The 4400

USA (ended 2007)

walrus_8463

The 4400 Fan Reviews page 2 of 13

• Underrated.

This was a show which paved way for the likes of Heroes, only - as some have said previously - more original and with better actors (generally speaking, not all of them obviously).

I also have agree with what a reviewer previously said about characters like Tom Baldwin - who was a nancy-pansy most of the time instead of someone with enough of a badass side IMO -, the show's moral compass which was a bit too girly at times and the under usage of the 4400's powers vs. just a slight bit too much talking.

A possible explanation is that it's not like they had a huge budget and were a major top 5 show. They weren't and they had limits.

All in all, they still did a much better show than Heroes with much less dough. It's all about the story and these guys had it.
  • I still miss it! an amazing show

Sigh the 4400 was a great show. I miss it. Especially now it is summer again. I wish they'd do a mini series and wrap up the dangling threads that were left when the shut it down before its time. The show was stylish, well acted, and well filmed. It had an interesting premise with all these people arriving inexplicably back to the present, having disappeared at various points through history. One of my favourite characters was Maia who disappeared in 1946. When she reappeared in the present with the other 4400, she like all of them had a special talent and hers was the ability to see into the future. Tom Baldwin, the lead was a great character too. I still don't understand why they canceled it. :-(
  • A place in time

These 4400 men, women, and children, who have disappeared from all different times - ranging from the 1930s until recently - are all returned at once. But to make it even more interesting, they are returned with different powers bestowed upon them. Some characters are good, and do good things with their power, some are evil. The show is brilliant, complete and amazingly written, with suspense and fast pacing, and everything so well thought-out it's pleasure to watch. The writers of "The 4400" handle the show's arcs well. Through the mythos they've created and continue to extend each week, they treat their viewers with a respect that most of us aren't used to seeing.
  • 4400 missing people reappear when a comet hits earth and that is where it all kicks off.

Why oh why did they cancel ANOTHER brilliant show? The 4400 was really good, it told the tale of 4400 people who gained strange powers when they were 'kidnapped' and none of them have aged even though some were taken decades gone by. Long story short it turns out these 'kidnappers' are people from our own future but I won't go too far into it. This show was doing well with fans and then they had to go and dump it down the toilet like all the other awesome shows out there! It was really sci-fi which I love and had a fair bit of action mixed in which I have to say topped it right off to make it awesome. Everyone should watch if they want a good show thats worth their while.
  • Cancelled before its time; this show had quality and depth. It was probably one of the best shows of 2004 until it was unnecessarily cancelled 4 seasons later.

The show follows the journey of 4400 people, who mysteriously vanished from different points in time, and reappeared in a ball of light over Highland Beach. Ripped from their time and home, these people at first glimpse looked normal. However, soon the government discovered they had special gifts.
    Joel Gretsch [who plays Agent Tom Baldwin] and Jacqueline McKenzie [Agent Diana Skouris] have their lives twisted by the sudden reappearance of these 4400 people and are thrown in the middle, as Homeland Security assigns them to investigate.
    René Echevarria, who is known for his writing in Medium, Star Trek Deep Space 9 [Covenant] and The Next Generation [I, Borg], created the show. Even though he only wrote the pilot, his influence is seen throughout the show, as he was also one of the producers responsible for the show.
    The writing of the show is excellent and the actors do a wonderful job, even the younger ones. Some of the director's choices in some episodes may seem poor, but the show more than makes up with the excellent portrayal of characters and the strong cliffhangers gave the show its edge.
    I was upset the show was cancelled prematurely when other less than worthy shows are still on the air. However, the final episode was so powerful, you would want to watch the series over and over again
  • Much Like Heroes But Better Actors!

This show is great on so many levels, but its flaws are obvious. Its easy to see why this great show went down. The 4400 has a very dynamic appeal to it. The power use/special effects are excellent. The characters feel very real and the acting is believable. Plot twists were great and the realistic turn of events was even better. The show gives you a good sense of the desperation and urgency the 4400 experience. The villains are menacing, illusive, manipulative, and secretive making them another great piece to this show that are so lacking in many others. The 4400's abilities fit well with their psyches nicely adding another nice touch to show. Some of the things that really killed this show were Tom Baldwin, one of the most annoying and mentally challenged characters I've seen. Having an arrogant, annoying, and clueless federal agent is bad enough, but to make him one of the main good guys that the story revolves and the shows resident moral compass was unbearable. There was way too much dialog and character thought and not enough awesome usage of their powers. Another really bad point was that all the really powerful characters have mental powers that aren't much to look at and usually don't use their powers much. For a bunch of people enhanced from the future to change events in the somewhat recent past the 4400 aren't very active. Most of the 4400 just go and resume what they did before they were taken and use their abilities sparingly and in many ways that just don't really seem important. All in all a great show that got stuck in first gear and never adapted to be something more.
  • Fresh and new, something I hadn't seen rolled out time and time again.

The 4400 had an original concept and wasn't your average cop/hospital/detective type of show that gets rolled out season after season with a new cast. This show delved into the ideas and fantasies we all have about becoming more than what we are. Having special abilities and powers is alluring and living vicariously through the 4400 and those who took promicin shots was pure fun. You could see the good, the bad and the ugly. Not every ability was a good one, some were disastrous. The shot had a 50% chance of killing you if you took it. And then there were the original 4400 and what they were trying to do, build, preserve and fight.

This was such a fun show and it got better every season. The fourth season brought things together and I could see it only improving and getting more deliciously complex. Too bad it was cancelled. That's the hallmark of a great show these days, though. Most people just want their House or ER or NYPD Blue/CSI's. The 4400 is remembered as truly enjoyable with bits of mystery, action, suspense, sci-fi and adventure all in one show.
  • Used to be one of my favorite ones.

This show just starts in a big way and the as the story gets more complex, we begin to realize the 'real deal' behind they're kidnapings. What i found interesting was how the characters had to cope with after they got back, especially those who've been away for a long time. Alliances are made due to the people's discomfort with having to live next door to the returnees who have a supernatural ability. The thing that brought back the flare o the show, was revealing the real reason behind the kidnapings of the 4400. I think that it has more to offer if it keep airing, so just to say:"the best of luck"!
  • Interesting show - should be continue...

I don't know why some shows have to finish when there are so many fans that like it. 4400 could be a film on cinema and I'm sure it will be a success.
    The show is about 4400 people that disappear in different parts of the world and in different time. In fact they are abducted and one day they returned together in a big light. They came back with the same age when they disappear but with special abilities. They don't remember what happened in this time they were out and in some cases they returned so many years after, that they didn't have a friend or relative alive anymore.
    That abduction was explained that people from future (it can be people from another planet?) came back to abduct some people and prepare them to make the world a better place to live.
  • This is an amazing show. Never done before. I absolutely adore heroes but even so the idea behind is partially following the 4400 concept. Return the 4400 to the world, again.

I always wanted to leave a message of some kind after this amazing show was cut off but never came to terms with it. I think the 4400 story isn't finished.. Doh! we fans all know that. Why? getting too real, is it? giving new age ideas to the general public is pretty hard though each time more people are getting aquainted and open their hearts and imagination to a world yet to be seen, yet to be felt. We have such "advanced" means for communication, it seems certain people don't want the word to get out. The world is changing now and tremendous exciting new things will we have to face. Shows like this give us a glimpse of "what if" with future events? It's about time to produce something like 2 movies made for TV to finalize this show. Fans from all places, let's get together one last time - who keeps shows alive? we collectively do. The lips of wisdom are sealed except for the ears of understanding.
  • Series began with a bang, wore out its welcome, and left the airwaves without tidying things up.

The 4400 started as a mini-series with more inherent promise than any show I've seen on TV. After the quick and revealing 6-episode story arch of the first season, the show began to settle into the longer season format with mixed results. Although, there were some great ideas and outstanding individual episodes, the series took endless detours in an apparent attempt to stretch out series mysteries. The show lasted as long as it needed to but was canceled before any lingering questions were answered. Were the writers too ambitious? Did the story warrant its length? Could the show have finished with a bang with one more season, or better yet, a concluding 6-episode mini-series? It will be interesting to see how the show is remembered or if it is remembered at all.
  • Awesome gutted it was cancelled

4400 people are abducted over a number of years and then one day all returned together at the same location , the returnees all then develop certain abilities and the main reason for this is to make the world a better place but not everyone believes this and the returnees are in danger from those who would like to see this not succeed , one of the returnees uncles is a government agent placed to work with and investigate the 4400 , with each passing season the show grows darker and darker but this is a good thing , the show is awesome and only critisim i would have is due to the show being cancelled there was never really a proper ending so with the way other shows are going could a TV movie be a possibility to provide full closure on this fantastic story or will whats been given have to suffice. Worry not this show is amazing and anyone who watches this will not be disappointed.

Ps - Given the timing of this show the creators of Heroes may have tried to change their storyline a bit people who gain special abilities and the main aim is to save the world rip-off of the 4400 or what!!
  • no way should this have been cancelled

i like to think of this show as the x-files meets heroes. the stories and characters are like a mix of the two when you look at tom and diane (mulder and scully) investigating 4400 people who have been abducted from various times through out history and then returned all at once - not aging a day. and some come back with powers and are like super heroes, or the freaks from smallville affected by kryptonite. then there is the added bonus of the ripple effect to keep fans hooked. i cant believe this show got cancelled and it should be given a movie- or tv movie- or anpther season on a different network.
  • How a great show like this is canceled while some really awful shows are still on the loose, i will never understand.

I never really got to watch the whole four seasons. Actually I only watched the first season. However, that season made me addicted to that freakishly awesome show. What i admired most was the directing truthfully. There were sometimes where I would get lost in the scenery, lights, backgrounds,.. etc, and forget what the actors were doing. "What is stopping me from watching the rest of the seasons if i liked it that much?" one might ask. Don't judge me ... I'm having trouble downloading it. So if anyone knows where i could download the whole 4 seasons please contact me. Sorry this is not much a review as it's a plea. Thank you
  • This is a show about individuals who were abducted over a period of 50 years. Upon their return (the 4400) began to exhibit supernatural powers. Some used them for good some for evil. As these secret were revealed the publics reception was mixed at best.

This was an awesome show. A show like this should have been allowed to run its course and find a suitable ending point. The excuse of ending "due to low numbers" does not hold water. I believe the should bring the 4400 back. This show was riveting! The plot got better and better as time went on. I am disappointed in the network for canceling it I know this has nothing to do with the show but I must say, for doing that they went down in my book in cool points. The show should be brought back to television I think any network would benefit by having this show.
  • It was a good concept, and should have been given a longer run.

The idea behind the 4400, abductees returning with special powers, was a really good one. Often the episodes veered off into pure soap opera dialog that really bogged the show down. Some of the best episodes were one-off, stand alone stories about individual returnees and how they were trying to fit in and how they dealt with their new found powers.

I'd like to see one of the networks take another shot at this program. Even if there is a few years gap, they could just skip ahead in the story. Any actors that they can't get to come back they can claim the character is dead or re-abducted or something. Unfortunately this will go down on the long list of unfinished Sci-Fi series, of which we have too may already.
  • Great show for a traditionally non-scifi guy. This show has avoided cliches and managed to be a great addition to the tv landscape. The premise ,not aliens, after I heard that I knew something special was in the works. Great

Great show for a traditionally non-scifi guy. This show has avoided cliches and managed to be a great addition to the tv landscape. The premise ,not aliens, after I heard that I knew something special was in the works. Great characters engaging stories I couldn\'t ask for more. This show managed to keep an over-arching story spanning four seasons but not get stale. Each season brought us more surprise and wonder of where the story would go next. I don't know why the show was canceled it was still very popular and had a large fan base. As a summer show it was a ratings power-house for the still small USA network but for reasons unknown the show is now gone but I urge anyone to get the dvd's and relive this wonderful series.
  • This show is one of the best shows ever but I dont know why it was cancled!!! It should be aired again...

great show,have a great story,have a scence of the future,and I find it very intresting to watch.
    I dont know why some of the people whom had watched it say its bad!!!
    first it started slowly but on the 2nd season and the third one it became very intresting,the whole catastrophy thing is cool and look at all those heroes and all those great powers.
    it really should be back but I find that so far to be reall...
    the thing that makes me injoy the show is those powers and its future thing.
    most of the peoples whom say its bad they say that because they didnt really understand it...
  • Before there were heroes, there was the 4400.

It sucks that this show got canceled, it seems that any good sci-fi show never seems to last. However, moving on, this show is the predecessor to Heroes, and while it is written and displayed in a different manner than heroes, it is a great show. the 4400 is about 4400 people who get abducted from different parts of history, and are all returned to present day Seattle with no memories, and new extraordinary powers. There are a lot of political themes as well and while the story is not as faced paced as heroes, it develops the characters and plot very well. The 4400 is great and I recommend it to those rabid Heroes fans.
  • This really was the best show on television and the network that cancelled it deserves to be put to death...

The 4400 was, is, always will be the best show in the Drama/Sci-Fi Genre. Heck, forget its genre, it was the Best show ever.

The show begins with a comet of sorts crashing into the Earth. The viewer is then introduced to NTAC. The govermental branch in charge of dealing with any and all threats against the United States. Soon after the "collision" we learn that it was no comet that hit Earth, rather is was exactly 4400 people. People who up until this time had thought to have gone missing, killed, or dissapeared. As the show transpires through the seasons we learn that each 4400 has been blessed with special abilities. The main plot follows the epic and marvelous tale as the 440 come to discover who they are, realize who they were and understand what they must be.

Each episode was heart pounding, jaw dropping spectacular eye candy with amazing acting, directing, and writing. The show deserves the utmost respect and above all else this show deserves a second-chance at life as can be see by the thousands of fans and cult following it has recieved.
  • Before 'Heroes' we had 'The 4400' which had a unique take on a show with ordinary people with extraordinary abilities.

'The 4400' is an interesting series. To me, the writers/producers started out with a direction in mind and halfway through the series, they started going in different directions. While it isn't something completely different, the focus shifts from how the individuals affect the future to the battle between those with Promicin abilities and those without.

There is some balance between those two aspects and they work well together. The series loses a little once it shifts to battle in the present. Towards the end, it became about doing something seemingly terrible to benefit the future or to help protect the present. 'The 4400' managed to present interesting situations that question the viewers' morals and weren't black/white or right/wrong while being entertaining.

The ending leaves some questions in the viewers' minds as to how the new developments will be reacted to and some of the motives of some of the characters. This is to be expected from a series that wasn't entirely sure if it was going to be picked up and managed to do a decent job of bringing some sense of closure to its story. Here's hoping that the producers are able to get something like a TV-movie/mini-series to wrap it up a bit more in the near future.
  • Better concepts than average, but never quite held up in the execution.

Like the movie "Signs," this show could never seem to decide if it wanted to be sci-fi or horror. The initial plot twist was enough to hook the viewer, and some of the follow-ups were good, but then it just got too bogged down to watch. I know we're supposed to suspend our disbelief for these things, but there's only so far you can go before you have to say, "That just wouldn't happen." This show, like so many dramas and movies, imagines both that we are beset by complex and sinister forces... and that these forces are too discombobulated to get anything right. Well, which do you want? This show would make decent viewing a few times, but nothing more than that.
  • Great Show!

The 4400 is about how starting in 1946, for about 50 years 4,400 went missing. In 2004, they all suddenly appeared in a forest, they haven't aged, and they have special powers. One girl is psychic, another can heal anything instantly. Everyone begins to call them 'The 4400'. Naturally, everyone else is afraid of The 4400, so they put them into quarantine, until a family member or friend can gain custody over one. Soon, after the goverment realizes that many of The 4400 don't have any living relatives or friends, they let the adults go free, but they still want the children to be adopted into a family. Things get hard for The 4400, since most normal people want them gone. This show is great, I highly recommend it.
  • Bring this brilliant show back!

This was a brilliant show and I was very disappointed to see it go, I really wish they would bring it back.

I am surprised that it got axed as I thought it was one of the best shows on TV. It had a very original storyline and good actors. I got more and more into it as the show progressed as the storyline was brilliant. Some people thought it got old quickly, but I thought it got better and better. I thought it would have lasted longer than it did.

It would be great if they could bring it back as many people miss it including me.
  • Bring THE 4400 back!!

USA Network- Don't lose a good thing. THE 4400 has a large and loyal fan base. I just found out that the show was cancelled. What were you thinking!?!

If it's too late for 2008, then get it ready for 2009. We won't mind the wait. We will still be here for you. Now, don't give me the "...it's me, not you..." line 'cause I won't believe it.

Don't buy into the fear of rejection. I promise, we will still be here for you. Call production. Get the agents on the phone. Have a press conference. Everything will be fine. Everyone will be happy. And you will see...we will still be here waiting for you.
  • Just like any other underappreciated low rating show, "The 4400" is original, hip and interesting, enough to keep the audience agog in each episode. No wonder it got cancelled.

As a person adamant in determination to keep sci-fi metarial outside my radius, I can confidently say "The 4400" is more than an unearthly experience, winking at X-Men foundation but stubborn enough to offer more with in-depth character analysis and rock solid performances.

It all starts with 4400 people appearing out of nowhere. And this is among the least appealing reasons to follow the show. In each episode, we get to know one of those 4400 and we observe how they struggle to come to terms with their extraordinary abilities. Some get control over them, some fail to maintain them. All this transition period makes "The 4400" stands ahead in its own genre. You do not have to be a core sci-fi fan to appreciate this show (you do not have to be a sci-fi fan at all) because "The 4400" is more human and touching than any other drama crap around. And it is real in emotions, dialogues and characters.At the end of the abrupt series finale, you can get an idea of why "Heroes" sound less original and you may question why "Heroes" is followed by a larger crowd while "The 4400" gets cancelled. Well, TV is not a fair playground.
  • Why was this show cancealed? it was the best and I give it a ten. I bought all the DVDE's and there was no ending story at all.

Instead of starting all these new shows, why not continue with this hit show. You all could get 5 more years of stories out of this seried, not counting all the DVD's you would sell. Bring it back!!! This show had me hooked the first time it aired, along withmy family as we watched it all together. It's like Monk and Survivor, I make sure I am home everytime it is on. The story line was excellent, the characters were perfect and the abilities were very interesting, to the point that I wouldn't miss one. Why was it taken off anyway???
  • Another one bites the dust!!

Why can't the writers get there sh!t together and wrap up a series. And why leave so many loose ends when they don't know if they are going to get a renewal!!
    I can't count the number of great shows this has happened too.

John Doe......
    The Pretender (they did a little movie though)
    DayBreak (in Canada you had to download the remaining shows!!)
    ...they were available online to American viewers.
    Wonderfalls
    and the list goes on and on.....

It would be nice if they wrap it up with a movie, or mini series.

I have nothing more to write but I do need to get one hundred words on here so .....
  • One of the best shows of the last few years, and it's unbelievable that it got canceled.

What started from a miniseries grew into one of the better shows I've watched in some time. The story was interesting and the idea of humans vs. super-humans was quite intriguing. I really wish that this show would come back, if only to show us what happens in the future, and to see if everything the future people did had any effect. I would love to find out if the promicin positives ended up controlling the world, or if it all failed despite their best attempts. One thing I really liked about this show was the new abilities people gained. They were different from the normal abilities that are always showcased such as flying, super strength, healing, etc. They had some cool ones such as the ability to make people worship you. Albeit not all that useful, but still an interesting idea never before used in a show such as this. It was a real shame that this show got cut off before it could end. The cliffhanger at the end of season 4 almost killed me. I'm just dying to see what ability Tom got, and I hope one day I'll get the chance to find out.
  • It was EXTREMELY disappointing to hear that the USA canceled this fine show well before its "use-by" date. This show is truly a masterpiece! All efforts must be employed to SAVE THIS SHOW! Find out how YOU can help!

It was EXTREMELY disappointing to hear that the USA canceled this fine show well before its "use-by" date. This show is truly a masterpiece! All efforts must be employed to SAVE THIS SHOW! How can you help? You can join our efforts to let the network know that we really want this show back! Please visit the official 4400 forums at http://forums.usanetwork.com/index.php?showforum=3 to find out the many ways you too can help out the effort. If you've heard anything about "the sunflower seed campaign" this is where that effort (and many others) are being coordinated from. Only by unifying our efforts and bringing the loyal 4400 fans of the world together under one banner can we show the network execs that we mean business, and hopefully we can get our show back. (It worked for Jericho)

"The World (and the USA Network) will have to deal with us!" - Jordan Collier