The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Socrates' Sister

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 24, 1993 on FOX

• After Brisco captures the slippery Jack Randolph, a member of Bly's gang, Socrates' lawyer sister Iphigenia is tricked by Randolph into helping him break out of jail, as he sets of to recover his hidden loot in a submerged town. A reasonable episode...

Although shown a few episodes in, this was the first episode to be produced after the Pilot. So watching the series on DVD, where the episodes are presented in production order, this was the first regular episode that I saw after the Pilot.

It might have a very faint trace of the series finding it's footing, but is still a very reasonable episode. Like the Pilot, it has a plot with a number of twists and turns.

I didn't find the writing quite as sharp or as humorous as the Pilot, but it still had its moments.

I liked the mid-episode cliff-hanger as Brisco and Iphigenia are tied to a tree bound with leather, which will fire a rifle at them as the leather tightens in the heat. You can't accuse them of not coming up with creative cliff-hangers for Brisco!

We also see the return of Pete Hutter, despite him being killed in the Pilot. He is killed again here, establishing a running gag for the series (long before Kenny in 'South Park'!).

The episode also features Professor Wickwire, which is always a bonus. This time he's invented a diving suit, which – wouldn't you know it – conveniently is needed by the villains of the episode to try and reach their sunken booty. Talk about coincidence!

With it being the first standard episode of the series that I have seen, I'm not really sure how to sum up this story, as I've got no benchmark to compare it against. It wasn't quite as sharp as the Pilot, but was a good enough episode in itself.