The ABC Afterschool Special

ABC (ended 1996)

JordanWelch

The ABC Afterschool Special Fan Reviews (11)

6.6
  • They just never quite made the grade

I was the generation to which it was introduced. I can't remember one person in my school ever saying they liked it. We ususally considered it outdoor time or time to get homework done before the real stuff started on TV. I can remember ABC advertising them and all of us groaning and trying to figure out what on earth we were going to do for the time it was on. The shows to put it in our terms were lame, dumb and talked down to us. The cute moral messages were over cooked and over done and the acting and story line didn't support them well.

It was rated right up there with going to the dentist to have a tooth drilled. It was something you had to put up with because ABC thought it was being improving. I always wondered if they ever bothered to ask a kid.

Hindsight many years later, I can tell you the acting was bad, the plots were bad and the message was indeed over done. Really bad TV that was suppose to enlighten instead boring the audience.