The A-Team Forums

NBC (ended 1987)

Series Finale

brandi1leigh

[1]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 62
    Does anybody think that this show deserved a better ending than it got?  The series finale seemed like any other show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dougalderman

[2]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 34

Did you know that the final episode wasn't necessarily intended to be the final episode?  Clues are on Murdock's T-shirts during the last shows.

Granted, it seems as though many strings were left untied at the series' end.  I do believe that it was the producers' intention to do so, for whatever creative reason -- comeback?  Reunion?

The show is what it is, though, and that's a damn good one.  Enjoy all the episodes.

tjoceasde

[3]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 18

The show was on before my time, but from what I've seen I have always felt that the series should have ended with the guys performing one final mission and finally receiving their pardon from President Reagan.  Since he was an actor, maybe he could have made a cameo.

And the last line should have been Hannibal: "I love it when a plan comes together."

brandi1leigh

[4]Feb 7, 2007
    I haven't really done any research on this, but all I can figure is that the show was cancelled without any warning.  Otherwise, why wouldn't they have wrapped things up?  Or they were planning on a series of movies of the week to wrap up the story lines. 

dagurlpink2006

[5]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 7

yeah, they dindn`t intend for that to be the last episode, but I guess just the whole A-team thing just crashed- I wish It woulden`tve. I LOVE IT!

BRAH

[6]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    "The Grey Team" was indeed the 'final episode'. However the speech at the end was a rush job at the last minute to give the series some finality. The speech was actually pretty nice, and how I pictured the series ending with the Team. Really... what are they truely qualified to do?

"The A-Team" ended for the old classic reasons all series' end... low ratings.

The show went off like a bottle rocket, and fell just as quickly, dropping from #6 overall in Season 3 (1984-85) to #30 in Season 4 (1985-86). NBC panicked and demanded a reason for the ratings plummet. Cannell promised big new changes as well as a more serious turn in Season 5, and the show was renewed for 'only' a 13-episode order, instead of the full 22 or more episode order. Ratings continued to plummet (they were in the Top-65 during Season 5).

Cannell recently implied during an interview on the Season 5 DVD set, that he regretted the season.

BRAH

[7]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    The real reason ratings fell for "The A-Team", was the action show was pretty much over by the fall of 1985. Sitcoms were in, and that's the reason "The A-Team" was consistantly getting pummeled in the ratings by "Growing Pains" & "Who's The Boss" over at ABC during 1985-86.

brandi1leigh

[8]Apr 27, 2007
    Thanks for the background info. I hadn't done my research, but I was curious what happened. Still, a final episode that resolved the fate of the team would have been nice.

JohnnyPromoshot

[9]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 7
    As with many shows, the finale ends up being written and filmed well before the corporate decision to cancel the show for the next season has been officially passed down (There are a few exceptions, obviously... typically shows like M.A.S.H. and Friends that have been on for a decade or so end from a joint decision of actors and producers to finish on a high note). The A-Team was a little different, though, as it had been "revamped" for season 5 and placed on a 'probation' of sorts (renewal would only be based on the performance of episodes already produced in the season's first half). I even remember how they tried to advertise the show as something out of a B-movie set (I still remember the tacky 80's technotronic background music they used). Another thing I noticed is that the popularity of the Action/Adventure genre was sort of on its way out by the late 80's (for instance, Glen A. Larson 'sister show' Magnum P.I. ended in '88 after 8 seasons). This genre, which replaced the '70s era Mystery/Detective shows as top dog (or like Magnum, evolved the genre into detective/action), was then itself replaced by the family sitcom revolution of the mid-late 80's and early 90's (T.G.I.F. is a good example of this). To be honest, I think most of the Action/Adventure fans moved on to science fiction shows like Star Trek: TNG and Quantum Leap because the storylines of the 'then and now' had all been played out by shows like The A-Team and Magnum (not to mention a revolution in computer special effects prompting the end of expensive & dangerous 'blow em up' spectaculars). Had the A-Team been on before '83 (itself a mid-season starter) I think it would have lasted until the same point and time just because of the environment of TV in the late 80's. I only wished they had thought to close out the series with one last TV movie or special that could have given the fans closure (which at the time in the 80's meant little or nothing to the big wigs-$$$).

Kusonaga

[10]Oct 31, 2007
    • level: 6
    The show had never had much of an overreaching arc besides them getting their pardons. The fact that the show never had a proper ending was both infuriating as comforting. Closure would've been nice, but it wasn't a necessity.