We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Academy Awards Community
Sunday 8:30 PM on ABC

In Los Angeles, it's raining... CELEBRITIES! It's the biggest night of the year for the human race, the Academy Oscar Awards of Movies! This is the evening when the entire universe drops everything it's doing and gathers around a television monitor because—for four glorious hours—it is socially acceptable to lick the screen.

And for the stars, it's their chance not just to win a muscular golden statue, it's a chance to own our hearts for at least two months. Who will cry the most sad, sad tears? 

I've got an idea. You're at your house and I'm at my house, so let's watch it together right here!  

Alright! Let's watch this thing! (Confession: I have only seen one half of one of the nine Best Picture nominees but I have seen four episodes of Super Fun Night!)

Ellen's opening bit

Ellen DeGeneres is basically the exact opposite of last year's host, Seth MacFarlane. She made fun of old people! She made fun of a country's name! She made fun of Liza Minnelli! I usually like a good hour or three of Ellen, but she played it pretty safe by not being totally funny but being very charming in that Ellen way. I also noticed that Jonah Hill got a better seat than Martin Scorsese? Anyway, no music number, just a monologue. The damage was limited.

Best Supporting Actor

Anne Hathaway Space Station announced the nominees for the lesser male actor award, and Jared Leto won for Dallas Buyers Club, in which he wore less makeup than he normally does. But dammit, he gave a fine speech that covered just about everything. Thank YOU, Jordan Catalano. And because he took up way too much time, everyone else will get played off. That's a veteran move.

#HASHTAG JOKES

And also some pointless animation montage! Over/under on how long this thing goes? 18 hours?

Pharrell's performance

The original N.E.R.D. performed his song, and I'm just gonna take a stab here and say that it was called "Happy." He wore the hat that he's determined to make a fashion trend, but I really thing that Ratatouille the rat is under there pulling his hair and controlling him. Anyway, I hate that song because I've had it in my head for four years and will have it in my head for a dozen more. 

Hey have you seen our Oscars red carpet photo gallery?

Best Costume Design and Best Hair & Makeup

Baz Luhrman's wife won costuming for The Great Gatsby (THE FIX IS IN) and two very nice ladies won best hairs and mascara for Dallas Buyers Club. Someone is going to win your Oscars Pool with this garbage.

Introduction: Dallas Buyers Club vs. The Wolf of Wall Street

So they're showing clips of all the Best Picture nominees a couple at a time, I guess. Harrison Ford came out to do the first two, and he really needed to lighten up or change his medical marijuana prescription because things were just sort of coming out of his mouth. Anyway, as you know I've seen none of these movies except the first two hours of The Wolf of Wall Street, and I have to say Dallas Buyers Club looks a lot better. So based on that clip, I'm rooting for it to win Best Picture. But that could change as other well-edited clips come out! Edit: I missed American Hustle but nothing changes!

Best Animated Short and Best Animated Feature Otherwise Known as the 'Toonies

Rust Cohle and Kim Novak (so Twitter tells me) had the first "Errr, whut?" presentation moment with their moment at the microphone, and a very scared French man accepted the award for Mr. Hublot. A quick Wikipedia search says that Novak is 80 years old but she's clearly a witch because how else could she have gotten up there to talk with Matthew Mr. 2014 McConaughey? Frozen won for Best Animated Feature and everyone seemed very happy about that, and also it's very appropriate that Novak said, "Frozen."

Best Visual Effects

Gravity won but all the internet will care about is Emma Watson was out there with Joseph Gordon Levitt, and they make up the future of celebrity. Don't let us down, E-Dubs and JL-GEE!

Karen O. and a guitar perform a song

Zac Efron can't read a teleprompter, but what I got is that Karen O. of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs sang "The Moon Song" from Her and this is probably cool. There was a huge moon in the background because, well, I'm not sure why, but it gave us this tweet from Poindexter:

Best Live Action Short Film and Best Documentary Short Subject

I was in the bathroom! But Helium won and some guys said thanks! And there was a quick shot of Hannibal Lecter in the crowd so that was cool. The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life won Best Documentary Short and someone who was sitting next to me said, "Ooh that was good." WELL LA-DI-DA sorry I guess you are so much better than me for having seen it. In other news, one of the winners was wearing a fake crocodile jacket and it was awesome.

Best Documentary Film About Real Things

Bradley Cooper decided to take it down 40 notches from his red carpet antics and announced the winner for Best Documentary, which was 20 Feet From Stardom. Then the lady who the film was about sang and just go for it lady! I'd watch two hours of that.

The Governors Awards (a.k.a. Sorry we didn't get you a real Oscar)

Did you know that House of Cards isn't actually that great of a show? Kevin Spacey didn't, and he opened up his presentation with a Frank Underwood bit. Anyway, Steve Martin won one and I said FINALLY. Angela Lansbury won one also. So did Piero Tosi. And Angelina Jolie won a Humanitarian award for Hackers. But most importantly, my pizza just arrived and it's DEE-liscious.

Best Pelicula de la Forencio

Best Foreign Language Film went to The Great Beauty and these are always the best speeches. It's like, "Wow, America is so great." 

Introduction: Nebraska vs. Her vs. Gravity

Old people! Sexy computers! Spaaaaaaaace! Now I'm wondering why I never made it to the theaters more often after seeing clips of these flicks. Oh, it's because I'm too busy staying in and writing Revolution reviews. But if I had the chance to see one of them, I'd go with Her and then Nebraska and then Gravity. So Her moves on to the winner's bracket. Tyler Perry introduced these movies. Let that sink into your head for a bit. 

U2

Haven't we had enough of these guys in 2014 already? Ireland, don't be shy, ask for them back.

Achievement in Noise, Mixing and Editing

Gravity swept both of these awards, which is amazing considering there isn't any sound in space!

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Presenters are just flying through these intros now. THANKS JARED LETO! Lupita Nyong'o won the award for 12 Years a Slave and everything was right in the universe for this moment. Outstanding, earnest speech; outstanding, blue dress. 

The pizza gag and someone talking

Ellen might've actually had pizza delivered to the theater and it was an actual bit. Jennifer Lawrence chowed that sh*t down. That pizza delivery guy was scooted out of there so fast once the cameras were off him. Then some lady came out and showed off some drawings? 

Best Achievement in Cinematography 

Bill Murray and Amy Adams presented this award and it went to Gravity but I think it should have gone to Bill Murray because he was great. He nominated his buddy Harold Ramis as well, and the entire world went "Awwwwww." 

Best Editing 

This was your chance to use the "This ceremony could have used an editor" joke. Gravity won of course. 

Musical performance: Pink sings "Over the Rainbow"

Oddly, someone who once sang "Get the Party Started" put everyone to sleep during this entirely unnecessary musical bit in honor of the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz. Honestly, the iPad commercial that followed was much better and was a better use of everyone's time.

The Benedict Cumberbatch awards

The award for Best Production Design went to Baz Luhrman's wife AGAIN for The Great Gatsby but Benedict Cumberbatch! He can really melt hearts! 

Time-stretching montage number 7: More heroes

So there's this "heroes of movies" theme going on I guess with all these montages? And yes, Will Smith's son was in it to make it totally legit. So, how did you guys like this week's episode of The Walking Dead? I thought it was great

In Memorium montage

The celebrity's only enemy is the cold hand of death. And many died this year, as we saw. But I didn't know that Albert S. Meinheimer from The Naked Gun 2 died so I got really sad for real. UPDATE: Another enemy of celebrities and everyone is Bette Midler performing "The Wind Beneath My Wings." It was like when Seth MacFarlane sang about seeing everyone's boobs last year except worse.

Introduction: Philomena vs. Captain Phillips vs. 12 Years a Slave 

Wow, this shocked even me but I would watch Captain Phillips out of these three I guess? These all seem awfully serious. I'm in more of a Grown Ups 2 kind of mood. That leaves Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club, and Her as the winners of my mini-bracket movie wars. And I have to pick one of these to root for, so I'll go with Nebraska. I mean Her! Oh I don't care. 

Musical performance: Adele Azim sang "Let It Go"

Jern Travultring mispronounced this lady's name which is embarrassing for him! It must be the 154th embarrassing thing Travolta has done. But Idina Menzel sang super hard at us so I will pick her to win over Pharrell's hat. 

Best Score for a Movie, Best Song for a Film prizes

Gravity wins again so look forward to seeing "BEST SCORE WINNER '14" plastered all over the front of the Blu-ray packaging. But Tim, what scores have you been listening to a lot? Mostly the ones for Wild Hogs and Last Vegas. "Let it Go" from Frozen won for Best Song, which was a huge win for people who weren't platinum-selling recording artists. And these two songwriters gave a very inspired off-the-cuff improvised speech thanking just the right amount of people in just the right sing-song voice. 

Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Un-Adapted Screenplay

John Ridley took home the coveted "I adapted that!" trophy for 12 Years a Slave, and he gave away all his credit by saying everyone else was responsible for it. Spike Jones won Original Screenplay for writing a movie about a guy who falls in love with his phone. It's time to get this ceremony going so we're moving awfully fast and I think they just cut off Ellen. 

Best at Directing Mooovies! 

Alfonso Cuaron won for Gravity, but I swear to god my baby just farted really loudly and went, "Ahhhhh." She's three months old! #Gifted Anyway, how was Gravity? I try to avoid movies that will make my heart literally explode. If you'd like to see more of Cuaron's directing, good news! He directed (and executive produced) the pilot for Believe, which airs next Monday on NBC. 

Best Leading Female Actor of a Movie This Eligible Season

Cate Blanchett won for Blue Jasmine and her dress was a huge hit in my living room. Blanchett seems like she should be bronzed and put in front of a museum because she's awesome. It's like Meryl Streep passed the torch. 

Macho Man of the Year

Matthew McConaughey won the award and all of a sudden we now live in a world where Matthew McConaughey is a Best Actor winner. This is one of those historical points in time. We are now in the year 0 M.M.B.A. He caught his Yellow King, it's a gold statuette. This speech is still going, it's so awesome, and because I am drunk, it also makes total sense.

Winner of the Right to Put "Best Picture" on Future On-Demand Advertisements

12 Years a Slave told Gravity to suck its technical awards and walks away with the trophy for Best Picture. Lots of people made jokes about how these Oscars felt like they went on for 12 years, and I guess they're right because on the East Coast it is past midnight! That's three-and-a-half hours, folks, or one Wolf of Wall Street.

Thanks for watching along with me! Now go catch up on The Real World: Ex-Plosion and come back tomorrow for Price's more in-depth photo recap!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/28/2016

Season 88 : Episode 1

184 Comments
Comments (184)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Ratatouille the rat"? RATATOUILLE THE RAT? OH MY GOD TIM YOU DID NOT JUST OH MY GOD NO. TELL ME YOU DIDN'T JUST DO THAT. TELL ME YOU DIDN'T JUST CALL REMY "RATATOUILLE" CUZ OTHERWISE I *WILL* KILL YOU AND I WON'T FEEL ANY REMORSE AT ALL OVER IT
Flag
"Did you know that House of Cards isn't actually that great of a show?"

If this wasn't an entirely silly and superfluous article, I'd lambast you for that.
Flag
And then Leo DiCaprio didn't win and I was so damn confused and frustrated
Flag
Uh, wouldn't Joseph Gordon-Levitt be JG-ELL instead of JL-GEE?
Flag
WHATTTTTTTTTTTT??, kevin spacey didnt win best actor?? WHATTTTTTTT

just kiding ehehehe :P

Flag
Excellent live blogging, but just to be nitpicky it's memoriam, not memorium.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/in memoriam
Flag
- House of Cards is too a good show !
- Hope you were not going ageist on Kim Novak . Not cool.
- Nebraska has several killer performances including Devin Ratray & Tim Driscoll as two willie lump lump throwback brothers spicing the drabbish family. Hysterical guys ! But no recognition.
- Little known fact Bill Murray and Harold Ramis had unresolved personal issues when Ramis died.
Flag
i watched the beginning & end, but watched the walking dead & talking dead in between.

it was a nice break. ellen was good & jared letto & cate blanchett speeches were the best
Flag
Brag time: I correctly predicted 22/24 of the winners.

Way to go me... well, I guess I'll go back to doing whatever I'm doing...
Flag
I really liked this oscar broadcast..I think its mostly because of Ellen.
Flag
Oh TIm, we don't want U2 back. Bono is just as much a dick over here as he is over there. :)
Matthew McConaghey is UNREAL! Yum.
Flag
meh. no pictures and no funny snarks. dissap
Flag
One thing Gravitiy really deserved was best editing. The technical awards always seem kind of random to me, the avarage viewer. Not this time. I loved the movie and I found it really refreshing that it WASN'T 2,5 hours long. It had the perfect length to tell its story and then it was done - such a rarity (I'm looking at you, Hobbit and Hunger Games)
Flag
I don't get it; the 2014 Grammy awards review was totally on point and fricking hilarious - seriously laugh out loud funny. It was spot on - the timing of the dry humour was impeccable and I found myself whizzing through it and wishing there was more when it ended; and so went back and read it again. But this oscars review is the exact opposite; boring, mediocre and even the 'jokes' (and I used that word loosely) feel real forced and not funny at all.

I don't understand the difference - one sparklingly excellent and the other darkly awful. One hilariously funny and the other so.....oh...wait......Surette didn't do the Grammy awards review did he?

Sorry but this review was more boring than the oscars; and that is actually hard to pull off. The thing is, you can either DVR the oscars and watch most of it on shuttle or even just wait for the edited highlights or results the next day - but this pile of unpleasant horse poop has to be waded through with no shortcuts.

I get that Surette is apparently annoyed that he had to do this review even whilst drunk; I get his disappointment at having to be a grown up for longer than five minutes at a time - but he should look on the bright side; he gets paid for this rubbish, he managed to slip in a fart joke (even if only via his baby daughter) and he managed to make it absolutely, crystal clear to the rest of us that he is a man-child who loves fart jokes, booze and grown ups 2 whilst listening to the wild hogs OST......that's more than most people get out of life, right?

As for the oscars - Ellen rocked it; I was chuffed that Leto, Nyong'o and McConaughey won their respective catagories. Not sure why Gravity won so much; I mean it was okay, but not that good.

I thought the tribute to Peter O'Toole (my all time favourite actor) was nice and would like to thank Surette for posting the pic; even though his para on the hollywood biggies that have died was painful to read......in fact the whole review was painful actually.

Jared Leto deserves another oscar for making everyone zip into x2 speed to try and get through the whole thing before the viewing public passed out through boredom or alcohol poisoning.

Overall the oscars show was better than Surette's review..........at least we can fast forward the oscars. Next year PLEASE, I am BEGGING you TV.com, get Price Peterson to do the review - the man's humour is so dry, he's his own walking desert; but, most importantly, he's funny - very, very laugh out loud FUNNY. Hey, maybe he could tag team on the oscars with Ellen - now that would be good. ;)
More+
Flag
I may be very wrong, but an actual review might have still be put up. This was more of a live stream discussion of Tim's thoughts on the Awards, and was more of a forum for users to talk about is as they watched it live.

It may not have been Tim's best work, but he had to think on his feet. I bet if you look down at some of my instant thoughts/ comments on the awards they'd be a lot more try-hard and a lot less funny than what Tim produced. Give the guy a break.
Flag
I'd love to give him a break, I genuinely would - but all his reviews are the same. Pouty sulks that show clearly, he hates the shows he reviews.....ALL of them. It's really hard to read review after review where he hates this, he hates that, it's boring, it's far too deep, it's over thoughtful; or it's too shallow, too unbelievable, too light hearted....etc, etc.

One of the few shows he seems to love is SoA and that's only been since it jumped the shark so high that I think it reached the outer atmosphere - but, whilst the fans hated the changes, apparently Surette loved them all. The more the fans raged at the ridiculousness of the plots eaach week, the more he crowed his delight. He loved the toilet humour, the fake breasts, the sex jokes, the random violence with no point......

Why not let him review shows that have that kind of content, like The League? Beavis and Butthead? Basically anything with Hooters jokes, fart jokes and many references to beer and sex. He'll be much happier and so will those of us who are more into shows like Those who Kill, any sci fi show (he seems to despise the entire genre) and Revolution (to name a few of his, apparently, loathed shows).

Sure they're not epic pieces of tv, but theyre not the garbage he makes each and every episode out to be either. I get it that some critics think the title means they're supposed to criticise.......everything; but someone really needs to make him understand that's not actually the case.

Other reviewers don't seem to hate the same way on shows they review. They might not like them; but they don't club the show to death, hack up the dead body and then suck the marrow from the bloody bones like Surette does. The oscars was the final straw for me - sure slag it off, everyone does, it's a too long luvvie love fest; but at least make it funny.

Like the grammy review; it was 1am and I was laughing out loud so much my husband made me go downstairs because I was keeping him awake. :) It was a fairly hard review, but it was really funny and so that took the sting out of it; that's all I'm saying.

Just, for the love of God, don't let Surette review GoT when it comes back - the hardcore fans of that show make the Whovians look like cuddly teddy bears. I know, I dared to criticise an episode over on another site - just said that "Theon Greyjoy should die now as the torture's getting a bit OTT for me"'; nothing really major.....wow, I was scare a lynch mob would come for me. :$
More +
Flag
Staff
You are correct, we'll have a photo recap for you later today!
Flag
I didn't watch the awards because they're in the middle of the night in my timezone, and because I knew they would only piss me off. I have only seen two of the best picture nominees, Gravity and American Hustle, and they're both pretty bad movies. They are both totally unworthy of being nominated for best picture, and they were both nominated in TEN categories.

I'm skimming through the list of winners at oscars.go.com, and it looks like American Hustle didn't win anything (HA-HA), but Gravity won in seven categories. That's just ridiculous. At least it it didn't win best picture.

American Hustle just makes me feel that someone wanted to make something cool, but doesn't know what cool looks like. The story and the characters weren't that interesting. The actors were good, but I think it's much harder to win an acting award when you're in a bad movie. I'm surprised that they were nominated.

Gravity was somewhat entertaining, I'll admit that, and it was probably a lot more entertaining for people who don't get as irritated about stupid details as I do. There were a lot of stupid details. The worst was Clooney's death scene. If you're floating past a heavy object in space and get tangled up in some cables or something that are attached to the heavy object, there are three things that can happen when those cables are fully extended: 1. They break. 2. You get untangled. 3. You bounce back. If 1 or 2 happens, you float away into space and die. If 3 happens, you may have to spend one more minute with a woman your own age. What happened in the movie was that some magical force kept pulling on Clooney after the cables were fully extended, so that he didn't bounce back. It just kept pulling harder and harder so that he had to cut himself loose to avoid breaking the cables (which would have made Bullock float away with him). That scene alone was so awful that it would have ruined the movie for me.

I also hated the completely unnecessary over-dramatization of every single thing that happened. It was already kind of thrilling to see a person who we didn't want to die in an extremely dangerous situation where no one could help her. There was no need to artificially add more tension to every little thing she did. I'm thinking of tools floating away and that sort of thing. Because of this, I find it absurd that it won best directing. The director has to be responsible for the choice to over-dramatize everything. It's his responsibility to go "enough is enough". At least it wasn't nominated for writing.

I don't know how it won visual effects when Iron Man 3 was also nominated. I guess it was that the Iron Man stuff wasn't exactly new or innovative. But it was better than the effects in Gravity.
More+
Flag
I didn't watch, but I also didn't watch True Detectives sadly because I don't have HBO. I did DVR it and watch the highlights though.

Ellen's opening bit could have used a little more zazz.

Hathaway's shiny dress was a bad idea, women should wear dresses that highlight their shapes, not hide them behind a plate of blingy armor.

What was the point of that animation montage? I was already fast-forwarding and then doubled it again. At the end, it ran 33 minutes long, which is offensive considering how little actual entertainment is here. Some of these handjobs should be given out at a separate ceremony, if you're not going to show Steve Martin's award in full, surely we don't need all these goddamn shorts and such either. Or Ellen.

Oh that hat, it still looks like it's full of vomit. Doug Benson's tweet was hilarious, remember when he used to be a non-weed-themed standup?

Who shot the red carpet photos?

Baz Luhrmann has 2 N's in his name.

Good lord, someone get Indiana Jones a coffee, stat! PS, there's a place you can trim for time, old actors rambling while introducing clips of movies we'll be seeing more clips of at the end of the goddamned show.

I so totally am wearing my sweats and in-house stained T-shirt, how did you know Tim? ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME RIGHT NOW, TIM?!?

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is awesome, saw him a couple years ago in the audience at Comic-Con, but he's starting to become our resident space troll.

Holy crap, I fast-forwarded through 95% of this show but by the time you got to Documentary I had reached my limit. And I watched all of last year's!

Thank you for saying House of Cards is overrated. It is. It's a well-acted and well-scripted soap opera, but because of the format people think it's the second coming of Jesus, and he's carrying a Honeybaked ham.

Her seems like the type of movie you watch OnDemand. Nebraska seems like the type of movie that's actually an SNL parody when Bruce Dern is the host that week, but I blame that squarely on being in black and white and having MacGruber as the co-star. Gravity I'm told is a big screen delight, but it held exactly zero appeal to me for whatever reason - I like the people starring in the film, I like space... oh I know what it is, I dislike disaster films and Alfonso Cuaron has annoyed me with every film of his I've seen, including Y Tu Mama Tambien.

I like U2, didn't like them enough to sit through their performance here though.

Did you know that in space, no one can hear you fart?

I really hope 12 Years a Slave won awards for its merits and not white liberal guilt. I hate when Hollywood lauds something so heavily because it's black and highbrow. On the other hand, suck it The Butler, obvious Oscar-grab, no soup for you!

The stars eat pizza too? Awesome! This bit was stagey though, because Greco's right across the street makes a slightly better 'za and it's even bigger. Still, I wanted it to be real. What was with that weird talking at the beginning? There were a number of audio issues this show, but I bet it still wins an emmy.

Holy crap did Pink not deliver with that Over the Rainbow. I think she was trying her best, but she's just not that talented a performer and she's not a big enough star to make up for it.

Ugh, that movie heroes, what was the point of that? That felt like filler in a show that's run too long nearly every time.

I was totally like WTF Wind Beneath My Wings and then fast-forwarded.

9 movies is too many for best picture.

So surprised to see John Revolting there, what ever happened to his career? What does he think this is, the '80s?

Spike Jonze (WTF Tim? Learn to spell someone's fake name!) won an Oscar for original screenplay, this is the guy who dresses up like a very elderly naked woman, what a country! Still, gotta love that he took it in a crowd like that.

Cuaron won directing, and I rolled my eyes. Wow, you got a good performance out of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, you're a genius.

Alright alright alright! That's awesome that he won an Oscar.

Ellen I'm voting down the middle, she didn't ruin anything but she didn't light it on fire either. It wasn't as sad as Billy Crystal's last turn, nor was it as awful as James Franco.

The fact that Ellen made a joke about 12 Years a Slave winning due to the inherent reverse-racism (which is just regular racism trying to be nice) three and a half hours prior is so strange, especially with Brad Pitt being the only one on the stage willing to address the mic for a while, and he seemed sheepish about even that. Doesn't make me more likely to see it though, racism and slavery suck and the only movie I'll watch about them is Blazing Saddles... wait, Bart isn't a slave in that movie!

So, is it Price doing the photo recap?
More+
Flag
Can't wait for Price's recap :D!
Flag
Will Smith (AKA second worst actor of 2013) presented the best picture and I could not stop laughing.
Flag
Mg.. poor LEO... shame on you academy!.
Flag
I've so waited for this. Not give DiCaprio or Lawrence an Oscar and the internet breaks. Jesus guys. Scoresese didn't get one till 2006, and his work up to that point was more influential than just about anyones.
Flag
Scorsese's lack of Oscar gold should tell you that it's good just to be nominated. Did all his losses mean his films weren't good? No.
Flag
He should have acted better, I guess.
Flag
Or maybe worst.. but getting a little bit more skinny to compensate?... :P .. I really dunno why Leo and Mr. Scorsese keep attending to the Oscars... it's always the same.
Flag
When are they going to start showing the Raspberry's on TV? I was so disappointed I couldn't watch it yesterday.
Flag
Better than the majority of the garbage Comedy Central airs on weekends anyway.
Flag
I feel i have been confirmed in my theory about Gravity, it is a movie that should have been used as ride in Disney Land as a 4D movie, nothing else.
Flag
And Brad Pitt steals all the credit for 12 Years a Slave, just like character tried to steal all the moral superiority in the movie. I guess he deserves credit for finding a way to win an Oscar without acting.
Flag
What on earth are you on about? I am Nigerian and we read 12 years a slave in secondary school and it is part of historical knowledge that a Canadian guy is instrumental in liberating Northup.
Brad Pitt was a producer of the movie. He produced the movie. I think it's been said hundreds of times now that the movie wouldn't have been made, especially not on this scale, without his pushing of it. McQueen cast him, he requested he star in the movie because he likes him and respect him as an actor. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but seeing all the likes for this post offends me. People should try to be a bit more aware before they jump on the social justice train. I'm not a huge fan of his as an actor per se, but it really bothers me to see people complaining about his moral role in this. And about the 'winning an Oscar without acting' part, what aspect of that is the problem here? The fact that he, (unlike many people in Hollywood, let's be honest) supported and had the confidence in a great black director to make a great Oscar worthy movie? What a dick!

More +
Flag
That was awesome! Well said.
Flag
Steals. Desperately tries to find anybody else to do the talking. Whatever. It's not like he personally put up money to produce the film before anybody else or anything though.
Flag
Have to agree, I loved the movie up until the point his character just popped up, sure the movie needed an end-game, but he felt so ungodly forced and ridiculous. Still, no sense disliking a movie that good just because of one bad character.
Flag
You know it's a true story based on the book, I'm gonna assume you do, so they didn't just invent a character for an end-game. That is what happened to Solomon so they sort of needed that character.

Sure it didn't need to be Brad Pitt as he is jarringly famous that it breaks the illusion briefly but he did finance it and produce it when others wouldn't so him claiming the oscar is exactly the right thing. Best Film always gets collected by the producers.
Flag
I wasn't very familiar with the original story so much, and do understand the need for his character, but I think it was more the way he portrayed the character (or even how the character may have been written) that just seemed to undermine such a strong and emotional story leading up to his arrival, it just felt like he phoned it in.
Flag
12 years a slave? Seriously? I'm so disappointed.
Flag
Completely saw 12 Years winning it... off to watch TD right now! Later foilks.
Flag
Congrats to 12 Years a Slave for winning "Best Picture"

Good night, all.
Flag
Stay classy, Matt. You everybody's hero.
Flag
Who's it gonna be, Will?
Flag
Jesus Christ... That speech is SO COHLE!!!!
Flag
I see McConaughey is still in character as Rust Cohle for his acceptance speech.
Flag
Surfer Dude will win EVERY AWARD this year!
Flag
Poor Jennifer Lawrence! Her endless clumsiness has finally gotten the better of her. I wonder if someone was actually laughing at her, or if she's just super-paranoid now? I bet she was thinking the whole time, 'Don't trip over. Don't trip over...'
Flag
Oh yeah, my girl Cate brings it home. Keep on doin' it for Australia! Amiright No1Slayerette? Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Flag
Act like you've won something before.
Flag
Once I won a recorder playing contest in primary school I think.
Flag
GOOD FOR CATE - yes, give thanks for Woody Allen, cause he did in fact wrote this script and cast you.

But.... seriously, woman: wrap it up.
Flag
Aw, man! The great Sandra Bullock lost. :(
Flag
What a pleasure to see Sidney Poitier! Frail, but still going strong. Bless you Sidney!
Flag
Poor Idina. First, either Travolta forgot his glasses or just straight up had a mini-stroke. Read the teleprompter, dude! It says Idina Menzel! Secondly, her earpiece must not have been working well because her timing was waaaay off. Lastly, her voice! Ouch, that sounded like it hurt. Someone give her some honey and hot lemon water because there's no way Menzel misses a note like that if she's not crazy sick. I kind of want to give her a great big hug.
Flag
Apparently Travolta is dyslexic, so that might be what caused the mix up. Next time, show up to rehearsal, man!
Flag
The right director won... he should have won for Children of Men, really, but, hey, his last movie is alright too!

Flag
Yay for Gravity once again!
Flag
It's been so long since a single film won this many Oscars.
Flag
All technical, though... Even with all of those wins, I really doubt it will end up with Best Picture.
Flag
Happy that Spike Jonze won best original script - Her is a great movie.
Flag
Yes! Spike Jonze finally wins an Oscar!
Flag
Congrats to Her on finally gaining an Oscar
Flag
Yay for Her! Was definitely my favourite film of those nominated this year, even if it only wins for Best Original Screenplay.
Flag
That Lopez fellow just pulled an EGOT.
Pretty sure he is the first latin MAN to ever done it - congrats, man!
Flag
I'm so happy "Let it go" won an Oscar :)

Flag
How Gravity wins everything is beyond my understanding. Most stupid movie ever!
Flag
It's a drama. Your problem with it is you took it too seriously. It was never meant to be a doc.
Flag
I actually hope Gravity will win in both best actress and the best picture categories. I really liked that movie.
Flag
I nicknamed it A Series of Unfortunate Events in Space.
Flag
Yep, Gravity's score is pretty awesome.
Flag
I'm still adamant that if After Earth had gotten Willow Smith to do the music for the film that it would have won the Oscar for Best Original Score.
Flag
You are clearly a depraved masochist and need counselling.
Flag
I just thought that if you're going to use the talents of two Smith's, why not go for the trifecta?
Flag
And leave out Jada? Arguably the greatest talent of the entire family? Just go full quartet already!
Flag
Idina Menzel, it's Idina Menzel, John. IDINA MENZEL.
Flag
Well, at least they won. Epic EGOT speech, Happy Birthday to you, let's make Frozen 2!
Flag
Blow job jokes! Stay classy Jamie Foxx.
Flag
Taye Diggs' super-hot wife.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members