A The Academy Awards Community
Sunday 8:30 PM on ABC

Everyone's favorite dancing comedienne and talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres, will return to host the Academy Awards for a second time on March 2, 2014, ABC announced today. 

After last year's controversy regarding host Seth MacFarlane's questionable comedy stylings, it's probably wise that the Academy went with someone who's generally considered perfect by every single human being on the planet. “She is the consummate entertainer, equally beloved by her peers in the industry, movie fans, and television viewers," ABC President Paul Lee said in a statement. "We very much look forward to having her back on ABC for Oscar Sunday.”

DeGeneres, who last hosted the awards show in 2007, announced the news herself this morning via Twitter, "It's official: I'm hosting the Oscars! I'd like to thank The Academy, my wife Portia and, oh dear, there goes the orchestra."

Now that DeGeneres is hosting, what's your excitement level for the 2014 Oscars telecast? Watch this clip of her opening monologue from 2007, then let us know in the comments whether you think the Academy made a wise decision.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/28/2016

Season 88 : Episode 1

35 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Robin Williams was unavailable? It is newsworthy because she is a lesbian and this county is exhaustively, pro gay. Ridiculously gay is a better word.
Flag
Who cares, the Oscars are a joke.
Flag
I've never understood why the announcement of who an awards show's *host* will be is considered newsworthy at all. Only the winners of said awards really matter, and even that's not particularly notable.
Flag
She's a good choice but a safe choice as well. After doing so much daytime TV she knows how to keep it clean for TV.
Flag
Some of my favorite hosts: Ellen, Jon Stewart, and Billy Crystal. They were all fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing Ellen again.
Flag
I don't watch Oscars but she's definitely better choice than Seth MacFarlane.
Flag
yes, that`s great! i loved the oscars the last time she hosted it!
Flag
I guess she'll do fine. I would have gone with Neil Patrick Harris though, he makes every award show he hosts enjoyable.
Flag
I liked her as the receptionist on Open House in the early days of Fox. I've been waiting for her to do something else funny ever since. I guess I was 13 and had a bad sense of humor, because now I can't even tolerate her in small doses. That monologue is her A game? That's awful. But, since I don't watch the Oscars and I don't watch her, I guess it's a perfect fit.
Flag
Yes she's super! Love it.
Flag
The oscars? Is that the thing where all the narcissistic egos gather up, hoping to "win" the new shiny at the meat market that is?
Flag
Good for her! She deserves it. :)
Flag
She did great the first time! I'm looking forward to it!
Flag
Fun fact. Ellen DeGeneres was the first person to host the Emmys, Grammys and Oscars. Or else my pub quiz was lying
Flag
Not enough "o"s in BORING there. She only goes for small laughs and gets them, but never elevates the material at all, it feels childish and claustrophobic when she does this stuff.
Flag
It would be cool if tv.com could create a community for random news like this. Where we could also contribute if we discover something. Also the News briefs could be but into this community.
Flag
Can't wait.
Flag
Ellen is great!
Flag
I love Ellen - she's amazing. I'm really glad she's returning as Oscars host.
Flag
I love Ellen DeGeneres got no problem with her..... Hope she makes the Oscar's a worthwhile
Flag
Ellen's awesome. She's a great host.
Flag
I wouldn't have picked Ellen simply because I think she is a little bit dated.
She is the perfect host to keep the stereotypical oscar's audience, but I don't think she'll get that many new viewers.
She has a great sense of humor but her comedy is a bit rusty and even simplistic at times, someone with a wider presence both on tv and online would have been better to get those new viewers.
Flag
Ellen is awesome and she's hilarious so i don't think there's a better host
Flag
Follow this Show
Members