The 4400

Suffer the Children

Aired Unknown Jun 26, 2005 on USA

• Suffer the Children

Suffer the Children was a superb episode of The 4400. I enjoyed watching this episode because the story was a good example of how parents influence their children with anger and hate. This episode is one of many that touches upon an important issue for us all to consider, and in so doing create a ripple effect in real life. I thought Ms. Tobey's power was an awesome and unique one. I wonder if she could bring out 4400 abilities or amplify theym some how. Shawn encounters some homeless teens and helps them. He continues to hang out with Liv until her boyfriend shows up. Shawn end up saving him and revealing his powers, and experiences the consequences Jordan warned him about. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!
  • Shawn meets some homeless kids and a 4400 teacher inspires her students.

I very much liked the 4400 teacher with the gift of inspiration. I thought it was well written and convincing. The story's conclusion was great and I felt really sorry for the kid who did not have a special gift.

I didn't really like the Shawn and the homeless kids storyline. It was too predictable, especially after Collier warned him not to heal one of them. You just knew he was going to do exactly that. I'm also unsure about the purpose of the storyline, teach compassion or humility to Shawn ???

It'll be interesting to see whether Collier has actually changed or managed to fool Isabelle somehow...
  • I liked it but there was nothing special like the other episodes.

7.7
    I liked it but there was nothing special like the other episodes. This one was not boring but not very exciting either. No ripple's almost no action and a story that is just above average. I hope they do a better job on the other episode's than they did on this one.
  • Well I liked it. Most of it.

Over all a good episode. However the Shawn- homeless people story didn\'t really do anything for me,whether this will develop into somthing more significant remains to be seen.

However, the lily, Richard , Jordon thing continues the story to next weeks episode.

I also enjoyed the main story line with the teacher. It certainly raised interesting questions about how instead of the majority fearing the 4400 it was turned around and showed how it was the majority jeolous of the abilities the teacher was able to pass onto her students
  • Another 4400 of the week plotline coupled with some development of the arcs.

This time, the "44oo of the week" is high school arts teacher Heather Tobey, who was returned with the ability to draw out the artistic strengths in people--from playing the violin to painting and a whole lot of other various artsy things in between. The drawback in her power is that she can only work with what\'s there and not just magically instill in you the ability to play the piano if you don\'t have it inside you already. Interesting power, though I\'m not quite sure yet of what the ripple effect of it might be--beyond maybe getting some school districts to not keep cutting back on the art and music budget of schools, thus ensuring future generation\'s appreciate good art when they see it. On further thought, maybe this ability would sound the death knell of all the worst of the crop of the reality shows that are on the air these days and that might not be such a bad thing...

Anyway, back to this episode. Heather\'s ability to help some but not others causes tension and conflict and she\'s brought up on child abuse chargers. After she is exonerated, she returns to the classroom where one student in particular is unhappy that he has shown no special artistic abilty. He wants to escape his life and not be like his father, so he comes to school with a gun to force Heather to awaken the artist within. Luckily, Dad happens to be at the school at the time and hears what he\'s done to his son.

What I found most interesting here was how divided everyone was on the use of the power that Heather had. Those who benefited thought she was the best thing since sliced bread while those who couldn\'t be helped were less than enthused. Kind of mirrors the Jordan storyline of his warning Sean to only use his powers under certain circumtances and not to let the world know he has this healing ability. Kind of the--what have you done for me lately? mentality. Of course, Jordan\'s warnings come to fruition with Sean befriends a cute homeless girl and then has to use his power to save her boyfriend. (Showing the difference between Sean and Jordan in a lot of ways...I could see Jordan letting the boyfriend pass away so that he could move in on the girlfriend..because let\'s face it, Sean and the homeless girl had some chemistry.)

Meanwhile, the mythology of the show takes a baby-step forward as Jordan finally catches up to Lilly, Richard and Isabelle. He meets Isabelle and the world doesn\'t explode around him or he doesn\'t double over in pain. Jordan takes this as a sign and offers to use his pull with the NTSC to get Richard and Lilly off their David Banner-like run across the U.S. As we got to Jordan waiting to see Isabelle, I fully expected to see the words \"To Be Continued\" flash on screen and to have to wait two weeks to see what would happen. That said, I think this is only the calm before the storm with Jordan and Isabelle.
  • A school teacher uses her ability to inspire her class of art students to become great artist. Richard and Lily are confronted by police, and Shawn makes some new friends.

Upon watching all the episodes of the 4400 over the past days, This episode strikes me as being the first episode where the series have found it\'s standard. There has been much turmoil and many different stories going on up until now, it\'s all seemed somewhat fragmented. But with this episode the series seem to have found itself. For the first time it feels like im watching an actual tv show, with outlined stories for each episode. It\'s not that other episodes haven\'t been good, they\'ve just been more like 45 min parts of a bigger picture.

The episode was well written, and had a nice flow to it. Characters really seem to have found their place, and writters have found their pace.
  • Great character development on Shawn's part as well as more pieces to the puzzle.

I really liked this episode, unlike some shows, the 4400 is able to produce interesting episodes each week-- I\'ve liked them all.

My favorite part was Shawn helping the homeless kids. Another reviewer said it was boring, but I loved it. Great character development. It showed Shawn has the power to heal in more ways than one. He gave the homeless kids a better chance and a gift many would never give. Not just food or clothes, but the feeling that someone cares. I thought it was sweet. I\'d like to see if their relationship ended after he walked away or if it\'ll continue. I hope it will.
  • Despite the relative newness of the show, it already setting a standard for itself.

I found the new 4400 character ability in this episode to be interesting if not a bit different from what one would expect. A teacher from the 70's with the ability to act as a muse to her students. I'm not quite sure how her ability applies to the ripple effect but look forward to hopefully founding out how.
    The focus on Lily and Richard was my favorite part of this episode. I especially enjoyed the interaction between Lilly, Richard, Elizabeth and Collier and the apparent acceptance by Elizabeth of Collier's "good intentions".
    I also enjoyed seeing Shawn actually caring for someone and connecting to them despite their different statures. Kyle's further blacking out is interesting especially since it may not be just him losing memory, although I hoped to see more developmental with his college professor.
    Overall this was a great episode with some excellent character development for Shawn.
  • This was a great episode along with all the others so far. It revealed more and more on each of the story lines and Richard and Lily confronting Collier was great.

Danny was back in this episode and he now knows about Kyle's blackouts. The part with the homeless people and Shawn was kind of boring, but I loved this episode overall. Can't wait for the next one.
  • Another fantastic episode!

It was stunning, and I'm gonna go into spoilers so if you're reading this beware. I think these blackouts with Kyle are just friggin terrific stuff. I can't wait to find out what this person from the future is having him do while he's blacked out...least I'm assuming it's the guy from the season one finale inside Kyle's brain.

As for the 4400 of the week, I enjoyed the real emotional tone of this weeks story. The whole idea of some kids are special and others aren't and the pain it inflicts when it's made apparent. It really was a touching story even though it was mostly fluff for the real story of the week...the continued run of Lily and Richard.

The whole idea that this kid is the messiah of the 4400 kind of rubs me the wrong way. That plus the fact that he's suddenly feeling very comfortable near Collier leads me to believe this kid is more like the anti-christ of the 4400. Something about Collier just screams sinister motive, but who knows with this show. So far it's done nothing but keep me on my toes.