The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo

ABC (ended 1985)

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo Fan Reviews (21)

7.7
  • Good show

Good show, but not much continuity.
  • Really?

3.5
    The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo sounds good, but it falls flat in every way. Just look at the characters: You've got the typical Scooby, Shaggy, and Daphne, you have the annoying Scrappy Doo, and and a new, equally annoying character named Flim Flam. Where are Fred and Velma? Why replace 2 classic characters with two mistakes? Scrappy never should have gotten introduced into the Scooby universe. So, the final package is a watered down program to make Scooby fans angry. Stick with the original or What's New Scooby Doo.
  • The idea sounds really good, but the producers wasted the potential.

Scooby Doo always followed the same format when a new show about it was created, but at one point there was a new attempt that sounded great, but failed to hold its promise, and it was The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. The show is about Scooby, Shaggy, Daphne, Scrappy, and a new character named Film Flam going around the world trying to catch ghosts from a chest that Scooby accidentally opened. They are given advice as to where the ghosts are by a person named Vincent Van Ghoul, voiced by Vincent Price, and they all have to work together to stop the ghosts from taking over the world. Now I love the idea, and is a nice change of pace from the format. This show was trying to go for the Ghostbusters format with the catching ghosts, but it comes up very short in almost every aspect. For a show that claims there are 13 ghosts it lies completely. There are clearly more than 13 ghosts that escaped from the chest. In one episode the gang went on a ghost ship that was full of ghosts, so there are indeed more than 13 ghosts that escaped from the chest, and even the opening titles make it look like more than 13 ghosts escaped. Dropping Fred and Velma out of this show was a big mistake. 2 classic characters are replaced by two annoying characters, Scrappy Doo and Film Flam. Scrappy Doo is easily one of the worst characters to be introduced into the Scooby Doo franchise. Always going on about Puppy Power, or being very annoying he was just a nuisance, and was irritating. Film Flam though is so bad he makes Scrappy Doo look almost good. Film Flam is extremely annoying in every sense of the word. He constantly does these gags or other funny stuff that comes off as very bad, and unfunny. Nothing about him is interesting in the least but, and is always looking for a way to make money. Also where is this kid's parents? We don;t learn anything about him at all. Where his parents are, or where he came from, and anything that is basic character development. Along the way the gang is hounded at by two ghosts named Weird, and Boog. They are like comedy relief, and to be honest they are pretty good at it, and seem to be the only characters beside Scooby and Shaggy giving me a laugh. Vincent Van Ghoul was also great, and the best new character to be introduced into the franchise. Always being cunning, and could have funny moments as well. The stories are OK, and each one fits the theme of the ghost that escaped like going into a TV movie, or a circus that is evil on the inside, and a ship of ghosts. The artwork is good in this show with the ghost designs looking creative, and inspired, and the animation is smooth, but repetitive sometimes. This show had everything that could have made it an excellent addition to the franchise. It had a great premise, and what happened? They threw that opportunity away. This show isn't the worst of the franchise, but this show had wasted good potential, and it could have been so much more.
  • Can anyone name the 13 ghosts in The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo

Good show but I cannot find the 13 Ghosts. Can anyone name them? I have tryed and come up with only 10 or 11 not counting the two who got the gang to open the box at the start. If anyone can name them it would be very helpful. Thanks for your help.
  • I Love Scooby and Vincent, What a great pair..Now give me the DVD's!

This series may not have gone on for long but what they did give us was great.
    Vincent Price is without doubt one of the best cartoon voice over actors ever, Not to mention great horror actors of his time plus He really seemed to enjoy his role.
    Not really my Favorite Scooby Doo series but it is very much worth watching,.
    It also was fun to see it being Scooby and Shaggy with a few others tossed in.
    I don’t think any other Scooby series will be like this, the voice acting and the story lines are among the best, it was very different and different in a good way.
    Why is it not the best? It didn’t run very long (one season) but they laid it out to be the “13” ghost of Scooby doo, and they did so with only 13 episodes, So I cant really be mad at that.
    Some times you just can’t beat the first time around (the first Scooby doo series will always be the best)
    I do wonder if it could have been as great without Vincent Price….I do know I want the DVD’s now!
  • This was one of my favorite scooby series

I wish it would have lated longer. Vincent Price was just amazing in it. The whole concept that they were going after real ghosts was great. Cartoon network used to show reruns alot. What happened? I think this is the best scooby series of all of them (scooby movies was cool too).

I dont think they could have gotten a better host. Vincent Price was the perfect host for it. He has that mysteriousness about him thats perfect for scooby doo.

The cool thing was they finally used characters other than Shaggy and scooby for the special. (Did you ever notice that most of the movies are mostly based around shaggy and scooby?)
  • The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo was by far the worst Scooby Doo series. Not having the complete gang completely ruined this show. No wonder it did so badly in ratings.

I didn't enjoy watching the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo at all. I can't even imagine what Scooby Doo fans in the '70s thought when this HORRIBLE show originally aired. "They ruined it!" comes to mind. The writers really did ruin it. The show was nothing without Fred and Velma, especially Velma. Thank goodness the wonderful "Pup Named Scooby Doo" and "What's New Scooby Doo?" were so much better. It would've been horrid for Scooby Doo to end on this note!
  • I thought The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo was a very good show. It should have run longer on ABC. It had a very unique and interesting storyline. It also had new main characters who I thought were great additions to the show. This show is awesome.

I don't know why this incarnation of Scooby-Doo was the least popular. I thought that this incarnation was very interesting and unique. It was much different from the original storyline, in which there is a person in a ghost or monster costume that is scaring everyone and the gang must solve the mystery and unmask the ghoul. In this show, the ghosts and monsters are real. Also, there are two new main characters in the show, who are Vincent van Ghoul and Flim-Flam who I think were great additions. I really wish that ABC had let the show stay on the air longer. It is a really good show. I love the intro to it and the show in general is just hilarious. By the way, The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo airs on Boomerang on Saturdays and Sundays at 10am if you have the network on your cable provider.

It is a great show. I'm disappointed that it only lasted 13 episodes.
  • Scooby Doo'S 13 Ghosts

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo is about the adventures of Scooby Doo, Shaggy Rogers, Daphne Blake, and Scrappy-Doo chasing after more mysteries. Now they are joined by a magnificent warlock called Vincent Van Ghoul, who is a cartoon caricature of Vincent Price (who also provides the voice), and a mischievous boy named Flim-Flam. Together they have to catch 13 ghosts and put them in a magical "Chest of Demons" that Scooby and Shaggy were tricked into opening by two sneaky ghosts named Weerd and Bogel. This was the last cartoon series that the original Scooby-Doo gang (minus Fred and Velma) appeared in for nearly 20 years. In 1988, the entire gang returned to TV as children in A Pup Named Scooby Doo, but they wouldn't resurface again weekly in their adult form until 2002 in What's New Scooby-Doo?.
  • Not that impressive

3.7
    One universal truth when it comes to children's prgramming is that there will always be some sort of Scooby Doo program either on television or in the works somewhere. I remember this one from when I was a kid. I honestly feel that it is one of the worst incarnations. I always hated Scrappy Doo, and then you add the little Oriental kid in the mix and it just got worse. I don't remember much of what this show was about other than they roamed the world trying to catch ghosts and put them back in a box. I do remember a couple of ghosts that followed Scooby and the gang around and served as comic relief.
  • Whats so bad about it?

I like The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo its a fun show. Its about Shaggy Scooby-doo Daphne Scrappy and a young boy(for get his name). And they unlock a chest that opens ghost into the world then the gang has to stop them. And get them locked back into the chest one by one again. It was a fun show and it should get more credit than it gets. I watched when I was like younger and I would watch it again if it came on. But I don't see it coming back any on tv in reruns anytime soon. But I will rate The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo a 9.4!
  • One of the best Scooby Doo shows.

Scooby doo has had so many shows over the years it isn\'t funny. This one is a great one and shouldn\'t be missed by Scooby fans.

It was well written, the writers allowed each story just enough of different elements to make it all work and kept it in line with all of Scooby\'s other shows.

The voice actors were the same as most of the other shows, or for the most part sounded the same, and did just as good a job as they usually do.

Overall this Scooby show was very good, one of the best and deserves a look.
  • Wished it had lasted a little longer.

I really loved this version of Scooby Doo, even if Flim Flam was possibly the most annoying cartoon character of the time. I couldn't stand the little bugger. lol But who couldn't love a ghost filled cartoon that featured the King of Horror himself? Vincent Price made this cartoon for me. He made it cool, yet creepy enough to keep my attention and still keep it after all this time.
    I think if it had been handled a bit better, and if they had gotten rid of Flim Flam this show would have lasted a lot longer than one season.
  • The best thing with the scooby doo name.

The 13 ghost of Scooby Doo has to be my favorite thing from the Scooby Doo series. I only wish it had more than 13 episodes since they didn\'t caught all of the 13 ghosts. I love the fact that they were fighting against really ghosts. The ghosts usually had some type of cool powers. The new characters, Vincent Van Ghoul and Flim-Flam, were a nice addition. It showed that Daphene had some skill in ghost hunting. Scappy seem like he final had a good friend in Flim-Flam.

It also proves that ghost could be caught without the gang splitting up and without Velma's genius.
  • The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo

This is one of the most classic cartoons I have ever seen. I like all versions of Scooby Doo they are all equally as funny as one another. I really like it a lot it is funny and entertaining and you can really laugh at it. This show is hillarious.
  • A good show....It has scooby in!

Although most people will think it was rubbish and should never be shown again,i believe if it wasen't for the annoying 'Flan' and scrappy it would be a great hit. The show features the legendery Scooby Doo, hated by some loved by most and in my mind he is brillant! The idea of crime fighting is over but ghost hunting is just fabulous when done by scooby. The Demon Chest is a good name for the time and the ideas of ghost are good. You have to admit if you havent seen over scooby doos and your young you would enjoy it. The magic is still there for scooby even if this isent his best work!
  • Killed Scooby-Doo

0.0
    13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo was to the Scooby-Doo franchise what Enterprise was to Star Trek. A horrible mockery of everything that made Scooby-Doo such a great show. Besides having two horrible characters (Scrappy and Flem-Flam) it horribly paraodied B-list movies. The show was a waste time and many people that worked on it refuse to acknowledge the show to its day. In fact many people jumped ship to form Warner Bros. animation after the show canceled. 13 Ghosts was not a real Scooby-Doo show, and it stands out as the token, campy over the top cartoon of the eighties.
  • It was okay!

I used to watch this show when i was younger and also a MAJOR scooby doo fan. If there was a scooby doo show i would probably have watched it. Sadly i am older and it does not have the same effect when i see it which is when my brother watches it. It was okay as i remember and there are alot of people currently dissing it. It wasnt all that bad and lived up to my expectations. It was a show including ghosts that is not scary for them and i think that this would be great for a kid to watch!
  • The 13 Ghosts WAS different from all the other Scooby Doo series, but that’s what made it so great in my opinion.

The 13 Ghost of Scooby Doo was most likely my favorite Scooby Doo series. There were no "villains in costumes" or "floating wire trick," and that’s why many people didn't like it. The 13 Ghosts WAS different from all the other Scooby Doo series, but that’s what made it so great in my opinion. How many times have you watched Scooby Doo and said "Its just another villain in a costume?" Well, not a single time for this series.

I really enjoyed this show as a kid, and wish I could watch it again. I've seen is sparsely on Boomerang, but on very rare occasions.

This is an up-in-the-air show. Many Scooby fans love it and many loathe it, it's all up to your tastes. If you like the predictable villains angle, this show might not be for you.
  • Unfairly bashed because it's different. This series made me a lifelong Scooby fan... Where's the DVD set?

What I like about this series is that it's completely different from all of the rest of the incarnations of Scooby-Doo. The ghosts were real, the parodies were plenty -- and it boasts an animated Vincent Price in every episode (the latter being enough to make me watch)! While it still pandered to the core audience of children, this was the first series that had some humour that adults could enjoy as well (Scooby Doo quits the gang and is encouraged to come back by President Reagan -- that wasn't your standard Scooby-Doo/'80s-cartoon gag).

No, it wasn't perfect. Still absent were Fred and Velma, and still present was Scrappy (thankfully, his role was small in this, his final series). Some have complained about Flim-Flam, though I personally found him to be a clever Artful-Dodger-type character, and Bogel and Weerd were good comic relief. My only other complaint about the show is the quality of the animation. While the quality had steadily been declining since "The Scooby-Doo Show," it had hit an all time low for this series, as was standard in the mass-produced mid-80s cartoons. Thankfully, this was rectified when the charming "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" began airing a few years later.

Granted, perhaps I am biased. The very first TV show I ever recorded was the first episode of this series, back in September of '85 (it's frightening that it's now been 20 years). I always liked Scooby, but I think this show is solely responsible for making me a fan for life -- I'm rarely seen without my "Scooby Snacks" ballcap, which my best friend always antagonizes me about (it's my "very gay hat"), and right now I'm also wearing a T-shirt with Scooby on it. Perhaps that's just pathetic though...
  • The 13 reasons why not to watch Scooby-Doo.

I am not a fan of Scooby-Doo, but even die-hard fans will hate this series. It is the worst of all the Scooby-Doo series for many reasons. One of them is because it has Scrappy-Doo. Another reason is because it strays away from the Scooby-Doo formula for a new, annoying series. Although the series, A Puppy Named Scoopy-Doo, has the worst artwork and over-the-top stupidity, The 13 Ghosts of Scoopy-Doo has the worst plots, the most annoying voice acting, and is just plain mind numbing. If you like Scooby-Doo, I pity you. Also, you must avoid this series at all cost. Trust me on this.