TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forgotten Episode?

The1Factotum1i1

[1]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 13

I have an episode, undoubtedly dated 23 December 1964, which recycles most

of an episode several years old. In it, Ozzie is coaxed into an amateur production

of Dickens, and his lack of time to find a Christmas tree. New material of a "Gee

honey, " remember that time when...." wraparound is shown.

This was not included in the syndication package and not rerun on ABC. It still has

it's original ads, including one where O&H go to the world's fair.

The point to ponder here is, as it has some new material included, shouldn't it

qualify as another episode?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vintagetvfan

[2]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 1
    Hi,

Sorry if this post comes out twice...I'm new to the board...the episode is called Busy Christmas and was released on DVD with three other seldom seen shows including the Lost Christmas Gift - I prefer the early shows but this is a treasure...Ozzie is so Ozzie in this one!

The1Factotum1i1

[3]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 13

I have recently found another episode, from summer of 1963, where Harriet stands alone at the opening to warn us that we're about to see a show from several years ago. I believe it was from 1958, presumably one that hadn't ever been re-run yet. So it might be that this happened a lot. They were on so long, they had the luxury of episodes so old, they were new again.

If ever a definative filmography were to be compiled, these new intros should be considered in some way, after all, that would also imply that something must have been removed from the original footage to make space for the new.

JarrodMcDonald

[4]Jan 17, 2010
    • level: 30
    I think that is indeed what happened...they reran episodes that had appeared several seasons earlier, with a newly filmed intro. Also, when the show went into reruns in the 80s on The Disney Channel, an elderly Harriet filmed some new wrap-arounds to accompany the shows with a newer, historical perspective added.

One of the more interesting intros from the days when the show was first produced is the one that features Rick and Wally (mostly Wally...I can't remember the title) and Ozzie and Harriet introduce it and say this is the only episode they don't appear in.