A The 100 Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Midseason 2018)

Nietzsche, famously called himself the "antichrist" in his self titled work The Antichrist (1895) as comment how he was the antithesis of all that modern European Society held to be true and positive. He was going to remove the hegemonic hold that Christian morality had on the Western World of the period. His goal was nothing short of creating a "new man" the "Ubermensch" or "Overman" the man who would become the synthesis of his new morality of " Beyond Good And Evil". A self-reflexive being that understood the existential divide between being and not-being. Thus elevating reason and human exist above all forms of metaphysical endeavors (in this respect his goal is not unlike that of Wittgenstein's later work). I wish to do the same on a smaller scale... I wish to expose the raw lack of talent in our modern television and cinema. A world where mediocrity is not only the norm, but, the pinnacle of success! So like Nietzsche before me I stand against the warm current of the Southern Winds, in the cold peaks of the Northern Islands, once only the domain of the Hyperboreans!

So, first off we must ask ourselves is taking on a job with the CW not career suicide? I, say yes, yes it is. There is no way I think to really recover from the pure vapidity of a series like The 100. Sure, your agent will tell you that it is a stepping stone. And it is... right back into the cesspool of CW's next pilot. Look at Kristen Kreuk for example. She spent most of her early years playing either a teenager on Smallville or Edgemont. I'm not sure of Edgemont has an analog directly speaking in American Television perhaps 90210 (the next gen)... And now she is back on the CW limping along in yet another series that eerily models itself after Smallville. Why? Because once you go to the CW your soul is lost. No one can ever take you seriously. You're either a 30 year old playing a Teenager or a 30 year old playing 20 year old that acts like she is 15! Why? Who knows why one would willing do so. However, I feel that the actors of The 100 have just doomed themselves to obscurity and life time of playing mentally stunted adults or teenagers! I feel sorry for them.

Looks over talent? We all know why these stars on the CW? They look good. The acting is secondary to the fact that basically the CW is a warehouse for good looking 20-somehtings to go and pretend they are playing in a real shows. It is a terrible reality we live in where actors and actresses are cast solely on their physical appearance. Where would the great talents of Kathy Bates, Peter Lorre, Oscar Werner, Paul Belmonde, Robert Mitchum be in this world today? No where, fast is the answer to that question, if we accept the CW Model. But is also why "The 100" will fail ultimately. It is a show where only the beautiful exist. A show with Dionysian appetites to the extreme. It is series where Apollonian nature of humanity is scorned to such a degree that even Nietzsche himself would be applaud at the absurd lengths this series goes to extoll the values of Dionysian Cults. It is one endless orgy of teenage lust with no tempering of reason or ethos to ground it. It is in fact nothing more than a snap shot of our current culture's obsession with youth and technological progress! And The 100 might just be the apogee of this crumbling narrative model. I certain hope so...

So, yes, this cast has sold their souls to the CW for a role on a mediocre series. Depicting the worst elements of our culture as moral standards and above promoting physical appearance over all else. This is a Dionysian feast for the eyes and cognitive wasteland that wishes to only make its audience dull in nature and slow in wit!

[ { I may have become a tanker because of this scene in Kelly's Heroes...}

[I find myself compelled to watch it and make fun of it at all turns.... I have this weird love of bad television... I know it is a quandary for me to be sure. As much as I know deep down inside that I should just say "no to it". I just cannot do it. I'm fully aware of how it will only inflame my Nietzschean predilections and send me into convulsions... but what can I say like the Sirens' call I'm attracted to the nubile flesh of the female nature? Does it make me a hypocrite? Perhaps, but I can live with it! COGNITIVE DISSONANCE IS A BEAUTIFUL THING RIGHT? ]

Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 14, 2014
Well, how many young actors really "make it big" after a couple of TV shows?

Not that many. Think of all of the young actors from the various sitcoms and such over the decades... very few made something of themselves later.

The "problem" is that the CW hires a LOT of young actors... their shows are pretty much 90% staffed by many many young actors. So you just see then in the 1 or 2 shows and then... nothing.

At least ultimately they got their shot at stardom.
Flag
Apr 15, 2014
Olivia Wilde-- did what the O.C. , Donnelly's and House MD and after House her career exploded.
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
Do you know where I can purchase a Su-22M from the former Polish Warsaw Pact Airforce???
Flag
Apr 13, 2014
The fact the CW places such huge emphasis on looks is hardly breaking news. Ian Somerhalder even spoke about it in some interview..

*pauses to google quote*

"Who are the other people who are gonna be coming on the show? Are they gonna be good? Because it's The CW, and everyone has to be pretty, and there aren't a lot of pretty people that can act well."

But the idea that simply being on a CW show has doomed an actor/actress' career for life is kind of ridiculous. Sure, some get sucked into a CW loop. (The most obvious example I can think of is Matt Lanter playing yet another high-schooler in Star-Crossed. I cringed). And yes, hiring pretty people that can't act just because they're attractive is ridiculous. You're not likely to get much argument from anyone on that. But your post doesn't seem to acknowledge the fact that just because they're pretty, doesn't mean they can't act. Just because it's on CW, doesn't mean it has to be rubbish. (Reign is populated with gorgeous people but nowadays also full of strong storylines and great acting). Frankly, you making such broad assumptions about all the pretty people makes you about as shallow as the CW.

thekaitling's already provided quite an extensive list of WB/CW actors that went on to have - what many would consider - successful careers. The fact that you don't like their shows or apparently subscribe to the belief that anybody that doesn't make it huge in 'Hollywood' is an automatic failure is besides the point. These people have made careers where thousands of actors have not. Seems the CW can be that stepping stone you mentioned after all.

And make up your mind.. If this is 'a world where mediocrity is not only the norm, but, the pinnacle of success!' then you should be applauding all those actors. They may be on a 'mediocre' CW series but according to you, that means they've made it.

Sidenote: I always found Kristen Kreuk's acting awful. I'd blame that for her inability to build a 'strong' career, not the fact that she started in Smallville.

More+
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
There have only really been two break out stars from the WB. Michelle Williams and Katie Holmes. Even Katie Holmes' career is slipping backwards.

Just because mediocrity has become the pinnacle of success in our society doesn't mean we should laud it as a virtue. Greed is also one of the cornerstones of American society for the past 40 years and frankly it doesn't mean we should accept that as valid value. My mind is made up... Mediocrity is the warm current of the Southern wind... Did you not read my text completely or is it that you are just not familiar with Nietzsche's thoughts to get the allusion I put forth with the Hyperboreans??? I told you exactly that I'm drowning in a culture of mediocrity that has become the pinnacle of success, but, I don't embrace this populist ethos.

"--Let us look each other in the face. We are Hyperboreans--we know well enough how remote our place is. "Neither by land nor by water will you find the road to the Hyperboreans": even Pindar,[1] in his day, knew _that_ much about us. Beyond the North, beyond the ice, beyond _death_--_our_ life, _our_ happiness...." F.W. Nietzsche The Antichrist, 1895 Project Gutenberg plaintxt format-- chapter 1.

That is the passage, I'm parodying in my first paragraph. After all I did intend for the entire article to be a joke. As much as I do love Nietzsche as an author--was if we are honest a totally pretentious, misogynistic, and total prick of an individual. That cannot be denied. His philosophy is interesting in some respects, but ultimately sort of empty. I myself prefer another pretentious prick from Austria named "Ludwig Wittgenstein"...

So, in the interest of total honesty-- first off why would a hardcore Nietzschean (like myself care what you watch)? The fact is when I'm working on a script for my MFA classes and I'm stuck I like to distract myself on the internet with pages like this to see what people are saying. And if I'm really stuck on things --bad television usually gives me the ideas I need to get out of my hole by the virtue of contrast to more complex ideas that might floating around my brain. I've been pretty stuck for the last couple of weeks on ideas that just don't seem to be gelling the way I want them too.

What dooms most of these actresses and actors is talent. Well, that and the sad fact that if they have it they don't get to use; and if they don't have it, they well, they don't a clue and move to stripping or house painting or anything else they might excel in...

More +
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
Katie Holmes a break out star? Did I miss something? I'm wondering what your definition if success is exactly. I'd consider Alyson Hannigan and Amy Acker as having successful careers in addition to the others Kaitlyn mentioned
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
It was looking like she was going to go places... but then she did the whole Tom Cruise thing and disappeared from show biz for a long long time.
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
Katie Holmes had major starring roles in "Batman Begins", "Thank You For Smoking", "Pieces of April", "The Ice Storm", and probably would have done a lot more if she hadn't married Tom Cruise and sort of fallen off the radar.
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
Don't worry, you don't need to bold text or underline. Clearly, I didn't think this was an entirely sincere article. We don't know eachother, so you'll just have to take my word that I'm not as dense as that. I just also happen to think there were some interesting points in there that I wanted to address. And my point was you may not embrace it but for all we know, those actors do. No I'm not saying that means it should be accepted. I'm saying that makes it more difficult to judge them a failure, unless you're only judging them by your own standards and not theirs (or societies').

Of course I agree with your last paragraph though and I know more than a thing or two about procrastination. Now go work on your script.
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
I know what I'll write about next-- " Birth Of A Nation..." brilliant film structurally speaking not so great social message! But DW Griffith Was a A Son Of South via Louisville Kentucky!
Flag
Staff
Apr 12, 2014
Leaving all talk of The 100 aside, technically Smallville was The WB, not The CW. And if you're going to go back as far as The WB and use Kreuk as an example to support your argument, you need to also take a look at the careers that also came out of The WB. Michelle Williams. Chris Pratt. Keri Russell. Joshua Jackson. Emily VanCamp. Lauren Graham. Scott Foley. Sarah Michelle Gellar. Hell, even David Boreanaz managed to make a career out of his role on Buffy. Somehow he parlayed that role in to a spin-off and then managed to land on Bones which will enter its 10th season next year.

I'm not disagreeing with you that The CW often seems to place looks higher than talent when casting its shows, or that it's not a problem (and it's not just The CW that does this, although they're the most obviously guilty, probably because of the younger demographic), but I do think it's wrong to say that taking a role on a CW show is career suicide, or that ALL shows on The CW are full of people only hired because of their looks. Nina Dobrev has, on several occasions, pointed out she can act AND look pretty. During Season 2 of The Vampire Diaries, when the series was still firing on all cylinders and wasn't just a drama about love-triangles, many critics were actually praising how great Ian Somerhalder was that year as Damon Salvatore. I would bet that several actors from The Vampire Diaries, Arrow, and Hart of Dixie will have no problem finding work off The CW after their shows end.

The WB and The CW aren't the same network, which is why I needed to point out the flaw using Kreuk as an example, but I also feel it's a bit too early to tell what will happen to many actors on The CW given how young the network actually is, and that extends to the actors on The 100.
More+
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
Yup. I agree with all of that.

If we're going to look at their history in total, then a bunch of names came out of there.

Granted that was only a small % of the total, but that's in keeping with most shows. Not a lot of young actors "made it big" after the various sitcoms and shows over the years.
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
In fact the WB merged with UPN and BECAME THE FABULOUS CW! But really let's be honest the WB and the CW use the same corporate model. In fact One Tree Hill, Supernatural, 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, Smallville,and a few other all were originally WB series that unfortunately made the shift to the CW.

I will say that Michelle Williams really did break out. But again she also wasn't the sex appeal of the fabulous Dawson Creek's series... The real sex appeal of the show as Katie Holmes' who also broke out of the WB/CW Contract for indentured Servitude.

However, Keri Russell is back on the SMALL SCREEN in another cut-rate series for a minor cable player. Yes, I realize that FX is trying to push its way into the big time like AMC has been able to do for the better part of a decade now. However, "The Americans" ain't winning the hearts and minds of America like AMC's Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or The Walking Dead. And let's be honest if Keri Russell were pulling in roles like Michelle Williams has been for awhile now she would never be on FX playing Natasha to some Brother and Sister's gay son's Boris.

I'm glad you brought up Sarah Michelle Gellar... She is another poster child for the WB and CW hold on one's career... After a long absence from TV she returned with Ioan Rutherford (another poor bastard) to helm Dead Ringer into a diabolical teenage convoluted plot twist of career suicide. So that was her first failure in the past two years. The second came with Robin Williams trying to recapture the mighty presence of his Mork and Mindy days crossed with Mary Tyler Moore. That didn't even make past the Winter Break! So my guess is she will be at the helm of yet another CW classic this fall or very soon.

Oh sure you want to talk about her films: well lets be honest she really only had two hits as a star: Scream 2 and The Grudge (the second one is totally a waste of time) and then she went into obscurity making indie schlock fest one after another.

So, I'm pretty safe with my theory here so far.

Let's not talk about the train wreck of career that is Joshua Jackson... Good thing is girlfriend is still a viable commodity in Hollywood.

Dave-- Dave is going to be the last man standing when they make the Bones The Next Gen Sequel to it. He is going to be like William Shatner before T.J Hooker and the entire middle 80's to late 90's period where he just didn't matter until Boston Legal. However, speaking of TJ Hooker whatever happened to the guy that also played in Bachelor Party--- That makes me want to order a DONKEY SHOW! I wonder what is that special order-- I digress! The point is that once Bones dies Dave's viability does too.

As for the Vampire Dairies-- Nina Deborev better get on the stick and fast! Her viability is a fading commodity and she isn't exactly winning over any critics of note with the CW's VD! (I really like that... I shall now call it VD forever... Fire up the Clap Clipper Because He Comes CW's VD! Think Penicilian Will Cure It?)
More +
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
You are missing one of their new shows that is breaking the mold. 'Reign' is going to be the show that breaks this vicious cycle described by you. The show is the best looking, best written, best cast ('Arrow' comes closest but still is nowhere near the quality of the casting on 'Reign'). It is the finest program to exist on this network since the first time the WB was introduced. Its the first story I've seen from this garbage factory that treats the young women in its cast and its young female viewers with any degree of respect. (Again, Greg Berlanti and his crew are also trying to do this with their shows 'Arrow' and 'Tomorrow People'; 'Reign' is just doing a better job.) Adelaide Kane, who is portraying 'Mary Queen of Scots' and Megan Follows, who is playing 'Catherine de Medici' should be the first women, first actresses, from this network that will be in consideration for awards. This is not the last time the world is going to notice Ms. Kane or Ms. Follows who is having a career resurgence with this role. There are a lot of pretty people on 'Reign' but they are all very good actors and are getting better because of the quality of the scripts. The male from the cast that is doing the best work is Alan Van Sprang playing King Henry of France but the 'pretty' boys Toby Regbo and Torrence Coombs are also doing stand out work. This is the best product this network has ever produced and it has a lot of beautiful women in the cast that have no problem not being beautiful on screen. Katie Boland is gorgeous, but here she is playing the facially deformed love child of 'Catherine de Medici' and its a great part. Who knew a story about Mary's time in the French Court could be so good? I started watching late, considering mostly a similar argument to yours, and was shocked at the quality of this program and immediately rushed to legally and by any means necessary get caught up with past episodes.
More+
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
The greatest irony is that the CW is the creation of UPN and WB merging. And we all know that the WB was a Soap Opera channel. It had a few minor hits but basically even the critically acclaimed series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" was only a minor ratings hit. Where as UPN was statistically doing far better with series like Star Trek: Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise... I mean think about this for example 3.4-4.40million viewers were the average for Enterprise it's final season. That's about 2-3 times better than thing on CW today. So, my question is this why did the CW become a cesspool for WB's failed ideas?

UPN was having problems because it couldn't sell the same tired formula of Star Trek by Berman and Braga for yet another seven seasons of repeats as it had done with Voyager and DS 9 by the time Enterprise had rolled around. However, if so the UPN was still trying to develop shows for a more adult audience.

In contrast the WB from the start was fixated on what it called "hip-urban" viewers. So, we saw more shows with minorities as the primary focus: Wayne Bros, Sister-Sister, The Parent-'Hood'... Those were the primary hits of the 1990's for the WB. Then it finally got some hits with 7th Heaven, Buffy, and Angel. And when this occurred you start to see a big shift from the urban-hip viewer to the white middle class mainstream. And it's really interesting how you see all of sudden the WB starts to produce a ton of simple bland Caucasian-Middle Class American centric series like Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Supernatural and so on.

So at this point the CW has far less in common with the UPN network of its genesis but seems like a re-branded WB network. It has all the same values of the WB- focus on a youthful demographic from a mild class white America. Exclude anything that seems too adult so you won't find anything like Star Trek on it. Remove all unpleasant aspects of reality so you won't find any gripping dramas. And ultimately what we see is corporate business model that forces the television narrative into the three basic areas of CW Success: Good Looking White Girls and Boys, Teenage Love Triangles, and number three "THE ENDLESS PARTY"!

I have not seen Reign yet... But I'll pass on it.
More +
Flag
Apr 13, 2014
You really should give Reign a go, I had absolutely no hopes going in and actually cringed while reading the synopsis, but I was SO pleasantly surprised! It's hands down the best show The CW has had in years, it might even be the best one they've ever had (although I have very fond memories of watching the first two seasons of Dawson's Creek and Felicity as a teen, but granted they might just seem better due to my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses).

Anywhoo, where was I? Yes, Reign. I like it a lot, super pleasant surprise and despite being targetted towards the dreaded teen demographic it never dumbs itself down too much or underestimate the intelligence of the viewers. Casting is damn near perfect, it balances light and dark extremely well and the writing is superb. I'm one of the people who really liked Showtime's The Tudors and this show scratches the same itch for me.
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
To be completely honest I just don't see myself watching it. Now, I do see myself watching a lot more PBS Master Piece Theater...
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
I've personally got my snooze - coma sleep on the couch - shows. I also watch the great shows that require my full attention. I watch a couple of CW-shows, mainly for their ability to relax my brain. Im just annoyed over the vast amount of sociapathic violence without blood.
Flag
Apr 13, 2014
You know what show will keep asleep the best-- HANGAR 1 on the History Channel. I think I can do like maybe 10 or 20 minutes before I'm out cold! I love how the mufon flies are exactly the same as all the other UFO show's you've seen-- plus a little extra stuff that has never been seen before!
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
Yeah, the CW values looks over talent. But that could be said of the television medium as a whole. Look at soap operas, they were doing the same thing long before anyone even thought of CW.
Flag
Apr 13, 2014
Well, I think they need to get some added help from the likes of Madison Ivy and the gang!
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
Fun article, I loved it! Should the CW be torn to pieces by wild animals and it's cult of beautiful people, I say yes!! :-)

I must eat till I get sick off this unholy visual candy and afterward feel sorry for myself both bloated and seedy from overindulgence.

Flag
Apr 12, 2014
...coming soon to the CW next fall ... "Young Dionysus" the early adventures of Dionysus as he deals with teen angst, raves, drug addiction and hot maenads.
Flag
Apr 12, 2014
Did Dionysus ever get old? How About we call it "The Eternal Dionysus"???

What if we make Dionysus a perpetual Teenager... As all the other Olympians grew up and got jobs on Wall Street and in the Defense Sector in the 1980's Dionysus stayed in High School seducing teachers (male and female), maidens, and jocks alike while throwing the best parties on either coast of the UNITED STATES! We could Paris Hilton to play his sister Aphrodite-- (think of the fun we could have with one)... Besides she seems vacant and devoid of any real personality-- I think she would be a winner in a show like this. Finally we could have Zeus played by Bruce Boxlietner... He needs a job right?
Flag
Apr 13, 2014
This show is gold,

yes to perpetual teenager
yes to indiscriminate seduction
yes to parties (Paris Hilton obligatory)

and including Bruce Boxlietner dishing out occassional sage fatherly advice, pure gold!!! I feel like I've seen the first 3 episodes already. Perhaps Apollo can have an adjacent locker to Dionysus (and he's a bit of a jerk).

(Loved Bruce in Scarecrow and Mrs King, when will they bring back wood pannelling on station wagons?)
Flag
Apr 14, 2014
E.G.

or

These two videos represent what basically seasons 1-3 and 4-7 easily!
Flag
Apr 13, 2014
When it is cool to say Woodie in reference to your vehicle again in public.

We could also use a lot of ex-adult film stars.... If you've seen any popular music video from any pop-star you've seen every season in compressed form already.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members