The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

ABC (ended 1966)

RoxieVelma

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet Fan Reviews (6)

• Way before my time

This show came on long before I was born. But thanks to syndication and networks like Nickelodeon, I have seen several of the episodes over the years. This show came about almost at the beginning of television. Even if it is a little corny by todays standards, back then it was quality programming. And it is still a fine example of a great family show.

I always liked Leave it to Beaver better, but this show was just as good in many ways. It's hard to believe that a show about a family actually starred a family. Even though Ricky Nelson met a tragic end in life, at least he left people something good to remember him by.
  • Wally Cox costars as hard nosed Professor Patterson and ends up as the one the Frat rents their extra room to. Cox is superb trying to fit in with boys half his age and mellows out nicely in the end. Janet Waldo (Meet Corlis Archer) plays his wife.

Ricky & Wally get harrassed by Professor Patterson (Wally Cox) for goofing off in class. When the Frat decides to rent out an extra room to raise money, Patterson moves in. Life becomes dull when Patterson enforces the bylaws. The boys play tricks on Patterson to make him move out, be he misinterprets this as the Frat treating him like a new pledge. After thanking the Frat members for making him a human again, he moves out when his wife (Janet Waldo) joins him from the town of his last teaching gig. Great episode and above average for series.
  • Classic and grew up with this as a kid!

I loved this show as a kid growing up in
    Florida at the time and that it was one
    Of my favorites as I used to have a crush on
    Ricky Nelson. As well as liked him more after he
    Died in a plane crash back in New Years Eve in
    1985. The first and only show that had a real life
    Family staring in it!
  • An old-school family comedy. Thes cast were actual family members.

An old-school family comedy. Thes cast were actual family members. If this is a show that you do not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to wish you had it on tape. Having it "on tape" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD's "records" or "albums." Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you.
  • Once again he lives up to its hype and never fails to surprise us. I loved this episode what with the whole character, Mcsteamy, Addison and even Mark flirting with scenes.

Once again he lives up to its hype and never fails to surprise us. I loved this episode what with the whole character, Mcsteamy, Addison and even Mark flirting with scenes. The dialogue (even when the characters are not even saying much) is powerful and revealing. Makes you wonder how the writers can come up with such smart yet witty storylines. Of course its still tv but hey it works for me! I didnt want the show to end!!!
  • More than the epitome of traditional family values that might be inferred from the way some people talk about it, this series was more of a live-action Simpsons, with a more functional family as its subject.

Ozzie and Harriet is often talked about as nothing more than a stereotype of 1950's values. Thus, it is unfairly regarded as boring and trite. Rather than showing how dull and boring the perfect traditional family could be, it celebrated the humor and fun in everyday life and its quirks.
    Most underrated was the comic talent of writer, director, producer, and performer Ozzie Nelson. He created a character who was hilariously adept and creative in avoiding work around the house, and thus was a more functional and less stupid Homer Simpson.
    Ozzie's talents as a performer really shined when the situation required in physical comedy he was nothing short of amazing. I remember seeing a rerun 35 years ago, in which Ozzie has to swallow a big wad of ice cream. Just watching him, I could FEEL the brain freeze he got, and I still feel it just remembering.
    As later situation comedies would be described, Ozzie and Harriet was often really "a show about nothing." Episodes were especially funny in the early years before sons David and Ricky got married and the writers began elaborate plotting (even then, it had its moments).
    The situations were believable but still funny-- Ozzie trying to convince everyone that he bought spot cleaner to help out an old lady instead of buying it to help out her sexy daughter, Ozzie scouring the town for tutti-fruity ice cream, Ozzie abandoned downtown in his pajamas, Ozzie trying to send back a pair of chairs sent by mistake, Ozzie having to sleep apart from Harriet because she misinterprets Ozzie's support for separate rooms for the boys.
    Since some of the shows can be obtained in the bargain DVD bins at Walmart and other places, do yourself a favor and give a few episodes a try.