The 4400

Tiny Machines

Aired Unknown Sep 09, 2007 on USA

• Tiny Machines

Tiny Machines was a great episode of The 4400. I enjoyed watching this episode as Tom discovers Diana and Meghan are on to him. Tom caused all sorts of trouble in this episode. Isabelle fell into old ways after having a final good by with Kyle. Diana races to find Tom, and eventually she does. I thought there was a lot of interesting character and plot development. The action was fast paced and exciting. The drama involved in the stories was interesting and intriguing. The end of this episode left me with suspense. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!
  • Another unsatisfying episode in a series that has lost its edge.

2.2
    "Tiny Machines" was the latest in a string of mediocre to poor episodes that left me sorely disappointed. Sometimes, I don't even know why I watch this show anymore. While watching it, I thought to myself, "If this episode were a pilot (excepting the lack of necessary back-story), the series would never be picked up.

The 4400 was an inspired miniseries that has gotten complacent in its long life. Old and tired in the fourth season, current plot lines are contrived and predictable, when they're not downright nonsensical. Writers have found themselves having to right past mistakes when the viewers are dissatisfied with characters and events (Isabelle, anyone?); in the comic book world this is known at "ret-con".

The producers of this show have spent so much time trying to please everyone, that the show has lost the originality that made it special, and it has been reduced to a shell of its former self, a farce that carries on with the same characters and in the same universe, but with none of its initial spark.

Also, as a point of personal acrimony, I also find myself highly dissatisfied with Joel Gretsch's performance as one of the Marked. His portrayal of a sociopath feels awkward and affected. I should think it a bit strange that the main character's acting abilities are lesser than those of an adolescent girl (Conchita Campbell).

I will, of course, be TiVo-ing next week's episode, but mostly out of the same sort of obligation I feel when reading a really lousy book: I can't bring myself to not finish it.
  • Finally a great episode after a all in all disappointing season.

So far, this season had a great lack of intensity. The stories just didn`t feel original, and I lost interest in the characters.
    All of these disappointments are still there but I have to admit that this episode felt like one from the "good old days". Finally there were signs of intensity and courage in the writing. The courage to wrap things up, to shake relationships and cut the status quo between the good and the bad.

Shawn finaly shows that he`s got balls and the marked are searching for the confrontation. We know now that Isabelle isn`t the only part of their plan, that they are planning to strike unexpected and hard.

I`m now really curious about the final episode, what I honestly didn`t thought would be possible anymore.
  • A Tom and Diana showdown!

Exciting episode that makes me long for the season finale, I want to know what the writer came up with.

I sincerely hope Diana and Marco find a way to extract this future ' marked' being from Tom, as I want the real Tom back. The final showdown was exciting and it was good to see that Diana had the guts to shoot Tom!

I wonder what will happen with Jordan, Isabelle and Kyle. I'm sure Jordan and Kyle will feel betrayed but Isabelle didn't act entirely of her own accord, so she might still influence things.

I was glad Shawn decided to successfully liberate Kevin and prepared for an attack from Jordan's people. It will also be interesting to see what Danny's ability is, precisely, thought it doesn't look good for their mum.
  • Annoying - The incompetence of the 2 female agents beggers belief ! ! Inspecter Cluseau would have handeled things better !

1.8
    Annoying - The incompetence of the 2 female agents beggers belief ! !

Know what Tom is ? don`t tail him, after knowing what bad stuff he may do, handle things on your own, don`t use any backup, get, he cuses havoc because they just leave him be, then escapes to easily becuse they have no backup plan. They wouldn`t have eventually had to shoot him if they had just arrested and interigated him in the first place ! I don`t know this programme is usually pretty goo although not as good as it used to bae after all the longer a show like this goes on then the thinner the story line becomes stretched, still worth a watch though, however this episode just kept annoying me, my Go Inspecter Cluseau would have handled the situation better and as we all know he was a complete moron !
  • This episode is a prime example of why I'm loving The 4400 this season.

I know I keep going on about not knowing where this show is going but I can't stress how important that is. So many sci-fi shows *coughs*Flash Gordon*cough* get lazy and rely on a predictable format and stale, reused plots. The only thing that bored me about this episode is that the totally midicholrianed Evil Tom Baldwin. We learn that the marked people have been infected with nanotechnology. This means that they can be cured and restored. (I still don't remember seeing these episodes that introduced the marked people and I swear that I've seen every episode of The 4400.)

Tom's character went all out this episode. All pretenses were dropped and he showed his true colors. He even went so far as to inject Maya with the promicin inhibitor. She's not permanently rid of her 4400 ability but it's still a scary thought. Near the end, Diane and Tom get into a shoot out. Diane shoots Tom. (don't worry, it was a gut wound) A lethal dose of radiation will get the nanobugs out of him but it will also kill him... if the gunshots don't do that first.

Sean and Tess brakes Dr. Burkhoff out of the Promised City so that he can continue his research. With her powers restored, Isabelle was returned to Promised City to abduct Jordan Collier. She brought him to Evil Tom and Jordan will become one of the marked. His mission is to render all 4400 normal again. It will totally ruin his "movement".

It doesn't stop there, Sean's brother Danny takes the promicin shot against Sean's wishes. It turns out that Sean got a healing ability but Danny might have a disease- giving ability. I'm already bored with the "I told you so" speech Sean is going to have to give Danny. I wonder if they will have to exterminated Danny. His mother looks like his first victim. If he can't control his new powers they might have to kill him to stop him. This won't end well for Danny.
  • The penultimate chapter continues the excellence!

The episode kicks off with an important revelation about the "marked" and how the personality implants were constructed by the Future Elite. The implants are driven by nanotechnology, which is a staple of modern science fiction and one of those topics with endless appeal. One would expect the Future Elite, with their stranglehold on present-day technology and high-tech industry, to develop a means of technological personality hijacking.

This is important because it presents an interesting possibility for closure on several plot and character threads. The obvious solution would be a powered individual with the ability to produce the effect of the proposed radiation treatment without the downside of killing the host. This would allow for Tom and Jordan's eventual restoration and would ultimately set the stage for the victory of the powered over the Future Elite.

In this scenario, the writers would need to bring forward a character with the power and motivation to restore both individuals. Thus far, the only powered individual with that kind of broad-based ability would be Isabelle. Isabelle would want to destroy the "marked" personality that forced her into betraying Kyle, and she would also want the chance to prove herself to Jordan. It would be particularly fitting if the cost was her life, willingly given.

Another interesting possibility, though less pervasive, would also fulfill the prophesy regarding Tom. What if the Future Elite had never attempted to "mark" an individual already powered by promicin? Jordan could pose as one of the "marked" for a time, just long enough to expose them and end the threat to his movement. This would also present a logical reason for Tom to take (or be given) the promicin shot.

This second speculative option would also serve to answer questions about Cassie, Kyle's ability, and her connection to either the Future Humanity or the Future Elite. The current crisis puts Kyle in the forefront of Jordan's organization, not unlike Shawn's role after Jordan's apparent demise. If Kyle's ability works as explained thus far, his decisions in the near-term could help end the threat of the "marked" and save Tom and Jordan at the same time.

Both options could be completely wrong; after all, I predicted a massive showdown in Promise City for this episode, and that wasn't quite the case. That's one of the strengths of this fourth season. The show is as creatively fertile as it's ever been, and coming into the finale, almost anything could happen. Whatever the case, this penultimate installment for the season is a great set-up for the season finale.
  • Jordan Collier about to become a changed man? Literally?

This one was full of twists and turns.

Burkoff is rescued by Shawns people from the 4400 Center and Jordan plots a strike against them to get the good doctor back to prevent him from perfecting his test to determine who can safely take promicin. The smart thing to do would have been to conduct the research in a secret location instead of at the 4400 Center.

Jordan Collier is captured by the marked using Isabelle's restored powers. The marked plan to use the personality taken from the dead Imroth (Bill Gates type CEO) and use it to take over Collier. Tom explains the world Collier saw was one they inherited and were making the best of and they would do whatever it takes to prevent him from wiping out their existence. So, maybe the marked really are the good guys or maybe both side are bad, one just worse than the other? One choice is a desolate Earth with a small pocket of civilization, the other choice an uncertain future with the sacrifice of 3 billion lives. Thats some choice! Even if the positives win and the world consists only of positives with powers, what guarantee is there they wont turn against each other and completely wipe out humanity? We do find out that the marked consists of nanobots, nanites, ect (the tiny machines) that slowly take over the conscious mind of a host and replace it with the personality of one of the personalities from the future trying to stop the 4400 from succeeding.

Tom also gives Maia the inhibitor to prevent her from having any more visions for a week or 2. Diana confronts Tom and his alter ego after trying to grab some files - after trading insults he runs for it - Diana had a difficult choice of whether or not to shoot the cornered Tom.As the episode ends, a new ability emerges in someone who took the promicin survival test and it produces a rather nasty reaction in anyone close by - similar to Ebola. Im guessing this only affects non positives. We find this out next week and well as the fate of Jordan Collier. Will Jordan be used to turn his promicin positive followers into negatives? The real world posibilities of nano machines are as promising as they are scary. Worst case? The whole earth is consumed and becomes a ball of gray Gooooooooooooo!!! www.exitmundi.nl/graygoo.htm (remove space before htm)