The 4400

Wake Up Call (2)

Aired Unknown Jun 05, 2005 on USA

• Collier = Magneto?

Maybe this has been said elsewhere, but I'm new to The 4400 so forgive me if I'm repeating anything previously stated.

After watching this episode, however, I couldn't help but feel like I was watching the X-Men instead of The 4400. I caught the similarity between 4400 hysteria and mutant hysteria in the first couple of episodes, but now they have their very own Magneto character in Collier as he tries to assemble his very own 'Brotherhood of evil mutants' to prepare for the war he feels is coming. Now he's even working on acquiring a private island (if I understood correctly) ala the Savage Land where Magneto has been known to hide out.

The similarities are incredible. I always thought the mutant hysteria storyline in the x-men was a bit overdone. It seemed too easy...too pat. Everyone everywhere being, for the most part, anti-mutant and scared beyond reason grew stale (to me) after the first couple of decades of storylines of that type. I hope that this isn't going to be the main focus from here on out in The 4400. The hysteria seems even less plausible.

There are only 4400 of these people. Most have no powers with which to scare the population. there are no super hero/villain battles taking place in the streets. There was one reporter who made them look bad, but she was soon arrested for covering up a hit and run she committed which lead to a person's death. Her credibility should have been out the window. The only negative thing to happen is that one of the 4400 was a serial killer. He did not become a kilelr as a result of being abducted however. He was a killer before he was ever abducted. I think most people would recognize that fact and not be quite so ready to condemn the entire lot of them based on the insanity of one person.

I'm still loving the show. I just hope they manage to focus more on the people themselves than this rehash of the X-Men. I'm much more interested in teh main characters and how their powers are developing than whether or not Collier is going to take his war to the streets.