THE RATINGS OF HOLLYWOOD'S BIGGEST NIGHT

... Did you watch the Academy Awards last night? I did! (So did Price, and if you need proof, he photo-recapped it!) However, I was but one of the estimated 43 million viewers who tuned in for last night's Oscars telecast on ABC, the biggest audience for the awards ceremony honoring big-name actors, actresses, and sound editors since 2004, when 43.5 million people watched one of the Lord of the Rings movies win Best Picture. And young people watched, too! The 18-49 year old rating was a healthy 12.9, or about 12 times what Mind Games earned less than a week ago. Business idea for ABC: Air the Oscars every week! After the trophies were awarded, Jimmy Kimmel Live's post-Oscars special enjoyed its best telecast ever, with just shy of 6 million people tuning in. [ABC via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... Good news for all you Big Smo fans: A&E has ordered a new reality series called Big Smo! The show oughta be good publicity for Big Smo, who is a "larger-than-life country hick-hop artist" and that's all I need to know. Cameras will follow Smo around for 10 episodes as he preps his album launch while raising a family and killing chickens (if the video below is any indication). [A&E via press release]

... Well let's get the taste of that previous news blurb out of our mouths with the taste of human flesh. The ratings for Hannibal's return were a bit shy of what NBC was hoping for, with 3.4 million viewers tuning in for Friday's Season 2 premiere. The show hit a 1.1 rating in the important 18-49 demo, which is pretty bad for a show that critics just love, TV.com's included! The Season 2 premiere performed worse than the Season 1 premiere, but the Season 1 premiere aired on a Thursday last year and NBC has lower standards for its Friday-night programming. Still, you Fannibals had better get your fill this season... and recruit your friends to join you. [EW]

... In "Say what?" news, Girls creator and star Lena Dunham will write a four-issue arc of the classic comic Archie. I can't wait for Veronica to accidentally smoke some crack and for Jughead to ejaculate all over the place. I know, I know, bottom-of-the-barrel obvious joke there. [Comic Book Resources]

... Need more proof that everyone is getting a reality show? Singer Gerardo, who melted ladies into puddles in the '90s with his Latin hit "Rico Suave," will be the subject of a VH1 docu-series. Suave Says will follow the former singer as he balances family life and his job as a music executive. [Variety]

CASTING NEWS

... Katie Findlay has joined the Shonda Rhimes-produced ABC pilot How to Get Away With Murder, and yes, all you Carrie Diaries fans should take that as a bad omen. In the pilot about a law professor and her students getting involved with a real murder plot, Findlay will play a neighbor to one of the students. And since Findlay stars in The CW's Sex and the City prequel that is currently not canceled, her casting raises an eyebrow about The Carrie Diaries' future. Well, let me ease all your minds: The Carrie Diaries definitely WILL be canceled. Just like I said it would a while back. Also joining How to Get Away With Murder is Billy Brown, of CBS's Hostages, but let's remember him as August Marks on Sons of Anarchy instead. [Deadline Hollywood / Deadline Hollywood]

... Benito Martinez (The Shield, Supernatural) and W. Earl Brown (Deadwood) have joined the ABC pilot American Crime. The would-be series, written by new Oscar-winner Steven Ridley (12 Years a Slave), follows the personal impact that a controversial race-heavy murder trial has on several different people. Martinez will play the father of the accused, and Brown will play the father of the woman whose husband was murdered. [Deadline Hollywood]

... A couple of additions to Battle Creek, the CBS pilot from Breaking Bad's Vince Gilligan about mismatched cops working the streets of Michigan: Bryan Singer (the X-Men films) has signed on to direct the pilot, and Justified's Damon Herriman, better known as Dewey Crowe, will recur in the series as a nice-guy cop. [THR / THR]

THE BACHELOR NEWS

... Renee Oteri, who was a final four contestant on the current season of The Bachelor (which isn't even over yet), is engaged. She was just booted off the show last week, and yeah it was filmed months ago, but still! This woman was REALLY ready to get married. [Us Weekly]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/2/2014

Season 86 : Episode 1

Next Episode

AIRS ON 2/22/2015

Season 87 : Episode 1

25 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon Octane
    NEW