore. In fact it has some historical analogs: Human Sacrifice in the Aztec Culture and Middle East i.e. the Philistines.
Flag
My biggest complaint about the pilot, having watched it a few times now, is the use of contemporary music rather than a score. The songs can be distracting and often result in removing the viewer from the episode.
Thank you Kaitlin, this was my biggest let-down.
Aside from that I really liked the pilot. This show has so much potential, I have to go way back to recall another scifi show providing that much possibilities for the mid- and long-term perspective. I would love to see that radiation is still a problem - it's already a little hard to swallow that only 97 years later there's no sign of nuclear winter, considering the flora it only lasted for 30-40 years? A little optimistic but ... *sigh* ... not entirely impossible. That the teens are exceptional stupid and undisciplined is worrisome but not that far away from reality.lol

Flag
I can't believe how great this episode was.... This show is really promising.... I can't wait to see what is going to happen to them....
Flag
such a great episode, i loved it! 't was exactly how i wanted it to be!!!
Flag
I don't understand the positive review at all.

I thought it was terrible. And it was barely sci-fi.

It was just 45 minutes of clichés about how morally questionable leaders act and how teenagers act. I'm not sure there was one original idea here.

And of course, the real baddies are the leaders controlling it all. Not again.

On top of that, the show has completely missed the point that these teenagers are not returning to Earth. They were born on a space station. They would never have seen or touched a tree, earth or a rock, and likely never seen an animal in real life (given that the, yawn, station is dying). Earth would be a completely strange alien world to them.
Flag
My thoughts exactly.... thought I was the only that hated it.
The only thing that interests me about it now is the shipping (Clarke and Bellamy) - nothing else. :D
Flag
The answer is simple this show totally original... Evil leaders, space stations, hot twenty somethings playing teens in love, anarchists and my favorite mutants will never be the same until they get the CW treatment.. Roll this up with nice neat bow of current pop-music billboard top 200 hits and you'll be blown away by how important and innovative this show will be.
Flag
I agree with your take on Logan's Run but would add a sprinkle of Earth Two, if you remember the series.
Flag
Yeah I remember Earth 2... I had a flashback to Earth 2 as well when watching this series. I do miss Nox Girl-- whatever happened to her career? Sure, she did hit some kid with her car? But so did Ferris Beuller (his real name I cannot think of right now)... He didn't have to go into acting exile for that offense!
Flag
Apologies for the double original post.... didn't notice it before. Won't remove now as both have comments.

I guess that's sarcasm Tatrafan..... :) Still, I could understand why the younger populous might like it, just not the reviewer (who would normally have more taste).
Flag
Simple Bikini Wearing Hotties! Why else did Welsh become everyone's favorite Cave Woman ??? And who didn't pop a little chubby for Camilla Belle in 10,000 BC??? Same reason hotties in bikinis playing the damsels in distress will always play to our Male Egos. Throw in a few craptastic romances and this show has CW gold written all over it!
Flag
I don't understand the positive review at all.

I thought it was terrible. And it was barely sci-fi.

It was just 45 minutes of clichés about how morally questionable leaders act and how teenagers act. I'm not sure there was one original idea here.

And of course, the real baddies are the leaders controlling it all. Not again.
Flag
My thoughts exactly.... thought I was the only that hated it.
The only thing that interests me about it now is the shipping (Clarke and Bellamy) - nothing else. :D
Flag
A positive Review of this show was probably due to the love of CW's gripping use of Steady Cam!
Flag
I don't get this review at all, but then again I couldn't even watch more than 20 minutes of the pilot...
Flag
This first episode was good. Hope it stays that way.
Flag
love this show! cant wait for more...
Flag
It reminded me a lot of Terra Nova. I liked both pilots, but I'm not sure whether I'll be sticking with it. It will come down to whether there is a decent story or if it will just turn out to be about the challenge of the week.
Flag
Yeah, Terra nova with stupid people ... :D That was my first impression at least ...
Flag
With all the comparative comments -- Do people forget that in the Lord of The Flies they were actually children, and not adult 18 year olds?
Flag
I think most of those who mentioned Lord of the Flies in their comments did not read the book at all. The children were much more competent, and I can't even see how do the hundred's story compare to it. They are both "stranded" groups but other than that? With that much imagination we could compare it to Gilligan's Island.
But if I were try to seriously try to look for a similar story, then it would be Verne's Two Years' Vacation.
Flag
Two Years' Vacation, LOTF, Robinson Crusoe even.. they're all of the same type. The thing with this show is that it needs some teen drama as well. That's when things (can) get tricky for the writers. I think the pilot did just fine though.
Flag
They call this genre Picaresque in literature and has very strict rules which go like this: stupid has an adventure with ritual rites of passage where he will learn about life and wisdom and becomes a hero. this is the case in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Here, the mistake is that while they are idiotic youth, they remain this way.
Flag
I disagree. While all of those stories were set up in the same stiuation - cut off from society - all of them depicts different aspects of human nature. Crusoe is about how a man struggles with isolation and loneliness; Two Years' Vacation is about how individuals comes to an understanding to form a group; LotF is about immature kids, who after giving in to their fears and leave reason degrade to savages.
While Crusoe and Two Years' depicts a noble side of humanty, that can overcome challanges, Lord of the Flies shows the dark and ugly side: without some kind of order and reason we are nothing more than violent animals.
Flag
I always thought Piggy needed to die.
Flag
NOOOO..

Flag
Piggy is freshmeat for the dogs....

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members