The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

FOX (ended 1994)

Gislef

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. Fan Reviews (30)

• Theme song still lives.

5.9
    First off, a western in the 90's would be like a reality show in the 60's, wouldn't work.

The theme song still lives on, but on another network (NBC). NBC Sports uses it during the Olympics & had used it for when they had Major League Baseball (96-98). It was even the theme song for the 1997 World Series (Cleveland Indians vs Florida Marlins).

It marks the second theme song to cross networks. The other being Double Dare (CBS-1976) to Card Sharks (NBC-1978).
  • One of a kind

This series had a cult following when it aired briefly (1993-94), but deserves to find a wider audience on video. This odd but effective mix of western adventure, wry comedy and the occasional bit of fantasy was always inventive and rarely dull or predictable. The production values were high and there was a fondness for anachronistic joking, especially with regard to the inventions we take for granted in modern life - motorcycles, denim jeans etc. The assortment of bad guys really helps make the show - one week the villain is a suave gambler, the next it is a set of dim but dangerous brothers, the next a land-bound Caribbean pirate! And a low-key Bruce Campbell makes an effective off-beat hero. A real original.
  • In a short story this tv show is about the old west and how things used to be. Good versus evil and you all know how that goes. We have Brisco County Jr. who fights for anyone with a solid cause and the truth. Along the way is his trusty horse Comet.

After recently watching this whole tv show again. I will admit. This was a really good show. Not in the top ten for ratings but a show worthy of coming back for maybe another season or two. So many things get taken out of our reality these days. We somehow forget how once things used to be. We get older and we start to miss all these great tv shows that used to be on. Where does all the time go you may ask. I was impressed with how Briscos character was coming along in the story but I figured they could of put to rest the story about Bly sooner then later. I also liked all of the shows characters were coming together to help one another when it mattered most. This could of been so much more and I wonder if the networks cared about it or not. Maybe one day time will tell us all why Brisco County Jr. could of been so much more to all of us. Will just all have to wait for that coming thing Brisco always says.
  • An incredible show. I can't believe it only ran one season.

This show was an amazing adventure all around. I watched the episodes as a young teenager when they were new, and I just finished watching the entire season on DVD. I am amazed that the show only ran one season (albeit a very long season). It would be wonderful to see some kind of reunion movie done, however, I was saddened to read that Julius Carry (Lord Boller) died in August of 2008 of pancreatic cancer. Nevertheless, I think they should try to do some kind of reunion episode.

If you are looking for a show that is clean for children, but fun for the whole family, this one is the one!!
  • Waaay ahead of its time!

My husband and I were both thrilled with this series when it originally aired.

It was a truly fun Western/SciFi/Adventure show that we could both enjoy.

Here was this Harvard Law Graduate searching for the members of the infamous John Bly Gang who killed his father, to bring them to justice.

He is accompanied by his one time rival, Lord Bowler, played by Julius Carry a prolific actor since the '70s, tracking down the John Bly Gang members one by one. He is also aided by a number of eccentric characters along the way, including Socrates Poole, played by Christian Clemenson of Boston Legal and Dixie Cousins, played by Kelly Rutherford whom I really enjoyed in the '80s Soap, Generations (her nickname was Sam on Generations, which I thought was really cool) .

Why oh why does Fox have to keep canceling such high quality shows?
  • I really enjoyed this show. I was not watching TV in 93 or 94. I watched the reruns. If I was watching TV, this would of been one of my favorite shows.

This show should never of been taken off the air. I think a lot of the time Managment does not know what the public wants to see. And they don't give good shows a chance. I thought this show was excellent. The characters were great. The acting and the show line was excellent. I was really upset when they took the reruns off the air. Why do they take good shows off the air before they have a chance to succeed. I know it has been to many years, but I would really like to see a show like this back on the air. With characters as good as these characters. The actors were excellent.
  • In a class all by itself

How do you explain the appeal of this show to someone who has never seen it? "Well, it's about an Old West bounty hunter who's a Harvard educated lawyer, and he and his friends track down criminals and time travelers, and it's a comedy/western/sci-fi..." The best way to show people how great this show was is to show it to them. Thankfully, the whole series is now out on DVD after a few years of TNT syndication. To a fourth-grade kid, this was the best thing around on Friday nights, and watching it now as a recent college grad has been just as much fun. Bruce Campbell is a cool, self-deprecating hero (he reminds me a lot of James Garner...anyone else?) The action and the comedy, the sly asides and the stunts...and Dixie Cousins(!) It's a light-hearted, but still exciting, adventure series that is more "Wild Wild West" than "Tombstone," and its cheesy sense of pulp adventure is something you just don't see on TV anymore.

It's a shame this show didn't get at least a couple of seasons to run. When you hear Bruce Campbell reflect on the show in interviews, he has nothing but praise for it, and I think it's easily his best role. I have worked through the whole show and cannot wait to watch it again. It's just as good as I remembered it. Too bad Julius Carry and Kelly Rutherford have not enjoyed greater success after this show ended. I have caught Christian Clemenson (He'll always be Socrates to me!) on a few episodes of "Boston Legal," and Bruce Campbell continues to pop up in film and TV. At least the whole show is out, and I would definitely recommend it.
  • Fantastic! Why this show was cancelled, I'll never know…

This shows is a must for many types of people: Bruce Campbell fans, movie buffs, fans of action/adventure (especially westerns), those people (like me) who always seem to fall in love with shows well after they have been prematurely cancelled, and the list goes on…

For the majority of episodes, this series seamlessly blended western, comedic and sci-fi elements, which is no mean feat! Brisco County Jr., played by Bruce Campbell, sets out to avenge his father's killers (most specifically John Bly) at the end of the 19th century. Along the way he picks up a companion called Lord Bowler, and the exchanges between these two are hilarious. Also a regular is Christian Clemenson, currently 'Hands' on Boston Legal, who here plays a lawyer helping Brisco in his quest. The three of them are often thrown into the path of the mysterious 'Orb', which is always fun. And you can't forget Dixie, who is a fabulous character.

All in all, the series is wonderful. The only complaint I'd make is that the last episodes didn't really seem to go anywhere, which is a slightly disappointing ending for such a great show. But I would prefer that, as opposed to an unresolved cliff-hanger! I'd recommend this show to any one who likes their shows even slightly more clever than the norm, or those who don't mind missing that particular aspect.
  • Why do the good shows always get cancelled???

Ahead of its time in MANY ways. Brisco was funny, adventurous, supernatural, litterally something for everyone. I enjoyed every episode. ESPECIALLY those featuring the Elvis character. lol!!!

Bruce Campbell should be rehired and start the show again. It was a sleeper that needed more time to catch it's breath. If they rean it today, I'm sure it would be a hit. A wonderful combination of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and encapsuled in a Western of all things!! Check out the DVDs. If you can't get them, the episodes are readily available on the Bittorrent network. SO give Brisco and Bowler a shot! I'm sure you'll enjoy.
  • If catch this, change the channel.

It's one of those sad things that sometimes, shows don't really market themselves very well and, as a result, are woefully undervalued. Such is Brisco County, a western genre light comedy show with a hint of sci-fi thrown in for good measure.

When this show first came out I didn't watch it, primarily because I assumed it was simply another Western series, like Bonanza, or High Chapparal, to which I had been forced to endure by my parents as a kid. So I missed out (first time round) on something really fantastic.

Luckily, I have since started gathering up any episodes I can find and have been able, at last, to appreciate the wonder that is Bruce Campbell. Is there nothing he can't do? If ever there was an actor that is deserving of fame and fortune, it is him.

As for Brisco County, Bruce's portrayal is surprisingly subtle to those familiar with his Evil Dead work. But the trademark quips and facial expressions are all still there, just slightly understated.

As a show Brisco is harmless and great fun. It won't tax your brain, and is a welcome way to unwind with a beer or two. The supporting cast are all good, even the Mr T clone, Julius Carry. I haven't seen all the episodes yet, but I look forward to watching Messrs Campbell and Co eagerly.

Look out for Comet, Brisco's horse. He's as much a character as any of the human cast.
  • A show ahead of its time, and far too underappriciated.

A tremendous show from my childhood, maybe I'm dating myself a little bit by saying this but this is one of the first shows i remember watching in primetime. After the much appriciated return of Brisco on DVD allowed my to realize how much I used to enjoy the show, as well as how much more I enjoy it today. The jokes are fantastic, the advantage of shows like this and other well written shows like firefly, is the writters are talleted enough that even using time pieces they never lower themselves to current event writing or jokes that will die after time has passed (see any sitcom from the past decade Friends, Will & Grace, etc.) A tremendous show that I love watching even today again and again.
  • Fun, Sweet, Endearing

This was such a fun show ... The characters were slapstick funny and the action was great. The whole premise of the show, a kind of back to future meets wild wild west, was really fun. The writing was quirky and funny, the cast were endearing and the whole show, even as short as it was, was a pleasure to watch. Brisco was one of those guilty pleasures, just a fly by the seat of your pants adventure that could turn a bad day into a good one. It was a short but sweet ride into the past, and many people will remember it.
  • Last of the great TV westerns. Where have they gone. A smart, funny, and entertaining show. Action western with a touch of scifi.

I love this show. Brisco takes me back to childhood. Cowboys and Indians. American classic western with non stop action. Humor, fun, and scifi included. Chemistry of the cast was so good you want to see them over and over again. I wished they would made a couple movies just for tv like the maverick series. Maverick style western comedy even though had a touch of Wild, Wild, West in it. Comet the horse who thinks he is a human. Classic, Lord Boller, Pistol Pete, and who could forget Dixie. I am leaving others out but thats how many good characters are in it. I think political correctness hurts westerns cause we don't want to offend anybody. That's how life was though. Brisco County Jr could have not been any better. Just a great family show for everyone. Cool gun draws and shoot outs.
  • I loved watching this show when it was on and before I knew it, it was gone!!

This was such a great show!!! I was like 12 when it was on, but I loved it. This was before I knew much about Bruce Campbell. I've seen a lot of his stuff, now that I'm older and am a big Bruce Campbell fan.

I just recently looked this show up on the internet and have found that it's on DVD!! I really want to own it, but I don't think any show is worth what this one costs. Don't get me wrong, I love Bruce and I love this show, but if I just wait long enough it'll come down to $30 or so. That's about my limit for tv shows on DVD. After all, I'm not made of money and there are a lot of shows I want to own.

I can't wait to get this show so I can watch it all over again, I've seen every episode, but it's been such along time that I've forgotten what most of them were about.
  • Descendant of "Wild Wild West" and "Maverick"; witty, clever.

Brisco was conceived as a sort of science-fictional western, in the same vein as some of the sf-inspired episodes of "The Wild Wild West" (flying pie-plate, most of the Loveless episodes, etc.) In addition, it added (more explicitly than WWW) the comic sense of much of "Maverick". Centered around a likable title character (played with panache by Bruce Campbell), the show was hugely entertaining. (Though like many not-pigeonhole-able series, its network - Fox - didn't quite know what to do with it, and cancelled it far too quickly.) The first two-thirds of the series had as an overarching story of Brisco's search for the entirely wicked (played with lizardly charm by Billy Drago) John Bly and his gang, who killed Brisco's father in the pilot. Intermixed was the saga of "the orb", an otherworldly device that Bly was also seeking, and the mystery of what it really was and where it came from. (In my opinion, the wrapping up of the orb and Bly story was done far too quickly, and left the show merely episodic. Apparently this was forced on the makers by Fox, in one of those too-many-executives-who-think-they-know-television problems that no network seems to be able to avoid.) In its place came additional characters (for instance Whip Morgan and the elvis-y Sherrif Viva) that tried to to fill the void. But the show didn't really need any more characters -- Brisco and Bowler were the buddies, Dixie the femme fatale, Poole the story-engine, Wickwire the sf-engine, and Pete Hutter the baddie. The extra characters just got in the way, really.

But the breezy character interactions (remiscent of 'screwball comedies', and similar to that which made "The X-Files" successful) are what made the show memorable to me. Brisco's interest in "the coming thing" broke the mold of Western characters who looked at best to the present; Brisco knew the West he grew up in was fading away, and looked forward to that prospect. Brisco and Bowler's relationship -- going through the show from compeditors to partners -- were in the best tradition of 'buddy movies', and was a driving characteristic of the show. Other characters were memorable too -- Pete Hutter was voluably neurotic, Dixie was Mae West reborn, Wickwire sort of an anti-Loveless, and Poole a brave coward. With these characters, even mediocre stories could shine. A show that was killed too quickly.
  • When his father is murdered by an escaping outlaw gang, former attorney Brisco County, Jr. vows to bring them all to justice by becoming a bounty hunter. A mysterious orb causes Brisco to realize something's going on that is not 'quite of this world.'

With a perfect mixture of mystery, humor, and interesting characters, this western was such a refreshing change to everything being offered on TV at the time. Unfortunately, it didn't get high enough ratings to get more than one season's worth of episodes from Fox. Why does Fox buy such cutting edge series only to cancel them, usually without even a true chance to catch on??? (Firefly, for instance). Fox is the network where great shows get killed off.

Bruce Campbell (called by some the King of B Movies) is wonderful in the title role, but his supporting cast is equally great. Julius Carry plays the eccentric bounty hunter called Lord Bowler; and Christian Clemenson as Socrates Poole, the attorney-liaison with the Chesterfield Club (a group of robber barons, appropriately named for or formerly stars of old TV westerns). Strong recurring characters of a dancehall star/con artist, various bad guys and other bounty hunters also provide this series with entertaining plot lines.

A touch of the fantastic and sly pop references provide the humor which helped make this show a cult favorite, and one of my own favorites as well. Now that the DVDs are out, and I've satisfied myself via Netflix that the show really was as good as I remembered (sometimes memory can be a terrible trickster), I have ordered my own DVD set to watch again and again. I recommend everyone do the same.
  • Why did they cancel this great Show???

This is one of the greatist western/sci-fi/comidy/action tv series of all times why did they think it was way ahead of it's time i cant understand it so what if it was ahead of it's time i don't care. The show has made me a fan of westerns and pluse the theme song gets stuck in your head all the time (in a good way) i'm s glad when the box set came out now i can see this great show 24/7.
  • It is finally here on DVD! This show is one of the ALL time underrated shows. I thought this show would be cheesy when I started to rewatch it on DVD 13 years later...but NO!

The writing and actibng is actually VERY good. Buy this or rent it (at least take your friends copy for a while!) and you won't regret it!

I seriously thought the show would seem cheesy and campy by today's standards, but I was wrong (yea sucks to be wrong). I thought I loved the show way back when because I was an Evil Dead Ash fan, but it wasn't that either...the show is just plain good.

The special effects are also better than I thought they would be by today's standards also. This show is just one of the BEST. Watch it! Tell me if you like it. I would like to here from other scifi fans who don't like the show. Maybe i am still blinded, but this show rocks!
  • cool show

this was a cool show for its time. and it had bruce "don't call me ash" cambell. one of the funniest actors of our day. i did not think the show would last very long, and i was right. but at least it was fun while it lasted. i wish they would do a tv movie.
  • The Quick and the Evil Dead

• The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. really shows a lot of potential.

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. really shows a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the dramatic opening which pulled in until the very end, simply fades out at the end. It's unfortunate but that's a big problem with many shows on tv today. Great start to pull everyone in but botches it up at the end.
  • Brisco and the whole cast including comet had a way about the west. The show was GREAT!!!

Brisco County Jr. is one of the best western type show I have seen as a series on tv. I was shocked when the first season was over and there was no more Brisco!! I thought the story line was one of a kind, it sure had me waiting for the next episode to see what Brisco, Comet, Boulder, and all the others were up to. Bruce Campbell fit this part all to well I thought. I hope that some day Brisco will return to tv, even if it is only to re-run all the episodes over and over. PLEASE bring Brisco back!!! The show was the BEST!! From the first episode to the last you'll see, you'll not want it to end either. come back....
  • I was just happy that it looked like Bruce Cambell was going to have steady work.

I miss this show. I started the same time X-Files did and was on the same channel just before. I didn't have a weekend vacation like that since I was a kid and condidered "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" my little weekend get away.
    It was a western drama, with a smidge of horror, and a modecum of Sci-Fi. Billy Drago is a terrific villian. I'm a fan of Bruce Cambell who plays the "Aw shucks" titular character. The sets were quite authentic.
    It was too bad it never had a second season. At least the fledgling FOX showed a whole season and not seven out of thirteen episodes shot, before pulling it. I've heard it's finally comming to DVD, and I'm very excited.
  • The best western, cowboy, action/comedy show EVER!

Man I love watching Brisco County Jr. every day.
    It kindda brings back childhood memories, and of cause it\'s great fun, my favorit episode must be the one where Soc is being kidnapped, And Brisco and Boulder must save him from this lady, who dresses up in her dads clothes, and kills people... Any way, LOVE it, glad it\'s back!!!
  • A fantastic action adventure comedy, that would deserve to last much longer than only one season! The series featured great graphics and really laughable jokes and extremely funny and likeable characters, starring legendary Bruce Campbell.

I've seen the series recently and I must admit it's a 1990's classic. I mean, the series that combines western, action, adventure, comedy, romance, fantasy and drama is very hard to find nowadays, and not just that, the producers have mixed all the genres into a very interesting storyline!

I remember the Pilot being one of the best episodes in the whole series, it really dragged my attention. These days when I watch pilots of some newer series, I actually need to see about 5-6 episodes after that to finally get the point of everything.
    It was nothing like that with Brisco County, the writing was brilliant and without unnecessary complications and after seeing the thrilling pilot, I just couldn't wait to see more. Actually when I saw all of the eps, I wouldn't mind seeing them all over again.

Brisco County is among the first series I'll get on DVD, when it's released, because it's a series that deserves to be in the collection of any western or adventure series fan!

Watch it, your time won't be wasted!

Overall Rating: 9.2
    Moral Values: 8
    Fun Element: 10
    MPAA Elements: 9
    Originality: 10

• this was a great show that i miss!

this was a great show that i miss and i would like to know why it is always the shows i love that get canned! wouldn't it be great if we could convince the networks to bring back all of these great shows that never got the credit they deserve.
  • Great show starring the one and only Bruce Campbell

This show is incredible. I'm a huge Bruce Campbell fan and this was awesome. Too bad it only lasted one season.

It was an interesting plot that was very well written. The show was very funny and extremely fun to watch. Bruce Campbell was perfect.

It debuted on my birthday, thats gotta be some kind of sign.

BRING IT BACK!
  • Started off okay, but went downhill quickly.

7.4
    First off, when I watched this show during its original run (1993), I was around 10 years old. I was angry when it was cancelled, but about a year ago I managed to get the whole series on VCD and re-watched it. And I was...let down.

This could be just an example of "nothing is as good as you originally remember it," but upon watching it at 20 years of age rather than 10, the show really wasn't that phenomenal. The writing was hit or miss (sometimes REALLY MISS), and the last 7 episodes were almost unwatchable.

The whole show was about Brisco County, Jr. seeking revenge for the killing of his father. To find this revenge, he went out after Jon Bly and his gang as a bounty hunter hired by rich "robber-barons." Along the way, the mysterious "Orb" was introduced, that had the power to grant great power if someone was able to correctly use it. This took the show from being a clear-cut western and made it something else. The setup wasn't bad, but the show seemed to get worse as it went along, dropping particularly after episode 20.

-------SPOILERS AHEAD--------

Anyway, after rounding up most of Bly's gang, Brisco finally meets up with Bly, at which point he finds out that Bly is from the future, and is using the Orb to get back into the future...or something like that. It is kind of a disappointing cop-out, since Bly (as played by Billy Drago) was this super-cool-yet-evil character who seemed like a toughened man of the West. So to find out that he was from the future...enh, it just didn't do him justice.

Brisco and Bly had their final showdown in episode 20, which also wrapped up the whole Orb sidestory. Which meant that for the last 7 episodes, they needed something else to do. So the producers decided to make Brisco and his sometimes-companion Lord Bowler (Julius Carry) law agents. Their ensuing escapades were disappointing, kind of like when the A-Team stopped being an independent force for good and worked for Robert Vaughn in the last season of that show. There seemed to be nothing tying together the last 7 "Brisco" episodes, and the ending was generally unfulfilling.

Something else that I noticed upon re-viewing the show was the shift in the relationship between Brisco and Bowler. In the beginning, these two characters hated each other, and the tension between them if they ever had to work together was one of the best aspects in the show. They began working together more and more often, and by the end they were "friends," and were much less entertaining as a duo. As a kid I enjoyed when these two could work together, but as an adult I realized that the only reason the characters worked was because they hated each other.

Overall, the show wasn't terrible, and any fan of Bruce Campbell, Julius Carry, or Billy Drago should definetly try to see a few episodes. (I just happen to think they're all great) And some of the episodes were extremely interesting and well-written and well-acted. Even some of the secondary characters (Socrates Poole [Christian Clemenson], Dixie Cousins [Kelly Rutherford], Pete Hutter [the hilarious John Pyper-Ferguson]) were really fun to watch. But due to the plummeting quality in writing, I definitely understand why the show was cancelled.
  • Good

7.2
  • A western/action/comedy featuring the one and only Bruce Campbell. That right there should say that this show deserves a chance.

7.6
    A solid show that was a little bit action, a little bit western, and a little bit comedy. Sounds like a good mix to me. Plus, Bruce Campbell is in it so that scores it some points. On a whole, this show is an entertaining time filler that is loosley based on western themes and can deinately make you laugh. Its storylines are interesting and fairly original as well. All in all, it is worth the time to watch, but by all means is not the best show around.

My final review: worth the time...definately, worth buying on dvd...the jury's still out on that one.