The 4400

The Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Aired Unknown Jul 08, 2007 on USA

• The Truth and Nothing But the Truth

The Truth and Nothing But the Truth was a superb episode of The 4400. I enjoyed watching this episode as Kyle continues to keep Isabelle hidden believing she has a purpose, Diana finds April who has a new ability, and Shawn ponders running for City Council. I thought this episode had a good mix of sub plots and character development. April's ability was cool though it led to disaster. Diana realizes she can't leave Seattle, making Maia's prediction true, and Tom finds out a disturbing truth about Kyle with the help of Marco. This episode moves the story forward and the last scene has some interesting implications!!!!!!!
  • Great ability for April !!!!

I am glad April didn't die she has a great storyline and besides her power is great is one of the best.She has the ability to wherever she asks is answered with the truth. I like the episode as a whole but what I liked the best was the part that April asks Tomm if he had sexual fantasies with Daiana hahhah it was hillarious!!! She will be working for some government agencie so it is likely that we will watch her appear in more episodes in the show. Finally we learn that Shawn is running for city council and wants to become the first 4400 envolved in politics in order to gave a positive influence about 4400 to the world.
  • Great episode!

This is a great episode! I really enjoyed it.

Diana finally finds her sister, April, who has taken promicin. This episode shows us April's ability. She's able to force people to tell her the truth when she asks them a question. By the end of the episode she lands a job with the government, which is good for her and for Diana. Now, she's a responsible person.

Tom finds out that his son, Kyle, has taken promicin. And Kyle, working with Isabelle, discovers that Tom is a promicin-positive, according to a prophecy he has translated with Isabelle.

Shawn decides to run for a seat on the city council.

On this episode annoying Cassie doesn't show up, which is good. I don't like her.Well, the episode was great.
  • Good drama, but great political references to the military industrial complex, the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, political campaigns, and especially zealous political activism.

Great episode! So much better than the preceding weeks, I think, because they had a developed character who was also involved with a lead character. I really liked the other storylines, too, though maybe April's story was resolved a bit easily; then again, it was a realistic solution and there was no need to drag out Diana feeling how she let her down beyond the commercial break. I also wondered if Senator Lindoff (Locke's father) seemed a bit too creepy and sleazy, but maybe that's just his personality. I liked how Diana admitted she was not the best help in her sister's life and the whole idea of having Tom admit to a sexual fantasy that was uncomfortable but completely realistic.

Political parallels: The War on Promicin as commentary on the War on Drugs.

I just realized today what a great idea it was to comment on drug abuse and the War on Drugs (in addition to the War on Terror) through the promicin problem. Roughly 50% of people die of promicin. In a similar way, taking heavy drugs is likely to get you killed. The government criminalizes drug abuse, but, as we see with April taking promicin, many people take it not to flout the government or harm society, but just because of how terrible their lives have become and they turn to drugs/promicin to relieve the pain. Don't get me wrong; I hate drugs, but we should try to not hate drug users, especially when the poor taking crack coccaine suffer so terribly in the justice system without understanding, while some people who take coccaine recreationally make to the White House, and never face criminal charges or humiliation.

Political parallels: the military industrial complex and Dick Cheney's Haliburton.

I also liked how this episode mentioned how the industrial part of the "military industrial complex" has exploited the Iraq War in charging massive amounts of money for poorly delivered services -- in this case, defective body armor. The US government has even failed to provide enough body armor and other supplies for this war from the start. Vice-President Dick Cheney was on the board of Haliburton -- just as many of the Bush administration's folks have been on the boards of hugely corrupt corporations -- and he used insider dealing to interfere with the usual competitive process the government uses to get the lowest prices for services of wartime supplies and post-war reconstruction. Cheney ensured Haliburton got the contracts for services in the war, even though they have charged way more than other companies and delivered poorly. This episode didn't comment on this very real problem as much as I'd have liked (and maybe that's a good thing), but it at least did so, at a time when most shows don't really confront politics. I also liked how they didn't overdo it and make everyone in the military industrial complex evil by having the lower guy tricked by his boss and the government employee be a whistle-blower. I don't know if they've killed anyone over these things and maybe it was a bit much, but they surely have had no trouble allowing Iraqis and Americans to die in this war... or charging $25 extra for a plastic plate in the lunch halls of US soldiers. (Seriously, I saw a news story or maybe it was the documentary "War Tapes" in which soldiers who take an extra plastic plate as a lid to cover their food to keep it warm are charged over $50 for the meal because it's roughly $25 per plate.)

Kyle's intolerance for Shawn's criticism.

Regarding the Shawn/Kyle dynamic, I wondered if Kyle was over-reacting at the end, but he's put so much of his identity into this cause, and like many terrorists or any activist fighting a difficult cause, he can't tolerate major differences of opinions because every slight obstacle makes fighting for the goal from a weak position that much harder to achieve. Freedom of criticism is easier to take when the critcized party is in a position of strength. In relating to Kyle's mindset, I myself feel a great anger toward "scholars" like Arab Fouad Ajami who encouraged the Iraq War on TV, among institutions, and with the administration. I strongly feel like he let down -- not only decent Muslims who are fighting, on the one hand, for respectable treatment by the West and, on the other, against Islamic fundamentalism gaining too much influence among desperate Muslims but -- the whole world by not standing up for principles and fairness. He even admits to nationalistically standing up for America, instead of behind truth, when he propagandistically tells the mainstream what it wants to hear, spreads ideas that Arabs and Muslims need and deserve to be condescendingly engaged, that America and Israel are never wrong, and writes all terrorists off (even Hamas and Hezbollah) as merely irrational. In this sense, Shawn is actually following his conviction and not intentionally misleading anyone, and that deserves a respect Mr. Ajami does not. Kyle might sound intolerant, but groups facing difficult or losing battles for public acceptance are desperate for any kind of victory and terrified of any kind of defeat such that they become inflexible. In this sense, The 4400 is one of the very few shows in American history (in addition to the new Battlestar Galactica) to correctly portray the roots and nature of terrorism and explore human nature. Things are setting up very nicely.

7.9 or 8/10

(I should emphasize the only the rarest of shows get 10 -- only the absolute best episodes of The X-Files ("Talitha Cumi", "Paper Hearts", "Redux II", etc.), Battlestar Galactica ("Pegasus","Lay Down Your Burdens", "Occupation"/"Precipice") and Deep Space Nine ("In the Pale Moonlight"). I would give the best story of The 4400 to date, "Terrible Swift Sword"/"Fifty Fifty," around 9.0, and I really loved that.)
  • April who's gained an ability, grows up.

Wonderful episode with lots of political intrigue mixed with character development.

Diana tracks down April, who's gained the ability to 'force' people to answer her questions truthfully, a useful ability for blackmail as well as for the FBI, police and other government agencies.

I loved that April finally finally decided not to run and take responsibility. I can only hope that she sticks with it, it would mean one less worry for Diana.

Tom discovers that Kyle has taken promicin and now has to try and deal with that. It's a good thing he doesn't know (yet) that Kyle is working with Isabelle translating an old prophecy.

Kyle is thrilled that Shawn goes into politics and decides to run for a seat on the city council, that is until he hears Shawn in an interview denounce Jordan Collier's decision to provide promicin to everyone.
  • Truth, Deception, Questions

The Truth and Nothing But The Truth: Another cunning episode, and some clever twists. As we plug on through additional new scenerios we see the over arching plots get more interesting. Isabel begins working with Kyle. Diana finds her sister April. I love the way the writers portray Diana's exasperation with April's fluttery ways. I thought it was a little disappointing that NTAC is actually going to employ April, I mean, obviously they can't control her getting the truth out of them. It's a bit farfetched if you ask me, but should be interesting nonetheless. Finding out that Tom is one of the 200 on the list of people who 'should' be shot with Promicin wasn't an unexpected twist, as he's flirted with the future and the past and the creators of the 4400 people. Now, this poses an interesting question though, are the additional 200 people needing the Promicin shot in order to create that alternate reality from the first episode? Is the future so bleak that these 200 people are listed in order save that bleak future that 'Jordon' had dreamt of? Obviously the writers are having a ball and we're all enjoying this as well. Can't wait for next week!!!
  • OMG!

As I said before, I don't like the thing with Kyle and Shawn, I want Kyle to be on Shawn's side, not on Collier's. I mean, look what he's doing, he's fighting with Shawn, fighting with his father ... what more should I say?! I mean, if he read all those things from that book, he should realise, what kind of Messia kills almost half of population?! Isn't that weird? I'm so mad on Kyle. The thing is, that Tom now knows that Kyle shot himself with promicine. What Tom doesn't know, is that Kyle is hiding Isabelle. And this will be a wrong thing to Shawn, in the next future.

What I like most on this episode, was about Diana's sister. I mean, look at her, with her ability she can have everything she wants. I hope she will keep this job and keep along with Diana.
  • This episode revealed the lines being made in the "4400 war". It looks like kyle has picked his side, and Sean has picked his. Now they bring in politcs that could change the view on the 4400.

This was a decent episode, the sides are becoming more clear for characters and next weeks episode looks to be the best of the season with what could happen to Tom. They also seem to have added a character as a regular with Di's sister. The plot wasn't to enticing in this episode but what was was the politics being involved, including that of a certain senator that supposedly hated the 4400. I don't really like how kyle is acting recently, it doesn't look like a good path he is going down. Maybe the last name on that list of his will shake him out of this religious context that his character has taken. Maybe his power is controlling him then vice-versa.
  • The main characters were all given a great degree of information to cope with during this episode. Each one will have to make decisions that could change their lives from this moment on.

This episode was filled with new changes for our principal individuals that have as thus far maybe been concerned toward a family member.

Tom was left with no doubt in his mind that Kyle not only was the one who shot promicin into Shawn in the hospital, and due to Tom's own little investigation that Kyle is also positive for promicin.
    Diana finally found April and to her surprise April's new ability is that she is a one-woman lie detector serum, but without taking the serum. As usual April was using her new found power for her own manipulating ways to gain wealth. April, however, did find true love, but sadly, it did not last long because he was murdered during one of their illegal money schemes. Now the government is now fighting over April and her astonishing truth ability. This has now left Diana with no choice, but to make a decision concerning her life that could affect her marriage down the road. Diana chose to remain at her job because of her daughter and now her sister’s involvement in the 4400, and not move back to Spain or anywhere else.
    ,br> Kyle, who is now using his new ability, has found himself as the Shaman in the midst of what’s to come and has given refuge to Isabelle, whom in return has used her knowledge to help translate the “white light journal”. This journal has listed names of people in power who will help change the future results by taking the promicin and at the very end of the list was Kyle’s father, Tom.
    Shawn has had new doors that have opened to him in the political world, and in doing so, he has also possibly made enemies on both sides in this new found era.
    This series, "The "4400" has always been a show that has allowed us to look at or try to understand something that is just slightly past our finger tips, and maybe even hidden from us to keep us intrigued and wanting more. The sci-fi religious aspects about it will always keep a society of people entertained because of the basis of the story line. But when there is a foundation of a great cast and a superb writing team with wonderful producers and directors behind a show like this; a hit of this magnitude only comes around ever so often. I do hope this show stays around long enough to allow a superior finish.
  • Bringing the introduction to a close with a bang

Once again, the main plot thread of the episode focuses on one of the “extra crispies”, the newly-powered users of promicin, but this introductory phase of the season arc comes to a close by focusing on an established character: April Skouris. Her ability to force others into telling the truth is the basis for her current troubles, and the results put more pressure on Diana.

Diana promised Ben, her current paramour, that she would return to Europe with him and Maia once she found April and brought things to resolution. Now that she’s back in the midst of the NTAC whirlwind, however, her desire to get away from the danger and insanity has been overcome by her sense of duty. Both Maia and April, as members of her family, give her reason to stay on the front lines of the battle between the mundanes and the powered.

Not that Tom gets off easy. He discovers, much to his horror, that Kyle has taken the promicin shot and is now, in essence, a fugitive from the law. Kyle has embraced his role as Jordan’s future shaman, and has found an ally in Isabelle. Isabelle’s role is still not clear, but her unusual intelligence is already a key factor in the plot. She’s able to decode the encryption in the “White Light” journal, and the predictions therein put Tom right in Jordan’s path to Messiahville.

Once again, we see how Tom and Diana are compromised by their personal connections to the 4400 and the newly-powered. It’s hard to imagine that they’re still considered to be viable agents for NTAC. More to the point, one would expect them to overcompensate for any suspicion or conflict of interest by hunting down the powered more fervently than anyone else. The almost-casual nature of their investigative method remains one item difficult to reconcile.

April’s role, however, could force Diana to consider her loyalties as well. In essence, April could (and probably will) be used to question detained prisoners with abilities to find out where others are hiding, or more importantly, where Jordan’s followers might be (if he begins building a wider cult following). If April began to balk at this role, Diana might be forced to convince her otherwise, even if the methods being used are questionable.

Similarly, Tom will probably find himself caught between support for Shawn’s anti-Collier stance as a rising political figure and his relationship with Kyle, which is already falling apart at the seams. If Tom is forced into taking promicin (and assuming, as one must, that he survives), how would he react to that new reality? This would put him in an interesting position, especially when one considers Diana’s current situation.

Whatever the case, Shawn’s victory with his healing foundation (and, it seems, the 4400 Center as a whole) has successfully shifted the large-scale conflict into three factions. The first faction is rabidly anti-promicin, regardless of how abilities are used. Shawn’s faction is, in a sense, the “Charles Xavier” side of the conflict, seeking peaceful and beneficial co-existence. Jordan’s side is, in relation, the “Magneto” side, more at odds with the mundane world. It’s a tried-and-true formula that, so far, looks very promising.
  • Diana's sister brings more fun as Shawn takes a new path.

I just loved April and was happy to see her back. Her ability is perfect given her past of fleecing people and the way they shot it with the camera focused on her with her questions, was well done. Of course, the drama was in her relationship with Diana which at first seemed cool as ever. Honestly, would it have killed April to at least drop a call or card to at least let Diana know she was alive? That did change when her boyfriend was killed and Diana showed how, despite it all, April was her sister and she was willing to do what it took. There was humor with her questioning of Diana and Tom (Diana's reaction to Tom's fantasies was hysterical) but also great with Diana trying to get April to do the right thing for once. It was a great logical touch that April would go to work for law enforcement with her gift and the last scene of them together, realizing they couldn't just start over but recognizing the bond they couldn't get rid of, was wonderfully played. The subplots were well done with Kyle and Isabelle and Tom finding out about his son which can't end well. Shawn's decision to run for office and go against Collier was a big shift that promises some serious developments as the season goes on. So we finish the April arc but that might mean more drama for Diana with Ben and her job and I'm sure we'll see April down the road again. The show did a great job with the sister dynamic and showed how, at a human level, it still suceeds better than most sci-fi shows out there.