The 4400

Gone (2)

Aired Unknown Jul 02, 2006 on USA

• Gone (2)

Gone (2) was a perfect episode of The 4400 and followed up very well with the previous episode. I enjoyed watching this episode as Tom discovers a mysterious yet familiar girl in Alana's illusion world. A woman claiming to be Maia's sister makes an appearance, but is not who she seems. I thought it was interesting how Shawn and Richard finally came together for the 4400 center, and Isabelle grows more confident of herself. Richard tries to sway Isabelle to stop sleeping with Shawn who agreed, but Isabelle is not ready for the relationship to end and makes it known. It was neat in the one scene before Isabelle tells Shawn she is not ready to end it, they both match each other. It was nice to learn more about the people from the future. Shawn pays the price for betraying the Nova Group. I look forward to watching the next episode of The 4400!!!!!!!
  • Inconsistent and illogical storyline.

Huh? I don't get it. The way that Tom contacted the future humans was to attempt to kill himself - he was then whisked away to the future, unharmed. Does this mean he is being constantly monitored from the future? Why do they care if he kills himself or not?
    Also, why do the characters have memories of Maia? Their memories were not erased by the future humans - their memories of Maia never existed because the Maia they knew was sent into the distant past. They, therefore, never even knew Maia.
    This could have been an incredibly satisfying story (it sure started out that way in part 1). Instead, it degenerated into an inconsistent and illogical disappointment.
  • Tom manages to convince the people from the future to return the lost children.

Another exciting ending to an episode.

While all these different time lines and dream realities are getting slightly difficult to keep track off, Tom reuniting Diana and Maia was heart-warming to see. It will be very interesting to see what he will do about this task given to him. Will he live up to his end of the bargain and kill Isabelle or will he try to find a way round it knowing that it endangers the future??

I did not like Isabelle attacking Richard, at times it seems like Matthew is controlling her, which contradicts the last two episodes but matches earlier episodes.

I hope Shawn will be OK.
  • Tom and Diana realise there is a little girl hunting them, therefore they try to find out who the little girl is, while Isabelle is causing problem in the 4400 centre

This second part of gone; really show a great connection between the Diana and Maia. No matter how power the future people have, they manage to wipe out everything about the 4400 children who were taken and put back further in the past to change the future. The connection between Diana and Maia is too stronger, that Diana is being haut by Maia’s memory. When Diana discover that she have a daughter in the alternate reality, the flash back memory really create an emotional effect. The scene itself is very touching, after Diana found out about her missing child, she is willing to die in the dream world with her daughter, and tom show a great friendship by willing to scarifies himself to get Maia back. This part was very good, it really shows no matter how different people may be to each other, the connection can still be form and will be unbreakable, and somewhere the humanity is still inside of us. And it is worth saving for.
  • Part two unfolds...

Matthew: If the NOVA group wants to hurt you Shawn, they'll find a way to do it.
    Shawn: Well that's great Matthew, thanks for the pep talk.

The second part of the exciting yet implausible Gone story.
    Suicide, dream sequences and a faceless Maia all feature in this tale that switches location nearly every scene. The Maia-related scenes are interspersed with some frankly dull ones involved with Shawn, Richard and Matthew at the 4400 Centre. i think so far this series, the stories have become a lot slower and "bogged" down with ongoing storylines. Conchita Campbell was great in this though.
  • Too much switching between timelines; too much fantasy. The whole story doesn't seem real anymore.

6.8
    'The 4400' is a TV show the most of us thought had a good story. People are taken from their homes by "the future" and somewhere in 2002 (?), they are being placed back into "the past". This story could be believed by most of us.
    Even talking to the future like what happened in the first Season, when Tom talked through Kyle's body to someone from the future, was ok for me.

But now they want us to believe that when you walk into a home, you step into the future and that if one person's mind gets 'resetted', other people suddenly forget about you and even pictures taken from you get changed.
    And then to make it even worse... You can talk to the future, make deals with it and asif someone pressed a button, people suddenly remember the person which they forgot about!

• Creativity and serialization trumps predictability

As expected, the second half of the story hinges on the idea that Tom and Diana would somehow remember Maia, despite the best efforts of the “future humanity” to erase her from that part of the timeline. Considering how predictable that plot element is, the writers had an uphill battle to fight. I find it interesting that they chose to address the cliché by not really addressing it. Tom and Diana slowly but surely came to remember Maia, and the hows and whys were glossed over in favor of other story elements.

On the other hand, it plays nicely into the idea that the “future humanity” is dealing with interference from a rival faction. This was also a bit predictable, but it fits the complexity of the “4400 Universe”. It seems that every represented population (humanity, 4400, “future humanity”) has a “good” side and a “bad” side, and it’s very difficult to know who fits into which category.

The idea appears to be this: the 4400 were sent back to prevent some threat to humanity by one faction, while another apparently managed to “seed” Lily with Isabelle. Isabelle is now apparently interfering with the purpose of the 4400, so the 4400 Faction chose to move some of the 4400 in the timeline to compensate. The only other alternative is to eliminate Isabelle altogether and hope that the damage hasn’t been done. All assuming, of course, that this is a correct interpretation of what has been revealed.

For instance, any information about the “future humanity” must be taken with a grain of salt. If one faction could “seed” the timeline with a counter-agent of some kind, be it Isabelle or Matthew (my current pet theory), then how can it be assumed that the faction that keeps manipulating Tom is actually the same one that sent back the 4400 in the first place? After all, people lie, especially when they are afraid that their opponents might sound more convincing. We have no idea if the Borg Queen was being honest or spinning information to her own ends.

I wonder how far the writers will take this idea of Tom as “protected”. In a lot of ways, he could become reckless, always assuming that the “future humanity” would save him if he were really in danger. After all, this is a man who was willing to attempt suicide under the assumption that he wouldn’t be allowed to die. That could really go into some dark territory, especially if things go badly with Alana and/or Kyle.

Richard’s reaction to the news that Shawn is sleeping with Isabelle is quite interesting. Did Richard refuse to spare Shawn because of the moral imperative to resist terrorism, or was there a personal component as well? Whatever the case, Shawn is in no shape to run anything after this latest attack. Just how long is that mental illness going to last? For that matter, what happens if Isabelle discovers that Shawn suffered because of a decision her father made?

After all, Isabelle already lost her head a bit and went Dark Phoenix on him in full view of the public (wearing dark colors, as predicted!), and that was just for messing with her sex life. And didn’t Matthew look enormously pleased at that display of power and instability? That plays into my growing suspicion that Matthew comes from the faction that sent Isabelle into the past in the first place.

Despite the predictable elements, there was enough happening in this episode to keep the story from being drowned in cliché. (Contrast this to the “Dead Zone” episode that aired the same night, which was horribly predictable and relied on nothing but idiotic plot contrivances.) It’s the serialized elements and the complications afforded by that format that keep the series from running aground, and it looks like that will continue through the rest of the season. I can’t help but be pleased!

(As a sidenote: I also have a podcast associated with my various reviews called “Dispatches from Tuzenor”. Recent episodes cover the “The 4400”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://entil2001.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • Why is this a tearjerker? Because the creators of the show had a decent storyline going. Minimally plausible, yet acceptable by the majority of their audience as decent science fiction. This episode doesn't even require thinking to realize it's stupidity.

2.7
    The show is about 4400 abductees from different times and places around the world. These abductees, as you must already know, are returned to our time all at once, packed with new and improved super powers, in order to avert the timeline from reaching some kind of doomsday-type catastrophe.

Plausible? Not really. People with a time machine and the technology to grant their patients superhuman abilities can probably do a lot more in order to prevent catastrophe than hand pick a bunch of people between the 1950s and the 2000s, give them random powers and send them back in a large ball of light, hoping they had figured out how each of their abductees would run his life post-return. As "Maia's Sister" (whoever she is) said today, there are too many variables to predict. It isn't like rolling a marble on the floor and calculating where it'll end up.

The writers must have been really tired of the series not really leading up to anything that they felt the need to start the series of with a couple of bangs.
    First up we have Isabelle growing up by about 20 years and Lilly dying (good riddance).
    Then we have the rest of the 4400 getting new abilities, stopped beforehand by the Promicin Inhibitor (this is a twist I rather liked).
    In this episode, they took another leap and gave us a look into the future.

Now here's a tip to anyone who is planning a show based on time travel, KEEP IT SIMPLE. Shows about time travel are always riddled with plot holes, since people that have the ability to travel through time have limitless options. Taking 4400 people and putting them in a certain stage in the timeline seems like an over complicated means to an end when you can get anyone from any place in time to any other place in time. The viewers of the show, though, are willing to accept this, because the show is fun to watch and we'd rather not ruin it for ourselves by actually trying to make sense out of it. But this episode makes that impossible for me.

People in the futures, apparently, do not only have the power to create superpowers among their patients and the power to travel through time and take others through time aswell - No, they also have the power to erase thoughts. Too bad they don't have the power of logic.
    Instead of taking Maia back from when they first put her in that big ball of light (See: Time travel), they decide that the simpler thing to do would be to take a 'The Forgotten' style approach and taking her from a couple of years after she was put back, erasing her memory and photoshopping her out of every photo and every mind that she ever touched, leaving Diana's photo of "Me and a tree".
    Later on, while searching for Maia, it turns out that the other kids and she are no longer on the list of 4400, kind of ruining the whole "4400" nickname, but that's not on the top of my plothole list.

I won't go into all of the mistakes that the writers have in their scripts, but to put it shortly: This series was far fetched. It handled the time travel idea poorly so far, and today it just completely ruined itself for me, as a viewer. The slight remainder of logic that the mystery behind the catastrophe let it hold on to was overshadowed by the overly obvious implications of everything that happened in these last two episodes concerning Maia and future-lady. They had a decent show on their hands and they just had to riddle it full of plotholes. I'll still watch the show, overpowered by my addiction to moving pictures, but I refuse to enjoy it in the future, because the future, according to the show, makes no sense.

-Cynic out
  • The most eventful episode I can remember.

Isabelle attacks her own father. This shows how evil she really can be. Anyone who stands in the way of what she wants is in danger. She still has the ego-centric nature of a child, just with much more dangerous tantrums. Now that they have stated there are others, against the 4400 saving the world, who are they? Now Tom has to kill Isabelle? This won't be easy. Maia and the others were worth it though. I am glad that Dianna was reunited with her little girl. I hope the Nova group does not succeed in killing Sean. I believe that Matthew would be quite pleased if they did succeed.
  • flat out the best episode of 4400 I have ever seen ... this is one of the eps you'll always remember

I have a hard time figuring out how to describe what happened, 'cause there's just too much. From Diana lying in coma, Tom jumping off a bridge with a rope around his neck, Richard getting a heart attack, Maia dying of a disease, Sean cutting in his own arm ... add some socking revelations told at the end of the episode and you have a mix that probably none other show can present in a single eps.

You have to see this one for yourself, I could hardly wait after gone-part 1, but I never thougth it could get that good. If this eps doesn't let you catch the magic of the 4400, you won't ever catch it. Plain perfect, 10+
  • Another great installment. Plots within plot's alway's leaves the mind getting answer's yet keeping the suspence level nice and high.

Isabelle beginning to come into her own good or bad she can still swing either way. only question is. Is she the real bad or is she a pawn for now.
    the renegade 4400's are they sent by this rival faction of the future or the so called good 4400's of the future?
    this and more questions is what this episode is for me. I like the way they don\'t quite close the door's on anything always leaving it open to branch in a new direction. As for this episode being very haywire Nah I follow'd it saw where they were going with it and it was just enough to keep the mind going for next week the question remain's "who is it"
    All in all an enjoyable watch.
    (Tapping table waiting for next week's episode)
  • Far Fetched, Ridiculous and lots of plot holes. But still great to watch.

To be honest, I dont quite understand what the hell happened in this episode. So im going to summerise what I think happened.

The people from the future erase the memory of 5 children from people who cared about them.

They then took them futher into the past to do a job.

The memory erase didnt quite work and Tom, Diana etc remembered Maia.

Diana then keeps herself in Alanas pretend world with Maia.

Tom decides to kill himself but the future people save him?

The future people tell him they have an enemy that has sent something evil with the 4400 - Isabelle and that they took the 5 children to counter it - How??? But it didnt work.

The only way to get the children back is for Tom to kill isabelle with what they gave Tom.

Maia and the other children are back and Diana is awakended.

Ok I take back that I dont understand the episode. Writing everything down helps. Well I throughly enjoyed the episode and it proves the writers are not afraid to advance the main plot. It is refreshing to watch a show like this when you watch Lost all year round and get no answers or advancement in plot. Well I wonder when Tom will kill Isabelle and will he succeed? Im guessing this is all setting up the finale.

Anyone notice the parallels between Phoenix from X-men and Isabelle.
  • the plot logic flies out of the window ... gets sent back in time like it never existed ... and then returned to the present ...

I'm at a loss as to where to begin with this episode. The writer's mess around with "time" but have no consideration for even basic logic.

Maia and the children never existed in the present. So why are there still 4400 of them? Who replaced the children who never existed in the present? What happened to the replacements when the kids got sent back?

Maia is sent back in time to alter the future for the better, but dies at age 25 before she can do anything. For the people in the future it's their history, why didn't they check what would happen to her and realise it was a bit pointless? The NTAC team could do it and they use "old technology."

The present is still exactly the same throughout the episode. Very little has changed despite Maia never having existed. Oh and the small facts that people have been using artificial petroleum for 90 years, and ... People. Live. On. The. Moon.

Maia got sent back to the past and nobody could remember her ... everyone gets sent back to the present and the 4400 influence from the 1800s is undone. So how is it that Diana is still in hospital? They never saw Maia's 1800s diary entry since Maia was never in the past to write it. How did the events play out the same? They never saw proof Maia existed to lead them to the concluding events.

If the memories of Tom and Diana have been left intact then they will still remember a history of moon colonies and an 80 year old artificial gasoline industry. If their memories have been "rearranged" again for the new timeline, then why does Tom remember the kids were erased from his history and why Diana is in the hospital?

And meanwhile despite the disappearance/memory wipe/alternate timeline of moon colonies and fake gasoline ... the Isabelle and Shaun storyline continues exactly as it did the previous week.

It's no surprise the future is in such a mess. Those that control the time machine keep messing around with history, making up new timelines and altering the memories of people. And they have no idea what they are doing. A bit like the writers.

This was a good show. In the past.
  • Tom and Diana continue to search for the missing 4400 children who were kidnapped by a misterious person.

I really loved this episode of the 4400! It was the best! I\'ll admit that a few of the scenes in the episode did make me cry, but hey? This makes for some great tv though. I didn\'t think that Tom would ever find Maia, or the other missing kids. The episode really had me going there for a second. Oh and when Diana got stuck in that dream world, that scared me, I didn\'t think she was going to come out of it. I think what scares me is that Tom has to kill Isabelle.