The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius

How to Sink a Sub / Lady Sings the News

Aired Weekdays 7:30 PM Nov 17, 2006 on Nickelodeon

• A bit rushed, but funny and cute.

There are a number of viewers out there who feel that this episode was a bit rushed and perhaps could’ve easily been a half hour show. Naturally I agree with this opinion but I thought LSTN was still funny and very cute. I guess the folks at DNA were wrapping things up for JN as a whole, seeing that it’s not very likely that there will be a fourth season and all. For a lot of viewers, this is a sad realization since JN has been a great show all the way from its beginnings in 2002. What we see in LSTN would be, what most consider, the final curtain call for the characters. The slightly somber piano cadence at the episode’s final rewarding moments say it all, “Thank you for watching, it was all very fun but the show’s over now!” Looking closely at this episode we see some very revealing things. We see that Cindy’s crush on Jimmy is more “out in the open” as she’s sharing her flirtatious encounters with him to Libby. We also see that Jimmy got his techniques for wooing girls from his father as we see him briefly doing “Mr. Walking hand” with a delighted Cindy. Hey, if it worked for Hugh, why not Jimmy right? After all, Hugh still does his playful romantic skits with Judy throughout the shows various episodes. Most of all, we notice that Jimmy, Cindy, Libby, Carl, and Sheen are indeed good friends now. Their interaction in early episodes seemed more combative as girls and boys are at those ages. Now we see that they’ve grown up and show genuine friendship for one another. In the case of Jimmy and Cindy, we all know that fate has paired them from the beginning weather they knew it or not. Perhaps Cindy knew it all along, Jimmy just needed more convincing. Some other nice touches are Cindy’s hairstyle during the news broadcast. For those of us who remember that brief shot of the fantasy Cindy during the love potion episode, we saw her with hair up in a bun and a few golden strands of hair falling around her demure green eyes, Lab coat, bifocals, and a pencil resting on her ear. Jimmy’s dream girl was completely revealed in one brief moment. Cindy wore her hair in a similar fashion while doing the news in LSTN, which could’ve been the remaining spark he needed to get completely on board with this whole Cindy romance thing. The kiss was very sudden too; so sudden that Cindy can’t help but pause with a stunned look on her face. That is until she opens up with a smile that we briefly see before she runs to take Jimmy’s hand for their “Walk off the stage together” moment. I’ve said this before, but why not again? LSTN shows us what we’ve all wanted to see with these wonderful characters. They have all grown up together, they will be friends for the rest of their lives, and that Jimmy and Cindy are truly in love. What ending could be better? Perhaps there will be a spin-off show or other episodes involving these characters. In any case, it’s sad to think that LSTN will be the last minutes we see them in their world. It’s amazing that a kids cartoon could convey so much comedy, drama, and romance but as we all know, JN was more than just another kids cartoon. Everyone who watched it was always entertained or touched in some way. For now I guess that Jimmy Neutron and his friends will just move on to High School, College, and Life in general. His enemies are all defeated, he’s got the girl (actually she’s got him), time for him to move on with life and I suspect that’s where the folks at DNA want to leave it!

Nick will probably air these newer episodes in the U.S. after the first of the year but in the mean time, I guess we can still enjoy the re-runs! “Win, Lose, and Kaboom” was still the best one of all in my opinion.